Brook Universal Fighting Board Thread

Comments

• WallachWallach Joined: Posts: 204
    purbeast wrote: »
    Was there a necessary FW upgrade for the UFB in the past few months for PS4? I hadn't played SF5 on PS4 since like February, then I played it a little bit during the beta and I noticed my joystick was cutting out after what appeared to be the 8 minute timeout. I'd then have to unplug and replug it in. With the shitty matchmaking on SF5 the timing seemed to be perfect when it would cut out since I was only getting like 1 match every 8-10 minutes.

Yeah you need the latest one as there has been PS4 system software updates since then.

Unfortunately there was a PS4 system software update just this morning (4.70) which probably needs a new FW altogether to avoid timeouts, though Brook is usually pretty good about getting them out quickly.
  • purbeastpurbeast Joined: Posts: 4,625
    Okay cool thanks, I will just wait to hear as I'm in no hurry.
  • jopamojopamo Stuck in Silly-con Valley Joined: Posts: 906
    Yes there was. In April.
  • purbeastpurbeast Joined: Posts: 4,625
    edited May 30
    I'm trying to run the FW upgrade on my MacBook and nothing is happening when I plug it in after holding down the PS and Select buttons. Should it actually "do" anything on the application after I plug it in? Like is there quick visual feedback or should I wait longer?

EDIT:

I just went and blew the dust off my desktop Windows PC and updated it no problem. That tool makes it so simple.
    Post edited by purbeast on
  • jonyfrazejonyfraze jonyfraze Joined: Posts: 540
    the UFB seems ok after the 4.70 update and testing. I dont think were gonna need a patch this round! (also tested the p3/p4 board and the PS4+ Audio - all working as well).
    2016 SRK Tech Talk Custom Arcade Stick Maker of the Year
    custom cases & cabs • design • mods
    www.jonyfraze.com

instagram | twitter | facebook
  • Brook_EngineerBrook_Engineer Brook on fire Joined: Posts: 323
    purbeast wrote: »
    Was there a necessary FW upgrade for the UFB in the past few months for PS4? I hadn't played SF5 on PS4 since like February, then I played it a little bit during the beta and I noticed my joystick was cutting out after what appeared to be the 8 minute timeout. I'd then have to unplug and replug it in. With the shitty matchmaking on SF5 the timing seemed to be perfect when it would cut out since I was only getting like 1 match every 8-10 minutes.

http://www.brookaccessory.com/download/PS4/
  • xeleionxeleion Turn A = OG Curly Moustache Joined: Posts: 755
    Making a Hitbox with a Brook UFB this weekend. Is there anything in particular to Hitbox setups that I need to know? I saw a post about someone putting a switch to enable/disable the SOCD cleaner, what's the purpose of that?
  • ragingcyclonusragingcyclonus Joined: Posts: 27
    xeleion wrote: »
    Making a Hitbox with a Brook UFB this weekend. Is there anything in particular to Hitbox setups that I need to know? I saw a post about someone putting a switch to enable/disable the SOCD cleaner, what's the purpose of that?

https://www.reddit.com/r/StreetFighter/comments/60tpi0/about_hitbox_arcade_controllers_and_socd_cleaners/?st=j3f0za16&sh=c41d4bd1
    Madcatz TES+ (Brook PS4+audio)
    SFV/ST: Ryu
    edited June 2
    xeleion wrote: »

http://www.brookaccessory.com/download/PS4/
    Depend on what you need the directional output to be
  • nph84nph84 Joined: Posts: 4
    Recently hooked up the board in a Qanba Q4 stick and I have most of the connections complete. Used the one with the 2.54 and 2 mm pitch headers. I was just wondering, where in THE world do you find 2 mm pitch housing pieces and the pins that go in them?
    edited June 4
    http://www.jst-mfg.com/product/detail_e.php?series=199

Finding them depends on where you live. In North America, places like Digi-Key (my choice), Mouser Electronics, Adafruit, Pololu, and Sparkfun carry the contact pins, connectors and headers.

Check the PDF on the link I shared for individual part numbers. It makes it easier to pinpoint search.
  • Shin_KazShin_Kaz Joined: Posts: 205
    Thomson wrote: »
    Is it possible to program a specific combination (such as Select+Start) to the Home button on the board or anything of that sort?
    Adding another button hole would be near impossible for me and highly inconvenient.

THIS and remapping anything would be the best thing ever, the UFB would be a favorite for arcade cabs owner, just saying.

on my end, I never managed to update the fw while holding buttons, had to open my stick back up, bridge both buttons to GND screw terminal, and it worked perfectly.
  • energizerfellowenergizerfellow Joined: Posts: 79
    Any news on Switch support? Interest from SF2 obviously, but there's a bunch of Puyo Puyo Tetris players that would be very interested.
  • BeMahMahMaryBeMahMahMary Joined: Posts: 25
    Any news on Switch support? Interest from SF2 obviously, but there's a bunch of Puyo Puyo Tetris players that would be very interested.

Same. I'm excited to order and build one with a Universal Board.
  • oDHAOSooDHAOSo Joined: Posts: 20
    edited June 13

looking forward to hearing about brook's solution for the Nintendo Switch. There are tons of figting games in the eshop already and more on the way.
  • vegeta18vegeta18 Joined: Posts: 71
    edited June 15
    I play super smash bros for wiiU and other fighting games on a smashbox. Is it possible for me to install this pcb instead to make it so it works on multiple consoles.

http://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/06960737/

Here are some images of the smashbox inside and out.

http://imgur.com/a/x3qJr

what im unsure about is, right now for the dpad on the left side, there is a modifier switch that changes it from being regular dpad into modifier keys for the analog joystick. Will that be affected in any way if i change the pcb? Also will the buttons for each direction on c stick,dpad, and analog stick cause any problems since this is essentially a hitbox stick?
    SF4: chun li
    3rd strike: chun li
    tvc: Chun li/ Jun the swan
    sfxt: Chun Li/ Hwoarang
    Injustice: Green Lantern
    SSBM: Marth
    SSBB: Marth, pokemon trainer
  • TortaTorta A piece of Cake Joined: Posts: 706
    vegeta18 wrote: »
    I play super smash bros for wiiU and other fighting games on a smashbox. Is it possible for me to install this pcb instead to make it so it works on multiple consoles.

Here are some images of the smashbox inside and out.

http://imgur.com/a/x3qJr

what im unsure about is, right now for the dpad on the left side, there is a modifier switch that changes it from being regular dpad into modifier keys for the analog joystick. Will that be affected in any way if i change the pcb? Also will the buttons for each direction on c stick,dpad, and analog stick cause any problems since this is essentially a hitbox stick?

iirc UFB wiiU mode is only for pokken :(
    VAMOS
    MCCthulhu >> all

KOFXIII: Ash/King/Vice
    edited June 15
    Torta wrote: »

iirc UFB wiiU mode is only for pokken :(

Yup.

@vegeta18 it says such on the link you shared:
    Manual Mode:
    step 1 : Press button:
    1P for PS3
    2P for PS4
    3P for Xbox 360
    4P for Xbox One
    1K for Wii U - Pokken Tournament
    2K for Original Xbox
  • DonkeyBlonkeyDonkeyBlonkey Part-Time Warrior/Soldier! Joined: Posts: 1,484
    edited June 18
    So I just installed one of these for a friend in his Madcatz VS 360 Stick. Installed the newest firmware and it worked great.

Then later he started to use the stick more then said the 2P and 4k stopped working. I gutted the stick to check what the issue was and it was all soldered fine and nothing was touching each other (Bare in mind it was all hot glued as well) So I thought maybe the hot glue was wrong.

So I removed the hot glue, played 20 mins in training mode and it worked fine. I give it back to him and now he tells me 1P doesn't work.

So at this point I checked again and everything is fine and now i am really confused. I'm thinking of desoldering and resoldering everything but not sure if that'll fix the issue.

Edit: I ended up resoldering everything with a cleaner job and it works flawlessly now.
    Post edited by DonkeyBlonkey on
    Bond: Vodka Martini.
    Bartender: Shaken or Stirred?
    Bond: Does it look like I give a damn?
  • ShinMagusShinMagus Joined: Posts: 395 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited June 19
    Hmmm... I wonder if Switch support via firmware update will happen for the UFB or only for the Wii U-targeted converters...
    Post edited by ShinMagus on
    Magus
    12000 B.C. - Dark Ages
    "The black wind begins to blow..."
    "Can you hear that? It's the sound of the Reaper."
  • javjmbjavjmb Joined: Posts: 1
    Hey. I was looking into getting this board. But is it simple to have led buttons with this board?
    javjmb wrote: »
    Hey. I was looking into getting this board. But is it simple to have led buttons with this board?

simple
  • SephirothRKSephirothRK Joined: Posts: 15
    Megahurtz wrote: »
    I'm reading that the 3.0 Switch firmware update that was released last night added Pokken controller support to all Switch games. Anybody tried the UFB in Pokken mode on the Switch yet?

Edit: Ok, dug my dock out of the box and hooked it up to the tv. Tested USFII and can confirm that the UFB works system wide, with a few caveats:

-Auto detect doesn't work, and you must manually hold down 1K when you plug it in to force WiiU/Pokken mode.
    -Home button doesn't work. I think the Pokken controller doesn't have a home button?
    -You may need a Switch controller paired in order to navigate through the menus and connect the UFB. Didn't do extensive testing, but I turned the system on with my joycons, went to the controller menu, then added the UFB controller. Don't know if you could do that without the joycons. Regardless, you'll need another controller to return to the menu and exit a game.

Almost perfect, if only auto detect and the menu/capture buttons worked.

Fucking amazing, I just tried it was USF2, can stop playing on shitty dpad.
  • x64x64 Fuck your SRK Joined: Posts: 3,149
    You don't need to sync it to the switch with a UFB. Just power on manually, plug in with 1K and you're off to the races. No home button like mentioned so have a joycon handy. If you lose controls when you start a game your stick is probably connected as player 2 (which will happen if you turn on the switch with a joycon or pro controller).
    ST/HDR/USF2: Honda/Rog/O.Hawk | USF4: Bison | SFV: Ryu :(
    XBL: mr x64 | PSN: deadpool_zero | SFV: epistaxis64
    Fightcade/USF2: x64
  • Zero1_Zero1_ Combo fraud Joined: Posts: 642
    I was hype but online is still so bad it's unplayable
  • hyp36rmaxhyp36rmax Joined: Posts: 122
    Oh yes to UFB Switch compatibility. I wonder if we'll get native support beyond just the pokken controller
  • SephirothRKSephirothRK Joined: Posts: 15
    hyp36rmax wrote: »
    Oh yes to UFB Switch compatibility. I wonder if we'll get native support beyond just the pokken controller

maybe when the hori wired controller is released.
  • MegahurtzMegahurtz Joined: Posts: 12
    Any news on official Switch support for the UFB? The new Switch system firmware also added an option for Switch Pro controllers to communicate over USB when plugged in...
  • GOGO.ZippyGOGO.Zippy Joined: Posts: 1,031
    Any news on official Switch support for the UFB? The new Switch system firmware also added an option for Switch Pro controllers to communicate over USB when plugged in...

@Megahurtz
    (1) Press 1K for Wii U - Pokken Tournament then plug it on Switch.
    (2) Update Switch system in V3.0.0 then controller sets in wired mode.
  • B4smanB4sman Joined: Posts: 8
    So if I have 3.0.0 firmware, I can connect a UFB, and it will work with any game?
    B4sman wrote: »
    So if I have 3.0.0 firmware, I can connect a UFB, and it will work with any game?

@B4sman
    I think UFB will work as Pro controller.
    Please try and share ..
    GOGO.Zippy wrote: »
    @studtrooper @SephirothRK
    Brook will release new version to support Home & Capture function soon.

THIS is what I'm waiting for. Pokken support is nice, but I'd much rather have the UFB auto detect the Switch and be recognized as a Pro controller.

• D.R.E.D.R.E. One. Little. Voice. Joined: Posts: 1,285
    just bought a UFB and am updating a xbox 360 round 1 TE..i was following this set of instructions http://www.ozhadou.net/upgrading-an-xbox-360-te-fightstick-to-brook-universal-fighting-board/

and all was good, but i'm confused on when they say plug in the Xbox button and the Ground from CN 4...i dont see a ground labeled on CN4..which one is it supposed to be?
  • djdigidjdigi Joined: Posts: 66
    D.R.E. wrote: »
    just bought a UFB and am updating a xbox 360 round 1 TE..i was following this set of instructions http://www.ozhadou.net/upgrading-an-xbox-360-te-fightstick-to-brook-universal-fighting-board/

and all was good, but i'm confused on when they say plug in the Xbox button and the Ground from CN 4...i dont see a ground labeled on CN4..which one is it supposed to be?

I'm not sure what CN 4 is either but just wanted to make sure you saw this diagram on http://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/06960737/ to see if it helps any.

ENEN%5E594F85BC5C76F368DFAEF3B028A4069BDBC757DABA00B3EDB6%5Epimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
    edited June 25
    There is no GND on CN4. The only leads are LB, Y, X, B, Turbo, and Home/Xbox. Take a look here:
    EXtTcK0.jpg.
    Just FYI, but the button terminal block has printed function identifiers. It will show you the desired ground lead you'll need.

If you are using this (IMHO poor) guide then I assume that you are taking most (or all) of the home panel out of commission. If so, that is a mistake. Check out the video following video to help you wire the home panel board:

Yeah, the audio quality (loud BGM over voice) ain't the best, and you can disregard "hitbox," but it is a great guide to keep the home panel intact.

If the work seems too advanced, you can always throw a few bucks at Gummo for a Home Panel Replacement Board. It's plug & play with the UFB (assuming you got the one with soldered-on headers). Get it HERE.

Take a look at THIS thread for more info.

Pretty please, don't jank up that beautiful stick with a half-ass mod (aka using that guide). That guide you are referencing is like teaching you how to bolt on a turbo kit to you car without properly showing your how to upgrade your air intake/exhaust, fuel, and ignition systems to compensate.
  • NTSC_SunkenNTSC_Sunken Joined: Posts: 10
    I can confirm that the UFB (with latest firmware) on the Switch 3.0 firmware is working with USFII

There's just the Capture & Home buttons missing.
  • Cyrox1Cyrox1 Joined: Posts: 2
    Hey! Having problems with Tekken 7 on PC/Steam with the Brook Universal PCB. I have the latest FW. My PC (Win 8.1) identifies the stick easily enough, but to get it to work in T7 I usually have to reboot my computer (then it works flawlessly). Also, on other peoples setups it has been working just fine.

See screenshots. Any clues?

https://gyazo.com/cfabf610d89866a1f581ae27ec99b178
    https://gyazo.com/9286d66b0c18e3ed4b65e05a79431403

Thanks!
    Cyrox1 wrote: »
    Hey! Having problems with Tekken 7 on PC/Steam with the Brook Universal PCB. I have the latest FW. My PC (Win 8.1) identifies the stick easily enough, but to get it to work in T7 I usually have to reboot my computer (then it works flawlessly). Also, on other peoples setups it has been working just fine.

See screenshots. Any clues?

https://gyazo.com/cfabf610d89866a1f581ae27ec99b178
    https://gyazo.com/9286d66b0c18e3ed4b65e05a79431403

Thanks!

reboot your pc and then everything's good?
    what about you play it on other PC?
  • Cyrox1Cyrox1 Joined: Posts: 2
    Yep. If I reboot it works, and I never had any problems on other peoples PC's. Something on my end probably...
  • telesnipertelesniper Joined: Posts: 365
    Cyrox1 wrote: »
    Yep. If I reboot it works, and I never had any problems on other peoples PC's. Something on my end probably...

Have you tried forcing it into any/all console modes before and after launching Tekken? Something else to check is your usb suspend settings under power settings and device manager. It may be that it's just not initializing correctly after boot.
  • NeoChaosXNeoChaosX loves violin music Joined: Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited June 29
    So I don't know how many folks actually make use of it, but I want to thank Brook for adding OG Xbox support in the UFB. I still have my Xbox laying around with a few fighters (SF Anniversary Collection, Soulcalibur II, DOA3) and used the USB-to-Xbox converter cable I bought years ago to try it out with with my TE2 modded with a UFB + Jasen's Ez Mod.

First things first: IT WORKS WITH SOULCALIBUR II! The last multiconsole PCB I used, the PS360+, had Xbox support that worked on everything EXCEPT SCII - I even created a thread here about the issue years ago. Finally happy to see an up-to-date PCB that finally solves that issue.

Second: Can we get the button layout changed a bit in this mode? 1P/2P/1K/2K are fine, but currently the rest of the buttons are

3P = Black
    3K = RT
    4P = White
    4K = LT

I get why it's done that way (matches how the buttons are mapped when playing Xbox games on 360), but I think the layout used by the PS360+ and MC Cthulhu made more sense. Those boards had it

3P = White
    3K = Black
    4P = LT
    4K = RT

These actually map better to the defaults in a lot of Xbox games, including Soulcalibur II (preset B in that game is a perfect match for the arcade layout) and SF Anniversary Collection (it uses White and Black for HP and HK by default, and doesn't allow remapping of the triggers - LT and RT are mirrors of Black and White, respectively). Might be a bit too much to ask for a mode for a rarely-used console, but it would be bit of a time-saver in regards to remapping buttons.
    Post edited by NeoChaosX on
    Steam/CFN: NeoChaos | PSN: NeoChaosX
    Project Justice: Yurika/Chairperson/Kurow | SFV: Karin | DOA5LR: Helena | Tekken 7: Lili
    GOGO.Zippy wrote: »
    @studtrooper @SephirothRK
    Brook will release new version to support Home & Capture function soon.

THIS is what I'm waiting for. Pokken support is nice, but I'd much rather have the UFB auto detect the Switch and be recognized as a Pro controller.
    If UFB wanted to be
    NeoChaosX wrote: »
    So I don't know how many folks actually make use of it, but I want to thank Brook for adding OG Xbox support in the UFB. I still have my Xbox laying around with a few fighters (SF Anniversary Collection, Soulcalibur II, DOA3) and used the USB-to-Xbox converter cable I bought years ago to try it out with with my TE2 modded with a UFB + Jasen's Ez Mod.

First things first: IT WORKS WITH SOULCALIBUR II! The last multiconsole PCB I used, the PS360+, had Xbox support that worked on everything EXCEPT SCII - I even created a thread here about the issue years ago. Finally happy to see an up-to-date PCB that finally solves that issue.

Second: Can we get the button layout changed a bit in this mode? 1P/2P/1K/2K are fine, but currently the rest of the buttons are

3P = Black
    3K = RT
    4P = White
    4K = LT

I get why it's done that way (matches how the buttons are mapped when playing Xbox games on 360), but I think the layout used by the PS360+ and MC Cthulhu made more sense. Those boards had it

3P = White
    3K = Black
    4P = LT
    4K = RT

These actually map better to the defaults in a lot of Xbox games, including Soulcalibur II (preset B in that game is a perfect match for the arcade layout) and SF Anniversary Collection (it uses White and Black for HP and HK by default, and doesn't allow remapping of the triggers - LT and RT are mirrors of Black and White, respectively). Might be a bit too much to ask for a mode for a rarely-used console, but it would be bit of a time-saver in regards to remapping buttons.

@Megahurtz
    The UFB already supported Xbox console
    Please 2K for Original Xbox then plug in a usb on XBOX

About button layouts, We will search more and discuss more bros.

Thanks your advice
  • rcaidorcaido Dynamic Bayside Duo Joined: Posts: 8,288
    Can't seem to do the raging demon on ultrasf2. Can someone here test to see if it works with their ufb.
    rcaido wrote: »
    Can't seem to do the raging demon on ultrasf2. Can someone here test to see if it works with their ufb.

Timing on it is very picky, which is weird considering how lenient they made input timing for just about everything else in USFII. It is definitely easier on stick than on the joycons, but I feel like when I get it to come out that I'm almost pressing short kick and fierce punch at nearly the same time. There seems to be a very small window to mash out the entire string.

I really wish they would patch a few minor things in USFII, and beyond UI and background bugs, the raging demon needs to be loosened up.
  • djdigidjdigi Joined: Posts: 66
    NeoChaosX wrote: »

3P = Black
    3K = RT
    4P = White
    4K = LT

3P = White
    3K = Black
    4P = LT
    4K = RT

Thanks for the idea! Time to knock the dust off the OG Xbox, lol
  • rcaidorcaido Dynamic Bayside Duo Joined: Posts: 8,288

Alright so i receive my PS3/PS4 to Wii U converter today & i can do the raging demon just fine.

What do you think can be the issue not being able to do it on the Universal Brooks PCB on my Kraylix cab? I tried player 1 & player 2 cant get it to work.

Alright so i receive my PS3/PS4 to Wii U converter today & i can do the raging demon just fine.

What do you think can be the issue not being able to do it on the Universal Brooks PCB on my Kraylix cab? I tried player 1 & player 2 cant get it to work.

@rcaido
    Can the UFB work on PC or others consoles?
    Or press 3P then plug in usb to try