Brook Universal Fighting Board Thread

Comments

• aabyssxaabyssx Joined: Posts: 39
    On PC which mode is preferred for the lowest input lag.
  • jopamojopamo Stuck in Silly-con Valley Joined: Posts: 915
    edited July 2
    How do you suppose signals passing through the same traces...to the same processor...to the same USB port... just in a different mode..renders those output signals slower than in another?

Press 3P while connecting your stick. You've just connected your Xbox 360 controller.
    Voila! It's wonderful!
  • x64x64 Fuck your SRK Joined: Posts: 3,151
    aabyssx wrote: »
    On PC which mode is preferred for the lowest input lag.

I've seen tests saying a lot of different things. I agree with jopamo, set it to xb360 and forget about it.
    ST/HDR/USF2: Honda/Rog/O.Hawk | USF4: Bison | SFV: Ryu :(
    XBL: mr x64 | PSN: deadpool_zero | SFV: epistaxis64
    Fightcade/USF2: x64
  • ShinMagusShinMagus Joined: Posts: 395 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited July 2
    I've done tests myself and I can tell you the Xbox360 mode comes in 4th. And the WiiU mode is clearly slow compared to the others. PS3 vs PS4 may be too close to call, so I'm happy considering them equivalent, but there's no XInput support there. XboxOne (XInput here) next, then Xbox360.

I don't know about you, but auto-detect places the board in XboxOne mode in my experience, not Xbox360 mode. Since I value XInput support, I tend to just use XboxOne mode. :P

PS: in Xbox360 mode, the board is still as fast as the fastest Xbox360 PCBs. It's just that the XboxOne, PS3 and PS4 modes are even faster.
    Magus
    12000 B.C. - Dark Ages
    "The black wind begins to blow..."
    "Can you hear that? It's the sound of the Reaper."
    Oh no.. not this crap again :rolleyes:
    edited July 2
    jopamo wrote: »
    How do you suppose signals passing through the same traces...to the same processor...to the same USB port... just in a different mode..renders those output signals slower than in another?

Press 3P while connecting your stick. You've just connected your Xbox 360 controller.
    Voila! It's wonderful!

Because the firmware can make a world of difference, and each mode is a different "program", roughly speaking. Just to give an extreme absurd example: it could intentionally wait ten seconds if for some reason this were desired. Your explanation was really naive.
    Magus
    12000 B.C. - Dark Ages
    edited July 3
    Ok, yeah. I'll definitely give you that . However, I don't notice any difference at all. Neither does any one else in anyone's stick in which I've installed a UFB.
  • BiggzBiggz Joined: Posts: 41
    jopamo wrote: »
    Ok, yeah. I'll definitely give you that . However, I don't notice any difference at all. Neither does any one else in anyone's stick in which I've installed a UFB.

I usually use PS4 mode on PC because at some point in the past I thought I noticed it feeling quicker than XB1... but I've not done any tests. (It was probably me havinga bad game and my inputs didn't come out so I blamed the UFB and not myself :s )

Just checked on my PC now and I was playing last night in 360 mode and I didn't notice until now.

edited July 3
    Just to be clear, I'm not saying the Xbox360 mode is slow. Just that the XboxOne, PS3 and PS4 modes are faster than it. If you take two Brook UFBs with a single button connected to both of them and do tests, you'll find out the same. :) I personally use Ryu's Solar Plexus Strike in USF4 over 500 attempts (two players facing each other).
    Magus
    12000 B.C. - Dark Ages
  • VarmintBabyVarmintBaby Joined: Posts: 443
    PS4 mode is fastests, with PS3 behind, then 360
    "Play the game to learn not to win. Do this and winning will start to come all on its own." - some smart guy
  • Hustle KongHustle Kong Joined: Posts: 367 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Love that Sanrio!
    "Street Fighting's my communication!"
  • k701k701 Joined: Posts: 36
    edited July 3
    butteroj wrote: »
    Been playing around with the upcoming fw update giving full functionality to the Switch(home/capture) and it is flawless. Works on the home screen as well. As always Brook has not failed to impress.

Can anyone download and test it or is it an internal thing?
  • ThrillsonThrillson Joined: Posts: 1
    Hey guys, I recently picked up a UFB to put into one of my hori rap vx sa. Does anybody have experience with this stick? I'm having some trouble figuring out how to connect the daughter board that has the LSB, RSB, home button etc on it. Sorry for the noob question, this is my first mod and I feel like I'm in way over my head here.
  • nbballardnbballard Joined: Posts: 6
    I have a TE2+ with a UFB & EZMod. I have the original madcatz LED board in it and it is running properly after i spliced 2 of the 3 wires together.

I recently purchased a kowal hollow shaft / hollow balltop and want to get it lit too. I'm not looking for anything crazy- just a light that shines through.

Can anyone provide some guidance on what I need to make this work?
  • klexenklexen Joined: Posts: 4
    Been playing around with the upcoming fw update giving full functionality to the Switch(home/capture) and it is flawless. Works on the home screen as well. As always Brook has not failed to impress.

Could you hook me up with that update please?

edited July 5
    klexen wrote: »

Isn't the update ON the switch? And just download the latest firmware from Brooks site if you haven't already.
    "Play the game to learn not to win. Do this and winning will start to come all on its own." - some smart guy
  • klexenklexen Joined: Posts: 4
    klexen wrote: »

Isn't the update ON the switch? And just download the latest firmware from Brooks site if you haven't already.

No, he's using a new unreleased firmware for the UFB that makes the home/screenshot buttons work.
  • DonkeyBlonkeyDonkeyBlonkey Part-Time Warrior/Soldier! Joined: Posts: 1,484
    Trying to Mod a friends Razer Aatrox (Xbox One new version) and confused where to go about regarding the home panel with the lock and unlock switch.
    Bond: Vodka Martini.
    Bartender: Shaken or Stirred?
    Bond: Does it look like I give a damn?
  • x64x64 Fuck your SRK Joined: Posts: 3,151
    edited July 14

3283BA4A-FE9B-410D-ADCE-F00B8A60021C_zpspwj0ygq3.jpg

I just got sent the beta fw and too can confirm it works splendidly. If anyone's curious, it will still show up as a pokken controller when you plug it into a PC with 1K held down but the home/record (start/select?) buttons now work.
    ST/HDR/USF2: Honda/Rog/O.Hawk | USF4: Bison | SFV: Ryu :(
    XBL: mr x64 | PSN: deadpool_zero | SFV: epistaxis64
    Fightcade/USF2: x64
  • D.R.E.D.R.E. One. Little. Voice. Joined: Posts: 1,285
    edited July 16
    ok, i finally got a chance to try to install things again..

i followed the advice in this thread and went and bought a UFB with pre soldered headers as well as a HRP

i have the red wire from the HRP connected to the UFB as well as the 4 and 6 pin connectors
    A2Tc330.jpg
    i'm confused on what my next step should be?..is there anyway around soldering the original usb cord in the xbox 360 stick to the UFB? what do i do with CN 1 and CN 2? the video that was linked wasnt too clear, as it seems the one in that video is a dfferent model UFB than the one i have? this is what my stick looks like now..

VaYLf2h.jpg
    Post edited by D.R.E. on
    edited July 16
    You can just strip and then solder the wire leads from the existing USB cable to the appropriate "J6-1" leads (I recommend on the underside) of the UFB (as you already have a soldered on header there)...
    321.jpg

..or can instead crimp on "DuPont" (common name) 2.54mm pitch connectors to the existing soldered on header at J6-1. I got a kit with a set of connectors and crimp pins together on Amazon. You'll need a decent crimper too. I use an iWISS SN-28b.
    7ngu04Il.jpg

Check the image below
    EXtTcK0.jpg
    Clip and strip the grey wires at the CN1 and CN2 connectors on the PCB that lead from the button wire terminal block. Make sure to first label them properly (tape works for labels, black marker the Ground wire), and then connect them to the screw terminals on the UFB. The Red wire on the HPR board should correspond to Home. Just note that a couple of these boards had the red wire swapped with the black on the two-pin connector. If the Home button doesn't respond properly after it's connected, just swap for the other wire.

Here's a large photo (for reference) of a HPR and UFB I installed on my friend's TE.
    yp9dsnC.jpg
    Post edited by jopamo on
  • B4smanB4sman Joined: Posts: 8
    I installed this board in my stick (the same one as the post above me but the PS3 version). However, I done goofed up and broke the home button. Is there a button combination that this board supports that emulates a home button press?
  • WHITE_4ND_N3RDYWHITE_4ND_N3RDY Joined: Posts: 96
    edited July 16
    I would post clear pictures of your goof up so others can better understand the extent of damage u did to your ufb . If u just busted one of your screw terminals then u can still solder to the via point on the busyted screw terminals and still get home functions.
    WHITE 4ND N3RDY: Acidmods admin, Controllermax staff member. Cement Masons Local 555, representing the triple nickel.
  • B4smanB4sman Joined: Posts: 8
    Woops, my bad. The UFB is perfectly fine. I messed up the traces on the stick's own PCB. I could spend 2 hours fixing this. But I could also drill another 24mm hole and hook up a new button to home, as that's faster. I don't care for the looks of my stick. But my question remains: instead of doing any of this, is there a button combo I can press to get the same result as pressing the home button?
    B4sman wrote: »
    Woops, my bad. The UFB is perfectly fine. I messed up the traces on the stick's own PCB. I could spend 2 hours fixing this. But I could also drill another 24mm hole and hook up a new button to home, as that's faster. I don't care for the looks of my stick. But my question remains: instead of doing any of this, is there a button combo I can press to get the same result as pressing the home button?

I'm pretty sure the answer is no....
  • SPECTERLIGHTSPECTERLIGHT METRO CITY NINJUTSU Joined: Posts: 737
    Greetings Tech Wizards,
    I have had a Brook 360 to PS4 converter for a while. It was up to date a year ago. A few questions. Can I update the converter via actual PS4 or on a Smartphone? My computer is 12 years old, a g5 iMac.
    Is it worth updating? PS4 system updates come out frequently.
    How much should I expect to spend on having an expert mod a MCZ SFxTekken V.S. Pro stick? After I purchase the 5-in-1 board?
    Disciplines: Bushin-Ryu-Ninpo, Street Fighting, Demonology, IGA Ninjitsu, Bushido, Alchemy, English Boxing, Wing Chun, Shaolin Gung Fu, Muay Thai, Tae Kwon Do, Igyo Tenshin-no-Jutsu, SFCQC, Swordplay, Garou Ryū MMA, Kusanagi Ryū Kobujutsu, Yagami M.Arts, Gun Kata...
    “There is nothing outside of yourself that can ever enable you to get better, stronger, richer, quicker, or smarter. Everything is within. Everything exists. Seek nothing outside of yourself.” 武神

RIN-PYOU-TOU-SHA-KAI-JIN-RETSU-ZAI-ZEN
  • Brook_EngineerBrook_Engineer Brook on fire Joined: Posts: 324
    Greetings Tech Wizards,
    I have had a Brook 360 to PS4 converter for a while. It was up to date a year ago. A few questions. Can I update the converter via actual PS4 or on a Smartphone? My computer is 12 years old, a g5 iMac.
    How much should I expect to spend on having an expert mod a MCZ SFxTekken V.S. Pro stick? After I purchase the 5-in-1 board?

firmware update should be done on PC, and Windows is suggested
    if there's no problem, you don't need it to be updated actually
  • SPECTERLIGHTSPECTERLIGHT METRO CITY NINJUTSU Joined: Posts: 737
    Greetings Tech Wizards,

firmware update should be done on PC, and Windows is suggested
    if there's no problem, you don't need it to be updated actually

I actually haven't tried using it in a while since I have the TE2+, but I'll test it out later and get back to you.
    Thanks for quick response
    Disciplines: Bushin-Ryu-Ninpo, Street Fighting, Demonology, IGA Ninjitsu, Bushido, Alchemy, English Boxing, Wing Chun, Shaolin Gung Fu, Muay Thai, Tae Kwon Do, Igyo Tenshin-no-Jutsu, SFCQC, Swordplay, Garou Ryū MMA, Kusanagi Ryū Kobujutsu, Yagami M.Arts, Gun Kata...
    “There is nothing outside of yourself that can ever enable you to get better, stronger, richer, quicker, or smarter. Everything is within. Everything exists. Seek nothing outside of yourself.” 武神

RIN-PYOU-TOU-SHA-KAI-JIN-RETSU-ZAI-ZEN
  • SolodusSolodus Joined: Posts: 9
    Hey guys I picked up a Hori Fighting Edge(PS3 ver.) and was wondering if there is a tutorial on how to make the leds and touch panel work with the Brook UFB.

Thanks!
    Hmmm... Does Brook intend to provide full Switch support to the Universal Fighting Board? (I'm referring to having all the buttons available...)
    Magus
    12000 B.C. - Dark Ages
  • Brook_EngineerBrook_Engineer Brook on fire Joined: Posts: 324
    ShinMagus wrote: »
    Hmmm... Does Brook intend to provide full Switch support to the Universal Fighting Board? (I'm referring to having all the buttons available...)

i wouldn't say no
  • igloo77055igloo77055 Joined: Posts: 34
    Solodus wrote: »
    Hey guys I picked up a Hori Fighting Edge(PS3 ver.) and was wondering if there is a tutorial on how to make the leds and touch panel work with the Brook UFB.

Thanks!

Touch panel does work, it just needs power, ground, and their corresponding buttons attached to the screw terminals.
    Regarding the LEDs I never bothered with them, as you possibly need resistors and there's no way to control how the lighting works since the original board isn't present.
    What I've done is add RGB leds to the two sides, and it works mostly okay. Running this with a Kaimana Mini.
    I have pictures if you're interested.
  • MaximilianoMaximiliano Joined: Posts: 706
    edited July 21
    Hey guys. I have a question about the Brook Universal Fighting Board, and I got pretty close to finding an answer here: http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/10836478/#Comment_10836478

I want to be able to connect my USB to RJ45 cable through my RJ45 latch pass-through, which is connected to my UFB.

I already have a USB to RJ45 cable and the RJ45 pass-through (left over from my PS360+). Now I just need to figure out how to connect it to my UFB.

I tried using USB to RJ45 converters to use between the pass-through and the actual board, but those didn't work.

What am I missing?

EDIT: Wait I'm thinking of the wrong cable. I think I may have figured it out.
    Post edited by Maximiliano on
  • SolodusSolodus Joined: Posts: 9
    @igloo77055 I got the touch panel buttons to work. I ordered resistors to get the touch panel leds and the side panel leds to work. I plan on wiring the side panel leds to a three way toggle switch to switch between them. If everything ends up working I plan on posting a how to on picture. I'd love to see how yours is connected.
  • igloo77055igloo77055 Joined: Posts: 34
    Solodus wrote: »
    @igloo77055 I got the touch panel buttons to work. I ordered resistors to get the touch panel leds and the side panel leds to work. I plan on wiring the side panel leds to a three way toggle switch to switch between them. If everything ends up working I plan on posting a how to on picture. I'd love to see how yours is connected.
    I did it last year, I don't even remember which color is which, but I did follow someone's notes in the FE thread.
    Anyway, here's a Google Album with a bunch of pictures of the wiring from way back when: https://photos.app.goo.gl/430eKzx8yhuobUwi1

• KonsolkongenKonsolkongen Joined: Posts: 30
    edited July 25
    I got my UFB yesterday. Very pleased with it, and very surprised that it already supports Switch :)

My one complaint about the Switch mode is that Capture is mapped to the Touchpad button. Capture should use the PS4 Share button, that would make much more sense.

I don't have the Share button wired up, so I have no way to press minus on the Switch as is :(

Hope this will be taken into consideration.
    edited July 25
    My one complaint about the Switch mode is that Capture is mapped to the Touchpad button. Capture should use the PS4 Share button, that would make much more sense.
    Uh...no.
    I don't have the Share button wired up, so I have no way to press minus on the Switch as is :(
    What would make EVEN MORE sense is to have a Share/Select button on your stick... as it's used by an entire array of consoles (and the touchpad button is really used by only one).

The config is really fine as it is. Select is minus (like it is on nearly every other Nintendo game controller since the Wii).
    217630_detail_01.jpg
    41jK%2BTGzztL.jpg
    41hMDFpZdOL.jpg

Select is more important than touchpad on the Switch. Touchpad is anecdotal, hence why capture was assigned to it (and rightfully so).
    Post edited by jopamo on
    You're wrong. The Touchpad button is also used as select on every other console. Which is why I'm using that as the Touchpad actually has some use in several games. The Share button does not.

It makes very little sense to me why Share was prioritised over the Touchpad.

And like I said, it only makes sense to have Capture on the Switch on the same button as Share on the PS4 as they do the exact same thing.
    edited July 25
    I'm not wrong. Touchpad button alternates as Select in consoles where the touchpad function is not used. I know this as I use my Brook UFB enabled sticks mostly on my PC (in both xb360 and xb1 modes)---where Touchpad and Select are the SAME function. This is the same in PS3 mode that I use on my Raspberry Pis. In PS4 mode (and only in PS4 mode) they are discrete functions.

Just because you cannot grasp the concept of Select being prioritized as minus (where it's even frakking geographically located on the Pro controller for Christ's sake), doesn't mean the Brook team should release a firmware update to appease your unjustified stubbornness. Just because you used a PS4 mainly before you stood in line for a Switch (and want to feel all warm and fuzzy inside by omitting Select on your stick) doesn't mean that we should all be inconvenienced.

edited July 25
    That's exactly what I just said. Touchpad is select on other consoles...

Anyway you can keep your insults to yourself. I wasn't asking your opinion anyway, I care very little. I just wanted to let the Brook developer who frequents this thread know that I thought it would make more sense to have the Switch Capture and PS4 Share on the same button, instead of having to remember what button does what on every single console.
  • DubonDubon Joined: Posts: 437
    edited July 25
    Most people have touchpadbutton wired up to their old turbobutton and select (share) to, you know, select/back. Thats how brook has documented the wiring ever since the UFB got released. Originally the tpb only had a purpose on PS4, and according to Brooks documentation it still does. Ps4 sfv doesnt need select so alot of ps4 only owners wired tpb up to their old select buttons. Brook then added the ability for tpb to act as a secondary select button on platforms that only required start and select (and home). That doesnt take away from the fact that it is still a secondary select button, and thus imo, select (share) should remain select.
    Changing this now would essentially screw over all those people who followed the instal diagrams that brook had on their site for more then a year.

BUTTON%20CONFIG%20UFBBBB.JPG
    You're right. There is no good solution to this :)

I'm just gonna have to see if minus on the Switch turns out to be more needed than TP on the PS4.
    What stick do you have anyway?
  • ykdykd Joined: Posts: 12
    Hi guys. Just built a hitbox with a Brook UFB in it. I updated the pcb and it was successful. However im still getting the 8 minute timeout happening. I've tried redoing it and anything else I can think of. Does anyone else possibly have experience with this ?
    Thanks guys.
    Its been reported in this thread before so if you skim through it you should find the solution. Off the top of my head iirc it was a windows issue. What OS are you running?
    Dubon wrote: »
    What stick do you have anyway?

It's a Hori RAP. But it was originally for Xbox so I removed the hideous plastic piece with the headphone tumor-plug in the left corner.

I designed a custom PCB for my old MC Cthulhu, with space for a Mega Drive 6-button controller IC on the bottom side.
    I also added multiplexers so I can swap the bottom and the top row of buttons by the flick of a switch. This is ideal for playing 3-button Mega Drive games, as it's much more comfortable using the top row. If I play something like Street Fighter 2 I of course leave the buttons in the default position, so it works like normal, using both row of buttons.

I didn't want to add extra buttons so I added two OR gates so I could simulate extra buttons by pressing two at the same time. That means that I can use Start + Select as Home, and 1P + Select as PS4 Share. This all works fine.

So actually, yes I technically have a way to press Minus on the Switch by pressing 1P and Select, but this is inconvenient as it also takes a screenshot every single time :P

When I designed this there was no Switch support on the UFB, but I was pretty confident that if that happened it would use the same button for Share and Capture :) Had I known I would probably have designed my PCB differently. But I don't want to redo it, so I'll probably just have to decide between PS4 Touchpad button and Switch Minus.

Below is an image of my current installation. I plan to add a separate board that connects to a DC controller PCB (for VMU support), and maybe also Wii Classic Controller support.

p12-content.icloud.com:443&x=1&a=Bid7nIB4Tp%2F8EdtjH4DGaal6V2ASA7y1PAEAAA%3D%3D&e=1501025010000&r=7f2af40c-5568-4c83-b08d-00a1bb811e2a-12&c=&s=Bt4LNppSq46LL4u34Z3QWwu8xwk
    You can get rekt me all you want, broseph. It won't make you any less wrong (or less arrogant).
  • ykdykd Joined: Posts: 12
    Dubon wrote: »
    Its been reported in this thread before so if you skim through it you should find the solution. Off the top of my head iirc it was a windows issue. What OS are you running?

Windows 10 my friend. I will take a look through here for sure i must have missed it.
    Ok nm then i thought it was win 8 that had issues with updating.