R.Mika Video Thread: "I'll Totally Make This Look Cool!"

Mr. FlowersMr. Flowers Omega MaleJoined: Posts: 2,085 mod
edited March 2016 in R. Mika

And I say 'Hey!' [V-Skill]
What a wonderful kind of way,
Where we can learn to work and play,
And get along with R. Mika...

Video is a great source of entertainment and great for teaching and learning.
So with that in mind lets visually share awesome match and tournament videos, match up breakdowns, setups, resets, shenanigans, highlight reels, combo videos etc here.

To start, I created a youtube playlist and added R. Mika videos that I thought were cool or useful in someway. At this time of posting its full of beta build stuff since the game isn't out until next tuesday but I aim to keep working on the playlist over time.

Post edited by Mr. Flowers on
Don't nerf me!

Comments

• Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero "Just making functions give in to unwanted pleasure..." Joined: Posts: 2,937
    Thank you for making the thread!
    I am going to post these videos so that we can have a good start:

Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GDHTP | Twitch Channel: great_dark_hero
    PSN: Dark_Ice_Saiko
    KOFXIV: Kyo / Geese / Mai [Luong, MuiMui, Geese, Leona, Shun, Beni, King, Terry]
    DOA5LR: Mai [Nyotengu, Kasumi]
    Tekken 7: Heihachi [Xiaoyu, M. Raven, Eliza, Jin, Lars]
    BBCF: Hakumen[Azaerl, Nine, Izayoi]
    SFV : ??????????????????
    Come to dreamcancel.com for KOFXIV FAQS, wiki-updates, and mini-guides!

• Mr. FlowersMr. Flowers Omega Male Joined: Posts: 2,085 mod
    Alright so today was my first time ever playing SFV. Thought I'd share my crappy matches. I didn't have a match where everything comes together so its all hit and miss. Not great punishes,being predictable and unsafe. Being hasty or hesitant. I even forgot to use my V-reversal in these videos but I used it often other times.

I hope everyone else starts sharing their gameplay too.

Don't nerf me!
  • HanDred_FistHanDred_Fist Reporting live! Joined: Posts: 242
    edited February 2016
    Alright so today was my first time ever playing SFV. Thought I'd share my crappy matches. I didn't have a match where everything comes together so its all hit and miss. Not great punishes,being predictable and unsafe. Being hasty or hesitant. I even forgot to use my V-reversal in these videos but I used it often other times.

I hope everyone else starts sharing their gameplay too.

Ooof you got that Wingless down pat. Thanks for sharing.
    SFIII: Makoto, Elena
    SFIV: Makoto, Juri, Cody
    SFV: R.Mika, Juri, Bison

Follow my news twitter https://twitter.com/JustVineNews
  • JibbJibb Joined: Posts: 52

Here's a video of Justin playing Mika. He seems to be pressing every button and spamming charged heavy kicks. I'm not sure how safe or viable his strategy is but it looks fun.
    Jibb wrote: »

Here's a video of Justin playing Mika. He seems to be pressing every button and spamming charged heavy kicks. I'm not sure how safe or viable his strategy is but it looks fun.

Evidently trying to play her like Chun Li. Last I checked Shooting Peach =/= Lightning legs >_>;

Jibb wrote: »

Nice! He is pretty good with Chun, Karin and Mika. He wasn't so great with Laura his first couple of tries. I really like his charged s. hk on meaty wake up. And he makes excellent use of s. lk. Floe was pretty good with Laura too. Thanks for posting. Will add to my playlist later :)
    Don't nerf me!
  • RaccoonRaccoon Joined: Posts: 38
    edited February 2016
    https://www.facebook.com/SkyeTheBard/videos/10156482626995697/

That's a combo I did off her target combo. A bit resource heavy (V-Trigger + 1 Bar), but it looks cool.

R. Mika is pretty great, and deals good damage off any and all of her hit confirms, particularly those that use her F.MP throw combos.
    Post edited by Raccoon on
  • tra`tra` immaculate villain Joined: Posts: 119
    Raccoon wrote: »
    https://facebook.com/SkyeTheBard/videos/10156481205950697/

That's a combo I did off her target combo. A bit resource heavy (V-Trigger + 1 Bar), but it looks cool.

R. Mika is pretty great, and deals good damage off any and all of her hit confirms, particularly those that use her F.MP throw combos.

nice, i would probably use shooting peach instead of wingless airplane just for corner carry though.

• RaccoonRaccoon Joined: Posts: 38
    That's always an option, for sure (same with any of her F.MP combos :3 ).
    Here are a few matches I won against one of my battling buds. Don't be deceived by the video though. Overall he beat me pretty soundly.

Don't nerf me!
  • SlizzardSlizzard Joined: Posts: 1,402
    edited February 2016
    edit
    Post edited by Slizzard on
  • BeckBeck Joined: Posts: 43
    Checkout the twitch archive from last night for Daigothebeastv.

He got all the SF Japanese gods together to play SFV. At least 2 of them are maining Mika and some top level play going on.
  • Hero_PandaHero_Panda Joined: Posts: 362
    How are you guys uploading your matches? I'd love to upload mine for some critique and pointers.
  • abkalldayabkallday Joined: Posts: 2,215
    Some of my matches from RESE yesterday
    Psn:Genocidecu
    UMVC3:Dante/X-23/Magneto Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Lars/Nina USF4:Guy/Juri/Adon/Rufus
    GGPO:genocide_cuttah KOF 2002 Shermie/K/Kula Kof 98: Iroi/Robert/Saisyu/Kyo Garou: Kim Dong Hwan and Gato
    Hero_Panda wrote: »
    How are you guys uploading your matches? I'd love to upload mine for some critique and pointers.
    If you are on PS4 press the share button. Or you can save the video and edit it before uploading. You can even copy it to a USB device and edit on your computer.
    abkallday wrote: »
    Karin can be a real bish sometimes.
    Don't nerf me!
  • DARKHOKAGEDARKHOKAGE BABY VIPAH!!! Joined: Posts: 546
    Someone recorded one of my tournament matches. Feedback strongly welcomed.

...fingered a chick for the first time? Rookie. I was doing that shit back in '99. Bitches knew me as The FANGERAH! I could finger a bitch all day. ALL DAY son. -Shade
    Brawl Code: 2750-0756-9483
  • abkalldayabkallday Joined: Posts: 2,215
    Hero_Panda wrote: »
    If you are on PS4 press the share button. Or you can save the video and edit it before uploading. You can even copy it to a USB device and edit on your computer.
    abkallday wrote: »
    Karin can be a real bish sometimes.

Noone really plays her online so I had like zero match up experience
    Psn:Genocidecu
    UMVC3:Dante/X-23/Magneto Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Lars/Nina USF4:Guy/Juri/Adon/Rufus
    GGPO:genocide_cuttah KOF 2002 Shermie/K/Kula Kof 98: Iroi/Robert/Saisyu/Kyo Garou: Kim Dong Hwan and Gato
  • BashBash Joined: Posts: 13
    Beck wrote: »
    Checkout the twitch archive from last night for Daigothebeastv.

He got all the SF Japanese gods together to play SFV. At least 2 of them are maining Mika and some top level play going on.

Link to the 5hr30m VOD
    edited February 2016
    Necalli activated RQ-trigger on me.

My grappling bud uploaded two fights of his Karin kicking my ass.
    Don't nerf me!
    Necalli activated RQ-trigger on me.

My grappling bud uploaded two fights of his Karin kicking my ass.

You have really good footsies and you seem to be fairly comfortable with her combos. I really appreciated your Necalli match as I haven't yet figured out myself how to use her V-Reversal. I am curious though as to if you have trouble with linking her standing medium punch into passion press? You seem to miss the opportunity a lot even though you land the confirm .

I noted also, that against Karin you try to play footsies and safe pokes at the very beginning. This is a mistake I've seen in other peoples videos as well. If you /start/ with that you don't get to condition them to fear something, they will just go full defense as your friend did, and since Mika doesn't have buttons that are 'winners' generally this is slightly negative for you. I don't want to make it seem like you shouldn't try to play footsies at all or say that safe pokes are bad. Just that it seemed like in your Karin match you went straight to that instead of trying to set up conditioning.

If I compare these two videos you posted, it becomes even clearer. Against that Necalli you basically weren't afraid at all and made sure that they were too scared to use dive kick due to your strong anti air game. This let you basically tear them apart with your strong footsies since you didn't have to worry about that and could focus on damage dealing combos.

For Karin, I tend to find Wingless and ex Peach are very useful in terms of keeping her offense in check, so towards the beginning you should probably try to lure out her Mujinkyaku and Ressenha so you can punish them. You also should maybe try to focus your training on escaping corners as you seem to struggle with that from what I've seen in your other vids.

Hope this helps you out. I am looking forward to seeing more of your matches. I like watching you play.

You have really good footsies and you seem to be fairly comfortable with her combos. I really appreciated your Necalli match as I haven't yet figured out myself how to use her V-Reversal. I am curious though as to if you have trouble with linking her standing medium punch into passion press? You seem to miss the opportunity a lot even though you land the confirm .

I noted also, that against Karin you try to play footsies and safe pokes at the very beginning. This is a mistake I've seen in other peoples videos as well. If you /start/ with that you don't get to condition them to fear something, they will just go full defense as your friend did, and since Mika doesn't have buttons that are 'winners' generally this is slightly negative for you. I don't want to make it seem like you shouldn't try to play footsies at all or say that safe pokes are bad. Just that it seemed like in your Karin match you went straight to that instead of trying to set up conditioning.

If I compare these two videos you posted, it becomes even clearer. Against that Necalli you basically weren't afraid at all and made sure that they were too scared to use dive kick due to your strong anti air game. This let you basically tear them apart with your strong footsies since you didn't have to worry about that and could focus on damage dealing combos.

For Karin, I tend to find Wingless and ex Peach are very useful in terms of keeping her offense in check, so towards the beginning you should probably try to lure out her Mujinkyaku and Ressenha so you can punish them. You also should maybe try to focus your training on escaping corners as you seem to struggle with that from what I've seen in your other vids.

Hope this helps you out. I am looking forward to seeing more of your matches. I like watching you play.

Hey thanks for the tips! Yes I'm not able to do rope thow on hit confirm from the passion press yet. I'll try to work on those other pointers too.

Here are some mirror matches and ragequits.

Mirror Matches

Ragequits

Don't nerf me!
    A combo video I created recently. R. Mika's definitely the most fun character to find combos for because of her extremly versitile V-Trigger
    [

Dude that was sick!
    Don't nerf me!
  • 6ix6ix Joined: Posts: 27
    edited February 2016
    SnowBunnyMika... lmao you're the real mvp for that name
  • mykkamykka Joined: Posts: 1,806
    SF5: R Mika, Urien, Kolin(?), Xiayu
    Thats some great Mika play there Dark!
    I've been struggling in Ranked mode to even reach Ultra Bronze. So I reached out to the top ranked R. Mika and he offered me a few games! This is how it went.

Don't nerf me!
  • BlackalphaBlackalpha Stay Hungry Joined: Posts: 226
    I've been struggling in Ranked mode to even reach Ultra Bronze. So I reached out to the top ranked R. Mika and he offered me a few games! This is how it went.

No offense, but how did this guy get so high? I watched 2 matches and all I saw was like 4 body splashes unpunished, insane amount of jumping and charged HKs; all of these options highly punishable. Was the match laggy? Man I wish I had more time to play ranked, getting to 7000 would be a cinch if this is all you have to do.
    Blackalpha wrote: »

No offense, but how did this guy get so high? I watched 2 matches and all I saw was like 4 body splashes unpunished, insane amount of jumping and charged HKs; all of these options highly punishable. Was the match laggy? Man I wish I had more time to play ranked, getting to 7000 would be a cinch if this is all you have to do.
    Well he wanted to see how I play. I don't think he was trying his best. We played in Battle Lounge so he was probably just goofing around. The connection was perfect.

I'll upload some of his ranked matches soon.

Don't nerf me!
  • BlackalphaBlackalpha Stay Hungry Joined: Posts: 226
    DARKHOKAGE wrote: »
    ebar claw is a rage quitter.. got confirmed on twitter by arturo and various other people.. video footage as well. fraud ass mika lol

I knew something was fishy about his play, good investigative work man. You the real MVP
  • S-LaughterS-Laughter Joined: Posts: 335
    Dark Hokage looks like a beast when he plays, I'm jelly. Fierce matches.
    < SF5 - Steam zentooshi - CFN Shosuko - PS4 S-Laughter - CFN Rainbo-nana-Mika >
    edited February 2016
    Everybody is ragequitting now. In the sfv general discussion thread somebody linked twitter posts about wolfkrone repeatedly ragequitting. I've been quitted on a bunch of times in Bronze league and I hear its far more rampant in Silver and Gold league. It wouldn't surprise me if top players are just doing it to get their own back as vengeance. I'm pretty sure none of the top players care about the points.

Edit:
    Neclord wrote: »
    flytuzl.jpg

flrid9uh4.jpg

riymu3m.jpg

:bee:

Don't nerf me!
  • htenghteng Joined: Posts: 55
    those dark hokage matches are very good study material, really like that V trigger setup.
  • mykkamykka Joined: Posts: 1,806
    SF5: R Mika, Urien, Kolin(?), Xiayu
  • J is JusiceJ is Jusice Spelt my name wrong. Joined: Posts: 232
    Everybody is ragequitting now. In the sfv general discussion thread somebody linked twitter posts about wolfkrone repeatedly ragequitting. I've been quitted on a bunch of times in Bronze league and I hear its far more rampant in Silver and Gold league. It wouldn't surprise me if top players are just doing it to get their own back as vengeance. I'm pretty sure none of the top players care about the points.

Edit:
    Neclord wrote: »
    flytuzl.jpg

flrid9uh4.jpg

riymu3m.jpg

:bee:

He used to do it in IV, I believe.
    SFV: F.A.N.G., Karin.

T7: Yoshimitsu, Xiaoyu, Lucky Chloe, Josie (ugh).
  • BartStationBartStation Only 1 shade of Grey. Joined: Posts: 2,261
    Watch some of Pavo's matches from Showdown GG's CTB tournament.
    Wu-Tang taught me 3 things: protect my neck, watch my step, and they ain't nothing to F with.
    SRKSale / TWITCH
    Thought I'd start uploading replays of the higher ranked R. Mika players every now and then. Here's the first batch.

Don't nerf me!
  • b4k4b4k4 Potent Yomi. Joined: Posts: 451 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    i really need to capitalize on punishing jab mashers. this cammy did it every time on wake up -_-
    Tip on how to deal with this:

Go to training mode, set opponent to Cammy. In the lab, use the record wake-up actions option to record Cammy doing c.lp.

Now everytime you knock Cammy down, you'll get a reversal timed wake-up c.lp.

Once you've got this done, start going over your common knockdown situations, and cycle through all three opponent recovery options (no recovery, normal, back recovery) and start to play around with timing situations that will always beat wake-up c.lp cleanly.

Example:

A very common situation for R. Mika is to get s.lk -> s.mp xx MP Peach. Let's explore how to pressure after this knockdown. Set the opponent to Normal recovery (with reversal c.lp set), then try the following string:

s.lk -> s.mp xx MP Peach, dash forward, s.mp

With a normal recovery, s.mp will hit meaty and counter-hit c.lp (or any throw-tech attempt, and will catch the pre-jump frames of any jump attempt) cleanly every time. You have plenty of time to react and hit-confirm into f+mp and continue your combo from there. Great, so now we have a tool to cleanly beat normal recovery into c.lp.

What about backwards recovery? Because the backwards recovery takes a few frames longer, dash forward s.mp now whiffs, and the c.lp will hit you in recovery. However, you can do s.lk -> s.mp xx MP Peach, forward dash, f+HP to cleanly crush counter the wake-up c.lp. Amazing. f+hp crush counter gives great damage, and even on block it is +3 so you get to continue your offense.

However, dash, f+HP will lose to a c.lp if they do a normal recovery instead of a back recovery. So, we have an option to cleanly beat the c.lp in each specific case for a big combo, but is there anything we don't have to guess on?

Now try this:

s.lk -> s.mp xx MP Peach, Forward Dash, f+mk

That f+mk will hit meaty on either a normal OR back recovery. It cleanly stuffs the c.lp, and also combos into s.lk on CH. Therefore, this sequence can punish people for trying to wake up with c.lp after EITHER wakeup option, and can be confirmed into a full combo.

This is the kind of thing you need to just spend some time in the lab with. Use the wake-up recording settings to test whether you can cleanly beat a 3 frame normal, and for all of your common knockdown situations (after sweep, after throws/command throws, after wingless, after peach, etc.) play around with different combinations of dashing and pushing buttons to get clean meaty timings. The Cammy was mashing you out with c.lp because you didn't give her a reason not to. Show that you've got some meaty setups up your sleeve, and force them to respect it and start blocking on wake-up. You REALLY want them to start doing this anyway, as it then opens them up to eating command or tick throws on wakeup, instead. People know Mika is a grappler, so they know you want to throw them, so they'll stick out fast buttons all day at close range until you make them respect your attacks.

One of the most important skills as a grappler player is teaching your opponent to block. Only once you scare them into NOT pressing buttons do you get to start throwing them, and only then can the mind-games truly begin.

Low-Tier Street Fighter, Top-Tier Theory Fighter
    XD

hihihi: orbit should invest in an air conditioner for t6
    noodleman: yea, trade the horse game for an air conditioner.
    coveguy: yes, cuz ya know, so many ppl want to buy that horse game... -_-
  • NinjaCWNinjaCW Joined: Posts: 486
    Hey I'll be posting all of my videos in here. They will be compiled in a playlist on my youtube channel so you won't have to look around. There's only 2 in there thus far but will be more (hopefully daily)!

• Kreative MenteKreative Mente GamerTag: Kreative Mente Joined: Posts: 590
    Here goes a FT5 set I did with a friend (ranges from decent to great with alot of the cast). Stopped doing rank due to the large amount of Rage Quits.

My problems from watching this set
    • Meaty Timing on Normal Recovery
    • Going into Rope Throw on Block
    • Corner Mixups once I get someone there

Appreciate all constructive crits!

Mika/Ibuki (One Day) - Orchid/Everyone Else - Nova/Spencer/Doom
    Youtube: cg219 | Follow Me @KreativeMente
  • Kreative MenteKreative Mente GamerTag: Kreative Mente Joined: Posts: 590
    been awhile since i posted some material but i got a few matches to share with you guys

i really need to capitalize on punishing jab mashers. this cammy did it every time on wake up -_-

...things...

Nice videos man. One thing I wanna mention, in the Laura matchup, you know how they like to wake up with that EX shoulder move when they get pressured (Not sure what its called) ?? You can actually grab them out of it before it hits instead of going for meatys on them or jumping out the way.
    Mika/Ibuki (One Day) - Orchid/Everyone Else - Nova/Spencer/Doom
    Youtube: cg219 | Follow Me @KreativeMente
    Made it to silver! I didn't expect to beat this guy.

Don't nerf me!
  • synginsyngin Steel-toe breakfast? Joined: Posts: 1,132
    Made it to silver! I didn't expect to beat this guy.

Yeah, nice work, man. I like your use of WA - I don't trust it enough yet to have worked it into my options.
    I liked the splash towards the end of round 2.
    another lp? heh... workin me to the bone...
  • unwndunwnd Joined: Posts: 451
    edited February 2016
    b4k4 wrote: »
    Stuff

I'm liking the meaty st.mk, can you get anything off it if they backroll though? btw does anyone know if all the versions of peach leave you in the same situation on knockdown?

• DARKHOKAGEDARKHOKAGE BABY VIPAH!!! Joined: Posts: 546
    b4k4 wrote: »

-Long post-

Good looking bro. Yea this is something I definitely need to work on. I've messed around with the feature but haven't gone into full depth with it like the examples you mentioned. This will definitely raise my mika skill up and take it to another level.
    ...fingered a chick for the first time? Rookie. I was doing that shit back in '99. Bitches knew me as The FANGERAH! I could finger a bitch all day. ALL DAY son. -Shade
    Brawl Code: 2750-0756-9483
  • b4k4b4k4 Potent Yomi. Joined: Posts: 451 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited February 2016
    unwnd wrote: »
    I'm liking the meaty st.mk, can you get anything off it if they backroll though? btw does anyone know if all the versions of peach leave you in the same situation on knockdown?
    In the situation I described (s.lk -> s.mp xx MP Peach, forward dash, f+mk) the f+mk will hit meaty on a normal recovery OR a backroll, which is why it's a good setup (covers 2/3 options). Remember, at either of these spacings, a CH f+mk guarantees another s.lk -> s.mp xx MP Peach combo. CH f+mk, s.lk -> s.mp xx MP Peach is all guaranteed. Also, if they don't recover at all, you can do:

Combo into MP Peach, dash in, f+mk (see no recovery), s.mp (whiff), s.mp (meaty) and the timing is perfect.

So yeah, there you go. Off of MP Peach, forward dash, f+MK can lead to frame-tight meaty setups for all 3 recover options.

The ONLY downside of this setup is that f+mk is unsafe if they do a normal recovery and block. f+mk is -3 on block, so characters with 3 frame punishes can get you. However, it IS safe on back recovery setups. Back recovery takes a few more frames than a normal recovery. The normal recovery setup looks like f+mk hits on the first possible frame. On the backwards recovery though, f+mk hits later into its active hit frames, and you are safe on block (not sure the exact frames here, but definitely not worse than -1, might even just be 0).

As for the knockdown situations after Peach, according to the SRK SFV Wiki, MP Peach, HP Peach, and EX Peach all give the exact same amount of frame advantage after the knockdown. LP Peach, however, gives slightly fewer frames, so you'll need to come up with separate meaty setups for combos into LP Peach finishes, e.g. c.lk, s.lp xx LP Peach.
    Good looking bro. Yea this is something I definitely need to work on. I've messed around with the feature but haven't gone into full depth with it like the examples you mentioned. This will definitely raise my mika skill up and take it to another level.
    Yeah for sure. Because timings windows in this game are really tight, it's hard to just "eyeball" when to do a move to have it hit meaty. Once you get more accustomed to using meaty setups, you'll start to get a better feel for what your meaty timings are, and you'll be able to improvise a little more.

That said, I think that if you're serious about getting better at SFV, then it's really important to take your character into training mode and come up with optimal knockdown meaty timings for all of your character's common knockdown situations. Things you should specifically test being able to beat are...:

* Wake-up 3f normal
    * Wake-up 4f normal (for characters with no moves faster than 4f you might be able to apply stronger setups)
    * Wake-up throw-tech (any proper meaty will beat this anyway)
    * Wake-up jump (ditto here - any proper meaty should cover the 3f normal, throw tech, and catch their jump animation before it leaves the ground for a full combo)
    * Wake-up DP / best invincible / armored reversal (9/10 out of 10 this will just mean blocking the reversal and converting into a CC combo, but it's worth practicing because different reversals leave you at different spacings, so you need to be ready for that)

Taking the setup we've been talking about this whole time, you basically have this:

s.lk -> s.mp xx MP Peach, forward dash...

1./ (Quick Rise or Back Recovery) Opponent Blocks - Command throw.
    2./ (QR or BR) Opponent does normal attack, throw tech, or jump - f+mk, etc. (note that f+mk will CH a button or throw and give you an s.lk combo, but will NOT guarantee a combo if they just tried to jump out - this makes it important to watch for the counterhit notification and to plan your follow up accordingly)
    3./ (QR or BR) Opponent does reversal - Block, punish.
    4./ (No Recovery) Opponent Blocks - s.mp (whiff), Command throw.
    5./ (NR) Opponent does normal attack, throw tech, or jump - s.mp (whiff), meaty s.mp -> combo (no CH requirements here so this eats jumpers, too)
    6./ (NR) Opponent does reversal - s.mp (whiff), block, CC punish.

So yeah, for any given knockdown there are at least 6, possibly 9 (depending on QR/BR setups being interchangeable) situations you should be prepared for. For some people this is a lot easier because they don't have any true reversals other than their CA (i.e. R. Mika), so it also depends on your matchups.
    Low-Tier Street Fighter, Top-Tier Theory Fighter
    XD

hihihi: orbit should invest in an air conditioner for t6
    noodleman: yea, trade the horse game for an air conditioner.
    coveguy: yes, cuz ya know, so many ppl want to buy that horse game... -_-