Cammy Beginners Thread

jchensorjchensor Salty ChenJoined: Posts: 1,934 admin
edited March 2016 in Cammy
You’re just starting to learn Cammy, and you don’t know where to start. Well, this is the place to pick up on the beginning concepts for the character.

=== NOTE: If you want to become the OP for this thread so you can maintain the top post to aggregate the thread's information here, contact me via the SRK messaging system and I will be able to convert you to become the OP for this thread. ===
Post edited by jchensor on
http://jchensor.blogspot.com

"We don't stop playing because we get old. We get old because we stop playing." -- Doyle Brunson

"Every time you win, it diminishes the fear a little bit. You never really cancel the fear of losing; you keep challenging it." -- Arthur Ashe

(AV art obtained from here: http://meatbun.us/blog/?p=162)

Comments

• YunityOldYunityOld Joined: Posts: 10
    edited February 2016
    Cool, what are your thoughts impressions as she is now.

To be honest her lack of ability to use cc on tick throw, as well as, her only real threat on a down-back opponent is throw, is of some concern to me.

Compounded with her throw reseting the game back to neutral, does not help the situation.

Perhaps i am over thinking it, cause offense to me, in street fighter starts from cr. Jp, throw and branches off from there.
  • SareturuSareturu Joined: Posts: 19
    I'm currently really curious which strength of her divekick are the most commonly used ones? Anything that has more + frames than the other? Also, has someone specific setups to land a close divekick for c.lp b.mp-hk targetcombo?
  • RammaRamma Team Blockstring Joined: Posts: 1,511
    BS_Ramma is my CFN ID. East Coast, US.
    PSN/XBL: RammaCricket | CFN: BS_Ramma
    SFV: Cammy/Necalli | Fun Subs: Ryu, Alex, Gief
    USFIV: Cody | Alt: Zangief
  • AquafisAquafis member Joined: Posts: 137
    I feel yah Yunity. I ran into that same problem when labbing Cammy. Her throw game feels like ass since she throws people back into neutral. Yet she has problems with people who downback all day. The answer to people who downback as a char with no natural overhead is to throw. Cammy gets punished by throws though as from what I can see she doesn't have any frame advantage from some one who quick rises after a throw. That coupled with how far she throws them is very off putting. What stops char's with superior footsies from just taking the throw? If you have a better footsies char then Cammy getting thrown back in neutral helps you out way more than it helps her. The only throw where I feel she gets actual pressure is from her air hooligan throws against an airborne opponent. Dhalsim for instance would love to get thrown by Cammy. It finally relieves the pressure of having her in his face.
  • HowlingDustHowlingDust Joined: Posts: 6
    I agree that sitting in down back seems like a strong position, but I doubt most players would stay in that position for long. Even if they do, I think as long as we keep the pressure on the grey health mechanic will convince them to do something sooner rather than later. Hopefully something that gets them caught in a frame trap.

The other thing I am thinking is Spin knuckle and Hooligan Strike (once Cammy has flown behind them) can hit them while crouched blocking as long as they don't switch sides too. Both moves are slow and risky so they need to be used sparingly, probably after a healthy dose of the conditioning she mentions in her intro. The rightside-leftside mindgames seem to be what her tools are suggesting.

The throw does seem a bit odd. Generally my default game plan is push them in the corner and punish them for trying to leave. Using the throw's distance and direction for positional advantage is the way I am using it for the time being till we come up with something better.
  • ChiroToBChiroToB Joined: Posts: 139
    Like everyone, I was having problems last night with my friend who plays Chun just sitting back in defensive crouch. It was hard to get in on him because of this. I REALLY wish Cammy's Hooligan combo throw connected on crouching opponents like in ST!

I was getting good results by mixing in Hooligan Strikes and spin knuckle, but they're SO risky.
    www.ultimatemk.com
    www.classicmk.com
    www.testyourmight.com
  • CipherCipher Catchphraser Joined: Posts: 1,706
    I have the most succes using hooligans after moves like cr.mk or after blockstrings.
    It's harder to stop them and with the right version used you can creat chaotic situtaions.

If someone is only holding downback try different approches. Or poke from max range for grey chip.
    Dance around, be ready for anything, try to land a throw, bait them out and make them nervous.

Most Cammys I saw allways got destroyed if they tried to hard to get in, it was in SFIV the same, I annihalted all Cammys that tried to hard to get in.

You have 99secs on the clock use them.
    SteamId, leave a comment before adding!
    Street Fighter: Cammy
    Tekken: When's Jun? , Lili, Josie
    Guilty Gear: Ramlethal

My SFV Cammyguide!
    Cammy is gonna suffer a bit from downback players...she has no overhead, no command grab. Best thing you can do is grey life them patiently.

Also, I'm whipping up some nice throw tech baits.
  • PUNKSTER93PUNKSTER93 Joined: Posts: 5
    Hey guys may i know which situation is best suited to do a crossup or the hooligan? I seen poongko and maximilian videos of cammy but i still dont understand when to use those moves
  • TrenchCoatJonesTrenchCoatJones Joined: Posts: 198
    What's the best method to deal with people who mash jab on wake-up? Meaty s.MP?
    XBL Ooklathemok3
    PSN Girthedestroyer
    SFV ID Ozzy_Booty
  • carupscarups Joined: Posts: 471
    Meaty is good for people mashing anything on wakeup and st.mp is her best meaty. You can jab, cr.mp as well. Combos on ch and is a frame trap on block.
  • TrenchCoatJonesTrenchCoatJones Joined: Posts: 198
    Thank you sir!
    XBL Ooklathemok3
    PSN Girthedestroyer
    SFV ID Ozzy_Booty
    I prefer cr. MP as a meaty. You can follow it up with st. MP > cr. MK.
  • HaztlanHaztlan Joined: Posts: 1,157
    stMP crMP whiffs on some characters though. Like Ken and R. Mika.
    a= ​Δt / ​Δv
    Anybody can help out with what i posted?
    PUNKSTER93 wrote: »
    Hey guys may i know which situation is best suited to do a crossup or the hooligan? I seen poongko and maximilian videos of cammy but i still dont understand when to use those moves

I don't think Cross-up Hooligan is going to be a long term tool to capitalize on. You can already see people became wise to it and just LP her out of it. Hooligan and V-Skill are very gimmicky.

That said, it's not something you want to be using in round 1. You want to see what your opponent does and decide whether or not the tool is worth using.
  • AquafisAquafis member Joined: Posts: 137
    Haztlan wrote: »
    stMP crMP whiffs on some characters though. Like Ken and R. Mika.

I've gotten stmp > crmp to work on Ken easily in training mode not sure what you mean about it wiffing.
  • JuicinatorJuicinator Joined: Posts: 30
    How do you guys train anti-airing. That is by far the worst part of my game. I'm pretty good at blocking and punishing unsafe strings for a noob, but if someone jumps against me I am toast.
  • HaztlanHaztlan Joined: Posts: 1,157
    Try to AA with bMP then, don't punish yourself for not DPing every jump. Start by trying to play footsies with crMP and stMP crMK only. If you only have MP in mind its much easier to react with bMP when they jump.
    And keep looking above the waist of your opponent, even if you're aiming for crMKs. This way its easier to track them when they jump. If you keep focusing in the very ground they will vanish for you when they press upforward.
    As you get more familiar with the game you will be able to play with all your buttons while bMPing everything above your head. And eventually be able to choose between DP and bMP judging what is best for each situation.
    a= ​Δt / ​Δv
  • SojoXSojoX Joined: Posts: 8
    I feel really stupid with this but how come the timing of st. MP st. HP xx HK SA is so janky? Can't seem to get it to hit reliably at all. Heck, even the first part I have to hit HP twice in quick succession to get that to connect. I seemed to be trying to hit buttons too fast which is boggling my mind.
    Ramma wrote: »
    PUNKSTER93 wrote: »

I don't think Cross-up Hooligan is going to be a long term tool to capitalize on. You can already see people became wise to it and just LP her out of it. Hooligan and V-Skill are very gimmicky.

That said, it's not something you want to be using in round 1. You want to see what your opponent does and decide whether or not the tool is worth using.

thanks for the reply man.

So what about crossups? which situation should i use it? i know cammy's crossup is her jumping LK. But i always got AA'd or DP'd by my opponents when doing so..

Also should i use cannon strike when the opponents is waking up?

And lastly which situation is best suited to use the cannon strike?
  • GreenwoodGreenwood Earth, the only true God Joined: Posts: 885
    SojoX wrote: »
    I feel really stupid with this but how come the timing of st. MP st. HP xx HK SA is so janky? Can't seem to get it to hit reliably at all. Heck, even the first part I have to hit HP twice in quick succession to get that to connect. I seemed to be trying to hit buttons too fast which is boggling my mind.
    You'll get used to it. You're right, you're probably hitting HP too fast. It's not like that, it's slower than you think.

Inj2: Wonder Woman
    SFV: Cammy
  • FeiWrongFeiWrong Joined: Posts: 358
    Cipher wrote: »
    I don't know if people are interested int his or how many PC players we have here.
    But I leave the link to my Steamguide here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=628525053
    It's also linked in my signature, I hope this will help some people.

Wow!! This is great stuff!
    edited February 2016
    @SojoX Might wanna check if you're not having those input delay problems. That combo is pretty easy (2f link + 2f leniency for the first frame) and should feel natural if you're used to SF4's 1/2f links. But I guess you can always double tap it.
  • SojoXSojoX Joined: Posts: 8
    Thanks for the info guys. it seems I was going a little too fast but also my TV is an issue (compared to when I try it on my PC). When I get a chance I'll see if the timing is the same but I did detect a definite difference.

So that being said, how do you guys learn to get in on people? When they're nuts at the lower PP it's easier to just let them make mistakes but if I go against a grappler or a determined zoner I'm not sure how to get in and get figure the way in yet. I've got nothing reliable against fireballs.
  • loudghostloudghost Third Rate Honey Joined: Posts: 8
    Hey guys,

Is it still possible to tk Cammy's Cannon Strike?

I've been messing around with it for awhile and am just unsure if I have the timing wrong or if it's even possible.

• N_paulN_paul aka Peaches Joined: Posts: 683
    edited February 2016
    loudghost wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Is it still possible to tk Cammy's Cannon Strike?

I've been messing around with it for awhile and am just unsure if I have the timing wrong or if it's even possible.

In the traditional sense of tiger knee, no it is not possible.

Cammy's divekick has a minimum height restriction. If you do the motion as fast as possible you'll get an air normal; you need to do the motion and wait after the jump until you hit the right jump height before hitting kick. You'll have to find the easiest way to do it, you can either try to time the delayed tiger knee or you can just jump and then do the input.

BTW the height is approximately when cammy is at chest or head height ish on a standing character.

Edit: I am not sure if EX have the same height restriction or not.
  • EastEast Break Through Joined: Posts: 901
    Instant air cannon strike IS possible, but it's harder to do. The minimum height limit makes it so that your initial joystick motion must be within a certain number of frames otherwise the game will not associate the inputs with the button press when you try to do the cannon strike.

Also the EXmothon has a much lower height restriction and is just as easy as the tk motions from sf4.

I've been practicing the IA cannon strike the past few days and I can say in the beginning it was nigh impossible, but now I can get it more consistently. Still at about 60%
  • StingersStingers Joined: Posts: 61
    do you have a video of what the IA cannon strike looks like?
    UMVC3: Morrigan (DH), Trish (Peekaboo), Doom (Missiles)
    P4A: Shadow Labrys, Naoto
    Yeah, sure, here ya go guys:

• RikirRikir Servbot Joined: Posts: 1,047
    East wrote: »
    Yeah, sure, here ya go guys:

Woah I definitely need to practice this, so deep.
    PSN: Al_Rikir
    UMvC3: Tron/Dante/Arthur
    GGXRD: Bedman/Elphelt
    BBCPEX: Relius/Noel
    VSav: Q-Bee
    UNIEL: Chaos/Seth
    KOF2002UM: Whip/Mature/Foxy

Poverty forever more.
    Thanks East. Is this plus on hit and block? I'm not having much success with hk divekick.
    carups wrote: »
    Thanks East. Is this plus on hit and block? I'm not having much success with hk divekick.

It depends on how high you hit them. Yeah, it is hard. I still haven't completely gotten the muscle memory for it.
  • VyrusVyrus Joined: Posts: 11
    What's the purpose of cannon strike, what is it useful for? I've been trying to incorporate it into my game because I see a lot of Cammy players (who are all much better than I am!) using it fairly regularly. The V-trigger version seems useful because you have stuff you can do if you hit but the regular version seems so hard to get anything useful as a follow up. Is it to simply close distance is a relatively safe way?

I had a little practice trying to do the instant EX cannon strike and went from thinking it was impossible to pulling it off a few times, a way off before I'll actually attempt it in a match but what are the advantages you gain from doing this? A quick way to punish down-backers?
  • LSlickLSlick Joined: Posts: 212
    Cipher wrote: »
    I don't know if people are interested int his or how many PC players we have here.
    But I leave the link to my Steamguide here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=628525053
    It's also linked in my signature, I hope this will help some people.

Pretty good guide you got there :D
  • Tuxedoman22Tuxedoman22 Joined: Posts: 2
    I am having trouble with the Ken and Ryu match up. What type of mind set should I have when I am playing against those characters?
  • GrumpyMuffnGrumpyMuffn Joined: Posts: 31
    edited February 2016

Any tips for doing instant air cannon strike? I can do it no problem in sf4 but I can not get it to come out in V.

I am having trouble with the Ken and Ryu match up. What type of mind set should I have when I am playing against those characters?
    I just play footsies with standing medium kick and bait fireballs with vskill, its plus on block and leads to great pressure, or ex spiral arrow/ v trigger spiral arrow all projectile invincible. Then when you get in pressure with a standing medium punch - crouching mp frame trap or jab target combo frame trap. That and wait for the wake up dp after knockdown. block and crush counter punish.

Post edited by GrumpyMuffn on
    SFV - Cammy
    Hori FC4 is life.
  • Tuxedoman22Tuxedoman22 Joined: Posts: 2
    edited February 2016
    Thank you this is much appreciated.
    Post edited by Tuxedoman22 on
  • GreenwoodGreenwood Earth, the only true God Joined: Posts: 885
    Any tips for doing instant air cannon strike? I can do it no problem in sf4 but I can not get it to come out in V.
    There is a thread for it below this one. You can do the Tiger Knee version or jump forward then half (or quarter) circle back.
    Inj2: Wonder Woman
    SFV: Cammy
    How do you guys apprach someone you just knocked down. I suck at timing and will get hit by jabs and throws and whatever else they throw out. How do you guys go about keeping the pressue.

"Street Fighter V Cammy Beginners Guide (Basics #1)"
    Just found this on reddit and figured I should post it here.
  • DarkMcLongshanksDarkMcLongshanks King of the Wolves Joined: Posts: 118
    Juicinator wrote: »
    How do you guys apprach someone you just knocked down. I suck at timing and will get hit by jabs and throws and whatever else they throw out. How do you guys go about keeping the pressue.
    As far as the jabs you can block the first, and have a frame advantage before the second one hits. Practice it in training mode I set up a dummy to cross up and poke, as well as other things I felt I needed to work on.
    As far as the jabs you can block the first, and have a frame advantage before the second one hits. Practice it in training mode I set up a dummy to cross up and poke, as well as other things I felt I needed to work on.

How am I at advantage if I block there wake up jab. most jabs are + 2 or more on block
  • RikirRikir Servbot Joined: Posts: 1,047

You can just have the right setups for the occasion. Off most knockdowns you should be able to meaty with your normals. It's pretty easy to tell when your opponent is getting up in this game. Just look at them and once you see them getting up thats when you hit your button.
    PSN: Al_Rikir
    UMvC3: Tron/Dante/Arthur
    GGXRD: Bedman/Elphelt
    BBCPEX: Relius/Noel
    VSav: Q-Bee
    UNIEL: Chaos/Seth
    KOF2002UM: Whip/Mature/Foxy

Poverty forever more.
  • DarkMcLongshanksDarkMcLongshanks King of the Wolves Joined: Posts: 118

How am I at advantage if I block there wake up jab. most jabs are + 2 or more on block
    Let me clarify that you won't have frame advantage but it will count as counter if you time it right. I just spent the last 30 minutes practicing it.

Let me clarify that you won't have frame advantage but it will count as counter if you time it right. I just spent the last 30 minutes practicing it.

I gotcha
  • King9999King9999 Joined: Posts: 10,871 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

Meaty attacks such as st.MP or cr. MK. You can also try using V skill such that you end up on the opposite side of the opponent.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-2722-8799-3295
    PSN/Steam ID/NNID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
  • VyrusVyrus Joined: Posts: 11
    Anyone want to share any beginner mistakes so that the people of the future don't have to suffer needlessly?

I, for one, got into the habit of going for c. MK after s. MK to try and frame trap / counter hit my opponents. It has longer range than c. MP, is special cancellable and is a medium so it can't be THAT slow can it?
    c. MK has the same amount of start-up as the sweep, it doesn't work as a frame trap. Don't use it as one!

Signed,
    All the countless matches I lost due to my own ignorance.
    I think that'll be a really helpful thing. If we could get the OP changed, or if James is willing to update it. Do like a beginner Dos and Don'ts list.