Ryu Beginners Thread

jchensorjchensor Salty ChenJoined: Posts: 1,934 admin
edited March 2016 in Ryu
You’re just starting to learn Ryu, and you don’t know where to start. Well, this is the place to pick up on the beginning concepts for the character.

=== NOTE: If you want to become the OP for this thread so you can maintain the top post to aggregate the thread's information here, contact me via the SRK messaging system and I will be able to convert you to become the OP for this thread. ===
Post edited by jchensor on
http://jchensor.blogspot.com

"We don't stop playing because we get old. We get old because we stop playing." -- Doyle Brunson

"Every time you win, it diminishes the fear a little bit. You never really cancel the fear of losing; you keep challenging it." -- Arthur Ashe

(AV art obtained from here: http://meatbun.us/blog/?p=162)

Comments

• freddiefreddie Joined: Posts: 97
    Should you ask beginner level questions in this thread or in the general QA thread?
  • Iro_SamIro_Sam Joined: Posts: 4
    What is the best round starter? I usually walk back and chuck fireballs or walk back neutral jump. What other options are there to apply pressure at the start of the round?
  • VWGolfA4VWGolfA4 Joined: Posts: 8
    Iro_Sam wrote: »
    What is the best round starter? I usually walk back and chuck fireballs or walk back neutral jump. What other options are there to apply pressure at the start of the round?

Personally I either hold back (block if they attack) or dash back and try to setup spacing for fireballs. I think if you jump in on them they can counter easier. Also with some characters you have to block low at the start. For example with Cammy. She has the Spiral Arrow that can hit you at the start of a round.
    SFV - Ryu
    All others - Ken
  • Emmit FitzhumEmmit Fitzhum Student of the Game Joined: Posts: 44
    I wouldn't say there is a best round starter. Just whatever you choose, look at your opponent and see how they react from what you have done. Even if you walk forward/backward, how did they react? Like Bruce Lee said, be water my friend.

XBL: Emmit Fitzhume
    PSN: eFitzhume

Recorded Matches
  • KakesuSoraKakesuSora Trap God Joined: Posts: 3
    So what's some basic gameplans with Ryu? I've been using him and I can tell he's fairly simple to pick up but actually getting good with him is another thing...
    Mains
    Ultra: Poison/Ken
    Injustice: Batgirl
    KoFXIII: Undecided
    TTT: Undecided
    BBCP: Hakumen
  • TebboTebbo Play. Joined: Posts: 5,711
    edited February 2016
    Everyone gains a huge advantage when their opponent is cornered.
    So if you want to start with a concrete gameplan which is stupid simple, just work on cornering your opponent.

Ryu has great normals for keeping someone cornered and also good ways to take someone to the corner (specifically tatsumaki).

So focus on keeping yourself out of the corner and putting the opponent in the corner.
    He has good stun potential and when someone is cornered they have fewer options to deal with your aggression. They have to escape ASAP which can lead to easy damage from stuff like back + roundhouse which can be combo into standing short, etc.

Remember, in v-trigger his super guard crushes. In the corner they can't be pushed away further so you will more easily get some kind of real follow up even if they block. You're basically guaranteed to get something if you put them in the corner.
    Play more.
  • KaizenMaster007KaizenMaster007 Constantly Improve Joined: Posts: 71
  • dfybdfyb Joined: Posts: 368
    What's the first thing I should learn to do with the parry?
    "defibe"
  • KakesuSoraKakesuSora Trap God Joined: Posts: 3
    Tebbo wrote: »
    Everyone gains a huge advantage when their opponent is cornered.
    So if you want to start with a concrete gameplan which is stupid simple, just work on cornering your opponent.

Ryu has great normals for keeping someone cornered and also good ways to take someone to the corner (specifically tatsumaki).

So focus on keeping yourself out of the corner and putting the opponent in the corner.
    He has good stun potential and when someone is cornered they have fewer options to deal with your aggression. They have to escape ASAP which can lead to easy damage from stuff like back + roundhouse which can be combo into standing short, etc.

Remember, in v-trigger his super guard crushes. In the corner they can't be pushed away further so you will more easily get some kind of real follow up even if they block. You're basically guaranteed to get something if you put them in the corner.

What are some of the normals I should be using the most?
    Mains
    Ultra: Poison/Ken
    Injustice: Batgirl
    KoFXIII: Undecided
    TTT: Undecided
    BBCP: Hakumen
  • GomikawaGomikawa Joined: Posts: 63
    How do people input DP so quick from the couching position?
  • LiquidShuLiquidShu Dirty PvP Lover Joined: Posts: 20
    I have been learning Ryu as I was told he was the core of Street Fighter, I am really interested in picking up Chun-Li though. Is it time to switch away from Ryu or should I keep working fundamentals with him? This question bugs me quite a lot so I might as well ask around!

- Hopefully this coincides with the point of this thread, if not mb!

P.S I also posted this up on the Chun-Li beginner thread, sorry if this breaks any regulations on SRK.

• priamos1priamos1 Joined: Posts: 16
    edited February 2016
    What are your options for a strong oki? Usually I'm defaulting to 4 things when I knock someone down, I either do a throw, a sweep, or a neutral jump into a combo, aside from the obvious block in anticipation to a wake up dp. As a complete beginner I have no idea if they are bad options or if I'm missing something. I'm guessing maybe I should do a couple punches before using the throw instead of pressing throw right when they get up? I also attempted trying to hit st.mp to confirm into a combo but the timing to hit them as they wake up seems to be extremely tight.

I'm sure there are other options I'm not aware of.
  • Emmit FitzhumEmmit Fitzhum Student of the Game Joined: Posts: 44
    LiquidShu wrote: »
    I have been learning Ryu as I was told he was the core of Street Fighter, I am really interested in picking up Chun-Li though. Is it time to switch away from Ryu or should I keep working fundamentals with him? This question bugs me quite a lot so I might as well ask around!

P.S I also posted this up on the Chun-Li beginner thread, sorry if this breaks any regulations on SRK.

I trained as Ryu for the better part of SFIV. I'm glad that I did for that it made transitioning to other character so much easier. If you haven't really studied him before, I would suggest to do it despite what other people say. He will help teach you all aspects of the game without the 'gimmicks'. I'm continuing my study with him in this chapter as well. I think you could benefit alot from learning the new system with him and then moving on. How long that may be, I couldn't tell you. It all depends on you. Good luck.

XBL: Emmit Fitzhume
    PSN: eFitzhume

Recorded Matches
  • Ghost-_-WriterGhost-_-Writer CareerMavin.com Joined: Posts: 75
    Never sweep on their wake up, it's unsafe, so if they block you immediately lose your advantage. Always do safe pressure. My favorite wake up options are (1) s.MP, s. MP hit confirm into target combo, (2) walk back slightly c.mk xx fireball (confirm into super if I have it) or block to bait the DP,this works soooo well, (3) cross up jump MK if my spacing is right, either hit confirm s.MP, s.MP into TC or tick into throw, or (4) just throw. 3/4 confirm into very high damage. All are safe and easy.
    LiquidShu wrote: »

It doesn't matter who you learn, just have fun. Chun Li is great and will teach you street fighter just as well.
    edited February 2016
    Thanks for the input guys. A lot of things I can work with so far. I would reiterate
    dfyb wrote: »
    What's the first thing I should learn to do with the parry?

I would also like to add the new option select with grab and v-skill. I have to open slots on my arcade stick that would go perfect with this. Would it be worth the time spent investing in it? And are there any other option selects for Ryu in SFV?

"defibe"
  • RayartzRayartz Hosenka Reversal Yo! Joined: Posts: 1,796
    I love Gootecks bringing the bare bones basics to the community.
    I fought several people online today that sure could benefit by watching these.
    Chun Li, Juri and Laura - Loyalty for LIFE!
    SFV Goals: To be competent with every character and help others do the same!
    Overwatch: Tracer, D.Va, Junkrat, Mercy, Mei
    edited February 2016
    I'm trying to figure out the most practical way to punish a whiffed uppercut if you have no advanced combo abilities. Doing a s HK for crush counter just as they land and then target combo does 259 damage. Any other ideas? What's a more damage combo that's one step up in difficulty?

edited February 2016
    Never sweep on their wake up, it's unsafe, so if they block you immediately lose your advantage. Always do safe pressure. My favorite wake up options are (1) s.MP, s. MP hit confirm into target combo, (2) walk back slightly c.mk xx fireball (confirm into super if I have it) or block to bait the DP,this works soooo well, (3) cross up jump MK if my spacing is right, either hit confirm s.MP, s.MP into TC or tick into throw, or (4) just throw. 3/4 confirm into very high damage. All are safe and easy.

I set the dummy to do a reversal throw on wake up and I was trying to hit it with st.MP, but I was eating the dummy throw more often than not. Is this a matter of me still being a complete sucker or is st.MP on their wake up just not a very good move?
    freddie wrote: »
    I'm trying to figure out the most practical way to punish a whiffed uppercut if you have no advanced combo abilities. Doing a s HK for crush counter just as they land and then target combo does 259 damage. Any other ideas? What's a more damage combo that's one step up in difficulty?
    CC when they land, walk just a little bit forward, st.MP>cr.HPxxDP

I take it you are a beginner just as I am, and I found that this little sequence was somewhat easy to pull off. It's deffinitely a step up, but I think it's a step that you can take. You'll need some practice, and make sure that by walking forward you don't accidentally make you st.MP into the forward.MP, which would completely ruin everything.
    edited February 2016
    Yeah I've been working on the crHP xx DP, and while I find it incredibly difficult on the player 2 side, it's somewhat doable on the left side. It seems like an important move in general since it hits crouching characters while tatsu doesn't. Or maybe tatsu hits crouching as well after the crHP? PS. Yes it does.
    edited February 2016
    Yeah I've been working on the crHP xx DP, and while I find it incredibly difficult on the player 2 side, it's somewhat doable on the left side. It seems like an important move in general since it hits crouching characters while tatsu doesn't. Or maybe tatsu hits crouching as well after the crHP? PS. Yes it does.

I think a lot of this should apply in SFV: http://shoryuken.com/2014/12/23/bafael-covers-the-benefits-of-the-crouching-shoryuken-in-ultra-street-fighter-iv/

"defibe"

cr.HP, if it connects, makes them stand up no matter what.
    dfyb wrote: »

I think a lot of this should apply in SFV: http://shoryuken.com/2014/12/23/bafael-covers-the-benefits-of-the-crouching-shoryuken-in-ultra-street-fighter-iv/

Thanks, that's good, and how I've been trying to do it. The problem is that on this 360 pad, you can barely press forward while holding down to get the DF. It's especially bad in the reverse direction. I've ordered a hori pad and hopefully that's better.
  • wolfpak360wolfpak360 Street fighter baby Joined: Posts: 75

Take it from someone that has been doing shoryukens since sf1, it takes practice especially when it comes to cancelling into one. Try plinking if u can't get it consistently. I haven't had an issue getting any specials from a normal in a long time but I feel ur pain. I spent many hours in the training room. Sf5 is much easier than the previous titles so be grateful. Best advice I can give u is to input the do and hit the fp twice. Once when ur in the down and the 2nd at the end of the input. Good luck
    edited February 2016
    priamos1 wrote: »

I set the dummy to do a reversal throw on wake up and I was trying to hit it with st.MP, but I was eating the dummy throw more often than not. Is this a matter of me still being a complete sucker or is st.MP on their wake up just not a very good move?

Your timing is off. Any normal you do on their wakeup, even a lowly jab, beats a wakeup throw if you start your normal at the right time. You need to look for a visual cue when they wake up and get your timing down perfectly.

You might find it easier to do f.HP instead, because that one at least you can start the move outside of their throw range so even if your timing is off you might still whiff their throw and hit them with the f.HP into DP for a nice combo (or if you're feeling confident go for f.HP, cHP, xx DP for over 300 dmg).
  • PiLONPiLON Joined: Posts: 3
    What is the best option for anti air? Is it always DP or are there uses for crouching HP or standing HK? Thanks!
    SFV: PiLON123
  • Beefchief99Beefchief99 Joined: Posts: 1
    I'm not sure if this belongs in an execution thread, but it is pretty basic and I think would help others here. I am trying to do some simple cancels, and I am having trouble with one specific one. I am trying to do s.lk xx hadoken, which from what I can tell SHOULD work. However, when I set the target dummy to block, the dummy always blocks the hadoken. It also doesn't really look like it cancels (looks like two discreet motions). I've always ( I thought) been able to do cancels, but I've always "cheated" the input. For example, when I would cmk xx hadoken, I would press kick at the bottom of my hadoken motion, complete the motion and press the punch, and it was fine (really would do down back so I wouldn't get a DP). Am I just getting exposed here that I can't do the full Hadoken fast enough starting from neutral (when I push the lk)? I use a stick, any tips would be appreciated (I also tried on a pad, since there are some things I am flat out faster on a pad at doing, and couldn't get it to work). Thanks.
  • KaernakKaernak Joined: Posts: 10
    Beefchief you are cheating yourself on damage with s. lk xxhado. Do it from st. mp. Much better starter.
  • YannickYannick Max Range Panta Rhei Joined: Posts: 4,467
    edited February 2016
    snip

You are probably canceling correctly. Try with different normals to see that you are indeed canceling properly.

As a side note, even if you cancel into Hadoken properly from s.LK, it will not combo. You need EX Hadoken to combo from s.LK.
    The Sunset Studio // Destiny: Rise of Iron, Fighters, Development, Mechanics, Strategy, Media.
  • diddykvdiddykv You must defeat my cartwheel to stand a chance! Joined: Posts: 5
    How do I set up frame traps with Ryu?

I'm usually going for st.mp > throw / st.mp > delayed st.mp. Usually works against jab mashers and people trying to tech, but it's also very predictable. I'm having a hard time opening people for frame traps. When I use blockstrings and try to walk up or dash, I get hit first. The reason I'm using Ryu is because he has no gimmicks, and I think I'll benefit from mastering him, but I'm suffering because my neutral game is weak, and my throw/frame trap mix up is even waker. Any help would be much appreciated.
    PiLON wrote: »
    What is the best option for anti air? Is it always DP or are there uses for crouching HP or standing HK? Thanks!

All are great, also don't forget parry, s.HP, and even standing jab. It all depends on the situation and what attack your opponent is using. DP is usually best because of invincibility but it doesn't work in every situation. Against Zangief I like to keep him farther away where only s.HK will work. Against cross ups I like parry. C.HP works when they're just a little too close for DP but not quite crossing you over. Standing jab and HP work at certain ranges and when I'm not ready to DP, I can press one of those buttons and try to at least trade.
    I've just started reviewing my matches online and I'm noticing a trend of being able to keep the pressure, especially on wake-up. I tend to have a meaty fireball waiting on wake-up but I'm still working on my timing with the different wakeups. I've seen s.HP, s.MP, cr.MP are good pressure tools on wake-up. Does anyone else have advice for how to keep the pressure on with Ryu?
  • kingawesomekingawesome Joined: Posts: 16
    So no Ryu master by any means but have the standard normals, combos and playstyle to a comfortable level.

What... do I do against Karin?

Just in general how should I be approaching that fight? I'm seriously at a loss :/
  • MourningIIstarMourningIIstar Joined: Posts: 36
    So I've pretty much peaked with Ryu. I keep getting Super Bronze and then ill fight a ton of good super bronze or even Ultra bronze and get knocked back to bronze. Then get a winning streak and go back up again. I definitely know I need to improve just not exactly sure in which aspects.
    PiLON wrote: »

You can use C.HP. also S.HK works at a certain range and if you get a crush counter you can follow it up with a fireball.
  • shinbojanshinbojan Joined: Posts: 501
    cr.HP is really bad for close jumpins.
    shinbojan wrote: »
    cr.HP is really bad for close jumpins.

It goes without saying that if it will cross you up do not use chp or the roundhouse. bhk however can touch someone out of the air if they are right above you.
  • JTShredderJTShredder Joined: Posts: 30
    Can someone please help, Im losing my mind! Im trying to do a simple combo - cr.LP cr.LP cr.MP. I simply cannot get the cr.MP to hit, it either gets blocked by the dummy or doesnt come out, regardless of how many variations in timing i try. This brings me to my main question - I tried plinking to make the cr.MP come out easier, but whenever I plink the cr.MP ryu actually performs a cr.LP. The plinking looks correct on the button press display, with the medium button press first, then on the next row above there is the light punch icon with the medium punch icon to the right of it, but the cr.LP is what ryu is actually performing. What the hell am I doing wrong????