Ryu Video Thread

jchensorjchensor Salty ChenJoined: Posts: 1,934 admin
edited March 2016 in Ryu
Want to see some good examples of top players using Ryu? Want to post your own matches for critique and advice from fellow Forum members? This is the thread for you.

=== NOTE: If you want to become the OP for this thread so you can maintain the top post to aggregate the thread's information here, contact me via the SRK messaging system and I will be able to convert you to become the OP for this thread. ===
Post edited by jchensor on
http://jchensor.blogspot.com

"We don't stop playing because we get old. We get old because we stop playing." -- Doyle Brunson

"Every time you win, it diminishes the fear a little bit. You never really cancel the fear of losing; you keep challenging it." -- Arthur Ashe

(AV art obtained from here: http://meatbun.us/blog/?p=162)

Comments

• KaizenMaster007KaizenMaster007 Constantly Improve Joined: Posts: 71
    Hi Forum,

During the Beta #3 I only used Ryu for close to 500 matches in two days. I didn't focus on using Parry like Desk or others who wanted to make a video about that skill. What I did do was just play as much as I could and cut out the Parries I performed for you to see. Here is a playlist highlighting the rare times I used Parry, some Training Room setups, high level zoning, and overall strong fundamental play for you to enjoy. Please offer your feedback. I've improved because of you!

FUNDAMENTAL & AGGRESSIVE RYU PLAYLIST

- KaizenMaster
  • dfybdfyb Joined: Posts: 368
    "defibe"
  • LBLB HyungOppa Joined: Posts: 1,760 mod
    here is me sucking and getting ragequit. woooo

http://plays.tv/video/56c7cd78eb10be3233
    Ryu only! Gold league for now and I stream my matches at twitch.tv/hyunglee/. Hope to get ranked (top1000) soon!
    The SFV Guidebook - Part 1 (Street Fighter Tutorial)
  • LiangHuBBBLiangHuBBB Joined: Posts: 2,123
    edited February 2016

Post edited by LiangHuBBB on
    www.youtube.com/user/LiangHuBBB
  • GenUser!GenUser! Joined: Posts: 2,956
    Here's a match agains a cammy I had earlier

CFN: Dmen05
    PSN: davmen05
  • mtsac kidmtsac kid Joined: Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Got sick of not getting lobbies to work and got inspired by those dirty Kuroda / Daigo dash under resets. Dash under setup in the corner that leads to stun and potential 90%+ damage
    My favorite quote of 2010 - "No.....Nooooo...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....FUCK!!!" Mike Ross during a random AE match with Marn
    My favorite quote of 2011 - "Real men play ST" Ohnuki
    ST and 3S revival while waiting for SFxT..HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
  • Intuitive2011Intuitive2011 Cr.Mk XX Hadoken Joined: Posts: 3,617

"Often times, a loss will strengthen and benefit the player more than a win, so I would say don't be afraid of losing and keeping competing." ~Infiltration
    here is another ragequit from rank 99 hahaha. :( come on man, don't make my grind any harder than it is. I don't get to play so much. :(

turn the sound down. i forgot how close the mic was at the end

http://plays.tv/video/56caa3e578d70801b8
    Ryu only! Gold league for now and I stream my matches at twitch.tv/hyunglee/. Hope to get ranked (top1000) soon!
  • Rice_EaterRice_Eater Now more Evil Joined: Posts: 1,787
    Couple of my own matches, a win and a loss.

I definitely feel the struggle sometimes and it's confusing fighting some of these new characters or the new play styles of past characters. But even though Ryu remains very similar to past ones, I'm finding myself having a lot of fun playing him. Much more so than in any version of SF4.
  • JoutaiJoutai Some Ken Player Joined: Posts: 644
    Hey, SRK. Some matches of XsK Samurai's Ryu and old school PatMonsta209's Nash.

• BraboChokeBraboChoke I take my food for thought with a pinch of salt Joined: Posts: 550
    Marvisto

• BraboChokeBraboChoke I take my food for thought with a pinch of salt Joined: Posts: 550
    VesperArcade - Combo Guide

• mundaneymundaney Joined: Posts: 228
    Picked up Ryu after getting frustrated with Karin in tournament. Let me know what I should be doing.

twitch.tv/mundaney
  • RICHMISTERRICHMISTER Joined: Posts: 1
    Been messing around with jump in frame traps with Ryu, I feel sorry for anyone trying to punish a jump in from him with a light, mid or throw:

Let me know what you think so we can develop this further.
    edited February 2016
    here's me grinding ranked from 3000LP to 3700LP today and providing some commentary on the matches.

Ugh - sorry I'm streaming noob. I don't know how to link past broadcast directly - so just go to my channel and watch the latest one? I'll try to put just highlights when I have time and/or player names I've matched against.

• FGC_OniFGC_Oni Joined: Posts: 80
    I need to take lessons from Daigo's Ryu. His use of the V-Reversal in this match is ingenious and he's so defensive compared to Tokido and FourWude literally walling the opponent out.

• MajorasMajoras Joined: Posts: 4
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=zwCRQ6HjuzA
    Some matches any advice?
    Majoras wrote: »

Advice on what? You wrecked that Karin player lmao
    FGC_Oni wrote: »
    Majoras wrote: »

Advice on what? You wrecked that Karin player lmao
    XD
    any mistake?
    edited February 2016
    @FGC_Oni : you sure it's daigo? he doesn't move like that normally... heh maybe he was messing around? but yeah good match!

@Majoras : you got really good anti-airs! the two things i'd work on are:
    1. you really need to punish crossups. you let most of them through and that's untapped damage
    2. make sure to do as much damage as you can from your openings. a lot of your combos are sub-optimal.

anyways, i put more matches up to 3800LP on my twitch. i got drunk around 4000 LP and started losing. AHAHHAHA. sorry.
    LB wrote: »
    @FGC_Oni : you sure it's daigo? he doesn't move like that normally... heh maybe he was messing around? but yeah good match!

@Majoras : you got really good anti-airs! the two things i'd work on are:
    1. you really need to punish crossups. you let most of them through and that's untapped damage
    2. make sure to do as much damage as you can from your openings. a lot of your combos are sub-optimal.

anyways, i put more matches up to 3800LP on my twitch. i got drunk around 4000 LP and started losing. AHAHHAHA. sorry.

ok thanks dude
    LB wrote: »

It's Daigo, lmao I felt hella accomplished after just barely breaking 1000 LP last night. I beat a Zangief the other day ranked 12000 worldwide. My rank is floating around 80000-60000 I can't remember right now. I'm slowly getting better at this game. I'd be satisfied reaching Gold in the next few months. Platinum is a long term thing for me lmao
    edited February 2016

-_-

leading theory is that i went to neutral frame-perfect to get hit. :(

i'll try to post other examples when i can but i don't know if that's it.
  • J_ismJ_ism Hungry fighter Joined: Posts: 145
    edited February 2016
    Some of Daigo's online matches.

uploaded by this person who has I'm pretty certain has most of the footage of Daigo's Ryu we've seen so far, including the Lupe Fiasco exhibition lol
  • LiangHuBBBLiangHuBBB Joined: Posts: 2,123
    J_ism wrote: »

uploaded by this person who has I'm pretty certain has most of the footage of Daigo's Ryu we've seen so far, including the Lupe Fiasco exhibition lol

on block - which fireball is daigo / are you guys doing from close range cr.MK?
    www.youtube.com/user/LiangHuBBB
  • DybbelybDybbelyb Joined: Posts: 45
    Daigo dosnt really use cr.MP xx Hado in any of the stream highlights or replays i've seen so far (he has canceled into dp/tatsu instead) but has heavy use of cr.MK xx HP Hado, never really uses medium Hado even in neutral from what i've seen and only use he makes of LP hado in neutral has been to cover his own approch esp against bisons.

Think this is a very interesting video! up until this point i've assumed that sim owns the long range vs ryu but maybe he dosnt, Valle only gets into trouble when he goes in way to directly, it might actualy be better to play it patiently and wait for a teleport to jab then scramble from that point for your damage.
  • MuayGioMuayGio aka Wulfsten Joined: Posts: 1,389
    LiangHuBBB wrote: »
    J_ism wrote: »

on block - which fireball is daigo / are you guys doing from close range cr.MK?

Close range I don't think it makes too much of a difference, as all Hado strengths have the same frame data? The only thing I can think is that HP Hado might give the opponent a slightly smaller window to DP through, but considering how no one is really DPing through the cr.MK xx Hado blockstring, I think it's a marginal thing!
    Hey! You haven't felt the true beat of my groove yet! Here!
    SFV: Ryu (PSN ID: Wulfsten)
    SFxT : Blanka x Elena
  • ReikireiReikirei Hai Hai Hai! Joined: Posts: 63
    Just made a tutorial about using Ryu's Parry as Anti-Air (like 20 mins ago):

"Where there is a will, there is a way."
  • HighlandfireballHighlandfireball Are you ready for a war? Joined: Posts: 8,636
    Dybbelyb wrote: »

Think this is a very interesting video! up until this point i've assumed that sim owns the long range vs ryu but maybe he dosnt, Valle only gets into trouble when he goes in way to directly, it might actualy be better to play it patiently and wait for a teleport to jab then scramble from that point for your damage.

I think HP hadou is better for sim, yes you might sacrifice a few frames on a teleport set up , but the idea of the fireball should not only be to punish limbs but to catch a yoga fire. Dhalsims never going to jump in so i don't see the use of LP hadou in this match up.

It's too hard to get that long-mid range damage from him. EX fireball KD and scramble pressure is one of the only ways I was getting in on good sims.
  • ArthixArthix Joined: Posts: 36

Sick parry video. All are setup in training but shows what is possible. 3:35 for EVO moment #37
  • MnszykMnszyk Joined: Posts: 990
    edited March 2016
    Reikirei wrote: »
    Just made a tutorial about using Ryu's Parry as Anti-Air (like 20 mins ago):

I really don't like this video, I don't think it does a very good job of explaining how parries against air attacks works, and it gives a mistaken impression that parries are guaranteed anti-airs. You use the word "punish" to describe things that are not punishes, and tell people to do really unsafe things like parry an air attack, and then go for a DP without explaining that they're actually unsafe.
  • ZOMBIEGUTS TZAZOMBIEGUTS TZA Mediocre Player Joined: Posts: 472
    edited March 2016
    SSF4AE:Ryu
    SC5:Maxi
    SFxT:Kazuya x Ryu
    GT-ZOMBIEGUTS TZA
  • StudioLSStudioLS Joined: Posts: 23
    edited March 2016
    [url="

Dybbelyb wrote: »

I think HP hadou is better for sim, yes you might sacrifice a few frames on a teleport set up , but the idea of the fireball should not only be to punish limbs but to catch a yoga fire. Dhalsims never going to jump in so i don't see the use of LP hadou in this match up.

It's too hard to get that long-mid range damage from him. EX fireball KD and scramble pressure is one of the only ways I was getting in on good sims.

Not affraid to say this but i've played zero good sims so far, so most of what i think of the matchup has been from watching youtube or twitch replays when at work.
    So your saying that it isnt worth trying to setup a zone, are the fireballs to reactable with Teleport punishes? or whats the deal? i know that Valle isnt winning from the long range but unlike older entrys he isnt loosing eighter.

• HighlandfireballHighlandfireball Are you ready for a war? Joined: Posts: 8,636
    edited March 2016
    The match pretty much plays out like you'd imagine, apart from the fact you can never jump, you could often still jump over a fireball against sim in other games to at least gain ground, but because of the trajectory of the yoga fire, it makes it tougher than before.

What happens is you have to dash up sweep, HP fireball or just dash when he throws the fireball because that's the only chance you get to close ground. Parry/DP is viable although it has to be a read.

I feel like in other games where you could really rush sim down after KD , it's harder in this game because of the wake up timings coupled with the push back of normals, then stick V-Reversal and carpet on top and sim has way more options than before.

I think you have to rush him down, but more like a burst here and there. A guy in my area is ranked in the top 200 with sim . I've only had about 10 games against him though.
    OMG lmao, he jumped in a lot against Dhalsim.