Karin Video Thread

jchensorjchensor Salty ChenJoined: Posts: 1,934 admin
edited March 2016 in Karin
Want to see some good examples of top players using Karin? Want to post your own matches for critique and advice from fellow Forum members? This is the thread for you.

=== NOTE: If you want to become the OP for this thread so you can maintain the top post to aggregate the thread's information here, contact me via the SRK messaging system and I will be able to convert you to become the OP for this thread. ===
Post edited by jchensor on
http://jchensor.blogspot.com

"We don't stop playing because we get old. We get old because we stop playing." -- Doyle Brunson

"Every time you win, it diminishes the fear a little bit. You never really cancel the fear of losing; you keep challenging it." -- Arthur Ashe

(AV art obtained from here: http://meatbun.us/blog/?p=162)

Comments

• NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,315
    Justin Wong uploaded a ton of day 1 matches between him and Floe. Both of them are testing a whole bunch of characters, but there's a lot of Karin footage lying around here.

• MarlowMarlow Joined: Posts: 31
    Here's David, with some nice commentary , playing Zangief/Dahlsim/F.A.N.G. against a Karin.

• AzraelAzrael Epic Calling! Joined: Posts: 3,258
    I'm posting Karin ranked match vids. I still have a lot to learn and improve, but if you want to get an idea of the casual scene in Japan here you go.

Torem_Kamina:

Definitely need to work that EX Tatsu wake-up into my gameplan. Sacrificing damage and stun meter for psychological damage. That's some next level shit right there.

• mahavishnumahavishnu Joined: Posts: 6
    Karin breakdown from Sajam
  • MinyGame0MinyGame0 Joined: Posts: 43
    Here is about an hours worth of Karin footage vs a friend of mine. Includes games vs Gief, Chun, Ryu and Cammy. (Sorry about the people talking)

Mago seems to be maining Karin. Not very surprising, she seems like a good fit for him.
  • MinyGame0MinyGame0 Joined: Posts: 43
    Streaming some Karin games online. Come check it out
  • ClxJamesClxJames Still A Beginner... Joined: Posts: 2,548
    edited February 2016
    Sako vs Daigo

Not all 09's are created equally - http://www.youtube.com/user/SheltonShenanigans
  • easyyogasnipereasyyogasniper Not KD Joined: Posts: 6

Hi. Couple matches from this weekend.

I know there's a lot of unsafe and suboptimal stuff in this, but it's my first weekend really playing SFV.

• HousefaceHouseface Joined: Posts: 88
    nice match against Arturo. Definitely one of the scariest dudes week one.
    Just wait for their feet to be at eye level and jump in. Pretty simple

Not all 09's are created equally - http://www.youtube.com/user/SheltonShenanigans
    edited February 2016

An hour of Justin playing (mostly) Karin. =3
  • muklanleemuklanlee Joined: Posts: 18
  • ManiacMike313ManiacMike313 Joined: Posts: 110
    Some setups I've just picked up on. Really just started learning her.
  • GBS GiovanniGBS Giovanni Winter's Coming Joined: Posts: 2,961
    Hey guys, can yall critique my matches and help me improved. at a deadlock and know I need alot of improvement to do.

"One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves." - Niccolò Machiavelli
    GiovanniSama | Twitter GetBodiedSonGaming
    edited February 2016
    Karin 67% Frame Trap Mixup

• SHwoKingSHwoKing Joined: Posts: 46
    edited February 2016
    Hey guys, can yall critique my matches and help me improved. at a deadlock and know I need alot of improvement to do.

Hi,

First, you shouldn't go for Mujin or Ressenha as block string. This is a very bad habit and you'll get killed in the long run. The Ken start to punish your full screen Ressenha with a DP but maybe he can do even better damage.

I don't saw you use st.MK that much and it's a very good poke.

Don't try telegraph cross-up that will put you in the corner. This is just begging for corner pressure from your opponent.

Try to maximize your damage. On Laura you had ressource and you only did a basic BnB combo where you could have killed/almost killed her by using them.
    Post edited by SHwoKing on
  • Hamma 2k6Hamma 2k6 Joined: Posts: 11
    Here's some of my online matches. Not great at the game but constructive criticism is welcome.

• SHwoKingSHwoKing Joined: Posts: 46
    edited February 2016
    Hamma 2k6 wrote: »
    Snip

First use proper links. cr.MP, st.MP is a proper link, cr.MP, cr.MK is too. st.LP, st.MP / cr.LP, cr.MK, etc... aren't.
    You're missing a lot of damage opportunity from jump MK by using those fake links.

Second, you must use Tenko, Mujin, Ressenha only on hit confirm. Don't throw them like that or you'll get killed against players that knows how to punish them on block.

Pratice your BnB. Landing Tenko with no juggle is a fail.

Use your meter to maximize damage.

SHwoKing wrote: »
    Hamma 2k6 wrote: »
    Snip

First use proper links. cr.MP, st.MP is a proper link, cr.MP, cr.MK is too. st.LP, st.MP / cr.LP, cr.MK, etc... aren't.
    You're missing a lot of damage opportunity from jump MK by using those fake links.

Second, you must use Tenko, Mujin, Ressenha only on hit confirm. Don't throw them like that or you'll get killed against players that knows how to punish them on block.

Pratice your BnB. Landing Tenko with no juggle is a fail.

Use your meter to maximize damage.
    Thanks a lot man. Yeah I'm always being punished by using tenko etc un safely. And noticed my links leave a lot to be desired. Back to the lab it is Thanks for the advice
    SHwoKing wrote: »

Hi,

First, you shouldn't go for Mujin or Ressenha as block string. This is a very bad habit and you'll get killed in the long run. The Ken start to punish your full screen Ressenha with a DP but maybe he can do even better damage.

I don't saw you use st.MK that much and it's a very good poke.

Don't try telegraph cross-up that will put you in the corner. This is just begging for corner pressure from your opponent.

Try to maximize your damage. On Laura you had ressource and you only did a basic BnB combo where you could have killed/almost killed her by using them.

Thank you, I'm starting to use St.MK more. I have a FT 5 with a solid Necalli that I'm going to upload soon and that's when I really learned how good it is. What would you recommend for a block string? I agree that I also try the corner cross up way to much.
    "One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves." - Niccolò Machiavelli
    I played a set with KBrad at Winter Brawl X. I need to learn more about her frame data

This set was recorded prior to the advice you gave me but I was still able to play more controlled. Still a lot of mistakes on the blockstrings and Ressenha usage.

Hopefully, this set is a lot better. Still some mistakes and I know I got away with a lot of things because the Mika was scared, but I feel like I was a lot better with my blockstrings and VTrigger usage and meaty set ups. Still open for advice.
  • easyyogasnipereasyyogasniper Not KD Joined: Posts: 6
    Reikirei wrote: »
    This is the first episode of Sukiari!, a new series where I show you when and how you can punish other characters:

This is a great idea for those of us who are too lazy to learn these things in our own! Thanks.
  • pepopulopepopulo Eternal's groupi Joined: Posts: 633
    A karin combo video (warning, not much in here is practical)
    Nueva tecnología!!!
  • AzraelAzrael Epic Calling! Joined: Posts: 3,258
    Some ranked matches. Would appreciate some feedback! I already know - I need to get better at maximizing my punishes and taking off more damage when I get an opening. Lots of missed opportunities...

Torem_Kamina:

Definitely need to work that EX Tatsu wake-up into my gameplan. Sacrificing damage and stun meter for psychological damage. That's some next level shit right there.

• NutsNuts Old-school gamer Joined: Posts: 485
    edited March 2016
    Azrael wrote: »
    Some ranked matches. Would appreciate some feedback! I already know - I need to get better at maximizing my punishes and taking off more damage when I get an opening. Lots of missed opportunities...

Just curious, is there a reason you're not using 2MP, MP, Tenko after you land a jump in/cross up MK? Was this session more about practicing the 2LP,2LP, Tenko?

Biggest thing I think you should incorporate:

-Mix in Command Dash Orochi along with your regular dashes->throw/tick mixups. Right now you're using the command dash almost exclusively as a way to set up throws/2LP, but your last match had someone who loved pressing buttons every time you tried to move in. Command Dash Orochi does a pretty good job of stuffing those buttons. If Orochi happens to be blocked, you're at -2 and outside of most characters' throw range.
  • Buster CannonBuster Cannon Cool head, heated heart Joined: Posts: 3,440

I'm down for some match critique. I know I need to work on the Bison MU, along with AA-ing Necalli's divekick.
    PSN: AquaTeamV3
    SFV Fighter ID: BusterCannon
    FightCade: AquaTeamV3
    My YouTube Channel
    The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)
  • Trife88Trife88 Juri doesn't suck. The game sucks. Joined: Posts: 7,125
    This is the first episode of Sukiari!, a new series where I show you when and how you can punish other characters:

Love the presentation. This is dope. Keep doing these!
    Streets of Rage 2 > SFV
    Took SHowKings advice and my game improved immediately. Thanks man. Obviously still got loads of room for improvement especially on my whiff/punishes. But slowly getting there. Here's another load of ranked matches. Comments and critiques welcome.

• The MartianThe Martian Tatsu Spam Supreme™ Joined: Posts: 12,149
    Who's the best known Karin player right now? Can I get some videos of them playing?
    "Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are."

Tumblr (NSFW)
    PSN: Shadaloo_Martian
  • ChaudBlazeChaudBlaze The C is for Chaud Joined: Posts: 463
    Ummm guys
  • Streetsince92Streetsince92 hella pounded Joined: Posts: 40
    Who's the best known Karin player right now? Can I get some videos of them playing?

Mago IMO
  • ReanRean Freebuki Joined: Posts: 844
    go watch floe stream, floe karin is sick
    There is no such thing as innocence,only degrees of guilt.
  • ReikireiReikirei Hai Hai Hai! Joined: Posts: 63
    Trife88 wrote: »

Love the presentation. This is dope. Keep doing these!

Thanks guys! It took a while because I'm really busy with work, but here's the second episode:

"Where there is a will, there is a way."
  • TheycallmeDaisyTheycallmeDaisy Joined: Posts: 10
    are we allow to share streaming too? tho i will probably stream more often maybe.
  • SlimeSlime Joined: Posts: 31
    I'm currently hovering between Ultra Bronze and Silver and hoping someone can review and help me improve.
    I played a bunch of matches yesterday and struggling on a few match ups.

Chun Li:

Not sure how to deal with the instant air legs pressure and just overall beating a Chun that is pressing buttons.

Laura:

Birdie:

Nash:

R. Mika:

I don't have a lot on M. Bison, but he's a tough match up for me as well.

Feel free to check out any other videos in channel and let me know what I can improve on.

An hour of Mago-footage.
    Slime wrote: »
    I'm currently hovering between Ultra Bronze and Silver and hoping someone can review and help me improve.
    I played a bunch of matches yesterday and struggling on a few match ups.

Chun Li:

Not sure how to deal with the instant air legs pressure and just overall beating a Chun that is pressing buttons.

First and foremost, you need to practice anti-airing Chun. There were a bunch of situations where Chun jumped from a range that's good for your AAs, and you just blocked. If you let Chun get away with that, she really has no reason to play the ground game against you and will get pressure for days. So, I suggest go into training mode and practice AAing shit. Also, recognize the ranges and situations where Chun is likely to jump or IALL, and be prepared for jumps in those situations.

You also dropped a bunch of punishes. The second Chun got away with like 4 grounded LLs on block. Aside from the EX version, all of the grounded LLs are -8 or worse, so that's free damage for you if you block it.

• MalFreezeMalFreeze Joined: Posts: 12
    edited March 2016
    So yesterday we had a local tournament and I got 2nd place with Karin

This is the link to losers final match

And this is the grand final match

I would appreciate your criticism.

Ps: sorry for the bad stream we had connection issues there. Also, I usually do a little better but tournament nerves got me
  • KGershkoffKGershkoff On the journey of a thousand miles........ Joined: Posts: 303
    edited March 2016

I need help with my anti-airs, I know. But is there something else I need to work on?
  • noasticknoastick Joined: Posts: 6
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=m2rPHD6Gwwg
    I know I have to jump less and perfect the anti-airs, but is there anything else I can do to improve my game? I also do too much V-Skill I think. I think I uploaded one of my worse matches against that guy, because I was able to win a few.
  • TheMexicanCowboyTheMexicanCowboy Joined: Posts: 54
    noastick wrote: »
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=m2rPHD6Gwwg
    I know I have to jump less and perfect the anti-airs, but is there anything else I can do to improve my game? I also do too much V-Skill I think. I think I uploaded one of my worse matches against that guy, because I was able to win a few.

Try using st.LK more since its a really good button and if you practice with it enough on counter hit you can link into cr.MK and thus do the special of your choice after that, but even if you dont link cr.MK after it st.LK is still a really good button. You never really got your offense started, but that is ok cause you still have good mid-range buttons dont be afraid to just play the neutral game, you lost both rounds from taking damage simply from trying to get in on your opponent. Karin is a low health character and while she does get good meaty set-ups after most of her BnBs she doesnt gain enough momentum to warrant taking a lot of damage simply to get in. Just be patient and wait for you chance to dash in or get close to your opponent. You already seem to have a good idea of when to pressure and when a knockdown doesnt net you pressure so thats really good, just work on being more patient and and playing in the neutral game until you get the chance start your pressure. Aside from that yea just work on AAs, V-skill usage wasnt too much but just make sure you know why you are using it and not just using it cause you feel like you need to press a button, aside from that it was ok.
  • laxlightlaxlight Joined: Posts: 823
    MalFreeze wrote: »

Ps: sorry for the bad stream we had connection issues there. Also, I usually do a little better but tournament nerves got me

Congrats! If you're from Bahrain, can I have your cfn ID? I'm sure I can learn a lot more by just playing you.
  • MalFreezeMalFreeze Joined: Posts: 12
    laxlight wrote: »
    MalFreeze wrote: »

Congrats! If you're from Bahrain, can I have your cfn ID? I'm sure I can learn a lot more by just playing you.

Thank you! , my CFN ID is MalFreeze.
  • AxisAxis Joined: Posts: 4
    edited April 2016
    I won this fight, but I know I could have played it better. Any advice or critiques would be appreciated. I'm going to Texas Showdown and would like to step my game up a bit.....well, a lot actually.

and here is a 2/3 match against an Alex. I lost this one, but I think I played it better than the previous video.
  • NutsNuts Old-school gamer Joined: Posts: 485
    edited April 2016
    Axis wrote: »
    snip

Here's what I see:
    -You need to get used to walking forward. HP Rasenha, Sappo, and jumps are all risky options for getting in. No need to overcomplicate the matter. Get as close to your opponent as they'll let you. It's also a good test to see how prone your opponent is to pressing buttons.

-Go into Training Mode and learn the distance where s.MK barely misses. This is where Karin wants to set up her offense. From here you can fish for counter hits, dance in and out of your opponent's attack range, bait whiffs which you can punish, or dash in if you thinking your opponent is sleeping, etc, etc. Obviously, match-ups will determine how long you can stay at this range, but it's where an opponent has to start being wary of your offensive tools.

-Stop back dashing/continuously walking back into long range. You're giving up position. (example @ 01:03. Alex whiffs a s.HP and you walk to the other side of the screen. You should have either poked him with one of your longer normals, dashed in to take advantage of his recovery, or if you were afraid he might throw out an EX elbow, stayed put and blocked to see what he was going to do next). Sometimes, you have to give up your position, but your opponent should have to force you there, you shouldn't be walking back that far for free.

-Stop using c.HK at a distance it can so easily be punished (example @ 01:11). Thankfully, your opponent didn't know he could get free damage, but against even a slightly better player, you'd be paying dearly. Use c.HK primarily as a whiff punish or as a simple punish against attacks with high recovery (example: when you block someone else's sweep). Most importantly, learn the distance where c.HK barely tags your opponent. Even at this range, it's still punishable, but it's significantly harder to do so.

-Incorporate s.LK, s.LP, c.LP into your game. These normals are +3, +2, +2 on block. They're key to her frame traps and on CH, they combo into Mediums. In short, they are a huge reason why people are so afraid of Karin when she gets close. I don't think I saw you use them once the entire set.

TLDR: Walk forward instead of doing risky shit to get in, learn s.MK range and how to mount an offense from that distance, stop using cHK so damn close, and use light attacks more.
    Thanks for the advice! I'll get in the training room after work and work on that.
  • INVIZOBLEINVIZOBLE Joined: Posts: 264

Still Learning
    youtube.com/invizoble