Zangief Match-Ups Thread

Comments

• filldohfilldoh Chief Beata Bitch Joined: Posts: 1,195
    chief713 wrote: »
    Also, don't jump at Vega when he has VT. He can punish with a VT combo for free.
    I'll expand on that. Since we have a parry there is no reason to jump in almost any matchup.
    Meeefius wrote: »
    How can I beat Cammy's s.mk with gief? This move can beat all my poking tools like s.mp, s.lk or cr.lp.
    Ok i have played alot of this matchup lately so here are some cammy tips
    At distance
    Her standing mk gets beat by cr LP
    Her cr HP beats your cr lP
    Her cr HP loses to your st MK
    dont use St HP they can drill that on reaction.
    Any blocked Holigan is free spd.
    Headbutt on wakeup or block. dont cross up as she can uppercut it all.
    CC all blocked DPs.
    CC Vskill on reaction.

This is a very slow match just like SF4 but really fun it is all footsies.

Karin Tips

6MK to beat her cmk
    good Karin's cr.mp and then her overhead. Crouching beats all followups.
    Parry her 236k,p
    St Jab beats every jump in.

Seems 5/5
    Gunmad wrote: »
    Kanon42 wrote: »
    Anybody have tips for nash? I seem to get stomped by people well below me and it's frustrating.

V-skill his backfist and medium scythe into l.spd. After eating few of those be ready for his dash > grab.
    Keep an eye on his v-trigger gauge. His trigger loses to meaties. His v-reversal is even more annoying, but afaik you can meatie into spd to snatch him out of it (feels more like a hard read if anything).
    Super is his only inv. move.
    When he is throwing slow boom and is walking behind it you can try lariat to bypass the projectile and hit him outside of whatever normal he was going to do (again, risky)
    Pay very close attention to his super bar. When you jump over boom and he is doing super, you can do regular air spd to bypass it.
    When he vtriggers on top of you, you can do lariat (usually trades), not sure if you can st lp or dhp...
    And learn to headbutt those booms.

Follow up on this when he has full bar don't parry anymore he can cancel his attacks to CA on reaction to your parry. With other characters this is not an issue as you can just parry the CA, Nash CA counts as an attack grab though and beats parry clean.
  • scratchbackscratchback Joined: Posts: 1,043
    How do you guys feel about the Birdie mu?
  • chief713chief713 Texas Cyclone Joined: Posts: 619
    It's pretty bad IMO. His V-Skill stops Gief's offense cold and he's got better buttons that lead to more in the neutral. Whiff punishes with st.MP gets him a buffer into Bull head for good damage and ground control. Gief's V-Skill can be checked with jumping chain (especially EX) and st.FP gets CC'd by sweep or low profiled by DF.HP. Also Birdie can do V-Skill to make him immune to the suction effects of VT.

All those tools and both have the same health and do similar damage.
    It's pretty bad IMO. His V-Skill stops Gief's offense cold and he's got better buttons that lead to more in the neutral. Whiff punishes with st.MP gets him a buffer into Bull head for good damage and ground control. Gief's V-Skill can be checked with jumping chain (especially EX) and st.FP gets CC'd by sweep or low profiled by DF.HP. Also Birdie can do V-Skill to make him immune to the suction effects of VT.

All those tools and both have the same health and do similar damage.

dont forget his ex command grab is unthowable. overall its really tough, your cr. jab beats most of his pokes at range but for the most part when he has banana out you are going to have to make a hard read to win. IF you get him to the corner it is hard for him to get out without taking MAJOR risks so it is not unwinnable but is one of his worst matchups.

filldoh wrote: »
    dont forget his ex command grab is unthowable. overall its really tough, your cr. jab beats most of his pokes at range but for the most part when he has banana out you are going to have to make a hard read to win. IF you get him to the corner it is hard for him to get out without taking MAJOR risks so it is not unwinnable but is one of his worst matchups.

Forget? I didn't even know...wtf? How is it that a character with so many tools already is allowed to have an unthrowable command grab but the guy who is a WRESTLER and who's archetype revolves around command grab doesn't?

nick-young-confused-face-300x256.png
  • WallachWallach Joined: Posts: 209
    edited February 2016
    Forget? I didn't even know...wtf? How is it that a character with so many tools already is allowed to have an unthrowable command grab but the guy who is a WRESTLER and who's archetype revolves around command grab doesn't?

nick-young-confused-face-300x256.png

Zangief's EX SPD is also throw invincible.

• GunmadGunmad Joined: Posts: 96
    edited February 2016
    But Zangief EX 360 is unthrowable too.
    Also you can throw birdie out of Bull Revenger (regular and spds work). Whether Im full of shit or I dont do this right...
    Yes, it works but the timing is strict.
    Yea, that's my bad. I was thinking of SF4 where normal SPD was throw invincible (but hittable) and EX SPD was hit invincible (but throwable).
  • ensaneensane Garbage Joined: Posts: 76
    99% sure you could throw SPD in SF4. He was super free to meaty throws on wakeup just like Abel.
    Yeah the mu feels pretty bad imo. Ive only played 2 or 3 Birdies so far but he seems to win the neutral by a lot. Kinda reminded of Gief/Hugo in 4, not fun at all.
  • JeromJerom Joined: Posts: 1,189
    Watching Snakeeyez stream he showed that you can jump on top of Birdies cans/bananas and block which makes the fight more manageable. Snakeeyez believes Gief wins that matchup. In fact the only really bad matchup he feels is Dhalsim.
    CFN: Jeromy
    gief abby
    People talking about mu's and the games been out less that 2 weeks lol. Kinda makes me laugh. LOTS of things will change in time.
    People talking about mu's and the games been out less that 2 weeks lol. Kinda makes me laugh. LOTS of things will change in time.

No doubt it will. You can tell somethings that are obvious. Not to mention it's fun and this is how we get better by finding options and adapting.

No doubt it will. You can tell somethings that are obvious. Not to mention it's fun and this is how we get better by finding options and adapting.

Of course totally agree. I'm talking more about the people that say things like, "so and so definitely beats so and so". Or this character is the worst or the best etc etc.
    edited February 2016

Of course totally agree. I'm talking more about the people that say things like, "so and so definitely beats so and so". Or this character is the worst or the best etc etc.

I know it is funny. That's why my post of match ups said early, most people missed that. i am sure I will be wrong about a few but if someone can prove me wrong I win as I level up!
  • HonZoMonHonZoMon Joined: Posts: 39
    Yep, there's nothing wrong with posting matchups even like day one. Everyone knows that those are subject to change and it's nothing official or set in stone.

Basically.....

WT6Hk.gif
  • ensaneensane Garbage Joined: Posts: 76
    Only one for sure is he loses to Chun, just like he has in every other game ever XD
    ensane wrote: »
    Only one for sure is he loses to Chun, just like he has in every other game ever XD

I haven't played a Chun offline yet but online this mu is a complete joke. Definitely feels worse than 4 but who knows how it will pan out eventually. Actually online in general is a joke but most of us here know that already lol.
  • JibbJibb Joined: Posts: 52
    Did you guys not see Snake Eyez blow up Ricki Ortiz's Chun Li? You guys gotta lab more.
    ensane wrote: »
    Not that bad. I think he beats her at sweep range with parry and cr jab. Plus counter hit sweep is a free safe jump
  • AlxLAlxL Joined: Posts: 98
    Hi, I am new here in these forums.
    Well, I have been having a lot of problems against Dhalsim!
    Against Chun also, but everytime I am patient I win against her.
    I haven't played a Chun offline yet but online this mu is a complete joke.
    I play online and offline and in my opinion is the same!

• Marsh_D_TeachMarsh_D_Teach Joined: Posts: 85
    Zangief can still manipulate his hurt box with how and where he jumps in on people that makes it slightly like sf4, just not as blatantly good. I'm finding that empty jumping gets zangief over rashids gales smoothly when timed right. I've been able to land spd as I land, but I need to test it to make sure it can be guaranteed instead of it possibly just being the rashids I've played being too shocked at gief making the jump over to act in time.

I think empty jumping from a certain spot and mixing in a differrnt jump spot/j.mk also makes it difficult for characters like vega to get a solid AA game established
  • HonZoMonHonZoMon Joined: Posts: 39
    Jibb wrote: »
    Did you guys not see Snake Eyez blow up Ricki Ortiz's Chun Li? You guys gotta lab more.

If he does this again the next time they play, I will agree. But Snake got away with a LOT of shit in that tourny. Taking nothing away from him of course, but I'd like to see this match again after they had a couple of months to train.
    HonZoMon wrote: »
    Jibb wrote: »

If he does this again the next time they play, I will agree. But Snake got away with a LOT of shit in that tourny. Taking nothing away from him of course, but I'd like to see this match again after they had a couple of months to train.

Completely agree. People are so scared now and Snake is taking advantage of this big time. Look at his match against RayRay at Undefeated. RayRay had no idea what to do and basically just stood there and let Snake maul him. Everyone's learning now.
  • JeromJerom Joined: Posts: 1,189
    Can Nash just escape the corner easily or is there a way to deal with his v trigger?
    CFN: Jeromy
    gief abby
  • AlxLAlxL Joined: Posts: 98
    Jerom wrote: »
    Can Nash just escape the corner easily or is there a way to deal with his v trigger?

Lariat is my choice when I "hear" his V-Trigger sound!
  • PANDEMlCPANDEMlC Joined: Posts: 117
    Do we have any good gameplay vids vs Sim? I'd like to see how a Gief manages to get in.
    SF5: Birdie, Fang, Zangief, Urien, Alex
    MKX: Quan Chi, Predator, Jason
    GG: Faust
  • VDonVDon THANK YOU STARBASED GOD Joined: Posts: 654
    I think the key to beating Sim is not being so protective of your white life. You gotta understand, once you're in, Sim is dead. Your damage output is too good. His slow jump descension means free s.hk or air spd. His normals, aside from s.jab, are slow. So how do you get in? Vskill up, walk in, take the damage like a man. Don't worry about losing the health. Wreck face.
    SSF4AE 2012: E. Honda/Chun-Li/Fei Long
    Twitter: @VDonv3
    edited February 2016
    That's not to say you should give your white health away for free or immediately vskill walk like a retard. Creep up like you do against any zoning character. Once you get a feel for their poke rhythm, vskill, walk, flex on their limbs. Jumping jab is also really good at a little beyond half screen range. Crouching and standing jab beat most things from half screen.

All that being said, I think this match is a winnable 6/4 in Sim's favor. It's hard but not impossible.
    For now we can look at snake eyez vs afrocole match from this week's wnf as a reference for sim vs gief. Snake lost, but he didn't get blown up, it was a good set. Then when Chris t picked sim against snake later on in the tourney snake blew it up
    To be fair, Chris T's sim is not a main sim. Afrocole's is.
    Cr.mp and f.mk can also beat or trade with limbs. It's kind of a read but still something to bring out occasionally.
  • bypostmanbypostman Joined: Posts: 2,207
    Patient Kens seem hard to deal with.
    Has anyone started getting the karin punishes down yet on her blocked specials yet? Sometimes I think I'm blocking something that should be negative enough for spd, but im not getting the reversal timing spot on yet since it feels like so much of her stuff has distinct amounts of blockstun.

The sooner I can commit reversal spd (of the best strength depending on distance in each situation) to memory on some of the wonkier things to block in some matchups, the less annoying it will get
  • gimmicksgimmicks Joined: Posts: 12
    I agree with UltraDavid with the exception of: Cammy 6-4, and Karin 4-6
  • TekkenManTekkenMan Joined: Posts: 77
    Thanks for the insight Ultra David. I have to say in my experience Chun Li is Zangiefs worst match up. Her normals are too good against Zangief. I just can't get in.