Zangief Match-Ups Thread

Comments

• MesenkomahaMesenkomaha Joined: Posts: 580
    Great analysis Iso, excellent English too! Much appreciated to have everyone share their knowledge here.
  • HassunHassun Joined: Posts: 117
    edited April 2016
    Iso Arska wrote: »
    Here is the breakdown i promised.
    Thanks man. The info is much appreciated. Don't sell yourself short either, I've played a multitude of the ranked matches you have played and I'm in Silver. You're clearly a great player. Good English as well!

chief713 wrote: »
    I really don't think this matchup is bad for Gief. And no this isn't based on fighting random online Birdie; I actually have a really good one in my scene.
    Based on all the information and results we have so far I think we can safely say it's a bad match-up for Gief. I think that's pretty clear. How bad exactly? I say very bad but others might think it's 'only' kinda bad.

Now that we've talked a bit about Birdie I'd like to present you with my next unwinnable match-up: Nash.

Blocking and walking him in the corner has about a 5% success rate so far. Completely infeasible. Then there is the usual advice about him having no wake-up. Whenever I get a knockdown you had best bet I try to meaty him but very little has come of that. Interrupting his moonsault is also next to impossible. Both LP and crHP often completely miss and the moonsault is generally way too fast/sudden to be able to react to it with a slow move like crHP anyway. Not only that, when the blue scythe part comes out your anti-air usually straight up loses or at best trades with the moonsault. Lariat seems to be the only recourse but even that is often too slow.
    The best thing I can usually hope for is blocking and having enough V-metre to reversal.

So does anyone have any solid strategies against Nash? Because what I've tried so far sure doesn't work. I can't even beat Super Bronze Nashes online.

Post edited by Hassun on
  • chief713chief713 Texas Cyclone Joined: Posts: 619
    From what I'm hearing/reading/watching, I think people are largely playing the matchup wrong. The game is young so that's not really farfetched. IJS, when I play the matchup, it never feels unfair and I regularly beat Birdies, even good ones.

But don't take my word for it; apply the advice I've given and see if it helps.
  • BELLSPROUT?!BELLSPROUT?! Joined: Posts: 8
    Other than that, I actually would recommend jumping at him. What does he get off an AA? cr.MP, which does little damage and now you're in a situation where you both have to guess. If he presses buttons you have to respect and block, but if he goes for grab to beat that, you can guess EX SPD. If he jumps to beat that, then you can AA cr.HP or air SPD. The risk reward for jumping at Birdie is heavily in your favor because not only do you get waaay more damage off of successful hit, but you discourage him from pressing his slow, long range buttons, which allows you walk him to the corner where he dies to cr.LP and st.HP.

If you jump on Birdie and he hits cr.mp, then that's free momentum in his favor. You have just given him a free mixup on you which you have to guess in order to avoid. Going for the EX SPD is extremely risky because Birdie has a free st.HK on you after the cr.mp, which is a very nice crush counter for them and you've just lost a bar. Although don't deliberately stop yourself from jumping at Birdie completely, since there are certain ranges where cr.mp isn't the best and it's pretty important to test someone to see how their anti-airs are.

I just don't suggest putting yourself constantly in a free mixup, I personally prefer trying a very patient ground game until I get a knockdown on Birdie, since he's not the best on wakeup, and then forcing him to make guesses.
    From what I'm hearing/reading/watching, I think people are largely playing the matchup wrong. The game is young so that's not really farfetched. IJS, when I play the matchup, it never feels unfair and I regularly beat Birdies, even good ones.

But don't take my word for it; apply the advice I've given and see if it helps.
    Your advice is to jump at him. Birdie has the best anti-air button the entire game. I get where you are coming from with the risk/reward but he can literally build an anti-air wall in this game. And that's not even including the (EX) anti-air grab.
    If you play against good Birdies a lot, you must have some more advice than that.

I watch Itazan matches and Snake Eyez matches and holy hell they do NOT have a good time vs Birdies. It doesn't surprise me one bit that Snake was put into losers at Final Round by one.
    edited April 2016
    If you jump on Birdie and he hits cr.mp, then that's free momentum in his favor. You have just given him a free mixup on you which you have to guess in order to avoid. Going for the EX SPD is extremely risky because Birdie has a free st.HK on you after the cr.mp, which is a very nice crush counter for them and you've just lost a bar. Although don't deliberately stop yourself from jumping at Birdie completely, since there are certain ranges where cr.mp isn't the best and it's pretty important to test someone to see how their anti-airs are.

I just don't suggest putting yourself constantly in a free mixup, I personally prefer trying a very patient ground game until I get a knockdown on Birdie, since he's not the best on wakeup, and then forcing him to make guesses.

The point is that he has to guess too, and it's not free because if Birdie guesses wrong he, at best, loses momentum and at worst, gets hit for big damage and gets put in a mixup himself.

SCENARIO: Gief jumps and Birdie AA's with cr.MP

OPTION 1:
    - Birdie does that "free" st.HK
    - Gief blocks and VR and now you're +2 in his face.

OPTION 2:
    - Birdie now knows about VR and goes for throw
    - Gief does EX SPD, Birdie eats 240 dmg and now has to guess

And that's assuming he even successfully AA's. Also, if Gief has CA, it's even more fucked. Playing super patient is usually going to get you killed; his buttons are better and he gets more off of them. At equal skill, it's very unlikely that you'll beat Birdie by outfootsie'ing him; you're going to beat him by getting in and mixing him up. If you play a patient ground game, how do you knock him down such that you get follow-up pressure? st.HP and st.HK? Like Iso said, those are easy bait for st.MP xx Bull head. Dash up EX SPD? That's even riskier than jumping.

And you're not just jumping solely to land the hit. You're also jumping to discourage him from pressing the buttons with long recovery and make him focus his attention on AA. I'm not saying hold up-forward like an idiot (though Marn somehow beat a Japanese player by literally doing that with Mika), but it's something you should do with some consistency because any Birdie player will tell you that the one thing they fear is that random jump in on a medium/heavy button that nullifies all the work they just did.

Hassun wrote: »
    Your advice is to jump at him. Birdie has the best anti-air button the entire game. I get where you are coming from with the risk/reward but he can literally build an anti-air wall in this game. And that's not even including the (EX) anti-air grab.
    If you play against good Birdies a lot, you must have some more advice than that.

I watch Itazan matches and Snake Eyez matches and holy hell they do NOT have a good time vs Birdies. It doesn't surprise me one bit that Snake was put into losers at Final Round by one.

It doesn't matter how good cr.MP is; it does little damage and there's no guaranteed follow-up. And if Birdie is constantly AA'ing you that means he's not focusing as much on his ground game, which is one of the reasons why I suggest jumping more often. Because it's his amazing ground normals that kill Gief, not cr.MP. I'm just giving my thoughts on the main things I feel Giefs are struggling with. Aside from ignoring the banana and being more conservative with rushdown, I pretty much agree with all of Iso Arska's advice. That's an awesome write up.

Also, Snake Eyez played a long set with the Birdie that I train with at FR. They pretty much traded and Snake ended up winning the set by a small margin; both agreed that the matchup was close to even.
  • BananaCycloneBananaCyclone Joined: Posts: 49
    edited April 2016
    I realized that I know how to fight typical hit and run Nash but don't know how to fight pure fireball/AA Nash. I can barely touch Nash if he doesn't want to be touched. Block is not effective if he keep firing fireball. You can barely move forward if you just walk/headbutt/flex and Nash can kick you back randomly between fireballs, it's too fast to react. If you jump, AA is waiting.

Hit and run Nash comes to you frequently so Gief has a lot more chances to hit him.
  • RIFRIF Joined: Posts: 251
    @chief713
    Can you PLEASE do me a favor and post this in the MU thread?
    I have been saying that this is a 5-5 and a number of ill informed people in that thread are calling this a 7-3 in favor of Birdie. (Laughable)

Personally, I have trouble dealing with Gief for the exact reasons you stated. As a Birdie player, it feels like I can do everything right and STILL lose the round.
  • andoruandoru Joined: Posts: 121
    how do you guys deal with a spamming nash?

also any tips on countering throws
    gief player from the Philippines

player ID: andoru87
  • PrimordialPrimordial Joined: Posts: 8
    edited April 2016
    andoru wrote: »

Head butt and flex all projectiles moving forward until you get in and make them nervous; they want you to jump. Flex and spd backhands and ranged kicks. st jab counter into mix up all moon kicks even EX. Cr HP the inevitable teleport. CA plant finish to demoralize them haha.

cr LP to keep fast characters like ken from rushing in to throw. When they jump attack into throw its hard to read but I often like to v reversal any jump ins I don't anti-air with crHP, lariat or stLP. Wake up is always rock paper scissors but sometimes you can catch them with CA is they failed to notice you have super.
  • JustinAkatsukiJustinAkatsuki Joined: Posts: 214
    Hey im not a zangief player but i wanna give a special thanks and shoutout to chief173 and iso arska and a few others who are trying to help out with zangief matchups. No matter how bad a matchup may be or seem at first if you guys stick together and take advice then mentally you can always be prepared for any matchup. That goes a long way to building player skill level
  • richglixrichglix Joined: Posts: 106
    Whats the best way to deal with a patient Laura who keeps throwing those slow ass projectiles?

I've had some luck with jumping splash, as it eats the projectile, but I'm worried its not safe and my opponents are just bad.
  • richglixrichglix Joined: Posts: 106
    Awesome thanks. St HP will usually trade for me. I don't use St HK that much, didn't even think to try, thanks as usual.

Primordial wrote: »

Head butt and flex all projectiles moving forward until you get in and make them nervous; they want you to jump. Flex and spd backhands and ranged kicks. st jab counter into mix up all moon kicks even EX. Cr HP the inevitable teleport. CA plant finish to demoralize them haha.

cr LP to keep fast characters like ken from rushing in to throw. When they jump attack into throw its hard to read but I often like to v reversal any jump ins I don't anti-air with crHP, lariat or stLP. Wake up is always rock paper scissors but sometimes you can catch them with CA is they failed to notice you have super.

i noticed that when ken players are out of options they just run in for a grab but still hard to read since they could just do a c.mp orc.mk

• EvansgambitEvansgambit ATOMIC ZANGI Joined: Posts: 751
    edited April 2016
    i noticed that when ken players are out of options they just run in for a grab but still hard to read since they could just do a c.mp orc.mk
    Primordial wrote: »
    cr LP to keep fast characters like ken from rushing in to throw.

On prediction, defensive poke crouch LP, should do it. Safe on whiff, Guards the front area, if Ken's body or limbs enters that area, he gets hit. Should also do well (speed, range) against his slower attacks, cr.MP or cr.MK. Add in crouch block while your hitting air, just in case.
    ATOMIC ZANGI: Body slamming those busters
    edited April 2016
    Also, Snake Eyez played a long set with the Birdie that I train with at FR. They pretty much traded and Snake ended up winning the set by a small margin; both agreed that the matchup was close to even.
    No offence intended but how good is this Birdie player exactly? Does he place well in tournaments? I ask because it seems to me that a professional player and pretty much the best Zangief in the world right now beating this unknown(?) Birdie player by a small margin does not exactly say very positive things about the match-up.

I still can't help but look at Birdie and see a character far superior to Zangief nearly all areas. Footies, anti-airs, EX moves, wake-up, armoured moves, range, the list goes on.

I realized that I know how to fight typical hit and run Nash but don't know how to fight pure fireball/AA Nash. I can barely touch Nash if he doesn't want to be touched. Block is not effective if he keep firing fireball. You can barely move forward if you just walk/headbutt/flex and Nash can kick you back randomly between fireballs, it's too fast to react. If you jump, AA is waiting.

Hit and run Nash comes to you frequently so Gief has a lot more chances to hit him.
    To me this is exactly why this match-up is so terrible. Nash is basically the best projectile zoner in SFV and he can just rip Gief apart piece by piece. As I mentioned a few posts ago I have found no answer to Nash at all. It might be slightly easier offline than online because of Nash's weakness on wake-up but even accepting that I think Nash just destroys Gief if he plays it smart.

To me this is exactly why this match-up is so terrible. Nash is basically the best projectile zoner in SFV and he can just rip Gief apart piece by piece. As I mentioned a few posts ago I have found no answer to Nash at all. It might be slightly easier offline than online because of Nash's weakness on wake-up but even accepting that I think Nash just destroys Gief if he plays it smart.

not really a matchup things a straight up massacre i see snakeeyez doing a lot of v skill...is there another playstyle that'll work without that much of a gamble

No offence intended but how good is this Birdie player exactly? Does he place well in tournaments? I ask because it seems to me that a professional player and pretty much the best Zangief in the world right now beating this unknown(?) Birdie player by a small margin does not exactly say very positive things about the match-up.

I still can't help but look at Birdie and see a character far superior to Zangief nearly all areas. Footies, anti-airs, EX moves, wake-up, armoured moves, range, the list goes on.

All good, it's a fair question. The player is UA Jan and he got top 32 (or maybe 34th?) at FR. He's also one of the top Marvel players, was the best Potemkin in the U.S. and was one of the few people that beat Justin back in Vanilla SF4 (with Gief). So he's definitely not a scrub even if he isn't exactly one of the best in SFV atm.

And like I said before, you don't have to take my word for it, just try it in Casual/Battle Lounge and see if your results aren't better. It won't kill anyone to try a new strategy, especially if what you're doing now has you feeling like the match is 4-6 or worse.
    edited April 2016

All good, it's a fair question. The player is UA Jan and he got top 32 (or maybe 34th?) at FR. He's also one of the top Marvel players, was the best Potemkin in the U.S. and was one of the few people that beat Justin back in Vanilla SF4 (with Gief). So he's definitely not a scrub even if he isn't exactly one of the best in SFV atm.

And like I said before, you don't have to take my word for it, just try it in Casual/Battle Lounge and see if your results aren't better. It won't kill anyone to try a new strategy, especially if what you're doing now has you feeling like the match is 4-6 or worse.
    Oh don't get me wrong. The most successful I've been against Birdies was when I went absolutely bananas (no reference intended). Start of the round, jump in HK. Start of the second round, EX Siberian Express. That kind of stuff. Just trying to bulldoze him.

But I feel like that playstyle won't exactly get me far and I'm just looking for some more reliable, in-depth and stable strategies.
    Watching Snake & Stupendous vs Jayce at WCW.
    My opinion on the Nash vs Gief match-up ratio is veering closer to 7-3 the more high level Nash vs Gief I watch. It's just awful.
    Post edited by Hassun on
  • MisterManMisterMan Joined: Posts: 81
    Just fought my first good FANG. He kept throwing out varied patterns of poison ball. I tried to play patient and sometimes go ham, but damn. I couldn't do crap. Some matchup advice would really help.
  • KerplunkKerplunk Joined: Posts: 46

Here's a Gief / Nash match I had a few days ago.

Yeah, the first round should have ended with HK into vtrigger. And the vtrigger at the end was a meaty, so he was more or less dead at that point.
    MisterMan wrote: »
    Just fought my first good FANG. He kept throwing out varied patterns of poison ball. I tried to play patient and sometimes go ham, but damn. I couldn't do crap. Some matchup advice would really help.

Sotoja is very punishable. The best he can be is -3 (EX). Everything else can be punish with a SPD or cr. HK. Ryobenda can be countered with HK. As for Nishikyu, it's better to use cr. HK because everything else could trade and that benefits Fang. Try to stay close to him and anti air with st. LP (a meaty headbutt is an excellent option since his only good reversal is his CA) or lariat. After every knockdown, do a dash. His cr. HK and j. HK do two hits, so be aware of that if you want to use armor.

If he manages to create some distance, use the vskill and a careful placed dash. And after his "teleport", most Fangs go with normal throw. Also, wake up lariat is not a bad idea.
    edited April 2016
    As mentioned before. I am definitely in the camp of players saying that this match is hard for Gief. The blockstring pressure is real.

Personally when I play FANG I go pretty hard. Kind of like how Gief would play against Dhalsim in USFIV (the Hagejin vs FChamp money match being a good example).
    My points of attention are Iron Muscling the poison balls at medium/long range and trying to bait out FANG's Sotoja and sweep when he tries to blow up your armour.
    FANG also easily blows up Zangief's charged HP and regular armoured moves in general so try not to use them often.
    When he goes for his rolling kicks block strings I often try to interrupt it with V-reversal. I just don't want to deal with the pressure.
    The other thing I practice against FANG is working hard on punishing his corner escape slide thing since it's not throw invincible. You REALLY don't want him to get away from you in the corner. Lariat might work as well if he tries to do something.

The ryobenda is a massive problem for Gief and one of the main reasons you should be in his face at all times. I often try to frustrate him and trying to make him use it at close range. This results in a free SPD or HK. His poison balls as well by the way. Never allow him to use any of those moves at close range. You can just grab or kick him him right through like with Laura's projectile.
    Sadly the hop back he does for the EX version is much harder to punish.

V-Trigger is good against FANG and his use of the poison balls to keep you out should provide you with plenty of V-metre both for reversals and the trigger so I doubt that will be an issue.

The other main issues I feel are his standing double slap move which is insanely good and his instant overhead. Haven't really found the best ways to deal with those yet.
    Post edited by Hassun on
    This FANG was making me wary of doing Iron Muscle on Poison Balls. He would let me build up white life and add on to it with his pressure and poison balls. So Iron Muscling his projectile isn't always a good answer.

I can't remember, but I don't think you can Lariat through his poison balls.
    This FANG was making me wary of doing Iron Muscle on Poison Balls. He would let me build up white life and add on to it with his pressure and poison balls. So Iron Muscling his projectile isn't always a good answer.

Can you upload the fight?
    Don't have the PS4 atm. What's funny though is that I beat him two sets FT3 and never lost a match. 3rd and 4th sets he beat me by relying more on poison balls, gas clouds, and multi hitting normals. Almost like if another player took over, or he just adapted possibly. I couldn't figure this dude out.
  • Iso ArskaIso Arska Joined: Posts: 14
    After taking a break from SFV, im back. I have played a lot against Ryu and Vega this week. Now i feel competent enough that i can actually do a write-up from those MUs. Just need some more time to gather my notes.
    edited April 2016
    Everyone else is stronger than Zangief in SFV
    -- Snake Eyez.

https://twitch.tv/gaminglive_tv1/v/61804038?t=1h40m5s

Hearing that from a staunch Gief defender like Snake hurts more than I care to admit.

Post edited by Hassun on
  • CarterCarter Joined: Posts: 242
    You forgot the most important part, he will be maining alex now. Zangief is gonna be his secondary char.
  • MesenkomahaMesenkomaha Joined: Posts: 580
    Yuck. If Alex is better than Gief it sure isn't by much. I'd imagine his history and expertise with the character would put him above Alex anyway. Damn shame.

I think poison balls are one of the best projectiles to v-skill actually. Because they don't do a lot of damage by themselves and you don't get poisoned. Lariat works but it's tricky since they are falling down and FANG has A LOT of far low attacks.
    You can't bee too scared to armour against FANG though, a lot of his pesky long range double jabs are great candidates to Iron Muscle into LP SPD.

It's definitely a hard match-up and FANG definitely wins it but remember he is very squishy so getting in on him is more important than against most. Getting that knockdown/corner carry is essential because jumping in on FANG is insanely hard. His anti-air options are just too good. Your best chances are blocking/muscling his big pokes and taking him for a ride.

Carter wrote: »
    You forgot the most important part, he will be maining alex now. Zangief is gonna be his secondary char.
    ;_;
  • BananaCycloneBananaCyclone Joined: Posts: 49
    edited April 2016
    Shall we have different match-up threads for each character? We can list the typical punish, strategy, gimmick of that character in the main post. Right now I feel this sub has a lot of information but they are kinda cluttered in a few threads.

Here is my question: How do you fight a defensive Alex? His cr.mp seems beats a lot of my buttons and his other buttons are not bad. He just play defensive and mainly crouch. We know Zangief has some problem dealing with croucher. His AA is good. I feel that I don't have many tools to get in, which make his AA easy. On the other hand, if he wants to attack me, he got a lot of tools, which makes me have to watch many things and naturally makes me respond them slower. I was dash threw a few times and was not able to react it.
    Post edited by BananaCyclone on
  • JoshkazJoshkaz Princess Luna is my Waifu Joined: Posts: 15,342
    Yuck. If Alex is better than Gief it sure isn't by much. I'd imagine his history and expertise with the character would put him above Alex anyway. Damn shame.

I don't even think Alex is better than Gief.
    I think Alex is identical to Gief matchup wise. Only difference is Alex can do huge damage on the chance he does get a big counter hit in.
    "You embarrass me," said Shadow, smiling. Then Shadow took his penis out and picked Cream up. "Let me charge up for a super ejaculation!" Shadow laid Cream down on the ground and then took his penis with him, which was already huge and shaking with sex energy, and found Cream's Piggy Bank, which was full of coins and dollars and things to save up for money, so she could buy what she wanted when she had enough inside it. Shadow took it and using his muscular penis, smashed a hole right through the piggy bank so now it was sitting on top of his penis like a hat. Shadow's penis looked like it belonged in a fashion show.
  • scratchbackscratchback Joined: Posts: 1,043
    Alex has way more tools than Gief does, that's obvious. I think he's gonna end up being pretty weak in general too cause he has some of the same weaknesses Gief has but overall he's a better character imo but that's not saying much. I also think he wins the mu too.
  • view619view619 ざわ ざわ ざわ Joined: Posts: 1,796
    Not sure why he would switch from Zangief to Alex. May as well pick-up R.Mika and call it a day.
    "You can lead a scrub to techniques, but you can't make him think."
    Shall we have different match-up threads for each character? We can list the typical punish, strategy, gimmick of that character in the main post. Right now I feel this sub has a lot of information but they are kinda cluttered in a few threads.

Here is my question: How do you fight a defensive Alex? His cr.mp seems beats a lot of my buttons and his other buttons are not bad. He just play defensive and mainly crouch. We know Zangief has some problem dealing with croucher. His AA is good. I feel that I don't have many tools to get in, which make his AA easy. On the other hand, if he wants to attack me, he got a lot of tools, which makes me have to watch many things and naturally makes me respond them slower. I was dash threw a few times and was not able to react it.
    I'd love to have threads per character. I love that on testyourmight as well.
    edited April 2016

this is what youre looking for
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/208035/lets-list-all-of-zangiefs-spd-and-ca-punishes-updated-continuously#latest

• BELLSPROUT?!BELLSPROUT?! Joined: Posts: 8
    There's more to a matchup than knowing what can be punished by spd/ca.

I mentioned before that it would be nice to have threads for each character since a lot of other character forums have them and this thread will eventually be quite annoying to go through if you're just looking for information on one matchup.

this is what youre looking for
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/208035/lets-list-all-of-zangiefs-spd-and-ca-punishes-updated-continuously#latest
    Not exactly but I do have that thread bookmarked.