Dhalsim Combo / Tech Thread

ShawnMcCoolShawnMcCool Punch JusticeJoined: Posts: 1,535 mod
edited March 2016 in Dhalsim
List combos and your favorite new tech here.
Post edited by ShawnMcCool on
Fret not over victory nor defeat, but be as serene as the water.

Comments

• jchensorjchensor Salty Chen Joined: Posts: 1,934 admin
    edited February 2016
    Have a crazy set-up to share? A new mix-up that you want others to test out? Share all your best tech as well!
    Post edited by jchensor on
    http://jchensor.blogspot.com

"We don't stop playing because we get old. We get old because we stop playing." -- Doyle Brunson

"Every time you win, it diminishes the fear a little bit. You never really cancel the fear of losing; you keep challenging it." -- Arthur Ashe

(AV art obtained from here: http://meatbun.us/blog/?p=162)
  • JohnnyWormsJohnnyWorms Joined: Posts: 15
    I see a lot of views on this thread and no posts. Here are some simple combos to get things started:

EX Yoga Flame is where I'm spending my meter.

decent punishing combos:
    LP,LPxxEx Yoga Flame (4/5 frame start up)
    Back+MKxxEX Yoga Flame (6f)
    cr.HP,B+MKxxEX Yoga Flame (8f)

What I'm using out of v-skill and close air teleports:
    j.HK,B+MKxxEX YF
    j.HP,B+MKxxEX YF

j.HK,B+MKxxCritical Art

• ShawnMcCoolShawnMcCool Punch Justice Joined: Posts: 1,535 mod
    j.HK,B+MKxxCritical Art

Why not J.HK, B.MK, MP Yoga Flame, Critical Art?
  • JohnnyWormsJohnnyWorms Joined: Posts: 15
    j.HK,B+MKxxCritical Art

Why not J.HK, B.MK, MP Yoga Flame, Critical Art?

That's sounds easier and even better. I'll have to try that when I get a chance.

These are just my day 1 combos to get things started.

Yea, I noticed it worked because it's the old standard from SF4. =)
  • nickdeklinenickdekline Trajan Joined: Posts: 318
    edited February 2016
    bnbs (all Yoga Flames can be replaced with EX)
    cr HP b+MK mp Yoga Flame (must be close)
    sometime b+mk can wiff if you are too far, same with mp Yoga Flame so dependant on spacing you can
    cr HP MP yoga flame or cr HP yoga Flame b+MK LP Yoga Flame.

In the corner:
    cr HP b+MK EX Yoga Flame EX Air Yoga Flame

For fun?
    crHP ex Yoga Fire Lp EX Yoga Flame EX air Yoga Flame (not worth the meter though)

Counterhit crlp b+mk MP Yoga FLame

Anti Air's
    Not sure if this is the best idea against invincible reversals but back mp to AA in to MP Yoga flame cause them to have to block on landing giving you a bit of chip. Also Spacing dependent.
  • Noble CactusNoble Cactus 56k Days Joined: Posts: 8,476
    You can combo out of EX Flame with a TK Gale for added damage. It's quite difficult to pull off consistently, though.

st.HK crush counter combos into st.HP. Don't think you can combo into anything else, though.

I haven't figured out what you can combo out of crush counter b.HP. I'll experiment when I get the time later.
  • nickdeklinenickdekline Trajan Joined: Posts: 318
    You can combo out of EX Flame with a TK Gale for added damage. It's quite difficult to pull off consistently, though.

st.HK crush counter combos into st.HP. Don't think you can combo into anything else, though.

I haven't figured out what you can combo out of crush counter b.HP. I'll experiment when I get the time later.
    You can land hk slides on crushcounters, was also able to hit HK CC HK

• Mikey996Mikey996 Joined: Posts: 9
    CH c.hp, c.hp xx Yoga flame works. Might be a better DP punish than trying to crush counter
  • Janitor NedJanitor Ned Joined: Posts: 139
    I can't seem to TK EX Yoga Gale. The input data says I'm doing it right, but I only get regular Gale. What's going on?
    edited March 2016
    This is what I have compiled from the board at this moment.

Abbreviations
    YF = Yoga Flame
    YFR = Yoga Fire
    CA = Critical Art
    VT = V-Trigger

Close / Panic Combos
    LP -> LP -> LK Slide xx VT

133 dmg, 279 stun

Punish Combos
    LP, LP xx EX YF

153 dmg, 293 stun
    b.MK xx MP YF

132 dmg, 235 stun
    cr.HP xx MP YF

162 dmg, 285 stun
    cr.HP, b.MK xx MP YF

208 dmg, 360 stun, must be close

Out of V-Skill / Close Air Teleports
    j.HK, b.MK xx MP YF

208 dmg, 360 stun
    j.HK, cr.HP xx MP YF

235 dmg, 405 stun
    j.HP, b.MK xx MP YF

200 dmg, 320 stun
    j.HP, cr.HP xx MP YF

235, 405 stun

Critical Art
    j.HK, cr.HP xx MP YF xx CA

459 dmg, 405 stun

In the Corner
    cr.HP, b.MK xx EX YF, EX Air YF

Counterhit Combos
    cr.LP, b.MK, MP YF

cr.HP, cr.HP xx MP YF

Dizzy Punish
    VS, j.HK -> cr.HP -> b.MK xx MP YF

Post edited by ShawnMcCool on
  • MelubasMelubas Joined: Posts: 271
    Not sure if this is known and it is as far as I know completely useless, but Sim has a backwards kara throw with b.hp. Seems to travel pretty far too.
    Playing Vega, Gen and T. Hawk.
  • Em-ManEm-Man Joined: Posts: 67
    edited February 2016
    I can't seem to TK EX Yoga Gale. The input data says I'm doing it right, but I only get regular Gale. What's going on?
    I've noticed you can't do EX yoga gales if you're close to the ground, like after instant air teleports for instance.
    I can't even do normal gales after perfect instant air teleports sometimes because I keep landing during the startup frames, really tight.
    Post edited by Em-Man on
  • SWEETMONKEYLOVESWEETMONKEYLOVE Joined: Posts: 13

I have to input up then hcb+pp for the EX Yoga Gale to come out the fastest in my experience.
    twitch.tv/sweetmonkeylovetv
  • koufdellkoufdell Joined: Posts: 350
    edited February 2016
    ok here's what i know
    lp>lp>2LK>VT
    corner
    IAT hp >2HP>ex yoga fire >2LK > VT
    midscreen
    dizzy punish combo VS > jHK > 2HP> 4MK> mp YFL
    if you teleport behind them and they are in the corner you can do IAT jHP >2HP > 4MK > mp YFL
    counter hit
    2HP > 4MK > CA > HK
  • muchachokachomuchachokacho Joined: Posts: 26
    edited February 2016
    In the corner:
    Jump In HK/HP, cr.HP, b.MK~Medium Flame/EX Flame

275 dmg with regular flame, 303 with EX flame
    b.HP~Fierce Flame, cr.HP

Have to be as close as possible for b.HP to hit. So far haven't found something that can link after cr.HP. Anyone?
    Post edited by muchachokacho on
    Games: MKX (Kitana, Shinnok, Reptile), SFV (Sim, Karin), SFIV (Sim, Bison), Tekken 5 (Julia, Anna, Paul)

• Kelter SkelterKelter Skelter the kelly skelly Joined: Posts: 2,844
    your frames are all off. bMK isnt 4 frames and how is down fierce 6 frames in 1 combo and 8 in another.
    GRFGC.com - FGC in Grand Rapids, MI
    edited February 2016

People kept getting hit with IAT into LP Gale so I thought what can I get meaty wise? Came up with this:
    Quick tech: As soon as the gale hits take a small step forward into medium flame. Back tech: doesn't work. No tech: when medium flame whiffs input light flame.

Quick tech option is possible to get more frames if you input faster this was just the only time I was able to get all 3 in a row with minimal input errors and I was uploading from the PS4.
    your frames are all off. bMK isnt 4 frames and how is down fierce 6 frames in 1 combo and 8 in another.

Yea, good point. I just copy / pasted them. Will keep updating things a bit every day.
  • HyakuretsukyakuHyakuretsukyaku Joined: Posts: 12
    I wish his C.HP was his crush counter. Standing HK doesnt lead to much for me.
    Feel free to check out my YouTube! I upload fighting game and indie game videos frequently!
    Kensou Gaming
    edited February 2016
    I wish his C.HP was his crush counter. Standing HK doesnt lead to much for me.

almost everything links after CC stand RH. i usually just do stand fierce because it works from pretty much every range and does the most damage

• PDukePDuke Joined: Posts: 158
    Fchamp was showing some cool stuff. In the corner he used B FP xx FP yoga flame, d FP. FP yoga flame causes a juggle state.
    Yeah midscreen you can link a stand RH off of bFierce xx fierce flame
  • ExeeterExeeter senior pugilist Joined: Posts: 55

no use ever doing that though. He has stronger meterless punishes that create the same distance and/or allow him to set up safe drills.

bFierce should only ever be used in the corner off of stun or as an AA
  • SWEETMONKEYLOVESWEETMONKEYLOVE Joined: Posts: 13
    Exeeter wrote: »

no use ever doing that though. He has stronger meterless punishes that create the same distance and/or allow him to set up safe drills.

Midscreen? What are the best punishes?

twitch.tv/sweetmonkeylovetv
  • ExeeterExeeter senior pugilist Joined: Posts: 55
    Exeeter wrote: »

Midscreen? What are the best punishes?

midscreen dizzy combo is vskill forward get above them, fall with Roundhouse, cr.Fierce, b.short, yoga flame.
  • dawknessdawkness Brotha Dawkness! Joined: Posts: 21
    anybody have decent combos into v trigger? Say to punish whiffs?
  • nstalkienstalkie Joined: Posts: 53
    edited February 2016
    These are currently my go-to combos to combo into V-trigger

d.LK xx V-trigger (100 dmg, 190 stun)
    d.MK xx V-trigger (130 dmg, 220 stun)
    d.HP, d.MK xx V-trigger (205 dmg, 345 stun)
    CH d.HP, d.HP, d.MK xx V-trigger (289 dmg, 485 stun)
    IAT j.HP, d.HP, d.MK xx V-trigger (271 dmg, 455 stun)

(edit: added d.LK combo, fixed damage / stun values)
    edited February 2016
    dawkness wrote: »
    anybody have decent combos into v trigger? Say to punish whiffs?
    cr.hp, b.mk xx EX yoga flame, d.mk xx V-trigger
    Works at certain ranges on a cornered opponent but It's kinda inconsistent. I need to go to the lab and find a distance setup for it to work 100%
  • LimbRiddimLimbRiddim Joined: Posts: 11
    Lp lk exflame is a bit more damage than the two lps, though the timing is maybe a tiny bit different and I feel like the lk is stubbier, but I might be wrong
  • Marmalade_JonesMarmalade_Jones Joined: Posts: 327
    nstalkie wrote: »
    These are currently my go-to combos to combo into V-trigger

d.LK xx V-trigger (100 dmg, 190 stun)
    d.MK xx V-trigger (130 dmg, 220 stun)
    d.HP, d.MK xx V-trigger (205 dmg, 345 stun)
    CH d.HP, d.HP, d.MK xx V-trigger (289 dmg, 485 stun)
    IAT j.HP, d.HP, d.MK xx V-trigger (271 dmg, 455 stun)

(edit: added d.LK combo, fixed damage / stun values)

D.lk only combos into VT on CH.
    D.lk only combos into VT on CH.

You can get it without counter if you're closer to max distance
  • TeaFighterTeaFighter Joined: Posts: 15

Were you able to perform this outside the corner?
  • NeoBloodNeoBlood kara bank account Joined: Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited February 2016
    In the corner:
    Jump In HK/HP, cr.HP, b.MK~Medium Flame/EX Flame

275 dmg with regular flame, 303 with EX flame
    b.HP~Fierce Flame, cr.HP

Have to be as close as possible for b.HP to hit. So far haven't found something that can link after cr.HP. Anyone?

Don't you have it linking to b.MK in that first combo you've posted? Cr.HP also links to either standing LP or LK, but of course if you do that your only real follow up becomes EX Flame. Also keep in mind that after EX Flame in the corner you can jump and do a quick EX Gale, maybe instant regular Gale as well, but I know for sure EX Gale will work.

I think so far ~365 is the max damage in the corner without using CA, counter hit, or crush counter, and there are actually two ways of getting that number.

b.HP xx HP Flame, EX Flame, EX Gale

j.HP, cr.HP xx EX Flame, EX Gale

I really wish Dhalsim could link something juicy like b.MK after EX Yoga Fire in the corner, but all he can get is a light. So you can get something like this:
    cr.HP xx EX Fire, LP xx EX Flame, EX Gale

Which is silly because you just used all your meter.
    Post edited by NeoBlood on
  • mattninmattnin Joined: Posts: 95
    For the life of me I couldn't get cr.HP to link into a standing MP or b.MK. Am I reading the notation properly? I'm used to MKX and trying something like dHP, bMK and they're not linking.
  • NeoBloodNeoBlood kara bank account Joined: Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    It's not terribly difficult. Just keep trying. The only prerequisite is that you're fairly close to the opponent, so it can't be done after a j.HP into cr.HP because of the pushback.
  • MetroxylonMetroxylon Missing link? Joined: Posts: 2,627
    Not so much tech in terms of setups, but I came across some strange input leniency and overlap today while practicing IAT, since I wasn't a Dhalsim main or user in SF4.

Basically, as I say in the video description, You can't do instant EX gale doing QCB to UF + PP. You'll get regular gale every time. If you do that input with all punches, you'll get teleport. Furthermore, if you want to do EX gale, you have to do UF to QCB + PP.

And though I didn't demonstrate in the video, because plinking technically still exists, if you try to do teleport out of V Skill without using the 3P/3K macro, you'll only get a punch or kick unless you're super precise with your input.
    Are you clutch or crutch?
    Downback saved my life.
    Stand strong, do or die.

https://youtube.com/user/SaveReplayandQuit/videos
  • muchachokachomuchachokacho Joined: Posts: 26
    mattnin wrote: »
    For the life of me I couldn't get cr.HP to link into a standing MP or b.MK. Am I reading the notation properly? I'm used to MKX and trying something like dHP, bMK and they're not linking.

It's all in the timing. In MKX you chain combos together as fast as you can, but in SF you have to wait a little before you can link cr.HP into b.MK. Experiment with different timings to find the sweet spot. It truly isn't very difficult to do.

Games: MKX (Kitana, Shinnok, Reptile), SFV (Sim, Karin), SFIV (Sim, Bison), Tekken 5 (Julia, Anna, Paul)

Yeah there's like a height restriction on ex gale. Still possible to do it low enough to hit standing, but I don't think it'll hit crouchers.

I also felt like teleporting from v skill was tougher. I'm still not sure, abd chalking it up to maybe how I ramp up my motions leading into IAT. But, you may be right. I seem to get HK or HP more frequently in v skill.
    LimbRiddim wrote: »
    Yeah there's like a height restriction on ex gale. Still possible to do it low enough to hit standing, but I don't think it'll hit crouchers.

I also felt like teleporting from v skill was tougher. I'm still not sure, abd chalking it up to maybe how I ramp up my motions leading into IAT. But, you may be right. I seem to get HK or HP more frequently in v skill.

No it's not a height restriction. you actually have to do EX gale's input differently. And I totally recommend using 3P/3K buttons for teleports solely because of how infrequent you might get it out of V Skill. Not that you really need to do it out of V Skill, but there might be a time or two.
    Downback saved my life.
    Stand strong, do or die.

Metroxylon wrote: »
    No it's not a height restriction. you actually have to do EX gale's input differently.

Okay, so what's the input for an EX gale after an IAT?
    No it's not a height restriction. you actually have to do EX gale's input differently. And I totally recommend using 3P/3K buttons for teleports solely because of how infrequent you might get it out of V Skill. Not that you really need to do it out of V Skill, but there might be a time or two.

It's a height restriction in the sense that you have to be a certain height off the ground on the way up. You can't ex gale the same you can IA gale -- for the ex gale you have to do something like 963214.

There are plenty of situations to tele out of vskill. Gotta always be mixing it up to keep people guessing
    Em-Man wrote: »
    No it's not a height restriction. you actually have to do EX gale's input differently.

Okay, so what's the input for an EX gale after an IAT?

not sure. haven't tested that. I'm guessing you can do QCB+PP right after the teleport though.
    LimbRiddim wrote: »

It's a height restriction in the sense that you have to be a certain height off the ground on the way up. You can't ex gale the same you can IA gale -- for the ex gale you have to do something like 963214.

There are plenty of situations to tele out of vskill. Gotta always be mixing it up to keep people guessing

Ok yeah in that sense you're right. the height restriction seems different. Also the height restriction for gale after IAT is much lower than IAGale.
    Downback saved my life.
    Stand strong, do or die.

• US4US4 Mark D. Aardvark Joined: Posts: 190
    What's the deal with juggles after CA. I'm not too familiar on what's going on. I can do cr.hp, b.mk, YFR xx CA and then juggle with MP YF. I can't get the MP YF juggle if I do cr.hp, b.mk, MP YF xx CA. Not sure if its distance or something else. I haven't tested much I was just wondering what type of juggles do we have after CA.
    TeaFighter wrote: »

Were you able to perform this outside the corner?

My bad, it's TK EX Gale. And it's corner-only.

I'm still having trouble doing it consistently, though. For whatever reason, I just get regular Gale most of the time, even though my input reader clearly shows that I'm pressing two buttons. Anyone have any tips?
    mattnin wrote: »

You have to dial the inputs very slowly. Try waiting until the very last ending frames of cr.HP to do b.MK. It's so slow that almost doesn't even look like it should combo, but it does.
  • MerzhostMerzhost Joined: Posts: 14
    From FChamp:

Forward throw into corner -> Cr.MK ->b+MK -> MP Flame

The Cr.MK hits meaty to quickrising opponents. I haven't had time to take this to the lab, so I don't know if this works in any other situations.

From Arturo:

IAT -> Air HP -> Cr. HP -> MP Flame -> F+V Skill -> D+LK

This hits opponents as soon as they get up, but it doesn't look meaty and I haven't seen Sanchez use it in a match yet.
  • MerzhostMerzhost Joined: Posts: 14
    Oops! In that Arturo tech, it's supposed to be an EX flame.
  • Xr0s-upXr0s-up Go banana! Joined: Posts: 1,131
    is it possible to combo from a c.MK from say max range or something?
    UMvC3: MODOK/Doom/Ammy; Magneto/Arthur/Haggar; Wright/Raccoon/Doom
    Revelator: Johnny

Youtube: Dentalplan
    Xr0s-up wrote: »
    is it possible to combo from a c.MK from say max range or something?

At max range cr mk does combo on hit into b mk (not sure about anything else, but I think you're out of range for anything else that combos into fire).

It's a tight link though and you have to hit on the very last frames. Not sure how many but it's pretty tough to pull off