Dee Jay Thread

Comments

• FuddFudd High Level Parking Joined: Posts: 1,215
    1. Slide is good from far away and sometimes you can predict a fierce if he starts walking toward you. If you're closer to each other, cr. mk is great because unlike cr. mp, Dee Jay twists the upper part of his hitbox away from his legs. The key is to hit Boxer low because his bottom hitbox widens so much.

2. Zangief has an advantage on pretty much everybody when he scores a knockdown, especially charge characters. There's little you can do, unless you have super and even then, if he knows you're gonna use it, you're just gonna get stuffed by KKK lariat. If he gets to start safe jumping you, you're screwed. Once you get knocked down, you have to suffer tick command throw mind games. You have to be smart about zoning him out otherwise the match ends up in his favor.
    "See, Super Turbo is a real man's game... But Street Fighter 4's like Chuck-E-Cheese, baby. Y'know what I'm saying? Where a kid can be a kid. I'm a grown-ass man, so clearly I'm not old enough to go in the ball pit." -Steve Harrison (Translation: dat Fo' make you soft)
    Super Turbo Revival
    "Everyone has a plan until they get magnetized." -SpiderDan
    PSN: Metonymous | Battle.net: Noun#1214 | Steam: Noun Proper | YT
  • TheMuffinManTheMuffinMan 「満」 「寸」 「越」 Joined: Posts: 506 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    2. I'm free to Zangief if I mess up my spacing even once in the match. I haven't found a way to deal with Zangief's safe jumps, and reversaling his tick SPDs seems to do me no good. Is there any chance for Deejay once he gets knocked down or is the whole match determined by me staying on my feet the entire time?

In addition to what Fudd mentioned, you can do reversal MGU (3 or 4-hit) to force a block on Zangief's safe jumps, but this can be beaten if he does safe jump/lariat option select. Most Zangief players will opt to do higher jump-ins to counter wake-up MGU (due to having mid invincibility only), but you can stop those with your basic Up Kicks (LK is slower with more invincibility, and HK is fastest with least invincibility). Against meaty attacks you can do reversal HK Dread Kicks as long as he doesn't do a lariat option select. Lastly, you can LK Dread over his SPD setups, but it's punishable on block with Zangief's D. HK. Basically you have to take risks once you get caught by Zangief, so you should try to avoid the situations altogether or work on some elaborate conditioning so you can reversal without much worry.
    "That you float along in the ocean and live a life of peace does not come from your own resourcefulness." - Demon's Sermon on Martial Arts
  • LoganKrawLoganKraw Joined: Posts: 69
    Deejay's machine gun upper explained in video and touch of death combo.
  • PunchingpowaPunchingpowa Joined: Posts: 68
  • monstalobstamonstalobsta Joined: Posts: 29

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS!!!:)
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel Burn to cinders! Joined: Posts: 498
    Quick question: one of my favorite combos to do with Dee Jay is cross up forward cr.jab cr.jab st.strong xx dread kicks but sometimes I get reversaled between hits of the dread kicks. Should I just replace dread kicks with max out against certain characters? Which characters can punish me? So far its only been done to me by Ryu and Fei, but I'm guessing Ken could dp me out of it too.

Is this just another random feature of ST?
  • The Furious OneThe Furious One Fluent in 3 languages Engrish, Sarcasm & Profanity Joined: Posts: 20,786
    Quick question: one of my favorite combos to do with Dee Jay is cross up forward cr.jab cr.jab st.strong xx dread kicks but sometimes I get reversaled between hits of the dread kicks. Should I just replace dread kicks with max out against certain characters? Which characters can punish me? So far its only been done to me by Ryu and Fei, but I'm guessing Ken could dp me out of it too.

Is this just another random feature of ST?

That would mean they had blocked the cr. jabs, you have enough time to see the combo is being blocked so just use the light dread, or if they turtle a lot throw them.
  • oldschool_BRoldschool_BR Projectile spammer Joined: Posts: 2,442
    You can do cr.Jab cr.Short, so the short will hit if they block standing. Or you can either throw or use st.Short instead of Strong, then cancel into a max-out. You gotta force them to just crouch and soften the throw.
    I could have sworn it said 5 hit combo when it happened.. I'll have to do some more research...
  • NeverEndingNeverEnding No Rhythm-No Victory Joined: Posts: 95
    I need this new hotness!
    I assume you mean this quote from s-kill's Twitter:

"Word on the street is that there's hot new deejay tech that has rocketed him to top tier in ST after 17 yrs! God I love this game."

I'm not really sure what it is, either. Guess we'll have to get the scoop from team USA after SBO is over. I thought that DJ was considered top tier when ST first came out?
    "See, Super Turbo is a real man's game... But Street Fighter 4's like Chuck-E-Cheese, baby. Y'know what I'm saying? Where a kid can be a kid. I'm a grown-ass man, so clearly I'm not old enough to go in the ball pit." -Steve Harrison (Translation: dat Fo' make you soft)
    Super Turbo Revival
    i saw that tweet too. Can't wait to see what that's about.

In other news... I'm having lots of trouble against Chun... any tips?
    I once asked s-kill about that matchup and he said it's "a two move fight". Max-out and st. strong for jump-ins.

Her upkick isn't so great, so if you get a knockdown, definitely go for the cross up.
    Super Turbo Revival
    Yeah I find that once I can knock her down and apply pressure it usually results in a win.

I just can't handle her walk forward st.strong/throw game.
    Step up your footsie game, then. Dee Jay has good normals, too.

cr. forward and slide beat her st. strong
    cr. strong beats her cr. forward pretty good
    If you think she's going for a throw, counter throw her.
    Super Turbo Revival
  • nomrahnomrah Joined: Posts: 1,043
    Ha, I came in here after that tweet too, guess we'll be kept in the day for a bit longer. Wonder what it could be? If it's rocketing him to top tier, maybe it's some tech to fight ryu/sim?
  • djfrijolesdjfrijoles First ST player to ever moon a live stream baby ! Joined: Posts: 2,054
    If it's hard as fuck to do I'm gonna be all over DeeJay. Got me really interested.
    <garyangel> ceks,cani,robbiers,yito all mexico players dont know where kyouya
    <garyangel> (((((((((((((((
    <djfrijoles> kyouya is with his gf gary
    <Random.Jab.DP.Spamer> his gf is gary ?
  • DNGR S PAPERCUTDNGR S PAPERCUT Joined: Posts: 1,608
    If it's hard as fuck to do I'm gonna be all over DeeJay. Got me really interested.

No doubt.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    Ah shit..    
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • moocusmoocus internets? Joined: Posts: 869
    haha all the execution junkies are gathering up. i don't really play deejay but my fingers are starting to get itchy.
  • djfrijolesdjfrijoles First ST player to ever moon a live stream baby ! Joined: Posts: 2,054
    I asked neoray and he didnt know anything about it.
  • FulaaniFulaani Of terrorist descent Joined: Posts: 2,555
    First thing I thought was just seth not being familiar with recent ST action.

Seki and Ito been doing really well.
    zoning took an indefinite hiatus
  • ultracomboultracombo Weakest Loser Joined: Posts: 741
    how does dee jay beat hadokens and tigers
    "If ultracombo misses a low roundhouse, he is likely to continue doing it." - TheMuffinMan
  • UltraDavidUltraDavid commenta..ttorney?? Joined: Posts: 6,053
    Heh I heard it was just a heavier emphasis on pressing cr fierce. Just, press cr fierce more!
    Your legal insider in entertainment and video games!
    www.dpgatlaw.com
    www.twitter.com/UltraDavid
    www.facebook.com/UltraDavidFB
  • MalvadiscoMalvadisco Marambio Joined: Posts: 2,967
    Heh I heard it was just a heavier emphasis on pressing cr fierce. Just, press cr fierce more!
    really? then my dj was top tier from day one lol
    CARACOLES
    Do you already know his basics, e.g., cross-up Fwd, cr.Jab, cr.Short xx MGU? Does not look easy to me! I've been telling people of his hit-confirms and deadly combos, but people still go for cr.Jab x2 st.Str xx RH Sobat. I think it is a worse version, in many senses: it does not catch throw mashers, it does not guarantee a dizzy, it misses the last hit very often, so it does not guarantee a knockdown.

There was a first to 10 or something between Otochun and Seki or Ito after the last Thunder Beast Cup. The matches can be found somewhere in the stream archive, after the tournament ends. The link is in the comments.

Edit:
    how does dee jay beat hadokens and tigers
    I do not think he does. Well, Short Jacknife and Sobat avoids low Tigers, but that's it, I guess. I don't see a Dee Jay beating any O.Sagat consistently, still. His jump is just too slow for that. Edit2: I suppose it probably comes to playing better, against Ryus. DG stated that he is comfortable playing against Dee Jay. Unless it is Afro Legends' Dee Jay.
    <djfrijoles> neo have you heard anything new about deejay ?
    <NeoRay> no
    <djfrijoles> why is he listed top of charts
    <NeoRay> who is he ?
    <djfrijoles> deejay
    <djfrijoles> in general
    <djfrijoles> er Gian and T.Akiba the list from the Tougeki program.1) Dhalsim, Claw, Boxer, O.Sagat2) Chun-Li, DeeJay, Ryu3) Guile, O.Hawk, Dictator, Honda, Ken, Sagat, Fei-Long4) T.Hawk, Blanka, Cammy, Zangief
    <NeoRay> some deejay players are getting famous
    <djfrijoles> to high for deejay
    <NeoRay> no
    <NeoRay> i think it is collect
    <djfrijoles> but he loses to ryu
    <NeoRay> you would understand if you played
    <djfrijoles> lol I see
    <NeoRay> i dont think so
    <NeoRay> very close i think
    <NeoRay> like 4-6
    <djfrijoles> deejay wins ?
    <NeoRay> but im not deejay player so should ask to famous deejay player
    <NeoRay> ryu win
    <djfrijoles> ok
    <djfrijoles> thanks again
    <NeoRay> Seki DeeJay told alomost 5-5
    <djfrijoles> seki is best deejay ?
    <NeoRay> best deejay in Osaka
  • MalvadiscoMalvadisco Marambio Joined: Posts: 2,967
    thats a lot better than the 2-8 shown in most charts btw
    CARACOLES
  • FulaaniFulaani Of terrorist descent Joined: Posts: 2,555
    last time i spoke to shoji he rated ito as the best dj.
    zoning took an indefinite hiatus
    In my opinion, DeeJay has been A-class for a long time, but not many have seen what he can really do. For one, he has pretty even matchups with a majority of the cast (minus Dhalsim, Ryu, O. Ken, and O. Sagat), and, as previously stated, his specials and normals are pretty damn useful. I imagine Sirlin or other players may not have been used to seeing things such as cross-up J. HK on Gief, beating safe-jumps and cross-ups with MGU, and D. MK/D. HP beating pokes and jump-ins from half or full-screen, but I could be wrong.

DeeJay, as shown by Seki, Ito, and Oh!!J from past and present tournaments, is a dynamic character, so there are many things available to discover with him even though the game has been around for a long time. An example would be doing option-select throw/super from a D.Jab in the corner.

So yea, I think Seki was in line to take SBO this year because he has an awesome track record against all of the well-known top players (especially ARG and Otochun), and his team was well-balanced and strong themselves (I heart ShootingD:nunchuck:). And I doubt that there was a hidden or secret technique that he used to surprise other players. I guess we'll find out when that SBO DVD hits comes out!
    "That you float along in the ocean and live a life of peace does not come from your own resourcefulness." - Demon's Sermon on Martial Arts
  • papasipapasi N Ken is the truth Joined: Posts: 1,568
    In my opinion, DeeJay has been A-class for a long time, but not many have seen what he can really do.

Hmm.... I remember someone told us that he's gonna quit ST. If he doesn't, he has to switch to a cheap character like boxer or something coz deejay isn't gonna cut it...

BTW, some of us witnessed DJFudd got a perfect KO in 6 seconds (game clock, which is faster than rt) at south town arcade.

[edit: TMM: That's not nice. now you are like ultracombo and pasky, hating on chun]
    eltrouble "I doubt that ST will be on the main stream ever again."
    OhNuki: Real men play ST!!
    James Chen: there is something special about playing ST on a cab. It just feels so goooooood.
    Super Turbo Hitbox & safe jump guide http://www.strevival.com/hitbox/
    I never said that second part! :arazz: And it'd be Chun-li if anything because I'd have to be proper cheap. Plus, retirement doesn't mean I'll stop playing the game; I just won't be playing in ST tournaments anymore.

How you doin' pap?
    beating safe-jumps

Wuh??
    Oh!!J
    Haha, I love watching this guy play. He'll walk-up throw you from full screen without a care in the world.

...And then do it again.
    Hmm.... I remember someone told us that he's gonna quit ST. If he doesn't, he has to switch to a cheap character like boxer or something coz deejay isn't gonna cut it...
    Well, what ever the case, I'm glad MuffinMan is at least dropping some knowledge for the younger generations. He was at EVO, too. He noticed that his SBO partner (EvilElvis) got a free entry into the ST tournament (because Cole paid for Choi, who ended up forfeiting, and we needed a spot to fill) and asked me to fill him in any leftover spots.

Good to hear from you, MuffinMan.
    BTW, some of us witnessed DJFudd got a perfect KO in 6 seconds (game clock, which is faster than rt) at south town arcade.

Doing shit like that in an arcade feels different than doing it online. Not really execution-wise, but when you play at home, there isn't a crowd of people cheering for you afterwards. Good times.
    Super Turbo Revival
  • ShariShari Overestimated. Joined: Posts: 2,626
    Wuh??

1_cr.jpg2_cr.jpg

Been telling people to use it against walldives for so long but nobody ever listens.
    Haunts: Is it lag or just impeccable footsies and spacing, I don't know.
    MiloDC: I beat YuuVega -- yes, that YuuVega -- the first time I played Claw seriously in my entire life.
    Wuh??

Also, if you can consistently beat safe-jumps with 4-hit MGU, you get a good Fierce worth of block damage or near-dizzy (+mad damage) if it hits. Reversal LP MGU will connect against perfect safe-jumps while HP MGU will force block on mistimed safe-jumps (if they don't attack or SRK) and trade with some high jump-ins.

Anyway, good to hear from you too! Props for running the EVO tourney and doing your part in the ST scene in general :tup:
    It loses to SRK-installs, so you gotta be careful. It may also lose to some jump-ins that hit lower than usual, but as shotos have none, I can not tell for sure. It would certainly lose to Chun's stomp, but who the fuck would use that, and Chun usually goes for a cross-up, anyway.

Edit: if anyone is interested (I guess no-one is), the CPU uses MGU against safe jumps, occasionally. Therefore, one can train SRK-installs against Dee Jay. But now we have TRUST, which is much better.
  • MariodoodMariodood You Cant Escape..O_o Joined: Posts: 1,458
    Hey, could this be the new DJ Tech?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceRyf8ydpTs&feature=feedu
  • PaskyPasky Ninja with pistol! Joined: Posts: 1,863
    1_cr.jpg2_cr.jpg

Been telling people to use it against walldives for so long but nobody ever listens.

What good is that if claw spaces his dives far away, he's got a huge red rectangle and times it above deejays neck and behind him....it's clean. Also MGU doesn't exactly recovery quickly. You're better off with reversal short upkick.

No, that's just a risky guess....lol

No different than when guile flashkicks a fireball.
    <Pasky> so you can go extra fast by just holding it?
    <bookah> turbo handjob
    <baklakiller> sure if had a penis
    <baklakiller> im a beginner gief
  • GanelonGanelon Joined: Posts: 1,101
    That video of Numa's Dee Jay actually shows a good example of a high level setup and teaches a few lessons:

-Reversal sobat is a nice, safe-on-block, chip-dealing wakeup against safe jumps (unless the opponent uses an invincible move right afterward, most of which will beat sobat)
    -For charge characters, always hold down-back in the middle of other specials
    -c.HK can be used to stuff pokes after close sobat and also extends Dee Jay forward
    -Immediately kara cancel out of c.HK into HK jackknife if the opponent tries a standing projectile

Just about every technique that alabamaman puts on his channel is worth learning. He basically does part of your job of locating noteworthy tricks and leaves you to figure it out and absorb that info.
  • psychostasiapsychostasia precision machinery Joined: Posts: 32
    ...such as cross-up J. HK on Gief

this is pretty awesome and ive been messing with it vs sim too. seems like no matter what i ALWAYS hit the rh in front of them yet i land behind them so mixing it up with his actual crossup forward is quite devastating
    Thanks papasi.
    this is pretty awesome and ive been messing with it vs sim too. seems like no matter what i ALWAYS hit the rh in front of them yet i land behind them so mixing it up with his actual crossup forward is quite devastating
    You can make diagonal Forward kick an ambiguous cross-up by changing the time the button is pressed. The CPU always times it early but still enough to combo an attack as Dee Jay lands. This leads to a "fake" corss-up in the sense that you block moving the stick in the opposite direction from where Dee Jay jumped. If you press just a frame or another later, then it will be a real cross-up.

There is also some weird timing and distance that I absolutely hate. I can not explain how, that you will have to train and discover yourself, but I can explain what happens to shotos. At a certain distance, would the enemy shoto be on his toes, Dee Jay will always land in front of him. He lands on top of the shoto, but the colision boxes work it in a way Dee Jay slides to the front of the shoto he is fighting against. However, there is some specific timing such that, if the shoto is knocked down, from that exact same distance, he may land in front of the shoto, for naturally no cross-ups, but there is a precise timing such that he will slide to the back of the shoto as he is waking up, and it will be a cross-up, and it will be extremely hard to block, cos in pretty much every other situation in the game, that distance would not result in a cross-up aerial attack.

But this is just for curiosity. Do not train this stuff.