Anyone else not buying into the SFV hype??

Comments

• vitalvital Joined: Posts: 320
    Parries are a pretty big "except" though IMO, especially when you talk about adding complexity

I'll stick it out and if I don't come around then...KOF14 soon enough :)
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Ibuki and Juri BUFFZ Joined: Posts: 51,550 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited March 2016
    Shumabot wrote: »
    I think tonight might be the last time I play this game for the next year. I tried to join the FGC with this game, but it's garbage. The people are constantly mean, the game is unfinished and bad, and there are no outlets for me to get better or other ways to play to let off some steam without just closing the game.

If this is what fighting games are like no wonder they're so unpopular.

It's your decision, but there's time to get back in. I'd say you're better off just waiting for the end of March or June for the game to be in a better state.

What do you mean by people are mean? You talking the forums or the game itself? People can't even message you in the game to be mean to begin with. Also, you pretty much can't find a competitive community where people aren't being mean. That's the nature of competition and playing something where the goal is to steal victory from someone else. Dudes will get "mean" about it. I understand you could easily say "well I deal with shitty ass personalities at work, why should I deal with it in a video game?" Well...people don't like getting their wins stolen from them or are just generally prideful in anything competitive.

Just find some people on the forum or on twitch that play the characters you like to play, socialize with them and go from there.

Kunoichi is always in V Trigger

BUFF CITY.  Population IBUKI

SFV: Ibuki (Main Bae), Juri (Buffed Bae), Chun Li (Needs Buffs Bae)

KOF XIV: Nakoruru/Iori/KDash

SFIV: Nobody hate that shit (PROTIP: Everyone on SRK hates SFIV)

3S: Ibuki (main), Alex

If I ever pick up Xrd: Johnny

PSN: PervyJin01

CFN: PervyJin01 (PS4) Twitch: c88deviljin01

• ShumabotShumabot Joined: Posts: 261
    I think tonight might be the last time I play this game for the next year. I tried to join the FGC with this game, but it's garbage. The people are constantly mean, the game is unfinished and bad, and there are no outlets for me to get better or other ways to play to let off some steam without just closing the game.

It's your decision, but there's time to get back in. I'd say you're better off just waiting for the end of March or June for the game to be in a better state.

What do you mean by people are mean? You talking the forums or the game itself? People can't even message you in the game to be mean to begin with. Also, you pretty much can't find a competitive community where people aren't being mean. That's the nature of competition and playing something where the goal is to steal victory from someone else. Dudes will get "mean" about it. I understand you could easily say "well I deal with shitty ass personalities at work, why should I deal with it in a video game?" Well...people don't like getting their wins stolen from them or are just generally prideful in anything competitive.

Just find some people on the forum or on twitch that play the characters you like to play, socialize with them and go from there.

I've been diamond ranked in Star Craft and mid gold in League. Both of those are competitive games with large competitive communities. This community feels different, it seems very hostile to 'casuals', which is just a shortcode for 'new people'. You don't see that in league and especially not in starcraft. The hatred of new players or anything that might make the experience of new players better seems unique to fighting games.

You're right in that my experience may be better in a few months, but it might also be much, much worse since by then all the new players will be bleached out and I'll just be fighting the hardcore audience that will just kick me out of the genre entirely.
    edited March 2016

I've been diamond ranked in Star Craft and mid gold in League. Both of those are competitive games with large competitive communities. This community feels different, it seems very hostile to 'casuals', which is just a shortcode for 'new people'. You don't see that in league and especially not in starcraft. The hatred of new players or anything that might make the experience of new players better seems unique to fighting games.

You're right in that my experience may be better in a few months, but it might also be much, much worse since by then all the new players will be bleached out and I'll just be fighting the hardcore audience that will just kick me out of the genre entirely.

From what I've personally heard those communities can be just as brash. From what I've heard it's hard to join random teams of League as if you do something they don't like on the team or screw things up for them they will blast you on the chat until you leave or they kick you. I've heard a lot stories about how you should pretty much always play on a team of people you know if you don't want to get blasted at the end of a game. You'll probably get away with piggy backing on some random teams, but I'm sure you'll eventually find a team that will just kick you out quickly if you're not doing what they want. It's pretty similar with fighting games. Find some people to get to know on a more personal level online that play your characters, spar with them and get better.

All of the fighting game veterans and top players were scrubs/nubs at one time. I was just some Ibuki scrub that mashed buttons and didn't block when I started out in 3rd Strike. Went 0 to 2 at my first Evo then started winning local tournaments and such. It all takes time and finding the right people to connect with. Any fighting game will always have an ample set of noobs and intermediates to play with. It's never just pros in any online game.

edited March 2016
    From what I've personally heard those communities can be just as brash. From what I've heard it's hard to join random teams of League as if you do something they don't like on the team or screw things up for them they will blast you on the chat until you leave or they kick you. I've heard a lot stories about how you should pretty much always play on a team of people you know if you don't want to get blasted at the end of a game. You'll probably get away with piggy backing on some random teams, but I'm sure you'll eventually find a team that will just kick you out quickly if you're not doing what they want. It's pretty similar with fighting games. Find some people to get to know on a more personal level online that play your characters, spar with them and get better.
    As someone who has logged thousands of hours into that game that's not really true. In the first place you can't be kicked off a team and while people are often pretty mean in chat it takes a while to get there and you can always defend yourself. That's better than just dying thousands of times in total silence with a surrounding community of people who make it their mission to make your experience joining the games audience as bad as possible. I've seen so many people say that you teach new players by just perfecting them over and over again so they can get a feel for what fighting games are 'like' and that's just miserable. There's a reason people don't play these games. I've never experienced a multiplayer game as frustrating and isolating as this one. The ONLY reason I'm still here at all is out of some weird ideal that I picked up about street fighter being the more pure form of fighting game. I'm definitely not here because the 30 hours I've spent on steam have been enjoyable.

All of the fighting game veterans and top players were scrubs/nubs at one time. I was just some Ibuki scrub that mashed buttons and didn't block when I started out in 3rd Strike. Went 0 to 2 at my first Evo then started winning local tournaments and such. It all takes time and finding the right people to connect with. Any fighting game will always have an ample set of noobs and intermediates to play with. It's never just pros in any online game.
    I just want to be able to talk to my opponent or rematch like I can do in seemingly every single other fighting game released in the last 8 years, including SFIV. How can I have an experience that isn't AWFUL just losing thousands of times against people I will never see again?
  • YagamiFireYagamiFire Official Urien of the Story Thread Joined: Posts: 2,574
    Sadly, SFV's online component is AWFUL for new players.
    "The governance of the ignorant has no bearing on me! I am reason itself!"

"Believe in me, not your gods, for I have transcended them all!"

Visit us at the Street Fighter story thread! Click here!
    Well that's the thing you're already at the water, but since you're a horse you won't drink it.

You have plenty of people here you can talk to and connect with to play games with until they add chat and other functions to CFN. Which characters do you like playing? Go introduce yourself in some of the character threads, get people's CFN's and start going in.

edited March 2016
    Well that's the thing you're already at the water, but since you're a horse you won't drink it.

You have plenty of people here you can talk to and connect with to play games with until they add chat and other functions to CFN. Which characters do you like playing? Go introduce yourself in some of the character threads, get people's CFN's and start going in.

Oh, you mean I can connect with people, lose to them repeatedly, then not be able to talk to them?

WOAH! I hadn't thought of that! That would change my experience entirely! I'm so glad it's MY FAULT for not drinking that water. Thanks for enlightening me.
  • oodkoodk Joined: Posts: 293
    The Hype got me!
    Purchase SF5, then went on to purchase a PS4, then purchase a Hori VLX Kuro and then spend 35 dollars on Sanwa buttons and a ball top.
    edited March 2016

Oh, you mean I can connect with people, lose to them repeatedly, then not be able to talk to them?

WOAH! I hadn't thought of that! That would change my experience entirely! I'm so glad it's MY FAULT for not drinking that water. Thanks for enlightening me.

Listen prettttttyyyy carefully.

Some guy I've never even heard of by the name of @TINYANGRYCRAB who I am a bit better than but was still competitive, had the insight to ask for my Skype name (AND I HAVEN'T USED SKYPE IN 6 MONTHS) and we talked on the phone through skype while playing our matches. This guy is probably only slightly less new to competitive fighting games than you are and had this insight. He asked ME to give HIM tips on his play while we were playing and that's what I did. It wasn't just "oh I'm going to sit here and let him beat me up and not learn anything". He as the learning player was the one who initiated the engagement.

Now with that aside, I'm just trying to tell you that there is a lot of resource and ways for you to get good. Yes, the game should have more of it in at launch, but it's no excuse to just act like you are in some void with no tools. Ask people, put some things together and get started. I'll even PM you after this just to get you more acquainted if you choose to respond.

• sdstigsdstig Joined: Posts: 17
    edited March 2016

You don't actually have to answer this (in fact, please don't), but where do you live? There's a good chance there's some sort of local competitive scene somewhere around you where you can face people in person. It might just be a matter of looking it up. You might still lose a lot, but most people in the FGC are more than willing to help you as long as you ask. Don't let the online community sour your experience. A lot of those people aren't really a part of the FGC. Just online trolls who are ok at fighting games. People online are a million times worse than the real life people. It can be hard to distinguish between them though.

If you live in some more obscure area, there might not be a local scene, but you can always try finding someone online that seems trustworthy. Talk to them over Skype or some other form of online communicating. I know that's a bit sketchier but if there really is no one in your area who can play with you, it's not a bad option.

There's A LOT more resources for getting better at fighting games than you might think. Sometimes it's not even about playing. I personally have gotten a lot better just by watching instructive videos or seeing what top players do and finding out why they do it. I'm still not good, but it's helped me improve a lot from where I was not too long ago. That way of getting better may not be for everyone, especially if you're newer, but it's an option.
    Jack of all trades, competent at none.

SFV: Bison, Cammy, Alex
    SF4: Chun, Sakura, Ryu
    MKX: Cassie, Scorpion, Sektor
    Smash 4: Corrin, Captain Falcon, Lucina
    Xrd: Sol, Potemkin (don't even own the game though)

Also like to play old games. I suck at them.

Sorry you have had a bad experience dude

I played them off and on for a few years then really picked them up in 2011 when I met some IRL buddies who were way into it, especially KOF games and SF4

I encourage you to try and figure out if there is anyone offline you can play, or perhaps start at the same time as a friend, that was the best for me as we were able to get better together
    I think a lot of the hostility you are getting is consistent with what you get in all online games, at least consistent with my experience in high ranked DOTA over the years as well

The FGC really shines in offline interactions, online gaming is really dehumanizing and you just assume the worst about your opponent naturally, really try to give it a shot offline and see if that doesn't work better for you
    vital wrote: »
    Sorry you have had a bad experience dude

I played them off and on for a few years then really picked them up in 2011 when I met some IRL buddies who were way into it, especially KOF games and SF4

I encourage you to try and figure out if there is anyone offline you can play, or perhaps start at the same time as a friend, that was the best for me as we were able to get better together

Big emphasis on this. Playing with friends offline is always WAY better than even the best online games, even if those are also with friends. It also helps you get less frustrated when playing people in person because you don't want to embarrass yourself by visibly getting angry, even if you don't know those people. But finding people you know to play with is definitely the way to go to start off.

That's really the roots of the FGC too. I wasn't around for it but all the OGs got their starts by playing against people in arcades. Maybe good console ports too but there was still no online. If you wanted to play someone across the country, you had to GO across the country. And over time, you'd become friends or at least friendly rivals with the people you'd play often and make new friends along the way. At least that's my understanding.

• Da StunnaDa Stunna A True Paradox Joined: Posts: 898
    Cestus wrote: »
    SFV hype?

The game is awesome and the average internet dbag talk about it like if is inferior to fucking mortal kombat, LOL
    MKX gives frame data for free, has online lobbies with more than two people, and doesn't have pixelated character models though.

There's probably some more things I'm forgetting, or simply don't know, but at least with that game you feel like you didn't get a rushed project.

T7FR - Steve, Law, Dragonuv
    SFV - Balrog, Guile, Ibuki
    KOF14 - King/Benimaru/Leona
    GGxrdR - Chipp
    MKXL - Cassie

• d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 34,752 mod

Use the forums. There's alot more communication going on in the community's forums than in the game itself.

It's all just basically a continuation of how the community grew out during the turn of the millennium and majorityall of the community stuff was built by the grassroots. It's why almost every the major fighting game communities tend to congregate around their own community created forums (Shoryuken, Dustloop, Tekken Zaibatsu, FreeStepDodge, 8WayRun, Test Your Might, etc.), instead of the official ones (and also why majority of big tournaments are also grassroots run ones).

As for in game chat, it's probably a Nintendo-esque decision on their part to shield some players from the trash talk that the FGC is known for. I mean, I'm pretty sure they don't want any Justin Wong's welcoming kids to "the real world" and that they "gonna learn today".

The thing to remember is that, the difference between MOBA communities and the the developers have less control over the latter. The grassroots heavy nature of the latter (and the fact that the people in charge - many from the community - don't want to let go of that) means that Capcom can't do as much in terms of policing. They can't really ban anyone from competing since they don't run the tournaments (except the final Capcom Cup), and they don't really seem to want to, at least not for trash talking, especially since there are a few people on top who do want to position fighting games as the "UFC or Boxing of eSports" (this was one of the big bullet points in the IPL deal with SFIV, before the latter folded) and are fine with the trash talk (over the squeaky clean, "professional" image that MOBA seem to want).
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

Everyone (should) be mindful that if there isn't a new generation after my generation, the FGC (fighting game community) will basically become extinct, so it's important to think about the future.
    -Daigo Umehara

• HighlandfireballHighlandfireball Are you ready for a war? Joined: Posts: 7,711

Wait for battle lounge before you give it up. This game isn't the best example of how online fighters should flow. In fact it's probably the worst at the minute.

You're playing a $60 beta , trust me. The patch should rectify these things, if it doesn't I doubt you'll be the only one throwing this in the bin.
    I loved that video when it came out. I'd much rather have that kind of interaction than one where I just get super lonely playing during an evening while talking to literally no one. The trash talk is at least communication.
  • Digital-Digital- TRVP LORD Joined: Posts: 2,216
    the game looks like it has potential, but honestly, I just dont like any of the characters... I'm just playing casually till they add my fav characters (if they ever do that is...).
    I got a job with the mob making G's, doing some pick-ups, deliveries and transporting keys.
  • AudricVsFoodAudricVsFood Joined: Posts: 293
    This game is simple. I liked 4 bc I could play footsies and outlame the other player. Same thing with Third Strike. In this game, you have to play rushdown, you get way too much mileage off of oki to not play that way.

And one thing I've noticed about this game is that it's a lot more centered around oki and a lot less centered around footsies than people pretend it is. Just bc you're spending less time on the ground doesn't mean there's more footsies being played.

I do enjoy this game, though. I don't think it's as good as 4, and 4 isn't "overloaded" with mechanics as someone said earlier. There's nothing wrong with having defensive options. 5 has much better balance, but with the small roster, I can't see how that would be difficult for a design team. I like that every character is exaggerated in how different they are from each other. I mean, shoto clones are fun to play in 4, but I like the current character diversity in 5. As much as I dislike not having defensive options in 5, I can't really imagine any character being able to abuse this game's mechanics the way Rose could abuse focus and backdash invincibility in 4, so that's good.

At the end of the day, the name of the game will always be "Adapt or Die". Adapt to the game, or don't. Keep playing 4 if you want. I will. Keep playing 3S if you want. I will. SF5 is a simple game to me, but I'm not the best in my scene. So I'll keep playing 5, too.

Also, I have no idea why people are complaining about backroll. Just walk the opponent into the corner if they keep backrolling. It's not that hard. They can only backroll and avoid the guessing on wakeup so many times before they hit the corner. And then the matchup becomes 7-3 in your favor. It won't make the game a "snorefest". Just don't play like an idiot.
    And most importantly, I am free in all the ways you are not.
  • oodkoodk Joined: Posts: 293
    Digital- wrote: »
    the game looks like it has potential, but honestly, I just dont like any of the characters... I'm just playing casually till they add my fav characters (if they ever do that is...).

Who your favorite character?
    Okay full disclosure...since I party-up with friends a lot to chat with them I literally hadn't even realized there was no in-game chat with opponents.

That is goddamn pathetic.

Good lord, Capcom, other than raw gameplay did you do ANYTHING correct in this game? Empirical evidence suggests: no. No they did not do a single thing presentation or support-wise correctly.

People need to be straight-up fired over this. This is incompetence of a level that is totally baffling and that just leaves me repeatedly asking "How?! How could a legitimate company release a product like this unless they wanted to look bad?"

• TINYANGRYCRABTINYANGRYCRAB Joined: Posts: 410

Listen prettttttyyyy carefully.

Some guy I've never even heard of by the name of TINYANGRYCRAB who I am a bit better than but was still competitive, had the insight to ask for my Skype name (AND I HAVEN'T USED SKYPE IN 6 MONTHS) and we talked on the phone through skype while playing our matches. This guy is probably only slightly less new to competitive fighting games than you are and had this insight. He asked ME to give HIM tips on his play while we were playing and that's what I did. It wasn't just "oh I'm going to sit here and let him beat me up and not learn anything". He as the learning player was the one who initiated the engagement.

Now with that aside, I'm just trying to tell you that there is a lot of resource and ways for you to get good. Yes, the game should have more of it in at launch, but it's no excuse to just act like you are in some void with no tools. Ask people, put some things together and get started. I'll even PM you after this just to get you more acquainted if you choose to respond.

This was way more fun than just playing randoms on ranked, also! After a while it's just like hanging out with somebody while doing an activity, it's fun and you don't have to wait 90seconds between matches
  • IRV316IRV316 "Lets go!" Joined: Posts: 106
    YagamiFire wrote: »
    Okay full disclosure...since I party-up with friends a lot to chat with them I literally hadn't even realized there was no in-game chat with opponents.

That is goddamn pathetic.

Good lord, Capcom, other than raw gameplay did you do ANYTHING correct in this game? Empirical evidence suggests: no. No they did not do a single thing presentation or support-wise correctly.

People need to be straight-up fired over this. This is incompetence of a level that is totally baffling and that just leaves me repeatedly asking "How?! How could a legitimate company release a product like this unless they wanted to look bad?"

It seems at the moment the only good about SFV is the RAW gameplay.
    PSN: TheCreator316
    RAW is WAR

edited March 2016
    Digital- wrote: »

Just play offline with friends. People online are just a bunch of your mother e-thugs. Like 90% of them, and I'm not even trying to exaggerate. And if you're serious about joining the FGC, just make it out to a major with some friends. You don't even have to play. Everyone's much nicer in person. Even the top players with the douchey outward personas, like F Champ and Chris G.

Or if you can find a good weekly to make it out to, that's even better. Because then you'd be able to make it more frequently. The regularity will make it so that you can make some cool friends who might actually know a few things about the game.

I'm lucky because San Diego has a strong scene, in Street Fighter, and in fighting games in general, really. We get two weekly tournaments, a bi-weekly up North a bit in Temecula, and then there are a bunch of DL meetups.
    Btw, idk why my previous post was formatted so that my response was in the quote box.
    This game is simple. I liked 4 bc I could play footsies and outlame the other player. Same thing with Third Strike. In this game, you have to play rushdown, you get way too much mileage off of oki to not play that way.

And one thing I've noticed about this game is that it's a lot more centered around oki and a lot less centered around footsies than people pretend it is. Just bc you're spending less time on the ground doesn't mean there's more footsies being played.

I do enjoy this game, though. I don't think it's as good as 4, and 4 isn't "overloaded" with mechanics as someone said earlier. There's nothing wrong with having defensive options. 5 has much better balance, but with the small roster, I can't see how that would be difficult for a design team. I like that every character is exaggerated in how different they are from each other. I mean, shoto clones are fun to play in 4, but I like the current character diversity in 5. As much as I dislike not having defensive options in 5, I can't really imagine any character being able to abuse this game's mechanics the way Rose could abuse focus and backdash invincibility in 4, so that's good.

At the end of the day, the name of the game will always be "Adapt or Die". Adapt to the game, or don't. Keep playing 4 if you want. I will. Keep playing 3S if you want. I will. SF5 is a simple game to me, but I'm not the best in my scene. So I'll keep playing 5, too.

Also, I have no idea why people are complaining about backroll. Just walk the opponent into the corner if they keep backrolling. It's not that hard. They can only backroll and avoid the guessing on wakeup so many times before they hit the corner. And then the matchup becomes 7-3 in your favor. It won't make the game a "snorefest". Just don't play like an idiot.

my thoughts exactly on all points
  • StarslicerStarslicer WAKEUPULTRAS4DAYZ Joined: Posts: 530
    Los wrote: »
    Starslicer wrote: »
    Hate it.

Loathe it, in fact.

The current version, in my opinion, is trash and I want heavy revisions all the way around. I may be heavily biased on this, but seeing as I main ryu (At least until Ibuki is "ON THE SCENE!"), I realized that this game really gave him the pits. Other characters also don't have many great options and push them to either have to get in close and take hits to win or just zone.

The ridiculous part is - is that the ones who need to get in close are the very ones with poor normals and the one who can zone have all the options and can also literally ex spam their moves with split second choices leaving a majority of them safe.

And I know, a lot of people will say, "Well maybe you just don't play Ryu good." or "Well have you been using his parry function/v-meter properly?" and the truth is = 8 out of 10 Ryu matches i've faced have been in my favor and I can say his parry function is really a love it or hate it situation. It can open doors, but it does not stop character's quick recovery in some instances. You literally have to throw out your combo right after the parry to make it work. The fact that I get teched from a grab right after parrying is laughable as that would never happen in, say, third strike. Maybe it's online play or what, but even following up with combos have ben blocked after the parry function and it kind of make the whole option of using it other than fear tactics more risk than reward.

Thing I hate about this game is I expected a cut above from IV. I expected a lot more "in your face" gameplay and not people zoning like in IV. And at the very least if it were there, there'd be better options to punish zoners. And that just isn't the real case here when you have some characters who have limited options and while you can get great at them, you can still have that instance where even scrubs can body you because nothing you can do works as long as they block/tech and have higher priority over everything you do (which is vastly unsafe compared to everything they do.)

I kinda just expected if the game, as is, was to come out like this, it'd give better equal standards for all the characters, but instead it just seems like the whole gameplay revolves around how good the character is, instead of player skill. And don't get me wrong - Almost every SF game has that standard of "how good the character is" to it with tiers, but 3s really did even the odds in player skill that IV and V just still aren't getting the grapple on yet.

None the less, while I really hate it, I'm still enjoying it since it's street fighter and it's still version 1. So I hope it really gets better in time and these next couple of updates address some of these balance issues as well as give us more updates swifter than giving one character per month for a game we already paid 60 dollars for.

And furthermore, if the rumors are true, getting 100k fight money to buy a character (as opposed to buying DLC.) is again - ridiculous for a game we already paid 60 dollars for. Do stuff like that for character costumes or something instead of that survival mode crap (You could use the end prize for that for something better.), but not things like this.

I don't expect a lot of folks to agree with my view or the whole rant, but there's my two cents.

who's the character with higher priority on everything he does?

Bison, Chun, Nash, Cammy, Nacalli.

Better priority with safe blockstuns (Nash being the least safe.) and are the most risky to capitalize on punishment without meeting fierce ex spam or a normal into wombo combos.

Given this is from Ryu's standpoint. Ryu rules the air with Bison and has effective tools to get around them all, but when you look at the risk for the gambles you take to win, it's literally a uphill battle for Ryu whereas it's a few blocks away for them.

It's a raw end of the deal.

Another thing that's getting annoying is when the server doesn't access points but when i lose, it does the shit and then later my shit is gone. Yet I never get the points from those wins.

I'm really strongly becoming over this game.

So, with "better priority" you mean longer frame trap strings (which is not really true with nash).
    I think you are trying too hard to play your version of street fighter, while not giving street fighter v a chance.
    If you read the frame data you'll notice that everyone has frame traps and ways to stay in the opponent's face. From the frame data you'll also see that all special moves that can be "spammed" are actually minus on block.
    You should try to play one of those five characters you mentioned and you'll see that you can't win that much if you just roll your face over buttons.

Show me a video of you playing ryu facing each of the characters i mentioned and lets see the punishes you can do to half their block strings. You say "yes, everyone can be punished." go figure and ofcourse spamming can be punished. However, I clearly said its more risk than reward for ryu. So playing with other characters means the purpose is defeated. However, you can say if you play those OTHER characters against other characters mentioned then you'll have something going here.

Either way, this still doesn't take away the fact that "everyone has frame traps" =/= "Some have less than others." or "Some are clearly safer than others."

So again, you typed this out for nothing.

If you can't punish people don't blame the game. The cast is, for once, very well balanced, and everyone has tools to deal with every other character.
    More risk than reward for ryu, you say? You play a character that knocks off 25/30% of their life bar with 3 hits...

I don't understand what do you mean with "some frame traps are safer than others". A frame trap is safe by definition, and the pushback of this game is so high that everyone is back at normal after 2/3 blocked attacks.

SOOOOOO this answered nothing I said, with no data or proof in video added, but say "if you can't do such and such. don't blame the game."

Thing is, i said i know how to play the game, see what works and what doesn't. You're saying shit like you don't see ryu's matchups for yourself and then turn around and tell someone to "GET GOOD" but the proof is already in the pudding with how bad his matchups are to how he's just about even with the rest, which most aren't strongly in his favor.

You talk about "OH HE KNOCKS OFF SO MUCH WITH ETC. HITS." Yeah no shit, so what? he doesn't have many options as opposed to other players so obviously he clearly should. Thing is he can hardly get those limited options he has compared to others.

And honestly I'm not explaining another thing to you since you haven't explained or showed a thing yourself, which means talking to you is backtrolling and a waste of time.
    3s: EBOOKEY
    IV: Nobody plays that shit.
    V: IBUUUUUUKIIIII - Main2be, Roo - soon2bsubbed.
    Twitch - Starslicer
    Fighter ID: Starslicer - PSN/Togenki - PC
    YagamiFire wrote: »

Would hate to lose someone over this shit. What platform you on? I'll try and help you if I can. I'm only mediocre but can probably help with basics maybe? Like I said, I'm no pro but I'd feel bad if I didn't at least try.

Same. The game is multiplatform, so if you wanna play, add me in favorites. ID is same as SN here @ shuma.

Yeah I'll wager we could set-up a google chat or something if people aren't on PS4, right? I mean...those things exist.

People can feel free to friend me as well. My PSNID is the same as my name on here.

I think I've finally found the reason I don't like this game so far. You explain what I personally haven't liked perfectly. Don't get me wrong, there are things I like about this game and I'm still going to play it, I just haven't enjoyed it so far. But I've got to improve somehow. Gotta move on or get left behind.

BTW, we're both from SD (as my name indicates). I've seen you in the SD Fight Scene FB page sometimes. Hope we can both level up and can become some of the best in our area. Good luck to you! Gotta stop giving my money to PNoy (or Pogi as he's gone by recently?) every week...or at least the weeks I do go.

• Ki ShimaKi Shima This tiger isn't dead.... Joined: Posts: 7,930
    when people suck at this game it feels shit. stop sucking :rofl:
    "The telephone is virtual reality in that you can meet with someone as if you are together, at least in the auditory sense."

Ray Kurzweil
  • LosLos Joined: Posts: 675
    Hate it.

Loathe it, in fact.

The current version, in my opinion, is trash and I want heavy revisions all the way around. I may be heavily biased on this, but seeing as I main ryu (At least until Ibuki is "ON THE SCENE!"), I realized that this game really gave him the pits. Other characters also don't have many great options and push them to either have to get in close and take hits to win or just zone.

The ridiculous part is - is that the ones who need to get in close are the very ones with poor normals and the one who can zone have all the options and can also literally ex spam their moves with split second choices leaving a majority of them safe.

And I know, a lot of people will say, "Well maybe you just don't play Ryu good." or "Well have you been using his parry function/v-meter properly?" and the truth is = 8 out of 10 Ryu matches i've faced have been in my favor and I can say his parry function is really a love it or hate it situation. It can open doors, but it does not stop character's quick recovery in some instances. You literally have to throw out your combo right after the parry to make it work. The fact that I get teched from a grab right after parrying is laughable as that would never happen in, say, third strike. Maybe it's online play or what, but even following up with combos have ben blocked after the parry function and it kind of make the whole option of using it other than fear tactics more risk than reward.

Thing I hate about this game is I expected a cut above from IV. I expected a lot more "in your face" gameplay and not people zoning like in IV. And at the very least if it were there, there'd be better options to punish zoners. And that just isn't the real case here when you have some characters who have limited options and while you can get great at them, you can still have that instance where even scrubs can body you because nothing you can do works as long as they block/tech and have higher priority over everything you do (which is vastly unsafe compared to everything they do.)

I kinda just expected if the game, as is, was to come out like this, it'd give better equal standards for all the characters, but instead it just seems like the whole gameplay revolves around how good the character is, instead of player skill. And don't get me wrong - Almost every SF game has that standard of "how good the character is" to it with tiers, but 3s really did even the odds in player skill that IV and V just still aren't getting the grapple on yet.

None the less, while I really hate it, I'm still enjoying it since it's street fighter and it's still version 1. So I hope it really gets better in time and these next couple of updates address some of these balance issues as well as give us more updates swifter than giving one character per month for a game we already paid 60 dollars for.

And furthermore, if the rumors are true, getting 100k fight money to buy a character (as opposed to buying DLC.) is again - ridiculous for a game we already paid 60 dollars for. Do stuff like that for character costumes or something instead of that survival mode crap (You could use the end prize for that for something better.), but not things like this.

I don't expect a lot of folks to agree with my view or the whole rant, but there's my two cents.

Better priority with safe blockstuns (Nash being the least safe.) and are the most risky to capitalize on punishment without meeting fierce ex spam or a normal into wombo combos.

Given this is from Ryu's standpoint. Ryu rules the air with Bison and has effective tools to get around them all, but when you look at the risk for the gambles you take to win, it's literally a uphill battle for Ryu whereas it's a few blocks away for them.

Another thing that's getting annoying is when the server doesn't access points but when i lose, it does the shit and then later my shit is gone. Yet I never get the points from those wins.

So, with "better priority" you mean longer frame trap strings (which is not really true with nash).
    I think you are trying too hard to play your version of street fighter, while not giving street fighter v a chance.
    If you read the frame data you'll notice that everyone has frame traps and ways to stay in the opponent's face. From the frame data you'll also see that all special moves that can be "spammed" are actually minus on block.
    You should try to play one of those five characters you mentioned and you'll see that you can't win that much if you just roll your face over buttons.

Show me a video of you playing ryu facing each of the characters i mentioned and lets see the punishes you can do to half their block strings. You say "yes, everyone can be punished." go figure and ofcourse spamming can be punished. However, I clearly said its more risk than reward for ryu. So playing with other characters means the purpose is defeated. However, you can say if you play those OTHER characters against other characters mentioned then you'll have something going here.

Either way, this still doesn't take away the fact that "everyone has frame traps" =/= "Some have less than others." or "Some are clearly safer than others."

If you can't punish people don't blame the game. The cast is, for once, very well balanced, and everyone has tools to deal with every other character.
    More risk than reward for ryu, you say? You play a character that knocks off 25/30% of their life bar with 3 hits...

I don't understand what do you mean with "some frame traps are safer than others". A frame trap is safe by definition, and the pushback of this game is so high that everyone is back at normal after 2/3 blocked attacks.

SOOOOOO this answered nothing I said, with no data or proof in video added, but say "if you can't do such and such. don't blame the game."

Thing is, i said i know how to play the game, see what works and what doesn't. You're saying shit like you don't see ryu's matchups for yourself and then turn around and tell someone to "GET GOOD" but the proof is already in the pudding with how bad his matchups are to how he's just about even with the rest, which most aren't strongly in his favor.

You talk about "OH HE KNOCKS OFF SO MUCH WITH ETC. HITS." Yeah no shit, so what? he doesn't have many options as opposed to other players so obviously he clearly should. Thing is he can hardly get those limited options he has compared to others.

And honestly I'm not explaining another thing to you since you haven't explained or showed a thing yourself, which means talking to you is backtrolling and a waste of time.

Yep, ryu is so bad that in japan they think he's top two. Go watch some daigo replay if you want "video proof" (of what, we don't know).
    You keep saying that everybody is safe and ryu can't punish "things"...what the hell does that even mean? Do you have a specific question about a matchup/situation, or you are just trying to mask your nerd rage because you probably don't win as much as you would like?
  • DragonthornXDragonthornX Joined: Posts: 61
    Everyone's entitled to his opinion. For me, I like the footsie oriented focus of the game. SFV is thr perfect example of a game that's easier to learn, but even more difficult to master. It's like playing poker... It'll only take you a couple of mins to kmow the rules, but it takes awhile to learn how to play the game at a high level.

The dumbed down execution to me is a plus, not a minus. Even if you take the most casual player, executing all the moves and combos won't do him good unless he can land it in a match against a more experienced player. So I din't think the game itself is dumbed down. The meta game is deep. There's a lot of footsies going on here.
  • StarslicerStarslicer WAKEUPULTRAS4DAYZ Joined: Posts: 530
    Hate it.

Loathe it, in fact.

Yep, ryu is so bad that in japan they think he's top two. Go watch some daigo replay if you want "video proof" (of what, we don't know).
    You keep saying that everybody is safe and ryu can't punish "things"...what the hell does that even mean? Do you have a specific question about a matchup/situation, or you are just trying to mask your nerd rage because you probably don't win as much as you would like?

I thought you actually had a retort or video proof of your own, but instead all i get is "If Daigo said it, therefore it must be true."

The same person who god bodied by a ken shoryu spamming Lupe.

Good video proof bro.

Anyways, that laughable thing you call a comeback aside, if you can't show me shit, keep your mouth shut on a character you clearly can't display the pros and short comings of.
    3s: EBOOKEY
    IV: Nobody plays that shit.
    V: IBUUUUUUKIIIII - Main2be, Roo - soon2bsubbed.
    Twitch - Starslicer
    Fighter ID: Starslicer - PSN/Togenki - PC
  • REVPETERPOPOFFREVPETERPOPOFF Joined: Posts: 4
    edited March 2016
    The netcode,matchmaking, and ragequitting(including my own) ruined my hype. I like the game though but I got no local scene unless I wanna travel to LA or San Diego. Also some things feel a little too safe and the mashing jab between strings is weird.

Shoutouts to not wasting your money because steam sharing
  • LosLos Joined: Posts: 675
    Hate it.

Loathe it, in fact.

I thought you actually had a retort or video proof of your own, but instead all i get is "If Daigo said it, therefore it must be true."

The same person who god bodied by a ken shoryu spamming Lupe.

Good video proof bro.

Anyways, that laughable thing you call a comeback aside, if you can't show me shit, keep your mouth shut on a character you clearly can't display the pros and short comings of

Whatever, just keep trolling your way through
  • itsOneOitsOneO Joined: Posts: 417
    I kinda feel the same way. I like the throwback feel to SF fundamentals, its just missing hype & player creativity. Everything seems so restricted, its like everybody plays everybody the same online on some flowchart shit. We've pretty much seen everybody's tricks, and there aren't many to remember.

I like when all the characters in a fighting game "feel" like they're all broken & OP, but somehow it all balances out for the most part because everybody has dirt. With SFV, Capcom took the opposite approach by eliminating all of the OP-looking cool stuff in the betas, then left us with this sterile retail version. Only Rashid, FANG, and Dhalsim feel endless with possibilities.

3+ years from now, we'll be playing a totally new SFV thats probably eons better than what we're playing now. You won't miss vanilla SFV when its gone, that's for sure.
    The King of Pennsylvania Ave
    Watch My Animated Series "The Yard" !!
  • CrayRavenCrayRaven Joined: Posts: 167
    edited March 2016
    I think SFV lived up to expectations gameplay wise. Everything feels solid. The only thing I'm really disappointed with is the netcode rollback. 70% of my matches I end up fighting teleporters. Its quite disappointing. Other than that, I enjoy it way more than IV. I couldn't stand the light attack spam into big dmg in IV.
  • TebboTebbo Play. Joined: Posts: 5,627
    i have no hype.
    i think the game is fun.

i'm looking forward to seeing how they continue to develop the V concepts.
    Play more.
  • Citrus_monkeyCitrus_monkey Joined: Posts: 1,731
    People in the FGC are mean :s

You know I just looked at this thread out of pure curiosity and I've only seen you whine about a bunch of things that can me mitigated. Look man, I played 3S for a shitload of years and then didn't play any fighting games for like 7 or 8 years, now I'm trying to get back into something that I used to be good at and It's almost like starting fresh...and it's frustrating as fuck. I got my ass kicked at a local venue and online it's not much better. I just dropped the game altogether and decided to wait until the march update to let off some steam. Maybe you need to just do that instead of complain about people being mean. You will lose a lot at this game before you get good so stop taking it so personally. If you're mentally affected by people you've never seen nor ever will in an online setting then you're not ready for online gaming in general. It's not like FGC players are some strange human breed that happens to be mean. In my own experience I met far more bitter people on leagues....hell, even smash. Suck it up and go play the game man.
  • blacksquidblacksquid Joined: Posts: 109
    edited March 2016
    Def. much less hype than IV but I see a lot of potential. Remember vanilla Sagat? SFV doesn't feel so terrible after that. It's fun but kinda boring (that's an understatement) in this state... Will prob look into the new KOF and GG.