Ducktales New Series First Art Revealed!!!

Comments

• rukawa_kaederukawa_kaede ({「決最終戦奥義」}) Joined: Posts: 3,400
    Loving that aanimation

It looks like those first looney toons episodes that aired on TV on the 30's
  • Colonel-GilgameshColonel-Gilgamesh Akuma Matata Joined: Posts: 8,832
    I honestly don't know what would happen if a baby Jackie Chan was protecting stole a dollar from Scrooge.

New animation is a little disheartening. I miss old school Disney animation, but I'm not gonna hold it against Neo Ducktales........though I have a feeling it's gonna try to be Gravity Falls 2 and not sure how to respond to THAT.
    NNID: a2handedmonk
  • ReggieHadokenReggieHadoken Power Up Joined: Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Well some of the crew that worked on Gravity Falls is working on Duck Tales. The show has already been green lit for a second season and we're getting season long story arcs.

I'm hype.
    I mean, Gravity Falls was basically modern Ducktales + Mystery. Hell, it even had a badass elderly money grubber with a heart of gold.

I have high hopes regardless, just hoping it will feel more like Ducktales than GF
  • Tien GoukiTien Gouki Captain Jack Joined: Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    This new ducktales gives me a old school comic book style art vibe. I love it.
    Just noticed in the trailer there's a Webby doll with an arrow pinning it to the wall.

I get the feeling the animators did not care for old Webby
  • dn3000dn3000 Joined: Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Man duck tales and Samurai jack.. whats next? can we get a proper dungeons and dragons season(s) with a proper finale/end pls???
  • Sexperienced.Sexperienced. kdh Joined: Posts: 5,257
    I preferred the old animation style. Too many cartoons today are animated like the new style.
  • Kinniku BusterKinniku Buster KIMO! KIMO! KIMO! Joined: Posts: 8,906
    I preferred the old animation style. Too many cartoons today are animated like the new style.

What the fuck does this even mean?
    Peace to the Mountain
    Amiibo Aficionado

Negro Install

The sky's fallin', baby, drop that ass 'fore it crash.

Currently Playing - Splatoon 2 (Switch), Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection (PS4)
    Currently Reading - Rick and Morty (Onipress), Usagi Yojimbo (Dark Horse)
    Currently Watching (Animated) - Star vs. The Forces of Evil, We Bare Bears
    Currently Watching (Live Action) - GLOW

edited March 4
    I meant the original late 80's style animation and voices were better than this. Too many cartoons today have this similar minimalistic style which I don't mind on certain cartoons like Samurai Jack but if you're reebooting something at least make it look similar to the original.
    Post edited by Sexperienced. on
  • dab00gdab00g Joined: Posts: 20,172
    Duck Tales is my favorite cartoon because the animation and story telling

When disney refused more money the creators shelved duck tales because they wanted to keep the quality high

People want cartoons faster and cheaper

Venture brothers has the best and most complex animation when it comes to tv cartoons
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,397
    I meant the original late 80's style animation and voices were better than this. Too many cartoons today have this similar minimalistic style which I don't mind on certain cartoons like Samurai Jack but if you're reebooting something at least make it look similar to the original.

Cartoons are notoriously expensive to produce. Even with sending most of the work overseas and cost cutting measures its not enough anymore.
    Minimalist art styles isn't an artistic choice, but a financial one. Being minimalist keeps production quick and cheap.
    Wonder why Disney gave up on traditional hand drawn animation? How everything done via some computer software, even flash?
    Because you only have to draw characters and objects once except when a scene calls for a new sprite to be made.
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
    The Japanese seem to create well animated cartoons on an almost weekly basis so there really is no excuse. If it's so expensive they should at least ask fans to donate because the demand is there. I'd donate to a Thundercats remake (or movie) that looked and animated like the intro from the original show. Cartoons today should be a lot easier to produce than over 20years ago considering that the entire original Ducktales series was hand drawn.
    edited March 4
    The Japanese seem to create well animated cartoons on an almost weekly basis so there really is no excuse. If it's so expensive they should at least ask fans to donate because the demand is there. I'd donate to a Thundercats remake (or movie) that looked and animated like the intro from the original show. Cartoons today should be a lot easier to produce than over 20years ago considering that the entire original Ducktales series was hand drawn.

Nothing is done by hand anymore. Not here, not in Japan.
    Actually most animation is done at the same sweat shop overseas anyways.
    Even Anime cut corners and Minimalist art styles are often used on minor/background characters

Why animate backgrounds when you can make the whole thing filled with speed lines and blur effects
    kill-la-kill-fight.png

And its kida hard to see here as there are details, it isn't as detailed as past anime
    The entire scene is composed in CG, with filtering for cellshading on rendered background characters, Note how basic and simplistic each background character is drawn.
    The background looked like it came from a PS2 game
    movie.jpg

Further more the New Duck tales is a weekly kids production on a cable network in the US.
    There is not that much proffit made from Kids shows, that with stricter regulations on TV programmings killed Saturday morning cartoons
    You could show me a show that looks like garbage (or worse, high art) and as long as it entertains me it's a good show.

Rule #1 of entertainment: If it's not entertaining, it dies
  • WastedWasted Verbal Diarrhetic Joined: Posts: 5,773
    You could show me a show that looks like garbage (or worse, high art) and as long as it entertains me it's a good show.

Rule #1 of entertainment: If it's not entertaining, it dies

Unless your name is Greg Weisman.
    SFV: Ken, with THAT ORANGE COSTUME

I have nobody to play with, so I typically talk out of my ass.
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 22,753
    The new show looks great.
    Glad to see that they will also provide focus to my favorite disney character of all time (Donald)
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,619
    edited March 5

Making it similar to the original would defeat the purpose of it being a reboot. What's the point of starting fresh if you're going to retread old ground?
    Post edited by Hawkingbird on
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 24,795
    Unlike the trash ass reboots we've been getting like TT Go and NuPowerpuffs, this show looks like the creators understand and respect these characters and their history fully.

And I'm the guy who had major doubts about this series going in originally...
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,014 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    pretty sure its a flash animated show hence why the style may be the way it is.
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
    I know it's more canonical, but I am not a fan of the Red and Black outfit for Scrooge. Blue, red and yellow for life.
    maxx wrote: »
    pretty sure its a flash animated show hence why the style may be the way it is.

Most likely, With Flash you can do alot every fast and cheaply and you can reuse assets very easily.

Shows which are done in Flash for time constant's/budget reasons

List of Shows and Films done in Flash
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Flash_animated_television_series
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Flash_animated_films

And what not done in Flash is animated in similar computer aided software.
    http://alternativeto.net/software/tvp-animation/
    po pimpus wrote: »
    TT Go
    TT Go was never meant to be a reboot or a sequel.
    It is its own thing.
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
    Don't forget Young Justice is coming back too. Good animation still lives!

Now make me happy and at least give us a proper ending to Thundercats 2011.
  • BlindknaggBlindknagg There's the truth of time and the truth of legend. Joined: Posts: 3,815
    How old are you?

dk_cbco_19hj_001.gif&normalsize=1

Right in the ducking feels :sad:

(> ̄▽ ̄)> nigga this
    nigga that
    <( ̄▽ ̄<)
  • ArtVandelayArtVandelay Architect Joined: Posts: 5,333
    edited March 7

Have you ever watched anime?
    First of almost all modern anime is 3d, secondly old 2d anime was animated sparsely.
    Old anime was mostly static images that only got animated when they absolutely needed to and otherwise just used tricks to make it look like it was in motion.

Aside from that Thundercats was shit animation as well, I mean compared to Dragonball it's fantastic but how "bad" or let's say economical the animation in stuff like Thundercats or He Man was, only becomes obvious if you compare it to Disney animated features. I think you go around wearing your nostalgia tinted glasses too much instead of critically looking at the past and the present.

Obviously there are a high quality animation movies like the stuff from studio Ghibli, but yeah those are movies and not shit you put out on a weekly basis.

3d is also very cheap compared to traditional animation and can look fantastic. Just look at Guilty Gear Xrd as a reference. People will tell you the game is the best looking 2d fighting game ever, when reality it's a 3d game.
    If directed properly a 3d animation can look great.
    CFN: NaughtySenpai
  • rukawa_kaederukawa_kaede ({「決最終戦奥義」}) Joined: Posts: 3,400
    As far as I know most work is still done by hand in anime the only thing that changed is the digital tools they now use.

I don't like the lack of color and simplistic animation of the new ducktales looks more like count duckula than ducktales.
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,014 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    As far as I know most work is still done by hand in anime the only thing that changed is the digital tools they now use.

I don't like the lack of color and simplistic animation of the new ducktales looks more like count duckula than ducktales.

most but not all is by hand.
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • drawpdrawp Joined: Posts: 53
    Pretty damn hyped for this. Always like to see the remakes of old shows-- even if they come out terribly >_<
    I seeing a lot of comments on YouTube saying "They should have used the old voice cast."

As someone that LOVES Kevin Connroy as Batman, and Mark Hamill as the Joker, I have no problem with other people voicing those characters so long as they do a good job. Bruce Greenwood killed it as Batman in Under the Red Hood and John DiMaggio does an amazing Joker.

Teen Titans Go may not be a reboot but it does use the old voice cast. And the show is no better for it, still sucking goat testicles. The new Power Puff Girls show uses new voices but that is the least of that show's problems. The new cast was never an issue for me and even the old art style isn't really helping it. These are just two examples of where using an old art style and old voice talent don't necessarily boost a show's quality.
    I seeing a lot of comments on YouTube saying "They should have used the old voice cast."

As someone that LOVES Kevin Connroy as Batman, and Mark Hamill as the Joker, I have no problem with other people voicing those characters so long as they do a good job. Bruce Greenwood killed it as Batman in Under the Red Hood and John DiMaggio does an amazing Joker.

Teen Titans Go may not be a reboot but it does use the old voice cast. And the show is no better for it, still sucking goat testicles. The new Power Puff Girls show uses new voices but that is the least of that show's problems. The new cast was never an issue for me and even the old art style isn't really helping it. These are just two examples of where using an old art style and old voice talent don't necessarily boost a show's quality.

A friendly reminder that several key figures for the cast are dead. Alan Young (Scrooge) and Hal Smith (Flintheart Glomgold)

Hopefully, June Foray will still come back. I loved her as Magica/Ma Beagle/Natasha..........ok, pretty much all of her work.

Is like those idiots don't understand that the show is not made with the old fans in mind first, but to bring Ducktales to a new crowd.
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
    June Foray hasn't done voice work in decades. The lady's vocal chords are probably done at this point.

Same reason Frank "THE GOAT" Welker doesn't do too much anymore... His voice is failing on him due to age and overuse.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10

A friendly reminder that several key figures for the cast are dead. Alan Young (Scrooge) and Hal Smith (Flintheart Glomgold)

Hopefully, June Foray will still come back. I loved her as Magica/Ma Beagle/Natasha..........ok, pretty much all of her work.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. The VA that played Gizmo Duck/Fenton Crackshell is also dead. Assembeling the whole cast is impossible but from what I've heard thus far, I'm fine with the new cast. Can't wait to hear more from David Tennent as Scrooge because I loved what I heard from that trailer.
  • InfernomanInfernoman Bro as Hell Joined: Posts: 9,206
    I'm happy they're trying to establish this ver of the show as new with the heart of the old. Let a new generation of kids watch and love this series. Same thing with those before us who read the comics about Donald scrooge and everyone before the show was made.

And I need to binge watch the original again.
    Who else in a movie wrestled an evil lesbian and by forcefully kissing her, turned her not only heterosexual but good as well? Exactly. That, my friend, is the power of Sean motherfucking Connery - Valaris
    edited March 8
    June Foray hasn't done voice work in decades. The lady's vocal chords are probably done at this point.

Same reason Frank "THE GOAT" Welker doesn't do too much anymore... His voice is failing on him due to age and overuse.

She reprised her role in Ducktales Remastered game.

Still sounded legit.

But I'll concede the point
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,040 mod

Still sounded legit.

Remastered is an exception to the rule since they went out of their way to make sure they got the original cast. Even Alan Young reprised his role as Scrooge even though he was in his 90s at the time.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
    d3v wrote: »

Still sounded legit.

Remastered is an exception to the rule since they went out of their way to make sure they got the original cast. Even Alan Young reprised his role as Scrooge even though he was in his 90s at the time.

I am aware. Hence the conceded point
    edited March 8
    I'd love to have everyone back as well, but doing VA work for a game is far less time intensive than a TV series.

The Remastered crew had to go to exceptional lengths to get Mr. Young's and Ms. Foray's lines done.

It's the same reason I worry about Nozawa's Goku- That lady is pushing 80 still screaming Kamehameha at the top of her lungs... Can't be good for her.
  • HotobuHotobu Simpsonized Joined: Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Don't really like Scrooge's voice actor. Sounds like a young man trying to be old. Wish they could have gotten an old actor.
  • WastedWasted Verbal Diarrhetic Joined: Posts: 5,773
    David Tennant is 45, he's getting there.
    SFV: Ken, with THAT ORANGE COSTUME

I have nobody to play with, so I typically talk out of my ass.
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,052

Still sounded legit.

And Alan sounded like he was having trouble to boot.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Still sounded legit.

And Alan sounded like he was having trouble to boot.

God rest his soul.
    edited March 10

He can still get gadget though.

dr-claw.jpg