Biggest 3S Event of the Year: Clash of the Titans at TFC, Raleigh, NC

Comments

• exodusexodus anti-vid scrub advocate! Joined: Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Titan event will now have 6 players, with 2 (up from 1) coming from qualifying in the Singles event!
  • djdjwdjdjw GGPO's son Joined: Posts: 281
    Thanks for being open minded exo, this event will be well worth the flight. Get hype!!
    Earned a free fightstick from that site ->... http://www.points2shop.com?ref=uin1352551523
  • IglooBobIglooBob Bob the builder Joined: Posts: 4,036
    I will win singles
    Alaska will win teams
    Then I want a parade

I'm feeling confident. Who can stop the northern wind?
    I think 5 to 6 was a decent compromise while still maintaining the FT3 round robin structure. Had I budged to 8, I would've probably had to change the structure to a bracket style, which would've been too much...But this change...this should make everyone happ..i...er.....!
    Updated the rules just a little more...:)
    So is there a way to view these rules without having a Facebook?
    Earned a free fightstick from that site ->... http://www.points2shop.com?ref=uin1352551523
    I copied the rules to the opening post.

But you should totally have a FB for 3SJunkies.
  • KD AlphaKD Alpha "KD Alpha is the final boss of Laker hating." Joined: Posts: 1,356
    edited April 2016
    3SJunkies is like voluntarily getting cancer. I say this as someone who is fairly active there. For every worthwhile post there are 25-30 shitposts of bad information or stuff that has nothing to do with the game.

That said, join us!
  • ruddy85ruddy85 Joined: Posts: 10
    edited April 2016
    So Exodus shamelessly names himself as one of the Top 5 players in America. Talk about going on an ego trip.
    Post edited by ruddy85 on
    No that would be way too disingenuous. How could I occupy all 5 slots of top 5 American 3S?

In all seriousness, that's not what the event is about. Top anything of American 3S is too speculative a subject. That's one of the purposes of this event, to make it less speculative!
  • metricmetric - Joined: Posts: 1,203
    ruddy85 wrote: »
    So Exodus shamelessly names himself as the Top 5 players in America. Talk about going on an ego trip.
    Damn man, you got him, sick burns.
    So Exodus shamelessly names himself as one of the Top 5 players in America. Talk about going on an ego trip.

Fixed.
  • andrew_janDekandrew_janDek Joined: Posts: 99
    sweet i'll be there
    Sweet Andrew! Looking forward to meeting you :smiley: make sure you get tons of practice in; I think the competition will be super stiff....I'm hoping!
  • andrew_janDekandrew_janDek Joined: Posts: 99
    I'm sure, i suppose we have technically occupied the same space as I was at the 3rd fight club with rkf and such. Nonetheless always excited to get opportunities to play the real game!
    edited April 2016
    House of strikes 14 with nica, Frankie and adam3s brought up a lot of good points about TFC. I'm not trying to take anything from what you are doing I'm just saying that because they have experience with doing events that their credibility is definitely there. Would be nice to hear your opinion on what they have suggested exo. I'm traveling pretty far to get some matches/ losses and watching matches that I would be able to see on stream. not sure what the incentive would be to go to nc seeing as though you Titans are too strong for me to even have a chance at winning anything :( it's practically like giving money away .throw me a bone here bro plz let your opinion be heard in reply to that house of strikes episode.thanks here's the link

@andrew_janDek Oh really? Shoulda said hi! We'll be sure to do that this time around ^_^

@djdjw I've already watched it. Which points are you specifically referring to?
    If your concern is, "Why should I spend X amount of money to go to some tournament where I'd just lose to better players?", there're plenty of reasons.

1 - You're not alone. Almost everyone who goes to a tournament is bound to incur expenses while not recouping any. It's the cost of admission. You're paying for the experience. What you get out of the experience is up to you. I can understand that you came in through the online scene, and you're not familiar with an offline tournament. But I think I can speak for everyone when I say, we go to tournaments in order to see old friends, meet new ones, and have a great time sharing the same passion for the game. Participating in the tournament and gauging where you stand and how much further you must go...that's just one part of it. So the only decision you have to make is whether or not you are able to allow that in your finances.

2 - 3rd Strike in the US, as far as tournaments go, died down a great deal after OE came out. Aside from the 25th Anniversary and 37R (both milestone tournaments, eg not yearly affairs), you were hard pressed to find a reliable tournament to attend. Even then, 3S has by and large been held on console, which is not the best experience one can have when playing 3S. With the inclusion of Tony Majors and the efforts of TITS this past year, we finally have a chance to push arcade 3S back on the table. Why? Because it is a game that deserves to stay alive, to continue to be played competitively. So then, what role do you play? Well, you're just one person. But if many more people adopted your mentality of "Why should I go when (reasons)...?", then you're throwing more spears at the shield...eventually, it'll break. Don't go out of your way and break the bank, but if you can be financially responsible, why wouldn't you spend it on a game so deserving?
  • JAK..JAK.. Joined: Posts: 544
    edited April 2016
    exodus wrote: »

2 - 3rd Strike in the US, as far as tournaments go, died down a great deal after OE came out. Aside from the 25th Anniversary and 37R (both milestone tournaments, eg not yearly affairs)

37R a milestone??? It was a fucking joke for 3s...
    Milestone in the sense that it was ran to mark a particular occasion (anniversary of EVO #37). Not speaking about the quality of the event.
  • Ryu24Ryu24 Retired 3S Titan Joined: Posts: 1,422
    Yet when I asked the same question, I was told "You're all idiots"
    I was most curious about possibilities of other players actually being Titans like sandybags or tenren if they show interest in coming. Or just a small stipulation like if a Titan enters and loses in singles their spot can be taken in the Titan showcase. If Titans can enter singles I can't see why there couldn't be at least that
    I was originally intending to respond to their broadcast as well as Mutant's response but as I continued to hear their points, I felt less inclined to. And it's not anyone's fault but my own, but I felt that as I was continuing to make compromises, I lost the meaning behind the event.

To make it short (and I suppose I can elaborate later), I intended to run the Titan event as a way to draw viewership in, by honoring the small subset of players who have made some meaningful contribution to 3S over the years. It feels especially silly that people feel slighted by my choices, as I never made any formal declaration about what constitutes a Titan in my eyes. But, by continuing to compromise, I am in turn disrespecting the same people I picked to honor. The rules will be updated once more to reflect this. I haven't gotten around to it though.
    Well thanks for clarification it makes plenty of sense. Wasn't trying to look for flaws in your operation just clarification for me and others who were curious. Would be good for you to reply to the others just for the sake of being a stand up role model and forefront leader of the current 3s movement. Also confronting them head on would be making a statement that this is essentially your event and that there are reasons behind what you are doing. A guy with a reputation in the 3s world like yourself has no reason to dodge constructive criticism. Obama and other powers in general are faced with these challenges daily so you being a leader or one of the sort "Titans" should have no problem responding. Thanks again for replies brother
  • sidewindersidewinder Stiff Arm... Joined: Posts: 666 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I rather put fight4thefuture,muraltag or even biggiesmallz as a Titan than him. just saying.
    im not that good , but there's always room for improvement... i think
  • TebboTebbo Play. Joined: Posts: 5,666
    respect and all etc. but this whole thing is juvenile and divisive. 'Titans'? how old are you.

you know what people actually want to see?
    A team of Artayes, 2Nasty and Dyne.
    Play more.
    @tebbo Can you explain to me in what way is it juvenile and divisive? Given that there is much consideration for the event from numerous hotspots across the country, I wouldn't say it is divisive. Having SoCal come in any capacity is something that rarely ever happens in 3S. There are also confirmations from some NorCal players, some online players, Texas players, Chicago players, New York, NC, FL, etc.

One can look at the Titan event as a bunch of elitist circle jerks, or one can look at it as a way to bring back excitement in 3S. Even in 2016, people still wonder how would 5star or Pyro would do vs Nica and Yuuki. Just because you yourself may not be interested in it, doesn't mean everyone else is similarly disinterested. Going to my earlier point, the fact that we are able to draw out crowds from all across America, I'd say the Titans event is very unifying.
    As for the juvenile comment, I don't see it. Are you saying the use of the word Titan itself is childish? It's pretty standard when it comes to American showmanship. Coming from an organizational point of view, if I intend to draw publicity to the event, I've certainly chosen the right word.

As for the people who feel slighted that they were not considered a Titan, or wish there were more spots...they're missing the point of the event entirely. I'm not drawing that division, they are.
  • TebboTebbo Play. Joined: Posts: 5,666
    You are right, that's my opinion, not everyone's.
    There is excitement in 3S. It's in local groups like the NYC Fight Club guys.

You answered your questions better than I could.
    Good luck with the event.
    Play more.
    So assuming you could go to the event, you'd choose not to because of the Titans event being ran, despite it only being the headlining event for a weekend that also includes a singles event and a 3v3 event?
    I'm curious about how Exodus will do vs pyro, 5star, nica or yuuki ;) gonna be exciting for sure. I feel like teams will be the most exciting and singles will be a slobberknocker gonna be interesting to see who will make it to the top 8 even. I'm hoping to see familiar names / faces and some hype lesser known players also.
    At its core, I am running this in hopes that it will bring about a greater national scene for 2017. Very small chance of success because traveling only for 3S itself is financially impractical on a national scale...but at the very least, I'll have tried. Whether or not the Titans event becomes a staple or whether we experiment with other formats is very up in the air.
  • metricmetric - Joined: Posts: 1,203
    At its core, I am running this in hopes that it will bring about a greater national scene for 2017.

Ben-Affleck-in-Batman-V-Superman-interview.jpg

edited April 2016
    Clash of titans poster
    1f5e52c7-9d0e-4bdd-b18b-4d7726901210_zpsnulqngww.png

Post edited by Ryu24 on
    @metric that'll be me if I don't see you at TFC
    Here's a 1 minute clip of what Nica and Frankie3s think:

Because the only way Exodus can ever appear in a top 5 list is when Exodus himself picks the list. Get it?

That's why he's been dodging all questions about why he put himself in the list.

Dude, I would rather see Dander play with the big boys than Exodus. That ego trip though.
    a993a68b-eb61-4817-ba64-84e346cd8b17_zpsjnk71kgf.jpg
    3955ce3f-473f-47a4-a6dc-6faebcb191dc_zpstwosr8qm.png
  • ryan.ryan. Joined: Posts: 1,918
    I'm all for speaking your mind, but why do it with new accounts?

Man up.
    The Titans were never a top of anything list. It's just an easy narrative for people who feel slighted (or hate me in general) to take since I happen to be the coordinator. Regardless if there are more qualified people or not, the people I chose all play a role in the 3S community, and they happen to be some of the strongest players in the US. Unfortunately, some people can't come together and be supportive, but you can't really please everyone anyway.
    On another note @pherai, we've got confirms from a handful of West Coast players...and Lance is really rallying to get Ryan to come over...Would really suck to not be able to meet you in person ;)
    The Titans were never a top of anything list.

No offense, but everything about it sends that exact message.
    From the name "Titans" to the players you picked - Yuuki, 5star, and Nica KO. Those 3 players can definitely be considered the best in America. But somehow you included yourself in the list using your own "criteria". Respect and all brah, but even the things you've said sends out that message:
    -Clash of the Titans (5 of America's top players will...)
    4 of the top notable 3rd Strike players in the country...
    -Overall skill level
    -Consistency over the years
    -Name recognition within community

So I still stand by what I said about Exodus never being in the 'Titans' event unless Exodus himself picks the list.

Everything I've expressed is my personal opinion and I fully support this event, but I know many people feel the same way including NicaKO and Frankie3s:

• jblairjblair so this is it huh? having standards use to be standard Joined: Posts: 1,329
    who is the real titan
    ryan. wrote: »
    No offense, but I could think of like 3-4 guys who should be in this over the weakest player.
    Manny, mommy, manny, etc etc

Hahaha
    Haaaahahahahmmm
    AAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• WTF-AKUMA-HAXWTF-AKUMA-HAX C.JACKOBE > David Sirloin Joined: Posts: 17,638
    looked like pherai was on the court at the laker game

hugging kobe. and he was taller than kobe!

probably huerta in the manbun and beard aka: 2005 pherai #DJ MBENGA
    1999 = "A Game with Parries isn't Street Fighter"
    2016 = "Releasing a Complete Game isn't Street Fighter"
    You wouldn't even understand if I told you.
    People will forget what you said.
    People will forget what you did.
    But, people will never forget how you made them feel.

• IglooBobIglooBob Bob the builder Joined: Posts: 4,036
    JAK.. wrote: »

2 - 3rd Strike in the US, as far as tournaments go, died down a great deal after OE came out. Aside from the 25th Anniversary and 37R (both milestone tournaments, eg not yearly affairs)

37R a milestone??? It was a fucking joke for 3s...
    jblair wrote: »
    who is the real titan
    ryan. wrote: »
    No offense, but I could think of like 3-4 guys who should be in this over the weakest player.
    Manny, mommy, manny, etc etc

Hahaha
    Haaaahahahahmmm
    AAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

come to TFC friends

I've got a hole in my heart that only Nor Cal can fill
    A huge reason as to why it is the way it is because the 4 people I handpicked are top players of not only different locales but also different characters. Yang, Yun, Ken, Dudley. All from different regions. It meshes well together.

If you really agree that "Mutant or Ahmed should be there before exo", you're not in touch with the scene and just don't like me personally (or are biased in favor of NY), so there's little sense in me arguing it. If your beef is "exo shouldn't be there at all", that would have more merit, as I haven't produced any tournament results to equate to the other 3. But tournament results are not the only criteria, nor does it completely and transparently showcase skill.

And of course I foresaw that there would be some contention, which is why I created the rules to make room for a Titan's loss of his seat. I really didn't need to, but it was a show of good faith that "perhaps I'm out of touch". But bottom line, this is how I chose to run TFC, and these are the 4 names that I drew up. If you really dislike my pick that much, just challenge me for it.
  • jblairjblair so this is it huh? having standards use to be standard Joined: Posts: 1,329
    With the inclusion of Tony Majors and the efforts of TITS this past year, we finally have a chance to push arcade 3S back on the table.

What are tits and Tony Majors? Are these events, humans, or acronyms?
    Tony Majors is a fella from NC who maintains Japanese cabinets as a hobby. He provides a ton of cabs for any convention that would be interested in it. He's got a partnership with Big Eric to provide those cabs for all of Eric's events.

TITS is This Is Third Strike!, Nica KO and Mutant XP's collaborative efforts to bring back growth to the community by streaming/running events.