The Paragon Thread - REVENANT ABOUT TO BODY FOLKS!

CTGCTG Army of ZeroJoined: Posts: 6,094
edited April 20 in General Discussion
https://www.epicgames.com/paragon/

Paragon is the MOBA from Epic Games that puts you in the fight with explosive action, direct third-person control, and deep strategic choice.

PARAGON IS COMING TO PC AND PLAYSTATION 4, WITH PAID EARLY ACCESS RIGHT NOW AND FREE OPEN BETA IN SUMMER 2016.

Choose from an ever-expanding roster of unique Heroes, earn cards to customize their abilities, and lead your team to victory. Paragon is designed so that every player can compete and win without ever spending money. All Heroes are free, and cards can only be earned by playing the game.

PS4 Players - SRK (PS4):
  • CTG (Utmost-Nutszo)
  • Pertho (Pertho14)
  • 2-D (ForeverKing901)

PC Players - SRK (PC):

Post edited by CTG on

Comments

• SWBetaSWBeta Joined: Posts: 12,770
    Yeah this game looks raw af. @angelpalm you playing this shit? There's an archer broad you can play.
  • regulateregulate Bruv of bruvs Joined: Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Cuatro beta out?
    Never forget:
    Boel wrote: »
    phantom angel the kinda guy that eats a roll of dental floss so that he can slowly come to a shuddering climax as he pulls it out his ass

regulate wrote: »
    Cuatro beta out?

Early access has been in effect for PS4 for a few days now, iirc. @GomuGomu can you hook these niggas up with info?
  • CTGCTG Army of Zero Joined: Posts: 6,094
    Right now, the game is a very playable alpha. A lot of the creep's textures aren't in, the UI is placeholder, etc.

Just so everyone knows what to expects.
  • GomuGomuGomuGomu Strider Sucks Joined: Posts: 9,518
    Yeah you can cop one of three founders packs off PSN to play whenever the server is up. The mid and high priced pack come with XP boosts, Cosmetic unlocks(not immediately), and a code for a basic founders pack. If you opt to play for free during alpha, you'll only be able to play on like open weekends or something.

Speaking of arrow chick, I tried her for the first time today and she seems pretty bad in her current state. Maybe my builds just suck but I'm finding it extremely hard to 1v1 anyone who's not an ADC unless I have loads of items. Her early and mid game are weak as fuck and she's very easily ganked.

I imagine numbers will be shifted around as time goes on because I feel right now tanks are waaaaaaay too tanky especially in the early game when they have zero defensive items. Movement needs some adjustment as well; using Sparrow as an example, if a melee character jumps on you and starts attacking it feels impossible to get away from them because they just stick to you and you die for free. There needs to be a movement speed penalty for attacking. There is a movement speed card I unlocked tho so maybe there's more.
    PSN: xXGomuGomuXx
  • SleazoidSleazoid Joined: Posts: 4,744
    GomuGomu wrote: »
    There needs to be a movement speed penalty for attacking.

good thing there is one

it's hard to take the game seriously when it's clearly still in development and everything is liable to change. the top strats are some downright cheesy shit, and the card system creates a big disparity between high and low level players despite epic's attempts to not make it p2w.

a lot of stuff needs tuning and fleshing out, like tooltips for some skills will be flat out wrong, there are no dynamic tooltips or ratios shown anywhere, and communicating on PS4 is a complete wash.

sparrow is best built as waveclear and offtank since she gets so much damage out of her passive and green/white defensive cards tend to have crit bonuses on them. if you lack the cards TB is always a better ADC and her only strength is her decent pushing/waveclear.
    Not strong enough then, cuz people be sticking to you and you're not even backpedaling and haven't been slowed.

I guess building her that way would make sense given the fact that she has growth affinity. I have quite a few decent defensive cards that offer additional bonuses like pen, regen and stuff. I like to put some CDR on her so her ult is up a lot to just kill people.

• angelpalmangelpalm They're for the bullet holes, puta! Joined: Posts: 22,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    SWBeta wrote: »
    Yeah this game looks raw af. @angelpalm you playing this shit? There's an archer broad you can play.

Yeah idk wtf I am doing in this game.
    Alright I've been putting in some more work with Sparrow and that fucking wave/camp clear is too good. Getting better at utilizing her strengths.
    After getting a few games in, I agree w/ Gomu about melee characters sticking to you. Using Twinblast, I keep my rocket jump skill ready but that rarely helps.

Overall, I'm still getting the hang of the gameplay and card system. It could definitely use saturation blast in the color department and the characters are just as bland, but fun to play.
  • angelpalmangelpalm They're for the bullet holes, puta! Joined: Posts: 22,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I don't understand the cool downs, I unlocked all sparrows stuff but then it's like I can never use it because I don't have enough energy.
    angelpalm wrote: »
    I don't understand the cool downs, I unlocked all sparrows stuff but then it's like I can never use it because I don't have enough energy.

You need enough energy to cast a skill. That bar under your health is your energy.
    It replenishes slowly, but you can speed it up by upgrading your hero with an energy regen card, using an energy potion, or having the blue buff. Usually when you're low on energy you go back to the base because it fills up your health and energy. If you find yourself running out of energy all the time you may be using your skills too much.
  • Jack_FrostJack_Frost M.C Joined: Posts: 6,316
    so buying it on pc lets me play on ps4 as well? cause I saw that you can link accounts or whatever. wish there was a free version like smite tho just to try it
    There aren't 50 hours in a 5 day span...
    CRYING
    Starting to think that Sparrow is the best ranged carry in the game right now. Her only weakness being no escape or CC. Her Hail of Arrows outpushes pretty much everyone not named Gideon which makes her laning, split push, and camp clearing capabilities ridiculous. Her ult is basically Twin Blast lite but you can still use other skills while casting it, her snipe is good for kill securing and rooting people while chasing them in travel mode, and her passive just melts people.

She's challenging to play until she comes online, but I'm having a lot of fun playing her now. Early game I just focus on survival, wards are a must and the amulet card with extra health gives you better survivability.
    I've only messed around w/ Twinblast thus far. Plan on playing a bunch this weekend. I want to try out Sparrow, Murdock, Howitzer and Gadget. It's rare, but I have no attraction to melee heroes right now.
    It replenishes slowly, but you can speed it up by upgrading your hero with an energy regen card, using an energy potion, or having the blue buff. Usually when you're low on energy you go back to the base because it fills up your health and energy. If you find yourself running out of energy all the time you may be using your skills too much.

Naw I like almost never used any skills cause I never had energy lol.
  • regulateregulate Bruv of bruvs Joined: Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited March 2016
    edit: lol not paying for a beta.
    Post edited by regulate on
    Never forget:
    Boel wrote: »
    phantom angel the kinda guy that eats a roll of dental floss so that he can slowly come to a shuddering climax as he pulls it out his ass

Well it's gonna be free in the summer anyway.

I'm not liking how carries and physicals are the only heroes that can do damage in this game. Mages are pretty shit right now as soon as it hits mid and late game. You can build full damage against a carry who has absolutely no defensive items, hit him with your entire kit + ultimate and not even get 50% of his life while he two shots you in seconds. Or a Grux dives you and theres literally nothing you can do to not die, there's no way to out play him because you do peanuts to him. Mages are in serious need of scaling buffs right now.
    Yep, that. ^^^

I'm not overly concerned since it is still in the Alpha stage, but they've got a lot fixing to do and it needs to start w/ mobility. They clearly went overboard when designing a lot of the melee kits.
    grux is SS tier right now so getting stomped by him is sorta expected lol. he is unfuckwitable without the whole team CCing and focusing him and that passive is definitely getting nerfed.

he's easier to handle once you have some of the better cards like stasis or blink, or you could even try something like bruiser gideon/murdoch with the right cards.

epic does plan to let you directly buy specific cards instead of praying they show up in your card packs.
    I'm gonna main Twinblast for the time being - I love his versatility and the creative ways to take advantage of his skillset. Murdoch and Sparrow are dope too, just not as fun.

Would love to group up with folks. Drop your PSNs.
    edited March 2016
    Folks on the Epic forums are complaining that melee characters are too weak.

a1162c4595a2e1449bee3697269a085b.gif
    Yeah I love how they're complaing that they can't just dive a whole team, mash on attack, kill a few people and walk out unscathed.
    As a Twinblast main you may find this interesting.

edited April 2016
    As a Twinblast main you may find this interesting.

Yea, that's dope. Good look. Loving Twinblast, but I need Impact Hammer. Every dominant TB I come up against has a IH and I get rocked. Other than that, I think my deck(s) are coming along decent.

Getting a bit frustrated w/ these random teams though. I see someone getting pushed back a bit, so I come up from the side or behind to outflank for a gank - teammate takes the opportunity to run.

Overall, I still suck but I'm getting better. I need to learn the map much better, so that I can anticipate where ganks are gonna come from. I play a naturally an aggressive style, so when I due get ganked it's usually do to me taking that one step forward instead of backward.
    Post edited by CTG on
    edited April 2016
    the instant camp clear is doable by a lot of the cast. TB and muriel are the notable ones (as they also happen to be best in their role).

double jungle is common (and the extreme variant of it, 5 man deathball) at higher levels because two people means twice as many chances to land the instant kill, cXP is the same regardless of how many people you have sharing it (i believe exp is affected, but not by enough to matter in groups of 3 or less), faster jungle clears means more opportunities to do the instant kill (because you go through camps faster than they respawn), orb prime can be threatened as soon as it spawns, and double jungling widely expands the pool of jungle-capable heroes.
    Yeah I even managed to do instant clear with Steel's Charge. Hitting the camps as they drop in seems to be the trigger. It's just easier with TB, Muriel, and Gadget because they have explosive domes.

5 man jungle should be getting nerfed eventually because it ruins the game. Just turns the game into a Brawler.
    Murdoch too OP late game. I think he can two-shot any ranged character after the 15-20 minute mark.

Played a game yesterday against an obvious clan or at least a group that was using voice chat. Couldn't cross to their side of the map on a push w/o their Feng jumping you from behind and completely dominating you. Tried to rally the guys on my side, but they were happy being lone wolves. Guess how that turned out. For matchmaking, they need to prioritize matching pre-mades against each other, it's just too much of an advantage w/ the lack of in-game voice chat right now. An RT w/ no VC isn't going beat a good pre-made and even worse it's going to be a horrible experience.

After playing against a lot of Sevarogs this weekend, I think his overall kit is fine. However he greatly benefits from the inability for ranged classes to create space once a melee is on them.
    Iggy & Scorch datamined
    https://www.reddit.com/r/paragon/comments/4cuo32/iggy_scorch_ability_set_preview_datamined/
    I was poking around the game's data and noticed they added more info on Iggy & Scorch abilities in the Sevarog build. Since it's the next hero I thought ya'll might want to see :). My stat parsing isn't ready yet, so any values in the descriptions will show as {x}, as well it's not clear yet which of the abilities will be bound to RMB/Q/E.

DISCLAIMER: Datamined information for unreleased content can change, take it with a grain of salt.

Ignite (Passive)
    • Scorch can apply an Oil effect to enemies that causes Iggy's Fire to apply Burn.

Basic Attack
    • Deals {x} Energy Damage and leaves a pool of fire on the ground where it lands that applies Burn. Leveling the ability makes the ground fires last longer

Oil Trap
    • Scorch spits out an oil blob that applies Oil and deals {x} Energy Damage and applies Burn when ignited by Fire.

Oil Trail
    • Scorch gains {x} movement speed and leaves a trail behind him that applies Oil. The trail can be ignited with Fire to apply Burn.

Flame Turret
    • Iggy throws out a turret that deals {x} Energy damage to nearby enemies and applies Burn. Turrets prioritize enemy Heroes.

Flamethrower (Ultimate)
    • Scorch spews flames from its mouth dealing {x} Energy Damage and applying Burn. At the end of the duration Scorch belches and enemies in the cone are Knocked back.
    Muriel is ridiculously OP. Hi, I can make my teammates invincible and give them movement speed at the same time, oh and I can also turn them into a walking steel ult while making them invincible. Stupid character.
    edited April 2016
    Yea, if bans are in play for the upcoming tourney, Muriel and Murdock at the top of the list.
    Wanted to main Muriel, too. Damn :rofl:
    SWBeta wrote: »
    Wanted to main Muriel, too. Damn :rofl:

Do it. She's amazing but she def needs a nerf. Main heroes that need to get nerfed are Muriel, Rampage, and Murdock. Rampage for the fact that he's basically zero risk and pretty much unkillable, building full damage and still tanky as fuck. What? Solo backdooring towers. What?

Kallari doesn't seem to be in favour right now but pair that bitch with Muriel and she dives in, nukes your carries while being invincible then gets out with her amazing escapes. That pair is top tier.
    This is why Muriel is retarded. Watch my HP throughout this entire engagement.

lol that steel missing everything.

kallari supposedly has really crazy ratios on her skills and can snowball really wildly out of control, but her ult is pretty inconsistent on hit detection (and she absolutely depends on killing or at least 80%ing you with it) so a lot of good kallaris just play grux instead.
    Been noticing quite a few Howitzers the past few days.

I'm also tempted to take Steel for a run. I love playing TB, but I feel like a point guard - I setup a ton of kills and get the assists. I've had games w/ like 4 kills and 16 assists, which is dope - but sometimes I just want the kill. I feel like until I get Impact Hammer to drop for me, I'll be running CP3 style PG. Hopefully when that Impact Hammer drops, I can play more of a Russell Westbrook style - kills and assists all day.
    i've always believed howitzer is a lot better than the bottom tier placing most people give him. gadget too. they're just a lot harder to play effectively.

by the way, gadget is currently bugged and throws two sticky bombs instead of one. if you see more of her, that's why.
    I love how everyone is crying to get Murdock nerfed when Sparrow is the best carry in the game. Gonna be funny when he gets nerfed and Sparrow gets even stronger as a result.
    I love how everyone is crying to get Murdock nerfed when Sparrow is the best carry in the game. Gonna be funny when he gets nerfed and Sparrow gets even stronger as a result.

I think less people complain about Sparrow b/c at this point most folks are playing using matchmaking and she doesn't have any type of escape. On a pre-made that knows what they're doing, she's basically unstoppable right now.
    edited April 2016
    Yeah, they just look at the one time they got one shorted by a fed Murdock who had Damage buff and Prime Orb and shout out OP without looking at the entire picture. Sure Murdock hits hard but Sparrow hits just as hard, crits YOUR ENTIRE TEAM in 2 seconds and doesnt have to worry about missing shots while gaining increased damage per shot. Let's not even talk about how strong her push is, or her ability to root far away targets, or her ability to deny areas and pathways from people in travel mode.

Anyway, Feng Mao is quickly becoming one of my favorite heroes to play. His kit is so well thought out and fun to use. I never played him pre-nerf and it's funny because I am destroying people with him. I can only imagine how herp derp he was before.

Another thing I've noticed is that people really haven't got a hang on how to build yet and gimp themselves by building 12 point cards at the start of the game. By the time they've finished that card I'm about to start on my third card while still having pots and wards. I may not do 250 damage per shot but I've already got my 50% crit bonus and a 40% chance to crit. Shit is hilarious when someone gets hit with that early crit and their life just disappears.
    Post edited by GomuGomu on
    Yeah, they just look at the one time they got one shorted by a fed Murdock who had Damage buff and Prime Orb and shout out OP without looking at the entire picture. Sure Murdock hits hard but Sparrow hits just as hard, crits YOUR ENTIRE TEAM in 2 seconds and doesnt have to worry about missing shots while gaining increased damage per shot. Let's not even talk about how strong her push is, or her ability to root far away targets, or her ability to deny areas and pathways from people in travel mode.

Anyway, Feng Mao is quickly becoming one of my favorite heroes to play. His kit is so well thought out and fun to use. I never played him pre-nerf and it's funny because I am destroying people with him. I can only imagine how herp derp he was before.

Another thing I've noticed is that people really haven't got a hang on how to build yet and gimp themselves by building 12 point cards at the start of the game. By the time they've finished that card I'm about to start on my third card while still having pots and wards. I may not do 250 damage per shot but I've already got my 50% crit bonus and a 40% chance to crit. Shit is hilarious when someone gets hit with that early crit and their life just disappears.

I actually realized that this past weekend. From all the starter guides I read, it was best to build up a card before adding another. I decided to try going to a second a lot earlier and the difference was immediately noticeable. I really need to some Major Guard cards if they exist. My Tempered Plate is basically useless w/o it.
    it's one of the good points of the card system, your characters' power spikes and troughs are determined more by your deck than by the character's actual kit. (or you can put five impact hammers in your deck and have a power curve that's completely smooth)

it's probably going to get rebalanced before the game goes live though, something like a bonus (or penalty) to the completion bonus based on how much CP is spent completing an item. getting basically an infinity edge for 6 CP is too good lol.
  • KowtowRobinsonKowtowRobinson TEBOW! TEBOW! TEBOW! Joined: Posts: 6,415
    Played this a few times, it looks like it has a lot of promise. My tolerance level for solo queueing MOBAs has officially dropped to zero at this point though. If this had come out right after Dawngate died, I'd probably have gone in harder. As it stands now SF5 is out, Dark Souls 3 is out, Overwatch is on the way. Just haven't found a reason to invest in another MOBA grind right now, especially when I'm not a huge fan of the card system.

Won most of the Sparrow games I played until the last couple times, played with friends of mine who just aren't into MOBAs much and only tried it because it was from Epic. Maybe you guys can sell me on another run at this.
    edited April 2016
    Played this a few times, it looks like it has a lot of promise. My tolerance level for solo queueing MOBAs has officially dropped to zero at this point though. If this had come out right after Dawngate died, I'd probably have gone in harder. As it stands now SF5 is out, Dark Souls 3 is out, Overwatch is on the way. Just haven't found a reason to invest in another MOBA grind right now, especially when I'm not a huge fan of the card system.

Won most of the Sparrow games I played until the last couple times, played with friends of mine who just aren't into MOBAs much and only tried it because it was from Epic. Maybe you guys can sell me on another run at this.

If you're like me and solo queuing then the only reason to play is to get familiar with heroes and builds that interest you. More and more premades are starting to appear and winning goes out the window. I personally don't trust a match made team to a) work together and b) understand basic MOBA strategic theories, etc. I've had way too many teammates try to save a tower by jumping in head first 1v3 before the rest can get there to expect anything different.

I love the card system w/ the exception of the random drops. I currently can't compete late game w/ an opposing TB who has Impact Hammer. It's his strongest card and just hasn't dropped for me yet. Whether that's a problem w/ the card or the system is up for debate.

Movement and movement abilities are the game's biggest issues though. I like the current default movement since this is a MOBA, but I do wonder whether speeding the game up and giving towers more XP health would be better. There's something about being forced to move so slow in a third-person perspective that I understand can be annoying and less appealing to a lot of players.

Then there's melee movement abilities that are ridiculous. The advantage in playing a ranged character is that you can do your thing from afar and have a few tools to keep it that way. The advantage to melee is that once you get inside those defenses, you can destroy any ranged character. The problem comes in that it's way too easy for a melee to get in on ranged. They currently either have more abilities to close distance than ranged have to widen it and in other cases melee just laugh at what you do have available. The amount of options need to be equal on both sides so that the chess match can take place.