The New Mutants: Official Thread

Dangerous JDangerous J Clinicals now!!Joined: Posts: 9,956 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
edited April 2016 in General Discussion
http://www.superherohype.com/news/369849-new-mutants-cast#/slide/1
Following an update on the 20th Century Fox X-Men spinoff feature film earlier today, HitFix is reporting that three actors have already signed on to join the New Mutants cast.

The outlet claims that not only will Alexandra Shipp‘s Storm (who makes her debut in this summer’s X-Men: Apocalypse) and James McAvoy’s Professor Charles Xavier play major roles, but that Game of Thrones star Maisie Williams and The Witch star Anya Taylor-Joy will play Wolfsbane and Magick, respectively. What’s more, the report says that Cannonball, Mirage and Sunspot are all featured characters. Sunspot previously appeared in X-Men: Days of Future Past, played by Adan Canto.

Directed by The Fault in Our Stars‘ Josh Boone, New Mutants adapts the monthly comic book series of the same name that launched in 1982. Created by Chris Claremont and Bob McLeod, The New Mutants follows on a group of teenage mutants as heroes in training in the Marvel Universe.
PSN: DangerousJSRK

"There is no end to the adventures we can have,if only we seek them with our eyes open."
-Jawaharlal Nehru

Comments

• AYO?!AYO?! Strong Style Hips. Joined: Posts: 19,032
    Didn't know this was being made, I'm skeptical but considering I liked the last two X-Men films its in a more positive way.

My boy Cannonball possibly on the big screen, hope Thunderbird/Warpath gets in too.
    PSN tag: AYO_Merc, XBOne: AYO Merc, Steam: AYO_Merc.
    Lover of all things Jojo's, WRRRRY!
    New AV: Savaii64. Former AV's: Streak, LBC, Csp4here, Tuna Fish Riot, goodm0urning, and Aria.
  • Rhio2kRhio2k Senior Member Joined: Posts: 11,510 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Swear to god, they better not fuck Wolfsbane up. Been my favorite Marvel female since issue 5 hit 7-11's comics section back in the 80's.
    Roger: Well, Anita's pregnant, and-
    Cruella: Well, what can I say? Accidents will happen.
    Roger: We're having puppies, too.
    Cruella: *Gasp* Puppies!? *Leer* My, you have been a busy boy!
  • AYO?!AYO?! Strong Style Hips. Joined: Posts: 19,032
    new-mutants-700-700x305.jpg?resize=700%2C305

Team I would like it to at least be based around. Strong line up to cherry pick from.
    PSN tag: AYO_Merc, XBOne: AYO Merc, Steam: AYO_Merc.
    Lover of all things Jojo's, WRRRRY!
    New AV: Savaii64. Former AV's: Streak, LBC, Csp4here, Tuna Fish Riot, goodm0urning, and Aria.
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 25,813
    If they can keep Singer away from this, there's hope... and if McAvoy and Shipp are really on board for feature roles and not Sam Jackson once-a-season guest roles, there might actually be some solid continuity for the X-Men universe for once.

Won't shit on this...

..yet.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • WastedWasted Verbal Diarrhetic Joined: Posts: 6,035
    edited April 2016
    maxx wrote: »
    sunspot gonna get the sean treatment and be the lightest skinned brazilian on screen ever.

Lighter than Morena Baccarin?

Also, I stopped watching Fox Marvel after X3. Why is Singer now hated instead of Ratner?
    SFV: Ken, with THAT ORANGE COSTUME

I have nobody to play with, so I typically talk out of my ass.
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,314
    edited April 2016
    Negasonic was given Cannonball's powers in the Deadpool movie. They'll need to an emphasis on his flight and invincibility to separate the two.
    Post edited by Hawkingbird on
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    Negasonic was given Cannonball's powers in the Deadpool movie. They'll need to an emphasis on his flight and invincibility to separate the two.

Fixed.
  • Dangerous JDangerous J Clinicals now!! Joined: Posts: 9,956 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited May 2016
    I dont know if this is fully 100% confirmed, but since many news outlets are running with it, I 'll post it.

https://www.instagram.com/joshboonemovies/
    http://www.superherohype.com/news/373247-new-mutants-lineup-revealed-by-director
    Boone posted a number of images of the different team members, including:
    Magik, sister of Colossus and a powerful sorceress capable of teleporting;
    Wolfsbane, who can change into a Lycanthrope at will;
    Dani Moonstar aka Cheyenne/Mirage, who can visualize other’s thoughts, especially their fears;
    Cannonball, who can thrust himself and fly with an energy propulsion;
    Sunspot, who can absorb and channel solar radiation to both fly and create energy blasts; and
    Warlock,a techno-organic being capable of changing size and shapes.

Basically the O5 of the New Mutants but with Warlock substituting for Xian Coy Manh/Karma and Magik added.

"There is no end to the adventures we can have,if only we seek them with our eyes open."
    -Jawaharlal Nehru
    It's a Fox movie, not directed by Ryan Reynolds.

Not interested.

Wasted wrote: »

Not interested.

When did he ever direct a movie?

-Jawaharlal Nehru
  • The DamnedThe Damned Hope: You can't believe in it Joined: Posts: 10,781 mod
    edited May 2016
    (Man, they managed to both make Cannonball's power sound really dirty and not emphasize his invincibility while "thrusting himself".)

This lin-upe seems...weird, if only because it's weird to see Warlock so prominent with Cypher mentioned nowhere at all. As lame as Doug's powers seem to most people, given how computer-oriented things are nowadays, I'm surprised he's not in the movie even if it's just as the stereotypical Hollywood (magi-)tech guy.

I suppose it's also weird see to Warlock without getting into the whole Phalanx storyline and its horror elements as well as seeing what's presumably grown up Illyana without the Limbo-induced trauma if Magik is listed as a "powerful sorceress".

I dont know if this is fully 100% confirmed, but since many news outlets are running with it, I 'll post it.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/373247-new-mutants-lineup-revealed-by-director
    Dani Moonstar aka Cheyenne/Mirage, who can visualize other’s thoughts, especially their fears;
    Sunspot, who can absorb and channel solar radiation to both fly and create energy blasts; and

Basically the O5 of the New Mutants but with Warlock substituting for Xian Coy Manh/Karma and Magik added.

And once again, Asian people get fucked over by Hollywood.

As such, this list seems legitimate.

I can't wait until they cast a white girl as Dani for "reasons".
    Post edited by The Damned on
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."
    - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
    The Damned wrote: »
    (Man, they managed to both make Cannonball's power sound really dirty and not emphasize his invincibility while "thrusting himself".)

This line seems...weird, if only because it's weird to see Warlock so prominent with Cypher nowhere at all mentioned. As lame as Doug's powers seem to most people, given how computer-oriented things are nowadays, I'm surprised he's not in the movie just as a tech guy.

I suppose it's also weird see to Warlock without getting into the whole Phalanx storyline and its horror elements as well as seeing what's presumably grown up Illyana without the Limbo-induced trauma if Magik is listed as a "powerful sorceress".

And once again, Asian people get fucked over by Hollywood.

As such, this list seems legitimate.

I can't wait until they cast a white girl as Dani for "reasons".

Yeah, its wierd to have lock but no Doug.
    Hopefully, he can either be in a sequel.

They'll get a super mixed person who is can pass for native/hispanic like the guy who played Warpath in DOFP.

Though, I have to give them a bit of credit for Wolverine 2.
    90% of the main Japanese characters were still Japanese, barring Harada as he was played by Will Yun Lee (Korean IIRC).

-Jawaharlal Nehru
  • dab00gdab00g Joined: Posts: 20,789
    Rhio2k wrote: »
    Swear to god, they better not fuck Wolfsbane up. Been my favorite Marvel female since issue 5 hit 7-11's comics section back in the 80's.

Marvel started you on your path to furries. Riff raff's gf pushed you over the edge
    Wasted wrote: »

Not interested.

When did he ever direct a movie?

Well shit, I thought he directed Deadpool, too.

Read that as "backed" instead.

-Jawaharlal Nehru
    That could work.
    edited December 2016
    http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2016/12/06/x-men-de-retour-a-montreal

An X-men movie will film in Montreal for the third time.
    While DOFP and XMApoc filmed there and the article says the 7th film, it seems that the film is more likely to be NM.

-Jawaharlal Nehru
    edited December 2016
    https://www.comicbookmovie.com/x-men/the-official-title-of-the-new-mutants-movie-and-its-production-start-date-a147544

Official Title is: X-men: The New Mutants

It will begin filming in Montreal starting May 2017 for a 2018 release.

Director Josh Boone's comments:
    "We had loved Bill Sienkiewicz’s run with Chris Claremont that had Demon Bear. It was really dark, interesting, and different from the typical X-Men stories that we had read. After I made The Fault in Our Stars, we made Fox a comic book. It walked them through a trilogy of New Mutant films that would build on each other. We used this program called Comic Life, and took all the images we had loved from the series and strung them together to show them the movie we wanted to do. We brought it to Simon and he really liked it.

We’ve been going for the past year and a half to get it ready, and I’m about to go location scout and we have a release date now."

-Jawaharlal Nehru
  • DGod205DGod205 The Soul of Kyokugenryu Joined: Posts: 2,481
    All I know is that they better not fuck up Magik, Mirage and Cannonball. Fox already fucked up Cyclops and Rogue, they could at least get Magik's character right.
    CvS2-Ken Joe Geese
    MvC2- Guile Gambit Jin---OR---Cable Cyclops Sentinel
    USFIV- Ken, Poison, Rolento, Makoto, Guy, Cody
    MK9- Cage Scorpion Reptile Raiden Mileena
    TT2- Law & Heihachi
    DOA5 Ultimate- Jann Lee Hyabusa Hitomi Ayane
    VF5FS- Jacky Kage Vanessa Brad Goh
    DGod205 wrote: »
    All I know is that they better not fuck up Magik, Mirage and Cannonball. Fox already fucked up Cyclops and Rogue, they could at least get Magik's character right.

LOL Fox.

Not fuck up an X-Men property.

No Ryan Reynolds to save this one.

Disaster incoming.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
    DGod205 wrote: »

Or Wolfsbane. It's not hard to get that shit right. Take a cute chick (check!), spirit-gum fake downy hair to her face, cgi her pupils golden, paint her nose black and put quarter-inch long extension caps on her canines. There ya go. Takes less work and time to apply than Kelsey Grammar's Beast makeup or that X-2 Nightcrawler costume. She doesn't get a full-on true werewolf hybrid form until later in life. I don't expect that shit to look as awesome as the effects in movies with smaller budgets (since Marvel movies often miss the mark on easy stuff...somehow), since Rahne changes to a lesser degree in hybrid form during her stint with The New Mutants (as opposed to her just plain being a badass in X-Factor), but they should at least use their heads on this.
  • J-rideJ-ride OG Member Joined: Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I'm going to laugh if they put Warlock in this movie. I just want to see someone try and make him work with real life actors.
    Woman was created for our destruction, and it is from her we inherit all of our miseries.

Aramis from The Three Musketeers
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,507 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited December 2016
    Blah
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
    J-ride wrote: »
    I'm going to laugh if they put Warlock in this movie. I just want to see someone try and make him work with real life actors.

Jim Carrey, natch.

-Jawaharlal Nehru
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/x-men-new-mutants-movie-casts-anya-taylor-joy-maisie-williams-1002743

CONFIRMED: Anya Taylor Joy will star as Magik and Maisie Williams will be Wolfsbane.

-Jawaharlal Nehru
    edited May 25
    Some cool yet random casting news...

Rosario Dawson to play X-men character Dr. Cecilia Reyes

Marvel/DC/Fox.. Rosario is playing all sides lol

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/x-men-spinoff-new-mutants-cast-rosario-dawson-talks-star-1003192

Dawson will play Dr. Cecilia Reyes, a medical doctor who has the ability to generate a protective bio-field around herself. The character assumes a mentor role for the group of fledgling heroes. (Last year, speculation surfaced that James McAvoy would return as mentor Professor X and that Alexandra Shipp would return as mentor figure Storm, but those characters are not in the script, according to sources, and the actors are not slated to appear in the movie.)

-Jawaharlal Nehru
    http://www.superherohype.com/news/398265-new-mutants-cast-adds-stranger-things-star-charlie-heaton#/slide/1

Cannonball has been cast!

gettyimages-683092712_-_h_2017.jpg
    Hollywood Reporter, 20th Century Fox’s The New Mutants cast has added actor Charlie Heaton (Stranger Things, Shut In) to play Cannonball, a role previously eyed for Nat Wolff. The mutant has the ability to fly at intense speeds while protected inside a force field.

-Jawaharlal Nehru
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/foxs-new-mutants-casts-newcomer-blu-hunt-danielle-moonstar-role-1009703
    Blu Hunt, a relative newcomer who appeared in a handful of episodes of The Originals, has nabbed the lead role of Danielle Moonstar, the Native American telepath, in Josh Boone’s X-Men spinoff, New Mutants.

-Jawaharlal Nehru
    Well, after the Sunspot fiasco, at least they found someone matching their character's race.

edited June 2
    Moonstar is a cutie.
  • CTGCTG Army of Zero Joined: Posts: 6,167
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/foxs-new-mutants-casts-newcomer-blu-hunt-danielle-moonstar-role-1009703
    Blu Hunt, a relative newcomer who appeared in a handful of episodes of The Originals, has nabbed the lead role of Danielle Moonstar, the Native American telepath, in Josh Boone’s X-Men spinoff, New Mutants.

I've never watched the Originals so I don't know if the photo is just washed. If it's not, they found they whitest Native American I've ever seen.
    CTG wrote: »

I've never watched the Originals so I don't know if the photo is just washed. If it's not, they found they whitest Native American I've ever seen.

Im not familar with the actress, but its probably image modification or lighting
    17333594_407853892905266_378237244110012416_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTQ3MjcxMDcwMDE2MDgwOTI0OA%3D%3D.2
    13652141_1255050451186574_486856346_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTMyNzE4ODQ4NDQwNjIzMTM4MA%3D%3D.2

-Jawaharlal Nehru
    I thought the Henry Zaga casting was still up in the air;I usually follow superhero hype for casting stuff and they didnt have an article on it IIRC.

If true, that's incredibly disappointing.
    Im glad the actor is Brazilian, but as the only black character of the original group whose race does play an integral part in his character, its a slap in the face.

sunspot-black.jpg

-Jawaharlal Nehru

-Jawaharlal Nehru
  • dn3000dn3000 Joined: Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

Booooo .. oh welp.
    sooo i didnt know this was being filmed in massachusetts. one of the guys i train jiu jitsu with whos a fireman was talking about it. he was working on the airforce base they apparently filmed a scene for.

he said one of the last scenes involves a chick with a flaming sword flying possibly chasing a werewolf(most likely wolfsbane). Its a snowcovered scene.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    Flaming sword? Magik?
    po pimpus wrote: »
    Flaming sword? Magik?

maybe....makes me wonder if one of them turns evil maybe?

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog: