VGFC - Worlds Collide (Fan-made Fighter)

LordWilliam1234LordWilliam1234 Permanent Character CrisisJoined: Posts: 21,503
Originally posted this in the FGD Lounge, but with d3v's approval I've made this thread for it.

Been working on a fan-made fighter for a while (made using Game Maker) and finally released a playable build: VGFC - Worlds Collide.
m9KY6yV.png
Credit to @roknin for the logo, he's also working on some cover art for it but that isn't ready yet

...yeah, I'm terrible with names :rofl:

Thought you guys might enjoy it, so I'm sharing it here.

Currently lacking a lot of stuff (aside from the roster size), but it's still a WIP and I'll continue to work on improving it/adding more. Right now it has Arcade with some AI opponents, a Survival mode, training with a few options for the dummy and you can view hitboxes, and 4 versus modes:

Standard Versus (1v1)
YOLO Versus (You die in one hit, but there's no chip damage, all mechanics are enabled by default, and you have infinite meter)
Honest Versus (some may remember this from back in the scrubquotes thread, basically a mode that removes all of the "cheap" stuff that scrubs complain about)

From an older build but the premise is the same
Team Versus (3v3 fights, similar to KOF)

It also supports button and keyboard mapping and should work with pretty much any controller or Arcade Stick. Also supports custom music so you can assign your own bgm to each stage or the main menu (.mp3 or .ogg files).

Some screens:
ozuXL0i.png
zTo0nnv.png
w58qso3.png
y7MPZzM.png
sNmjiOT.png
QqbB1is.png
wZuC3oV.png

Gameplay:

The vid is from January, I've made some tweaks since then such as the addition of tech rolls. Couple of my friends playing so not the most high level stuff or anything.

Also note, boss versions of characters (God Rugal, Evil Ryu, Violent Ken, Shin Akuma, etc) are just glorified palette swaps. They have some different idle animations/win poses/taunts, but gameplay-wise they're identical to their regular counterparts.

(Credit to @Phantom Angel for the battle UI and @Smashbro29 for being the announcer)

If anyone's interested, you can find a download link for it on here:

http://vgfc-worlds-collide.herokuapp.com/

It's a wiki of sorts that I've been building for it. Still has a lot left to add though, but you can find the download link at the bottom of the home page (or click on "Download" at the top).

Let me know what you guys think. All I ask is that any criticism be more constructive than just "it's trash." :razz:
Post edited by LordWilliam1234 on
PSN/Steam/NNID/CFN: LordWilliam1234
SFV: Ed, Guile(?)
Smash 4: Toon Link
Pokken: Braixen
Guilty Gear: Ky, Dizzy
Blazblue: Kokonoe, Makoto
Smash 4 Frame Data
SFV Frame Data
SFV Combo Tier List (Season 2.1)

VGFC - Worlds Collide (Fan-made fighter made by me)

Comments

• PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 22,002 mod
    itzpookiie wrote: »
    i was like
    hey this looks pretty cool
    then i saw the pony
    no thanks

This is how you know SRK is going to be okay. :lol:
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

"Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
  • Smashbro29Smashbro29 Waiting for the new Framemeister... Joined: Posts: 7,192
    I don't like every single character choice but it's a game made by someone passionate.
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,429 mod
    I'm more interested in the effort it took to make a fighter in Game Maker.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • LordWilliam1234LordWilliam1234 Permanent Character Crisis Joined: Posts: 21,503
    d3v wrote: »

It wasn't that hard, at least the base engine wasn't. Only took me a few weeks to get that finished, Game Maker's really easy to work with (and helps that I have a better understanding of how fighters work now). The hard part was more the time it took to get all the characters done and reasonably balanced, or at least attempt to, hard to do that well when you're working by yourself and you end up making the roster size as massive as I did. Which isn't a Game Maker exclusive thing.

The real challenge though will be to see if I can get some kind of online working for it. Aside from the fact that I have zero experience or knowledge on netcode, I don't know how well Game Maker can do that (though I have seen that there's DLLs available that assist with online play so that's a plus.)
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data

• Running WildRunning Wild Rock You Like A Hurricane Joined: Posts: 3,175
    Just a shitty Mugen game but not in Mugen.
    YouTube Channel - All sorts of random vidya's of fighting games and shit.
    Stream - Watch me bad in various classic fighting games.
    RB2: Xiangfei, Cheng, Mary, Geese
  • C-SwordC-Sword Joined: Posts: 739
    How do you set the window full screen? Loading times are super long.

Can I get change the difficulty in options? I was being juggled in the air non-stop by Kazuya.

• LordWilliam1234LordWilliam1234 Permanent Character Crisis Joined: Posts: 21,503
    edited April 2016
    C-Sword wrote: »
    How do you set the window full screen? Loading times are super long.

Can I get change the difficulty in options? I was being juggled in the air non-stop by Kazuya.

Right now you press F4 to switch between fullscreen and windowed (Game Maker's default option). Probably will add an option for that to the options menu as well though.

By loading times do you mean the one when you first start the game, or the ones between matches? Unfortunately I don't think there's much I can do about the former, and tried to optimize the latter as best as I could.

I don't have difficulty settings for the AI yet, trying to hit that "sweet spot" in terms of difficulty for a harder AI and then tuning it from there. I'll see about adding something next week.
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data

• StoneDrumStoneDrum Joined: Posts: 1,096
    the honest versus seems really intriguing to me. do you have gameplay o dat?
    edited April 2016
    StoneDrum wrote: »
    the honest versus seems really intriguing to me. do you have gameplay o dat?

Yeah. It's from an older build, as you can tell from the UI, and I've made a few tweaks to it since then (e.g you can no longer be stunned in honest mode because dizzies are cheap), but it's how it generally plays out:

Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data

• d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,429 mod

It wasn't that hard, at least the base engine wasn't. Only took me a few weeks to get that finished, Game Maker's really easy to work with (and helps that I have a better understanding of how fighters work now). The hard part was more the time it took to get all the characters done and reasonably balanced, or at least attempt to, hard to do that well when you're working by yourself and you end up making the roster size as massive as I did. Which isn't a Game Maker exclusive thing.

The real challenge though will be to see if I can get some kind of online working for it. Aside from the fact that I have zero experience or knowledge on netcode, I don't know how well Game Maker can do that (though I have seen that there's DLLs available that assist with online play so that's a plus.)

Last time I worked with Game Maker was with 8 and was only to churn out shmups. Never tried making anything like a fighting game.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
    edited April 2016

Last time I worked with Game Maker was with 8 and was only to churn out shmups. Never tried making anything like a fighting game.

Yeah, Game Maker 8 is the version I'm currently using.

I'd upgrade to Studio but I don't want to spend money on another license, and I think there's probably other better engines to work with for what I want to do after this (like Unreal or Love2D). Only reason I stuck it out with Game Maker 8 to make this is because I've used it for so long and is what I'm familiar with.
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data

• rogueyoshirogueyoshi Nothing Comes Easy Joined: Posts: 1,928
    needs hitstop
    nignagnog: minority report
    nignagnog: you got punished for your future crimes
    BossG: anybody that's black already suffers under pre-crime laws
    rogueyoshi wrote: »
    needs hitstop

Do you mean more hitstop? Because I already have it (7 frames for light strength attacks, 9 frames for medium strength attacks and 11 frames for heavy strength attacks).

I originally had more than that but it felt excessive at that point.
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data

Update: released Version 1.05. Direct link is below:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/0xq5m5exgllp479/VGFC_-_Worlds_Collide_105.zip

Just replace the old .exe with this new one.

Version history: http://vgfc-worlds-collide.herokuapp.com/changes

Patch notes:
    Global Changes
    • Fixed a bug where player 2's character sprites would not load correctly in team matches if the first match is a mirror match and player 2 wins.
    • Fixed a bug where if you KO'd a character with a projectile, and the character that threw the projectile was on the last recovery frame, after the pause the character that threw the projectile would be stuck and the game would take longer to get to the next round.
    • Fixed a bug where Sonson's Ultra would use the wrong image for player 2.
    • Fixed Sakura's AI so she won't drop her combos.
    • Fixed Kazuya's AI so he won't whiff a Demon God Fist after EWGF juggles.

Character Changes

Ryu
    • Fixed a bug that caused his Hadoken to only be cancellable on one frame.

Ken
    • Fixed a bug that caused his Hadoken to only be cancellable on one frame.

Akuma
    • Fixed a bug where if you performed Tenma-Gozanku as close to the ground as possible, Akuma would be stuck in the air afterwards.

Hibiki
    • Fixed the hurtbox on the recovery frames of Standing Heavy Kick.
    • Fixed the hurtbox on the recovery frames of Foot Stab.
    • Fixed the pushbox on a frame of Crouching Heavy Punch being set too high.

Megaman
    • Fixed the effect on his Laser Upper so it doesn't detach from his arm.
    • Fixed the hurtbox on the recovery frames of Laser Upper.
    • Fixed the hurtbox on his Mine Launch.

Plan for next week: AI difficulty settings and a couple more options added to the options menu. And of course more bug fixes if any other issues are found.
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data

• just5moreminutesjust5moreminutes Eagle will return Joined: Posts: 7,735
    Are you considering adding more characters? Adding Cody to complete the Guy/Haggar/Cody trio would be dope.
    edited April 2016
    Are you considering adding more characters? Adding Cody to complete the Guy/Haggar/Cody trio would be dope.

Probably not, the roster is already oversized as it is at 72. If I were to add any more, it'd have to be someone who really adds something unique to the game. Cody, as much as I like him as a character, I don't think really adds anything new, at least not with his Alpha 3 counterpart (Terry pretty much already has his job covered AFAIK, if Cody's A3 version is anything like how he is in SF4).
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data

Update: released Version 1.06. Direct link is below:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/2sueenksz9m0888/VGFC_-_Worlds_Collide_106.zip

Just replace the old .exe file with this new one.

Patch notes:
    Global Fixes/Changes:
    • Added AI difficulty settings to the options menu. (Hidden bosses will only appear if you play Arcade on Hard or Hardest)
    • AI opponents will now occasionally attempt a roll as a reversal.
    • Added Lucario, Yang, and Blaziken as AI opponents.
    • Added more attacks to the final boss.
    • Added an option to enable or disable fullscreen in the options menu. F4 still works as a shortcut.
    • Made some fixes to the EX and final boss effects.
    • Fixed a small memory leak; the game would load the music for the final boss twice if you had the music set to custom without freeing the memory first.
    • Fixed a bug where the AI would walk at double speed if more than one projectile was on-screen.
    • Fixed a bug where the final boss would sometimes summon more than one bear at a time.

Character Fixes/Changes:

Megaman:
    • Drill run: Hitstun reduced by 2 frames, now +3 on hit. Pushback in the corner increased.

Rock:
    • Fixed a bug where his Ultra on whiff would cause an error message.

Yun:
    • Fixed a bug with his palm that would cause an error message.

Plan for next week: add more AI opponents and UI options, training mode improvements.
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data

• PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,469
    edited May 2016
    itzpookiie wrote: »
    i was like
    hey this looks pretty cool
    then i saw the pony
    no thanks

Same minus the first two lines.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

• Yuri_AcTNYuri_AcTN All the best things are collectives. Joined: Posts: 1,147
    Letting a pony stop you from playing a fighting game.
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,469
    edited May 2016
    >Not demanding Pony apartheid

GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

Don't have an update this week, but I do have a short demo of a new single-player mode I'm working on:

...this is gonna take quite a while to finish though, so I'll continue working on improving things alongside developing this. Along with a few training mode improvements, hoping to have a basic Survival mode (along with more AI opponents) added next week.

Should also take a look at other games and see what other kind of fun extras I can add in...
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data

• AkiroAkiro Joined: Posts: 63
    Ctrl + F "Mugen"
    Akiro wrote: »
    Ctrl + F "Mugen"

Except it's not.
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data

• bchan009bchan009 Joined: Posts: 768
    edited May 2016
    You've already gone through the trouble of making a working engine -- why not go all the way and make an original game?

Good work though - my own GM:S game engine isn't far behind ;)
    Check out my work!

MY WIP FIGHTING GAME

TUMBLR | hk-5.net
    YOUTUBE | youtube.com/user/bchan009
    TWITTER | twitter.com/bchan009

bchan009 wrote: »
    You've already gone through the trouble of making a working engine -- why not go all the way and make an original game?

Mostly a lack of original assets. Don't really know anyone who can help me on that front (nor can I currently afford it).

That and I'm still really inexperienced when it comes to design, or just building fighters in general, so I figured that this could help me learn a lot before jumping in with a full original game. Granted it's a bit difficult to see what can be improved with limited feedback...
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data

edited May 2016
    Update: released version 1.07. Direct link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/12z4e7zj28aht8e/VGFC_-_Worlds_Collide_107.zip

Just replace the old .exe file with this new one.

Patch notes:
    Global Fixes/Changes:
    • Added a pause menu to training mode with options for enabling/disabling hurtboxes and running the game in slow-mo. Also added a few options for the training dummy.
    • Changed the character select in training to be completely controlled by player 1.
    • When you go into training mode, you can move the characters as soon as it starts rather than waiting for character entrances to finish.
    • Added UI options to the victory screen in both Arcade mode and Versus, for continuing/rematching or quitting/returning to character select.
    • Versus screen and the credits screen will automatically proceed to the next part after a certain period of time.
    • Added a basic Survival mode. Infinite rounds, you get a small health boost at the end of each round. Every 10 rounds you fight a boss and the difficulty increases slightly (though the boss characters won’t have the powered up moves like they do in Arcade mode). The game also saves your records for each character in a new .ini file (this is created by the game if the file doesn’t exist).
    • Fixed trades to cause hit-freeze equal to whichever move that connected has the higher amount, rather than defaulting to whatever amount of hit-freeze player 1’s attack had.
    • Fixed an issue where you wouldn’t guard in the right direction on the first frame of wake-up if the opponent was crossing over you.
    • Fixed an issue where if you tech rolled, or rolled on wake-up, your stun/guard wouldn’t decrease properly.
    • Made it so that if you X-Counter or just defend, your guard and stun meter start decreasing immediately, similar to when you parry.
    • Fixed an issue where if you trade with projectiles, and only one of the players is KO’d as a result, there would be an error message after the KO screen.
    • Fixed an issue with Ryo’s AI that would cause an error message when doing a corner combo.
    • Adjusted Dudley’s, Sakura’s, and Blaziken’s AI so they’ll do certain combos more consistently.
    • Adjusted Dan’s AI so he won’t cancel out of a standing heavy punch before it connects.
    • Adjusted Jin’s AI so he will properly use far light kick when counter-poking instead of close light kick.
    • AI will now quickstand if they can when they’re knocked down. The higher the difficulty the more likely they will quickstand.
    • Adjusted the frequency the AI blocks based on difficulty.
    • AI will now sometimes neutral jump at a certain range if you try to grab them.
    • Added Yun as an AI opponent.

Character Fixes/Changes:

Sakura:
    • Fixed her Dodge Attack/X-Counter not working properly.

Athena:
    • Fixed the grab effect not mirroring properly when performing a back throw.

Zangief:
    • Spinning Piledriver: Reduced the range on the light and heavy versions.

Light:

hcblp-cdbf982690ea29c055edb3df64d872e1057b3754968bb8fca7d12b51e4fdc383.png
    hcblp107-9e1504ee700c9eff160639eaf62c78581fff6a0134a55bd948d4316e9126732c.png

Heavy:

hcbhp-0eca778524385a6528131e9969c8aa6411eea398ec6425f538b46d1983471eee.png
    hcbhp107-3c005311ada8cedf8ab5d73a694f9e543a8e2e041509187987f6620fda6997e3.png

Quick video:

Plans for next week: Not sure what I'll have ready by then or what to do exactly. Right now just thinking of other stuff to put in, like unlockable extras (not characters, just extra stuff like maybe artwork or something)
    Post edited by LordWilliam1234 on
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data

Got a problem launching --

"ERROR in
    action number 1
    of Create Event
    for object obj_global_variable_cntrllr:

Error defining an external function."

Looks like the method you're using to check for controller input doesn't like something about my system. =(
    Check out my work!

MY WIP FIGHTING GAME

TUMBLR | hk-5.net

"ERROR in
    action number 1
    of Create Event

Looks like the method you're using to check for controller input doesn't like something about my system. =(

Just to eliminate other possible issues, you downloaded the full VGFC - Worlds Collide zip file and extracted everything, right? That same error message you mentioned pops up if you're trying to run the game in the .zip file or if you try to run the game with the .dlls not in the same directory as the .exe file (like if you only downloaded the 107 folder and tried to run the game from there).
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data

"ERROR in
    action number 1
    of Create Event

Just to eliminate other possible issues, you downloaded the full VGFC - Worlds Collide zip file and extracted everything, right? That same error message you mentioned pops up if you're trying to run the game in the .zip file or if you try to run the game with the .dlls not in the same directory as the .exe file (like if you only downloaded the 107 folder and tried to run the game from there).

Oh my mistake. I didn't notice that the latest version zip only includes the .exe, and none of the resources. Should probably make that more clear when you make update posts. x_x
    Check out my work!

MY WIP FIGHTING GAME

TUMBLR | hk-5.net

Update: released version 1.08. Direct link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/fj2lcjs22o1whuk/VGFC_-_Worlds_Collide_108_%28Update%29.zip

Just replace the old .exe with this new one.

In addition to that, due to what this new update adds, you can also download this new "Extras" file:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/1pasa6lcl86um7j/VGFC_Extras.zip

Place the contents of this file into the directory where you have VGFC stored (so that the .ini files are in the same directory as the .exe where you have the game) and you should be good to go. A new "extras" option will appear in the main menu when you boot up the game in 1.08 if you did it correctly.

Patch notes:
    Global Fixes/Changes:
    • Changed Squall’s portrait.
    • Fixed Survival Mode overwriting your best score with a character even if that score is lower than your best.
    • Fixed drawing the stage in Survival mode over the background during certain cinematic supers/ultras.
    • Added unlockable artwork; unlock over 400 different pieces for playing Arcade or Survival.
    • Added Rugal, Applejack, Iori, and Akuma as CPU opponents, as well as their boss versions. Mario was also added as a CPU opponent.
    • Adjusted the frequency that the AI blocks based on difficulty.
    • Adjusted how the AI reacts to certain projectiles.

Character Fixes/Changes:

Athena:
    • First hit of lift kicks causes a knockdown vs airborne.

Applejack:
    • Fixed Applequake/Hyperquake on block.
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data

I think things are pretty nice so far. You seem to have the basic stuff all down -- but I think it'll be hard to attract people past this point because it's basically a custom version of a MUGEN mash-up with more/cooler features. I think it's good though. =)

Is there a way to mitigate the massive load at the beginning of the game? Even on a beefy system with SSD and 16GB of RAM it still loads quite slowly.

I think maybe you might benefit from a nicer UI too. Making your menus and stuff look slick would really take things to the next level.

Side note -- I notice when people get hit by tatsu they just fall down, unlike in real SF games they get sent flying in a certain direction first. It's a little weird looking.
    Check out my work!

MY WIP FIGHTING GAME

TUMBLR | hk-5.net

edited June 2016
    Is there a way to mitigate the massive load at the beginning of the game? Even on a beefy system with SSD and 16GB of RAM it still loads quite slowly.

Unfortunately, no. I've done my best to cut down on that but right now that's the best I can do.

Only way I'd be able to cut down on the load times would be if there was some way for me to save timelines and scripts outside of the game and load them in when needed, but I don't think there's any way to do that and any tools I've found related to that appear way outdated/don't exist anymore.
    I think maybe you might benefit from a nicer UI too. Making your menus and stuff look slick would really take things to the next level.

I'd like to but I'm no good with UI design (or anything graphics related really), I'd need someone else's help on that front...
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data

Unfortunately, no. I've done my best to cut down on that but right now that's the best I can do.

Only way I'd be able to cut down on the load times would be if there was some way for me to save timelines and scripts outside of the game and load them in when needed, but I don't think there's any way to do that and any tools I've found related to that appear way outdated/don't exist anymore.

I'd like to but I'm no good with UI design (or anything graphics related really), I'd need someone else's help on that front...

Mmm this worries me a bit. I'm using a newer version of Gamemaker than you but I'm beginning to wonder if scaling is going to be an issue with load times like that...

What are you using timelines for?

Check out my work!

MY WIP FIGHTING GAME

TUMBLR | hk-5.net

What are you using timelines for?

The character's moves as well as stuff like grab animations. Lets me have full control over things on a frame-by-frame basis.
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data

Hmm...I've implemented hitboxes and hurtboxes recently. I'll get back to you if I come up with a good way around this without using timelines. Might be able to make your life a little easier.
    Check out my work!

MY WIP FIGHTING GAME

TUMBLR | hk-5.net

So looks like I'll be able to implement some form of netplay after all. The bad news is that I can't get around requiring people to port forward when hosting and entering in IP addresses when joining (on top of the netcode probably being input delay based, far too late for rollback at this point). But it's better than no online play at all, I suppose.

I'll be focusing on seeing about getting that working for the forseeable future. I'll have a smaller update this weekend (focused mostly on a couple of training mode additions and bug fixes) with the next major update after this being the addition of the online. Any updates after that will probably be focused on balance and netcode improvements.
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data

How's it going so far?

I myself have started to pick up Unity. Though I like Gamemaker a lot I think it's finally time to move on to Unity/C#. =[
    Check out my work!

MY WIP FIGHTING GAME

TUMBLR | hk-5.net

Been having trouble figuring the netcode part out. Even with input delay it's annoying to get it right.

I did add a bunch of new stages and working on more AI opponents in the meantime though. Dunno when I'll have the next update out.

Also working on making a new engine using Unreal (which can hopefully lead to a full original fighter in the future), but that's not gonna be ready for quite some time.
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data