Shin Megami Tensei / Persona Series: General Discussion

ChiroChiro Not actually pronounced cheeroJoined: Posts: 1,547
edited January 16 in General Discussion
The SMT brand or should i say style if i want to be more accurate is going strong and now they got two more projects in the works one for the 3DS and another for the Nintendo Switch along with Persona 5 which is reaching slowly to its western release date. as always discuss your hardest fights, best fusions, whose the best waifu, and how much Matador can go fuck himself in the comments below.

im just going to give a brief description for each game coming out cause if i wrote down every single detail i could find about the games id spoil the shit out of myself and be here all day. im going to leave up Persona 5 since it still hasn't released in the west but im making room for our two mystery products.

Persona 5
Persona 5 is the new upcoming game of the now famous series and will be looking to freshen things up by injecting heavy amounts of style the series with it's unique level design, platform and stealth using gameplay, as well as the dual lives of the protagonists being students by day and phantom thieves by night.

Its already been released in Japan to great reviews and now were just waiting in the west for its April 4 release date.

25th Anniversary Projects

http://shin-megamitensei.jp/

its unknown what these two maybe but since this is related to an anniversary it wouldn't hurt to think maybe one of them is a remake of sort. its also interesting to note that while the 3DS project is labeled as such the one appearing on the Switch is labeled as HD which may indicate it may not be an exclusive.
Post edited by Chiro on

Comments

• Phantom AngelPhantom Angel The Divine One™ Joined: Posts: 26,853
    edited May 2016
    Let me start this thread off right....

tumblr_n8vmdap3z51sljf7do3_500.gif
    tumblr_n8vmdap3z51sljf7do2_500.gif
    tumblr_n8vmdap3z51sljf7do1_500.gif

latest?cb=20140724141237
    "Old enough to know better, Young enough to not give a fuck"

R.I.P. YusukeUrameshi aka Yusuke_The_Detective
  • GespenstRitterGespenstRitter 「THE SHOW'S OVER」 Joined: Posts: 2,917
    Phantom, as usual displaying the worst taste.
    "You either love my motion controls...or die."  Shigeru Miyamoto
  • ChiroChiro Not actually pronounced cheero Joined: Posts: 1,547
    edited May 2016
    that's a funny joke
    P4U-Site-Update_11-21-11_005.png

but no, seriously
    1790919-demifiend.jpg
    Phantom, as usual displaying the worst taste.

Talks about taste.........Doesn't share his own

Keep hatin'
    latest?cb=20140724141237

• HawkingbirdHawkingbird Crack is back! Joined: Posts: 24,116
    @Chiro
    You mind using the full title of SMT for the thread name? Just to make it easier to find this thread when using the search function.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    SFV Lounge discord: https://discord.gg/Tp23Ccr
    @Chiro
    You mind using the full title of SMT for the thread name? Just to make it easier to find this thread when using the search function.

yall are more than welcome to suggest full alternatives. i spent half the time just coming up for a title this thing and would gladly change it if i could find something that doesn't seem to long, sterile, and included that the spinoffs are discussed here as well.
    Chiro wrote: »
    @Chiro

yall are more than welcome to suggest full alternatives. i spent half the time just coming up for a title this thing and would gladly change it if i could find something that doesn't seem to long, sterile, and included that the spinoffs are discussed here as well.

I'm just asking for the thread title to say Shin Megami Tensei somewhere on it. It would be easier to search for when this thread ends up lost.
    edited May 2016
    You could just use Shin Megami Tensei / Persona Series: General Discussion

Edit: Forgot the sig
    latest?cb=20140724141237
    Post edited by Phantom Angel on

You could just use Shin Megami Tensei / Persona Series: General Discussion

fuck it ill go with that. not like i really care about that other one much or that anymore seem to be coming out soon.
    I'm heavily looking forward to Tokyo Mirage Sessions. It looks like a standard SMT game with it's mythology swapped for Fire Emblem's.
    Standard SMT games don't deal with idols in an unironic, non-deconstructive manner.
  • Jack_FrostJack_Frost M.C Joined: Posts: 6,309
    Can SWbeta be banned from this thread?

just in case
    There aren't 50 hours in a 5 day span...
    CRYING
    Standard SMT games don't deal with idols in an unironic, non-deconstructive manner.

I take it you played Persona 4: Dancing All Night.
    No, I don't have a Vita.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions only resembles an SMT game in the fact that people are summoning things and casting Bufu and Dia. I don't see any traces of the series' trademark analysis of the human condition, or any elements of genre deconstruction.
    edited May 2016
    Is that why the acronym is backwards?
    latest?cb=20140724141237

No, I don't have a Vita.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions only resembles an SMT game in the fact that people are summoning things and casting Bufu and Dia. I don't see any traces of the series' trademark analysis of the human condition, or any elements of genre deconstruction.

I asked because Dancing All Night brutally deconstructs Japan's entertainment industry and idols. That game provides the plot you want TMS to have.
    No, I don't have a Vita.

I asked because Dancing All Night brutally deconstructs Japan's entertainment industry and idols. That game provides the plot you want TMS to have.

Well, that's kind of the point I was getting at. I already know that Dancing All Night does that, as did Rise's subarc did in P4 to a smaller extent. Even when SMT games have high school protagonists and a lighter feel, they still tackle some pretty heavy subject matter. The inevitability of death, owning up to the worst parts of yourself, what the world would really be like if humans suddenly gained control of captureable and trainable monsters, etc.

TMS has none of that. It's supposed to be a mix of SMT and FE, but has almost zero elements of either. A complete waste of potential.
    edited May 2016
    so i was a little dissapointed that we didn't get anouther male P5 character then i remembered A. we got one last time and B. there's this mysterious guy on the cover and his face is mysteriously obscured for all the pre-order costumes and the trailer

P5-Dated-Sept-15-JP_002.jpg
    Post edited by Chiro on
  • DrellyFishDrellyFish Joined: Posts: 4,182
    This should end up being one of my fave threads. So what SMT games have you all played/beaten?

Ive only finished p3&p4 image_<" alt=">_<" />. I got Digital Devil Saga on hiatus. Im close to the end i believe but the last boss I fought+knowing I gotta do some mega grinding fatigued me.

Currently playing P2: innocent and ive played P1 and Devil Survivor 2 as well.

Once my shift at work changes Im gonna try to consume myself in SMT more. 3 titles droppin this year so I wamna be caught up and build my SMT resume a bit more
    edited May 2016
    I haven't played any of the SMT games, really. I beat P4G and got like half way through P3P. Need to get on the rest of the series.
    latest?cb=20140724141237

• ExposedDExposedD I am thou Joined: Posts: 6,088
    uhhh... so what are the chances of that being the P3 protag?
    How do you play the best shit when XB1 has no games...? I don't understand.
    Mass Effect, Forza, Fallout, Skyrim, GTA Online. It'd be perfectly fine if no other games were ever made. Ever.
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 19,975
    I dont see anyone in that picture with their face obscured...I'm assuming the dude dead center and in the back is a Persona...Could be wrong tho.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
    That one in the red is Arsene, the main character's Persona.
  • The DamnedThe Damned Looking sane, feeling sane. Joined: Posts: 10,540 mod
    (I'm surprised there wasn't a thread for this already. Huh.)

I hadn't heard that that was a new Shin Megami Tensei game coming out. That's good to hear despite never playing any of them since I know a lot of the fans of that series felt that it was getting screwed over by the explosive popularity of Persona 3 and then, especially, of Persona 4.

I don't really have any opinions about the third game at this time.
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."
    - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
  • The MartianThe Martian A Terrible Fate. Joined: Posts: 11,948
    So pumped for 5. I love the protagonist's design, the supporting cast looks awesome too. I beat P3P a few times (not hard mode yet) and I'm currently playing through P4: Golden but I haven't actually gotten that far yet. I recently got SMT 4 as well for my 3DS but I've only been going back to it every now and then. Those games are a lot harder to get into (for me at least) but I'm enjoying both a ton.

Also, my waifu beats your waifu.

tumblr_inline_nga2diJcK21t2gnmj.png

hrd5J9a.gif
    "You have a heart of gold. Don't let them take it from you."

I dont see anyone in that picture with their face obscured...I'm assuming the dude dead center and in the back is a Persona...Could be wrong tho.

i was referring to this
    20160505_071650.png

20160505_071726.png

Played both innocent sin and eternal punishment on emulator before. Haven't played the first persona game (revelations) tho.
    Mass Effect, Forza, Fallout, Skyrim, GTA Online. It'd be perfectly fine if no other games were ever made. Ever.
  • Tekno VirusTekno Virus small man big strength Joined: Posts: 8,393
    The only game I've played is Strange Journey. Are all of them very grind heavy? I got burnt out towards the end from all that grinding.
    The Gates of Creation are manifold. I vow to enter them all.
    Dellusions are inexhaustible.
    I vow to end them all.
    Sentient beings are numberless.
    I vow to save them all.

The Kree Way is SUPREME.
  • The DamnedThe Damned Looking sane, feeling sane. Joined: Posts: 10,540 mod
    edited May 2016
    (Probably. They are all RPGs and are more merciless than most other RPGs are given Atlus is notorious for being "Harder than Hell" difficulty wise.)

Ironically, to juxtapose what ExposedD just said, the only game I've played of any of the series is the very first Persona game, which I still have never finished but enjoyed for how far I got despite going in utterly blind over a decade ago.
    "Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."
    - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby into the city's reservoir, he turns to the cupboards, only to find the vodka bottle empty."
    - P. G. Wodehouse
  • NeloVergilNeloVergil Joined: Posts: 3,032
    So pumped for 5. I love the protagonist's design, the supporting cast looks awesome too. I beat P3P a few times (not hard mode yet) and I'm currently playing through P4: Golden but I haven't actually gotten that far yet. I recently got SMT 4 as well for my 3DS but I've only been going back to it every now and then. Those games are a lot harder to get into (for me at least) but I'm enjoying both a ton.

hrd5J9a.gif

Aigis beats Yukari this is cannon
    PSN: NeloVergil8909
    CFN: KingII

"Growth creates repulsion, accelerate the growth!
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 19,975
    NeloVergil wrote: »

hrd5J9a.gif

Typical.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • Half BreedHalf Breed Beast Unleashed Joined: Posts: 141

Found a pretty good breakdown video of the new trailer.
  • DarkstalkerDarkstalker King of the Ring Joined: Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I'm still amused that the new SMT is called SMT4: Apocalypse, as if the others didn't feature the end of the world...
    "Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?" - Gregory House

hrd5J9a.gif

Typical.

Did you expect anything less? Were you expecting a Yuko?

Btw sincd i'm off the LTE grid can anyone lemme know if the trailer has any P3/P4 references or is it all P5?

edited May 2016
    Half Breed wrote: »

Found a pretty good breakdown video of the new trailer.

thanks for the vid though Nuclear is basically a form of Almighty from what i can dig up. what does that have to do with enemies being susceptible to ailments?
    Btw sincd i'm off the LTE grid can anyone lemme know if the trailer has any P3/P4 references or is it all P5?

well people are suggesting the mysterious 4th guy could be any of the brown haired guys from previous game. Kan, Yosuke, hell some are even suggesting the first persona protagonist.
    Can anyone remember if the theme for P5 is actually the 7 deadly sins (P3 was death or rather the inevitability of it)? Or what the current tarot deck their using is? Knowing which tarot deck could actually give alot of insight to the theme and story.

P3, P4 and the MMO are the only SMT games I really played. A friend loan me Strange Journey but I couldn't get past the slow beginning.
    P3, P4 and the MMO are the only SMT games I really played. A friend loan me Strange Journey but I couldn't get past the slow beginning.

How was that sleeping table/world balance in P3?

• DarkstalkerDarkstalker King of the Ring Joined: Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

If you like P3/P4's Once More system, you might want to check out SMT: Nocturne or the Digital Devil Saga games. They have a more defensive version of that battle system.

Nocturne - demon collection ala Pokemon, after the apocalypse story
    DDS 1 and 2 - permanent party members that can swap skills in and out, world in a constant state of war

Note that the games all have dungeons that can get lengthy, but not at the start of the game. They're also not randomised like P3/P4 and are handcrafted, which also includes tricks, traps, etc - but those only come mid to late game, and aren't too overboard with it, unlike Strange Journey and its fucking sector E.
    "Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?" - Gregory House
    short vid i made awhile back covering themes in P3 to P5 , you might learn something new and maybe you won't.
    putting it up here anyway.

• DrellyFishDrellyFish Joined: Posts: 4,182
    Can anyone remember if the theme for P5 is actually the 7 deadly sins (P3 was death or rather the inevitability of it)? Or what the current tarot deck their using is? Knowing which tarot deck could actually give alot of insight to the theme and story.

I think P5 theme is being restricted and trying to break free. You right that P3 theme was death, and P4 was truth. But if I remember 5 has somethin to do with breaking free

I 2nd Darkstalker on going straight to Digital Devil if you on finished P3/4. DDS just feels like a more strategic persona. And I emphasize strategic because foreal sometimes even in a random battle a simple mistake can get you a game over lol
    edited May 2016
    ExposedD wrote: »
    short vid i made awhile back covering themes in P3 to P5 , you might learn something new and maybe you won't.
    putting it up here anyway.

P4 over did the cheeriness considering the plot was about solving serial murders it made me really unable to take anything about it seriously because it didn't even seem to take itself seriously. even the revelations each character had wasn't that big of a deal. i finally tapped out after i saw Yusuke trigger his shadow with petty bullshit after seeing multiple examples of how it kept producing powerful enemies. sure Junpei may have gotten in some bad situations and had to bailed out, but at least he never created the dam boss himself.

anyhow regarding SMT4 i finally got past the Minotaur after taunting him and getting super fucking lucky. i then went down a bit saw all the actuall cool shit in the game cause fuck Mikado and then got one shotted by fucking Medusa. im really not getting to Apocalypse anytime soon at this rate.

Edit: i updated the OP with an English sub of the Persona 5 trailer
    Post edited by Chiro on
  • Rick RossRick Ross Niggaposi☆Continues Joined: Posts: 5,641
    Does anyone know what P5's performance differences will be like between the Triple and the Quatro?

I know 60fps isn't necessarily imperative for turn-based RPG's, but it's always nice to have it.

"I don't think women in video games and anime are hyper sexualized. I think they're Mexican women who occasionally speak Japanese." - Tekno Virus, sharing his words of ethnic wisdom.
    Rick Ross wrote: »
    Does anyone know what P5's performance differences will be like between the Triple and the Quatro?

I know 60fps isn't necessarily imperative for turn-based RPG's, but it's always nice to have it.

with how rare that seems to be lately i personally wouldn't expect it for either.
  • MechWarriorMechWarrior Joined: Posts: 5,691
    N79ZBfK.jpg?1
    'Bout time there was a thread for this!
    XBL: MechWarriorNY
  • King9999King9999 Joined: Posts: 10,789 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I'm super hype for P5, too bad it won't be coming till 2017, most likely. I'm also looking forward to SMT4 Apocalypse.

I hope SMT3 and especially Digital Devil Saga (because I never played it) gets released on PS4. SMT3 is a must-play.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-2722-8799-3295
    PSN/Steam ID/NNID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
    edited May 2016
    King9999 wrote: »
    I'm super hype for P5, too bad it won't be coming till 2017, most likely. I'm also looking forward to SMT4 Apocalypse.

I hope SMT3 and especially Digital Devil Saga (because I never played it) gets released on PS4. SMT3 is a must-play.

well that may not actually be the case now that i think about it. for a japanese game to come to E3 that would suggest that they have something to tell the English speakers. initially i assumed they had nothing to say to us, but they most likely just didn't bother since it would be redundant and not the best way to share info with us. afterall why would you reveal english voice actors during a japanese stream? or reveal a western release date when a lot probably weren't watching that would get mixed up with japanese pre-orders.

edit: found a pic of our mystery man.

3hZhHi2.jpg?1
    Post edited by Chiro on
    I notice the cat has the same color pattern as Teddy. Another friendly Shadow then.
  • Rick RossRick Ross Niggaposi☆Continues Joined: Posts: 5,641
    Need some advice.

Just started Void Dungeon on 8/1, only 11 days left until Kubo goes bye.

All characters up to lvl 38 while Yosuke is still lvl 26.

Do I have time to grind?
    "I don't think women in video games and anime are hyper sexualized. I think they're Mexican women who occasionally speak Japanese." - Tekno Virus, sharing his words of ethnic wisdom.