Video Game General 4.0: You wanna enjoy your console? There's an app for that.

Comments

• Black_JaguarBlack_Jaguar Mad skill Joined: Posts: 7,097
    Just finished watching a stream of RE7. Incredible looking game, at least in a VR environment. I've never been excited for a horror game before this one.

Will say though that the main protagonist is hot garbage. Dude reacts to the craziest shit like he just downed 3 bottles of Xanax. No emotion whatsoever
  • RampageRampage Lurkin' Joined: Posts: 4,993
    edited February 3
    Whats the best 4k tv for gaming? Aka minimum lag
    Or whatever kind of tv works best with psPro,

What size are you looking for?

Here's a link to the one that I have, with review scores for the different aspects: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000 .
    It has one of the lowest 4k input latency readings that I was able to find, at ~23ms. I'm okay with 1f of lag on a 55". I have multiple Asus VH238H for when I set up for the really competitive sessions/tourneys etc, but for the majority of players the difference is negligible once the TV is in game mode. Great screen, very happy with it, and the price is reasonable. I got mine for about $1k.

edit: You can always check displaylag.com and rtings.com as they both test for input lag.
  • ChiroChiro Not actually pronounced cheero Joined: Posts: 2,146
    Da Stunna wrote: »
    Post launch DLC is pretty much a double-edged sword in this era of modern gaming.

Nice to have extra support for a title you like to play, but not every developer can do it right.

the ones I see doing it wrong are typically the massive titles that don't feel like they have to get more players. Most smaller games are moving towards free DLC incentives to encourage new players to jump in at anytime and not just wait for the complete edition.

It's not just that but players have became more understanding as well. They're starting to understand that this is mostly the result of productions never really stopping and isn't just made pre-launch then locked away.

• SevansSevans Top Tier. Joined: Posts: 615
    Sonicabid wrote: »
    PS4 firmware update is adding support for external HDD's and a "boost mode" that'll give you a performance bump in older games without patches.

Pretty cool, wonder how BB and DSIII would run in boost mode. :tup:

Shit, I would almost buy a PS4 Pro to replay BB in all of its boosted glory.
  • KimuraLOXKimuraLOX Step into my zone, mad rhymes will stifle ya Joined: Posts: 4,059
    Playing BB in near 60fps would be worth the price of admission alone.
  • SonicabidSonicabid Mundus VS Devil Trigger Vergil Joined: Posts: 12,186
    KimuraLOX wrote: »

BB is capped at 30 FPS, so I *think* at best it'd run closer to its 30 FPS target.

Digital Foundry put some videos out where they tested inFAMOUS and Batman with the "unlocked" FPS option on a vanilla PS4 VS a Pro and the Pro was always closer to the 60 mark. This was months ago without the "boost" option, so maybe these games would run even better with the boost option on?

They did tests on Battlefield 1 with a vanilla PS4 VS a Pro in multiplayer and the Pro always stayed closer to the 60 FPS mark too. Again, without the boost option, so it'll be interesting to see some of these games get revisited after the update, especially games that ran "worse" on the PS4 Pro VS Vanilla PS4.
  • owattjacobowattjacob Joined: Posts: 3,333
    edited February 3
    I've been playing through re7, i'll give capcom pretty big props for this; they fucking nailed down the sound design of the game. Almost wondering if it surpasses Silent Hill in scaring the shit out of you solely from environmental noise, and I hold that game in really high regard in sound design. *granted, Akira yamaoka's OST for SH is way fucking up there, not even a contest*

I can go on about the details but one notable room was before the boiler room, that fucking sound of a object slamming hard into a hollow metal object gets me every time, in a area already so fucking high in tension. Sound designers practically knew you'd scared as shit, checking corners, better throw in the sound of something bursting out of a metal vent to make you look.

There's a couple downsides i can think of but minor shit for now, i'll finish the game first. PRETTY GOOD SO FAR. Had pretty low expectations, didnt even bother finishing RE6.
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU When's Dragon Ball? Joined: Posts: 10,639

That is physically impossible since the ingame physics are framerate-dependent
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • owattjacobowattjacob Joined: Posts: 3,333
    PVL_93_RU wrote: »

Would buy a pro to play BB: Turbo
  • Syke1Syke1 I leave you with photographs; pictures of trickery Joined: Posts: 12,667 mod
    edited February 3
    Sonicabid wrote: »
    PS4 firmware update is adding support for external HDD's and a "boost mode" that'll give you a performance bump in older games without patches.

Pretty cool, wonder how BB and DSIII would run in boost mode. :tup:
    :o so I can get frustrated with Nioh with all of my music? Just in time. What luck
    رَبَّنََآ إنَّنَآ ءَاَمنَّا فَاغْفِرْ لَنَا ذُنُوبَنَا وَ قِنَا عَذَابَ النَّارِ

I Can Catch Wreck All Day Whenever
  • SevansSevans Top Tier. Joined: Posts: 615

tupac%20fuck.gif

GIVE ME 60FPS

You really don't want to deal with Dark Souls II-esque equipment durability bug

That almost made SotFS unplayable for me.
  • Ki ShimaKi Shima This tiger isn't dead.... Joined: Posts: 8,310
    dudes saying VR is a gimmick. Sony saying future Playstation consoles may be a peripheral for VR

:rofl:

http://uploadvr.com/sony-promises-mainstream-messaging-psvr/
    "The telephone is virtual reality in that you can meet with someone as if you are together, at least in the auditory sense."

Ray Kurzweil
  • DavidstarDavidstar KILLA KUEEN! Joined: Posts: 5,060
    edited February 3
    biggest things i hated about re7.
    areas are too small so enemies can't really chase you around.
    the baker family pretty much loses you as soon as you move into another room and are just like *shrug* guess i just lost him.
    how you can abuse the spawning and molded enemy AI.
    molded placements in the basement making so that you absolutely have to kill them in order to have breathing room for the "puzzle".
    how the RE tension greatly diminishes after the half way point. they just give you too many tools to work with.
    the coin bird cage thing kinda drew me out of the experience.

i expected more of a haunting ground ish experience where you were constantly being chased and having to hide.

still good though. definitely better than 5 and 6.
    Did you see that Zack? Clear as a crisp spring morning... FK....in the signature. I knew i could count on it. It never fails
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,272
    Davidstar wrote: »
    the baker family pretty much loses you as soon as you move into another room and are just like *shrug* guess i just lost him.
    molded placements in the basement making so that you absolutely have to kill them in order to have breathing room for the "puzzle".
    how the RE tension greatly diminishes after the half way point. they just give you too many tools to work with.

i expected more of a haunting ground ish experience where you were constantly being chased and having to hide.

Bakers don't need to chase you. They usually show up in areas you need to be. Better to patrol the area you need to go to get a plot relevant item as you might ran into them trying to get it.

I don't see anything wrong in being put in a situation where you are forced to kill the molded to advance. Being forced to use your resources adds to the challenge. What's the fun if you can horde your bullets and health items through the whole game?
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
  • ExposedDExposedD NO SQUIGGERINO Joined: Posts: 6,386
    My only complaint is the lack of enemy variation. The bakers were great but i was hoping to see some more
    BOWs...Maybe a hunter or 2, not just molded all the way from start 2 finish.

molded did get pretty boring but they were still designed well.
    affinity wrote: »
    I mean, you can't even play as a cat in that game. wtf. it's 2017.
    chadouken! wrote: »
    It's called Sonic the Fucking Hedgehog, not Sonic the Cat, you dumb bitch.
  • JoshkazJoshkaz Princess Luna is my Waifu Joined: Posts: 15,276

Bakers don't need to chase you. They usually show up in areas you need to be. Better to patrol the area you need to go to get a plot relevant item as you might ran into them trying to get it.

I don't see anything wrong in being put in a situation where you are forced to kill the molded to advance. Being forced to use your resources adds to the challenge. What's the fun if you can horde your bullets and health items through the whole game?

RE7's biggest problem is that you get too much Ammo.
    "You embarrass me," said Shadow, smiling. Then Shadow took his penis out and picked Cream up. "Let me charge up for a super ejaculation!" Shadow laid Cream down on the ground and then took his penis with him, which was already huge and shaking with sex energy, and found Cream's Piggy Bank, which was full of coins and dollars and things to save up for money, so she could buy what she wanted when she had enough inside it. Shadow took it and using his muscular penis, smashed a hole right through the piggy bank so now it was sitting on top of his penis like a hat. Shadow's penis looked like it belonged in a fashion show.
    Joshkaz wrote: »

RE7's biggest problem is that you get too much Ammo.

The molded are bullet sponges. At best you can kill one with 3 headshots. At worst you will waste an entire clip putting one down.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,366
    Rampage wrote: »
    Whats the best 4k tv for gaming? Aka minimum lag
    Or whatever kind of tv works best with psPro,

What size are you looking for?

Here's a link to the one that I have, with review scores for the different aspects: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000 .
    It has one of the lowest 4k input latency readings that I was able to find, at ~23ms. I'm okay with 1f of lag on a 55". I have multiple Asus VH238H for when I set up for the really competitive sessions/tourneys etc, but for the majority of players the difference is negligible once the TV is in game mode. Great screen, very happy with it, and the price is reasonable. I got mine for about $1k.

edit: You can always check displaylag.com and rtings.com as they both test for input lag.

I find that smaller displays work better than bigger ones. I also tend to skip actual TVs for PC Monitors as they have less image post processing.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist

There's nothing wrong with it but the game gives you too much to deal with the molded in the basement. Enough to kill every single one of them. Yeah baker family shows up for scripted events I'd rather they be more organic and actually try to look for you and need to hide at points. They don't "need" to Chase you but they do and do so extremely poorly. So much so that it takes you out of the experience. You could cover your face with your hands and they wouldn't know where you went. If they're gonna Chase and look for you make them do that. It's mostly the fault of the super confined areas.
    Also timed how long it takes for the black guy to die. Literally under 2 min
    Did you see that Zack? Clear as a crisp spring morning... FK....in the signature. I knew i could count on it. It never fails
    Molded can be taken out with one shotgun bullet to the face at most 2
    po pimpus wrote: »
    Hey, ShogunZ, go help ya boy DoctaMario in the DMC thread...

Since you've got time to hit dat Disagree about me shitting on DLC, I'm sure you've got time to go defend the worst thing Capcpom has ever done...

..at least until this godawful "Mega Man" cartoon comes out...

Apparently Capcom has redeemed themselves and everyone loves them now due to RE7!

http //www neogaf com/forum/showthread php?t 1340427

https //media3 giphy com/media/NoEFwxtGkzWyQ/200 gif83

Who in here other than you give a fuck about Neo gaf?
    Who the fuck cares what a bunch of posers on Gaf thinks?

You know PO is a Capcom Hater, why even try?
    Are you trying to Trigger a Rant?
  • KromoKromo Render unto Miku Joined: Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    It's not just a charging station. The dock grants more processing power to the system, allowing games to run at higher resolutions and such when docked.

Which is probably why it costs 90 bucks to get a second one.

Says who?
    Everything I've seen on it says it is just power, hdmi out and usb port, with no real hardware to speak of. The system is just throttled for better battery life when not plugged in.

I think the 90 bucks is a more of a Nintendo tax.

Mad props to Zombie Lolerskates for the Av
    Voted poster of the year 4 years in a row! 2012 - 2015!
    All proceeds will go the Hydro Acoustic Reverberance Mechanism (H.A.R.M Project)
    Glory unto the Machine Goddess!
  • ChiroChiro Not actually pronounced cheero Joined: Posts: 2,146
    Darksakul wrote: »

Since you've got time to hit dat Disagree about me shitting on DLC, I'm sure you've got time to go defend the worst thing Capcpom has ever done...

Apparently Capcom has redeemed themselves and everyone loves them now due to RE7!

did the Steve Harvey gif not tip you off? yes he's purposely antagonizing Po.
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 25,746

Y'all niggas don't read.

I love CAPCOM, y'know, the company that created Mega Man, Viewtiful Joe, Breath of Fire, DuckTales, Okami, and Street Fighter II, among many, many other incredible games.

I HATE Capcpom, the company that took all those great franchises and shitted all over them with terrible business decisions, anti-consumer DRM/DLC/etc, this new shitty Mega Man cartoon(and probably a shitty tie-in game to boot) and, of course, being the company that thought DmC was ever a good idea.

So no, one good game does not absolve this shitty ass company of all its failures.

FUCK CAPCPOM.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • orochizoolanderorochizoolander 2LANDER! Joined: Posts: 15,634
    edited February 3
    On a more serious note, and yes I know "keep politics out of gaming" but as @Sonichuman said I don't see it happening any time soon. Anyways so Johnathan Blow developer of Braid and The Witness had this to say about the UC Berkley riots 2 days ago.

VBx0VBg.png

I don't have an issue with developers taking stances on things, really all I care about is playing good games, very rarely if ever do I let a person's personal politics influence how I spend my money I mean EA treated it's employees like shit and settled a class action suit, but that didn't stop me from giving them money and loving the hell out of Mass Effect and Dead Space series. The only time I can think of where personal positions affected what I buy was when Adam Orth said this:

Adam-Orth-on-Twitter.png

So this fucking douchebag made a game as a response to M$ firing him and all the internet hate he got called Adr1ft and it looks like shit, but even if it looked awesome there's a good chance I still wouldn't buy it. Do you guys let what non gaming related shit a developer/publisher does or says affect your purchases?
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"
    edited February 3

Y'all niggas don't read.

I love CAPCOM, y'know, the company that created Mega Man, Viewtiful Joe, Breath of Fire, DuckTales, Okami, and Street Fighter II, among many, many other incredible games.

I HATE Capcpom, the company that took all those great franchises and shitted all over them with terrible business decisions, anti-consumer DRM/DLC/etc, this new shitty Mega Man cartoon(and probably a shitty tie-in game to boot) and, of course, being the company that thought DmC was ever a good idea.

So no, one good game does not absolve this shitty ass company of all its failures.

FUCK CAPCPOM.

Mother Fucker, why the fuck are you ranting at me.
    Shut the fuck up on how much you hate Capcom.

You are becoming a one dimensional hate machine, at least record your rants and put them on Youtube.
    Chiro wrote: »
    did the Steve Harvey gif not tip you off? yes he's purposely antagonizing Po.
    youdontsay.jpg

It was a rhetorical question numb nuts.

There's nothing wrong with it but the game gives you too much to deal with the molded in the basement. Enough to kill every single one of them. Yeah baker family shows up for scripted events I'd rather they be more organic and actually try to look for you and need to hide at points. They don't "need" to Chase you but they do and do so extremely poorly. So much so that it takes you out of the experience. You could cover your face with your hands and they wouldn't know where you went. If they're gonna Chase and look for you make them do that. It's mostly the fault of the super confined areas.
    Also timed how long it takes for the black guy to die. Literally under 2 min

Even if the game had designed the Bakers to actively look for you it doesn't provide any adequate places to hide. At most it will provide you a box to duck behind and close the doors behind you. You can't hide under bed, hide in a closet or chest or anything like that. The game doesn't need to since you can defend yourself to get away. I wouldn't want them to give chase with how slow the main characters move. Monsters are out to kill him and his top speed is a light jog.
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU When's Dragon Ball? Joined: Posts: 10,639
    Holy shit

SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
    That's what I'm saying is the problem. The bakers behave as though they are looking for you and trying to get you , but the gameplay doesn't reflect that. There's a disconnect between presentation and the actual gameplay. I'm saying they should've been designed to reflect their own behavior and accommodate the gameplay around it.
  • twigstertwigster Joined: Posts: 585
    Y'all niggas don't read.

FUCK CAPCPOM.

You play SFII? Super Turbo or....?
  • The MartianThe Martian We Out Here. Joined: Posts: 12,257
    Holy shit

I don't understand this video
    "Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are."

Tumblr (NSFW)
    PSN: Shadaloo_Martian
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 25,746
    twigster wrote: »
    Y'all niggas don't read.

FUCK CAPCPOM.

You play SFII? Super Turbo or....?

More of an Alpha guy. Alpha 2 is my favorite SF game... but I haven't played it in forever.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
This discussion has been closed.