Anyone run MAME on a Raspberry Pi 3?

x64x64 Fuck your SRKJoined: Posts: 3,187
Curious how well the new Pi 3 (I think there's a new "B" revision out?) can handle accurate MAME emulation, namely CPS1/2 and Neo Geo shiz. Anyone running this?
ST/HDR/USF2: Honda/Rog/O.Hawk | USF4: Bison | SFV: Ryu :(
XBL: mr x64 | PSN: deadpool_zero | SFV: epistaxis64
Fightcade/USF2: x64

Comments

• DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,380
    Check out the Retro Pi developments

https://retropie.org.uk/
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • x64x64 Fuck your SRK Joined: Posts: 3,187
    Darksakul wrote: »
    Check out the Retro Pi developments

I'm aware of RetroPie and have perused their forums. I was just wondering if anyone here can vouch for its emulation accuracy for CPS and Neo Geo.
    Well for Neo Geo on the Rasp Pi GnGeo which is really close to neoRage x in terms of performance and accuracy.

PiMame like its PC counter part is really hit or miss and does not accurately do CPS2 or Neo geo
    PiFBA - Arcade (based on Final Burn Alpha) is a better alternative but its not 100% accurate (nothing really is)
    PiFBA - Arcade (based on Final Burn Alpha) is a better alternative but its not 100% accurate (nothing really is)

True. I thought the general consensus though lately that MAME (at least ran on decent x86 hardware) is perfectly fine emulation for CPS and Neo Geo. I'm probably going to take a bullet and just get the new RasPi and try some shiz out.
    I own a MVS main board and I compared MVS games I own to the roms running on Mame.
    Mame might run fine with no performance issues but its hell not accurate. Accuracy and performance is two different things.
    Certain games are supposed to take a performance hit in certain areas, like Metal Slug gets laggy when there too many enemies on screen on real hardware.
    If you want a more accurate Neo geo Emu for windows go with neoRage x instead of mame.

And its sad, many of the PC ports of Neo Geo games run better on Mame than on the official PC release.
    And if you dive into the PC game folder you find the rom you can just use in MAME.
  • FalkentyneFalkentyne Joined: Posts: 576
    edited May 2016
    MAME is still broken for CPS emulation. They say that memory wait states are not emulated, so as Darksakul said, some games run too slow or too fast.
    Super Street fighter 2 turbo is unplayable; it's way too fast. Downclocking the CPU to 74% makes "Turbo 1" perform similarly to the real board, but turbo 3 is then too slow. The T1/T2/T3 speed steps are not correct.

CPS1 SF2 Hyper fighting is unplayable. Way too fast. The mame fix build sets the CPU speed at 8 MHz which is not perfect but is playable.
    The only emulator which runs Hyper Fighting at arcade perfect speed is Callus. Nothing else. An emulator from 1998. And windows has to be in 16 bit color....

Mame is only good for Gauntlet and Gauntlet II. Do the 2,147,483,647 point trick to stop food starvation (2 to the 31st power -1 = highest 32 bit signed number value), set the CPU emulation overclock (enable cheats) to 200%, and HAVE AT THEE. Monsters keep respawning until the entire map is filled....(I first tested this in Neill Corlett's Multi-gauntlet emulator in like 1997)....fun fun and hard! The default CPU speed had a limiter where if too many sprites were on the screen, spawning stopped until things were cleared up.
    Post edited by Falkentyne on
    What MAME is really good for is convenience.
    It is many different systems covered under one program.

There is enough covered under MAME where particular boards that have very unique construction are covered under the emulator.
    Unique boards that only cover one very specific game and would not have a dedicated emulator to cover otherwise.

MAME is great for the older stuff like Gauntlet, Defender and such where a low level systems emulation* will not be too taxing to system resources.
    And to games that otherwise would never have its own emulation as the hardware only covers one game.

Arcade systems with a set hardware that can accommodate multiple hardware like the Neo Geo MVS/AES, CPS 1/2/3, Sega AM, Sega TITAN, Taito X, Nintendo VS System, Nintendo Player Choice 10, Sega Naomi, Sammy, Atomiswave and ect are better handled by dedicated emulation. The Arcade systems if you have the arcade board you can easily consolize with a decent selection of games do better with a dedicated emulation instead of MAME.

The worst emulator I ever used was MESS, which is the home console little brother to MAME, trying to apply MAME's core engine to home consoles.

What really works well if you want to cover alot of different systems is to find and get a good frontender. A good frontender acts as a graphical menu for multiple emulators and roms.

Note:This just covers software emulation and not hardware solutions such as clone hardware or FPGA hardware.

Low level emulation is where you actually try to simulate/emulate the actual systems hardware on the systems hardware logical level. This would include any co-processors or mapper chips that would be part of the game cart but not the game rom. This kind of emulation, while done is software is very systems intensive, and the more co-processors you add the worst the system requirements become.
    Example the low level system emulator for the Super Nintendo, BSNES can be just as demanding (if not more so) to your PC than Crysis set to ultra high graphical settings.
    The upside is you create a emulator that is very accurate (or as close as possible) to the original systems hardware you are trying to mimic. BSNES can put new high end gaming rigs on their knees just to accurately emulate a SNES game. BSNES is actually so demanding that the creator of the emulator made a separate emulator called higan that sacrifices some accuracy for a balance of accuracy and systems performance.

High level emulation is where you are just trying to provide the interface for the roms without trying to mimic the actual system.
    This often results in specific fixes or settings for particular roms, which is a "band-aid" approach to emulation.
    High level emulators will often focus on the 20 or so most popular roms and fixes are specific to that rom rather than the the emulator as a whole.
    This leads to very inaccurate emulation with more obscure roms having poor support or being ignored inertly.
    I'm aware of the difference between low and high level emulation. I was just under the impression that CPS1/CPS2 and Neo Geo had been completely ironed out more or less. I originally was just content with using Final Burn Alpha but I was told recently (maybe erroneously?) that MAME was a lot more accurate these days.
    edited May 2016
    I'm aware of the difference between low and high level emulation. I was just under the impression that CPS1/CPS2 and Neo Geo had been completely ironed out more or less. I originally was just content with using Final Burn Alpha but I was told recently (maybe erroneously?) that MAME was a lot more accurate these days.

MAME is more accurate than it was in the past, but its far from an accurate emulation when it comes to CPS1/CPS2 and Neo Geo
    What MAME does the best is 70s and 80s Arcade games.
    Post edited by Darksakul on
  • ParryAllParryAll Dangerous Posts Joined: Posts: 3,311
    Wondering how the Rasberry Pi 3 runs 2D arcade stuff in general.

So for instance, MAME. Not worried about CPS2/3 since that's FBA, I'm wondering for later Cave games, for SH2 based 2D arcade stuff, like say Sega Titan, Sega System 32 (Golden Axe Revenge of Death Adder). How about KI 1 and 2? Would it run Sega Model 2 or is that asking too much? Basically I'm just seeing what the limits are for this thing. Within reason; I don't expect it to run, say, Sega Model 3 or Naomi and up.
    "Third Strike just has that flow which somehow alienates you from your surroundings and really plugs your brain into the match your playing and your able to comprehend so many different situations and mind games and mixups in such a limited amount of time and all this without even thinking" - Nubilous

"[3rd Strike] makes you feel like the character is an extension of yourself when you get good enough." - AzureWolf

"Street Fighter is now like The Simpsons. It's been bad longer than it's been good." -ParryAll
  • anzharanzhar five times Joined: Posts: 997
    I've got Cave shmups on my OG Xbox and that run good, I really like Ketsui

One thing I would point out regarding investing money in an emulation setup is that are you going to actually play it or just make it for the sake of it

I had my Xbox lying around so I never actually bought it for MAME, and although I did use it regularly for a couple years, I now only game in my living room on the big screen and so anything I liked on MAME I actually bought for PS3, Ketsui cost me ¥6800 around $65 from the Japanese psn store, but I actually play it regularly, whereas I never touched it on the og Xbox because of going in another room and connecting it up

The point is get something you will definitely use not just collect dust
    edited March 12
    Oh I plan on using this bro. I have the Cave Shooting Collection on 360, I'm simply trying to see the limits of Mame and a Pi 3, that's all I can think of, Cave's 2D hardware from like the early/mid 2000's, as the last oldschool 2D hardware and it was pretty powerful, what runs Mushihimesama Futari and such. I'm wondering how that emulates, because if that emulates then I know everything prior to that will be 100%.

If you wanna know what this Pi 3 project is. I'm taking a Sega Genesis USB Hub, and making a "Genesis Mini", and sticking a Pi 3 in there. It's almost too perfect as it has 4 USB inserts, and enough space to fit. Something that fits in your pocket that you can whip out anywhere and be ready to play some 4-player beatumups, any fighting game, I mean, to me that's just the coolest thing to me perfect for parties or any situation. Oh so you have an NES Mini bro? Check this out lol.

Based on my research Pi 3 is more powerful than my laptop lol. It can -almost- run Naomi/DC stuff (not quite but the fact it even runs is impressive to me), PSP emulation seems good, that blows my mind, so this is well beyond modding an Xbox, the Future is Now! Haha.
    "Third Strike just has that flow which somehow alienates you from your surroundings and really plugs your brain into the match your playing and your able to comprehend so many different situations and mind games and mixups in such a limited amount of time and all this without even thinking" - Nubilous

"[3rd Strike] makes you feel like the character is an extension of yourself when you get good enough." - AzureWolf

"Street Fighter is now like The Simpsons. It's been bad longer than it's been good." -ParryAll
  • AlphaCharlieAlphaCharlie Joined: Posts: 1,061
    edited March 12
    My Raspberry Pi 3 with Retropie runs a lot of MAME stuff well.

All the classic Konami, Sega, and Capcom Arcade stuff run nicely.
    edited March 12
    My Raspberry Pi 3 with Retropie runs a lot of MAME stuff well.

All the classic Konami, Sega, and Capcom Arcade stuff run nicely.

You say a lot, what are the limits? What doesn't run well? How about say, Sega Model 2 games (examples: Daytona USA, Virtua Fighter 2, House of the Dead),Sega System 32 (Golden Axe Revenge of Death Adder), Titan (which is Saturn based thus requires quite a bit, examples: Radiant Silvergun, Decathalete) PS1 based: Tekken 1-2, Namco System 22 (Tekken 3, Soul Calibur). What about Killer Instinct 2? What about Taito SH2 based stuff like RayForce, Darius Gaiden, SH3 Cave stuff like Mushihimesama Futari? Alot of this won't run on a modded Xbox for example.

Also I'm only doing this if the emulation is full speed. I can't tolerate frameskips, screen tearing etc.
    Post edited by ParryAll on

• jopamojopamo Stuck in Silly-con Valley Joined: Posts: 1,183
    edited March 12
    My Pi3b runs everything in FBA-Libretro on this list perfectly fine. Take a look.. You might be surprised.

To remove guess work on compatibility you'll need to think bigger...
    I see a cheap PC, some decent emulators and LaunchBox in your future :wink:

Cave is re-releasing a bunch of their shmups on Steam too.
    edited March 13
    ParryAll wrote: »
    You say a lot, what are the limits? What doesn't run well? How about say, Sega Model 2 games (examples: Daytona USA, Virtua Fighter 2, House of the Dead),Sega System 32 (Golden Axe Revenge of Death Adder), Titan (which is Saturn based thus requires quite a bit, examples: Radiant Silvergun, Decathalete) PS1 based: Tekken 1-2, Namco System 22 (Tekken 3, Soul Calibur). What about Killer Instinct 2? What about Taito SH2 based stuff like RayForce, Darius Gaiden, SH3 Cave stuff like Mushihimesama Futari? Alot of this won't run on a modded Xbox for example.

Also I'm only doing this if the emulation is full speed. I can't tolerate frameskips, screen tearing etc.

These are older builds of mame, 2003 and 2010. Runs a ton of stuff great but, not model 1/2/3 arcade games or recent stuff in the 2000s. The PSOne emulator works fantastic and i have a ton of those shooters on it.

Totally worth it. Retropie is easy as hell to install and effectively turns the Raspberry Pi 3 into a full-fledged game console, and you never have to touch a mouse or keyboard past the initial set-up. Everything can be controlled through gamepad. Like a PC, it seems to work with nearly every USB controller fine. Although it says a 64GB Micro SD card is the limit, i've used a 128GB Micro SD on mine from the beginning and never had problems. Built-In WiFi lets you connect to your comp wirelessly and upload stuff using FTP programs like Filezilla, which is pretty awesome (Although you can always use the USB drive method for fast loading of large files).

Got a sweetass case for mine too. The Zebra Case:

81HGhi7uZVL._SX355_.jpg
    MAME is a terrible, out dated emulator.
  • 32teeth32teeth Joined: Posts: 909
    My Favorite Emulator
    Lakka

So far, playing with
    • emulation station
    • retro pi
    • retroarch

i have found in my research, the most scalable, modable, maintainable has been lakka.tv
    you can download all the cores you want through their online updater
    • Capcom CPS-1
    • Capcom CPS-2
    • Capcom CPS-3

the Pi3, even Zero do a pretty good job

These are older builds of mame, 2003 and 2010. Runs a ton of stuff great but, not model 1/2/3 arcade games or recent stuff in the 2000s. The PSOne emulator works fantastic and i have a ton of those shooters on it.

Totally worth it. Retropie is easy as hell to install and effectively turns the Raspberry Pi 3 into a full-fledged game console, and you never have to touch a mouse or keyboard past the initial set-up. Everything can be controlled through gamepad. Like a PC, it seems to work with nearly every USB controller fine. Although it says a 64GB Micro SD card is the limit, i've used a 128GB Micro SD on mine from the beginning and never had problems. Built-In WiFi lets you connect to your comp wirelessly and upload stuff using FTP programs like Filezilla, which is pretty awesome (Although you can always use the USB drive method for fast loading of large files).

Got a sweetass case for mine too. The Zebra Case:

81HGhi7uZVL._SX355_.jpg

This is my case

1481312612394-genesis-hub.jpg?v=7p6blmfdtf0

This is my case

Holy fucking shit. Link please. Right now!
    3D printer cases
    From Tindie

These

2017-02-14T07:06:37.659Z-IMG_2782.jpg.855x570_q85_pad_rcrop.jpg

2017-02-15T02:22:08.167Z-IMG_2837.jpg.855x570_q85_pad_rcrop.jpg

2017-02-15T02:18:14.467Z-IMG_2802%20(1).jpg.855x570_q85_pad_rcrop.jpg

TINDIE STORE

Those look nice, but I'm a sucker for SEGA :wink:
  • ReirakuReiraku Joined: Posts: 840
    jopamo wrote: »

This is my case

Just in case you didn't find it

https://www.shirtpunch.com/sega-genesis-usb-hub
    Thanks! I've been busy watching vids of guys installing Pi 3's and Pi Zeros into this hub. Man it is tempting!
  • butterojbutteroj You Are Luminous Joined: Posts: 1,580
    Mine

07937418-BC13-49EB-8F2A-E12A59A1EB84_zpsipkpww35.jpg

• TortaTorta A piece of Cake Joined: Posts: 715
    I have a real issues with lakka

neogeo games run perfectly fine but.. cps2 games have tons of input delay (tho speed is kinda ok)

any suggestions? :(
    VAMOS
    MCCthulhu >> all

KOFXIII: Ash/King/Vice
    Torta wrote: »

neogeo games run perfectly fine but.. cps2 games have tons of input delay (tho speed is kinda ok)

What Pi?
    2, 3, zero

I run on a 3 with a 128GB card no problems

edited March 15

I have not messed with Lakka but, if it's anything like Retropie or Recallbox, then there are several emulators pre-packed that you can use.

For example, CPS1 stuff runs great on my Retropie's mame but if they didn't? I could always try to play them using the FBA Emu, which itself comes with two EMU engines i can select between.

Also unlike CPS1, CPS2 stuff doesn't seem to work at all in my Mame. So i have them playing using FBA instead. Which one of the FBA engines doesn't work but, the other does, and works very well.

So try a different emulator.
    edited March 15
    MAME is a terrible, out dated emulator.

It's always been terrible even when it was new, nothing's changed it's lazy, but the problem is there are almost as many different pieces of arcade hardware as there are games. Go dedicated emulator when you can Mame when you can't.
    jopamo wrote: »

This is my case

Just type:

Sega Genesis USB hub.

They're only 20$ too, it's amazing.
    32teeth wrote: »
    3D printer cases
    From Tindie

These

2017-02-14T07:06:37.659Z-IMG_2782.jpg.855x570_q85_pad_rcrop.jpg

2017-02-15T02:22:08.167Z-IMG_2837.jpg.855x570_q85_pad_rcrop.jpg

2017-02-15T02:18:14.467Z-IMG_2802%20(1).jpg.855x570_q85_pad_rcrop.jpg

TINDIE STORE

These look like shit no offense.

Plus you need a 4 slot USB hub anyways for a Pi Emulator machine.

The Genesis USB hub is the same size as the NES mini, matches the quality and just so happens to perfectly JUST fit the Pi3. I think Sega knows something.

edited March 15
    It's not the greatest but, Mame is a Good emulator that plays countless games very well. And when it comes to programs that try to be a jack-of-all-trades? It's easily the among the best in that regard.

I don't get Darksakul's irrational hate-boner for it.
    edited March 15
    It's not the greatest but, Mame is a Good emulator that plays countless games very well. And when it comes to programs that try to be a jack-of-all-trades? It's easily the among the best in that regard.

I don't get Darksakul's irrational hate-boner for it.

Well I just looked at the new FBA list. It supports a ton of games now. Hopefully better quality.

I actually hate Darksukul as a person he constantly trolls me, but I agree with him here, Mame is pretty shitty. Even something as popular and common as X-Men Arcade is not emulated properly- the music is FM only, the sampled lyrics don't play or play very low, games have graphical issues or missing speech or sound errors, last time I messed with Mame and to be fair this was 8-10 years ago, games have screen tearing and input lag as well. Some games run too fast some too slow, ugh.

Final Burn Alpha was way way way way way way way way better, but only did CPS1-3 and Neo Geo. Which you would expect, that's 4 pieces of hardware vs 1,000 pieces of unique hardware. I'm sure Mame has gotten better but then again, model 1 emulation is still broken so who knows.

Some of us are just anal. It does play almost every arcade game and most well enough. But back in the day you would want to go with dedicated emulators whenever possible. Maybe things have changed?

What's hyperspin? Is that any better than Mame? Or is it even an emulator, maybe just a front end (I think it's ugly if it's a front end).

edited March 15
    Ok I often bitch about how the future sucks because there's no anti gravity and we still use oil for cars and are ultimately doing nothing but fucking eating and in hampster cages for green paper to do these things. I'm a pessimist.

But I've got to say. The entire PS1 library can now fit on 1 512GB Micro SD card the size of my pinky nail. 1300+ games. Put that in your pipe and smoke that for a second.

I bet your could probably squeeze the Saturn and N64 onto that same card. Fuck me sideways...

Wait let's expand on this. I just realized that gaming history from the Atari to the PlayStation/N64/Saturn era + all arcade games will fit on a single 512GB mini SD card, and run perfectly on a computer the size of a cell phone inside a tiny Sega Genesis shell LOL THE FUTURE IS NOW.

And just think, when the Pi 4 or 5 rolls around, and SD cards are packing 4TB, you could expand that to PS2/DC/XBOX/GC era, DS and Wii as well probably LOL. I'm just going to become this monk that roams the earth carrying videogame history in his pocket looking for random people to play and explain each game to them. This is going to be such a fun project and everything I need will cost less than 100$. Genesis USB hub=20, Pi3=35, SD card=40$.

but I agree with him here, M.A.M.E. is pretty shitty.
    I just downloaded a updated 32bit version of M.A.M.E. on a lark, see what changed.
    They updated all their documents and copyrights as of this month. Whoopi doo....

But I don't care about that, I care about the core programming and how M.A.M.E. does Arcade titles. I would test more, but I don't feel like spending a few days re-downloading non-corrupted, unaltered Roms that are compatible with the current M.A.M.E. From what I found, old 70s up to mid 80s run fine. Nintendo VS system Roms are still way off, So is Neo Geo. Tetris Grand Master Challenge II Plus works like the real thing so thats a Bonus. But M.A.M.E. still has issue with Capcom, Konami, Neo Geo and the like. Turtles in Time still has issues where the M.A.M.E. TMNT Turtles in Time audio is worst than Higain Emulating the SNES version.
    And the SNES version of the game has inferior sound and graphics to the Arcade.

They "updated" binaries and system files this last February, but its mostly to include more systems under it's emulation Umbrella.
    Instead of fixing issues with it's spotty arcade emulation support they added shit electronic toys/handheld games and 80's microcomputers like the Amiga. There are far better Amiga emulators than M.A.M.E.
    Integrating the M.E.S.S. sister project into M.A.M.E. was a mistake, I don't need M.A.M.E. to be a all in one stop. There are front enders which do a far better job of tying together different emulators under one UI.
    99% of the people who download M.A.M.E. just want to play arcade games. The M.A.M.E. team needs to laser focus on their own specialty and not try to be a Jack-of-all-trades.
    There are parts of M.A.M.E. that has not been updated (and needs to be updated) for 20 years now. Including it's basic interface which was fine for DOS, but is shit in Windows.

Mame a good catch all for when their isn't a dedicated Emulator, but for particular key systems like CPS1,2,3, Neo geo, Sega hardware, ect you are far better off with something else.

A good program to download is RetroArch, RetroArch in it self isn't a emulator, its a frontend that use other emus as cores.

• NeverYouMindNeverYouMind Joined: Posts: 716
    MAME has a heavy backend, try Retroarch's NeoGeo and CPS2 cores. There are other cores as well, but those seem to run well. I was able to play those on the Wii despite all its memory access limitations.
    edited March 15
    Sega, Konami, SNK, Capcom (et al) ---> FBA
    There are multiple flavors, and they all taste great.

Accept no substitutes!

RetroArch kicks more butt than just on Pi. I use it on Windows too with my LaunchBox setup.
  • TortaTorta A piece of Cake Joined: Posts: 715

What Pi?
    2, 3, zero

RPI3 with a 16GB card, almost 10GB free. it's just the cps2 roms that have a stupid input delay compared to neogeo and snes ones :(
    VAMOS
    MCCthulhu >> all

KOFXIII: Ash/King/Vice
    edited March 20
    Hey so,

I've never owned a Pi.

I have very basic questions. Like how do I even get started? Is there even an operating system on it? Or am I gunna have to type commands and shit like it's 1989 and ms dos lol.

All I'm using it for is emulators that's all I care about, I have all the gear ordered (except the Sega Genesis case, fucking sold out everywhere they want 50$ now for it fuck that I'll use a plastic shell or nothing).

Emulators and Kodi is what I want on it. Are there tutorials out there someone could link me to a good, super simple one for the things I wanna do?

What Pi?
    2, 3, zero

RPI3 with a 16GB card, almost 10GB free. it's just the cps2 roms that have a stupid input delay compared to neogeo and snes ones :(

There are a lot of CPS2 emulation options I'm sure there are lag free options in fact I'm sure of it cause I used to play CPS2 and 3 over GGPO with no input delay so. Forget what I used.

• FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 2,500
    edited March 21
    Is there even an operating system on it? Or am I gunna have to type commands and shit like it's 1989 and ms dos lol.
    Nope.
    Yup.
    In that order. :)

You'll need to download an OS, load it onto an SD card, and plug that in before you can use it.
    Not sure if there's any OS that fits this use that has a full GUI, but the last one I used was all command-line.
    Current at-home stick: Hori VLX Kuro (LS-40-01 + PS-14-K)
    Current portable stick: Mad Catz TvC (LS-40-01 + PS-14-KN)
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Hyper SF2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
    @ParryAll
    For you I suggest downloading Retro Pi

It incudes the latest version of Retro Arch,
    In there there M.A.M.E., Final Burn Alpha, and all the usual suspects for Console and 80s microcomputer emulators.

Just download the OS and install the OS to a SD card. The Download comes with a .exe
    To add roms just use a thumb drive, USB HDD, or transfer files via network.

Its possible to set everything up to operate everything with a Gamepad once all the setting are adjusted and the roms are installed.
    You can even get the OS to boot with Retroarch being autostarted