So what happened to Gamerfinger?

devastatdevastat Joined: Posts: 23
edited May 2016 in Tech Talk
Tried to order some Gamerfinger HBSF-G2 buttons, but it seems that they are discontinued? Does anyone know what happened, why is it not possible to order these buttons anymore?

Comments

• fundandofundando monitor cyborg Joined: Posts: 479
    They are redesigning the buttons. The current lineup was discontinued.
    I love to mod.
    Fightsticks, computers and cars.
    Check out my youtube for tutorials and more!!!
    >>>> http://tinyurl.com/zqsugqt
  • TenshoTensho Joined: Posts: 2,883
    They hinted a few months back that the new ones will be screw-in, maybe they will still offer snap-ins with the new design too, we will see.
  • devastatdevastat Joined: Posts: 23
    Ok cool. Can't wait for the redesigns then.
  • NENDONENDO I will meditate and then destroy you. Joined: Posts: 3,352
    Why would you Gamerfinger when OBS-MX is around? That's probably what they're wrestling with as well.
  • VuhadzuVuhadzu Joined: Posts: 31
    NENDO wrote: »
    Why would you Gamerfinger when OBS-MX is around? That's probably what they're wrestling with as well.

Gamerfinger offer 24mm buttons and you can freely swap out the switches with whichever you like, rather than the somewhat limited range offered for OBS-MX.

Personally, i also prefer the shape of Gamerfinger buttons too.
  • sasquachsasquach Joined: Posts: 371
    Vuhadzu wrote: »

Gamerfinger offer 24mm buttons and you can freely swap out the switches with whichever you like, rather than the somewhat limited range offered for OBS-MX.

Those are pretty much the main advantage of Gamerfinger (but the button shape is subjective per user, personally I think the octagon is a gimmick), but I see a lot more advantages to the OBS-MX overall tho. OBS-MX's switches are also very much swappable, but it is not as easy, but it isn't too hard tho, but you can swap it with any other microswitches in the market that has the same microswitch plunger as the Cherry MX ones. OBS-MX was also designed to have a short actuation distance which is another appealing factor to me. It also has a very large variety of rim colors (well only because it drops into Sanwa buttons), plunger is a bit limited, but the options for the plunger colors are expanding. The drop ins are also cheap (slightly more than a regular OBSF button, less than an OBSC button iirc), but clear rims will make it cost the same as a Gamerfinger if you don't have rims ready for that. If you're using a hitbox, then yea you're kinda out of luck on Cherry MX buttons for a while, but if you're not then just grab the OBS-MX. If you end up getting Gamerfinger and liking those a lot more, then sell the OBS-MX to someone in the local FGC or online, I'm sure someone in there will love them.
    "I'm just nice" -Harry Potter
    I haven't heard of the OBS-MX before, but what makes me interested in Gamerfinger, is the fact that the noise is greatly reduced. Is OBX-MX silent button as well, and should I look into it as an alternative?
  • sasquachsasquach Joined: Posts: 371
    devastat wrote: »
    I haven't heard of the OBS-MX before, but what makes me interested in Gamerfinger, is the fact that the noise is greatly reduced. Is OBX-MX silent button as well, and should I look into it as an alternative?

I kinda forgot Gamerfinger were pretty silent, short answer is that there isn't a native way to silence them ATM. But you can try O-Rings, modifying the Kahunas or the Sanwa Silencing Pads, try using some foam rubber, etc. I could try to make mines silent and give a definitive result, but I'm too poor ATM. I think O-rings did work well from what I heard.
    "I'm just nice" -Harry Potter
    edited May 2016
    sasquach wrote: »
    I kinda forgot Gamerfinger were pretty silent, short answer is that there isn't a native way to silence them ATM. But you can try O-Rings, modifying the Kahunas or the Sanwa Silencing Pads, try using some foam rubber, etc. I could try to make mines silent and give a definitive result, but I'm too poor ATM. I think O-rings did work well from what I heard.

I guess that I'll just wait for the re-designed Gamerfingers then, because the main reason for me to get them in the first place was to get silenced buttons with a great feel.
    GamerFinger are the most silent buttons out there, they were designed around the foam(or whatever material) pad unlike other buttons where they just add it to the current mold.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 24,282
    I don't necessary consider any MX based buttons silent as, there are MX switches`(such as the MX Cherry Blues) by design makes a very audible click.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
    Most of the buttons sound is the plunger hitting the housing at the bottom, you can remove the switch from the OBSF or whatever button and it sounds just as loud.
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Quickly becoming the Sailor Moon S guy. Joined: Posts: 13,874
    The octagonal IS a gimmick to stand out, obviously. I like them as something different.

They desperately need a redesign, since their biggest issue (too stiff tabs causing acrylic/plexi panels to break/crack) is still in the G2 design. Screwins would fix that on cases solely made of acrylic or plexi, and snapins would still be fine for metal panels. I think everything else was solid on the buttons.
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV/FORpowerfulGame | CFN: MissingPerson/YddeDdeDe GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
    Tensho wrote: »
    Most of the buttons sound is the plunger hitting the housing at the bottom, you can remove the switch from the OBSF or whatever button and it sounds just as loud.
    Did you ever listen to someone type on a MX blue keyboard? or even a single MX blue switch.
    The octagonal IS a gimmick to stand out, obviously. I like them as something different.

They desperately need a redesign, since their biggest issue (too stiff tabs causing acrylic/plexi panels to break/crack) is still in the G2 design. Screwins would fix that on cases solely made of acrylic or plexi, and snapins would still be fine for metal panels. I think everything else was solid on the buttons.

There button plungers can and do fly off on heated matches.
    The only retention of the button plunger is fitting on the switch stem.
    On other buttons, including the OBX-MX has tabs to hold the plunger onto the rim.
  • Playa_VPlaya_V CFN: Playa-V Joined: Posts: 222
    If you want gamerfinger buttons, wait for the revised version. Don't settle for less.

People claim the switches come off during play, but thats because they dont secure the switches all the way down to insert the other smaller stems in place. Secure the switch then add the plunger. The only way the switches come off on my gamerfingers are with tools.

• filphilfilphil Joined: Posts: 17
    edited June 2016

I haven't looked at the innards of gamerfingers switch but afaik the obs-mx would be pretty simple to swap. Don't even have to desolder. MX switch tops can be opened from the top and the sliders can be swapped if you choose to do so.

Q74QZdq.jpg
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Quickly becoming the Sailor Moon S guy. Joined: Posts: 13,874
    I've never personally had a plunger fly off. Guess I'm lucky on that.
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV/FORpowerfulGame | CFN: MissingPerson/YddeDdeDe GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
  • BolSadguyBolSadguy Toronto Stick Modder Joined: Posts: 1,609
    As an aesthetics guy I'd drop my HBFS for OBSMX in a heartbeat if they added plungers that let you use swappable artwork and also made a version for PS14KNs so I can get them a) in a screw in button and b) in more colours
  • toddler316toddler316 Drunk Shit Hustler Joined: Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

If you have to ask this question you must not have used them before.

Aside from the annoyance the first gen had with installing the switch, especially in their first gen run. Gamerfingers are hands down the best button available currently.
    Russell Crowe: This is Tianamen Square. Lots of good fightin' has gone on here throughout the years.These China men can grow to over five feet tall, and in a fight, are known to kick with their legs.

As the infamous Bruce Lee said: "To know oneself is to study oneself in action with another person."

Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
    Darksakul wrote: »
    Tensho wrote: »
    Did you ever listen to someone type on a MX blue keyboard? or even a single MX blue switch.

There button plungers can and do fly off on heated matches.
    The only retention of the button plunger is fitting on the switch stem.
    On other buttons, including the OBX-MX has tabs to hold the plunger onto the rim.

Why would someone wanting a silent button buy a blue switch in the first place? If they did any searching they would know it has a audible click.
  • NENDONENDO I will meditate and then destroy you. Joined: Posts: 3,352
    toddler316 wrote: »

If you have to ask this question you must not have used them before.

Aside from the annoyance the first gen had with installing the switch, especially in their first gen run. Gamerfingers are hands down the best button available currently.

We all know what they say about opinions.

edited June 2016
    filphil wrote: »

I haven't looked at the innards of gamerfingers switch but afaik the obs-mx would be pretty simple to swap. Don't even have to desolder. MX switch tops can be opened from the top and the sliders can be swapped if you choose to do so.

Q74QZdq.jpg

Yeah, i know. I replaced the switch tops and springs in my Gamerfinger switches and i'm in the process of building a custom keyboard. But doing this sort of thing would only really come to mind to mech keyboard enthusiasts (and maybe even only a minority of us), rather than the vast majority of consumers, and it's an added hassle compared to the simplicity of just being able to swap out switches with ones you like.

That being said, i hope OBS-MX get offered in 24mm size eventually as i'd like to try them. I emailed Paradise Arcade about a month ago regarding this but didn't get a response.
  • steve14steve14 Joined: Posts: 61
    tried both, i prefer obs-mx. the first generation gamerfinger buttons had some serious flaws, sometimes the button comes off with heavy use
    edited June 2016

Q74QZdq.jpg

Yeah, i know. I replaced the switch tops and springs in my Gamerfinger switches and i'm in the process of building a custom keyboard. But doing this sort of thing would only really come to mind to mech keyboard enthusiasts (and maybe even only a minority of us), rather than the vast majority of consumers, and it's an added hassle compared to the simplicity of just being able to swap out switches with ones you like.

That being said, i hope OBS-MX get offered in 24mm size eventually as i'd like to try them. I emailed Paradise Arcade about a month ago regarding this but didn't get a response.

Coincidentally I'm both a mech board builder and waiting to see if paradise will offer a 24mm option also. I'm pretty vigilant on keeping everything consistent. Having sanwa or seimitsu on the 24mm side would eat at me with cherries on the 30mm buttons.

Feel free to hit me up if you wanna talk mech keyboards or mx switches though. My most recent build was this:

5M5YU8U.jpg
    Edgar wrote: »
    If you want gamerfinger buttons, wait for the revised version. Don't settle for less.

People claim the switches come off during play, but thats because they dont secure the switches all the way down to insert the other smaller stems in place. Secure the switch then add the plunger. The only way the switches come off on my gamerfingers are with tools.
    Oh they fly off alright, I seen key caps fly off mechanical keyboards with Cherry MX switches as well, sometimes with the switch stem still attached.
    There nothing but the pressure fitting of that stem to hold that button plunger into place.

• DrScorpioDrScorpio Joined: Posts: 30
    Just to throw in my 2 cents. Ive been using the 2nd gen gamerfinger buttons since they came out and I love them. I have them in both of my joysticks. Functionally, I have no complaints (though I am a little dubious about their proclaimed lifespan).

The only issue I have is that they have extremely thick/stiff tabs and will crack acrylic panels. This includes the 1/32 impact modified acrylic Art's Hobbies offers. I ended up getting some files and filing down the tabs a bit which solved that issue.
    The proclaimed lifespan is based on the MX Cherry keyboard switches the Gamefinger uses.
    edited June 2016

I already use the 2nd generation Gamerfingers and I really like them. I wanted to order some more and was told that they are not anymore manufactured. That's why i got worried since they are my favorite buttons. Can't wait for the revised ones.

devastat wrote: »

I already use the 2nd generation Gamerfingers and I really like them. I wanted to order some more and was told that they are not anymore manufactured. That's why i got worried since they are my favorite buttons. Can't wait for the revised ones.

Arcade World UK still has 30mm buttons in stock: http://www.arcadeworlduk.com/categories/gamerfinger.html
  • spenzaliispenzalii Joined: Posts: 2,019

Oh they fly off alright, I seen key caps fly off mechanical keyboards with Cherry MX switches as well, sometimes with the switch stem still attached.
    There nothing but the pressure fitting of that stem to hold that button plunger into place.

Having typed the key caps off my Das Keyboard (which is a beast, BTW) a few times, I can agree with this
    And we build BALLER SHIT! (c) Matskat
  • NCK_FeroceNCK_Feroce Capcom cheated on me Joined: Posts: 3,497

Interested in trying the OBS-MX, but they aren't sell outside US.
    feroce82 wrote: »

Interested in trying the OBS-MX, but they aren't sell outside US.

Paradise arcade shop do ship internationally to most places in the world.
  • LLLLLFiVEL5LLLLLLFiVEL5L ¡!¿?¡!PSN:LLLLLFiVEL5L¡!¿?¡! ¡!¿?¡!CFN: FiVEL_FiGHTER_5L¡!¿?¡! Joined: Posts: 168
    Gamerfinger or OBS-MX ? For me the OBS-MX all the way. I like that I feel a little something when pressing the button. GF is way to soft in my opinion . I own a set of blue switches in my GF & a set of green switches in my OBS-MX . Feels more durable with OBS-MX
    Gamerfinger or OBS-MX ? For me the OBS-MX all the way. I like that I feel a little something when pressing the button. GF is way to soft in my opinion . I own a set of blue switches in my GF & a set of green switches in my OBS-MX . Feels more durable with OBS-MX

What switches were in the gamerfinger? The heaviest spring it seems gamerfinger offers is black linear switches but you can swap the switches and innards in both of them for the feel you want. My keyboards are always a tactile and lubed variant.
    What switches were in the gamerfinger?
    Your choice of Cherry MX Switches.

Black MX switches are the heaviest
  • BolSadguyBolSadguy Toronto Stick Modder Joined: Posts: 1,609
    What switches were in the gamerfinger?
    Your choice of Cherry MX Switches.

Black MX switches are the heaviest

Red by default though. You'd have to purchase other switches and swap them out
  • LLLLLFiVEL5LLLLLLFiVEL5L ¡!¿?¡!PSN:LLLLLFiVEL5L¡!¿?¡! ¡!¿?¡!CFN: FiVEL_FiGHTER_5L¡!¿?¡! Joined: Posts: 168
    In my GF buttons I have the blue switches, in my OBS-MX buttons I have the green switches.
  • ClandestineClandestine Patiently waiting for CvS3 Joined: Posts: 529
    Any word on when the new buttons will be introduced? No announcement planned for Evo?
  • UncleGaryUncleGary Joined: Posts: 185
    I'm curious as well. Hook us up with some info Milkshark!
  • RageousXRageousX Joined: Posts: 420

I actually got a recent follow-up on Twitter about this - they have a pretty full plate right now and cautioned that it would be fall before they could take a look at this. Fair to say they're well aware there's a niche for HitBox players waiting to be filled with GamerFinger off the market for now.

My daily driver HitBox TE still has a full set of all-black GamerFingers and I consider it one of the finest investments of any gear I own. Absolutely love the way they integrated silencing.
    SFV - Mika
    USFIV - Makoto, Evil Ryu
    3rd Strike - Makoto
    UMvC3 - Viper/Dante/Strider
    Tekken 7 - Leo