Hi! We are in the final stages of the SRK forum migration. Soon, we will lock the forums so we can transfer over all the discussion threads. Please expect a downtime of a few days while we implement the migration. Thx for your patience.

The Olympics Thread

Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,524
Who's ready?

211px-2016_Summer_Olympics_logo.svg.png

Comments

• maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 37,011 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Zika Olympics 2016 is gonna be all sorts of hilarious. But im ready for gymnastics, tkd, judo and wrestling
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • NickRocksNickRocks Abuse The Meta Joined: Posts: 22,923
    Well considering kai greene prob isnt entering i think phil heath will win his 6th olympia easily #LE6ACY
    King of the Post-09ers
    In Dusty We Trusty
    Last of the Prembers, R.I.P. my nibbas
    Maximilian is a racist thief
    https://clips.twitch.tv/maximilian_dood/DifferentBeeHeyGuys
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,524
    I heard karate will be added to the 2020 games.

I'll be watching wrestling and the other martial arts
  • WastedWasted Verbal Diarrhetic Joined: Posts: 6,592
    Oh, it's WKF/Shotokan rules.

Meh.

Come back when Sanshou is an olympic sport (Punch/kick/knee/throw)
    SFV: Ken, with THAT ORANGE COSTUME

I have nobody to play with, so I typically talk out of my ass.
    I don't know w abut you bit back in 2001 went to an event in HI where chops, takedowns, kicks, punches, shins could be used
  • BB_HoodyBB_Hoody Nice plane you have there. Be a Shame if something went wrong in flight and it crashed Joined: Posts: 5,127
    Rio sure as hell isn't ready.
  • ManxManx Something is wrong... Joined: Posts: 22,405 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Oooh... the symbol for this year is a satanic penis. Illuminati really stepping it up now!

:tup:
    ... and I'm out like I stole somethin'
    SRK thieves lasted about 5 mins until "tha man" locked me up. Even on SRK a thief's gotta hit the underground!
    "So I just realized the crip walk is just black people's version of the riverdance." - Havatchu
    "Brittany Spears gave me a leg job in an Alabama gas station bathroom" - Shaft Agent

My blog, where I write like it means something or some shit: http://manxbladesake.wordpress.com/
    Official 'Kevin Witness'
    Achievement unlocked! Offered drugs to a SRKer in real life
    Jion_Wansu wrote: »
    I don't know w abut you bit back in 2001 went to an event in HI where chops, takedowns, kicks, punches, shins could be used

It would depend on the event, mostly.

WKF-style competition is usually point-stop, like Olympic Taekwondo. No low strikes, elbows or knees. But, you can strike to the back, as well as the back of the head, and you can still do leg sweeps.

Something like Sanshou would be a really good fit because it basically combines Muay Thai and Judo. It uses a red/blue uniform system, and most of the striking is long range, like the other Olympic martial arts (boxing/taekwondo). You can't clinch for more than 5 seconds unlike MT, and you usually can't elbow, but you can legit throw people, like, full-on Judo-style throw, instead of just tripping or sweeping.

Yeah after the throw you got to do a follow up, like a punch or kick or it doesn't count
    edited July 2016
    Not in most Sanshou rulesets. The sport is generally about knockdowns, not ground fighting. Bouts are paused after a successful throw, you don't go to ground like MMA.

Typically it's like:

2 points: kick to body or head, any knockdown where attacker remains standing, or any throw where the attacker gets up immediately.

1 point: leg kicks, any punch, any throw reversal, any throw where attacker doesn't get up immediately.

IKF awards 3 points for explosive throws (say if you managed to cleanly suplex or slam someone).

US won the 1st gold medal. Way to go!
    So this woman ais 41 years old competing against girls half her age. Age is just a number....

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/nancy-armour/2016/08/07/41-year-old-gymnast-oksana-chusovitina-/88364650/
    Looks like Phelps is back in the game. Bolt and Phelps ftw
    So this woman ais 41 years old competing against girls half her age. Age is just a number....

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/nancy-armour/2016/08/07/41-year-old-gymnast-oksana-chusovitina-/88364650/

In gymnastics, age is a death sentence. She's a diamond in the rough, most gymnasts still retire in their 20s, if not before.

• HotobuHotobu Simpsonized Joined: Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Wasted wrote: »

In gymnastics, age is a death sentence. She's a diamond in the rough, most gymnasts still retire in their 20s, if not before.

I think it also has to do with what comes with the age. A lot of these girls are competing while they're still growing. Height is a big disadvantage. She's 41, but she's actually shorter than Gabby Douglas is now. Also women's bodies fill out differently than men do when they finish puberty. The interesting thing about Simone Biles is that she's 4'9", but she's 19. She probably isn't going to grow anymore. She may be able to compete for a while.
    edited August 2016
    its not age its damage. what this sport does to peoples bodies before they hit 20 is criminal. so few can sustain such a high level for long. i know alot of gym rats and the amount of acl,mcl, back,neck injuries sustained before college is insane.

i do like that their are alot more avenues for gymnasts once their done. like mma did for wrestling, parkour/ninja warrior/stunts are doing for gymnasts.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    Absolutely. The price you pay for perfect form is arguably too much.

You do tend to find older gymnasts amongst the men, though (perhaps because they don't do things like beam or uneven bars, but do a lot more upper body events), but from what I understand the women especially tend to retire younger.

edited August 2016
    I liked when they jumped on that tramploline about 2 days ago. They got just as high as a Dictator jump in SF2
    Is Bolt really the fastest man alive (yes, a The Flash pun)

If Bolt is Flash then this guy must be Zoom...

Well, all good things must come to an end (Sunday). They should have the Summer and Winter Olympics every 2 years instead of 4 years. At least America isn't free at Rio. America is the Olympics Champion this year with the most gold medals and the most overall medal count. The basketball team is gonna own this Sunday. Like watching the Golden State Warriors...
    This came first and is the Olympics thread, meaning any Olympics, summer and winter...
  • kAbkAb Joined: Posts: 742
    Have fun posting by yourself?
  • LantisLantis Can you fly, Bobby? Joined: Posts: 6,305 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    This came first and is the Olympics thread, meaning any Olympics, summer and winter...

Do you honestly believe this thread is gonna get bumped every 2 years? GTFO
    There's no holding me back
    I'm not driven by fear
    I'm just driven by anger
    And you're under attack
    As of this post:

Medal standings
    Country

United States
    36 34 32 102

Great Britain
    23 21 13 57

China
    21 17 24 62

Russia
    13 15 19 47

Germany
    13 8 13 34

Japan
    12 6 20 38

France
    8 12 14 34

Italy
    8 10 6 24

Netherlands
    8 5 4 17

Australia
    7 11 10 28
    Team USA can't win in fighting games but the new Summer Olympics champions is team USA. They owned everyone else for free. Can't wait for the salt to flow...
  • kAbkAb Joined: Posts: 742
    Nah, but I'm about that rock climbing life. Jimmy Webb for gold 2020!!!!!
    Sounds good! The Chess Olympics starts next week and is recognized by the IOC
    Since this chess Olympiad is officially recognized by the IOC here are he current standings. America is currently in 5th place:

http://chess-results.com/tnr232875.aspx?lan=1&art=0&rd=5&flag=30&wi=821
  • DGod205DGod205 The Soul of Kyokugenryu Joined: Posts: 2,498
    This is going to be epic. Karate in the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo!!!

http://www.wkf.net/news-center-new/top-karatekas-elated-by-inclusion-of-karate-in-olympic-games/316/

https://www.olympic.org/news/ioc-approves-five-new-sports-for-olympic-games-tokyo-2020

karate-pei.JPG

A real life World Warrior will be crowned in 2020 and ironically in Japan!!!

Street Fighter goes live...

At least I'm hyped for this. Anyone else?

Paging Steven "Wonderboy" Thompson and Lyoto Machida.
    CvS2-Ken Joe Geese
    MvC2- Guile Gambit Jin---OR---Cable Cyclops Sentinel
    USFIV- Ken, Poison, Rolento, Makoto, Guy, Cody
    MK9- Cage Scorpion Reptile Raiden Mileena
    TT2- Law & Heihachi
    DOA5 Ultimate- Jann Lee Hyabusa Hitomi Ayane
    VF5FS- Jacky Kage Vanessa Brad Goh
    edited September 2016
    Elisa Au might take it, if she enters...

5610bc8f73f25.jpg
  • King9999King9999 Joined: Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I actually forgot about this.
    This is going to be epic. Karate in the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo!!!

http://www.wkf.net/news-center-new/top-karatekas-elated-by-inclusion-of-karate-in-olympic-games/316/

https://www.olympic.org/news/ioc-approves-five-new-sports-for-olympic-games-tokyo-2020

karate-pei.JPG

A real life World Warrior will be crowned in 2020 and ironically in Japan!!!

Street Fighter goes live...

At least I'm hyped for this. Anyone else?

This is great news! I said in the other Olympics thread that Karate should be an event, and now it is.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-2722-8799-3295
    PSN/Steam ID/NNID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
    Elisa Au might take it, if she enters...

5610bc8f73f25.jpg

Just saw her black belt. That black belt is probably 15 to 20 years old...
    oh we talkin karate in here? lol alot of the people from my karate team just got back from europe, winning jr fighting tournament. i expect to see a few picked for the olympics.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    Shotokan? Shorinryu? Okinawan? Kempo?

Which style(s)?
  • DGod205DGod205 The Soul of Kyokugenryu Joined: Posts: 2,498
    I doubt if Kyokushin makes the cut...
    CvS2-Ken Joe Geese
    MvC2- Guile Gambit Jin---OR---Cable Cyclops Sentinel
    USFIV- Ken, Poison, Rolento, Makoto, Guy, Cody
    MK9- Cage Scorpion Reptile Raiden Mileena
    TT2- Law & Heihachi
    DOA5 Ultimate- Jann Lee Hyabusa Hitomi Ayane
    VF5FS- Jacky Kage Vanessa Brad Goh
  • King9999King9999 Joined: Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited September 2016
    Shotokan? Shorinryu? Okinawan? Kempo?

Which style(s)?

I would love it if it was Okinawan as that is what I'm familiar with.

Would there be a problem with just allowing any type of Karate, just as long as it's an established form of Karate?
    Switch Friend Code: SW-2722-8799-3295
    PSN/Steam ID/NNID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file