KOF 98 vs KOF 99

UltimateKisame27UltimateKisame27 Joined: Posts: 134
As an older member of these forums, I have decided to come back with a question that has always boggled my mind but never really took the time to ask.

Why is there so much love for King of Fighters 98 but very little for 99? I honestly do not see much of a problem with 99 to be honest. I love the soundtrack and the characters offered (as well as the assists/strikers). The stage intros before a fight in 99 are awesome as well. I never played KOF 98 so I must ask, sorry if the question sounds stupid to most of you.

Comments

• HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 22,761
    Dream matches always seem to be more favored by the kof players, hence 98 and 02 being the most played.
    Also, this could have been asked on the general discussion thread on this section or the kof section.

Not to menion that your thread title suggest a vs thread which are against the rules of the site.
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,326
    I don't remember all the specific problems with 99 but in general it had less characters and was at best just a jank version of 98 anyways so you might as well just play 98.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
  • KeckaKecka Psycho Crushing that booty Joined: Posts: 1,556
    I agree with @Cronopio. While it's not really bad per se, there's really no reason to not just play 2000 instead if you like the 4 man Striker system. As for why 98 is preferred, it has a larger roster and is generally considered to be the pinnacle of the classic KoF formula. I do like 2002 a lot, though. Mainly because mai waifus Whip and Hinako are in it. Also, Nameless is hilariously broken.
    SFV: Gief, Bison
    Xrd: Fucking nobody and everybody, but I like Elphelt, Sin, Raven and Ramlethal a little more than others
    Garou: Grant, Butt
    KI: Riptor, Aganos
  • shadowbringershadowbringer Joined: Posts: 39
    some things I liked about 99:
    - new characters (and a returning one, Kasumi)
    - new moves (wished they didn't remove Kyo's 236236P and Iori's 236236K, at least Clark maintained his [4]6P 623P in 2002 UM; also, King :3 and Leona)
    - iirc, dodge attack (don't know the official name for it) can be linked into a combo (did it with Ralf once, dodge attack into 2C into 2141236K)
    - backwards dodge helps grapplers (and King :3), especially when close to your own corner, and could be special cancelled (before forward stepping), for example, backward dodge into Iori's fireball or Clark's throw whiff (which recovers fast enough)
    - Yuri striker into Galactica Phantom DM :3
    - Mounted Vulcan Punch DM/SDM into Ryo striker into Argentine Back Breaker :3
    - counter mode allowed projectile super cancels (so you had Iori's 236P into 236236K)
    - the last game of the series, iirc (don't know about the MI series), where all DMs have SDM versions
    - nice backgrounds and ost
    - guard cancel CD not doing damage
    - nice OTGs (Takuma's and Kyo-1's)

stuff I didn't like about 99:
    - armor mode wasn't much helpful (in contrast to 2000, which was really dumb), ended way too early and didn't have much benefits that justify 3 meters
    - Kensou infinite (Jhun's not a true infinite, since Jhun's opponent is juggled higher than Jhun, so in order to get a lot of hits, Jhun's j2B (iirc) has to be as close to the opponent's vertical hurtbox as possible (preferably, against tall opponents and needs either a counter starter or the sweep -- 5C, iirc -- during one of his two stances)
    - Kensou's infinite blockstring (normal into 623P loops into itself, requires the opponent to do a guard cancel)
    - Choi's 6A (guard crush or hit) into ranbu DM (SDM and DM during Counter Mode won't combo)
    - Jhun's 5CD (comparable to 96's Mature's CD), too fast, very good hitbox, no apparent risk since it has a high blockstun (like CD attacks do) without the usual CD attack's recovery
    - Leona's new DM doing way more damage on few characters
    - lack of old characters

I think that, besides game-specific stuff from KoF 99 (rolls, counter/armor modes, projectile super cancels), 2002UM covers 99's character roster (keeping stuff that wasn't present in vanilla 2002, such as Clark's [4]6P), while 98UM covers the old characters (while adding missing characters from 96 and 95), maybe the exclusive good stuff from KoF 99 doesn't outweigh (in the eyes of people who like 98UM and/or 2002UM) the character roster (or the gameplay style from these games, which don't have strikers).
  • HecajonHecajon Joined: Posts: 486
    edited July 2016
    JohnGrimm wrote: »
    I don't remember all the specific problems with 99 but in general it had less characters and was at best just a jank version of 98 anyways so you might as well just play 98.
    it was completely broken, and strikers should never come back in KOF.

• IbokiIboki Joined: Posts: 206
    Kecka wrote: »
    I do like 2002 a lot, though. Mainly because mai waifus Whip and Hinako are in it. Also, Nameless is hilariously broken.

Should differentiate between vanilla and UM. They are very different games no?
  • rukawa_kaederukawa_kaede ({「決最終戦奥義」}) Joined: Posts: 3,401
    2000 is better, even 2k1 is more fun to play.

99 was lackluster, I think kof 99 should had been moved to the neo geo 64 instead to take advantage of the more powerful hardware. That is if the 64 hadn't been a complete failure
  • petran79petran79 Here comes an old challenger Joined: Posts: 1,913
    edited July 2016
    2000 is better, even 2k1 is more fun to play.

99 was lackluster, I think kof 99 should had been moved to the neo geo 64 instead to take advantage of the more powerful hardware. That is if the 64 hadn't been a complete failure

There was a Dreamcast and PC port with 3D graphics backgrounds
    too slow!
  • HecajonHecajon Joined: Posts: 486
    edited July 2016
    Strikers broke the game for 99, thats why I lot of people didnt like it, didnt help they tried to bring them back in 2003, though 2003 sucked, Duo Lon pretty much broke the game. And everyone went back to 2002.

there was a tournament for 2003 and every single person used Dou Lon
  • TonberryKingTonberryKing Joined: Posts: 714
    I thought that between KOF 99,2000,2001 that 99 was the most honest and complete iteration of the series before 2002.
  • PreppyPreppy act like you're used to it Joined: Posts: 14,002 admin
    Moving to the KOF forum...

http://zachd.com/mvc2 : My giant archive of fighting game videos, centered around MvC2.
    "If you don't feel like killing yourself every time you lose you will never be good. Apologyman is going to be a monster someday as long as he keeps staying miserable." --Brightside6382

• MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,861
    edited November 2016
    Post edited by Magegg on
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 3,861
    '99's roll mechanic was the biggest problem of the game.

As much as I have fond memories of the game, nowadays I don't think I could play it again because of the horrible roll mechanics. It's just like a nightmare.