Comics you're reading.

Comments

• maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,329 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    not reading any american comics on any consistent basis i follow a youtube channel that covers marvel and dc so i stay up on all the stuff. the only thing ive collected in the past year has been miles morales 616 universe trade, gwen stacys first trade as well as a few saga trades. i really like saga. ive picked up a few random stuff like snotgirl,some random dc stuff and one of the flashes trade for art research. Alot of times my random choices are because i just like an artists work and wann study it.
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • nameingwaynameingway I say thee nay Joined: Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    comic thread back in gd? good news to an otherwise miserable day.

hickman is jesus if jesus actually busted off the cross, totally ripped like he was kenshiro but as big as raoh.
  • 2-D2-D Praise BasedGod...Hand Joined: Posts: 969
    Main ones I'm reading are
    Image:
    Invincible
    Saga
    Southern Bastards

DC:
    Action Comics
    Superman
    Dark Knight 3(ugh, might as well finish)
    Red Hood & The Outlaws
    All Star Batman

Marvel:
    Moon Knight
    Unworthy Thor
    Infamous Iron Man
    X-Men Legacy(Legion run)
    Old Man Logan
    Ultimates

Vertigo:
    Lucifer

Just re read some of the Valiant reboot trades I had, Quantum & Woody is fucking hilarious. Only mediocre book outta that relaunch was Shadowman imo.

Need to get caught up on TMNT.
    PSN:ForeverKing901
    3DS:3969-5077-5320
    WSHH is like a genital herpes to the black community - Gimpy
    Youtube: http://m.youtube.com/user/infamoustechnique
  • ArtVandelayArtVandelay Architect Joined: Posts: 5,466
    Talking about Berserk:
    Haven't read a lot of shit that got me as emotionally involved as the King's Egg storyline, since reading Preacher and Hitman.
    Goddamn that book is amazing.
    CFN: NaughtySenpai
  • PreppyPreppy act like you're used to it Joined: Posts: 14,078 admin
    I'm liking Low, wish there was more of it.
    Wish Warren Ellis was tied to his desk with unlimited hookers and crack so he could just keep writing. Enjoying Trees and Injection, but fear they'll go the way of newuniverse or the phenomenal Fell. Also Ellis' Moon Knight run was tight.
    Squirrel Girl surprisingly fun/good. It's weird that Ryan North has done so much interesting stuff - I never really got Dinosaur Comics.
    I'm sad Chew is over - kind of a weird way to finish up, but ... glad the author got to have fun.
    Letter 44 was good for a long while, but it feels like it's just treading water now. :sad:

Also read the book Superfolks by Robert Mayer for the first time as I'd heard it referenced as an inspiration for a bunch of stuff (for example, The Incredibles). It's pretty mediocre, but you can see a lot of the same concepts there that pop up elsewhere later.

http://zachd.com/mvc2 : My giant archive of fighting game videos, centered around MvC2.
    "If you don't feel like killing yourself every time you lose you will never be good. Apologyman is going to be a monster someday as long as he keeps staying miserable." --Brightside6382

• DarkGeneralDarkGeneral Joined: Posts: 4,406
    edited January 19
    Kecka wrote: »
    Deadly Class is pretty solid, but it's one of those series that's too dependent on where it's going and the payoff to all the plot threads for me to say whether I like it or not. I like it right now, but that's because it's building to a payoff, and if it fails to stick the landing that'll sour the entire experience for me.

I like Deadly Class for the reason you listed plus Marcus as a character is fascinating to me. In general the characters and archetypes in Deadly Class is really well written. Vol 4's ending definitely left me wondering where the story will go from there.
    Greenwood wrote: »
    If anyone has Marvel comics (early 80's to early 90's) to sell or trade (I have many double from this era), let me know.

Silver Surfer (started at #1, now on #5)

Speaking of Silver Surfer, after reading a few issues, I think it would make a great TV series or cartoon.

Silver Surfer comic is fucking hilarious. I stopped after issue #3 because of my comics budget but it's a damn good read. It would make a great cartoon series. I could see it being a series like old school Teen Titans, funny, snappy writing and a cool art style.
  • PterodactylPterodactyl The time has come and so have I Joined: Posts: 7,194
    edited January 20
    Didn't know this was a thread, neat.

I'm only really reading Marvel right now but:

Venom
    All-New Wolverine
    Deadpool & the Mercs for Money
    Unworthy Thor

Finished the Howling Commandos of SHIELD a few days ago, was a really decent book with fun characters, a shame it got canned.
    P. Gorath wrote: »
    What's funny is you guys don't even read/own any of those comics, you're just regurgitating some out-of-context screen shots from whatever random alt right dumpster you last visited.

Especially since this type of shit isn't new.

I guess they forgot about all of the classic X-Men's cheesy "being racist is bad, everyone is great in their own way, we might be different but deep down we're all the same" agenda that was pretty much the core of that entire franchise for the longest. And the plethora of anti-drug messages and the like. As long as there is a popular agenda, good or bad, it'll make it's way into the books.

Also all of the girl power shit that's been around for ages before now, including female versions of existing characters, is not new in the slightest.
    spread'em
    NickRocks wrote: »
    i dont read comics anymore unless its ashley wood frank miller or joe mad

Garth Ennis and Kentaro Miura, my man.
  • dn0sdn0s Joined: Posts: 550
    That panel reminds of everything I like and hate about Champions
  • ReggieHadokenReggieHadoken Power Up Joined: Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Right now I'm reading Sonic the Hedgehog, The Flash, and Darkwing Duck when it comes to comics.

As far as trades gp, I'm about half way done with The Flash Book One from Mark Waid's Run. Born to Run was a great, deeper origin story for Wally West and I really like the character of John Fox, the fourth, far future Flash. Glad to hear he'll come back in later volumes. There really hasn't been a story in this trade I haven't liked. If anything, this is just cementing, Wally West as the preferred version of the Flash for me.

The Flash The Silver Age Vol. 1 has been a really fun read for me. Light hearted fun. Once I finish this one up, I'll probably jump into Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

• SanoSano SRKSANO on PS4 Joined: Posts: 13,032 mod
    Currently Reading:

Comics:

Spider-Man Renew Your Vows
    X-Men '92
    Spider-Man / Deadpool

Manga:

Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin
    Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt
    Inuyashiki
    GTO Lost Paradise
    Berserk
    Monster Hunter Flash Hunter

The other things I read are Marvel prose books, mostly words with few pictures. Because I'm a Marvel guy and I'm not really happy with the direction most of 616 Marvel is going. So I basically read stuff that takes place in and around 1980 - 2000. A happier time for me. So stuff I've read -

Spider-Man The Darkest Hour - This is a great one and done by Jim Butcher of the Dresden Flies.

Spider-Man The Sinister Six Trilogy - If you ever wanted to know who that mysterious old man was in those Andrew Garfield movies well he came from this series. An excellent read and the fun thing about it is that since it's a prose book and no one is looking, the author stuck a bunch of characters in there if you pay close attention. Joker, Ra's Al Ghul, Jerry Seinfeld, Stan Lee and even the gang from Scooby Doo ha ha! Good fun!

Spider-Man X-Men Time Arrow Trilogy - Reading this now and up to the third book. The first book is okay, the second book is great (The second book is done by the same author of the Sinister Six trilogy. He snuck Godzilla in their ROFL) and the third book is dragging. I guess this is the problem with having each book done by a different writer. But hey at least Spider-Man is still married and the X-Men still matter. Hopefully the third book will finish strong.

• crazymasterhandcrazymasterhand LAZERS PEW PEW Joined: Posts: 282
    edited January 26
    nameingway wrote: »
    comic thread back in gd? good news to an otherwise miserable day.

hickman is jesus if jesus actually busted off the cross, totally ripped like he was kenshiro but as big as raoh.

Pictured: Jonathan Hickman
    https://goo.gl/images/Ba2yU9

I guess since I'm here already, I'm reading the new teen titans: Who is Donna Troy? trade. Funny seeing how complicated both her pre and post crisis back stories are right next to each other.
    Post edited by crazymasterhand on
    I can relate to Nova in this page
    177nzd.jpg

Even though i'm not reading that series yet, I'm really glad that Viv didn't end up being an isolated incident only to be used for one story and forgotten like most similar characters.

That Vision(s) run was absolutely great, and she had some great character development in it along with Papa Vision.

---

Started the Carnage run from last year, it's actually pretty good for the most part.
    spread'em
    April is looking really good. The X-Men will appear in The Amazing Spider-Man Renew Your Vows in their 90s outfits, so you are getting 90s X-Men with a married Spider-Man at the same time! Eddie Brock Will FINALLY become Venom once again in April's issue of Venom. Street Fighter vs. Darkstalkers also starts. HYPE!

http://www.newsarama.com/32858-marvel-comics-april-2017-solicitations.html

http://www.udonentertainment.com/blog/news/street-fighter-vs-darkstalkers-covers-revealed
    edited January 26
    That's a real shame, I wanted to see the new guy actually get fleshed out as Venom.

I also liked that Eddie was using the Toxin symbiote(coincidentally featured in the Carnage book) as a more morally bankrupt Agent Venom type.

Can't agree with their choice to slap it right back onto an old host, I thought the fun of the symbiote came from the fact that they can throw it on a new character ever few years or so and it has a new dynamic each time.
    spread'em
    That's a real shame, I wanted to see the new guy actually get fleshed out as Venom.

I also liked that Eddie was using the Toxin symbiote(coincidentally featured in the Carnage book) as a more morally bankrupt Agent Venom type.

Can't agree with their choice to slap it right back onto an old host, I thought the fun of the symbiote came from the fact that they can throw it on a new character ever few years or so and it has a new dynamic each time.

Just me personally but I agree with David Michellinie, one of his creators regarding Venom. It just isn't Venom without Eddie Brock. It's just another guy wearing his clothes. Marvel seems to understand this with Carnage. With Eddie and Venom, not so much.

I did like Anti-Venom. The problem with Eddie being Toxin is that the original Toxin was pretty good. But he got the shaft really quick.

I liked Flash as Agent Venom, but at the same time would just rather he was called something else or used one of the 100,000,000,000,000,000 other symbiotes out there.

• HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,993
    I don't want to see Eddie Brock back as Venom. I loved Flash run as Agent Venom and want to see more of it.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    edited January 26
    With Marvel right now there's definitely a push to gain a lot of the older fan base that they have shunned lately. Because the well they drew from the new readers that came in from the movies is sort of drying up. DC went through the same exact thing this year with their Rebirth initiative. Giving older fans things they wanted.

Spider-Man Renew Your Vows is an obvious one with Spider-Man being married again. He'll never be married again in Amazing Spider-Man so long as Joe Quesada is working for Marvel in any capacity because at this point it's an ego thing for him. It's also quite telling that their first villain is Mole Man who is a Fantastic Four villain. Marvel pretty much got away with doing away with the Fantastic Four solely to stick it to Fox. So here you have a comic with a family dynamic again.

Venom being with Eddie Brock is another one of those things. But the conspiracy theorist in me thinks that this is because Venom is probably going to be in Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite (he at least among the rumored characters) and he'll only be Venom while the game is making the rounds. Eddie Brock and Gambit are the two 90s characters people working at Marvel hate the most. I don't think they care much for Carnage either, but his minis sell. His ongoing did get canned so there's that.

There's other things like X-Men '92's existence, and the big push X-Men are getting this year. A lot of that has to do with Marvel trying to push Inhumans in their comics as their replacement failing miserably. Once again solely to stick it to Fox.

Another big one is bringing Ben Reilly back. He's not reeeeally back though. He's a clone of, a clone... I'm not really a fan of Ben Reilly, but there are definitely people out there who wanted him back in some capacity. He's getting a new ongoing by Peter David.

The move that strikes me as funny, not because it's being done to attract new readers but it's just kind of random. Miles Morales Spider-Man dating Spider-Gwen. Both books are now having declining sales and this looks like a way to generate interest. They'll never get rid of Miles Morales, but pull whatever stunt they can to keep him around. Because he's a Bendis character and it keeps the SJW crowd happy. His book is written really well by Bendis despite all of the politics though.

Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen will bond over comparing Peter Parker deaths. :P
  • angelpalmangelpalm Stop enjoying things Joined: Posts: 23,675 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Mile Morales is just a token blackish character used to push more white female leads. Waiting for him to die so that Spider Gwen(dumbest fucking name ever) takes up his role and seeks vengeance for his death that will be forgotten in less than a few months.
    Mains:
    Blazpoo -Continual Shit: Tiddy Witch
    Crapcom Big foot Sex simulator V - Pc muscle mod edition: That dude that slaps his ass.
    Aggressors of Koliseum Kombat: Kisarah
    Rapelay: Kimura
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/19/opinion/alt-right-white-supremacy-undercover.html?smid=tw-share
    http://helloracist.com/
    Peter Porker > Peter Parker

Actually that could be said for just about any random spider related person. Even those without powers like Tarantula.
    Mains:
    Crapcom Big foot Sex simulator V - Pc muscle mod edition: That dude that slaps his ass.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/19/opinion/alt-right-white-supremacy-undercover.html?smid=tw-share
    Honestly I've been sick of all of these spider fucks for a while now, they really need to clean house on them like they did with all of the Gamma people during the Doc Green arc of Hulk.
    spread'em
    Re: Modern Comics

I'm more than aware of "social progression" running throughout comics history. Green Arrows "My Ward is a Junky" storyline is one of my favorite comic stories of all time, likewise as a wee lad reading through my dads old Captain American and Falcon comics had an effect on me. Seeing a badassed black character being the partner, not the sidekick, of one of my favorite characters was pretty fucking cool. Yeah, it was in line with the current civil rights and war on drugs stance the USA had at the time but the writing was legitimately good and didn't come off as overly heavy handed. For my money those stories still stand the test of time, just look at these two panels:

Green-Arrow-punches-Speedy.jpg

32f7675ba0.jpg

For a modern example that I really liked was Black Cap America in All-New, All Different Avengers dealing with the public deriding him as the "affirmative action" captain America. Sometimes the writing is heavy handed and I didn't always like the writing of Falcon as Cap but he has his strong moments. Alternatively, I really really like Miles Morales and think his comic is pretty well written. In fact he's so well written that he'd be a good superhero without the moniker of "Spider-Man", though I don't know how well his comic would sell unfortunately.

I don't like female Thor partially because I feel like she renders my girl Valkyrie moot. I don't get why they didn't just push Val instead.

• P. GorathP. Gorath @ButtonMashLA Joined: Posts: 6,764 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited January 27
    Secret Wars was a good jumping-off point for Marvel. Nothing more needed to be said after that epic. Don't see myself going back any time soon.
  • CyberPhoenix0252CyberPhoenix0252 Joined: Posts: 473
    P. Gorath wrote: »
    Secret Wars was a good jumping-off point for Marvel. Nothing more needed to be said after that epic. Don't see myself going back any time soon.

I would've agreed with you until I read Civil War II: The Oath and Captain America: Steve Rogers #10.

Kind of hard to believe I'm hyped for a Marvel book with the word 'event' attached to it lol.
    Rip sig.
    Honestly I've been sick of all of these spider fucks for a while now, they really need to clean house on them like they did with all of the Gamma people during the Doc Green arc of Hulk.

Fuck the Doc Green run. I liked all the Hulks. I want them back.

Spider-Man's my favorite fictional character but it's really annoying that we currently have three people named Spider-Man living in the Marvel Universe at the same exact time. Peter, Miles and Spider-Man 2099 Miguel O'Hara.

• chopperbyrnechopperbyrne Joined: Posts: 1,237
    Now now now, let's not be talking ill of Miggy.

He just needs his old costume back, and writers to remember he has no Spider Sense, has organic webbing, has talons, better vision, and venomous fangs.

Clean up the rest of the bullshit Spider-Verse and Secret Wars (IV?) left behind.
    celticthrowdown.com
    PSN - Leto_II_of_Dune
  • Nobus3r1Nobus3r1 #RiseUp? Joined: Posts: 5,228
    Anyone else ever finish reading a comic, manga or graphic novel and come out thinking: Man, that would have been way better as a movie. I'm curious because I recently-ish read 'Supergod' by Warren Ellis and that was my thought on the book. The premise was very interesting (with a decent screenwriter and a decent budget I imagine it would make a very watchable movie) but holy crap was the pacing terrible. Art wasn't great either. -_-
    House of Bane
    ID: 8V596
    Anyone else ever finish reading a comic, manga or graphic novel and come out thinking: Man, that would have been way better as a movie. I'm curious because I recently-ish read 'Supergod' by Warren Ellis and that was my thought on the book. The premise was very interesting (with a decent screenwriter and a decent budget I imagine it would make a very watchable movie) but holy crap was the pacing terrible. Art wasn't great either. -_-

Usually not, I just wish the book was written better.
    I feel like comic books are a good middle ground between films and books.
    They leave less to your imagination than books, but more than films.

Also about modern mainstream comic books:

They have no balls, and never will have balls.

During the cold war, Captain America fought communists and everyone was trying to demonize drugs as much as possible, as governments around the world tightened up anti-drug laws, so the governments could freely invade those long haired hippy communists homes and put them to jail for having opinions opposing the governments agendas, and not because these drugs are more dangerous than coffee, cigarettes or alcohol.

They always take the popular stance no matter how bullshit it is and try to offend as few people as possible.
    90% of the crap they release are retarded power fantasies designed for kids with low self esteem anyways, which often collides with the so called messages they try to send like equal rights for all kinds of people in X-Men, when mutants are obviously not equal to humans and thus not properly reflects actual problems in society.
    People in the X-Men actually have a point when they're afraid of mutants and trying to protect themselves, while white people have no fucking business oppressing people of different heritage.
    The topic is handled terribly by the X-Men and is much more on point in The Boys.

When you're looking for honest material you usually gotta stay away from Marvel and DC and the likes and look for good writers doing material for smaller publishers.
    Back when I was more into comic books, Vertigo had some good pieces here and there, but I don't know what the status of the sub label is nowadays.

Luckily people like Warren Ellis, Garth Ennis, Alan Moore and a handful of other writers sneak cool comics into the heaps of shit Marvel and DC dump out every month.
    edited January 28
    Anyone else ever finish reading a comic, manga or graphic novel and come out thinking: Man, that would have been way better as a movie.

That's how I feel after reading Mark Millar comics.
  • J-rideJ-ride OG Member Joined: Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    For all of the campy things that happened in the 2099 Universe, I really thought Punisher 2099 made the most sense and could have been a cool movie if done correctly.
    Woman was created for our destruction, and it is from her we inherit all of our miseries.

Aramis from The Three Musketeers
    Usually not, I just wish the book was written better.
    That would have been nice. It's also why I, at this point treat, graphic novels that tout being written and illustrated by the same person with some hesitation as the number of people out there who're legitimately good at both is far fewer than the number who try to fill both roles. IMO you'd rather get can write but can't quit draw over can't write but can draw as at least with the former you've got a decent story. The funny thing is that I'd still kind of recommend checking out one of the most egregious examples I have of can't write can draw in 'Legends: the Enchanted' just because it's some of the best artwork I've seen in any graphic novel (the story is pretty throwaway).
    Anyone else ever finish reading a comic, manga or graphic novel and come out thinking: Man, that would have been way better as a movie.

That's how I feel after reading Mark Millar comics.
    What are your feelings on the 'Wanted' movie?
    House of Bane
    edited January 28
    Can't say I've ever wished for a comic book to become a movie.

When you read a comic book you have full control. The characters can sound like anyone you want them to sound like. Anyone you know in real life, any actor that has ever lived past or present, any cartoon voice actor, anybody.

The dialog flows however you want it to flow.

The music you hear in the background can be anything you want. Any song with lyrics or any orchestral song you have ever heard. You don't have to worry about licensing fees or a song being on embargo because someone else is using. Or, there can be no music period or no music for certain scenes. That is also a choice.

Yeah, you are married to the art. But at least with Marvel and DC, the characters have been interpreted many ways you do have some wiggle room to imagine certain aspects of a character looking however you want because there will be artwork out there to justify it.

In my mind Spider-Man has NEVER had tiny eyes in a comic book. McFarlane / Bagley sized eyes since day one. That's my story and I'm sticking to reading it.

So when someone makes a movie they take all of these choices away from you and they have real world limitations your imagination doesn't have.

If you have someone talented like Nolan, the Russo Brothers, James Gunn, Robert Rodriguez and so on you can sit back and relax, enjoy their vision and let it add to yours.

....But if you get Snyder, Singer, that Daredevil / Elektra / Ghost Rider 2 director who deserves to be shot, anyone who has ever touched a Fantastic Four movie... RUH ROH! It quickly becomes a situation where you have to be careful what you wish for.
    How is The Boys? I really enjoyed Preacher (Herr Star is fucking gdlk) and was thinking about picking up the first trade and giving it a shot.
  • PreppyPreppy act like you're used to it Joined: Posts: 14,078 admin
    It's interesting but kinda ends weakly.

http://zachd.com/mvc2 : My giant archive of fighting game videos, centered around MvC2.
    "If you don't feel like killing yourself every time you lose you will never be good. Apologyman is going to be a monster someday as long as he keeps staying miserable." --Brightside6382

Sano wrote: »

Spider-Man's my favorite fictional character but it's really annoying that we currently have three people named Spider-Man living in the Marvel Universe at the same exact time. Peter, Miles and Spider-Man 2099 Miguel O'Hara.

I love Miles and think Miguel is cool. I just hated how they handled Miles initial book. Put me off from the whole thing really. Same with Arana, I thought she was going to be pretty cool as well but marvel rather fill it's books with corny white women. Best actual true spider man that I read so far was doc ock spidey. That was fun, so was Kaine as Scarlet Spider. I might check out some other stuff later but honestly they just make it so hard to get into some times with all these cross overs.

Pretty much only read Invincible whenever they decide to release an issue. Been more into manga which still seems like slim pickings as well.
    Mains:
    edited January 29
    I enjoyed Ock as Spidey during the Superior Spider-Man arc. It was different and fun.

To me it seems Slott is burned out on Peter Parker Spider-Man and doesn't really want to write him anymore. People constantly tell Peter in his own book that he's an idiot and he doesn't even lead the action in his own book most of the time, other characters do and he reacts to it. Slott was better off writing Doc Ock as Spidey and I would rather he found a way to keep that going.

The worst Slott moment was towards the end of Spider-Verse. All the Spider characters were around alternate reality Unce Ben who had given up being a hero. You would think that Peter Parker would give him an inspirational speech to motivate him right?

Nope. Doc Ock Spidey actually curses at him and says something like "SHUT THE FUCK UP AND GET OFF YOUR ASS!" And that works. Wow, just... wow.

So now with millionaire Spider-Man, Slott is basically writing Iron Man. I get that writing Spider-Man is his life long dream, but what has he written like 200 issues by now? That would burn out anybody. I wish he would step aside for the good of the character.

In much less depressing news, Dark Horse will drop another Berserk volume in July! After 3 years. Damn! Nothing major will happen and the plot will not advance at all. But I still get excited whenever a volume drops lol!

http://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/2460/berserk-back

Cosplayer Jennifer Van Damsel was used as reference for Captain Marvel on a cover for Civil War II The Oath issue 1. That's pretty cool! I saw her at New York Comic Con last year cosplaying as Cammy.

http://www.jennifervandamsel.com

Post edited by Sano on
    Sano wrote: »
    In much less depressing news, Dark Horse will drop another Berserk volume in July! After 3 years. Damn! Nothing major will happen and the plot will not advance at all. But I still get excited whenever a volume drops lol!
    Really? I view new volumes of my manga/poison of choice with, at this point, more of a sigh of resignation. I'm going to get it because I want to know how shit ends but I would have preferred if shit had ended years ago. I've been reading Battle Angel since I was in fucking middle school. -_-
    House of Bane