Comics you're reading.

1235»

Comments

• ArtVandelayArtVandelay Architect Joined: Posts: 5,218
    Sano wrote: »
    In the comics Superman vibrates the molecules in his face differently when he is Clark Kent. So he actually looks different. It's just one of those things that is impossible to pull off in live action.

Sounds like some retcon shit, some kind of retard wrote after people were complaining too much how shitty Superman's disguise is.
    CFN: NaughtySenpai
  • SanoSano SRKSANO on PS4 Joined: Posts: 13,002 mod
    edited June 23
    It makes no sense no matter how you do it. He sits right next to an investigative reporter all day and spends his nights saving her. How she can't put together who he is in like a week is beyond me. Well hey we scratch our heads over this and have no problem with an alien that looks just like us being able to fly. Go fig.
    Post edited by Sano on
  • tataa8Ptataa8P tourney. banned. washed-up. veteran. Joined: Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    just finished the old man logan past lives mini-arc and i honestly got choked up.
    the ending was so bittersweet considering how the original millar/mcniven mini-series wrapped up before.

damn, who's been cutting up those onions?!
    modern-day absolute truth™ :
    - Assumption is the Mother of all Fuck-Ups -
  • DarkGeneralDarkGeneral Joined: Posts: 4,367
    I just finished reading the first trade of Harbinger Renegade. I'm not a fan of the art style or the writing of the first 2 issues but things picks up once Peter comes back into the picture. I'm cautiously optimistic about how the series will turn out.

I also just started reading Secret Empire and Luthor Strode. Luthor Strode is fucking legit and Secret Empire is a fun read.
  • P. GorathP. Gorath @ButtonMashLA Joined: Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I tried out several of the "new" Valiant books a few years ago and just couldn't get into them, despite the fact that I was a huge Valiant fan back in the original heroes era.

Currently reading Guardians of the Galaxy by Jim Valentino omnibus, Judge Dredd Complete Case Files vol. 7, and the deluxe Black Science hardcover, of which I'd read the first two thirds via tpb.
  • tataa8Ptataa8P tourney. banned. washed-up. veteran. Joined: Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Fucking hell.

I managed to finish Junji Ito's Gyo manga WITHOUT gagging.
    It is very graphic, disturbing, terrifying and disgusting almost all at the same time while I was reading it.
    The story would be something like HP Lovecraft, Stephen King and Alfred Hitchcock all having a hand in writing it which is absolutely brilliant.
    The art is almost like Jeoff Darrow mixed in with some HR Giger at times, soooo freaky!
    Now I want to see the rest of his other work LOLOLOL
    gyo2.jpg
    gyo.jpg

so hyped for secret empire.
    just finished issue 5 and i am blown away by the reveal on who cap's mole is in the avengers' camp.
    the few panels between hank mccoy and steve rogers was very well done.
    the part where scott lang was sending a message to his daughter cassie was also very poignant since the situation was turning from bleak to worse for all of the heroes.
    fave page was black panther dismissing tony stark. yet again lololol

last page gave me goosebumps with the stakes going up yet again.
    Secret-Empire-5-spoilers-Marvel-Comics-6-e1498647106354.jpg
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,084
    So I am thinking, with the Pet Avengers being a thing.
    81yHYJKH51L.jpg
    And Marvel is owned by Disney.

Why haven't the Pet Avengers did a cross over with Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers Yet?

If you don't already know here is the Pet Avengers Roster

Lockjaw (from the Inhumans)
    Red Wing (Falcon's pet Falcon)
    Hair Ball (Speed Ball's Cat who have the same powers)
    Lockheed (Shadow Cat's Pet Dragon)
    Zabu (Ka-Zar's animal companion Sabertooth tiger)
    Throg (literally he is a Frog Thor)
    Ms. Lion (Aunt May's dimwitted male dog, and the only one without super powers on the team)
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
    Darksakul wrote: »
    81yHYJKH51L.jpg

Why haven't the Pet Avengers did a cross over with Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers Yet?

Ms. Lion (Aunt May's dimwitted male dog, and the only one without super powers on the team)

That was a horrible read unfortunately. Had potential, just terribly executed. The art was cute and that's it.

edited June 30
    81yHYJKH51L.jpg

That was a horrible read unfortunately. Had potential, just terribly executed. The art was cute and that's it.

Maybe but the mini series had several other spin off mini series including Avengers vs Pet Avengers and Pet Avengers vs the Pets of Evil masters
    It's the kinda lame for kids stuff Marvel themselves never get right, but with Disney working the right angle it could be great.
  • RockBogartRockBogart Donkologist, Ph.D Joined: Posts: 37,323 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Hmmm, seems I was right in guessing that the good Steve Rogers is trapped in his own version of Pleasant Hill
  • 2-D2-D Praise BasedGod...Hand Joined: Posts: 928
    RockBogart wrote: »
    Hmmm, seems I was right in guessing that the good Steve Rogers is trapped in his own version of Pleasant Hill
    What makes you come to that conclusion? I thought general consensus was that it was Ultimate Cap?
    PSN:ForeverKing901
    3DS:3969-5077-5320
    WSHH is like a genital herpes to the black community - Gimpy
    Youtube: http://m.youtube.com/user/infamoustechnique
    2-D wrote: »
    What makes you come to that conclusion? I thought general consensus was that it was Ultimate Cap?

ultimate cap was purposely written out along with a majority of the ultimate universe roster save for miles morales and a few others iirc.
    this happened in secret wars 2016 and it's still unclear if this really is ultimate cap at all

i concur with rockb as this might be a side effect of the reality warping caused by the sentient cosmic cube, essentially trapping another steve rogers in a different reality.

Maybe but the mini series had several other spin off mini series including Avengers vs Pet Avengers and Pet Avengers vs the Pets of Evil masters
    It's the kinda lame for kids stuff Marvel themselves never get right, but with Disney working the right angle it could be great.

The Spider-Ham comic was good stuff for kids back in the day. But when the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon used Spider-Ham it was really bad. No one working on it had ever read a Spider-Ham comic in their lives apparently. They had him living on a farm as a barnyard animal. Not what the comic was about at all.

This is essentially the problem. I don't think Disney needs a Marvel property to exploit for kids. Because they take any material, dumb it down a lot - and I mean a loooooooooooot - and make it for kids anyway as a cartoon only they can enjoy.

Avengers Assemble for all intents and purposes is Pet Avengers pretty much.

I miss Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes. :(

• P. GorathP. Gorath @ButtonMashLA Joined: Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Avengers by Jonathan Hickman Omnibus vol. 1 came out today. I highly recommend it, makes my list of the top ten modern Marvel runs/storylines.
    RUMORS going around that Dan Slott may leave The Amazing Spider-Man with issue #800 and Nick Spencer will take over. I guess it took The Amazing Spider-Man Renew Your Vows outselling The Amazing Spider-Man for Marvel to finally do something about Slott. If this is true anyway. And PLEASE be true.

“My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over.” - Gerald Ford

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07/06/latest-marvel-legacy-rumour-begin-reveal-shape-marvel-2018/

• Bomberman3000Bomberman3000 The Headshaker Joined: Posts: 2,104
    IDW's Darkness Visible

Kinda some good shit there. Waiting on the 6th issue of the month to come out.

DarknessVisible-01-cvr-MOCK.jpg

http://www.idwpublishing.com/product/darkness-visible-1/
    "What Strength!!
    But Don't forget,
    There are many guys like you, all over the world!!!"

SteamID: BombermanGOLDEN
  • Syke1Syke1 I leave you with photographs, pictures of trickery Joined: Posts: 12,541 mod
    Looking to buy and start From Hell
    رَبَّنََآ إنَّنَآ ءَاَمنَّا فَاغْفِرْ لَنَا ذُنُوبَنَا وَ قِنَا عَذَابَ النَّارِ

I Can Catch Wreck All Day Whenever
  • ArtVandelayArtVandelay Architect Joined: Posts: 5,218
    I just looked through some streams of old ass comic book animated tv shows, and stumbled upon Spider-Woman.
    Now I dunno if my mind is playing tricks on me, but I used to read Spider-Woman as a kid, and I loved the series.
    But I remember it as some disturbing psycho horror comic book, and that animated tv show was a just the same super hero look at the sky it's "insert hero here" bullshit.

Do I remember that character and the series wrong?
    CFN: NaughtySenpai
    edited July 8
    1375989533m_DISPLAY.jpg

Moar Bat Cow
    Spoiler for size
    batman_inc_special-1-batcow.png?w=1200
    batmanincspecial1-3.jpg
    18yav4kwwilxvjpg.jpg

• WellmanWellman Joined: Posts: 3,884
    I just looked through some streams of old ass comic book animated tv shows, and stumbled upon Spider-Woman.
    Now I dunno if my mind is playing tricks on me, but I used to read Spider-Woman as a kid, and I loved the series.
    But I remember it as some disturbing psycho horror comic book, and that animated tv show was a just the same super hero look at the sky it's "insert hero here" bullshit.

Do I remember that character and the series wrong?

It may depend on which character it is. You might be thinking about the Jessica Drew stuff, her book ran for a long time in the past with her mainly dealing with spy and other weird stuff while avoiding most connections she could have with Spider-Man on purpose to make her character and mark her own. Bendis gave the character a massive push with Avengers stuff and started a book but was never able to really... complete that project with his partner. Although I have no idea what the demand would have been for Jessica, her most recent book seemed to ok.

Julia Carpenter they threw out that noise and made her the typical gender counter part hero but based off the more popular Black costume, however I don't think she ever had a long series. Mattie Franklin's run in the late 90s or early 00s lasted over a year but I never really paid it mind. Those are the only three Spider-Woman books I can think of. If you are remembering something from before the 80s it is most definitely one of the earlier Jessica Drew's run.
    You have been weighed.
    You have been measured.
    And you have absolutely...
    Been found wanting.
    Welcome to the New World. God save you, if it is right that he should do so.
    - A Knight's Tale
  • ReggieHadokenReggieHadoken Power Up Joined: Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Picked up the TPB of Spidey Vol. 1. Looks like all kinds of light hearted fun.

I also grabbed DC Universe Rebirth Wonder Woman vol. 1-2. Just when I jumped on board for Rucka's WW, he's no longer the writer, having left with issue 25. Shea Fontana is writing the next 5-6 issues. WW #26 was a good read, so she's off to a very good start.

Grabbed Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows vol. 1. This is SUCH a good book and I'm afraid Marvel is going to kill it because of the hate boner the company has for married Spidey. I never knew how much I wanted to see MJ with spider powers until I read this.

Also copped Spider-Man/Deadpool Vol. 1: Isn't it Bromantic? Was questioning grabbing this one a while back and my Barns & Nobles had a buy 2 Marvel TPBs, get the third free so I took the plunge.

A pleasant surprise was seeing a book called Cage. This four issue mini was written and drawn by Genndy Tartakovsky so I had to buy it.

edited July 17
    Picked up the TPB of Spidey Vol. 1. Looks like all kinds of light hearted fun.

Grabbed Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows vol. 1. This is SUCH a good book and I'm afraid Marvel is going to kill it because of the hate boner the company has for married Spidey. I never knew how much I wanted to see MJ with spider powers until I read this.

Also copped Spider-Man/Deadpool Vol. 1: Isn't it Bromantic? Was questioning grabbing this one a while back and my Barns & Nobles had a buy 2 Marvel TPBs, get the third free so I took the plunge.

I think The Amazing Spider-Man Renew Your Vows is safe for now. It's currently outselling The Amazing Spider-Man, to the point where "supposedly" Slott is getting the boot after issue 800 and Nick Spencer will take over. Sure, Marvel has cancelled top selling books on a whim. Back in the the day hey cancelled Thunderstrike even though it was outselling Thor, solely because Marvel just wanted to have one Thor.

Yeah I think Marvel needs more top sellers right now before they go near RYV. I'm sure they will get rid of it at the first opportunity. Hopefully us fans never give it to them and keep supporting the book.

You're gonna love Spider-Man/Deadpool. The Mephisto stuff is great.

Stuff I read - So I got the first Spider-Man/Deadpool issue after Joe Kelly's run wrapped. Wasn't really crazy about it. It was driving me nuts seeing Peter Parker with blue eyes when they are supposed to be brown. It was like a throwback to the days when women would do the coloring and gave every lead character blue eyes. I remember hearing a story about a comic about a Cowboy who was Asian, but the colorists kept giving him blue eyes anyway lol! That aside, the story spinning out of the first time Spider-Man fought Vulture was pretty cool and timely since Spider-Man Homecoming is in theaters now. But the premise of Spider-Man not wanting himself or Deadpool to crack jokes seems really forced and silly. Ah well, I'll keep the run going to get the Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite Firebrand / Dormammu variant in August at least.

Venom was good stupid fun. Venom versus Marvel dinosaurs. Hilarious!

Tomorrow Berserk volume 38 and Mobile Suit Gundam Wing Glory of Losers should arrive from Amazon.com for me. Hype about reading Berserk again! I don't expect much from Glory of Losers other than just being a fan manga that gives us the Endless Waltz mechs in the original story and maybe updates the technology a bit. It's funny seeing Heero using 3.5 density discs on computers in the old anime today when supposedly it takes place in the "future." Reminds me of Strider on the NES where he went after floppy discs lol! Everybody just use holograms for anything that takes place in the future and stop messing around. ^_^

Post edited by Sano on
  • ZephyranthesZephyranthes Mad Mod Poet God Joined: Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I remember hearing a story about a comic about a Cowboy who was Asian, but the colorists kept giving him blue eyes anyway lol!

What comic was this?
    This Ain't Kansas. Unabashed and unfiltered comic book commentary and reviews:
    http://madnessvest.blogspot.com/
    edited July 17
    I remember hearing a story about a comic about a Cowboy who was Asian, but the colorists kept giving him blue eyes anyway lol!

What comic was this?

Sal Amendola was one of my professors in college and he relayed the story to us. If I recall correctly it was from back when he worked at DC. I don't remember if it was a book he edited or drew, but he did say that he fought with the colorists about constantly coloring his eyes blue.

Post edited by Sano on
  • PreppyPreppy act like you're used to it Joined: Posts: 13,945 admin
    Turns out Ed Brubaker lived across the street from my friend up until a year ago. My friend got to go into his house and accidentally bought a box of Brubaker's early work and original scripts/art/etc at the garage sale when Ed moved out. *jaw drop*

sooooo jealous

http://zachd.com/mvc2 : My giant archive of fighting game videos, centered around MvC2.
    "If you don't feel like killing yourself every time you lose you will never be good. Apologyman is going to be a monster someday as long as he keeps staying miserable." --Brightside6382

• chopperbyrnechopperbyrne Joined: Posts: 1,213
    So I gave the X-Men titles a chance, but most of them are just not very good.

Might stick with Gold/Blue a little longer, along with Jean Grey, but I'm dropping the rest.
    celticthrowdown.com
    PSN - Leto_II_of_Dune
    So I gave the X-Men titles a chance, but most of them are just not very good.

Might stick with Gold/Blue a little longer, along with Jean Grey, but I'm dropping the rest.

Yeah, gold and blue are the only ones that really matter at the moment. If a certain book isn't tied to any major arc happening at the moment, don't bother. Maybe I'll check out Jean Grey; outside of gold+blue, it's just old man Logan cuz you know character loyalty lololol
  • 2-D2-D Praise BasedGod...Hand Joined: Posts: 928
    edited July 19
    Read the newest issue of Batman before work this morning. An interlude to Joker vs Toddler story. Who knew the origin story to a nigga named Kiteman would be so damn sad

Edit: Riddler got changed to toddler....I'm leaving it as is lol.
    PSN:ForeverKing901
    3DS:3969-5077-5320
    WSHH is like a genital herpes to the black community - Gimpy
    Youtube: http://m.youtube.com/user/infamoustechnique
    A story about the Joker fighting a toddler sounds like it'd be pretty funny. I would totally wanna read that.
    Conway is leaving The Amazing Spider-Man Renew Your Vows. Stegman will write the book from now on. Sucks, but Stegman did a great job co-writing the last two issues so hopefully it will be alright.

• DrellyFishDrellyFish Joined: Posts: 4,287
    Im gonna peep the Garth Ennis punisher max run, gonna nab the first volume next weekend
  • Dangerous JDangerous J Clinicals now!! Joined: Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Does anyone here collect Marvel Omnibuses?

I was thinking of getting the FF vol. 2 that has the introductions of Galactus,Surfer,BP.

Ive never read any FF comics but I'm interested in the above characters.

Also,What Avengers omnibus would you guys recommend?
    Thanks.
    PSN: DangerousJSRK

"There is no end to the adventures we can have,if only we seek them with our eyes open."
    -Jawaharlal Nehru
    The Garth Ennis Punisher MAX stuff is a modern classic. Great choice.

As far as Avengers omnibuses, P.Gabby mentioned it earlier in this thread, but the Avengers by Jonathan Hickman omnibus just came out recently. That's definitely the one I'd immediately recommend without any reservations or qualifications. Hickman makes the Avengers epic - it's their "Grant Morrison on JLA" type of run.

That second half of the Kirby/Lee Fantastic Four has got to be one of the best runs ever. It's definitely historically significant. In a string of consecutive issues, they gave us the Inhumans, Galactus and the Silver Surfer, Black Panther, This Man, This Monster (maybe I got the order wrong, but you know)... All the stuff people are still strip mining today.

A good spot to buy omnibuses online is instocktrades.com.
1235»