Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Comments

• xEGAxBeastkingxxEGAxBeastkingx Sorry about yo damn luck Joined: Posts: 2,653
    If they ever do make a SC6 it should be similar to how MK9 was done. Reboot the game back to when the game was at it's best and bring back all the favorites from the first 3 games. Then add some modern mechanics to appease the casuals while creating the gameplay in a way that gives fun and lasting replay value to the hardcore players.
    Gamertag - GDxKingofBeasts
    SFV - Balrog
    Saints | Cardinals | Suns fan
  • Kalyx triaDKalyx triaD Serious Business Joined: Posts: 3,210
    That's the mission statement of every fighting game.
    XBL: Kalyx triaD

YouTube.com/Kalyx
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU When's Dragon Ball? Joined: Posts: 11,042
    Loghorn wrote: »
    Rather than work on a sequel, they should just reboot it.

Funnily enough this is what Aris had in mind earlier today. Drop the Soul Calibur name and reboot the series going back to the beginning - call it Soul Blade again or something like that
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • Legend IILegend II Living Legend sequel. Joined: Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Soul Edge 2 for the twisting mind game.

All I want is granny Setsuka, young Setsuka, cougar Setsuka.

Just whatever Setsuka and drop Alpha Patroklos.

Maybe I get motivated enough to be a moderator again in 8WR.
    Never lose your dignity for anyone.
    MvCI: Gamora/Thanos, Gamora/Sigma
    KOF 14: Clark, Kula, Mai and Yuri, Ryuji, Terry
    Street Fighter 5: Laura, Abigail, Kolin
  • CestusCestus Sorry for my english :D Joined: Posts: 6,614
    Loghorn wrote: »
    Rather than work on a sequel, they should just reboot it.

Agree
    Classic cast > New shits

I designed SFV Ken, your argument is invalid.
    "@Cestus tightened her ass up" - YagamiFire

All SFV Colors here!- http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/214626/new-colors-for-story-and-battle-alts/p1
  • Da StunnaDa Stunna A True Paradox Joined: Posts: 1,119
    SCV gameplay was borked, and it wasn't just because of critical edges.
    T7FR - Eddy, Bob, Dragonuv, Hwoarang, M.Raven
    I2 - Atrocitus
    SFV - Balrog, Ibuki
    KOF14 - King/Yuri/Leona
    GGxrdR2 - Chipp
  • CestusCestus Sorry for my english :D Joined: Posts: 6,614
    Personally i also hated the forced reduction of movesets, i liked SC3 giant arsenals
    I designed SFV Ken, your argument is invalid.
    "@Cestus tightened her ass up" - YagamiFire

All SFV Colors here!- http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/214626/new-colors-for-story-and-battle-alts/p1
  • tataa8Ptataa8P tourney. banned. washed-up. veteran. Joined: Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    SC6 only needs a few things:
    - proper GI which doesn't require meter
    - OG cast and no joke characters
    - jiggly boobies

that's all there is to it and it'll be a hit, might end up selling more than Tekken 7 imo. LOL
    modern-day absolute truth™ :
    - Assumption is the Mother of all Fuck-Ups -
    As a series long Taki player I remember going thru Natsu's movelist like "what the fuck am I supposed to do with this shit?"

Also I picked up Kilik in SC4 and I could NOT get past the monkey boy's version of a staff style. I could not. It's bullshit.

Oh hi Maxi.

YouTube.com/Kalyx
  • AriesWarlockAriesWarlock Joined: Posts: 3,600
    edited November 26
    I think we Ivy fans never need worry about her inclusion in games. Game director said in PS blog:
    I think Ivy’s appearance is what everyone really worries about, because 17 years have passed since SCIV. But as you can see below, you don’t have to worry about that. In a way, her eternal existence is promised.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/07/23/soulcalibur-v-at-comic-con-ivy-natsu-z-w-e-i-detailed/

Haven't played much of SCV's, but I like the gameplay. I think brave edge moves and supers are cool. Move list was thinned too much for my liking, but there was a lot of bloat in past games. Ivy's coil stance from SCIV didn't need to happen, but apparently her sword was malfunctioning then. Hopefully, they are balancing the move list situation better.
    If there's one thing I have told them on social media, is to please for the love of Cthulu get a new voice actress for Ivy. I don't know if SC2 Ivy, Renee Hewitt, is still working in the industry, but find someone similar. Her voice sounded more malicious and vicious. Not like the current one who sounds like a dominatrix grandma.

I think the idea of a MK9 reboot is cheap. If Zasalamel worked his sorcery to travel to the past, to a time just after the events of SCIV that would be good for me.

Btw, it seems Daishi Odashima is working at Sega now.
    "Umvc3 is a 2 player game the same way Super Mario Bros. was on NES. You gotta wait for someone to die before the other has a chance to play"
  • Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero Yup. Holiday functions got fucked too Joined: Posts: 3,333
    Aion wrote: »
    First off I want good characters; if you're gonna give us new characters, I don't mind, ONLY if you make them good. Not that SCV trash.

Secondly, I don't want a tacked on super mechanic (especially not because 'SFIV did it'). If they're gonna include it, it needs to be relevant, well thought out and thematic to SC.

Thirdly...TAKI.

Fourthly...SETSUKA.

A smart man you are.
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GDHTP | Twitch Channel: great_dark_hero
    PSN: Dark_Ice_Saiko
    KOFXIV
    Kyo / Luong / Geese [Mai, Shun, Benimaru, Leona, Terry, Mian, Mui Mui]

DOA5LR
    Nyotengu/Mai

Tekken 7
    Eliza [Xiaoyu, Geese, Jin, Lars, Lee, M.Raven]

BBCF
    Hakumen [Azrael, Nine, Makoto]

SFV ???
    Come to dreamcancel.com for KOFXIV FAQS, wiki-updates, and mini-guides!

EX attacks can stay. Two EX attacks strung together may as well be a super anyway. But supers themselves are SOOOO anti-SC. It just feels awkward. And it benefited some characters more than others (Mitsu can confirm so many things into super it was almost comedic).

Problem is, given Tekken 7 adopting cinematic finishers (though not nearly as disruptive in a Tekken context) Namco may feel overall something like that 'needs' to be in SC, given the CFs in SC4.

So I think we're gonna have to deal with something like that one way or another, and we can only pray to Sophie's cleavage that they find an elegant way to do that.

YouTube.com/Kalyx
  • IM_AmazonIM_Amazon Joined: Posts: 156
    I would like to see Namco learn lessons from SCV and T7 to further improve their work.

Perhaps Edge/Calibur modes, with an attached drive/art? I feel like drives would suit SC just fine, but arts were already a stretch in Tekken and to push them back into Soul Calibur would be messy.
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 37,142 mod
  • PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 22,420 mod
    I actually thought EX moves were a lot of fun. The one thing they got kind of backwards was the role of parry and GI. GI should've been a meterless option and parries should've built meter. That at least gave you a reason to try and parry.

I'm not a huge fan of introducing new chars to replace the old cast when they're just gonna keep the same gameplay. Sidegrades end up alienating old fans and then creating fans for new characters that you're going to disappoint. I wasn't big on Kilik but enjoyed Xiba. SC6 is gonna happen and now I know I'm not getting this one alternate outfit back. you can pick some of the new cast and this issue repeats itself. DoA did the same thing with a character and it lead to a similar situation as the one the series is in now.

Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

"Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
    The 'new generation roster' has literally never worked out for any FG series.

MKX was wise enough to not introduce new guys as replacements and kept a lot of classic faces. SF3, MotW, and SCV not so much. Curiously, Tekken 3 got a pass probably because T1-2 were fairly niche and nobody was really missed a great deal.

YouTube.com/Kalyx
    edited November 27
    Pertho wrote: »
    I actually thought EX moves were a lot of fun. The one thing they got kind of backwards was the role of parry and GI. GI should've been a meterless option and parries should've built meter. That at least gave you a reason to try and parry.

I'm not a huge fan of introducing new chars to replace the old cast when they're just gonna keep the same gameplay. Sidegrades end up alienating old fans and then creating fans for new characters that you're going to disappoint. I wasn't big on Kilik but enjoyed Xiba. SC6 is gonna happen and now I know I'm not getting this one alternate outfit back. you can pick some of the new cast and this issue repeats itself. DoA did the same thing with a character and it lead to a similar situation as the one the series is in now.

Wasn't that due to that character being a guest character though, assuming you're referring to Rachel getting most of Nicole-458's moveset (unless you mean Bankotsubo and Nyotengu, which doesn't really matter since the former has never been tournament legal)?

Speaking of guest characters though, should they continue the trend with VI, or should they cool it and focus on adding more series characters first?
  • MuttonmanMuttonman Joined: Posts: 2,877

I don't think SCV had parries though? You got JI instead as a defensive option.

But yeah, they always seemed kind of pointless compared to GI in older games.
  • TheDarkPhoenixTheDarkPhoenix BEHOLD! Joined: Posts: 12,622 mod
    Everyone loved SC2 it appealed to casuals and hardcore players

parry was simple enough that it made sense even for casuals, also Conquest Mode had people who didn't even play fighters in the arcade just work on leveling up there fighter in conquest mode so it could fight other people. So smart.

I'll say this the Soul caibur community was really toxic lowkey. Passionate but toxic, imo they killed they're own game on a competitive level.

For as popular and beloved as SC2 was they kept trying to make it deeper and more complex and in doing that it just started losing some of its appeal.
    "this game is about winning, If you had the option of a 1) Big dick or 2) a small dick, would you choose 2 because it took more skill? Thought not"
    -Bokkin
  • GhostTearGhostTear Vanessa for MVCI! Joined: Posts: 2,776
    I hope SC6 is a thing. Was my first fighting game I fell in love with and played hours on end. Hope my baby Tira comes back.
    THE SOUL STILL FUCKING BURRRRRRNNNSSSSSS!!!!
  • NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,484
    I have two requirements for SC6:

1 - Game is fun
    2 - No Cassandra no buy (fuck Pyrrha, seriously)

Namco pls
  • UkioUkio Old School Noob Joined: Posts: 226
    Just to expand my post about SC. I played SE, SC2, SC3 and SC5

2 and 3 were great. SE was a good game. SC5 was shit.

Why would you drop classic characters to give us lame clones? That just makes no sense. At all.
    Also, the content... That was just depressing. A boring 2 hour story mode that lets you play as 2 Patroklos, 2 Phyrras and the wolf guy (only one combat), where some characters only appear as a random encounter and with long term characters like Mitsurugi didn't showed AT ALL.
    Arcade mode? That's just a time attack, with only 6 fights.
    Ok, weird one combat mode, and online, but what? Nothing else? No conquest mode? No route-arcade mode (That was just genius).

I know most of my complaints are about one player mode, but what so? Look at SF5, and what loss was for Capcom not to give something to casual players?

PSN: ShotgunSolutions CFN: Abogalypse

SFV: Ken, Alex, trying Zeku
    KoFXIV: Geese, Andy, Kula
    GG: I-No, Chipp
    BBCF: Bang, Azrael
  • MuttonmanMuttonman Joined: Posts: 2,877
    Naeras wrote: »
    I have two requirements for SC6:

1 - Game is fun
    2 - No Cassandra no buy (fuck Pyrrha, seriously)

Namco pls

I actually liked nPat a lot and kind of hope they keep him as a Greek. Pyrrha can fuck off
    edited November 27
    Normal Patroklos was great.

A very mean and fanatical holy knight with the swag of a teenage MC.

I liked that his real fighting style is Setsuka's as he was her disciple and his fighting style as well as a holy knight, which differs greatly from his mom and is a well done version that suits him.

I think they should find a way to include stances for Patroklos, with his Iaido style to differ from Setsuka besides the Umbrella moves.

That way we can have Patroklos and Setsuka in the same game and cover them well without overlapping each other.
  • bumpyfacebumpyface Joined: Posts: 14
    Get rid of Natsu
    Bring back Taki

Get rid of Pyrrha
    Bring back Sophitia

Bring back Zasalamel
    Bring back Talim

Make Guard Impact not cost meter (dumbest shit in the game)
    Widen the moveset of the characters

Can we get rid or Xiba and bring back Kilik? With fighters becoming more and more popular, SC6 just may happen. I'm crossing my fingers and my toes.
    You can't keep anyone new from SCV because that would make everyone in SCIV 20 years older. Taki and Ivy were already in their 30s and we know old women in FGs don't exist except for Kitana and that old chick in Powers Instinct.

I just wanted to comment on the Avatar lol. That shit is fire
    For as popular and beloved as SC2 was they kept trying to make it deeper and more complex and in doing that it just started losing some of its appeal.
    They didn't try to "make it deeper and more complex". They had to change it up because taking out that one glitch that defined SC2's meta changed how frame data, offense and defense, worked.
    Monkey66 wrote: »
    SC6 is said to be in development

https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comments/7cfsm6/im_gonna_confirm_and_deny_some_of_the_leaks_that/?sort=new

"I was told it'll be for PS4, PC, and Nintendo Switch. There was no Xbox One version mentioned to me. The game should be revealed by the end of the year and make its 21st anniversary at least. One trustworthy source told me it would be revealed at PSX.

BN isn't on the list for developers for PSX
  • delete_medelete_me Joined: Posts: 351
    There's also the Game Awards happening soon. Not usually the place to show off new fighting games but it's a possibility.
  • AionAion Is a Pre-Madonna Joined: Posts: 1,045
    ^Is that TieTYT atpRtsd
  • MomohimechanMomohimechan Joined: Posts: 46
    I would like a reboot before the terrible events of SCV

Bring back Xianghua and Kilik (love)

Bring back Talim, Taki, Cassandra, Amy, Setsuka and Seong-Mina<3

I always thought the Soulcalibur games were very beautiful and elegant for their time until Soulcalibur VI, V
    I would like them to build the game from the ground up on a new engine(something other than the unreal 4 engine, which doesn't do well with hair physics)

And lastly a more extensive customization mode similar to Black Desert Online.

SFV Karin, Sakura. Tekken 7 Xiaoyu

Artist and lover of all things cute
    It's almost certainly gonna use Unreal. That ship has sailed.

YouTube.com/Kalyx
  • ES_CurseES_Curse Get ready for emanci-PAIN SON Joined: Posts: 8,384
    I think we could get SC2 step guarding back if there was a sort of unsafe tracking move that beat it. You’d get blown up for just throwing it out, but used right the threat of it would bring the pacing closer to what was intended.
    formerly just5moreminutes. I guess the clock ran out.
    ES_Curse wrote: »
    I think we could get SC2 step guarding back if there was a sort of unsafe tracking move that beat it. You’d get blown up for just throwing it out, but used right the threat of it would bring the pacing closer to what was intended.

That's an interesting proposition. Step-G itself turned out to be an answer to how wildly safe frame data was in 2. So maybe something like that, if tuned right could help keep it in line, while still allowing for safe frame data.
  • PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 22,420 mod
    Should add, I wasn't a fan of the parry but i didn't think GI should've costed meter.

GIs costing meter is about as retarded as needing meter for your DP to have invincibility. Too bad SF5 didn't do all the other cool things SC5 did.

But really, don't fucking lock GIs behind meter again you fucking NamcoBandai donkeys.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

"Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
  • MomohimechanMomohimechan Joined: Posts: 46
    you fucking NamcoBandai donkeys.

That made me giggle :D

SFV Karin, Sakura. Tekken 7 Xiaoyu

Artist and lover of all things cute
    If people want an offense heavy game with safe frame data, then they should look more to SC1 type of game and pace, not SC2.

SC2 had lots and lots of issues at high level.
  • NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,484
    edited November 29
    Legend II wrote: »
    If people want an offense heavy game with safe frame data, then they should look more to SC1 type of game and pace, not SC2.

SC2 had lots and lots of issues at high level.

Like what?
    Genuinely curious, step guard and 2G are the two things I hear people routinely talk about there, and I've heard people defend both of those.
  • Ki ShimaKi Shima This tiger isn't dead.... Joined: Posts: 8,406
    All they need to do is make sc3 Arcade Edition the base mechanics. And I suppose try to add something flashy that doesn’t break shit. Maybe build on the Guard button to make it more akin to real weapon fighting. Being situated in a stationary guarded position is usually last resort in weapon fighting.

That’s for soul calibration though, I wouldn’t mind a Soul Edge/Blade 2 with the memorable OST and return of the Khan Super Session
    "The telephone is virtual reality in that you can meet with someone as if you are together, at least in the auditory sense."

Ray Kurzweil