The Official Offseason 2016-17 NBA Thread: Waiting for Preseason

Comments

• de BLOOde BLOO It's pronounced dee BLOO. Joined: Posts: 4,514
    edited June 15
    klay is better served elsewhere but he's probably staying
    GT: Hector Garfria PSN ID: Hector_Garfria
  • GeoG2GeoG2 I came for the culo Joined: Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Klay ain't going anywhere. People forget they are moving to SF soon and there will be hella off-court money opportunities. Warriors are a good situation that will be even better.
  • subt-Lsubt-L Cold Blooded Joined: Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Klay probably gets traded before he leaves, let's be honest. He's already been on the block a few times, and luckily, they never pulled the trigger.

With that being said, warriors ain't spending $500 mill a season in 3 years, and warriors probably aren't letting him walk for free. Trade him for some picks and get some relief...

I used to hate Klay and thought he was dumb and should've traded him a while ago. But I was wrong. So I'm cool if he stays, because it's not my money... But realistically Klay won't be walking because he'll never get a chance.
    O_o
  • WeeksWeeks Push Custom™ Joined: Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    congrats to the dubs. every organization wants to put together the best team money can buy, and Golden State has made one for the ages.

KD going to the team that beat him up 3-1 though...he's always going to catch shade for that.
    Americans can be relied upon to do the right thing, but only after exhausting all other options.
    -Churchill
  • p.m novaroad pilotp.m novaroad pilot Joined: Posts: 2,603
    subt-L wrote: »
    making an assumption that griffin will be the GM in a few months. He's already been in rumors for wanting to leave, and i'm not sure how enticing being lebron's whipping boy actually is. basically getting your job called out by the league's best player whenever lebron's recruitment ideas don't work out while having to manage the financial fallout of getting strong armed into signing players for way more than they're worth..

also assuming griffin is a smart gm. i dunno if he is, but he's only done any good with lebron leverage while having the largest payroll in the league basically ever...

if griffin isn't there, and they get some new guy and isn't ready to do lebron's bidding, then there's not a lot of reason for lebron to be there. that'd be like the cavs hiring a coach that actually calls plays and manages the team...

grffin is a good gm compared to the chris (forgot his last name) but anybody under the sun will tell you that i mean this is the guy that drafted anthony bennett)

hes really good he was good in phoenix with what they could supply him.
    I dont even think that situation materializes with someone coming there who isnt in concert with lebron
    hes the best player in the world so suggestions from him will always be taken into consideration and someone who straight up collides with him wont be there in that capacity. as for coaches its like i said that the gilbert has never thrown his money around wisely
    and there arent alot of coaches out there that are actually smarter than lebron and/or command his respect consistently on that end.

lue is good but he has a skeleton of how they should run there offense and while me make make small adjustments the meat and potatoes of the offense rests in james hands.
    you always make you mark more defensively with him.

Anywho happy for kd and david west and matt barnes who finally got theirs.
    this season was kinda boring to watch but hopefully moves can be made for next year.
    teams gotta get better.
  • VestaxVestax Blends No. 27 Joined: Posts: 1,502
    I can understand the frustration with Klay, especially the first few years with his jekyll and hyde moments. He's not your ball dominant player - just compliments any system that he's in. He's a good defender and but can be a little streaky when you need it the most. He's not your average Steve Novak or Kyle Korver sharpshooter but there are times when he's a little too aggressive, he'll brick for days. I just feel like he'll go back to old Klay if he goes to another team, I'm almost afraid he'll disappear into the shadows like Chandler Parsons.
    Play an old man's game. Play Super Turbo.
  • ThePurpleBunnyThePurpleBunny Joined: Posts: 17,471
    Weeks wrote: »
    KD going to the team that beat him up 3-1 though...he's always going to catch shade for that.

He can just flash his ring in response. Perhaps summon his Finals MVP trophy as an assist.
    Twitchy | Twatter
    Fightcade: FaceToFist
  • kimterrankimterran THE SMILING Joined: Posts: 5,778
    LOL. Fucking ESPN. They sent out an image a while back saying LeBron was 0-4 on June 12, Devin Booker commented stop with the pointless stats lol
    FC 4656-7253-6641, add me for dat Poke mans
  • jae hoonjae hoon Flames of Justice Joined: Posts: 13,053 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    ESPN makes shut up constantly nothing new.
    SRK Kobrai Kai - Kickin bitches in the face since 2001
  • CTGCTG Army of Zero Joined: Posts: 6,211
    edited June 16
    Lowe and Stein reporting Sixers in talks w/ Boston for #1 pick. It would be a package of picks from Philly to Boston. No players involved.

Colangelo better not get hosed. We can always take Jackson, Fox or moved down and take Monk.

EDIT: Woj reporting it now too.

EDIT: Talks are deep enough where Fultz may be visiting Philly tomorrow.

EDIT: Could involve a future first from Philly. Siiiiiiigh.
  • CTGCTG Army of Zero Joined: Posts: 6,211
    Ok talking myself off the ledge. It's not too bad if we give up our first as long as we keep the Lakers pick.

Sigh.
    beesuit wrote: »
    You trade Klay and you break all the chemistry they've built up till now.

it won't happen this year, but next year there's some decisions to be made. can't pay everyone top dollar.
    O_o
    If harrison barnes got that kind of money, Klay should be looking for a good amount more.
  • DarkGeneralDarkGeneral Joined: Posts: 4,459
    Now i know why you were hating on us so hard @CTG

You know we were about to fleece your squad. Please do the deal for an unprotected first rounder, plus rights to swap picks.
  • TheWholeFnShowTheWholeFnShow Been here too long. Joined: Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I think Lacob/GSW will pay up IF they continue winning. However, if/when things start going bad ( :s ), Klay would likely be the odd man out.
    SRK's Kristin Kreuk lover: 2000 - 2006
    SRK's Brenda Song lover: 2006 - 2011
  • kimterrankimterran THE SMILING Joined: Posts: 5,778
    Hinkie would have never let this happen
    FC 4656-7253-6641, add me for dat Poke mans
  • beesuitbeesuit Joined: Posts: 3,630
    edited June 17
    subt-L wrote: »
    beesuit wrote: »
    You trade Klay and you break all the chemistry they've built up till now.

it won't happen this year, but next year there's some decisions to be made. can't pay everyone top dollar.
    You still can't just sit around this year either. Whatever they do this year directly sets up and heavily affect the following year's decision. It'll be interesting to see how they manage their bankroll.
    At minimum they need to retain Curry, Iggy and Livingston to keep their core intact. Guys like DWest, Javale, ZaZa and MBarnes they scooped up at garage sale bargain bin prices this year and are all off the books now as well. Not sure if you go scoop up other similar 1 year deals with other players or resign those guys again. It's funny cause they're in the same big man predicament as last years off season lol

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/golden_state_warriors/
    http://www.basketballinsiders.com/golden-state-warriors-team-salary/
  • EphidelEphidel Old Man SRK Joined: Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Goddamn there are so many rumors, you don't know what to believe. Boston trying to get Jimmy Butler, Lakers trying to trade down, Philly trying to trade up, bruuuhhh I can't wait for the draft
    Fightcade: Ephidel
    Steam: Ephidel

Golden State can't afford 4 max contract or even near max contract guys either, the luxury tax would be killing them.
    edited June 17
    jae hoon wrote: »
    Golden State can't afford 4 max contract or even near max contract guys either, the luxury tax would be killing them.

no repeater tax, which is the real killer. warriors were under 100m this year, so they won't feel the brunt trying to go hard next year while paying their key players. its the year afterwards where shit could get tough, and the year after would be crushing. that's why i think this year warriors will try to bring back who they can, and then make the tough decisions later... like potentially trading klay before his contract expires...

but i trust bob myers, that dude makes magic happen, so i don't worry much about the future of this team as long as he's making the calls.

but i think livingston and ian clark will leave for paydays and they deserve the chance to make money. i think a bunch of the guys will get their rights renounced/cap holds waived but wait around to see if warriors bring them back for mins.
    O_o
  • WilWil Joined: Posts: 6,144
    edited June 17
    Damn danny ainge on the hunt. He's gonna get this years #3, the 2018 lakers pick off philly and prolly a 2021 1st rounder from them too.
    The best thing about the fake Woj post is that every aspect of ESPN from First Take to Sports Center to Podcasts were talking about it. Which tells you exactly what ESPN denies and that is there are certain talking points and you must have a particular stance to take on it.
  • Amazing FunbagsAmazing Funbags The J-Cup Lover Joined: Posts: 17,883
  • locoghoullocoghoul Fuck Chun Joined: Posts: 4,059
    As someone who is obviously not a professional athlete, I don't see the push for this max deals. Like I'd rather get 14 million and a legit chance to win another ring with my friends than to get 20 million and go play a team that could *maybe* make the playoffs
    You want to enjoy your shit game? Go ahead. Just know that I will ALWAYS be here - po pimpus 2006-2017 RIP
    locoghoul wrote: »
    As someone who is obviously not a professional athlete, I don't see the push for this max deals. Like I'd rather get 14 million and a legit chance to win another ring with my friends than to get 20 million and go play a team that could *maybe* make the playoffs

Wait, what? The overwhelming majority of players grew up poor as shit and struggled financially their entire lives before making it to the NBA. When a Billionaire, with a capital B, is offering you 20 Million dollars to play basketball for him for 5 years (before tax) it's incredibly hard to turn down.

Let's look at Chris Paul for example. He can probably get a 24 million a year max or near max deal which will be one of his final contracts at the age of 32. Alternatively he can take a pay cut and agree to a modest 14 million a year deal to be on a better team and maybe get a ring. It's not only that he'd be earning 10 million less per year, but he'd be earing 10 million less a year for up to 5 years. Is winning an NBA championship worth 50 million dollars in lifetime earnings?

For most people it's not.
  • TheWholeFnShowTheWholeFnShow Been here too long. Joined: Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Yeah, some players would take *a* pay cut to be in a better situation, but they wouldn't take a huge significant cut for that (unless you're David West!).
    SRK's Kristin Kreuk lover: 2000 - 2006
    SRK's Brenda Song lover: 2006 - 2011
    Except Chris is getting checks from State Farm and other brands, so he's making some of those lost millions back.

Winning equals notoriety, and being known means more opportunities with brands off the floor. Even after their careers, known players continue to make money.

If you asked Garnett which part of his career he liked more (making hella money but losing in the first round 7 years straight in Minnesota, or getting a ring in Boston) you know which he will pick.

The problem is that most players have no foresight or business sense. All they see is their NBA contract. They don't realize all the other business possibilities in front of their faces.
  • EphidelEphidel Old Man SRK Joined: Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I like the move for the Sixers a lot. This might be the end to trust the process.

Not sure what Boston is doing. Stack as many picks as possible and make a run at Butler? If the Lakers snag Jackson, then what? You're left with Ball when you could of gotten Flutz.
    Fightcade: Ephidel
    Steam: Ephidel

• Strike_PrimeStrike_Prime 440,000,000 bounty Joined: Posts: 2,563
    The Celtics get the 76ers next three first round picks. Let's see if the process is worth it now.
    I play Yu-Gi-Oh
    AV by savaii64
    GeoG2 wrote: »
    Except Chris is getting checks from State Farm and other brands, so he's making some of those lost millions back.

Winning equals notoriety, and being known means more opportunities with brands off the floor. Even after their careers, known players continue to make money.

If you asked Garnett which part of his career he liked more (making hella money but losing in the first round 7 years straight in Minnesota, or getting a ring in Boston) you know which he will pick.

The problem is that most players have no foresight or business sense. All they see is their NBA contract. They don't realize all the other business possibilities in front of their faces.

That last part is incredibly true. But when you make that point (which is incredibly valid) you also have to factor in widespread money mismanagement. Look no further than one of my favorite players of all time, and former Heat player, Antoine Walker. He was a 18 ppg player before going to the Heat and accepting a 6th man role before winning a chip with them. He was also notoriously terrible with money and went bankrupt in his post nba career but here's the thing; he's not an out-lier.

Over 60% of pro b-ball players go broke after their time in the league. Even Pippen went broke after retiring from the league due to his poor financial choices and he had plenty of endorsements while playing. Simply put NBA players don't have a good financial education and mismanage money all the time. Which is a separate and much bigger issue than if a superstar player should take a max deal or settle for less money.
    GeoG2 wrote: »

Uncle Ainge coming through again, please let him fleece them for a future (unprotected) first rounder plus swapping pics.
  • locoghoullocoghoul Fuck Chun Joined: Posts: 4,059
    Remember Allen Iverson bringing strippers to an Applebees or something? lol
    You want to enjoy your shit game? Go ahead. Just know that I will ALWAYS be here - po pimpus 2006-2017 RIP
    The Celtics get the 76ers next three first round picks. Let's see if the process is worth it now.

This is the Colangelo's to be honest, I was actually pretty worried when they took over that they were going to implode the entire thing like they did in Toronto.
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Beyond Anger... Ultra Rage Joined: Posts: 26,042
    locoghoul wrote: »
    Remember Allen Iverson bringing strippers to an Applebees or something? lol

AI was a LEGEND on and off the court. Still #2 on my all-time favorite players behind MJ.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
    I still think the Lakers are making a huge mistake if they don't draft Ball. Everybody is so stuck on his dad that they keep looking over the fact 6'6" guys with great passing don't grow on trees.