PUNCH PLANET - COMING SOON

spudmastaflashspudmastaflash www.punchplanet.comJoined: Posts: 335
azb8AWn.png
PUNCH PLANET

[WEBSITE] [TWITTER] [YOU-TUBE] [TWITCH] [FACEBOOK][DISCORD]

[STEAM]
Punch Planet - Steam

[VIDEOS]

Hey everyone, I'm finally far enough along that I feel comfortable showing the game I've been working on for the past 5 months called PUNCH PLANET.

PUNCH PLANET is a fighting game that I'm creating with the Double Tap Engine (devblog, thread) that I've been building for the past 3 years (yikes!). We're looking to go to greenlight pretty soon.

Feel free to ask me anything about the game!
Post edited by spudmastaflash on

Comments

• spudmastaflashspudmastaflash www.punchplanet.com Joined: Posts: 335
    edited September 2016
    Edit: Removed my footage, will have more to post soon.
    Post edited by spudmastaflash on
  • MajormelisThereMajormelisThere no labels Joined: Posts: 497
    Is Roy's gun is supposed to be a stance? I realized for some shots they were delayed, and since it looks like he can aim in 3 directions, reminds me of Johnny's Mist Finer from Guilty Gear along w/ Hol Horse's Emperor from jojo. Anyways, looking good, even though i'm not a big fan of the fadc-like mechanic.
    can't wait for the tyara rule 34 boyyyyyyyyyy
    Skullgirls: Parasoul, Cerebella
    JOJO HFTF: Polnareff, Iggy, jotaro
    Umvc3: poor spider-man, poor ryu, ok sentinel
    Roys Gunshot is a QCF.P special move. The strength of the punch determines which direction the shot goes; LP = Down, MP / EX = Horizontal, HP = Up. The punch button can be held for all versions except EX to delay the shot, can also press a kick button during this hold to cancel the shot. Fake gunshots can be cancelled into forward dash and parry.
    Anyways, looking good, even though i'm not a big fan of the fadc-like mechanic.[/spoiler]

Yeah I feel you I don't think it's gonna appeal to everyone. FADC was a feature I personally really liked about SFIV and wanted to expand upon it in my game especially since they moved away from it in SFV.
    can't wait for the tyara rule 34 boyyyyyyyyyy

Ayyyy lol
  • PurplePonyArcadePurplePonyArcade Pretentious Android Joined: Posts: 253
    It is a bit strange looking. Hey, if this is your rough draft then it looks so much better than a few final draft fighting games I have seen lately and I look forward to seeing how this game develops. You have my Greenlight support and I will pass the word on to others as well.
    The world needs more folk metal
    It is a bit strange looking. Hey, if this is your rough draft then it looks so much better than a few final draft fighting games I have seen lately and I look forward to seeing how this game develops. You have my Greenlight support and I will pass the word on to others as well.

Hey thanks for the support man, it's been in the works for a while but it's starting to finally feel pretty fun and functional, I'm glad I can finally start showing it even if it's still really rough.
    PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »
    Why do all the games I see on here have such awful names? "Punch Planet". "Fatal Fate". "Fight Verse". "Death Dark". "Killing-You-With-Fists-Guys:" "Blood Blast Vengeance Death."

Let's step up the name game, guys.

xD I dunno man we can't all be on the level of Giga Maidens, cut us some slack ;)
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,469
    edited September 2016
    xD I dunno man we can't all be on the level of Giga Maidens, cut us some slack ;)

I agree but you should still try. GigaMaidens is one word by the way.

I like this Tyara chick though. "Now that's what I'm Tolkien about", to quote Gandalf.

Other than that, it looks solid. Decent animations and good understanding of fighting game fundamentals. I'm into it.
    Post edited by PSYCH0J0SH on
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

• keo-baskeo-bas Joined: Posts: 1,974
    Yeah I feel you I don't think it's gonna appeal to everyone. FADC was a feature I personally really liked about SFIV and wanted to expand upon it in my game especially since they moved away from it in SFV.
    This mechanic has been around ages. whose having problem with them?
    Seikuken Disciple
    "That Phantom Breaker Guy"
  • truendymiontruendymion Beer Me! Joined: Posts: 2,226
    Why do all the games I see on here have such awful names? "Punch Planet". "Fatal Fate". "Fight Verse". "Death Dark". "Killing-You-With-Fists-Guys:" "Blood Blast Vengeance Death."

Why wasn't Giga Maidens on that list :P
    Shit I missed the gameplay footage :(
    edited September 2016

Why wasn't Giga Maidens on that list :P

You were beaten to that joke sorry!

Website is up!

New teaser up for the game
    Man, huge lady grapplers are popping up everywhere now.

I am pleased.

• Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,054
    Prequel or sequel to Death Cargo?
    Man, huge lady grapplers are popping up everywhere now.

I am pleased.

I knew you would be haha
    Jion_Wansu wrote: »
    Prequel or sequel to Death Cargo?

Both

New teaser up for the game

great video, I'm doing write up of what i;m seeing. so far impress with what i'm seeing.
    Seikuken Disciple
    Some random corner footage
    Looks so dope! Looks like a fun system. Nice progression from Double Tap.
    edited October 2016
    Looks so dope! Looks like a fun system. Nice progression from Double Tap.

Thanks dude it's getting there. A lot of the gameplay mechanics from DT are still in play so I'm pretty happy about that.

Here's some footage from today:

I'm gonna be iterating on this quick video format with changes in the future, at the very least a weekly upload but possibly daily depending on how fast I can get the process down.

Edit: Gonna get some match footage tonight as well.
    Here's some match footage FT5
    edited October 2016
    So I really like the clean aesthetic but I think you could afford to add a bit more detail. For instance, Roy could maybe have a futuristic tattoo, maybe a barcode on his cheek. Maybe a patch on his jacket?
    Word thanks for the suggestions. None of the art is final right now, will definitely go through some more iterations.
    edited October 2016
    I don't think Roy should be sporting anything that should make him noticeable. he is out on the run.

I think the simplicity is this game strongest design choice. Not everything needs to be eye catching to be appealing.
    Post edited by keo-bas on
    Seikuken Disciple
    That's true. But it depends on who he's trying to blend in with. I have no idea what the average inhabitants of K-O look like but I assume since this is a sci-fi setting that there will be aliens, robots, mutants, etc.
  • sharkattacksharkattack Joined: Posts: 73
    Sweet deco look.

K-0 natives collect the heads of would-bes to the Punch Planet throne as currency? You guys are rolling in the cheese! Looking forward to this development.
    edited October 2016
    Must make paying for lunch a chore. Cheeseburger and fries, that'll be 6 infidel heads, please.

When are we gonna see Tyara, I demand to know.

• liero116liero116 #rumblepack Joined: Posts: 203
    I actually really like the simple visual style. You've managed to bring something really unique looking the genre. I don't think anything else looks anything like this at all. So cool on that.

I think the only things that slightly bother me are the hit sparks are pretty underwhelming and the super portrait should probably be layered under the characters. Maybe that's just a personal preference, but right now they seem to cover your character's super animation at certain ranges.

Mechanically the game looks pretty solid.

Looking forward to seeing more
    Thanks for the feedback yall, I'm in Mexico right now so not really posting much.

The hit sparks are ass, we threw them in to convert over to be full animation based (no particles, for rollback). Hit sparks and some more FX in general will for sure be a focus before we put up our greenlight.

Super portrait being behind the characters is a little tricky in Unity, layering isn't super easy to do when mixing 2D and 3D objects (same reason the top health bars cover the chars). Every few weeks I take a stab at it but haven't found a great solution that doesn't have other serious drawbacks. That and being able to render chars full on top of each other are both big things I want to fix.
    Super portrait being behind the characters is a little tricky in Unity, layering isn't super easy to do when mixing 2D and 3D objects (same reason the top health bars cover the chars). Every few weeks I take a stab at it but haven't found a great solution that doesn't have other serious drawbacks. That and being able to render chars full on top of each other are both big things I want to fix.

I did something like this in an experimental project a bit ago (in Unity). What I did was have 3 cameras set up for the scene. 1 camera was UI, one was for characters, and the last was for stage backgrounds. I then adjusted the depth accordingly to get it layers like this: Characters>UI>Stage. Having said that, the project was pretty simple and I didn't have any performance issues because of it. Not sure if youve tried this and found it not to work well.

You lose character to stage shadow projections when you do that. I haven't profiled rendering the character on both layers yet however, bit I'd like to avoid rendering them twice.
    Oh right. I didn't used shadows for that project. Forgot about that.
  • Hanzo_HasashiHanzo_Hasashi Primal Rage rules Joined: Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Here's some match footage FT5

WOW! It´s just me or walkspeed is way faster now? I LOVE IT. I like a lot the aestethic look of the game too. Also loving how meaties have lots of active frames so opponent can´t just jump out of wakeup. Really OG that.
  • Omnicide_CutterOmnicide_Cutter Joined: Posts: 6
    When is it coming out on Greenlight? (This year? Maybe the next one?)
    WOW! It´s just me or walkspeed is way faster now? I LOVE IT. I like a lot the aestethic look of the game too. Also loving how meaties have lots of active frames so opponent can´t just jump out of wakeup. Really OG that.

Yeah I upped the walk speed a bit, wanted more mobility for sure. Glad you like a lotta active frames, I do too!
    When is it coming out on Greenlight? (This year? Maybe the next one?)

Hopefully in the next few weeks.
    Just a quickie
    This thread needs more GIFS!
    Also updated Roy's model a bit, here's a big damage combo with it