For Honor

Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,054
Should this be @ EVO 2017?

It has a 1v1 mode and is a combination of a role playing game and a figting game


«13

Comments

  • Running WildRunning Wild Rock You Like A Hurricane Joined: Posts: 3,176
    They need to nerf the Ninja Dagger. Too broken.
    YouTube Channel - All sorts of random vidya's of fighting games and shit.
    Stream - Watch me bad in various classic fighting games.
    RB2: Xiangfei, Cheng, Mary, Geese
  • keo-baskeo-bas Joined: Posts: 1,974
    its like asking we should do Gundam VS singles, J-star vs singles. For honor is an Party/team base arena fighter. The mentioned games may provide a single mode but many of the character and mechanics were not designed with singles in mind. I wouldn't be surprise if for honor is like this. I recall hearing how Viking are good in brawling out opponents which will favors single but character like samurai whose support system us volley with poison effect may not be so great in single but effective in party match.


    Seikuken Disciple
    "That Phantom Breaker Guy"
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,054
    Reason I say single mode is because it feels like a cross between Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombat, and World of Warcraft all in one game. You got the story lore feel and fighting feel to it...
  • PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 22,008 mod
    Smash is there, have everything else too. who gives a shit.
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

    "Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,054
    This isn't like Smash. This is better and should replace Smash...
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,054
    The 1v1 option would be a good competitive style for tournaments
  • OceanMachineOceanMachine ROCKET LAUNCHER GOD Joined: Posts: 9,762
    edited January 29
    There's already a thread about the game btw.
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/213772/for-honor-beta-begins-on-january-26th-6-am-pdt-3-pm-cet
    keo-bas wrote: »
    For honor is an Party/team base arena fighter.

    Not a chance. Have you actually played it?
    [SFV] Laura, Vega [3S] Alex, Ken
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    [UNIEL] Orie [T7] Claudio
    [MvCI] Cap Marvel/Thanos (Time)
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,054
    This thread was first, lol.
  • OceanMachineOceanMachine ROCKET LAUNCHER GOD Joined: Posts: 9,762
    Oh shit I didn't see the date. I searched for old threads before opening mine but I couldn't find it.
    I'd like to move the discussion in this section though but apparently some mods think this has nothing to do with fighting games.
    [SFV] Laura, Vega [3S] Alex, Ken
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    [UNIEL] Orie [T7] Claudio
    [MvCI] Cap Marvel/Thanos (Time)
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,054
    If Pertho didn't move it then we're good... I hope :)
  • Araragi-kunAraragi-kun Joined: Posts: 346
    I don't think that this game belong here (as much as other games) but I still enjoyed it.

    Still I have some thoughts about its mechanics:
    1. Inputs felt clunky. Methods of cancelling and linking attack are all over the place. Some things can be only linked (Peacemaker grab et c.) some can be buffered and there is a type of attacks that can be cancel certain attack before it connects (and i don't see the point of it). Things that bothering me usually happen when you do some stuff (like running attack), you hit and opponent decides to run so he rolls out then you try to use chasing attack (usually forward dash+something) and you just do an empty roll or start stuttering.
    2. This game is very heavy on reaction based mechanics. So many stuff to monitor and lots of similar'ish ""QTE"" mechanics. And game can escalate from 1 to 11 in seconds in dominion. And lag + P2P making parrying and deflecting attacks too risky to use.
    3. Levelling in dominion is all over the place. I just don't get it.
    4. People that can run for free and do a 180* + light attack to interrupt your chasing attack are so annoying.

    So what are you guys think?

    P.S. There is a some strange and funny dynamic when 1v1 escalates to 2v1. If people try to mow you down with heavy attacks you getting instant Revenge gauge and get immense advantage: armor, stamina, knockdown, partial throw invincibility.
  • OceanMachineOceanMachine ROCKET LAUNCHER GOD Joined: Posts: 9,762
    I barely played dominion, I was mostly into duels (as most PC players seem to be). I think the game is a few steps away from being a good fighting game, but the presence of one hit kills on narrow maps makes those fights unidimensional and shows why one of the devs was calling it a shooter with swords.

    On the other hand the "QTE" you describe really is no different than watching if your opponent is grounded or jumping in a fighting game and block accordingly.
    [SFV] Laura, Vega [3S] Alex, Ken
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    [UNIEL] Orie [T7] Claudio
    [MvCI] Cap Marvel/Thanos (Time)
  • MoodgeMoodge Joined: Posts: 5
    I am glad to see discussion about For Honor on SRK I actually came here and made an account for it.

    Outside of Dominion (which seems like a tacked on mode for peeps who aren't as comfortable with the fighting mechanics). This game.. is an excellent fighting game! I have been playing a lot and I love the depth! Having 3 directions to guard from makes for interesting mechanics. You can combo from every direction, there are movesets that you can use that can be countered with guard. There's a block, grab, attack trinity mechanic going on as well as some great zoning and strategy.

    I can't say I am the best at fighting games and know a lot about them I just followed SRK as a lurker for a while and after playing For Honor felt like it had a place here. What a sick game!
  • Araragi-kunAraragi-kun Joined: Posts: 346
    On the other hand the "QTE" you describe really is no different than watching if your opponent is grounded or jumping in a fighting game and block accordingly.
    Yes it is similar. But there is so much stuff just to monitor: Enemy triangles (with mix ups or attack cancels), your triangles with side attacks and defence bars and et c. And range matters a lot.
    I played dominion a lot and (mostly Peacekeeper or Weaboo) I feel that there is too much weight on guesses. I really think that game have some wonky things that make you feel out of control (but I'm new and not used to it.)

    Also the real competitive mode should be 2v2. 1v1 is gutted like third of game mechanics out.

    I want to buy it but I feel how UBI want to milk me with DLC stuff and I know that this game will be on sale in less than 3 months.
  • OceanMachineOceanMachine ROCKET LAUNCHER GOD Joined: Posts: 9,762
    On the other hand the "QTE" you describe really is no different than watching if your opponent is grounded or jumping in a fighting game and block accordingly.
    Yes it is similar. But there is so much stuff just to monitor: Enemy triangles (with mix ups or attack cancels), your triangles with side attacks and defence bars and et c. And range matters a lot.

    The only real thing that matters is the range and looking at the opponent's triangles. Playing an assassin is good for this reason - your block only lasts for a limited amount of time, which forces you to hit in the right direction right before each blow.
    [SFV] Laura, Vega [3S] Alex, Ken
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    [UNIEL] Orie [T7] Claudio
    [MvCI] Cap Marvel/Thanos (Time)
  • virenviren kofxiiLEONAsprte_plz Joined: Posts: 199
    Oh see, THIS is the thread I was talking about; knew I wasn’t crazy! I remembered seeing a For Honor thread before, so it struck me as odd seeing the recent one at GD. Anyway, been watching a lot of high level footage (or what I perceive to be “high-level” anyhow). The more skillful the play, the more I am convinced that this game can be considered a fighter. Been trying to find more streams/videos of For Honor but so far I really enjoy watching TrUTa1ent. Here’s a match I enjoyed. Again, having not played the game it’s impossible to for me to gauge the actual skill being displayed; regardless, I think there’s a snippet where he does a pretty good job describing the mind games/meta during the match.

    Anyway, I’m interested in hearing the thoughts of seasoned FG players, specifically if there’re any FG concepts/ fundamentals that translate well into For Honor’s combat system aside from just reactions. According to Momochi and ChocoBlanka’s youtube channel, they had the opportunity to try the beta (probably very little, maybe even just the tutorial.) I’m really curious to hear both of their opinions on the game if they decide to play more.
  • Evolution169Evolution169 Wake up DP is unbeatable Joined: Posts: 1,061
    I think the game is a few steps away from being a good fighting game, but the presence of one hit kills on narrow maps makes those fights unidimensional and shows why one of the devs was calling it a shooter with swords.
    The devs probably said that because the shooter market is much larger than the fighting game market. I'm not saying they are wrong, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if they were told to say that for marketing purposes.
  • OceanMachineOceanMachine ROCKET LAUNCHER GOD Joined: Posts: 9,762
    I think the game is a few steps away from being a good fighting game, but the presence of one hit kills on narrow maps makes those fights unidimensional and shows why one of the devs was calling it a shooter with swords.
    The devs probably said that because the shooter market is much larger than the fighting game market. I'm not saying they are wrong, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if they were told to say that for marketing purposes.

    I think the same because definitely they went very far in integrating FG mechanics into the game to be just a coincidence. But as it stands it's too DS-like to be a true fighting game.
    [SFV] Laura, Vega [3S] Alex, Ken
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    [UNIEL] Orie [T7] Claudio
    [MvCI] Cap Marvel/Thanos (Time)
  • Evolution169Evolution169 Wake up DP is unbeatable Joined: Posts: 1,061
    I think the game is a few steps away from being a good fighting game, but the presence of one hit kills on narrow maps makes those fights unidimensional and shows why one of the devs was calling it a shooter with swords.
    The devs probably said that because the shooter market is much larger than the fighting game market. I'm not saying they are wrong, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if they were told to say that for marketing purposes.

    I think the same because definitely they went very far in integrating FG mechanics into the game to be just a coincidence. But as it stands it's too DS-like to be a true fighting game.

    What FG mechanics are in the game that wouldn't be obvious to add to a weapon combat game?
  • OceanMachineOceanMachine ROCKET LAUNCHER GOD Joined: Posts: 9,762
    I think the game is a few steps away from being a good fighting game, but the presence of one hit kills on narrow maps makes those fights unidimensional and shows why one of the devs was calling it a shooter with swords.
    The devs probably said that because the shooter market is much larger than the fighting game market. I'm not saying they are wrong, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if they were told to say that for marketing purposes.

    I think the same because definitely they went very far in integrating FG mechanics into the game to be just a coincidence. But as it stands it's too DS-like to be a true fighting game.

    What FG mechanics are in the game that wouldn't be obvious to add to a weapon combat game?

    Throws, parries, cancels, counters?
    [SFV] Laura, Vega [3S] Alex, Ken
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    [UNIEL] Orie [T7] Claudio
    [MvCI] Cap Marvel/Thanos (Time)
  • MoodgeMoodge Joined: Posts: 5
    edited January 30
    All of those exist OceanMachine. There's a dedicated cancel button, counters and parries exist in certain movesets (I think all dudes get a parry actually) and throw is a double tap on guard break.

    Edit: Just looked it up and a parry is done by blocking and then hitting heavy attack the second you get hit.
  • OceanMachineOceanMachine ROCKET LAUNCHER GOD Joined: Posts: 9,762
    That's what I'm saying.
    [SFV] Laura, Vega [3S] Alex, Ken
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    [UNIEL] Orie [T7] Claudio
    [MvCI] Cap Marvel/Thanos (Time)
  • MoodgeMoodge Joined: Posts: 5
    Aha sorry about that, I read that completely wrong.
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,604
    It's not a fighting game, doesn't belong.

    Glad people are into it tho, that's cool.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • MoodgeMoodge Joined: Posts: 5
    It's not a fighting game, doesn't belong.

    Glad people are into it tho, that's cool.

    I'm gonna challenge this because I disagree. I understand that the game is different but what IS a fighting game and what makes this not a fighting game? By everything I understand a fighting game to be this game is absolutely a fighting game. Yes it is different, but that is because it presents an evolution to a rather stagnant genre and I don't believe it really removes it from the genre entirely, it's as much of a fighting game as smash is.

    The mechanics fall in line with what you would expect with a fighting game but with a few extra bells and whistles added on the side, of which the most controversial is Dominion mode.. but hell fighting games have had weird story modes on occasion too. I believe smash had a single player side scrolling adventure campaign in one of the titles.

    I am just curious why there's this opinion that it's NOT a fighting game? why? what makes it not a fighting game?
  • NickRocksNickRocks DeathPlay Joined: Posts: 22,735
    only if maximillian is banned from being anywhere near the game
    King of the Post-09ers
    In Dusty We Trusty
    Last of the Prembers, R.I.P. my nibbas
    Maximilian is a racist thief
    https://clips.twitch.tv/maximilian_dood/DifferentBeeHeyGuys
  • Evolution169Evolution169 Wake up DP is unbeatable Joined: Posts: 1,061
    I think the game is a few steps away from being a good fighting game, but the presence of one hit kills on narrow maps makes those fights unidimensional and shows why one of the devs was calling it a shooter with swords.
    The devs probably said that because the shooter market is much larger than the fighting game market. I'm not saying they are wrong, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if they were told to say that for marketing purposes.

    I think the same because definitely they went very far in integrating FG mechanics into the game to be just a coincidence. But as it stands it's too DS-like to be a true fighting game.

    What FG mechanics are in the game that wouldn't be obvious to add to a weapon combat game?

    Throws, parries, cancels, counters?
    Throws and parries are things that already exist in weapon combat.


    How do cancels work with a cancel button? That sounds like a feint.

    How do counters work?
  • OceanMachineOceanMachine ROCKET LAUNCHER GOD Joined: Posts: 9,762
    You can feint on heavy buttons but there are also characters that can cancel moves with other stuff (berserker for instance can cancel any button into a dodge, I think the nobushi can cancel moves into stance, etc). What you can cancel is class specific.
    Counters give you unblockable attacks if you block attacks while your stance is active, pretty much like counter stances in fighting games.
    Also there are armored attacks, superior blocks that will make your opponent stagger, deflects that will automatically guard break (= throw) and zoner characters like the nobushi who can chip away the opponent's life from afar by inflicting them bleeding damage. There's a wide variety of situations and the base structure is very much about RPS, mind games and mix-ups.
    [SFV] Laura, Vega [3S] Alex, Ken
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    [UNIEL] Orie [T7] Claudio
    [MvCI] Cap Marvel/Thanos (Time)
  • Evolution169Evolution169 Wake up DP is unbeatable Joined: Posts: 1,061
    You can feint on heavy buttons but there are also characters that can cancel moves with other stuff (berserker for instance can cancel any button into a dodge, I think the nobushi can cancel moves into stance, etc). What you can cancel is class specific.
    Counters give you unblockable attacks if you block attacks while your stance is active, pretty much like counter stances in fighting games.
    Also there are armored attacks, superior blocks that will make your opponent stagger, deflects that will automatically guard break (= throw) and zoner characters like the nobushi who can chip away the opponent's life from afar by inflicting them bleeding damage. There's a wide variety of situations and the base structure is very much about RPS, mind games and mix-ups.
    Sounds pretty cool. It'll be interesting to see what the overall opinion of the game within the FGC ends up being.
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,054
    I mean... EVO has 2 Smash games or something? Isn't For Honor more of a fighting game than Smash???
  • MuttonmanMuttonman Joined: Posts: 2,855
    Jion_Wansu wrote: »
    I mean... EVO has 2 Smash games or something? Isn't For Honor more of a fighting game than Smash???

    No local play
  • Evolution169Evolution169 Wake up DP is unbeatable Joined: Posts: 1,061
    edited February 4
    Muttonman wrote: »
    Jion_Wansu wrote: »
    I mean... EVO has 2 Smash games or something? Isn't For Honor more of a fighting game than Smash???

    No local play

    For Honor doesn't have LAN play? Well then it doesn't matter if the FGC takes it seriously as a fighter because there will be no local scenes or tourneys (unless they want to deal with playing online at locals).
  • OceanMachineOceanMachine ROCKET LAUNCHER GOD Joined: Posts: 9,762
    Muttonman wrote: »
    Jion_Wansu wrote: »
    I mean... EVO has 2 Smash games or something? Isn't For Honor more of a fighting game than Smash???

    No local play

    For Honor doesn't have LAN play? Well then it doesn't matter if the FGC takes it seriously as a fighter because there will be no local scenes or tourneys (unless they want to deal with playing online at locals).

    AFAIK Pokkén doesn't have "real" local play either, yet it manages to have tourneys.
    [SFV] Laura, Vega [3S] Alex, Ken
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    [UNIEL] Orie [T7] Claudio
    [MvCI] Cap Marvel/Thanos (Time)
  • affinityaffinity Joined: Posts: 2,725
    edited February 4
    Guardian Heroes Circle City used XBL to play the tournament. online internet is anywhere, any professional tournament location has internet access



    plus how people think League of Legends and other esports play in local tournaments? they use internet, not the same PC.
  • MuttonmanMuttonman Joined: Posts: 2,855
    Muttonman wrote: »
    Jion_Wansu wrote: »
    I mean... EVO has 2 Smash games or something? Isn't For Honor more of a fighting game than Smash???

    No local play

    For Honor doesn't have LAN play? Well then it doesn't matter if the FGC takes it seriously as a fighter because there will be no local scenes or tourneys (unless they want to deal with playing online at locals).

    AFAIK Pokkén doesn't have "real" local play either, yet it manages to have tourneys.

    It has LAN, but not split screen. We don't even know if FH can do that
  • Evolution169Evolution169 Wake up DP is unbeatable Joined: Posts: 1,061
    Muttonman wrote: »
    Jion_Wansu wrote: »
    I mean... EVO has 2 Smash games or something? Isn't For Honor more of a fighting game than Smash???

    No local play

    For Honor doesn't have LAN play? Well then it doesn't matter if the FGC takes it seriously as a fighter because there will be no local scenes or tourneys (unless they want to deal with playing online at locals).

    AFAIK Pokkén doesn't have "real" local play either, yet it manages to have tourneys.

    LAN is local play.
  • affinityaffinity Joined: Posts: 2,725
    even if the FGC doesn't acknowledge its fighting game side, there are higher platforms of competition than fighting games, and more persistent metagames going on like For Honor's crossplatform Faction Wars.

    well open beta starts on thurs, so everyone can try it. I'm playing it mostly for Dominion mode, though if any game is a worthy successor to Bushido Blade 1v1 duels, this is it, and it's generations superior, more mature, more skill based (without overcomplicated command input bullshit) and more realistic than Soul Calibur games combat. would be cool if next Samurai Shodown is like it, but they probably going for the side view arcade style. ah well, maybe if For Honor gets an ongoing series, they can add POV/1st person view mode like Bushido Blade games have



  • OceanMachineOceanMachine ROCKET LAUNCHER GOD Joined: Posts: 9,762
    No please, no 3D Samurai Shodown...
    [SFV] Laura, Vega [3S] Alex, Ken
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    [UNIEL] Orie [T7] Claudio
    [MvCI] Cap Marvel/Thanos (Time)
  • Araragi-kunAraragi-kun Joined: Posts: 346
    edited February 7
    No please, no 3D Samurai Shodown...
    Actually one may say that For Hodor is a 3D Samsho "done right" (estetics aside).
  • affinityaffinity Joined: Posts: 2,725
    edited February 8
    2pm PST livestream today, a new mode and more details

    edit: the 3+ hour stream viewable here, greatest warrior game, multiplayer game and competitive game to date!!




    twitch.tv/forhonorgame

    "special For Honor live event. Twelve popular Twitch Streamer Generals (four from each faction) will compete in a live competition with special celebrity guests Jason Momoa, Alfie Allen, Lauren Cohan and more!

    Those Twitch Streamers and their teams include:

    o Team: GLORY
    > Lauren Cohan (The Walking Dead)
    > Demetrious “Mighty Mouse” Johnson (UFC Champion)
    > Dan Casey (NERDIST)
    > StoneMountain64

    o Team: JUSTICE
    > Jason Momoa (Justice League, Game of Thrones)
    > Alfie Allen (Game of Thrones)
    > Jessica Chobot (NERDIST)
    > Sodapoppin

    o Team: KNIGHT
    > Fairlight Excalibur
    > LegendaryLea
    > Teawrex
    > Lobosjr

    o Team: SAMURAI
    > Sacriel
    > CDNthe3rd
    > GoldGlove
    > FemSteph

    o Team: VIKINGS
    > Shortyyguy
    > Ezekiel_III
    > ManvsGame
    > Strippin

    Tune in to hear exciting announcements about the Open Beta, and watch the debut of gameplay from the newly announced Elimination Mode! "

    Some community comments about the stream:
    that knight vs samurai round was fantastic in showing how intense competitive is going to be
    You vastly, vastly, vaaaaaaastly underestimate Twitch's reach.
    Isn't Twitch something like one of the single most traffic'd sites on the entire internet? It caters to way, wayyyy more than just hardcore gamers.
    Open Beta can't come soon enough.

    I still need to buy the game >_>
    Game is fun to spectate. I wonder if we will SoulBrandt members dominate the scene is this game get's competitive.
    Stream sold me and 2 of my friends on the game. There is a reason those people are into promotion and marketing and you aren't. I have seen backseat driving, gaming and quarterbacking but never in my life have i seen someone so hell bent on backseat advertising.

    Back to the stream in hand that drop attack was f***ing sick.
    Post edited by affinity on
«13
Sign In or Register to comment.