For Honor

13»

Comments

• LiangHuBBBLiangHuBBB Joined: Posts: 2,179
    so what's some good starter tips in this game?
    Trying to counter an attack and then doing your own attack?
    LP attack from left and then next attack from right?
    LP attack guardbreak HP attack?
    www.youtube.com/user/LiangHuBBB
  • OceanMachineOceanMachine ROCKET LAUNCHER GOD Joined: Posts: 9,890
    1. Blocking. Especially at lower levels where everyone mashes, simply being able to block incoming attacks until the end of the string or until the opponent runs out of stamina will give you a net advantage.
    2. Guard break and tech. GB/throw is extremely powerful in the game and if you don't learn to land it or to tech your opponent's you'll be at disadvantage. GB also grants you a side heavy for all classes (some even a top heavy).
    3. Parry. Mastering this one will put you right above any scrub. You can lump deflect for the assassin classes here too. Both parry and deflect give a guaranteed GB.
    4. Feints. At higher levels, heavy feints or unblockable feints are a very common tool both to bait a parry and to mix up your opponent.

Of course you should mix up the direction of your attacks as much as possible. Remember as a general rule that top attacks tend to be slower and more damaging than side ones.
    [SFV] Laura, Vega [3S] Alex, Ken
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    [UNIEL] Orie [T7] Claudio
    [MvCI] Cap Marvel/Thanos (Time)
  • Araragi-kunAraragi-kun Joined: Posts: 349
    LiangHuBBB wrote: »
    so what's some good starter tips in this game?
    Trying to counter an attack and then doing your own attack?
    LP attack from left and then next attack from right?
    LP attack guardbreak HP attack?
    1. Learn specific character stuff. If you dont know what they can do you kinda screwed big time because everything tied around basic tools.
    2. Use defensive tools. but if you go on defense get ready to break throws.
    3. Learn what your character can do and WHY you need to do this.

EASY WAY Get Berserk: gameplan wait and ready to break thow, dodge into combo.
    Both parry and deflect give a guaranteed GB.
    I don't think so. Parry into thow can go into another attack in chain. Deflect sometimes leave you too far. Even wallslams or falls not always guarantees a free attack.

It is character dependent (some of them can't even grab after a parry), but the general rule stands.
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
    It is character dependent (some of them can't even grab after a parry), but the general rule stands.
    As a Peacekeeper main I can confirm that you can't do damn nothing 90% of the time.
  • JoeyTonesJoeyTones Joined: Posts: 1,079
    edited February 20
    Can someone explain chain attacks? With Orochi if I go for Heavy, Light, Light, i dont get to continue my pressure if they get hit by the Heavy. They block the follow up light and its their turn. What makes it a chain or "unbroken sequence".
    edited February 20
    JoeyTones wrote: »
    What makes it a chain or "unbroken sequence".

Cancer of their coders.
    Chain attacks means (startup1>active1>transition>active2>rollback) not (startup1>active1>rollback1>startup2>active2>rollback2) so if active1 is blocked they have less time to react to attack2 (AND NO TIME TO DODGE OR COUNTER)
    Post edited by Araragi-kun on
    There are no true "combos" in For Honor (as in, if A hits, doing B after that is guaranteed to hit too) with very few exceptions like Orochi's top light, Warden's side light, Nobushi's poison stab etc. What a "combo" actually means in the game are buttons that can be chained together without going into full recovery between each one of them. An opponent will still be able to block the sequence at any point.
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
  • MuttonmanMuttonman Joined: Posts: 2,868
    JoeyTones wrote: »
    Can someone explain chain attacks? With Orochi if I go for Heavy, Light, Light, i dont get to continue my pressure if they get hit by the Heavy. They block the follow up light and its their turn. What makes it a chain or "unbroken sequence".

Heavies can continue in a chain on block. Lights cannot continue on a chain on block. The exception is on Superior Block which stops heavies from chaining on block. Chains generally continue on whiff as well. You can always continue on hit.

There are very few true combos in the game; basically stuff off a guardbreak, knockdown, some parries, and then some characters have a trait to get combos.
  • SkullboySkullboy On Days Like This... Joined: Posts: 12,413
    Waiting for mine to download right now.

Can't wait to be a Weaboo Warrior. :karate:
    "Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are."

Tumblr (NSFW)
  • JoeyTonesJoeyTones Joined: Posts: 1,079
    Thanks dudes :)
  • thecapsaicinkidthecapsaicinkid drops combo, pretends it's a reset Joined: Posts: 1,016
    edited February 21
    keo-bas wrote: »
    its like asking we should do Gundam VS singles, J-star vs singles. For honor is an Party/team base arena fighter. The mentioned games may provide a single mode but many of the character and mechanics were not designed with singles in mind. I wouldn't be surprise if for honor is like this. I recall hearing how Viking are good in brawling out opponents which will favors single but character like samurai whose support system us volley with poison effect may not be so great in single but effective in party match.
    I couldn't disagree with this any more. It feels like a 1v1 fighter with arena type modes shoe-horned in to attract the COD crowd.

Saying that, it currently has some real balance issues that would not stand up to high-level play too well. I do find it pretty disappointing how closed the FGC are to new experiences though.
    Fighting game player, coder, chilli lover, ruffian.
    Taking a liking to the Shugoki (definitely my main) and Lawbringer. Haven't really tried anyone else, the game is already too much fun learning one character lol.

I know its only like 2 days in, but how are the tier lists coming along? Just curious to see how people feel on the current meta.

Conquerer, Shugoki, and Warden seem to be pretty strong.

Tumblr (NSFW)
    edited February 23
    Taking a liking to the Shugoki (definitely my main) and Lawbringer. Haven't really tried anyone else, the game is already too much fun learning one character lol.

I know its only like 2 days in, but how are the tier lists coming along? Just curious to see how people feel on the current meta.

It is hard to talk about tiers when game have progession in terms of items.
    Most of the current tier lists are bullshit. And tier lists should differ from one game mode to another.

My very general opinions:
    Top:
    Conq - shieldbashes, good 50/50, easy deflects, bash loops. Can't go offensive himself, can't finish opponent in 1 blow.
    Warlord - beardbashes, good 50/50, can trade with people and win, insane shield pushes. Slow.
    Orochi - fast attacks, side dashes into light chains, good 50/50, guardbeaks into heavy, backdash into pain. Suffers if caught on a dash.
    Berserk - side dashes erriwhere, feints, can chain hit you all day very good DPS, guardbreaks with autoguard. Suffers if deflected.
    Mid:
    errione else.
    Bottom:
    Peacekeeper - very fast attacks, can counter autoguard, Bleed, you can't run from her. Low range, one way to get in (and not very good), need tons of effort to actually kill people who block, bleed is bugged, sometimes range will bug out and you will miss dash attacks.
    Raider - Unblockables, can swing axe a lot, good ledge carry. Only fast attack is high, suffers from everyone that faster than him until prestige 3 and free revenge (when he start to 1 v 4 and don't give a shit).
    Judicator - same stuff as Rider.
    Meh.

Valkyrie will probably go strait to the top tier when she will be buffed. Probably will still need more effort to kill people but will frustrate everyone with her tons of options.

edited February 23
    deleted

edited February 23
    deleted

Duels don't apply item effects, which is what I was talking about.

Tumblr (NSFW)
  • MuttonmanMuttonman Joined: Posts: 2,868

It is hard to talk about tiers when game have progession in terms of items.
    Most of the current tier lists are bullshit. And tier lists should differ from one game mode to another.

My very general opinions:
    Top:
    Conq - shieldbashes, good 50/50, easy deflects, bash loops. Can't go offensive himself, can't finish opponent in 1 blow.
    Warlord - beardbashes, good 50/50, can trade with people and win, insane shield pushes. Slow.
    Orochi - fast attacks, side dashes into light chains, good 50/50, guardbeaks into heavy, backdash into pain. Suffers if caught on a dash.
    Berserk - side dashes erriwhere, feints, can chain hit you all day very good DPS, guardbreaks with autoguard. Suffers if deflected.
    Mid:
    errione else.
    Bottom:
    Peacekeeper - very fast attacks, can counter autoguard, Bleed, you can't run from her. Low range, one way to get in (and not very good), need tons of effort to actually kill people who block, bleed is bugged, sometimes range will bug out and you will miss dash attacks.
    Raider - Unblockables, can swing axe a lot, good ledge carry. Only fast attack is high, suffers from everyone that faster than him until prestige 3 and free revenge (when he start to 1 v 4 and don't give a shit).
    Judicator - same stuff as Rider.
    Meh.

Valkyrie will probably go strait to the top tier when she will be buffed. Probably will still need more effort to kill people but will frustrate everyone with her tons of options.

Warden is pretty much universally agreed to be top tier among the good duelists; very fast lights that combo into each other or have the Crushing Counter effect, crazy fast zoning attack with great range, he's got pretty much everything you could want. Berserker is basically the opposite, being a shitty Orochi.
  • affinityaffinity Joined: Posts: 2,844
    edited February 24
    For Honor at Final Round? like a tournament?

well the duel mode in particular is the most innovative and refreshing and gratifying competition ever experienced in the industry overall

though the other modes are awesome too the combat shines in all kinds of modes.
    Wanna watch an entertaining video of me shitting on dudes with the Raider?

No? Well here it is anyway. Complete with SF2 sound effects and everything. :cool:

Tumblr (NSFW)
    edited February 25
    what's the best to do after a parry or guard break? HP or does it depend on the character I play?
    in what situations would I cancel a HP - just to fake the opponent and then attack from the other side?

opponents who are switching their stance, I find it kinda hard to react on time and block these.
    what if two players attack at the same time, both get hit or the character with the better range & startup?
    how can I do finish moves? triangle when the opponent is dizzy? pressed it a few times, didn't seem to work.

just finally had one day off work and spent like 3 hours on this game so far to figure out a few things.
    but not everything yet because the tutorial doesn't explain all the stuff such as zone attacks, cancel etc.
    After a parry you have a guaranteed guard break on most characters. After a guard break you have a guaranteed side heavy on all characters (sometimes even a top heavy).
    [Xrd] Leo [BBCF] Bullet
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,148
    edited February 26
    I knew it. For Honor is taking over FGC just like when Mortal Kombat took over FGC in the 1990s. Everyone was playing MK games in the arcades and barely anyone played SF games...

EDIT: For Honor tournaments should be 1v1 not 3v3. This isn't KOF or Super Battle Opera...
    After a parry you have a guaranteed guard break on most characters. After a guard break you have a guaranteed side heavy on all characters (sometimes even a top heavy).

thanks.
    are there any other followups after a parry or is the guard break always the number one choice?
    also after guard break, the overhead heavy doesn't work / will be blocked because the startup is too slow?
    I see Final Round is doing a 3v3
  • appomoappomo uupps Joined: Posts: 4,598
    edited March 1
    Jion_Wansu wrote: »

2v2 and it kinda flopped since only 9 people seem to participate.
    so i doubt we will see more of it on fgc tournament which is kinda sad.

playerbase seems to be huge and it would bring potential new blood into the fgc scene.

https://smash.gg/tournament/final-round-20/events
    It is fun to see how general meta evolves.
    LiangHuBBB wrote: »
    are there any other followups after a parry or is the guard break always the number one choice?
    also after guard break, the overhead heavy doesn't work / will be blocked because the startup is too slow?
    1. Parrying light attacks and hard attacks are different. AoE attack counts as Hard attacks (I think) some special attack counts as Hard attack despite using light button.
    2. Sometimes Heavy overhead can work it is character specific.

OMG i hate matchmaking and gear.
    Played with cancerous Orochi in 4v4 elim today. He snowballed out of hands and acted cocky because he opted his gear and had huge benefits from it (2 lights + grab = you lose).
    I just want to get an order with my sub. But I need to play my main to actually carry the games.
    edited March 5
    appomo wrote: »

2v2 and it kinda flopped since only 9 people seem to participate.
    so i doubt we will see more of it on fgc tournament which is kinda sad.

playerbase seems to be huge and it would bring potential new blood into the fgc scene.

https://smash.gg/tournament/final-round-20/events

should've done 1v1
  • thecapsaicinkidthecapsaicinkid drops combo, pretends it's a reset Joined: Posts: 1,016
    I hate the For Honor community. I have never seen so much whining or refusal to try and learn solutions. The official board is horrid. Spam, nerf, cheap, blah blah blah. If Ubi listen to the community, this game is boned.
    Fighting game player, coder, chilli lover, ruffian.
    edited March 5
    I hate the For Honor community. I have never seen so much whining or refusal to try and learn solutions. The official board is horrid. Spam, nerf, cheap, blah blah blah. If Ubi listen to the community, this game is boned.

Lets be real game is not much to begin with.
    You given bunch of basic tools that do not interact much to make it all simple. Any pressure cost tons of stamina, opens you up first and heavy punishable. characters that focused on pressure usually don't have 50/50 and defensive chars have great 50/50 (whattheheck).
    Input system is wonky, you need to wait to the end of animation most of the time and there is no cancel on hit what so ever. And game can just forgot to convert attacks into specials if you trying to do it too early (I usually pressing Heavy~feint and game will not feint if you press it simultaneously).

Game is using huge amount of different buttons for singular purposes. Its like I playing MechWarrior 4 again or something.
    Game have like 3 option selects at most: PK dash OS, Valkyrie dash(? idk just heard) OS and Berserker combo OS (basically mild mashing). Most technical thing in this game is Lawbringer's Shove > unlock aim > light attack > lock aim.

And lets not talk about disgusting backdashes into rolls as free out of jail card, different guardswitch timings (Freaking Warlord's 5 frames) and gear that has 1,5 optimization ways that all lead to "max Revenge wreck people".

Ubi can't screw it up more.

P.S.: Yeah. community is full of cancer. Saw the Hurdur rules the other day "1v1's in XvX modes, no running, blah blah" but then they ban Revenge but didn't ban Gear and Abilities. So you can freaking optimize into throws, cooldowns and stuff and wreck faces with stupid stuff. At least there is not so much griefers. Yet. Still what would they do if people would stick to the meta? Get wrecked by full revenge builds, thats what.

should've done 1v1
    It would be boring as hell.

Tumblr (NSFW)
    Not really. 1v1 is FGC, right?

Also, Japanese players playing For Honor? How's this? Thought Japan couldn't have games with ESRB rating is M?

In this case I want to see their top Mortal Kombat player(s)...
  • virenviren kofxiiLEONAsprte_plz Joined: Posts: 199
    edited April 11

^Speaking of wanting to see Japanese players; anybody know what this is? Probably some sort of tournament, or maybe exhibition matches involving some well-known fighting game players from Japan. Seems to be airing March 17th on Famitsu's youtube/twitch channel. Bought the game on launch but I've only been able to play for barely a week, so I'm still interested in watching a lot of For Honor stuff. Although I'm really impressed with Kazunoko & Fuudo's performance at FR, tbh I'm not expecting a lot from this. Hopefully I'm proven wrong and we see some high level stuff, regardless gonna watch anyway out of curiosity.
    Post edited by viren on
    Is this still at EVO?
    Saw that For Honor potential update...
  • DiasFoxDiasFox The Sleepy Fox Joined: Posts: 492
    Will that update rise this game like a phoenix?
    Scrub artist : http://diasfox.tumblr.com/
    SFV:ChunLi | Tekken7:Alisa | DOA5LR:Kokoro | GGXRDRev2:Dizzy

DiasFox wrote: »
    Will that update rise this game like a phoenix?
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/6tdpq8/ubisoft_hosted_for_honor_tournament_ends_in/

Looks like laughing stock more than phoenix.

13»