SFV - Do you even play online?

PJQu3stPJQu3st Joined: Posts: 5
It's shit... it's just a steaming pile of horseshit. I live in northern Canada and getting a decent connection is a nightmare. 50% of all my matches are laced with lag, clipping, jitters.. etc. The most horrifying part of this is watching the replay, and seeing how fluid and gorgeous the game is without the constant stuttering. I play on PC, I have a hardline connection, and my internet is tops. The thing that really bothers me is: IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THIS WAY. I play 3rd Strike, Skull Girls, and Killer Instinct... all of them boast amazing online play. "That's because they're all on GGPO!"....... yeah I know... so what the fuck? We have the technology to play smooth matches online, why is SFV in the dark ages? Without a solid online scene SFV is going to die quickly... unless the people watching the CPT can enjoy the game at home they're going to stop watching (and playing).... And if you're like me there's no local tournaments to attend. I love this game so much but it's impossible to even play it properly at this point. Furthermore, the tactics people use online are... laughable, pathetic, and down right lame. I understand there are many people out there who just pick up the controller when they have free time and mash out some bullshit, but seriously.... it seems like 90% of the people playing are either braindead, or don't give a shit.... furthermore, Capcom has planted about 4 characters that allow these braindead people to smash their face on the controller and win.

At this point I'm not going to be playing anymore... I don't care about the game BECAUSE I CANT PLAY IT.... oh did I mention I'm on PC???... yeah don't even get me started on that.

Comments

• amrraedamrraed Can't contain the Thickness Joined: Posts: 3,403
    Who are these 4 characters ?
    Street Fighter 5 : Chun-Li, R.Mika, Juri (MIA) We Kolin now.
    CFN: Thxymora
    Street Fighter 5 is everything and its opposite depending on who you are asking.

• D00DD00D Joined: Posts: 15
    Ryu and Ken are very noob friendly. Easy damage and very forgiving. Not sure about the other 2 he's refering to...
    PJQu3st wrote: »
    why is SFV in the dark ages?
    Because the developers are literally stuck in the 90s arcade era.

• Geese PantsGeese Pants RIP Shatta........ Joined: Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    This thread is so scrub friendly..............
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

"Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske
  • soncissoncis Joined: Posts: 300
    Im from sweden and have for realz good internet. The online experience has been great, almost no lag at all even against amuricans or cannucs. Ofc you run into the occational russian or turk but what can you do..
    3S: Ken
    USF4: Dudley
    SFV: Alex/Ibuki/Urien(?)
  • gigglzgigglz Joined: Posts: 494
    funny how all this "I have good internet and online still sucks" comes from north america.
    Could it be that internet infrastructrure is just pure shit over there..?

I havent heard of someone with a good connection in europe complain about constantly stuttering/ laggy matches so far. If so, it always had obvious reason such as an old router/ wifi/ multiple people using it at the same time etc etc.

I've got like 1 stuttery match per day, which is fine/ acceptable.
  • spliffy_bazspliffy_baz Joined: Posts: 149
    KI plays fine. SF5 is a teleporting disaster. Funny how other games work well and SF5 does not.
  • CipherCipher Catchphraser Joined: Posts: 1,418
    KI plays fine. SF5 is a teleporting disaster. Funny how other games work well and SF5 does not.

Funny that this comes from the guy,who calls SFIV netcode amazing on steam,but doesn't even dare to mentoi it here.

@PJQu3st
    I realy want to know these 4 characters.
    Let me guess,Necalli,Nash,Mika and Ken

Maybe do the following:
    Set connection to 4-5 or 5 only and activate fight request, now you can manualy accept the matches and now 2 who tries to sell you he's a 5 can slip trough.

There is also a Steamguide that might help you :
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/310950/discussions/0/208684375411419215/
    Street Fighter: Cammy,Rose,Decapre,Juni
    King of Fighters: Leona,Athena,Whip (Rugal as DLC!!!)
    I suck at Guilty Gear! : with Jam and Ramlethal (and obviously everone else too)
    Tekken: Jun,Yshimitsu
    Overwatch: Reinhardt, D.Va, Zarya, Winston, Soldier 76, Reaper, Zenyatta

My SFV Cammyguide!
  • JoeyTonesJoeyTones Joined: Posts: 908
    East Canada here (Montreal), and 95% of my matches are smooth, whether I'm playing west coasters or Europeans. I'm on PS4 though.
  • AceKombatAceKombat (́◕◞౪◟◕‵) ”WINNERS DON’T USE ALMIGHTY.” Joined: Posts: 1,966
    edited November 2016
    PC. Haven't touched the game since weekend fight money challenges (either once a week or once a month or so)... which I regret trying to get the challenges, because the last thing I want to do is play online SFV (besides the specific people that are good connections on my/our end.) The one-sided problems still exist... and we are almost 10 months in throughout the game's lifespan. I think I've put in more online time with R6 Siege than in SFV, and FPS games aren't really my forte of choice.
    With all the hope combined... there can be a chance in SFV that Ken can, one day, walk again. #TeamWheelchair
    If interested in SFEX2+ matchmaking: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SFEX2P
    CFN: AceKombat Steam: xAceKombatx
  • ArtVandelayArtVandelay Architect Joined: Posts: 4,326
    edited November 2016
    I think he means Ken, Ryu, Necalli and Cammy, as they're are the only 4 characters in the game with true invincible reversals that do not require meter.

One thing he's right about though is how shit the online is.
    We're talking about the biggest fighting game franchise of all times, and it plays worse online than poverty games like Skullgirls, casual mashers like MKX and fucking emulated arcade games like all the GGPO games.

On top of that the game's menus and functionality outside of training room and vs, looks and feels like it was designed by a retarded intern who had 3 days to finish the job.

The retardedness that is Capcom publishing fighter profiles on fucking websites, instead of having that shit as unlockables in the game among other fun stuff, and using a F2P money system in a fucking $60 retail game is worth mentioning too.

Man, even the gameplay in parts is unfinished.
    If you really believe proximity moves aren't in the game so that "every button has more meaning" like Capcom representatives claimed or that neutral jump moves retain the same animations and hit/hurtboxes as forward/back jump moves are something that they planned, then you're retarded, too.

Shit like this and Birdie's cr.mp and Ryu's jumping lk are just symptoms of a rushed product.
    They just ran out of time to animate more moves and had to throw that pile of shit out asap.

Which is sad cuz the core game is pretty fun, I just can't bring myself to play it a lot anymore.
    There's always that one ragequitter or teleporting motherfucker, that makes me turn it off and play something that is remotely fun online.
    CFN: NaughtySenpai
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 5,159
    It's shit... it's just a steaming pile of horseshit. I live in northern Canada and getting a decent connection is a nightmare. 50% of all my matches are laced with lag, clipping, jitters.. etc. The most horrifying part of this is watching the replay, and seeing how fluid and gorgeous the game is without the constant stuttering. I play on PC, I have a hardline connection, and my internet is tops. The thing that really bothers me is: IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THIS WAY. I play 3rd Strike, Skull Girls, and Killer Instinct... all of them boast amazing online play. "That's because they're all on GGPO!"....... yeah I know... so what the fuck? We have the technology to play smooth matches online, why is SFV in the dark ages? Without a solid online scene SFV is going to die quickly... unless the people watching the CPT can enjoy the game at home they're going to stop watching (and playing).... And if you're like me there's no local tournaments to attend. I love this game so much but it's impossible to even play it properly at this point. Furthermore, the tactics people use online are... laughable, pathetic, and down right lame. I understand there are many people out there who just pick up the controller when they have free time and mash out some bullshit, but seriously.... it seems like 90% of the people playing are either braindead, or don't give a shit.... furthermore, Capcom has planted about 4 characters that allow these braindead people to smash their face on the controller and win.

At this point I'm not going to be playing anymore... I don't care about the game BECAUSE I CANT PLAY IT.... oh did I mention I'm on PC???... yeah don't even get me started on that.

Your thread should be

SF5, do you even play?
  • appomoappomo Joined: Posts: 2,661
    I think he means Ken, Ryu, Necalli and Cammy, as they're are the only 4 characters in the game with true invincible reversals that do not require meter.

We're talking about the biggest fighting game franchise of all times, and it plays worse online than poverty games like Skullgirls, casual mashers like MKX and fucking emulated arcade games like all the GGPO games.

On top of that the game's menus and functionality outside of training room and vs, looks and feels like it was designed by a retarded intern who had 3 days to finish the job.

The retardedness that is Capcom publishing fighter profiles on fucking websites, instead of having that shit as unlockables in the game among other fun stuff, and using a F2P money system in a fucking $60 retail game is worth mentioning too.

If you really believe proximity moves aren't in the game so that "every button has more meaning" like Capcom representatives claimed or that neutral jump moves retain the same animations and hit/hurtboxes as forward/back jump moves are something that they planned, then you're retarded, too.

Shit like this and Birdie's cr.mp and Ryu's jumping lk are just symptoms of a rushed product.
    They just ran out of time to animate more moves and had to throw that pile of shit out asap.

Which is sad cuz the core game is pretty fun, I just can't bring myself to play it a lot anymore.
    There's always that one ragequitter or teleporting motherfucker, that makes me turn it off and play something that is remotely fun online.

miss your posts in the sfV thread :P

appomo wrote: »

miss your posts in the sfV thread :P

Thanks for the postive reinforcement.
    I should just write an article with my angry thoughts towards the game and submit it to SRK.
    With all the trash articles on the front page, maybe my shit has a chance to be published, too. xD
  • qspecqspec Joined: Posts: 301
    Second that KI plays great. SG plays great. Hell, even shitty ol' delay-based Xrd plays pretty well. I won't touch MKX, but I'd bet my life that it plays better online too.

SFV has still not figured out its netcode. It is too hit or miss, and it misses too regularly.
  • coconutz50coconutz50 Joined: Posts: 55
    I have no idea what the OP is talking about with his "internet tops" and his poor online SF5 gaming in spite of it. I have a 3 mbps maximum throughput dsl connection with a 30 ms ping and had a good percentage of smooth and minimally lag free fights. It's only when the internet connection starts tanking (usually due to my modem/router) that I start experiencing the stuttering, freezing and disconnects. I know that I will never be able to compete on a high level based on my connection speed, but I still am able to enjoy very competitive and enjoyable matches with very little, and not game breaking lag.
  • PJQu3stPJQu3st Joined: Posts: 5
    edited December 2016
    I'll say it one more time.... I play many other games without issues, the problem is not my connection.

I think the issue is geography and architecture. Most people I talk to that live in or near large city centers don't have issues with online play (or claim 95% of their matches are decent). I feel frustrated because other games don't have this issue.... games that belong to tiny studios (when compared to Capcom). I just don't understand the logic, it feels lazy.... is Capcom out of touch? I've heard MVC3 on PS4 is also suffering from terrible online play.
  • PJQu3stPJQu3st Joined: Posts: 5
    I lol'ed at the 'I live in Northern Canada and have top tier internet' bit.

your ignorance amuses me...
  • OceanMachineOceanMachine Veteran of the Fireball Wars Joined: Posts: 6,773
    They didn't change the netcode for MvC3 so it's as terrible as it ever was.
    [SF5] Laura, Vega
    [3S] Alex, Ken
    [UNIEL] Orie
    [Xrd] Leo
  • appomoappomo Joined: Posts: 2,661

get used to it ...new game will not be better. :coffee: :

• OceanMachineOceanMachine Veteran of the Fireball Wars Joined: Posts: 6,773
    appomo wrote: »

get used to it ...new game will not be better. :coffee: :

I'll give them the benefit of a doubt. After all MvC3, SF4 and SF5 weren't developed by Capcom unlike the upcoming MvCI.
    [SF5] Laura, Vega
    [3S] Alex, Ken
    [UNIEL] Orie
    [Xrd] Leo
  • VinushikaVinushika Joined: Posts: 112
    edited December 2016
    I lol'ed at the 'I live in Northern Canada and have top tier internet' bit.

your ignorance amuses me...

Canada's internet infrastructure is some of the worst out there. I'm surprised you don't have trouble with other fighting games.

In any case, have you checked whether you're getting relayed or direct fights? Look at the little icon on the bottom of the screen when you go into a fight. If it's not two dots joined by a wiggly line (see screenshot below for how it's supposed to look), then you're getting relayed connections, which 9 times out of 10 means you're in rollback city.

RZi2yDj.jpg

If you are in fact not getting direct connections, try forwarding TCP and UDP ports 7777,7778,15000 and 5000, then try again. If you're still getting relays, then I dunno.

If you are in fact getting relays, it's supposed to be borderline. Not really Capcom's fault, I don't think you can do relayed fighting games unless all your moves are 20+ frames or something.
    Let's fight like gentlemen.
  • NickRocksNickRocks or whatever Joined: Posts: 22,110
    2 victorias? where dey at :heart:

King of the Post-09ers
    Last of the Prembers, R.I.P. my nibbas
    Maximilian is a racist thief
    https://clips.twitch.tv/maximilian_dood/DifferentBeeHeyGuys
  • Captain RyuCaptain Ryu Scoot Magee Joined: Posts: 1,001
    edited March 19
    Everyone complains of lag and nobody picks the training stage. There's significantly more lag on stages other than the training stage.
    CFN ScootMagee
  • Dan_The_ManDan_The_Man FGC Hipster Joined: Posts: 65
    *Obligatory screw SF5 play KOF post*
    #KeepDreaming
  • jebopjebop Joined: Posts: 6,890
    Why does this need bumping, and why do you think Training Stage magically solves poverty internet?
    Making man children cry on this forum is way too easy.
    edited March 19
    jebop wrote: »
    Why does this need bumping, and why do you think Training Stage magically solves poverty internet?

Because he's an idiot.
    I've played people twice and more in a row once on my training strage and the second time on their airplane or whatever and the netcode remains shit.
    There's not less frames dropping and not less rollback in these cases, so it's pretty clear that only picking training stage doesn't solve anything and the fault does not lie in the consumer's stage selection, but in Capcom's incompetence.
  • coconutz50coconutz50 Joined: Posts: 55
    *Obligatory screw SF5 play KOF post*

Obligatory you go play KOF and piss off post.
  • Captain RyuCaptain Ryu Scoot Magee Joined: Posts: 1,001
    edited March 20
    jebop wrote: »

Because he's an idiot.
    I've played people twice and more in a row once on my training strage and the second time on their airplane or whatever and the netcode remains shit.
    There's not less frames dropping and not less rollback in these cases, so it's pretty clear that only picking training stage doesn't solve anything and the fault does not lie in the consumer's stage selection, but in Capcom's incompetence.
    Settle down, killer. The thread was featured at the top of the page, otherwise I wouldn't have even noticed it.

Rollback netcode is resource intensive. I can tell you the ps4 already has a hard time running this game so any stage with a lot going on can contribute to the amount of lag you experience. Yes a bad connection is a bad connection but a good to decent connection can be made worse by playing on stages with a lot of activity due to the extra resources the hardware needs to use to render the backgrounds. Ever notice the game starts to lag a bit more during certain v triggers like Necalli's?

I never made the claim that the training stage will just magically make a bad connection playable. You also have people with bad internet streaming netflix and all other types of nonsense while playing. Bad pc's are also a factor. Still, none of you guys use the training stage even though it's better, even if only slightly better.
    Post edited by Captain Ryu on
    CFN ScootMagee
  • JasonWalravenJasonWalraven Joined: Posts: 526
    Mid Michigan and the only time my matches get laggy is between 4-6am EST when the opponets are from overseas. Northern Canada? if you live within pissing distance from the North Pole you cant expect much
  • scratchbackscratchback Joined: Posts: 960
    Here's a familiar scenario for me with this pos game. So I'm playing ranked and get matched with someone with a shitty connection. Win points, lose points whatever I don't care but I never wanna play that person again. Of course what happens next- I get matched with him again, again, again, and it never ends. Now I just close the game when I get paired with these people and proceed to lose hundreds of points every time. I'd rather disconnect than suffer through yet another unplayable match.

If these morons at Capcom had any sense they could just solve this problem by having ranked lobbies just like in SF4. Someone joins, if you don't wanna play them just kick them problem solved. Have a "same region" option and it's even better AGAIN just like in 4. Of course since all this is common sense they will never do any of it. The whole online element of this game is a complete joke.
    The inconsistency is what really grinds my gears.
    Today I fought a Guile that I fought a couple of weeks ago, when our connection sucked ass and was full of bullshit rollback on my side.
    But hey today we play and the connection is alright. No big rollbacks, not too much delay.
  • Dime_xDime_x Wasting time Joined: Posts: 8,986
    I don't play online, online plays me, 5 bars play like 3, jumping in is free, matchmaking takes a century.
    Gettin' my derp on.