Ryu Season 2

Comments

• DurantDurant Joined: Posts: 145
    Kolbe wrote: »
    Durant wrote: »
    These nerfs hurt for sure. I spent last night playing Ryu and found myself almost crying myself to sleep afterwards. I missed his throw pressure and dp invincibility. :bawling:

Desk did a combo video that I saw this morning though that has me convinced that I need to stick it out, even if just to style with him. I think I might.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxFWauiErg0

I had almost the exact same experience. I even dreamt about the whole thing, haha. I lost about 1500 LP last night. I also saw the Desk video this morning and while it's cute, it provided zero comfort for my heart, as combos are not Ryu's problem. The problem is how to get close enough to land them. Last night I just couldn't get in, zone out or even play neutral. Whenever I did get in, which is how I like to play, the new system pushed me away from my opponent. And I don't see the point of nerfing his reversal DP. I mean, even when it was invincible, one could just make a read, block and super-punish it.

Anyways... I guess I'll keep playing from time to time and hope for better changes in 2018. Meanwhile, I'll keep my emotional energy for Tekken 7.

I agree. Combos are NOT Ryu's problem.

Getting in IS a problem and with Ryu's stubby normals, we are going to have to learn how to play out of our minds much more often. Looking at it from a more holistic approach, it seems we may have to play very defensively and punish accordingly, once given the opportunity. Although mind's eye was nerfed, I am gonna experiment with this to see if there is something I can do to use this a bit more. I know I will get rekt'd once I get baited but I just find myself now lost when trying to get out of situations where we would have once mp dp'd.

Sigh
  • KolbeKolbe Joined: Posts: 106

Getting in IS a problem and with Ryu's stubby normals, we are going to have to learn how to play out of our minds much more often. Looking at it from a more holistic approach, it seems we may have to play very defensively and punish accordingly, once given the opportunity. Although mind's eye was nerfed, I am gonna experiment with this to see if there is something I can do to use this a bit more. I know I will get rekt'd once I get baited but I just find myself now lost when trying to get out of situations where we would have once mp dp'd.

Sigh

TBH, when Ryu got nerfed from SFIV to SSFIV, my only complaint was that he now had a 2-hit MP and HP Shoryuken, which makes no sense for the character, but I accepted the rest of the changes and went with it. But this... Maybe the whole thing is still too fresh and I'll get around it eventually, but as of today, he feels almost like a completely different character.
  • AnTiLooPAnTiLooP Joined: Posts: 29
    Play it more... I was frustrated to the bin I nearly thrashed my stick but it is what it is... I'm now getting used to it and adjusting..Not too bad... Just slower play...

Sigh

TBH, when Ryu got nerfed from SFIV to SSFIV, my only complaint was that he now had a 2-hit MP and HP Shoryuken, which makes no sense for the character, but I accepted the rest of the changes and went with it. But this... Maybe the whole thing is still too fresh and I'll get around it eventually, but as of today, he feels almost like a completely different character.

I agree with the completely different character comment. I really need to adjust. Just waiting to get off from work to hit the lab.
    AnTiLooP wrote: »
    Play it more... I was frustrated to the bin I nearly thrashed my stick but it is what it is... I'm now getting used to it and adjusting..Not too bad... Just slower play...

Will definitely take your advice.
    Durant - main issues is not with the extended frame times but also the longer block and hit stuns durations. The latter , esp block stun makes the game.crawl.

But we'll, we will.get through it!
    AnTiLooP wrote: »

In the words of the late Christopher Hitchens, "I have no choice".

I definitely will play it more, but it's nice to have this support group for Season 2 Ryu players. That's how the thread should be called.
  • NorieagaNorieaga FADC x ROFLCOPTER Joined: Posts: 4,212
    Is Ryu's fireball that much worse? I saw that they added one frame of startup but removed one frame of recovery. Should theoretically be better for mid-range poking, no?
    Norieaga wrote: »
    Is Ryu's fireball that much worse? I saw that they added one frame of startup but removed one frame of recovery. Should theoretically be better for mid-range poking, no?

All fireballs have the same recovery now if I remember. lp FB actually had a frame less than medium and two frames less than fp. Now all are the same as mp although I think all speeds remain the same (did not notice difference).
  • Rice_EaterRice_Eater Now more Evil Joined: Posts: 1,760
    edited December 2016
    Cestus wrote: »
    My simple wishlist is all about stHP lol:

-st HP ever special cancellable
    -st HP of MP->HP target combo ever special cancellable
    -st HP on CC to work as in early beta

-Agreed about the first part, I said the same thing.

-I didn't say the 2nd part, but I thought about it. That would actually be a very useful buff since the st. HK doesn't hit crouching.

-Again I would love this change but their is no way Capcom would give us full combo potential. The st. HK already fills that void while not hitting croucher's as a drawback. What I'd like to see for st. HP as a CC is for it to work like the 1st video did, but maybe it only has something like 16f of advantage with the push back. So all you get is HK tatsu unless you're in the corner where you can land more damaging combos.

I could live with this Ryu if he had good buffs like this or maybe MK tatsu hitting crouchers like it did during the beta. But stuff like solar plexus being +8 or air tatsu having super juggle capabilities don't mean anything. They don't even open up more possibilities. It just gives us a different way to do what Ryu could already do before which is really disappointing. Variety for the sake of variety is basically the theme of S2 Ryu.
    Post edited by Rice_Eater on
  • YouScaredNoobYouScaredNoob Joined: Posts: 148
    They gave Ryu useless buffs.. they should've just nerfed his st.lp, j.lk and damage. He was pretty honest otherwise.

Ryu has some of the stubbiest pokes in the game and it got worse.. his fireballs weren't even that great.. my mates used to react and jump over his firebalks and now it got worse.

If you guys drop Ryu for Akuma I don't blame ya'll. They nerfed Ryu way too much and made Ryus bad MU even worse by buffing them.

Fuck me dead Capcom.. nothing but a bunch of monkeys behind typewriters.
  • Arthuro_RayArthuro_Ray Joined: Posts: 220
    Norieaga wrote: »

It's worse in a way that they improved everyone anti fireballs tools even more, lots of projectile invincible stuff on frame 1.

Can't even throw fireballs at Juri, or Laura anymore from mid range, and yesterday i got hit by a lariat during the recovery of my fireball in dash distance, lmao.

• gorillacatgorillacat Joined: Posts: 365
    Ryu is still good
    gorillacat wrote: »
    Ryu is still good

I'm sure he has hidden talents. Maybe knitting?
  • paolo11paolo11 Joined: Posts: 62
    I'm Ryu user for life but I need help. Balrog seems harder to beat now on this Season. Any tips or new punishes?
  • makmak!!!makmak!!! Going Bananas! Joined: Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    LOLing at the one who disagreed on my post. Have you read these new feedbacks? Still disagree?
    It has to start somewhere
    It has to start sometime
    What better place than here
    What better time than now.....
  • DeathReaper48DeathReaper48 Joined: Posts: 246
    ryu mains crying they have to play a mid tier character now, bout to quit and become a Tekken 7 main

Im dying right now lmao
    We will make it work. :)
    I played for about an hour last night and reshaped my strategies, slowed down and stuff. Worked way better.
  • CestusCestus Sorry for my english :D Joined: Posts: 5,234
    ryu mains crying they have to play a mid tier character now, bout to quit and become a Tekken 7 main

Im dying right now lmao

I will stick with Ryu + secondary mains (Gief and Urien)as i ever do in every SF since SF2 lol

I've no problem with middle tier, personally i just don't like SFV Ryu's never wanted "role" in balancement process make them ever shy and unwilling to experiment... i will like see some flashy tricky stuff, like stHP special canc or charge hados outside VT.
    Maybe even a 4th special, but that seem in dreams realm lol

The only new VTless "tool" for me is bHK after SPS, and tbh is nothing so crazy, SPS already had some options
    Get at least special cancellable stHP will have spiced up his gameplay

And don't like dmg nerfs (in this case hpSRK)

Said that i've absolutely no problem with him go down in the tiers ladder, i will just like have the most fun/creative and hardest hitting Ryu
    I designed SFV Ken, your argument is invalid.
    "@Cestus tightened her ass up" - YagamiFire

Bring back THE kick!
  • CestusCestus Sorry for my english :D Joined: Posts: 5,234

Bring back THE kick!

I wanted that
    RyuDonkeyKick.gif

for years, but seriously, now that i've seen it give me the punch

W8S51z.gif
    KrVL1X.gif

I designed SFV Ken, your argument is invalid.
    "@Cestus tightened her ass up" - YagamiFire
    edited December 2016
    Ryu must be legit bottom 5 right now, only better than Nash, Fang, and Birdie probably, even Mika gets to keep a strong offense going if she puts your in the corner, switch to Akuma, if you mained Ryu you got most of his gameplan figured out, and you will get more free jump ins with much better AA, yay.

And then switch back after the inevitable Akuma nerf, and they buff Ryu again, he will not have a strong representation in CPT next year.
    Post edited by Arthuro_Ray on

Bring back THE kick!

I wanted that
    RyuDonkeyKick.gif

for years, but seriously, now that i've seen it give me the punch

W8S51z.gif
    KrVL1X.gif

I would argue that that particular punch is Akuma's v-skill p version.
  • shinbojanshinbojan Joined: Posts: 417
    Was range of mp nerfed? I missed several dps and i was sure that i was close enough.
  • followtherockstarfollowtherockstar Joined: Posts: 25
    edited December 2016
    Safe jump set up of CC sweep no longer works
    Post edited by followtherockstar on
  • makmak!!!makmak!!! Going Bananas! Joined: Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    LOL coming here saying that people maining ryu are crying coz your main ain't got any stupid nerfs at all. How bout you go play tekken 7 and juggle like a clown.
    It has to start somewhere
    It has to start sometime
    What better place than here
    What better time than now.....
  • HighlandfireballHighlandfireball Are you ready for a war? Joined: Posts: 7,900
    edited December 2016
    Only thing that strikes me as being better are -

The extra active frame on cr.mk is noticable, although it could be because I'm playing a lot of Akuma players and he has worse buttons than Ryu.

The Axe kick cancel is only half decent. It's nice for a block string but a bit slow to be used and abused.

The st.lk nerf is just plain stupid.

Over all I think Ryu is fine, not top tier anymore but should be ok for Ryu players that want to stick with a simple character.

The game changes however are really making me think twice about continuing with the game. It feels sluggish,it feels ..... Not like street fighter. It's hard to put my finger on it , but this might be the least enjoyable SF for me. It's not nuanced enough, everything is designed around the lowest level player.

Risk reward is all in favour of dumb.
    edited December 2016
    Over all I think Ryu is fine, not top tier anymore but should be ok for Ryu players that want to stick with a simple character.

I will admit I think I overreacted at first. The more I played him the more I adjusted to his changes. The habit of using st. Jab as a anti air was getting me killed at first but I'm getting better at not relying on it so often though I still haven't completely kicked the habit.

Anyways I thought he was bottom tier after feeling all the nerfs that first day. After more time I still think he got hit a little harder than he should have but he's OK. I think he'll settle somewhere in the middle in most tier list. Some match ups are going to be pretty tough from now on though.

And I still want special cancel st. HP as a full timer. None of this seasonal part time BS that we have right now. Probably not going to happen during S2 but hopefully Capcom comes around during S3. Having access to that at all times would have made me perfectly happy with S2 Ryu.
  • DeathReaper48DeathReaper48 Joined: Posts: 246
    he just gon be mid tier, just like he was in the last two SF.
  • AmaraAmara Joined: Posts: 9
    Daigo agrees with me.. nerfs are too much.. Ryu got rekt.

Daigo thinking of choosing Urien or Guile as his main.

Daigo is defensive and uses cr.MP as an antiair. I can see how he might think the nerfs are too much.

Is that also why you think the nerfs are too much? Who are you thinking of choosing as your new main?
    "The answer lies in the heart of battle."
  • LurkBrianLurkBrian Joined: Posts: 54
    Canceled on the very last frame b.hk xx hadouken isn't a true block string, even point blank. It's really hard to find that frame though.
  • JustinAkatsukiJustinAkatsuki Joined: Posts: 195
    At the moment im just finding it hard for him to theoretically be mid tier in season 2, how often are you gonna hit opponents with solar plexus and his axe kick? It seems he's been reduced to fireballs and anti air shoryukens
    Yeah at this point i'm not quite sure what capcom was intending with the seasonal changes. Like how is ryu supposed to be played optimally? Zoning style? His fireball has way to much recovery for that to really be a thing. Neutral? They nerfed his best poke and buffed some extremely slow normals. Vtrigger oriented? Sure, he gets more vtrigger bar on a successful parry but they also nerfed his recovery.

It just feels like the game is rewarding players for playing really dumb neutral(mash sweep in neutral,random dash ins,etc). It's like, do you play solid or do you play random?

I have this feeling that capcom doesn't know what they want to do with ryu. They're afraid to take a direction with him so they sit on their hands.
  • YouScaredNoobYouScaredNoob Joined: Posts: 148
    Amara wrote: »
    Daigo agrees with me.. nerfs are too much.. Ryu got rekt.

Daigo thinking of choosing Urien or Guile as his main.

Daigo is defensive and uses cr.MP as an antiair. I can see how he might think the nerfs are too much.

Is that also why you think the nerfs are too much? Who are you thinking of choosing as your new main?

Well tbh they nerfed me rather than Ryu. When they did this I decided that they ruined everything about Ryu thats fun for me:

*nerfed horizontal hitbox on sweep and made it slower.
    *nerfed st.lk horizontal hitbox
    *nerfed his lp fireballs recovery fmd.
    *nerfed cr.mp is now 6f startup

I relied on these the most and it helped me win the last s1 tourny in Sydney.

I understand the nerfs to j.lk and st.lp I never used that shit on me anyway so my gameplan didnt change but they nerfed his normals and his fireball and that made me think what the fuck man.. even Daigo is confused at his neutral buttons nerf because lets face it.. his neutral wasnt his strong point.. it was his awesome aggression and his ability to play so defensively.

I went back to my original main, Laura. I had a strong Laura back in s1 so now I'm hoping to bring my Laura to the level of my Ryu.

Don't get me wrong I love everything about Ryu, easily one of the most fun characters I ever used in SF history but he isn't tournament viable for me, I feel like hes usable but I think Laura is a much stronger tournament character than Ryu. Thats my 5 cents.

I will never drop him but goddamn why use Ryu when Akuma is just a better version of him?
  • TouchdownTouchdown Joined: Posts: 492
    edited December 2016
    Capcom said merry Christmas Ryu players.

lolololol
    "I see many intermediate to intermediate-advanced players stuck in the realm of theory fighting. They are stuck in their minds, hung up on making “the right decision” at every point in the game..These players don’t play with enough intuition, with enough “feeling,” with enough creativity, unpredictability, and daring..."
  • HighlandfireballHighlandfireball Are you ready for a war? Joined: Posts: 7,900
    edited December 2016
    You gota be an utter sad fuck if you come into other threads to laugh at character nerfs. Prolly the same dudes that caused the problem in the first place with their constant bitching. Can't wait to see the backlash when you scrubs play Laura and Urien in Season 2 and you don't know which way to block or when to press a button. You'll be begging for Ryu and Chun back.
    Yeah at this point i'm not quite sure what capcom was intending with the seasonal changes. Like how is ryu supposed to be played optimally? Zoning style? His fireball has way to much recovery for that to really be a thing. Neutral? They nerfed his best poke and buffed some extremely slow normals. Vtrigger oriented? Sure, he gets more vtrigger bar on a successful parry but they also nerfed his recovery.

It just feels like the game is rewarding players for playing really dumb neutral(mash sweep in neutral,random dash ins,etc). It's like, do you play solid or do you play random?

I have this feeling that capcom doesn't know what they want to do with ryu. They're afraid to take a direction with him so they sit on their hands.

What do you mean by "way too much recovery"? Ryu has been known for strong zoning for 25 years, his fireball recovery in V is around the same as in IV (counting the changes to jump frames), and I think faster than in SF2.

Which best poke? The cr.MP that now hits further forward? The cr.MK that is now one frame slower like the mediums of half the cast? The axe kick that now works better at max range because it is special-cancellable, and if spaced right causes punishes to whiff (and lets you get cr.HP combos)? The only thing I can see you meaning is st.LK.

"Nerfed his recovery"? 3 more frames on a 29-frame whiff?

Ryu has always been able to strategically sweep in neutral, and if you think never dashing in makes you more solid, you're just wasting a tool you were given.

Capcom clearly knows what they want to do with Ryu. The same thing they want to do with nearly every other character. They want to separate players by their skill levels using spacing to test their execution.

The optimal way to play Ryu is "well". He does most things decently, it's up to you to do them well.
    edited December 2016
    I didn't play the older games beyond mashing level, dirty 16' er here, but back then fireballs had much more pushback on block, leaving you safe to spam more hadukens freely, and also had much stronger anti airs and fewer, easy to use, anti fireballs tools, that makes a lot of difference even if the recovery is similar, Ryu can't have a gameplan around fireballs in such a jumping game.

And even if he can dash, and gets closer to do mixups, or meaty you, his pressure ends in 2 hits, and if he grabs you he can't do shit to keep momentum going, even in the corner, someones dash at you, you can't punish it properly because cr.mp, st.lk xx tatsu doesn't reach anymore, and i don't understand things like cr.mk having more startup, it's one of the worst cr.mk in the game, and you lose a counter hit link off cr.mp, nerfing his sweep and st.mp doesn't makes sense either, it's like Capcom put some user of eventhubs to balance him, he might as well be the Dan of SFV now, that's why i switch to Akuma, at least i will make them know true cheapness =P

What do you mean by "way too much recovery"? Ryu has been known for strong zoning for 25 years, his fireball recovery in V is around the same as in IV (counting the changes to jump frames), and I think faster than in SF2.

Which best poke? The cr.MP that now hits further forward? The cr.MK that is now one frame slower like the mediums of half the cast? The axe kick that now works better at max range because it is special-cancellable, and if spaced right causes punishes to whiff (and lets you get cr.HP combos)? The only thing I can see you meaning is st.LK.

Ryu has always been able to strategically sweep in neutral, and if you think never dashing in makes you more solid, you're just wasting a tool you were given.

Capcom clearly knows what they want to do with Ryu. The same thing they want to do with nearly every other character. They want to separate players by their skill levels using spacing to test their execution.

The optimal way to play Ryu is "well". He does most things decently, it's up to you to do them well.

At least you got this bit right. They do want to make the game standardised so beginners don't need to learn anything.

-Indeed he has been known for strong zoning for decades but the loss of invincibility on his dp drastically hurts that aspect of his game. Last second dps have always been a very important part of his arsenal. Now you eat a counter hit.

-Yes, I meant st lk. easily his best poke. Used for long range confirms, punishes on a lot of -4 moves, and an excellent counter poke. Throwing out axe kicks are really risky, and honestly the buff isn't all that's cracked up to be.

-Notice that I never explicitly said people should "never dash in". Of course there's a time in place to dash in to keep your opponent on their toes, but in this game it feels like more abuse of the system than anything else. Like, i'm pretty sure i'm not the only person in the world who's had a season 1 nash dash in on them, press a button, and I eat a counter hit. It's gimmicky gameplay.

-You said it better than I could have. lets add 3 more frames to something that already takes an eon to recover from... why?
    Only thing that strikes me as being better are -

The extra active frame on cr.mk is noticable, although it could be because I'm playing a lot of Akuma players and he has worse buttons than Ryu.

The Axe kick cancel is only half decent. It's nice for a block string but a bit slow to be used and abused.

The st.lk nerf is just plain stupid.

The game changes however are really making me think twice about continuing with the game. It feels sluggish,it feels ..... Not like street fighter. It's hard to put my finger on it , but this might be the least enjoyable SF for me. It's not nuanced enough, everything is designed around the lowest level player.

Risk reward is all in favour of dumb.

Just what I had in mind. You said it right. It doesn't feel like SF anymore.

Contemplating on quitting the game not because we can't adapt to change, but rather, it just feels darn slow and thus odd game play.
    I'm sure someone already discovered it first but I just found out a cool way to use cancelable axe kick. If you V Trigger cancel a anti air axe kick you can juggle into full EX DP or Super, with Super being the main reason why you would want to do this. Not a very big deal since this is not something you have access to often. But when you do have it you basically have the air and ground covered when it comes to using V Trigger to react to something so you can punish with super.

It kind of feels like a anti air DP, FADC, Ultra. Another thing, the meter gain buff from parry basically nullifies Akuma's 3 hit shaku from full screen. Parrying a 3 hit shaku gives Ryu half a bar, 4 gives him full access to V Trigger. I'm still kind of down on S2 Ryu, but it's nice to find some good things about him.

• shinbojanshinbojan Joined: Posts: 417
    Well, I am not scared of playing mirrors anymore.
    I need a new main. Tried Akuma and just don't like him. Will probably move to Guile, Ken or Ibuki.
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Ibuki and Juri BUFFZ Joined: Posts: 52,361 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited December 2016
    Rice_Eater wrote: »
    I'm sure someone already discovered it first but I just found out a cool way to use cancelable axe kick. If you V Trigger cancel a anti air axe kick you can juggle into full EX DP or Super, with Super being the main reason why you would want to do this. Not a very big deal since this is not something you have access to often. But when you do have it you basically have the air and ground covered when it comes to using V Trigger to react to something so you can punish with super.

It kind of feels like a anti air DP, FADC, Ultra. Another thing, the meter gain buff from parry basically nullifies Akuma's 3 hit shaku from full screen. Parrying a 3 hit shaku gives Ryu half a bar, 4 gives him full access to V Trigger. I'm still kind of down on S2 Ryu, but it's nice to find some good things about him.

People are definitely sleeping on the new Ryu. If Daigo, XSK Saumurai, that Domincan Ryu or anyone else sticks to him, I think people will be surprised. Those buffs are very significant and I would say he technically wins every fireball war now. With Nash you can at least throw EX fireballs at him to throw off his V Skill absorption, but Ryu can parry all fireballs down and make them add to his gauge. He essentially has to be rushed down now unless you can zone with pokes like a Karin, Chun or Cammy.

Plus 2 on block EX fireball is being very slept on also. So is b+HK in general. Another button that creates true block string into fireball from anything but absolute max range like c.MP and since it's a heavy will win priority trades easily vs abuseable medium and light pokes

Not to mention people don't realize how many places you can still use meterless DPs. You will still see them a lot. Ryu player thinks you're going to screw up your meaty? Meterless DP works there. Throwing out too many buttons or specials in neutral? Meterless DP works there. Doing a frame trap with a 3 frame gap? Meterless DP works there. He catches you early with a jump in, there too.

Kunoichi is always in V Trigger

BUFF CITY.  Population IBUKI

SFV: Ibuki (Main Bae), Juri (Buffed Bae), Chun Li (Needs Buffs Bae)

KOF XIV: Nakoruru/Iori/KDash

SFIV: Nobody hate that shit (PROTIP: Everyone on SRK hates SFIV)

3S: Ibuki (main), Alex

If I ever pick up Xrd: Johnny

PSN: PervyJin01

CFN: PervyJin01 (PS4) Twitch: c88deviljin01

There are no fireball wars on SF5 Jin unless you're playing Guile - which he monsters. Stop sprinkling your magic dust in the Ryu thread!

....whiff punishing with a 8 frame sweep in 6 frames of lag.... Might as well be mortal Kombat.
    Jin the ex hadoken being +2 onblock is definitely a nice change... but I don't think anyone is sleeping on it. There are very few situations where we can take advantage of the plus frames.
    I didn't play the older games beyond mashing level, dirty 16' er here, but back then fireballs had much more pushback on block, leaving you safe to spam more hadukens freely, and also had much stronger anti airs and fewer, easy to use, anti fireballs tools, that makes a lot of difference even if the recovery is similar, Ryu can't have a gameplan around fireballs in such a jumping game.

And even if he can dash, and gets closer to do mixups, or meaty you, his pressure ends in 2 hits, and if he grabs you he can't do shit to keep momentum going, even in the corner, someones dash at you, you can't punish it properly because cr.mp, st.lk xx tatsu doesn't reach anymore, and i don't understand things like cr.mk having more startup, it's one of the worst cr.mk in the game, and you lose a counter hit link off cr.mp, nerfing his sweep and st.mp doesn't makes sense either, it's like Capcom put some user of eventhubs to balance him, he might as well be the Dan of SFV now, that's why i switch to Akuma, at least i will make them know true cheapness =P

If your perception of what a "gameplan around fireballs" means is "spamming a lot of fireballs uncontested", then yes, Ryu doesn't have one in this game. The only character I know of who can do that is Guile.
  • JustinAkatsukiJustinAkatsuki Joined: Posts: 195
    Rice_Eater wrote: »

People are definitely sleeping on the new Ryu. If Daigo, XSK Saumurai, that Domincan Ryu or anyone else sticks to him, I think people will be surprised. Those buffs are very significant and I would say he technically wins every fireball war now. With Nash you can at least throw EX fireballs at him to throw off his V Skill absorption, but Ryu can parry all fireballs down and make them add to his gauge. He essentially has to be rushed down now unless you can zone with pokes like a Karin, Chun or Cammy.

Plus 2 on block EX fireball is being very slept on also. So is b+HK in general. Another button that creates true block string into fireball from anything but absolute max range like c.MP and since it's a heavy will win priority trades easily vs abuseable medium and light pokes

Not to mention people don't realize how many places you can still use meterless DPs. You will still see them a lot. Ryu player thinks you're going to screw up your meaty? Meterless DP works there. Throwing out too many buttons or specials in neutral? Meterless DP works there. Doing a frame trap with a 3 frame gap? Meterless DP works there. He catches you early with a jump in, there too.

I feel you are doing too much theory fighting there. Yes its cool if he has ex fireball +2 on block and buffed axe kick but in practice if these tools dont change his mu's or dont improve his tools then ryu will have a problem in season 2.
    Discovered something:

The range of s1 s.lk is now exactly the same range as c.mp

How does that affect gameplay ? Not sure but it is useful in footsies using normals and catching the opponent at the edge of c.mp. potential frame trap perhaps?