Ryu Season 2

1356789

Comments

  • TouchdownTouchdown Joined: Posts: 493
    edited December 2016
    You gota be an utter sad fuck if you come into other threads to laugh at character nerfs. Prolly the same dudes that caused the problem in the first place with their constant bitching. Can't wait to see the backlash when you scrubs play Laura and Urien in Season 2 and you don't know which way to block or when to press a button. You'll be begging for Ryu and Chun back.

    I am a Ryu player. And I lulz at capcom for the very reason you posted.

    Also, why in God's green earth is my REVERSAL DP's, let alone my DP's in general getting cr. MP, thrown etc?
    What is this?!!!!


    Post edited by Touchdown on
    "I see many intermediate to intermediate-advanced players stuck in the realm of theory fighting. They are stuck in their minds, hung up on making “the right decision” at every point in the game..These players don’t play with enough intuition, with enough “feeling,” with enough creativity, unpredictability, and daring..."
  • KolbeKolbe Joined: Posts: 133
    edited December 2016
    Touchdown wrote: »

    Also, why in God's green earth is my REVERSAL DP's getting cr. MP, thrown etc?
    What is this?!!!!

    Because there is no God. And yes, what's the point? It's not like it was completely free or cancelable like in SFIV. If you read your opponent's intentions, said DP's were heavily punishable.

    I went from Super Gold to Ultra Silver, so salt alert: why can Gouki and Ken cancel their specials into V-Trigger but Ryu can't? What's the rule?
    PSN: KolbeSgf

    T7: Feng, Jin, maybe someone else
    GG Rev2: Ky
    SFV: Ryu
  • TouchdownTouchdown Joined: Posts: 493
    edited December 2016
    Kolbe wrote: »
    Touchdown wrote: »

    Also, why in God's green earth is my REVERSAL DP's getting cr. MP, thrown etc?
    What is this?!!!!

    Because there is no God. And yes, what's the point? It's not like it was completely free or cancelable like in SFIV. If you read your opponent's intentions, said DP's were heavily punishable.

    I went from Super Gold to Ultra Silver, so salt alert: why can Gouki and Ken cancel their specials into V-Trigger but Ryu can't? What's the rule?

    1.The rules are that DP's on reversal should not be getting MP, jabbed etc due to invincibility on startup. That is an atrocity! Takes away from the word "special" move.

    2. The Fool has said in his heart there is no God. All the purposeful knowledge in the world, the order of creation, herbs, air and seasons for living is UNDENIABLE evidence that there is a God.
    Post edited by Touchdown on
    "I see many intermediate to intermediate-advanced players stuck in the realm of theory fighting. They are stuck in their minds, hung up on making “the right decision” at every point in the game..These players don’t play with enough intuition, with enough “feeling,” with enough creativity, unpredictability, and daring..."
  • ajyou003ajyou003 Joined: Posts: 123
    why can Gouki and Ken cancel their specials into V-Trigger but Ryu can't? What's the rule?
    I'm quite positive this is only accessible to characters with 3 bar triggers (and IIRC not even all 3 bar characters).
  • Arthuro_RayArthuro_Ray Joined: Posts: 224
    edited December 2016
    ajyou003 wrote: »
    why can Gouki and Ken cancel their specials into V-Trigger but Ryu can't? What's the rule?
    I'm quite positive this is only accessible to characters with 3 bar triggers (and IIRC not even all 3 bar characters).

    Chun li, and Nash can do it as well, Chun li got added in s2, would be cool if they added that to Ryu as well, now that unblockable setups are useless against almost everyone if they have a bar.

    Instead we got an air tatsu that can combo into CA, yay. =_=*
  • BiGViCBiGViC Joined: Posts: 21
    -Indeed he has been known for strong zoning for decades but the loss of invincibility on his dp drastically hurts that aspect of his game. Last second dps have always been a very important part of his arsenal. Now you eat a counter hit.

    I'm no expert but his AA MP DP is still very good. I am able to catch people deep all the time for full damage. I was worried about the change to his DP for AA reasons but jumping on Ryu is still a big no no. Ryu is still solid.
    "Loyalty To The End"
  • HighlandfireballHighlandfireball Are you ready for a war? Joined: Posts: 8,123
    edited December 2016
    Dp xx trigger is -5 on block for ken which is full combo. I'd assume that's the same for Akuma but I've not seen his data yet. That wouldn't work with Ryu anyway, it would be a giant waste of meter since you probably wouldn't get any juggle after and the Dp isn't invincible any more.

    I'm ok with the Ryu changes, I don't like them, but I'm not doing any worse really and I'm playing a more offensive version of him at the moment. A buff that I think would have rounded him off perfectly would be to make cr.mk xx fireball always connect on hit, I don't mind if they want to not make it a true block string, but playing footsies we are leaving damage on the table from lows and it would have made his super cancel stronger. I realise cr.mp sort of fills that void, but the fact that cr.mk hits low is a big bonus.

    The buffs he got, I've not really implemented although I do occasionally throw in a axe kick xx fireball, it seems to leave you at a good spot for a whiff punish if the opponent presses a button, it looks like they should reach Ryu with the outstreched fireball animation but they usually don't. So something like Axe kick both hits xx fireball then cr.mp xx fireball as they recover sometimes can catch the return button on whiff.

    Still having a good sit down with him, I'm not playing much characters apart from an Army of Akuma's at the minute so it's hard to get a full picture.

  • Rice_EaterRice_Eater Now more Evil Joined: Posts: 1,763
    ajyou003 wrote: »
    why can Gouki and Ken cancel their specials into V-Trigger but Ryu can't? What's the rule?
    I'm quite positive this is only accessible to characters with 3 bar triggers (and IIRC not even all 3 bar characters).

    Instead we got an air tatsu that can combo into CA, yay. =_=*

    This would actually be a good buff if his air tatsu hits crouchers since air LK tatsu is actually a decent way to get around standing anti air normals. But it's useless when you're facing someone like Balrog who is going to cr. HP every time.

    Again Capcom already had that in mind that they didn't want to give Ryu something reliable and made it more situational or match up based instead.
  • HighlandfireballHighlandfireball Are you ready for a war? Joined: Posts: 8,123
    Or make it cross up like the other shoto's. Then he'd have his gimmick.
  • makmak!!!makmak!!! Going Bananas! Joined: Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    It would be a pathetic reason to jump ship just because daigo etc.. made so.

    Yeah adjusting is part of the game but sometimes you hit a wall and it becomes too much. Ryu has always been the favorite for these nerda.

    Never I have changed mains. In 3S there were a lot of yun, chun and ken but I stuck with ryu and was able to hold my own against them. That's why I love that game. He isn't top tier but can beat them depending on the player.

    Unfortunately some players cannot adapt and had to bitch for nerfs nowadays.
    It has to start somewhere
    It has to start sometime
    What better place than here
    What better time than now.....
  • oodkoodk Joined: Posts: 315
    I'm switching between Ryu, Akuma and Laura lately. Can't decide to stay with Ryu or Just go with one of those characters.
  • AnTiLooPAnTiLooP Joined: Posts: 29
    oodk wrote: »
    I'm switching between Ryu, Akuma and Laura lately. Can't decide to stay with Ryu or Just go with one of those characters.

    Was in the same thought boat as you... Tried akuma, felt really different also he is pretty much a super shoto. Came back to Ryu and it feels great. :)

    Laura is just top tier and well... Don't like throwers
  • redrapperredrapper I don't even use this name no more... Joined: Posts: 622
    I rarely post, but I'm gonna do it now.

    I agree with the AA nerf because tbh theres too many people reliant on mashing out DP during a blockstring and on wakeup. I've missed meaties since the older games and I'm fine with the change.

    I think the lk nerf is dumb but it' happened so deal.

    i also feel like while it's totally understandable to bitch about being nerfed a ton-- some of us do want to keep playing this character, and in either this thread or another we should start formulating overall pivots for strategy. If all we do is keep bitching we're still gonna be stuck here.

    So if anybody has any ideas post patch for pivot with Ryu that doesn't involve switching to Akuma, please list. I'm in NORCAL till Thurs visiting my GF so I can't really do any meaningful study till I'm back with a PS4 in hand.
    I don't know what to put here.
  • TouchdownTouchdown Joined: Posts: 493
    edited December 2016
    redrapper wrote: »
    I agree with the AA nerf because tbh theres too many people reliant on mashing out DP during a blockstring and on wakeup. I've missed meaties since the older games and I'm fine with the change.
    Nah, taking away the THREAT of a DP is stupid. If a player is able to mash out through block strings, that is on the player for messing up the strings or because he/she is careless and not looking out for DP. You can also bait out mashed DP's on Blcok strings too. It just takes away from having BOTH players think about these things and is what made SF fun. Now that fun factor is gone.

    Now I have to lolol at my "special [nothing special about it now]" move when it gets casually jabbed and thrown. This tactic is catering to lame scrubs who cry "masher" every time they lose [who am I kidding they even say that when they win] to a ryu or Ken. They could never handle it, so guess what, lets just weaken the system for them.

    Some event hub members work for Capcom, tell the mods to inquire!


    "I see many intermediate to intermediate-advanced players stuck in the realm of theory fighting. They are stuck in their minds, hung up on making “the right decision” at every point in the game..These players don’t play with enough intuition, with enough “feeling,” with enough creativity, unpredictability, and daring..."
  • makmak!!!makmak!!! Going Bananas! Joined: Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited December 2016
    In 3S you cannot mash dp. Once you let go of block you will be hit by the string.

    They should have removed auto block in sfv if they want to avoid mashing. Make players commit to blocking.
    Post edited by makmak!!! on
    It has to start somewhere
    It has to start sometime
    What better place than here
    What better time than now.....
  • redrapperredrapper I don't even use this name no more... Joined: Posts: 622
    Touchdown wrote: »
    redrapper wrote: »
    I agree with the AA nerf because tbh theres too many people reliant on mashing out DP during a blockstring and on wakeup. I've missed meaties since the older games and I'm fine with the change.
    Nah, taking away the THREAT of a DP is stupid. If a player is able to mash out through block strings, that is on the player for messing up the strings or because he/she is careless and not looking out for DP. You can also bait out mashed DP's on Blcok strings too. It just takes away from having BOTH players think about these things and is what made SF fun. Now that fun factor is gone.


    I don't know about you but 3S, CVS2, A2, and even ST were fun without the threat of a random DP just that nobody earned coming out of nowhere. I would rather have frame traps than random DP bullshit. Also If i knock you down you better take that hit because i earned it and learn how to deal with it. idk, that's always how I enjoyed SF and I know a lot of people who fucking hated 4 when it came out for the reason that the reversal windows and the invincibility on DP's and the like made meaty's nigh impossible.

    to each his own though. But it's not an eventhubs scrub thing. a lot of old school players like this change.
    I don't know what to put here.
  • TouchdownTouchdown Joined: Posts: 493
    edited December 2016
    redrapper wrote: »
    I don't know about you but 3S, CVS2, A2, and even ST were fun without the threat of a random DP just that nobody earned coming out of nowhere. I would rather have frame traps than random DP bullshit. Also If i knock you down you better take that hit because i earned it and learn how to deal with it. idk, that's always how I enjoyed SF and I know a lot of people who fucking hated 4 when it came out for the reason that the reversal windows and the invincibility on DP's and the like made meaty's nigh impossible.

    to each his own though. But it's not an eventhubs scrub thing. a lot of old school players like this change.
    That's what made SF4 exciting, the mind games, the various options you had to watch out for and make sure your strings are on point. I felt a third hand touching my controller when I baited out DP's on blockstrings, and DP'd an overconfident careless block string, punishing both with joy, ah, good times. Now we have normal's stuffing DP's on Block strings, this is noob friendly ridiculousness. Don't get me wrong, I still bait out stuff but I will also by accident jab a DP, lol.
    Post edited by Touchdown on
    "I see many intermediate to intermediate-advanced players stuck in the realm of theory fighting. They are stuck in their minds, hung up on making “the right decision” at every point in the game..These players don’t play with enough intuition, with enough “feeling,” with enough creativity, unpredictability, and daring..."
  • makmak!!!makmak!!! Going Bananas! Joined: Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Man ryu is so free on wake up.
    It has to start somewhere
    It has to start sometime
    What better place than here
    What better time than now.....
  • AlkipotAlkipot Purse first, ass last Joined: Posts: 1,759
    makmak!!! wrote: »
    Man ryu is so free on wake up.

    Use meter.
    SFV CFN - EvilMuffinMan (Laura, Guile, Birdie)
    Watch my terrible SFV/For Honor/UFC2 play here!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Alkipot
  • AnTiLooPAnTiLooP Joined: Posts: 29
    Been thrashing around real hard with ryu. Looks like c.mp is really good in footsies during normal game play.

    Also, j.heavy , s.mp x2, s.HP , s.hk / mix up vt and super is really good.

    Try it.
  • YouScaredNoobYouScaredNoob Joined: Posts: 148
    Ryu should still be played like s1.. just the only differences are no oki off f.grab, no inv uppercut and j.lk got nerfed.

    Still play your basic Ryu game and you'll rekt as you normally did.

    Just no more cheap stuff and I'm ok with it.. guess we just gotta get used to his slower normals.
  • makmak!!!makmak!!! Going Bananas! Joined: Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Alkipot wrote: »
    makmak!!! wrote: »
    Man ryu is so free on wake up.

    Use meter.

    LOL meter dependant ryu on wakeup.
    It has to start somewhere
    It has to start sometime
    What better place than here
    What better time than now.....
  • TouchdownTouchdown Joined: Posts: 493
    ^Just block makmak!
    "I see many intermediate to intermediate-advanced players stuck in the realm of theory fighting. They are stuck in their minds, hung up on making “the right decision” at every point in the game..These players don’t play with enough intuition, with enough “feeling,” with enough creativity, unpredictability, and daring..."
  • KolbeKolbe Joined: Posts: 133
    Any tips for waking up against command grab characters?
    PSN: KolbeSgf

    T7: Feng, Jin, maybe someone else
    GG Rev2: Ky
    SFV: Ryu
  • PainguinPainguin Joined: Posts: 118
    Rofl. The "nerfs" Ryu received is nothing compared to what they did to Chun.
  • PainguinPainguin Joined: Posts: 118
    edited December 2016
    Touchdown wrote: »
    redrapper wrote: »
    I agree with the AA nerf because tbh theres too many people reliant on mashing out DP during a blockstring and on wakeup. I've missed meaties since the older games and I'm fine with the change.
    Nah, taking away the THREAT of a DP is stupid. If a player is able to mash out through block strings, that is on the player for messing up the strings or because he/she is careless and not looking out for DP. You can also bait out mashed DP's on Blcok strings too. It just takes away from having BOTH players think about these things and is what made SF fun. Now that fun factor is gone.

    Now I have to lolol at my "special [nothing special about it now]" move when it gets casually jabbed and thrown. This tactic is catering to lame scrubs who cry "masher" every time they lose [who am I kidding they even say that when they win] to a ryu or Ken. They could never handle it, so guess what, lets just weaken the system for them.

    Some event hub members work for Capcom, tell the mods to inquire!


    You can still bust out opponents' imperfect block strings. Anything with more than 2 frame gap you can time your DP out. You just cannot mash it out mindlessly after initial blocking. And you are talking about carelessness?
  • makmak!!!makmak!!! Going Bananas! Joined: Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Yeah I know how to block since sf 2.
    Kolbe wrote: »
    Any tips for waking up against command grab characters?

    This is what I have been talking about.

    So how many spd ryu receives before getting a single bar?
    It has to start somewhere
    It has to start sometime
    What better place than here
    What better time than now.....
  • oodkoodk Joined: Posts: 315
    Best bet is to jump lol but still can be punish
  • CestusCestus Sorry for my english :D Joined: Posts: 5,474
    I'm getting so used to stHP->Specials, but seriouslyneed to become a thing even without VT and to work also as MP>HP>

    Ryu will be so much more fun
    I designed SFV Ken, your argument is invalid.
    "@Cestus tightened her ass up" - YagamiFire
  • CobraKaiCobraKai Joined: Posts: 584
    His DP gets stuffed and jabbed out of. What's worse is he gets thrown out of it.

    The stubby normals makes only 2 approaches, jump or fireball. SF2Turbo Ryu was better than this.
    Im done with the game its boring me, they sucked out all the fun.

    Might be back when the new characters hit.
  • yatesyates RandomDragonPunches Joined: Posts: 66
    Kolbe wrote: »
    Any tips for waking up against command grab characters?

    Watch this video, and then go test out some different scenarios in the lab.

    "I'm ALWAYS jacking off on GGPO." - dreamfire -
  • yatesyates RandomDragonPunches Joined: Posts: 66
    edited January 5
    ^^^^

    Pardon the mishap at 2:07. I'd intended to showcase Laura's ST.LK~HCB+LK on Block, not Hit. I accidentally punched in the incorrect clip. Please do note that LP DP will still escape that Tick Throw on Block, without Reversal timing.

    Also, my Frame Data from Oki Calculator was out-of-date, and I didn't realize her Command Throw was 5F, now.

    The point is, the shit works against throws.
    Post edited by yates on
    "I'm ALWAYS jacking off on GGPO." - dreamfire -
  • KolbeKolbe Joined: Posts: 133
    yates wrote: »
    The point is, the shit works against throws.

    I watched it last night! Good stuff! Definitely will test things.

    You made the video then? 'Cause I was wondering about the music :D

    PSN: KolbeSgf

    T7: Feng, Jin, maybe someone else
    GG Rev2: Ky
    SFV: Ryu
  • yatesyates RandomDragonPunches Joined: Posts: 66
    Kolbe wrote: »
    yates wrote: »
    The point is, the shit works against throws.

    I watched it last night! Good stuff! Definitely will test things.

    You made the video then? 'Cause I was wondering about the music :D

    The music is Pat Martino - Blue Bossa. Arguably the greatest jazz guitarist of all time.
    "I'm ALWAYS jacking off on GGPO." - dreamfire -
  • KolbeKolbe Joined: Posts: 133
    yates wrote: »
    The music is Pat Martino - Blue Bossa. Arguably the greatest jazz guitarist of all time.

    Thanks!

    PSN: KolbeSgf

    T7: Feng, Jin, maybe someone else
    GG Rev2: Ky
    SFV: Ryu
  • RawrpurRawrpur Joined: Posts: 5
    Oh man i feel like at a total loss with Ryu now. I cant seem to win any matches consistently anymore i feel like Ryu (or me) is getting out footised by characters Ryu should be able to keep out with normals. In short it feels ryu has no strong sides anymore i cant play defense but i cant go in either.
  • KolbeKolbe Joined: Posts: 133
    Rawrpur wrote: »
    Oh man i feel like at a total loss with Ryu now. I cant seem to win any matches consistently anymore i feel like Ryu (or me) is getting out footised by characters Ryu should be able to keep out with normals. In short it feels ryu has no strong sides anymore i cant play defense but i cant go in either.

    I hear you, man. I'm not a dedicated player, but I improve consistenly, if slowly, over time. However! I had gone from Super Gold to Ultra Silver and back TWICE since the patch! The good news? I stopped caring about LP altogether :P
    PSN: KolbeSgf

    T7: Feng, Jin, maybe someone else
    GG Rev2: Ky
    SFV: Ryu
  • Captain RyuCaptain Ryu Scoot Magee Joined: Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Based on what I've heard so far Ryu's V trigger will be way stronger in season 2. Apparently his normals are faster than they are now in Vtrigger but even if that's not true he has way more potential for guard crush fireballs due to invincible reversals needing meter.

    pretty sure meterless dps still gonna be fireball invincible, just like Guile flash kicks are currently.

    Looks like the block setups work against shoto meterless dp's which is nice.
    CFN ScootMagee
  • makmak!!!makmak!!! Going Bananas! Joined: Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Infiltration said it best what I was trying to point out. Those who complain about fireballs and SRK's are scrubs. This generation always needed to be spoon fed that's why they will never learn.

    It has to start somewhere
    It has to start sometime
    What better place than here
    What better time than now.....
  • JustinShadeJustinShade Joined: Posts: 6
    Hello fellow Ryu players!

    Like a lot of you guys I've found Ryu much more difficult to play in season 2 while a lot of characters became stronger against him. I don't want to tell you guys to go check out my Youtube channel, but I'll post here when I publish my video about some season 2 strengths with Ryu that I feel are practical. I personally feel he is among the worse characters in the game now primarily because of how strong others became. Daigo's been using the second hit of the Back Heavy Kick into a Special like Hadoken or Tatsu. It's decent chip damage and safe pressure from a distance. However, it is slow and has lengthy recovery for the chip damage you get from it when blocked.
  • KolbeKolbe Joined: Posts: 133
    What's your channel?
    PSN: KolbeSgf

    T7: Feng, Jin, maybe someone else
    GG Rev2: Ky
    SFV: Ryu
  • makmak!!!makmak!!! Going Bananas! Joined: Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited January 16
    Whoever disagreed howbout trying to play against mika, gief and laura. Get knocked down and see what happens.

    Ryu thread is gonna be silent for awhile.
    It has to start somewhere
    It has to start sometime
    What better place than here
    What better time than now.....
  • shinbojanshinbojan Joined: Posts: 437
    I would rather play against those three, than having to play against Rog and Rashid.
  • JustinAkatsukiJustinAkatsuki Joined: Posts: 209
    Get use to finding a secondary for the Guile MU. I don't see Ryu beating him in season 2 unless you psychic jump a sonic boom and land a jump in
  • shinbojanshinbojan Joined: Posts: 437
    It is a lot worse with Akuma.
    With Ryu, you can at-least parry and get VT really fast.
  • Arthuro_RayArthuro_Ray Joined: Posts: 224
    Hard-zoners like Guile are the hardest MU for Akuma for sure, he just don't have enough HP, and then there is Rashid.


    At least you can compete and win the fireball war with him, if you mix up with a few red fireball, shakunetsu xx v-trigger also helps to get in, you can follow and use the fireball as a shield like Nash.
  • jordyloksjordyloks Joined: Posts: 35
    edited January 18
    Get use to finding a secondary for the Guile MU. I don't see Ryu beating him in season 2 unless you psychic jump a sonic boom and land a jump in

    You have to get to a range where you counter the startup of booms and normals with sweep and st.mk/cr.mk, jumping isnt really the answer even though it overwhelmingly feels like the thing to do, if anything a psychic tatsu is better.

    If you want just general tips a lower level/online etc you will find that Guile players can't hold the zoning pattern for long as they back up to the corner - they will be the ones that actually want to jump in over your fireballs, my strategy when playing a Guile player like that ( which is mostly everyone) is to usually sit and block/parry with fireballs and wait for them to jump in, rinse repeat and walk forward til I can get to that uncomfortable will i won't I push something because some of Guiles poking normals like back fist only hit high and you can low profile it. Once you get him in the corner sit at the point of about a st.mk/cr,mk and just throw out staggered pokes. The idea is just to keep him there.

    Pretty spot on, yo.

    Daigo doing just that in the first round.


    Err, I timestamped it for 9:54 but the link is being a dick.
Sign In or Register to comment.