Ryu Season 2

Comments

• KolbeKolbe Joined: Posts: 133
    edited April 27
    Today on Ryus that don't suck:

Also, at 4:24, did he actually timed that overhead into jab into V-Trigger without setup buttons!?
    Post edited by Kolbe on
    PSN: KolbeSgf

T7: Feng, Jin, maybe someone else
    GG Rev2: Ky
    SFV: Ryu
  • Captain RyuCaptain Ryu Scoot Magee Joined: Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited April 27
    I'm hearing that it's actually a bot playing as Ryu.
    CFN ScootMagee

Oh.

• BeastEGBeastEG One day, I'll realize I'm bad at FG's Joined: Posts: 392

Maybe Capcom is doing research to figure out how beyond human you must be to play Ryu lol
    VF5FS: Sarah Bryant
    GG Xrd: Ky
    Overwatch (damn there is a lot to learn): Pharrah, 76, Tracer / Bastion, Dwarf / Ape, Rein, Orisa, Russia / Lucio, Mercy, Zen, Symm
  • HighlandfireballHighlandfireball Are you ready for a war? Joined: Posts: 8,123
    edited April 27
    Is that the guy called trigger? He's a bot. You can tell if you watch it.
  • Rockman85Rockman85 Joined: Posts: 393
    That is hilarious. I had a reply in here basically stating how I hate this game and capcom needs to fix it.
    But, showcasing a bot using a weak character and being effective at it is even funnier.

Anyways, i have been solving some of my Ryu problems by using more heavy attacks trying to phish for crush counters.

And for that bot. It plays sort of how I believe Ryu is meant to be played inthat you need a lot of patience. Cant be aggressive too much because Ryu just doesn't have the tools or frame data to do so.

Its like play honest or you will lose being dishonest
    PC AE ID: opticknads
  • HighlandfireballHighlandfireball Are you ready for a war? Joined: Posts: 8,123
    edited April 28
    I've got a vid coming up about how i think Ryu is played. It'll be out tonight/tomorrow on my channel if anyone's interested. Itll be long and it'll take more than one video so I'm going to do a few of them to elaborate.
    Got a link?
    edited April 28
    Rockman85 wrote: »
    Got a link?

If you're on a pc the link is in my signature. If you're on phone just look up - Total Sagat on YouTube.

Your comment before is on a similar track to my thoughts.

Edit: This should work

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC1jpv-Iqp6hIptIra1BlXuw
  • Rice_EaterRice_Eater Now more Evil Joined: Posts: 1,763
    edited April 28
    TriggerSFV is definitely a bot. It's almost impossible to throw him or jump in on him. This thing always buffers in a special from a normal that lands with 100% success rate and can react to stuff at a inhuman level. Mix ups don't work either. Left right, high low, doesn't matter, it always knows. Still I find it very entertaining to watch against top players. I just find it interesting to see how the best minds in this game try to solve this puzzle.

After watching a few the matches, it looks like this thing isn't as good as it was in the beginning. I actually think that's intentional to make it appear more human. And lol at Hiro for realizing that it doesn't know how to deal with headstomp so Hiro just started spamming it knowing he can't do anything else besides land lucky scissor kicks when the thing is whiffing normals(that are being buffered into specials) from mid screen.
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Ibuki and Juri BUFFZ Joined: Posts: 53,503 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited April 28
    You know you're watching a bot when the Ryu player is capable of controlling Smug to the point where he's hesitant to make moves or jump. He tried V Trigger dash into overhead and already had the METERLESS DP out before the overhead even started coming down LOL. Truly the ideal Ryu

Kunoichi is always in V Trigger

BUFF CITY.  Population IBUKI

SFV: Ibuki (Main Bae), Juri (Buffed Bae), Chun Li (Needs Buffs Bae)

KOF XIV: Nakoruru/Iori/KDash

SFIV: Nobody hate that shit (PROTIP: Everyone on SRK hates SFIV)

3S: Ibuki (main), Alex

If I ever pick up Xrd: Johnny

PSN: PervyJin01

CFN: PervyJin01 (PS4) Twitch: c88deviljin01

• NG1313NG1313 Joined: Posts: 1,547
    Yeah there's actually a lot to learn from that.
    "Forbidden"? Not today! Shoryuken!!!
  • TouchdownTouchdown Joined: Posts: 493
    edited April 28
    You guys so envious of TriggerSFV....He is a human being with feelings.

Apologize.
    "I see many intermediate to intermediate-advanced players stuck in the realm of theory fighting. They are stuck in their minds, hung up on making “the right decision” at every point in the game..These players don’t play with enough intuition, with enough “feeling,” with enough creativity, unpredictability, and daring..."
    Good vid man. I have come to similar conclusions in that you need to have perfect defense in this game or you lose. THe main problem is the reward youget for Ryu is small. You have to be perfect just to do ass damage in return. Ex dp is greaat but its better to do it on your heels as a defensive option. wantto be plus on any move better use an ex because nothing is given to Ryu. If you are going to want RYu to play this way then cacpcom needs to make it fair.
    Make ex dp do 170 dmg, or make lk tatsu hit crouchers, reverse recovery frames on s.hk or make it hit crouchers, make fb do 70 dmg on hit. Lastly, give us a Donkey kick.

One last thing about your video. I feel this style fits Ryu having a parry. If you can sit back, defend yourself and make that solid read then parry is good. I use like that at times. The other times I use parry is those who abuse meaties on wake up in whichi I parry and combo afterwards.
    I definitely agree with AA needing more damage, there's just no deterrent to stop people jumping.
    I would be okay with parry if it actually lead to an advantage against jump-ins. As of now, it's completely useless against them.
    Overwatch (damn there is a lot to learn): Pharrah, 76, Tracer / Bastion, Dwarf / Ape, Rein, Orisa, Russia / Lucio, Mercy, Zen, Symm
    edited April 30
    BeastEG wrote: »
    I would be okay with parry if it actually lead to an advantage against jump-ins. As of now, it's completely useless against them.

They would have to add more recovery to jumps or make parry recovery near instant or completely instant. And that's not going to happen. If it were up to me I'd suggest two things. Nothing crazy to make him seem broken, I think these would be reasonable buffs. First is for his MK tatsu to hit crouchers like it did during the beta. It would help him improve his mid range since you can rely on buffering that special and it'll always work on hit whether your opponent is crouching or not and leave you in a pretty good position afterward. Plus it's a reliable combo ender without having to rely on meter for a knockdown.

That itself is already a pretty big buff so the only other thing I'd ask for is what I already mentioned in the previous page. Buff his V Trigger to make a full charge denjin do more stun and the follow up combo to scale less when the full charge denjin is blocked. I know everybody has their own suggestions about buffing Ryu, those are just my ideas. Their are other things I'd like to see to like making his st. HP special cancelable all the time, but if he received those other two then I'd be happy with him.

EDIT: And this can't be too much to ask but come on. If we land a crush counter st. HP in the corner and finish with the target combo, make the opponent airborne longer so Ryu can juggle into SRK without having to V Trigger cancel. Let that be the one cool ability of his CC st. HP that actually makes us want to use it. Otherwise why should we ever use it when it's not that rewarding compared to some of his other buttons.
    Post edited by Rice_Eater on
    At this point, I would take any combination of all the proposed buffs that have been mentioned for Ryu lol
    I am not liking this game methinks.
    Not sure how else to put it.
    There are like 4 or 5 bottom chatacters that are fun to play against.
    I am not sure what capcom meant when they "intended to make ryu dangerous up close".
    This makes no damn sense.
    I ask, what character in this game is not dangerous up close?
    And you do this by reducing his damage, cutting his limbs off, and making him useless after a forward throw?
    So, are we Ryu players calling it a day on SFV? Is there any hope with his upcoming "buffs" in a game where characters like Ed exist?

Kolbe wrote: »
    So, are we Ryu players calling it a day on SFV? Is there any hope with his upcoming "buffs" in a game where characters like Ed exist?

There's always a chance of stealth buffs. I don't think the changes are going to change a hell of a lot, if you don't like him now, the buffs are not going to change that.

He really needed a new move/better V trigger etc.

No Ryus now in any majors for a while.
    I usually am a lurker as evidence by how old my account is compared to others.
    With that said this version of Ryu is probably one of the worst I have played with ever.
    Grant it, I am not a SF pro but I have played different versions of him since I was 7 years old.
    This Ryu make SF4AE Ryu more fun to play, and maybe, even agianst Yun or Yang.

I have not played in a coupld of weeks. When the beta drops I may try again.
    I put over a year into the character and pretty much dropped him a few weeks ago due t how bad he is in season 2. I've been playing guile for the past week and even while I still have a lot more to learn with the character I'm getting better results than s2 Ryu. People just respect my options a lot more, I don't get that feeling with Ryu.
    CFN ScootMagee
    edited May 9
    I think this Ryu is just designed for a different game quite frankly. I forget who but someone made a good point that even S1 Ryu wouldn't really cut it.

I'm sure there are some people who can make him work as there always are, but ain't no point if it isn't fun. I switched over to Guilty Gear and Overwatch and have been having far more fun.

I tried a couple of other characters and found that if you want to play a zoning control style, I'd say Guile or Akuma are your best bets. Ultimately, I think SFV is only really fun if you're winning (just like any other game) and handicapping yourself with character loyalty is just going to diminish any possible value you can get from the game.

Watching some high level play, the strength of 50/50 is so strong that it's not uncommon for just one person to get put in the corner and the match just ends. Maybe I'm just old but watching 50/50's in the corner forever is pretty boring IMO.
    edited May 9
    Yup, I agree. I dropped SFV entirely and I'm waiting for REV 2 and Tekken. To be honest, though, the mess this game has become (not only for Ryu players, but in general) could be the best thing that happened to me, since I have some projects I really need to focus on. With SFV out of the picture, I can work on them withtout feeling I'm missing out : P

edited May 9
    snip

Sometimes people commit a lot of time to a game and don't want to let it go. In my case I liked s1 better but I'm just bias because Ryu had more bullshit in that version. I'm enjoying Guile though so it's a lot more fun now that people respect my options. Maybe when Ryu gets some of his range back he'll have some more options to close the gap and use his new buffs. In his current state he does ok vs some characters but the upper tier really limit his options to the point of frustration.
    CFN ScootMagee
    edited May 9
    snip

Thanks for the response. I never really liked it when people are toxic about a game but then still play it. It's one thing to say, "I don't like this part of the game and wish they fixed it, but overall I'm okay with it" versus, "THIS GAMEZ SUX! RAWRAR!" and then continue to play it...makes no sense to me. That said, after taking a little time away, I'm starting to enjoy SFV a bit more. There are definitely blatant problems (every game has them) but it's not a bad game, just a game that I don't think is very inviting to as large a crowd as other games. As they say, "Different strokes, different folks." Plus, why ruin something for other people...there is plenty of negativity already. I find it refreshing when other people like something. Some positive vibes would probably do the FGC a lot of good.

As to the corner stuff, I think when you're cornered, it should definitely be risky. My opinion is that the corner is too deadly however because I feel that too many games are determined by it. While it's true the answer of "don't put yourself in the corner" is something that should definitely be considered, many times, a really random poke will put your there because of CC. Also, corner carry isn't really that hard in this game, so all it takes is one opening. I'm a crap tier silver at best and have beaten golds and platinums simply by getting them in the corner. I guess that could means my 2D fundamentals suck but my 3D fundamentals can absolute decimate the average person with oki, or that the corner provides such an advantage that once there, the game does get reduced down to a simple guessing game. Might be something I'm not seeing, but that's just how I'm interpreting it.

Watching Punk versus Hitani GFs was basically a clinic in how the corner is death.

I think there are some good things in SFV, but a lot of it just feels very unrefined / not logically coherent to me. I think when matches can be determined on such a razor's edge, it really does come down to how well you can control your opponent and what are your rewards for doing it well like you mentioned. That and straight damage potentially because if I only have to guess correctly twice, and you have to guess correctly three times, two guess character will have a monster advantage. Honestly, I think the development team did a really good job with the system, but I think the design and play test teams dropped the ball substantially. They'll have time to improve upon it, but if I were Capcom...I'd seriously reconsider their designers and balance testers.
    Post edited by BeastEG on
  • CestusCestus Sorry for my english :D Joined: Posts: 5,474
    for whatever reason in beta i can't SPS>bHK>LK>HSRK

SRK whiff

???
    I designed SFV Ken, your argument is invalid.
    "@Cestus tightened her ass up" - YagamiFire
    Stealth nerf is my guess.
  • JustinAkatsukiJustinAkatsuki Joined: Posts: 209
    Stealth nerf is my guess.

Why nerf though? Maybe it was an accident or maybe it's capcom being dumb as usual. Tried the beta and i still think Ryu needs some form of a tool that can make him be aggressive effectively such as a buff to his v trigger mode or frame advantage on his forward throw
    I am being really negative that is why.
    Anyone notice any stealth buffs?
    I am being really negative that is why.
    Anyone notice any stealth buffs?

We'd be going insane if one existed. You can assume that no news, no change ;)
    Cestus wrote: »

SRK whiff

???

I'd would honestly be shocked if they took the time and effort to remove the tiny bit of extra stun and damage gained from this new combo possibility because they felt he shouldn't have it. It made absolutely no difference for Ryu players.

I did play the beta a little and I actually thought DP was hitting from further away. Which is contradictory to what you just said. But I haven't played the game in a while so I guess it's just in my head. As for his buffs, I'm glad to have them back but it's not really something you're going to notice until you use them in situations where they didn't work before. The only thing I noticed was that wacky new cr. fierce. I actually forgot about it so I was surprised to see it. So yeah, that's about it. I'm crossing my finger for better stuff in Season 3 already lol.
    So that Cr.HP new animation... usless cosmetic change? It seems to me its reach is just as bad as the original.

I'm going to give it a shot tonight, see if I can find anything, doubt it though.
    Rice_Eater wrote: »
    Cestus wrote: »

SRK whiff

???

I did play the beta a little and I actually thought DP was hitting from further away. Which is contradictory to what you just said. But I haven't played the game in a while so I guess it's just in my head.

SPS >bHK > LK > too much space, HP SRK whiff

i may be wrong as i'm a scrub, but impression is LK push too far for H SRK to connect

Consider that more forward hitbox for LK was one of the confirmed beta buffs so this may be why it create more distance ruining the combo

I can switch to Tatsu i guess, but i preferred much more HP SRK
    The SPS back HK combo barely does more than just SPS cr.hp xx DP anyway which has better oki if you finish with mp or Lp dp.

Doesn't seem like that would really be a big deal.
  • followtherockstarfollowtherockstar Joined: Posts: 25
    The bison vs ryu matchup is such complete and total bullshit. Fuck that matchup.
    The SPS back HK combo barely does more than just SPS cr.hp xx DP anyway which has better oki if you finish with mp or Lp dp.

Doesn't seem like that would really be a big deal.

Not saying what you said is'nt true, but not a fan of Ryu losing combo options tbh, specially when i wich he get more

Example i will really like see them give him stHP special cancellable, like already is on VT
    I did it tonight in the corner on Ed - didn't connect, so yeah it looks like that combo is toast unless it's Eds hurt box.

Other things I noticed that might just be in my head -

Target combo feels strange, like they shortened the window to press HK.

Cr.fierce whiffed a couple of times after st.mp, again this is possibly eds hurt box ( I only played against Ed in a large set)

St.lk feels decent again.

Really didn't notice much else.
  • NooksNooks Not User-Friendly Joined: Posts: 356
    st.LK is okay. Never really got into the habit of using it much during Season 1, so I don't have much of an opinion on the nerf or incoming buff.

That cr.HP animation is going to be rough getting use to. One of the things I dig about Ryu is how much 'oomph' it looks like he puts behind each strike, with cr.HP looking like he really dug deep into his opponent. Now it just looks flacid or something, like his Round Victory fist pump.
    I did it tonight in the corner on Ed - didn't connect, so yeah it looks like that combo is toast unless it's Eds hurt box.

Other things I noticed that might just be in my head -

Target combo feels strange, like they shortened the window to press HK.

Cr.fierce whiffed a couple of times after st.mp, again this is possibly eds hurt box ( I only played against Ed in a large set)

St.lk feels decent again.

Really didn't notice much else.

I doubt it's Ed's hurtbox, i noticed it on a Ryu vs Ryu too
    Nooks wrote: »
    st.LK is okay. Never really got into the habit of using it much during Season 1, so I don't have much of an opinion on the nerf or incoming buff.

That cr.HP animation is going to be rough getting use to. One of the things I dig about Ryu is how much 'oomph' it looks like he puts behind each strike, with cr.HP looking like he really dug deep into his opponent. Now it just looks flacid or something, like his Round Victory fist pump.

I agree at previous crHP looking much more violent/heavy strike

Said that, i think they did to make clear the visual distinction of crHP with SPS or SRKs

Previously the animation of crHP kinda visually overlayed after SPS and even more before a SRK, now it change arm
    edited May 15
    Target combo window is definitely shorter. Used to be able to confirm CC s.HP into TC. Can't do it anymore.
    Post edited by BeastEG on
  • NG1313NG1313 Joined: Posts: 1,547
    Target combo window is definitely shorter. Used to be able to confirm CC s.HP into TC. Can't do it anymore.

I didn't notice any change there. I'd be strongly opposed and almost shell-shocked if this were true.
    "Forbidden"? Not today! Shoryuken!!!

This is what I noticed too, although I couldn't tell if it was laggy. We will be able to tell when V2.1 comes out - next year....
    edited May 15
    NG1313 wrote: »

I didn't notice any change there. I'd be strongly opposed and almost shell-shocked if this were true.

May be the lag is worse on my end, but I've noticed it to be much more difficulty to do any s.HP confirms into TC. Granted, I don't have the best reactions for confirms, but my consistency plummeted from S1. I figured the window reduced as the cause, but with input lag + general connection lag, it's possible it's near impossible to do it on pure reaction.

Went into training mode and tried it to just to be sure, and it at least "feels" much tighter (not scientifically tested since I don't have access to S1). That said, I haven't played that much in a while, so it may just be rust as well.
    edited May 15
    I just don't understand why capcom is against giving Ryu range and a good fireball. Instead they give him buffs that mainly benefit his V trigger that runs out way too quickly considering it's not even very strong. V reversals also completely destroy any attempt to really use the B.RH and S.HP cancel up close during V trigger. If you do manage to guard crush it does shit damage. It just doesn't compare to what other characters have.
    CFN ScootMagee
    I just don't understand why capcom is against giving Ryu range and a good fireball. Instead they give him buffs that mainly benefit his V trigger that runs out way too quickly considering it's not even very strong. V reversals also completely destroy any attempt to really use the B.RH and S.HP cancel up close during V trigger. If you do manage to guard crush it does shit damage. It just doesn't compare to what other characters have.

Yeah, I don't understand their approach to this Ryu: he is the second character with more costumes in the game. He is in every freaking piece of promotional art. And yet Capcom made him complete, utter trash and keeps pushing him underground.

I'm keeping with all the updates of this, my all-time favorite fighting game franchise, to see if there's anything that can pull me back, but for the most part I feel venomous against it and I can't seem to help it. I tried the CFN beta once, played with Ed a little bit, tried the horrendous new cr.HP with Ryu and called it a day. I might have to wait for season 3. It's only half-year away, I guess.