Ryu Season 2

12345679»

Comments

• Rockman85Rockman85 Joined: Posts: 393
    I feel the same way. I will checkout season 3 when it rolls through. It sucks to constanly play on your heels.
    PC AE ID: opticknads
  • shinbojanshinbojan Joined: Posts: 437
    I guess that he is already too popular. Imagine if he was good as well.
  • M8in8M8in8 Joined: Posts: 1
    edited May 17
    Hello i read your post about Ryu since many time now and i decided to come say u hello ;)
    I m a Ryu s user and ofc i m also disapointed with all the nerf he got from s1.
    But i kept playing him and ofc it s like your are fighting constantly on your heels...
    With keeping fighting with him i adapted a lot and the mu who first seemed to be very hard , seems now more easy , for ex vs guile.
    But i get very very big issu vs Rog , it s just impossible to do something , vs a decent player.
    So do u have maybe some advise to help me ?
    Thx you for your next answer.
  • JustinAkatsukiJustinAkatsuki Joined: Posts: 209
    Hey if anyone wants to play my Ryu well my CFN is the same as my name on here JustinAkatsuki. Once June arrives will no longer be playing sf V until season 3 hits um the patch didn't really do anything to make me enjoy season 2 more. Ryu needed a bit more in my opinion even with his st LK coming back and just not looking forward to all of this for the rest of the year so yeah. I tried and became a decent player at this game atleast
  • Captain RyuCaptain Ryu Scoot Magee Joined: Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    So did anyone get in the lab yet? Any useful things Ryu can do with his old st mp and st lk range back combined wit his season 2 buffs? I haven't had a chance to play yet.
    CFN ScootMagee
  • KolbeKolbe Joined: Posts: 133
    I played like 20 min before work and didn't look for anything useful really, however, medium DP and hard DP still do the same damage and stun. I'm a Super Gold scrub so I can't figure out a valid reason for this design choice. Any guesses?

Considering the patch is less than 24 hours old, it's more than useless to complain, but I would definitely "forgive" SFV if they kept Ryu as it is now but with some crazy hard DP property. Like crazy stun or crazy damage at the cost of some equally crazy punishable state as a trade-off or something.
    PSN: KolbeSgf

T7: Feng, Jin, maybe someone else
    GG Rev2: Ky
    SFV: Ryu
  • HighlandfireballHighlandfireball Are you ready for a war? Joined: Posts: 8,123
    Im comparing hit boxes tonight, doesn't feel like there's anything playing but you never know. I thought his walk speed felt slightly faster but I think I'm imagining it.
    I did some experiments with his V-Trigger and it's exactly the same. Should last a bit longer, in my opinion. Drains too fast.

• BeastEGBeastEG One day, I'll realize I'm bad at FG's Joined: Posts: 392
    Spent a little time in the lab before work (like 30 mins), couldn't find anything that felt like a ghost nerf/buff. s.LK range buff allows for some more punishes if you're willing to risk s.LKxxHP DP to get any meaningful damage.

I think the invincibility properties of MP and HP DP's are different IIRC but their damage and stun are the same. I think MP DP is invincible to air attacks (probably the game triggers off high attacks) and HP has low attack invincibility? For some reason I remember LP DP being throw invincible or something.
    VF5FS: Sarah Bryant
    GG Xrd: Ky
    Overwatch (damn there is a lot to learn): Pharrah, 76, Tracer / Bastion, Dwarf / Ape, Rein, Orisa, Russia / Lucio, Mercy, Zen, Symm
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Ibuki and Juri BUFFZ Joined: Posts: 53,503 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    BeastEG wrote: »
    Spent a little time in the lab before work (like 30 mins), couldn't find anything that felt like a ghost nerf/buff. s.LK range buff allows for some more punishes if you're willing to risk s.LKxxHP DP to get any meaningful damage.

I think the invincibility properties of MP and HP DP's are different IIRC but their damage and stun are the same. I think MP DP is invincible to air attacks (probably the game triggers off high attacks) and HP has low attack invincibility? For some reason I remember LP DP being throw invincible or something.

L Shoryuken attacks – maintain throw invincibility
    M Shoryuken attacks – added airborne invincibility
    H Shoryuken attacks – added attack and projectile invincibility

LP DP has always been throw invincible. Like Juri, HP DP is good for far ranged jumps from a distance like Alex's j.HK

Kunoichi is always in V Trigger

BUFF CITY.  Population IBUKI

SFV: Ibuki (Main Bae), Juri (Buffed Bae), Chun Li (Needs Buffs Bae)

KOF XIV: Nakoruru/Iori/KDash

SFIV: Nobody hate that shit (PROTIP: Everyone on SRK hates SFIV)

3S: Ibuki (main), Alex

If I ever pick up Xrd: Johnny

PSN: PervyJin01

CFN: PervyJin01 (PS4) Twitch: c88deviljin01

• Rice_EaterRice_Eater Now more Evil Joined: Posts: 1,763
    Whoever was the guy who said that Ryu couldn't do F+HP, B+HK, st. LK, DP anymore was right. They actually removed that combo LOL. It did a smidge more damage and more stun but I guess that was a bit too much. Honestly I'm not even upset that it's gone. I'm just surprised that Capcom thought something this minor was worth removing.

Outside of that, it's nice to have st. LK back but I doubt that will help too much. It's just nice to punish certain stuff and be able to hit links at certain ranges again.
    I hate to say it but it's a loss cause for Ryu this season. Yeah st Lk is back but that's it the rest of the stuff isn't enough to help him he still lacks the tools to be better offensively and if capcom wasn't a bunch of morons and actually knew shit about this game they would buff his v trigger state and give him frame advantage off of his forward throw or even make mk tatsu combo on non standing opponents just like ken and akuma tatsu's can.
  • Her0 of Tim3Her0 of Tim3 Kono shobu moratta! Joined: Posts: 986
    So apparently the reasoning behind the combos not working is because of the change to H DP. The notes say they adjusted it because of it being a more reliable AA now.

A friend laid this gem on me. That sounds logical and retarded at the same time. So I lose combo-ability because my DP now does what it has done in literally every SF game ever? Good job Capcom. Overall, I think Ryu is a bit better and even Daigo is running matches with him now. So that's always a plus.
    CFN: Mikaul SFV: Ryu/Juri KI: Sadira/Jago
  • jordyloksjordyloks Joined: Posts: 35
    I like how his buffs were just revisions of some of his nerfs. And by like, I mean "bleh".
    But the change to his strong dp is a godsend. I think it's mostly psychological for me, but no longer being afraid that my AA is going to get stuffed by a jump in helps me dp more on reaction.
    Having st.short xx ex.tatsu is a nice tool to have in footsies again, too.

I played a little bit in season one and was sitting at around 2400-2700 lp. S2 dropped and I fell down to 1800-2200. I can't say I put in the honest effort to improve (lag and slow matchmaking really ruin the fun for me, and I live in Canada where good connections seem to be somewhat few and far in between).
    But with some adjustments to my gameplan over the last few months (more patience, less fireballs, trying my best to AA, and paying attention to opponent habits), yesterday and today I shot up from 2100 to 3100lp with roughly a 75% win rate.
    This is my first time out of silver and I'm pretty stoked. I think I'll plateau again once people learn how to use Ed, etc... But I'm actually excited to play for the first time in a long while!
    Hopefully the new CFN will encourage me to play on a regular basis (I'm at just over 1600 combined online matches since the game dropped). I think I have what it takes to become a shitty gold player!

Hope y'all are doing well.
    edited June 2
    I was around 7500 during s1, switched to Akuma in s2 and I am at 13k now.
    Akuma is so much better than Ryu.
    I do think Akuma loses to Ryu, though.
  • HighlandfireballHighlandfireball Are you ready for a war? Joined: Posts: 8,123
    I don't play Ranked much, but made it to 12000 with Ryu S2. Problem is I can't get many games now.

Funnily enough I've unlocked Akuma with the free FM. I'm thinking of doing an alt account and starting from zero again.
  • JerryVuongJerryVuong Joined: Posts: 2
    Strange, the only thing i like about this patch is that i can (again) connect st.lk whenever my st.hk hits, no matter how far. The feeling of losing that irked me the most when season 2 came out.

More cr.mp >> st.lk and st.lk buffer into ex.tatsu are great too. Haven't felt much the impact of a buffed st.mp. What new should i look out for? It forms string with close-range cr.lk cr.lp now, doesn't it?

Our fucking throws into zero setup still stinks af though.
    edited June 2
    I get plenty of games in Europe against 10-30k players. It's even better since I can blacklist people from Algeria/Turkey.
    Funny thing is that the competition is tougher on ps4 than on a pc. I guess that a bunch of people play ps4-only.
  • igogorekigogorek Joined: Posts: 101
    shinbojan wrote: »
    Funny thing is that the competition is tougher on ps4 than on a pc. I guess that a bunch of people play ps4-only.
    I think it's natural that more serious players play on ps4 since it's official tournament platform.

Sorry, I did not explain it well.
    When I am playing on ps4 I am fighting better players although they have less points that the pc crew.
    I always have both pc/ps4 enabled.
  • CestusCestus Sorry for my english :D Joined: Posts: 5,474
    Rice_Eater wrote: »
    Whoever was the guy who said that Ryu couldn't do F+HP, B+HK, st. LK, DP anymore was right. They actually removed that combo LOL. It did a smidge more damage and more stun but I guess that was a bit too much. Honestly I'm not even upset that it's gone. I'm just surprised that Capcom thought something this minor was worth removing.

I was that one, i used to like that combo and as soon beta was out i've tried it

I'm not even pissed anymore, i'm kinda happy with Ryu straight sucking as new 2.5 stuff so (hopefully) they will be more willing to drop some new fun tricks with the next big patch
    I designed SFV Ken, your argument is invalid.
    "@Cestus tightened her ass up" - YagamiFire
  • NG1313NG1313 Joined: Posts: 1,547
    Yeah, same here.. I wish they kept the original for v-trigger :tdown:
    "Forbidden"? Not today! Shoryuken!!!
  • Rockman85Rockman85 Joined: Posts: 393
    Not sure what happened but it looked like I gained an extra 1000 lp since I last played. Oh well. Anyways, I won a fw matches and ended up making it to platinum. s.lk is probably the bst change. I transforms him to a weak version of Ryu instead of being a worthy Dan.
    PC AE ID: opticknads
    Kolbe wrote: »
    I'm almost okay with the changes, except for two things: that H.DP/M.DP nonsense and Vqt8GEG.jpg

Give me old cr.HP and make new one b+HP with launch property pls
  • de BLOOde BLOO It's pronounced dee BLOO. Joined: Posts: 4,470
    I'm happy they changed it because his 3s crouch fierce is visually similar but has more range to it(it can protect the top of your head), and coming from that to this neutered version really fucked me up.

With the new animation it's easier to visually gauge it's uses now, for me anyway.
    GT: Hector Garfria PSN ID: Hector_Garfria
    The new cr fierce no longer hits low normals as easily (or at all in Sim's case) and makes me sad. I used to use down fierce a lot to try and whiff punish the barrage of low forwards in this game, but now it doesn't work that well. I don't need another AA if you're gonna make DP work as a real AA now. I don't get why they would nerf the lower portion of it's hit box at all in the first place. Who was complaining about it or even using it that much?
    Well if you guys want a better Ryu it's gonna have to wait until season 3
  • RandomRandom Joined: Posts: 264
    As if we will ever get one. I won't get my hopes up again. I will just see what new characters come into play instead of hoping Crapcom does right by the main character of their iconic franchise...
  • TrueSephirothTrueSephiroth Joined: Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited June 9
    Vanilla S2 Ryu is equivalent to someone serving me a skunk to eat, while current S2.1 Ryu is another skunk, but with salt on it. Didn't make much of a difference.

Many of us whom are Purist Ryu players, which will unfortunately sink with the ship, but at least S3 may bring better fortunes for us. Current Ryu is better, but not by much, still, I hope this is enough that Daigo may possibly go back to Ryu.

Post edited by TrueSephiroth on
    "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing." - Vince Lombardi

Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting - Ryu
    I doubt it. To be honest, S1 Ryu would still be lower tier in the current state of the game. Maybe good enough for Daigo to pick him up, but S2.5 Ryu is not going to win him any tournaments.

I also am a Purist Ryu player, as you said, and it's not the nerf that pissed me off as much as the re-learning of the character. To put in in another way, if S2 Ryu were the Ryu we were to get from day 1 in this game, I would just suck it up and play him anyways. The real problem for me is that everything I learned and created in S1 were ditched in a way I'm not too compelled to learn S2.5 Ryu or S3 Ryu for that matter. What's the point if it will all go to hell in the next patch?

edited June 9
    Tbh what piss me off is that other characters get absolute random buffs/nerfs/balancement with no fucks given, while when it comes to Ryu they ever seem like they feel under the spotlight and they must "justify" everything

Like for every minimal thing gained he need some lil nerf in return, and anyway the buff must be on the modest side... fuck that

S3 Ryu in a fair world deserve only buffs and new fun stuff to spice him up, but it's like they fear some retard internet group will accuse them of favor Ryu because posterboy and shit

The whole "Ryu as the balancement standard" sound everyday more "pls focus on all the +1 -1 we give to Ryu, while we do the fuck we want with everybody else"
    edited June 9
    My theory why the made the shoto's sub standard is because they are going to be the most popular characters regardless of how good they are. I think this time the game is very E-sports, DLC $$$ orientated. Why do you think Ryu has the most alt costumes whilst some characters only have one or two? Because that's where the money is.

So why does that matter? Well, if you make Ryu and Ken Top tier, it means even more people are playing them making the game imbalanced character wise and there's nobody buying all the other characters and costumes. It's all about the cash and the E-sports league having lots of characters for viewers and fake hype so that dummies can watch the game and understand whats going on.
    The leak mentioned changes to existing mechanics and new supers. I hope they give Ryu donkey kick or at least something to reliably hit crouching opponents. The nerf to fierce DP's horizontal range means even jab jab xx DP isn't a good go to option as of late. He needs something else to work with. I also wonder what his new super would be.
    Probably a Metsu Shoryken or something like that, that deals a lot of damage, but it's next to impossible for it to be practical.

• OmniCloudOmniCloud Peacemaker Protégé Joined: Posts: 839
    My theory why the made the shoto's sub standard is because they are going to be the most popular characters regardless of how good they are. I think this time the game is very E-sports, DLC $$$ orientated. Why do you think Ryu has the most alt costumes whilst some characters only have one or two? Because that's where the money is.

So why does that matter? Well, if you make Ryu and Ken Top tier, it means even more people are playing them making the game imbalanced character wise and there's nobody buying all the other characters and costumes. It's all about the cash and the E-sports league having lots of characters for viewers and fake hype so that dummies can watch the game and understand whats going on.
    This is really logical. I was convinced with S1 that shotos were perfect, they were just going to nerf how hard it was to blocks Ken's regular Tatsu and Ryu was gonna get a slight damage nerf and his st.lp AA removed. I never thought they would be touched like this. S1 Ryu and Ken IMO would still not be the best characters in the game right now. Screw Capcom for the shoto neutering man.
    "Every man must be swift about hearing, slow about speaking, slow about wrath"
    The H DP change was supposed to help us deal with the projectiles of our opponents. Has anyone been able to successfully use this or am I completely messing it up? I mess around with Ken in training mode and he's able to DP nearly every projectile with ease. Laura can't run her normal fireball strings on him, Guile can't lock him down anymore with booms, Akuma can't just jump fireball his way in, so on and so forth. However, Ryu still can't get through any of this or if I do get the hit, I trade a lot. Anyone else having the same issue?
  • RandomRandom Joined: Posts: 264
    So is there a reason Ryu's normals and SRKs get stuffed by a cool breeze, and tgat he isn't safe on fucking anything? Feels helpless against the likes of Cammy unless she drills in like a retard.
  • BeastEGBeastEG One day, I'll realize I'm bad at FG's Joined: Posts: 392
    Cammy MU is tough, but the key to remember is that she is really linear and doesn't have many unique was of opening you up. It's not a fun fight though as you'll constantly be on your heels.
    VF5FS: Sarah Bryant
    GG Xrd: Ky
    Overwatch (damn there is a lot to learn): Pharrah, 76, Tracer / Bastion, Dwarf / Ape, Rein, Orisa, Russia / Lucio, Mercy, Zen, Symm