Attack Button Layout

CSword123CSword123 oh god OHGOD! why did I think this was a good idea? please... just- I'M SORRY!!Joined: Posts: 1,168
According to Max's latest video, the current attack button layout seems to be

LP HP
LK HK

I'm kind of saddened by this because I thought UMvC3's layout worked well. The problem with MvC2's layout is that without a raw M button, the neutral game is reliant on just 2 types of pokes (fast and slow). There is no in between.

Would you want MvC2 layout, MvC3's layout, TvC's layout or MvC1's layout?
KI: Jago
GG: Chipp/Ky
UMVC3: Team "Rider May Die" - Ghost Rider/Vergil/Dante
Best KI community on the webs: www.killerinstinctonline.net

Comments

• NickRocksNickRocks or whatever Joined: Posts: 22,174
    actually after watching that gameplay video again slowed it does look like its punch and kick based and not LMH. this is exciting!
    King of the Post-09ers
    Last of the Prembers, R.I.P. my nibbas
    Maximilian is a racist thief
    https://clips.twitch.tv/maximilian_dood/DifferentBeeHeyGuys
  • Doctrine DarkDoctrine Dark Target confirmed! Joined: Posts: 5,319
    edited December 2016
    Pretty much what Nick said. MVC1 is idle, but MVC2 would be the next best option.

The TVC/MVC3 layout worked for those games. I don't dislike them. I'd just rather them go back to revisit the previous layouts.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid.
    PSN: SP_Wesker215/XBL: SP Wesker215
    Super Street Fighter Plot Guide II
    Street Fighter V: Cammy Marvel: Jill/Dante/Magneto
    Guilty Gear Revelator: Venom King of Fighters XIV: Hein/Mature/Kyo
  • CSword123CSword123 oh god OHGOD! why did I think this was a good idea? please... just- I'M SORRY!! Joined: Posts: 1,168
    I don't know... I still think there should be a balance between a stubby fast limb and a long reaching sluggish one when poking in neutral. I would take either UMvC3's or MvC1's.
    KI: Jago
    GG: Chipp/Ky
    UMVC3: Team "Rider May Die" - Ghost Rider/Vergil/Dante
    Best KI community on the webs: www.killerinstinctonline.net
    i prefer the option of different kicks/punches over just one "light" attack that can be picked at random
    King of the Post-09ers
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 34,620 mod
    MvC2 control scheme is fine. It'll also likely work even better when you get characters designed around it better.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

Everyone (should) be mindful that if there isn't a new generation after my generation, the FGC (fighting game community) will basically become extinct, so it's important to think about the future.
    -Daigo Umehara

• CybernatorCybernator Joined: Posts: 42
    I think LP/HP/LK/HK arguably offers pretty good variety for potential pokes. Just because it's a 'light' kick doesn't mean that the standing LK can't be like a K' style poke. Gives some particular buttons, especially kicks, a real purpose where in MvC2 a lot of characters had four buttons and about three actual normals.
    Cybernator wrote: »
    Just because it's a 'light' kick doesn't mean that the standing LK can't be like a K' style poke.
    What do you mean by K' style?

Is this a reference to how K' in XIV used to play like a Marvel 3 character where almost any poke could be confirmed into big damage?
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

Everyone (should) be mindful that if there isn't a new generation after my generation, the FGC (fighting game community) will basically become extinct, so it's important to think about the future.
    -Daigo Umehara

• killthevibekillthevibe i'm a marvel player now Joined: Posts: 520
    edited December 2016
    I think the MvC3 layout is fine but It'd be nice if they changed it up for this game. I loved MvC2's layout
  • ShogunFlowShogunFlow Stream Warrior Joined: Posts: 801
    anything but LMH
    Jay Illestrate - Regular Cat Records - Psychedelic Hip Hop Music
    www.youtube.com/3rdAnswer - - www.REGULARCATRECORDS.com

[SFV] Laura/Cammy/Akuma
    [MvC2] MSP
    [UMvC3] Felicia/Storm/Akuma, Zero/Morrigan/Magneto
  • AriesnoAriesno Seimitsu's warrior Joined: Posts: 402
    MVC2 layout with Powerstone and tag buttons instead of assists seem good for this game.
  • MaravillaMaravilla Joined: Posts: 113
    I never found out how mvc3 layout was, I only played xmen vs SF and that was the regular 6 button jab,strong,fierce on top and short,forward,roundhouse below. How was umvc3? How many punches and kicks?
    Maravilla wrote: »
    I never found out how mvc3 layout was, I only played xmen vs SF and that was the regular 6 button jab,strong,fierce on top and short,forward,roundhouse below. How was umvc3? How many punches and kicks?
    Marvel 3 dumped separate punches and kicks and simply used an anime inspired Light > Medium > Heavy > Launcher (S), plus 2 assist buttons.
    -Mike_Z

-Daigo Umehara

• CybernatorCybernator Joined: Posts: 42
    d3v wrote: »
    Cybernator wrote: »
    Just because it's a 'light' kick doesn't mean that the standing LK can't be like a K' style poke.
    What do you mean by K' style?

Is this a reference to how K' in XIV used to play like a Marvel 3 character where almost any poke could be confirmed into big damage?

Essentially. Mostly that it's useful in that it's swift and somewhat long instead of swift and short.

• forte95forte95 Buster Cannoneer Joined: Posts: 543
    NickRocks wrote: »
    id prefer mvc1 layout because mvc2 layout robbed people like venom of some of their best pokes (venoms air mk was really good for guard breaks)

but mvc2 layout is way better than mvc3 layout

Yep, mvc2 blackheart couldn't do air mp which was great in MSH :mad: but mvc2 blackheart became pretty much all about lk and demons so meh

mvc1 layout also makes more sense cause you don't need any assist buttons for this game anyway, there's no reason to scrunch up the attacks to 4 buttons to make room for assists
    I'm a physics enthusiast. Let's talk science.
    4 attack buttons works better for pad though.
    -Mike_Z

-Daigo Umehara

4 buttons means cable...ijs
    King of the Post-09ers
  • shmurdasceneshmurdascene Joined: Posts: 126
    MvC3. Launch button is a god send and its much better with 4 buttons on pad than 6. One of the shoulder buttons can be Tag, another shoulder button to activate the Gems.
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU SRK's Capcom Pro Tour Ambassador Joined: Posts: 8,970
    edited December 2016
    So far there seem to be following different theories about the layout

1) sort of debunked by VesperArcade since there are clearly 4 attack buttons plus a launcher can be seen
    LP HP
    LK HK

2) most plausible one, at least according to the gameplay trailer
    LP HP
    LK MK S

3) as speculated by Maximillian
    LP HP GEM
    LK KH TAG

some are also speculating that the game will once again imitate Mahvel 3's layout, which is..

4) in this case of course there's two buttons missing, since MVCI has no assists
    L M H
    S
    Post edited by PVL_93_RU on
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • Mr-PhelpsMr-Phelps Arcade Junkie Joined: Posts: 569 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I agree with Doctrine Dark. I didn't mind the MvC3 layout but I preferred MvC2 layout better.
    With great power comes great responsibility

IT'S SHOWTIME!!
  • Pablo_the_MexPablo_the_Mex Blond Kanye Status Joined: Posts: 8,035
    If I wanted a GG button lay out, I would have played GG. That wack ass layout killed MvC3 for me. I really do hope they bring back the GOAT MvC2 layout. I hate you all for giving MvC3 a pass.

PVL_93_RU wrote: »
    So far there seem to be different theories about the layout

1)
    LP HP
    LK HK

2)
    LP HP
    LK MK S

3)
    LP HP GEM
    LK KH TAG

I think 4-button layout is plausible.
    Double quarter-circle motions for Single supers
    LP+HP / LK+HK for Team Supers
    LP+LK for Tag
    HP+HK for Gem activation

3 sounds the best for pad and stick players
    King of the Post-09ers
    We don't see any tag after gem activation...so buttons GEM and TAG could be used to do something else...
    Ariesno wrote: »
    We don't see any tag after gem activation...so buttons GEM and TAG could be used to do something else...

Double Hyper Combo activation?
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:

Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • killthevibekillthevibe i'm a marvel player now Joined: Posts: 520

Probably cause the stones become useable after your partner has died.
  • CyberPhoenix0252CyberPhoenix0252 Joined: Posts: 353
    edited December 2016
    PVL_93_RU wrote: »
    So far there seem to be following different theories about the layout

1) sort of debunked by VesperArcade since there are clearly 4 attack buttons plus a launcher can be seen
    LP HP
    LK HK

2) most plausible one, at least according to the gameplay trailer
    LP HP
    LK MK S

3) as speculated by Maximillian
    LP HP GEM
    LK KH TAG

some are also speculating that the game will once again imitate Mahvel 3's layout, which is..

4) in this case of course there's two buttons missing, since MVCI has no assists
    L M H
    S

I like 3 the most tbh.

It could be either what @killthevibe said, or you aren't able to tag in your partner after gem activation, which I'm not sure why they'd want to do that exactly but there could be a reason for it.
    Rip sig.
    edited December 2016

Probably cause the stones become useable after your partner has died.

It could be either what @killthevibe said, or you aren't able to tag in your partner after gem activation, which I'm not sure why they'd want to do that exactly but there could be a reason for it.
    Or probably because what we saw were heavily edited trailers that were meant to show of specific things.
    -Mike_Z

-Daigo Umehara

Losing the tag-in ability after activating a Gem could be an interesting strategic twist, on top of the Gem selection
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:

Probably cause the stones become useable after your partner has died. [/quote]

Not good cause when you have very low life with one character and other full life , people will just sacrifice the first.

I hope there is some gem gauge , so if you have a very low life character try to find a way to tag and use gem with second character instead of let him died to activate.

• FaceMeAndBeBrokenFaceMeAndBeBroken FUCK JAPANESE STICKS Joined: Posts: 3,518
    I'm wanting 6.

In old VS games, attacks are more important. I mean if I'm playing a 6 button VS game, take MvC1, if I have Ryu, and you're jumping around, I may be able to dash under, S.MP, which kind of pops you up > shinkuu tatsumaki, and its pretty big damage. Even in MVC2, you have to rely on C.LK, unless the character (which arent many) have great Hard attacks.

In MVC3 with the hit bubbles and rapid fire jabs, it's even more stupid IMO. Anti-airing with S.L > multiple S.L > combo. Doesn't even make sense.

But there's def not 6 buttons. So.... one can only hope for 4, and that you can rapid fire L.
    XBL/PSN DiegoElFuego

Will play
    (PS4): KOF14, Skullgirls, Blasterz, DBXV2
    (360): MVC2, MVC:O
    (XB1): Everything else non FG's
    Marvel 3 dumped separate punches and kicks and simply used an anime inspired Light > Medium > Heavy > Launcher (S), plus 2 assist buttons.

So how did kicks come out compared to punches? I mean how can a character do a kick as opposed to a punch if there's only 3 buttons? Also what's a launcher (S)?
  • stormsasukestormsasuke Joined: Posts: 19

So how did kicks come out compared to punches? I mean how can a character do a kick as opposed to a punch if there's only 3 buttons? Also what's a launcher (S)?

You don't do kicks compared to punches. For some characters, standing light is always a punch. Others have kicks. Crouching light is the same situation. Launcher is a single strike that launches the opponent into the air for a combo.

You don't do kicks compared to punches. For some characters, standing light is always a punch. Others have kicks. Crouching light is the same situation. Launcher is a single strike that launches the opponent into the air for a combo.

Oh ok, so how did the two assist buttons work? Each one had a different assist I assume?

• CyberPhoenix0252CyberPhoenix0252 Joined: Posts: 353

Oh ok, so how did the two assist buttons work? Each one had a different assist I assume?

Yep. Tapping one of the assist buttons makes one of your other characters come out and do a move (depending what assist button is pressed), pressing and holding one of said buttons switches characters and pressing and holding both gives you a crossover combination attack.
    Rip sig.
  • ultrapowerlevelultrapowerlevel Joined: Posts: 21
    edited December 2016
    I think the MVC3 layout is best.

Pros to it is...

-Everyone has same launcher button than it being D+P, DF+P, D+K.... you don't have to find someone's launcher or have trouble remembering them.
    -You can have Light, Medium and Hard for slow, medium and fast Hadouken rather than just slow and fast Hadoukens as in LP,HP,LK,HK setup.
    -Y or Triangle served as a proper 4rth button. You could use it like a Hard in air to start combo, and send down people from earlier combo just like Hard punch, kicks in MVC2. People had moves associated with it input command plus Launcher button. It's not like it was only for launching and sending down.
    -LMHS setup from MVC3 is more accessible.
    -You could still do combos similar to LPHPLKHK setup by for example in air L>M>M(different attack)>H>S (basically second high to send down)

As with balance of kicks and punches... I think it's okay to not have punches and kicks specifically tied to buttons for each character. It's more about how fast your attack comes out, how strong it is, and how much range it has regardless of kicks or punches.

Moreover, whatever is in the trailer, can easily be achieved with LMHS. The 4 seperate attacks on both ground and air can be L>M>M>H>Launcher. Same in air.
  • Duck StrongDuck Strong Yin to all Yang Joined: Posts: 7,781
    edited January 10
    There are no assists, so why would you even need the MvC2 layout?

MvC1 layout gives more attack buttons so you automatically get more options. Whatever extra functions are needed could be mapped to HP+HP, MP+MK or LP+LK like they were in the older games.

Yep. Tapping one of the assist buttons makes one of your other characters come out and do a move (depending what assist button is pressed), pressing and holding one of said buttons switches characters and pressing and holding both gives you a crossover combination attack.

Technically letting go of the assist button within a certain number of frames calls it. That's a small but significant change that a lot of people didn't actually like in MVC3.

Let's not bring Maximillian into any of this either. The guy seems like enough, but his track record for things like this is not exactly great and he lacks a firm grasp on any of this shit either. I don't think of Max when I think Lab Monster.

p.s. Prefacing any post with "according to Max's latest vid" makes you sound like a cult member.
    My youtube channel (various MVC3 vids etc.):

http://www.youtube.com/user/CrouchStrong?feature=mhsn
  • Negative-Zer0Negative-Zer0 Joined: Posts: 9,291
    I think they should go with a layout that looks like this

LP M S
    LK H Tag

It makes it so that you can pressure characters and catch chicken block attempts using crouching jab. Everyone gets their lows. You can give characters effective mediums to poke with, unique heavy buttons, a launch button for ease of use, and a free tag button that you could do crazy stuff with, like the return of variable cross with a twist. Infinite tags but you can control one character at a time and you have to rapidly switch between your characters with a tag button.

I think the reason Capcom is going light on reveals is that they still are deciding on the layout and saying you don't need "crazy dexterity"
    “I was trying to take the easy way out by running away from everything. No matter the pain, I will keep living. So when I die, I'll feel I did the best I could.” - Koala
  • Xr0s-upXr0s-up Go banana! Joined: Posts: 1,065
    MvC1 layout gives more attack buttons so you automatically get more options. Whatever extra functions are needed could be mapped to HP+HP, MP+MK or LP+LK like they were in the older games.

as much as i'd like the mvc1 layout, they did say they want to game to be accessible on pad. I just hope they don't ditch the medium button. that button is so fucking good
    UMvC3: MODOK/Doom/Ammy; Magneto/Arthur/Haggar; Wright/Raccoon/Doom
    Revelator: Johnny

Youtube: Dentalplan
  • DeathologyDeathology Joined: Posts: 471
    Does 4 buttons really make it more accessible on pad?
  • Xr0s-upXr0s-up Go banana! Joined: Posts: 1,065
    i play on pad and street fighter is ok to play. I just lose out on nifty tricks like plinks or charging. I have to adjust to a layout that is capable of both
    UMvC3: MODOK/Doom/Ammy; Magneto/Arthur/Haggar; Wright/Raccoon/Doom
    Revelator: Johnny

Youtube: Dentalplan