GD Calisthenics Crew, GTF in here!

Core SeriesCore Series My work is done here.Joined: Posts: 555 ✭✭✭
In this thread, I will give general fitness advice to any GD'ers who want my opinion.
This is a follow up to the conversations I've started in the Dating and Relationship Thread.
My commentary has been well received there, however I feel my posts don't quite fit the tone of that discussion.
I am certified by an internationally accredited institution. I have had massive success in my personal life as a personal trainer, martial artist and model.
Roughly 50% of my real-life client base are other personal trainers. The other 50% are a varied mix of competitors, models, fashionistas, and military/law enforcement personnel.
While I maintain a working relationship with many warriors and first-responders, I do not represent the official policies of any military or law enforcement agency.
I came very close to signing a sponsorship deal with a well-known (and global) supplement company, this year. This company is above Walmart-Tier.
The deal fell through because it would have made my personal endeavors very difficult to pursue. Nothing against anybody. I would have happily pushed it through if I weren't already so active.

I will never post my face here, so please don't ask.

Out of respect for the Weight Lifting & Nutrition Thread, I will only discuss body-weight movements and the practical applications thereof.
Calisthenics and 'Weighted Calisthenics' are my area of expertise. I swear by functionality. Aesthetics are just a bonus that come along with natural compound movements.
Yes, we work legs.

I want to be a source of ideas. I am also a student of life, like everybody else. I can learn and be humbled by others.

If you're a beginner, this straight-forward routine will put you on the map.

Comments

• Black ChanlerBlack Chanler Human Error Joined: Posts: 885 ✭✭
    How do you feel about r/bodyweightfitness ?
    PSN: Leonardsbigdome
  • NickRocksNickRocks or whatever Joined: Posts: 22,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calisthenics are dope
    King of the Post-09ers
    We Are Based
    Maximilian is a racist thief
    https://clips.twitch.tv/maximilian_dood/DifferentBeeHeyGuys
  • ReticentlyReticently Joined: Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like this a lot.

Wish I had better access to a pull up bar, but it is damn cold outside round here right now.
    I have a deep respect for calisthenics because it takes a lot of core strength. I cant do any of that shit for the life of me and my goal is to be huge as fuck. But i still like the sthenix
    King of the Post-09ers
    We Are Based
  • angelpalmangelpalm Not a terrible thing to waste Joined: Posts: 22,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay ill start with a question

Whats the best practical calisthenix routine to burn fat but still maintain mass
    King of the Post-09ers
    We Are Based
    Lol yeah I thought nickcocks would have realized that question would be mostly diet dependent. Stay off them drugs nickybaby.
  • Core SeriesCore Series My work is done here. Joined: Posts: 555 ✭✭✭
    Reticently wrote: »
    I like this a lot.

Wish I had better access to a pull up bar, but it is damn cold outside round here right now.
    Ain't nuthin' but a peanut.

edited December 2016
    Okay, well there are door frame pull up bars. They're inexpensive. They aren't the best but they'll get you started.
    If that's not an option, a power rack will only run you a few hundred dollars. I have one in my living room.
    I bust reps every time I pass through, usually to failure. Take a look at this video so you know exactly what I'm saying.
    I set up my computer desk in front of it and I slide my chair back and rep it out every so often while I'm gaming. Lifestyle choices.

If something like that is beyond your range for now, well you might have to skip pull ups for now.
    Get those push ups and squat jumps in. Get it however you can.

Edit: Thought this video was cool.

Post edited by Core Series on
    I know its diet dependent turdpalm, i was asking because in bodybuilding circles and everyone i talk to the consensus is HIIT kills gains so I was asking to see what the sthenix guys perspective on that is.

Do you even lift
    King of the Post-09ers
    We Are Based
    u still need to do cardio either way fool. plus calisthenix look sw4g
    King of the Post-09ers
    We Are Based
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 19,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I have a park near by so no need to buy work out stuff, just say in I don't trust my door frames.
    Post edited by crotchpuncha on
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • JoshkazJoshkaz Princess Luna is my Waifu Joined: Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been slacking lately because of a wrist injury a few months ago, but plan on going back into it hardcore.
    "You embarrass me," said Shadow, smiling. Then Shadow took his penis out and picked Cream up. "Let me charge up for a super ejaculation!" Shadow laid Cream down on the ground and then took his penis with him, which was already huge and shaking with sex energy, and found Cream's Piggy Bank, which was full of coins and dollars and things to save up for money, so she could buy what she wanted when she had enough inside it. Shadow took it and using his muscular penis, smashed a hole right through the piggy bank so now it was sitting on top of his penis like a hat. Shadow's penis looked like it belonged in a fashion show.
    Yeah them shits are for short dudes and string bean ass frail niggas like razor and what's his name that does the kendo. That boy got like zero muscle mass lol.
    edited December 2016
    I have a park near by so no need to buy work out stuff, just say in I don't trust my door frames.
    Fair enough. There's something for everyone is this. Part of the fun of it is exploring the options. Making random objects your bitch is fun game after you have some skill.

Here's an edgy video. I hope you like it. It's one of my favorites. It illustrates the extremes. Here's a big guy for you. Guy on the left might be on TRT. Hard to say.
    Battle Starts at minute 5:00.

Tough crowd to day. I like it.

edited December 2016
    Edit: Accidental double post.

Something for the ladies.

• kAbkAb Joined: Posts: 735 ✭✭✭✭
    Rock climber here, calisthenics is life. Gotta get that strength to wait ratio up and get my finger tendons stronger.

I've got a lot of the advanced techs in the bag, still working on some complicated movements on the gymnastic rings.
    Please share some of your insights.

I work primarily on gymnastic rings. It's one of best discoveries I'd made. It totally resets your progress.
    Currently at muscle-ups for 10 reps per set, and I'm doing crosses and those sorts. The torque-effect is amazing for power gains.
    I use my Jiu Jitsu Gi as a grip trainer. I throw it over the bar and do the same routines with varied success. lol

What kinds of tools are in your shed, bro?
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 34,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ive recently started training almost exclusively calisthenics. due to some injuries i have i cant bench...i can only deadlift and do some curls. but i recently devloped an interest in the bar competitions. they seem alot like bboying and tricking which i do both of. so a friend of mine has been helping me with some workouts to develop the strength to do muscle ups since alot of the basics come from there.
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
    edited December 2016
    maxx wrote: »
    ive recently started training almost exclusively calisthenics. due to some injuries i have i cant bench...i can only deadlift and do some curls. but i recently devloped an interest in the bar competitions. they seem alot like bboying and tricking which i do both of. so a friend of mine has been helping me with some workouts to develop the strength to do muscle ups since alot of the basics come from there.

Good stuff. Try doing all of your pull ups/dips from an L-Sit. Your core gains get a serious boost, plus it saves time.
    at the moment my workouts are

set 1: 10 push ups
    10 squats
    10 pull ups
    10 dips

set 2 10 typwriter push ups(one where you lean to one side and then push up as normal then drop to the other side. then theirs another variation where i stay low to the ground going side to side the whole time.

10 lunges
    10 squats

set 3: 10 pull ups, 10 typewriter pull ups, 10 vup pull ups

i may be mixing the order a lil bit but this is more or less what ive been working on. these are just my calistenthics specific stuff. i bboy about once a week, jiu jitsu a couple times a week, tricks/flips once or twice a week. then some sort of straight up lifting i try to do almost everynight mon-thur.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    edited December 2016
    I'm digging your lifestyle, man. How much are you eating to keep your energy up?

Edit:
    This core routine looks murderous.

I'm digging your lifestyle, man. How much are you eating to keep your energy up?

its really random what im eating. the only consistent thing about my eating habits are probably my breakfast meals which generally are 3-4 eggs and 4 pieces of bacon. i work 2-6 but then head right to bjj for the most part i snack here and there. occasionally ill eat mcdonalds or sumtin before bjj and then maybe another snack by the time i get out. but by the time i actually go to the gym its about 10pm. my energy is pretty much fine..i live off of energy drinks cause i drive alot due to work.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    edited December 2016
    NickRocks wrote: »
    ...in bodybuilding circles and everyone i talk to the consensus is HIIT kills gains so I was asking to see what the sthenix guys perspective on that is.
    That's because the advice coming out of the bodybuilding circles originates from pharmaceutically enhanced sub-circles.
    For those guys, HIIT is a real gains killer. A juiced body is so primed for growth that it will actually consume itself for the sake of maintenance.
    The body doesn't know better because it is no longer holding the keys to it's own regulatory hormones. Unnatural muscle is very demanding, to say the least.

TRT is probably not an issue in this regard. The more exotic varieties are going to force entirely new requirements.
    Be careful whose advice you're following. Apples to apples. Oranges to oranges.
    Identify your peer group and scrutinize your sources of knowledge.

• kAbkAb Joined: Posts: 735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Edit:
    This core routine looks murderous.

Yo that guy shredded and I like beer way too much to ever be that ripped, but imma say his form was poor in the levers and dragon flags
  • dab00gdab00g Joined: Posts: 18,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something something gotch bible

Calisthenics best method for fitness, and the best method of building endurance for pretty much any sort of combat sports.

It is time for my monthly break from heavy lifting to recharge and let my cns heal up.

People you can get a good 30 minute workout in if you really want to in your own bedroom
  • FlameAngelZFlameAngelZ I'm gonna fuck you up! Joined: Posts: 779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    dab00g wrote: »
    get a good 30 minute workout in your bedroom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )

Exclusive Zappa Player!

FlameAngelX got banned... for excessive use of the word "mawp".
  • SmangSmang Joined: Posts: 15
    I'm really trying to get better at pull ups, I can max around 10 on the first set then following sets drop off as you might expect.

I don't follow a scrict schedule, but i try to not leave more than one day between workout, and i try to do sets at varying times of day. i also do other floor stuff plus a bit of cycling and nunchaku practice (great for warming up the arms and grip before chinning).

I've also started doing more than one session a day, but not killing myself to failure on each one.
    ie, 3 sets in the morning then 3 more mid day then another couple in the evening, 4-5 times a week instead of 10 sets in one go. I seem to have progressed much quicker like this over the last 3 months, but still failing around the 10th rep.

do you have any advice on improving my pull ups? routine/recovery/technique etc, or is it just a case of motivating myself and going ham on the bar each time? thanks in advance :)
    just practice. ive been doing pull ups since i was a kid just cause i wanted to. just practice every night or every other night and work to go 1 above what you did.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
  • white shadowwhite shadow WHAT'S MY NAME NYUKAH?!!! Joined: Posts: 13,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smang wrote: »
    I'm really trying to get better at pull ups, I can max around 10 on the first set then following sets drop off as you might expect.

I don't follow a scrict schedule, but i try to not leave more than one day between workout, and i try to do sets at varying times of day. i also do other floor stuff plus a bit of cycling and nunchaku practice (great for warming up the arms and grip before chinning).

I've also started doing more than one session a day, but not killing myself to failure on each one.
    ie, 3 sets in the morning then 3 more mid day then another couple in the evening, 4-5 times a week instead of 10 sets in one go. I seem to have progressed much quicker like this over the last 3 months, but still failing around the 10th rep.

do you have any advice on improving my pull ups? routine/recovery/technique etc, or is it just a case of motivating myself and going ham on the bar each time? thanks in advance :)

I can only go off anecdotal experience, but around 10-12 range of reps there is basically a natural plateau that occurs. Same thing happened with my friends. When you first start you gradually go up because you're basically unlocking your "natural latent potential" i.e., the type of strength you'd normally have if you were always active. Once you reach that point it becomes much more difficult to surpass that range; for example, it took me 6-7 months before I could get past the 12 rep mark consistently even though I was progressing faster with alternate calisthenic exercises like pushups and chin ups.

How did I do it? Strengthening supporting or auxiliary muscles that basically take the effort off the primary muscles doing the work when you perform the pull up. So I did dips with my legs facing forward (L position), and behind-the-back pull ups (which I realized I could barely do initially), and those exercises really hit the often neglected trapezius muscles when doing regular pull ups and slowly but surely my reps increased.

Another thing you have to realize that after a certain point reps =/= strength but endurance. For example, you might be able to do 10 weighted pull ups and still not be able to do 20-25 pull ups unweighted. Meanwhile, a skinnier but fit fellow can churn out 30+ pull ups with perfect form simply because he's not only pulling up less bodyweight, but has better overall muscular endurance. It seems counter-intuitive but everyone responds differently to exercises depending on their genetics.
    It could be Esther Baxter vs. Pat Morita in drag and half of this board would be like "black chicks don't really turn me on sooo..." - Randomnigga

" Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?!!!"- Wayne Brady from Chappelle's Show. LOL!!!
  • ManxManx Eazy Deezy Joined: Posts: 21,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On that note, here's a lifehack for those of us who train in the comfort of our homes.
    I invite you to try.

Put on a video of some extremely attractive woman doing Yoga, Pole Dancing or some solo girl action, maybe even lesbian action.
    Make sure there are NO DICKS. This is paramount. Next, resist the urge to masturbate. Instead, hit your calisthenics routine while you watch fine ladies do their thing.
    You can also use real life ladies for this purpose, but I find they get bored easily and they tend to start conversations. This kills my boner and my gains melt. I recommend videos.
    Here are some examples of what I mean:

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.

Back when I was exercising regularly, this was the method I used. I'd play bikini girl vids on the TV while I did push-ups, sit-ups and squats. Shit was awesome.

And you're so right about the no dicks thing. Watching a dick get worked will overload your willpower and make you end up fappping. Once you fap, your desire to work out will plummet.

Watching hot chicks is motivation to get your shit straight.

Nice strat.

:tup:
    ... and I'm out like I stole somethin'
    SRK thieves lasted about 5 mins until "tha man" locked me up. Even on SRK a thief's gotta hit the underground!
    "So I just realized the crip walk is just black people's version of the riverdance." - Havatchu
    "Brittany Spears gave me a leg job in an Alabama gas station bathroom" - Shaft Agent

My blog, where I write like it means something or some shit: http://manxbladesake.wordpress.com/
    Official 'Kevin Witness'
    Achievement unlocked! Offered drugs to a SRKer in real life

One of the best workouts using plyometrics and calisthenics
    edited December 2016

I think I've found the problem. This is a common mistake I encounter with clients. Applying juiced technique to a natty bro just doesn't cut it.

Natty bros need to hit failure on every attempt. Compound movements require the pre-exhaustion of the 'support/stabilizing' muscles. Destroy those defenses.
    Forget sets. Forget reps. Do 100 pull ups. Reach failure on every attempt. Rest 60 seconds between attempts.
    Your numbers will drop drastically as you progress through this routine. Keep a log of your number of pull ups. Get to 100, no matter how long it takes.
    Work on improving your time until you can finish in under 10 minutes. After that, add 5-10lbs and repeat the cycle. By this time, you'll be tricking.

Follow this tempo 1 second concentric: 1 second isometric: 2 second eccentric.

Edit:
    I've spoken with my new manager. He has agreed to book me for a semi-professional fight in Asia, March of next year.
    If everything goes well, I will post the footage right in this thread YouTube.
  • SmangSmang Joined: Posts: 15
    edited December 2016
    thanks man, I guess i'll aim for death every session :)

much appreciated. though i guess i didn't really explain that on my last sets of the day i was pretty much going to failure, even if it just meant 1 or 2 reps.

I can only go off anecdotal experience, but around 10-12 range of reps there is basically a natural plateau that occurs.

yeah that seems to be the general consensus - i just want to bust through and be able to do 20 reps one day.

edited December 2016
    thanks man, I guess i'll aim for death every session :)

I can only go off anecdotal experience, but around 10-12 range of reps there is basically a natural plateau that occurs.

yeah that seems to be the general consensus - i just want to bust through and be able to do 20 reps one day.
    Here's some additional information. Do you know why 10-12 reps is the general concensus? It's less about the number of reps. It's more about the time under tension.
    10-12 reps, if executed at optimal tempo/intensity, results in roughly roughly 45-60 seconds of TUT. This is especially true if the eccentric portion of the movement is controlled at 2-3 seconds.
    Think about this because it's very important for optimization. If each rep costs 3-5 seconds to execute, and you do between 10-12, you hit the optimal TUT of between 45-75 seconds.

With that said, the number of reps isn't nearly as important as the Time Under Tension combined with Intensity.
    Stopwatch to 60 seconds and rep it out as hard as possible for the entirety of the segment, you'll get equally good results, but probably better results in terms of calisthenics.
    You're forced to try much harder. Maximum ATP depletion is the result. That depletion causes the compensatory effect we know as hypertrophy.

The number of reps is the more easily understood parameter for the less experienced lifters. The more technical guys such as myself, and now you, know that it's about Time.

By taking the advice in my previous post, you will find that your first few attempts will be strong, and the subsequent sets will end up being 1-3 reps. That does WONDERS for growth.
    That's not because we're counting reps. It's because we're depleting our ATP in the most direct way possible.

Here's a bump. Are we finished here?
  • locoghoullocoghoul Fuck Chun Joined: Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wish I had seen this sooner actually. I used to be really fit like 8 years ago mainly from rowing/rope skipping/pull ups. Will def look the video on the OP to get started again
    3DS Friend Code: 3239-3711-4829
  • BBQBBQ ピンクゾーン Joined: Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about legs? I had knee surgery almost a year ago and while the surgery repaired my blown acl, MCL and tibia and fib, it has never fully recovered. Is there shit I can do to improve the strength in my legs as activities I do( mostly "racing" motorcycles) requires 90% usage of my legs as a buddy would say "its like doing squats on a moving platform for 20 minutes straight"

My temp job requires a lot of kneeling and reaching low places so I've been squating instead of going on my knee, which I've noticed it fires up my thighs but the other night I twisted my knee a little and it caused a lot of pain and stiffness afterwards.

So tldr what are some good work outs to help strengthen the legs to alleviate the stress on the knees.

Thank you
    edited December 2016
    BBQ wrote: »
    What about legs? I had knee surgery almost a year ago and while the surgery repaired my blown acl, MCL and tibia and fib, it has never fully recovered. Is there shit I can do to improve the strength in my legs as activities I do( mostly "racing" motorcycles) requires 90% usage of my legs as a buddy would say "its like doing squats on a moving platform for 20 minutes straight"

My temp job requires a lot of kneeling and reaching low places so I've been squating instead of going on my knee, which I've noticed it fires up my thighs but the other night I twisted my knee a little and it caused a lot of pain and stiffness afterwards.

So tldr what are some good work outs to help strengthen the legs to alleviate the stress on the knees.

Thank you
    Unfortunately, your injuries prevent me from giving general advice. In a case like this, I would need you in my studio.
    I would need to personally test your abilities. I would incrementally add resistance to various assisted movements.
    It would be irresponsible of me to say anything since I can't do that for you. I hate when this happens.

(Ever hear of a 'wall squat?' There are countless variations on this movement. I have seen it work for people with similar injuries.)

Let this be the beginning of your journey. If you can manage an isometric wall squat such as in the first video, go for ten 60-second bouts.
    You can add a medicine ball or a stack of books to your lap for added resistance. I'd have you do most leg movements in wall-assisted variations. See what you can manage safely.
    Get a specialist on your side if you can. Don't use him/her regularly. Just do check ups with them to make sure everything is going well as you regain mobility.

• BBQBBQ ピンクゾーン Joined: Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's the thing, the last therapist was stacked with clients that she just kept adding more and more stuff that it just became some bs instead of focusing on ones that would benefit me. So I stopped seeing her and never went to another one due to my job at the time and its cruddy insurance plans I had.

Its been almost a year since I got worked on and the surgeon had checked up with me a couple times and said I was good to go. But with that said, I think I could fuck shit up if I get too careless though at the same time I'm ready to build my strength back up. I know the wall one but I'd like to try some others that focuses on my thighs and calf's.
    edited December 2016
    I wouldn't deviate much. The wall is your friend. Have you tried a wall lunge? My clients report serious gains from this.

• Truest StrikeTruest Strike The Power Cosmic Joined: Posts: 444
    Love Calisthenics, Capoeira, and weight training. Blending all three are what my workouts consist of and I'll focus on one half more than the other depending on the training phase I am going through. To keep in line with the thread I'll leave weight training out.

The number of reps is the more easily understood parameter for the less experienced lifters. The more technical guys such as myself, and now you, know that it's about Time.

I definitely agree with this. 5 reps when it comes to pull-ups is plenty for me these days, but now it's becoming less and less as I focus on hanging with one arm while moving the rest of the body in different positions. Slowly working my way into a 1-arm lever.

I suggest a lot of stretching and rotation for legs if you are hurt like that

You know dude water aerobics is your best bet to keep it easy on your knees while exerting your lower body and core

Swimming and water aerobics