Unholy Night: A new fighting game from ex-SNK for... Super Nintendo??!

Hayama AkitoHayama Akito Shiaaaa!!!Joined: Posts: 1,134
https://www.facebook.com/groups/90sGames/permalink/712202415613112/

Unholy Night is a new FG from "ex-SNK staff who worked on Kizuna Encounter and KOF98, 2001 and 2002" on display at yesterday's Hong Kong Retro Game Expo '16.

The really WTF thing about this news is that Unholy Night is for Super Nintendo, and will be available in february 2017 on a 32MB cartridge.

More info (in Chinese, is someone can help...) here.
Currently playing: Vanguard Princess, Vampire Savior, Arcana Heart.

Comments

• ZageZage Joined: Posts: 41
    Why
  • Plaid_UnicornPlaid_Unicorn Camron should have won an Oscar for Paid in Full Joined: Posts: 9,722
    this is....dope in theory but my guess is Super NES is pretty available in China in some form? Can't see why else.
    Just because I lost... doesn't mean I was defeated
    "Say it loud... I main Rog and I'm proud!!!!" - Plaid Unicorn
    "I'll be honest, I don't know why you hang out in Nintendo threads. You seem to hate everything they do." - Po Pimpus
  • Yuri_AcTNYuri_AcTN Fighting Game Enthusiast Joined: Posts: 1,110
    Reading "for Super Nintendo" and "2017" in the same sentence really boggles the mind.
    "Another victory, yes, but... there is always another battle." — Arbiter
  • bchan009bchan009 Joined: Posts: 750
    this is....dope in theory but my guess is Super NES is pretty available in China in some form? Can't see why else.

lol no, it's because retro gaming is the "in thing" now. It's just like those dedicated fans/crazies who still release games on Dreamcast and other dead platforms.

SNES is just as dead in Asia as it is everywhere else.
    Check out my work!

MY WIP FIGHTING GAME

TUMBLR | hk-5.net
    YOUTUBE | youtube.com/user/bchan009
    TWITTER | twitter.com/bchan009

• CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 2,063
    edited December 2016
    Releasing for the SFC is strange, if they wanted to go for the retro collector market they should have made it for the AES or something, they pay fortunes for anything new.

But maybe they inherited business skills from OG SNK too.
  • Citrus_monkeyCitrus_monkey Joined: Posts: 1,890
    Google translate aint helping. So....is this just going to be a ROM or like, a physical cartridge? Wtf
  • HecatomHecatom Aka Black Gorilla (・Д・)ノ Joined: Posts: 22,539
    For a moment i thought that it was some kind of ROM made to use on emulators, then i saw the goddamn console :rofl:
    ( •_•) IT'S NOT RAPE,
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    IT'S SURPRISE SEX! (⌐■_■)
    YEAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!
    "Orgasm is a simile for the emotional epiphany a woman has when the shame of penetration is eclipsed by the inherent virtue of servicing a man." ~ Kromo.
    ( •_•)
    ( ಠ_ಠ)
    ( ಥ_ಥ)
  • EnigamiEnigami Joined: Posts: 16
    edited December 2016
    Very interesting and strange. An SNES fighting game with only 6 characters, I'm guessing it's just a hobby project?

Went around looking for info + tied to see what I could take from google translate, here's what little I've managed to put together:

It's very likely on a physical cartridge, because it's shown being played on the Super Famicom Naizou TV SF1 (if you couldn't tell by the name, it's a TV with an SNES built in).

Facebook post says something about February 2017, from the way the rest of the post looks I think it says they're going to have a playable demo at a store (or some other location).

Controls:
    →: Forward
    ←: Backward
    →→: ??? (assuming dash)
    ←←: ??? (assuming dash)
    ↑: Jump
    ↓↑: Big Jump
    ↓: Crouch
    START: Pause/Unpause
    SELECT: Unused
    A: 中攻擊/決定 - Google Translate: "Injury / decision" - ???
    B 輕攻擊/返回 - Google Translate: "Hunting / returning" - ???
    X 強攻擊 - Google Translate: "Strike with a force" - Most likely Heavy Attack
    Y (L and R do something here): 同步計儲氣 - Google Translate: "Same walk meter" - Very likely Special Attack, with L/R probably changing which special attack will be used.

Google Translate on 'Same Walker':
    What is called "same walker"
    "Super decease technique" for use "and" cancellation of defense "demand demand same.
    After use "super decease technique" and "defense cancellation", the congregation consumption Ichijyo same walking costume.
    This method is cumulative less than passing method.
    ★ Defense Aggressive Attack ★ Receiving Injury Injury ★ Supply Hand Injury Injury ★ Defensive Force Attack ★ Manual Same Pedagographer Profit ※ Not Same Square Angle Colors, Increasing Same Pedagogical Increase Trend Side Place Inevitable.
    • Less than 1 year after the decrease in physical strength, increase in rewards • Prior to the war, brief periods of increase in rewards for social welfare etc.

Characters:
    120354m569t0phqoh0n0mo.jpg
    Lightning (BLAZE) - Hunter
    Half vampire, something about Black Family Clan, being an orphan, and a name (Ichika Hakuaku, guessing that's his name?).

120354hhq3l6xg3ffl6qd3.jpg
    Hero (REINHARDT) - Hunter
    The description seems to just state that he's a holy knight, as if that wasn't obvious from his appearance already.

120820y8108wp0ort110ok.jpg
    Silver Bell(???) (EMILY) - Hunter
    Something about investigating worshiper congregations?

120354r3bgo6666g926xaf.jpg
    God King (CRONOS) - Darkness
    Sounds like he's a resurrected vampire, some sort of involvement with a corporation named Hadase Odyssey Company.

120354q2d7s236uu37l66f.jpg
    Warrior (WURZEL) - Darkness
    Didn't gather much beyond 'Wolf Clan soldier'.

120354cutktmlqt6hi6jmh.jpg
    Nightmare (NIGHTMARE) - Darkness
    Google translate gave me word salad here.

Screenshots:
    %E9%AD%94%E7%95%8C%E7%8B%A9%E4%BA%BA_01.jpg?w=1000
    %E9%AD%94%E7%95%8C%E7%8B%A9%E4%BA%BA_06.jpg?w=1000
    %E9%AD%94%E7%95%8C%E7%8B%A9%E4%BA%BA_03.jpg?w=1000
    %E9%AD%94%E7%95%8C%E7%8B%A9%E4%BA%BA_04.jpg?w=1000
    %E9%AD%94%E7%95%8C%E7%8B%A9%E4%BA%BA_05.jpg?w=1000
    post.jpg
    115843c4yhkjwzj8wylkjw.png
    115423to8jox26jx8vkj9x.png115423v5u0tu2mczm4l5v2.png
    115423qop21jfq1ji12qp1.png115423cqganzwmagaqenxa.png
    115423jnmlpypgl79ypm7p.png115423sm0ty6q6zi7avqqi.png
    115423eihzxqtx15vaudt1.png115423td0lvlluvj2nlunf.png
    115424u2d3vqmvfngnc3th.png115424fv06u1k2fq3efef3.png
    115424qdgtzdpwzpjfmcxi.png115424u2d3etef3zamd89b.png
    115424wuchhgcm67dmcfqg.png115424f17lumribt1is6l0.png
    115424er5bb7t52rtb5nn6.png
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,425
    This looks tight as a motherlicker. I hope they sell NTSC repro carts so I can grab a copy.
  • kenurankenuran Kerberotte Joined: Posts: 2,068
    Some gameplay footage here

I am The God of Might.

Teaching yourself Kanji is quite the bitch...
  • Evolution169Evolution169 Wake up DP is unbeatable Joined: Posts: 1,030
    It'd be nice to see a proper port to PC. I'd buy it on Steam, but I'm definitely not buying an SNES cartridge.
  • ParryAllParryAll Dangerous Posts Joined: Posts: 3,311
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/90sGames/permalink/712202415613112/

Unholy Night is a new FG from "ex-SNK staff who worked on Kizuna Encounter and KOF98, 2001 and 2002" on display at yesterday's Hong Kong Retro Game Expo '16.

The really WTF thing about this news is that Unholy Night is for Super Nintendo, and will be available in february 2017 on a 32MB cartridge.

More info (in Chinese, is someone can help...) here.

Judging by the graphics and animation, that is a 32Mbit cartridge (around 3MB) not 32MB
    "Third Strike just has that flow which somehow alienates you from your surroundings and really plugs your brain into the match your playing and your able to comprehend so many different situations and mind games and mixups in such a limited amount of time and all this without even thinking" - Nubilous

"[3rd Strike] makes you feel like the character is an extension of yourself when you get good enough." - AzureWolf

"Street Fighter is now like The Simpsons. It's been bad longer than it's been good." -ParryAll
  • Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero You will become a slave to your pleasu- erm... Functions. Joined: Posts: 2,850
    Nightmare looks nice
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GDHTP | Twitch Channel: great_dark_hero
    PSN: Dark_Ice_Saiko
    KOFXIV: Kyo / Geese / Mai [Luong, Geese, Leona, Shun, Beni, King, Terry]
    DOA5LR: Mai [Nyotengu, Kasumi]
    Tekken 7: Heihachi [Xiaoyu, M. Raven, Jin, Lars]
    BBCF: Hakumen[Azaerl, Nine, Izayoi]
    SFV : ???
    Come to dreamcancel.com for KOFXIV FAQS, wiki-updates, and mini-guides!

• ilitiritilitirit Joined: Posts: 6,377
    Jumps are too floaty; knees are too pointy.
  • kenurankenuran Kerberotte Joined: Posts: 2,068
    http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2017/01/05/104513.html

Game is set to release in late March
    I am The God of Might.

Teaching yourself Kanji is quite the bitch...
  • UbersaurusUbersaurus RIP Kinn "ROBOTRON" Joined: Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Got this today - anyone else have trouble with the special move inputs? They seem really strict.
    When someone asks if you're a god...say yes