Ultra SF2 General Discussion - We need the CPS1 music!

Comments

• GrieversGunbladeGrieversGunblade Joined: Posts: 228
    I saw that he can also climb the cage in his stage again.
    Ultra Street Fighter IV: Vega, Blanka, Decapre
    Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Dante, Zero, Wolverine
  • Pablo_the_MexPablo_the_Mex Blond Kanye Status Joined: Posts: 8,156
    True they even changed the latency and charge move input windows and now we got a Boxer that can teleport from one corner to the other with double dashes and crazy Guile combos with sonics booms into super !

I half feel this is what we deserve after the ST community crucified Sirlin for HDR lol.

Sirlin had one job. Port ST over to next-gen consoles. That was it lol.

• x64x64 Fuck your SRK Joined: Posts: 3,149

Yeah I forgot about that. But I guess in a tournament situation they can just ban Vega's stage if Vega is being used.

Did you know HDR was originally supposed to be an HD version of Alpha 3? Had Sirlin not convinced Capcom to go do the HDR thing we likely wouldn't have gotten anything SF2 related until USF2 came out.

ST/HDR/USF2: Honda/Rog/O.Hawk | USF4: Bison | SFV: Ryu :(
    XBL: mr x64 | PSN: deadpool_zero | SFV: epistaxis64
    Fightcade/USF2: x64
  • FoolinfectionFoolinfection Big fish in a little pond 4 LIFE Joined: Posts: 2,165

Yeah I forgot about that. But I guess in a tournament situation they can just ban Vega's stage if Vega is being used.

Did you know HDR was originally supposed to be an HD version of Alpha 3? Had Sirlin not convinced Capcom to go do the HDR thing we likely wouldn't have gotten anything SF2 related until USF2 came out.

I disagree with the notion that we wouldn't have gotten anything sf2 related until ultra. Capcom was on a rampage doing HD rereleases of their old fighters last gen. We got mvc2, mvc1, msh, vs, vh, 3s, plus non-hd rereleases of stuff like cvs2 and capcom fighting jam. I would be hard pressed to believe that something sf2 related wouldn't have been tossed around in there somewhere.
    Welcome to the internet. God help you if you have an opinion.

I should start keeping written letters in sealed envelopes when I go to tournaments. If i get bodied, I give them one, and when they open it up it says "fuk u"

I disagree with the notion that we wouldn't have gotten anything sf2 related until ultra. Capcom was on a rampage doing HD rereleases of their old fighters last gen. We got mvc2, mvc1, msh, vs, vh, 3s, plus non-hd rereleases of stuff like cvs2 and capcom fighting jam. I would be hard pressed to believe that something sf2 related wouldn't have been tossed around in there somewhere.

Capcom seems to have pretty much forgotten the SF2 series existed up until recently imo.

• DRWDRW Joined: Posts: 438
    Is there a way to extract the artworks from the disc when using a PC?
    DRW wrote: »
    Is there a way to extract the artworks from the disc when using a PC?

Not a disc. It's on a cart. Probably have to wait until the Switch gets hacked before you can rip assets.
  • LiangHuBBBLiangHuBBB Joined: Posts: 2,089
    v.ken just air grabbed my flask kick 3 times in a row
    never gonna AA this character again with FK in this game lol
    www.youtube.com/user/LiangHuBBB
    edited June 17
    LiangHuBBB wrote: »
    v.ken just air grabbed my flask kick 3 times in a row
    never gonna AA this character again with FK in this game lol

You must not be waiting long enough. If you hit between flash kick startup and the apex, you get this:

Guile_fk5.png

You want ether the startup of the flash kick (so, last possible second):

Guile_fk4.png

Or the apex:

Guile_fk7.png

Usually just timing the flashkick AA for the last second is the best option. Take a look at the Guile ST wiki for more stuff. Nothing for Guile has changed in USF2 as far as I know.

• Spirited_AwaySpirited_Away Joined: Posts: 501 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

Capcom seems to have pretty much forgotten the SF2 series existed up until recently imo.

Why would they remember the game is grandpa status now ! USF2 probably happened because Nintendo wanted a Street Fighter game on Switch.
    Capcom being lame and cheap as usual went for SF2 there is already assets laying around (HDR) that can polished, A few hack jobs (E.Ryu/V.Ken) some good UI designers and everything was ready.
    Not a disc. It's on a cart. Probably have to wait until the Switch gets hacked before you can rip assets.
    Oh. Until now, I didn't know that they were using cartridges. I thought those are DVDs or BluRays.

O.k., then another question:

When watching the artworks, do they look like those are the actual computer files that they also use for creating books etc.? Or do they look like someone took a physical book and simply scanned it?

I.e. does the game show the clean master files or just a digitized version of a physical print?
    Why would they remember the game is grandpa status now ! USF2 probably happened because Nintendo wanted a Street Fighter game on Switch.
    Capcom being lame and cheap as usual went for SF2 there is already assets laying around (HDR) that can polished, A few hack jobs (E.Ryu/V.Ken) some good UI designers and everything was ready.

I won't deny for a second that USF2 was nothing but a lazy "port" done at Nintendo's behest. The thing I don't get is that Street Fighter II always makes money. Both Hyper Fighting and HDR broke digital sales records for Microsoft on the Xbox 360. Why Capcom doesn't have ST/3s/Alpha3 available on pretty much every console out is mind-boggling.
  • SpoonmanSpoonman Joined: Posts: 380
    edited June 18
    Oh. Until now, I didn't know that they were using cartridges. I thought those are DVDs or BluRays.

O.k., then another question:

When watching the artworks, do they look like those are the actual computer files that they also use for creating books etc.? Or do they look like someone took a physical book and simply scanned it?

I.e. does the game show the clean master files or just a digitized version of a physical print?

The game is also availabe as a digital download (on Nintendo Switch, obviously). Answering your question regarding the digital book, they look like clean master files to me, not like someone took a physical book and scanned it.
    Spoonman wrote: »
    The game is also availabe as a digital download (on Nintendo Switch, obviously).

Yeah, the problematic thing is: I'd like to have these artworks. Therefore, I'd need a way to transfer them to the PC. This would only work if the files themselves can somehow be tranferred to the PC and there's a way to extract the image files.
    edited June 18
    A few japanese players seems to have found a new bug in this game that extend throws.
    Not sure if it's exclusive to Gief :peace:

A few japanese players seems to have found a new bug in this game that extend throws.
    Not sure if it's exclusive to Gief :peace:

Looks like a regular throw gets SPD range, which is funny since it kinda is useless for gief but would be great for every other character.
  • Big OBig O Joined: Posts: 377
    It seems that if you SPD right when a normal attack ends, you get SPD and a normal throw at the same time and the normal throw takes priority. So you end up getting SPD ranged normal throws. It probably isn't Zangief exclusive and can work with other special throws based on how it works.

Kinda neat, but ultimately nothing major.
    Answering your question regarding the digital book, they look like clean master files to me, not like someone took a physical book and scanned it.
    How large are the images anyway? Can they be zoomed?

Let's take the original arcade flyer for "Street Fighter II": What's the approximate resolution of the image? Can it be zoomed, so that it's bigger than the screen? If not, how many room does it take on an HD screen?
    I don't know if anyone else has said this but U.Hawk's HK grab can no longer be used in a throw loop (it wiffs now), which makes him officially shittier than N.Hawk.
    edited June 20
    Answering your question regarding the digital book, they look like clean master files to me, not like someone took a physical book and scanned it.

Let's take the original arcade flyer for "Street Fighter II": What's the approximate resolution of the image? Can it be zoomed, so that it's bigger than the screen? If not, how many room does it take on an HD screen?

Sorry if I can't get very technical here, but the images seem quite high res, you can zoom in quite a lot, in summary they are very good quality files.
    edited June 20
    I don't know if anyone else has said this but U.Hawk's HK grab can no longer be used in a throw loop (it wiffs now), which makes him officially shittier than N.Hawk.

That sucks removes some of the mixups post HK throw.
    U.Hawk's Typhoon and Double Typhoon ticks now is super easy that I can Sako tick people using the D-pad I'm not sure what really changed the input window or pre-jump frames.

Zangief's bug also gives his FAB more range you can do far standing short - FAB now !

U.Guile's walk speed is slower with a faster Jab Sonic boom at least that's my impression from playing him unless the wacko new speed setting is playing tricks on me.

V.Ken can renda cancel into super just like N.Ken (example low short x 2, super motion + short~forward)

Zangief's bug also gives his FAB more range you can do far standing short - FAB now !

Wow that would be pretty tough to spin the stick twice in the amount of time you have to buffer on a standing lk. Probably easier since USF2 is slow as shit lol.

Sorry if I can't get very technical here, but the images seem quite high res, you can zoom in quite a lot, in summary they are very good quality files.

O.k., thanks for the information.
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 5,647
    rcaido wrote: »

If that is possible then very few people can do that, i've been trying to do it for past hour & cant. I suck with execution though....

Anyway, in other news...The Switch 3.0 firmware allows Brooks Universal too work! Just hold down the 1K before insterting the USB!
    20170620_142613_zps5fq1vkll.jpg

Are people using Akuma, V. Ken, and E. Ryu at mother russia
  • rcaidorcaido Dynamic Bayside Duo Joined: Posts: 8,288
    Jion_Wansu wrote: »

If that is possible then very few people can do that, i've been trying to do it for past hour & cant. I suck with execution though....

Anyway, in other news...The Switch 3.0 firmware allows Brooks Universal too work! Just hold down the 1K before insterting the USB!

Are people using Akuma, V. Ken, and E. Ryu at mother russia

This coming friday ill find out. V. Ken & E. Ryu doesn't seem that bad. I mean Gief already has so many bad matchups, its probably one of his better ones in this game.

Am i imagining things but do the fireballs inflict more damage? Deejay, Guile, & Chun seem really strong in this game.
    edited June 25

This coming friday ill find out. V. Ken & E. Ryu doesn't seem that bad. I mean Gief already has so many bad matchups, its probably one of his better ones in this game.

Am i imagining things but do the fireballs inflict more damage? Deejay, Guile, & Chun seem really strong in this game.

Everything actually seems to do more damage we can thank Capcom for removing the random damage from the game without actually Normalizing the damage values =)

Deejay, Guile and Chun are somewhat better at least DJ/Guile can bait you into jumping into their Supers not to mention some funky fireball into super corner combos !!

If you set inputs into LITE cancelling into super becomes baby mode just like Alpha's and SF3.

Everything actually seems to do more damage we can thank Capcom for removing the random damage from the game without actually Normalizing the damage values =)

Deejay, Guile and Chun are somewhat better at least DJ/Guile can bait you into jumping into their Supers not to mention some funky fireball into super corner combos !!

If you set inputs into LITE cancelling into super becomes baby mode just like Alpha's and SF3.

As far as i can tell, the only moves that seem to do extra damage are projectiles. For whatever reason they are like 40% stronger than normal. Every other move seems to do the average damage from ST.
    edited June 25
    Big O wrote: »
    As far as i can tell, the only moves that seem to do extra damage are projectiles. For whatever reason they are like 40% stronger than normal. Every other move seems to do the average damage from ST.

As if the non plasma chuckers sans Vega and Balrog had it tough enough already. Also anyone notice how fast Akuma's and E.Ryu's raging demon super is? It's like a fucking teleport after the super flash. Probably to compensate for how molassis slow USF2 is. At least it has a head hurtbox immediately. Also find it weird that Akuma and V.Ken get invincible SRKs and Ryu/Ken/E.Ryu don't.

As if the non plasma chuckers sans Vega and Balrog had it tough enough already. Also anyone notice how fast Akuma's and E.Ryu's raging demon super is? It's like a fucking teleport after the super flash. Probably to compensate for how molassis slow USF2 is. At least it has a head hurtbox immediately. Also find it weird that Akuma and V.Ken get invincible SRKs and Ryu/Ken/E.Ryu don't.

I don't know what game are you playing, because of molassis slow, I mean really? this kind of typical Internet Hyperbole pretty much negates any decent atemp at discussion.
    I don't know what game are you playing, because of molassis slow, I mean really? this kind of typical Internet Hyperbole pretty much negates any decent atemp at discussion.

I'm one of the biggest SF2 fans around. I'm not trying to start negative discussion about USF2. I do believe the slower game speed is worse than ST speed. Most ST players probably would agree. I think the non-balance changes along with Akuma/E.Ryu/V.Ken are bigger talking points though.

• gamingsagegamingsage shoto 4 lyfe Joined: Posts: 210
    edited June 26

So is the Brooks adapter you're talking about something that can easily be plugged into the switch? And then like my PS4 stick gets plugged into it? Or is it like an internal stick component/motherboard or something like that?
    www.twitch.tv/superuiuri
    gamingsage wrote: »

So is the Brooks adapter you're talking about something that can easily be plugged into the switch? And then like my PS4 stick gets plugged into it? Or is it like an internal stick component/motherboard or something like that?

The one i have in my cabs are the Universal Brooks PCBs. This does xbox360/ps3/xb1/ps4 & now switch. Brooks also has a brooks adapter for PS3/PS4 to Wii U that allows you to use it on your switch.
    71KuQC4nBcL._AC_SX430_.jpg

I just ordered two, hopefully come this week. I heard no noticeable lag with them too.

As for the speed of USf2, i really dont find any issue with it. So far the only thing i do have with the game is the damage output with certain moves. Of course Akuma air fireball is still the bane of all SF2.
    Does anyone here have USF2 w/ Universal Brooks pcb? I been trying to do Evil Ryu & Akuma Raging demon maybe 1 out 50 tries it comes out. Can someone test it out for me, also people who have PS3/PS4 to Wii U converter.
    So I'm trying to think of a reason for people to use U.Ken over V.Ken. I honestly can't think of anything. V.Ken takes slightly more damage and loses juice kicks but gains so much more with his fast walk speed, invincible SRK, and command dash. Wish we had frame data for USF2. I'm almost certain V.Ken has O.Ken's better hadokens.
    So I'm trying to think of a reason for people to use U.Ken over V.Ken. I honestly can't think of anything. V.Ken takes slightly more damage and loses juice kicks but gains so much more with his fast walk speed, invincible SRK, and command dash. Wish we had frame data for USF2. I'm almost certain V.Ken has O.Ken's better hadokens.

I had the same feeling when I played V.Ken the fireballs are definitely better than U.Ken it could possible be O.Ken's framedata.

My only reason to pick U.Ken the play style is different same story with Vanilla ST's O.Ken/N.Ken.
    I haven't tooled around much with E.Ryu but it seems he has every tool U.Ryu has with the exception of normal red fireball and super with the addition of controllable close and far normals. I think it's funny that E.Ryu has both of the best overheads in the game.
  • evoanonevoanon FP Black Inside Joined: Posts: 431
    Does anyone here have USF2 w/ Universal Brooks pcb? I been trying to do Evil Ryu & Akuma Raging demon maybe 1 out 50 tries it comes out. Can someone test it out for me, also people who have PS3/PS4 to Wii U converter.

Holding Fierce helps out a lot
    Just noticed Gief's lariat can be activated with two punch or kick buttons instead of three, which of course makes pianoing SPDs impossible. Another bad character made worse by dumb changes. Sirlin nailed this with HDR by making punch lariat lp/lk and kick lariat mp/mk.
  • DreamTRDreamTR Console is the suck Joined: Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I don't think there is anything wrong with the speed of the game offline. Offline the game plays fine. Online the game is questionable at best. I think people were so used to ST that the norm of the US (should be speed 2) got blown up with hyper speeds (speed 3 here is faster than speed 3 Japan, so it needs to be Free Select xxx, etc) just changed how people think games should be. People wonder why certain characters are so good with the speed and why you can't punish some stuff or at least it seems that way (insert Balrog here) from ST.

The bottom line is yes, the game is slower than ST, but probably should have been at a "2" anyway as default. The only Street Fighter game that had a speed setting that needed to be changed to make it playable (which we did back then) was Street Fighter Alpha 1. SSF2 did not have a speed setting, so the game ended up being more fun on SNES/Genesis (Xband) and a lot of players went back to Hyper Fighting at the time.

Arcade for Life!
    http://www.gamegalaxyarcade.com
    Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat player since the beginning. No team, no affiliation.
    I'd just like better/more filter options for the Classic graphics setting, that is all.
    edited July 3
    DreamTR wrote: »
    I don't think there is anything wrong with the speed of the game offline. Offline the game plays fine. Online the game is questionable at best. I think people were so used to ST that the norm of the US (should be speed 2) got blown up with hyper speeds (speed 3 here is faster than speed 3 Japan, so it needs to be Free Select xxx, etc) just changed how people think games should be. People wonder why certain characters are so good with the speed and why you can't punish some stuff or at least it seems that way (insert Balrog here) from ST.

The bottom line is yes, the game is slower than ST, but probably should have been at a "2" anyway as default. The only Street Fighter game that had a speed setting that needed to be changed to make it playable (which we did back then) was Street Fighter Alpha 1. SSF2 did not have a speed setting, so the game ended up being more fun on SNES/Genesis (Xband) and a lot of players went back to Hyper Fighting at the time.

No one played US ST @ Turbo 3. At least anyone who knew what they were doing. Capcom said the speed was barely faster than SSF2 for USF2. Feels the exact same to me.
  • ExposedDExposedD Persona 5 Joined: Posts: 6,270
    edited July 3
    @studtrooper

Watch at 38:50

Persona 5
    Jesus DSP is insufferable. Don't really care for getting recorded without my permission ether. Whatevs.

No one played US ST @ Turbo 3. At least anyone who knew what they were doing. Capcom said the speed was barely faster than SSF2 for USF2. Feels the exact same to me.

All the tournaments out here were Turbo 3 back in the day of the "majors" for ST. I would say this is Turbo 1 to 2. Super Street Fighter II is way slower. The preferred speed for everyone i knew was 2 but lots of tournaments used 3 for some reason on the US board or Free Select 3.
    Arcade for Life!
    Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat player since the beginning. No team, no affiliation.
    All the tournaments out here were Turbo 3 back in the day of the "majors" for ST. I would say this is Turbo 1 to 2. Super Street Fighter II is way slower. The preferred speed for everyone i knew was 2 but lots of tournaments used 3 for some reason on the US board or Free Select 3.

That must've been in the very beginning when no one had set on the standard of US Turbo 2/JPN Turbo 3. I've never once seen a tourney run since the mid 2000s using US T3.
    Based on the youtube video with the brief changelist for USF2, it runs at 1.35x speed. ST at Japan Turbo 3 runs at 1.43x speed and technically changes the true speed of the game based on the stage you pick. Thorough testing probably hasn't been done for the frame skip formula on a stage by stage basis, so the possibility exists that the speed they are using in this game is the same speed as ST on one of the slower stages.

Personally, I think having a consistent speed and non-funky behavior with stages outweighs the slightly slower game speed. It would have been nice to have speed options though.

Speaking of which, this game could use a patch or two adding in some stuff. Like a SFX toggle separate from the BGM, speed settings, and viewable hitboxes/hurtboxes in training mode. Gameplay stuff like changing 2 button lariats to LP+LK and MP+MK, nerfing projectile damage back to ST levels, nerfing air fireball to the ground, and buffing the low tiers in general would also be nice.
    Based on the youtube video with the brief changelist for USF2, it runs at 1.35x speed. ST at Japan Turbo 3 runs at 1.43x speed and technically changes the true speed of the game based on the stage you pick. Thorough testing probably hasn't been done for the frame skip formula on a stage by stage basis, so the possibility exists that the speed they are using in this game is the same speed as ST on one of the slower stages.

Personally, I think having a consistent speed and non-funky behavior with stages outweighs the slightly slower game speed. It would have been nice to have speed options though.

Speaking of which, this game could use a patch or two adding in some stuff. Like a SFX toggle separate from the BGM, speed settings, and viewable hitboxes/hurtboxes in training mode. Gameplay stuff like changing 2 button lariats to LP+LK and MP+MK, nerfing projectile damage back to ST levels, nerfing air fireball to the ground, and buffing the low tiers in general would also be nice.

If they did all that, the ST people will just complain that its Sirlin all over again. I really wish there were lobby rooms in casuals. Nerfing the fireball damage & omit Akuma or his air fireball, would make the game good enough until the new consoles come out with Super Ultra SF2.

How awesome would it have been if they actually had DLC characters. Like SF3, 4, Alpha, Ex character packages.

That must've been in the very beginning when no one had set on the standard of US Turbo 2/JPN Turbo 3. I've never once seen a tourney run since the mid 2000s using US T3.

It was. I always tried to run everything on Turbo 2 even back then because 3 was ridiculous in the US. All the tourneys I was involved in were 1994-2004, I played at MWC in 2009 and TOL at EVO but I can't use Japanese sticks, so all these so called "standards" have been a major issues for me. Turbo 3, 360 optic joysticks back in the day, now Japanese cabs (a lot of people complain if they are not head to head?) random SuperGuns, etc. I have to sit on the floor when I play because I am used to a stable cabinet and 20 years of a US style stick. I know I went off on a rant, but everything has been switched around so much the past few years when people ave been adamant on one thing for 10+ years then it all changes.

I am glad it is/should be Turbo 2 USA though. Ugh to that Turbo 3 nonsense.
    Arcade for Life!
    Kinda feel we should start a new thread cataloging the changes from ST to Ultra to make it easy to find. Should we do that or ask the OP to update the first post?