The Nintendo Switch Thread! - Welcome to New Donk City! (ARMS out now!)

1111214161726

Comments

  • NecrotrophicNecrotrophic Isn't a communist. Joined: Posts: 5,611
    mario kart is kinda overrated in general. they're fun games but they've always been casual party games
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
  • SonichumanSonichuman You're too sloooww!! Joined: Posts: 18,251
    purbeast wrote: »
    Darksakul wrote: »
    purbeast wrote: »
    Prime has had the 20% off for amazon prime members for like over a year now. It's not exclusive to these Switch games, it's any new release.
    Thank you Sir Buzz Killington.
    And the last good Mario Kart game was the SNES one. It's been complete trash since then. The game has had 0 sense of speed since back then and takes no skill to be good at.
    I doubt you ever played any of the Mario Kart games, except for maybe Toad's Pikeway on the N64, fuck that track.

    You also missed the point of Mario Kart, it was never about the sense of speed. Its more Hanna Barbera's Wacky Races than the actual show Hanna Barbera's Wacky Races but substitute the generic Hanna Barbera characters for Mario Bros (and later other Nintendo) characters.

    Mario Kart on SNES has way more a sense of speed than any of the iterations after that. I didn't "miss" anything. They just dumbed the game down big time and it's only gotten dumber. I have played the Wii U version 2x and both times I was beating most people who I was playing the game with, and they own the game. The game just isn't challenging and I don't like games that aren't challenging. If I'm playing a competitive game I want it to be a game that can be easy to get into but tough to master.

    I remember buying MK64 and having the full game completed and mastered within like a week. It was such a disappointment. It was way too easy, as are all of the newer ones.

    That said, they are still fun playing with 4 people in the same room as you. And it can't be played seriously, it's just a party game like Wii Play or Nintendoland.

    If you happen to somehow find mk8d for cheaper ( yes i know...its going to be like finding a unicorn for the first year or so if that) then please race with us and I hope one of us can change your mind on you finding it not challenging.
  • chadouken!chadouken! less < more Joined: Posts: 4,784
    Sonichuman wrote: »
    purbeast wrote: »
    Darksakul wrote: »
    purbeast wrote: »
    Prime has had the 20% off for amazon prime members for like over a year now. It's not exclusive to these Switch games, it's any new release.
    Thank you Sir Buzz Killington.
    And the last good Mario Kart game was the SNES one. It's been complete trash since then. The game has had 0 sense of speed since back then and takes no skill to be good at.
    I doubt you ever played any of the Mario Kart games, except for maybe Toad's Pikeway on the N64, fuck that track.

    You also missed the point of Mario Kart, it was never about the sense of speed. Its more Hanna Barbera's Wacky Races than the actual show Hanna Barbera's Wacky Races but substitute the generic Hanna Barbera characters for Mario Bros (and later other Nintendo) characters.

    Mario Kart on SNES has way more a sense of speed than any of the iterations after that. I didn't "miss" anything. They just dumbed the game down big time and it's only gotten dumber. I have played the Wii U version 2x and both times I was beating most people who I was playing the game with, and they own the game. The game just isn't challenging and I don't like games that aren't challenging. If I'm playing a competitive game I want it to be a game that can be easy to get into but tough to master.

    I remember buying MK64 and having the full game completed and mastered within like a week. It was such a disappointment. It was way too easy, as are all of the newer ones.

    That said, they are still fun playing with 4 people in the same room as you. And it can't be played seriously, it's just a party game like Wii Play or Nintendoland.

    If you happen to somehow find mk8d for cheaper ( yes i know...its going to be like finding a unicorn for the first year or so if that) then please race with us and I hope one of us can change your mind on you finding it not challenging.
    Shots fired!
    This SRK nonsense will never stop.
    -jimmy1200, unbanned
  • T20thoughtsT20thoughts Shurororororo! Joined: Posts: 1,560
    If you want a challenge, I'd say to go for Mario Kart Super Circuit for the GBA SP. Going for max rank in that game can be pleasantly brutal, but doable - you can defend against most things with a held item.

    Mario Kart Double Dash was good darn fun, but mostly for the co-op. I and some college friends of mine basically went through the entire game in that mode over the course of a Saturday. Super addictive.
  • purbeastpurbeast Joined: Posts: 4,557
    edited April 10
    Sonichuman wrote: »
    purbeast wrote: »
    Darksakul wrote: »
    purbeast wrote: »
    Prime has had the 20% off for amazon prime members for like over a year now. It's not exclusive to these Switch games, it's any new release.
    Thank you Sir Buzz Killington.
    And the last good Mario Kart game was the SNES one. It's been complete trash since then. The game has had 0 sense of speed since back then and takes no skill to be good at.
    I doubt you ever played any of the Mario Kart games, except for maybe Toad's Pikeway on the N64, fuck that track.

    You also missed the point of Mario Kart, it was never about the sense of speed. Its more Hanna Barbera's Wacky Races than the actual show Hanna Barbera's Wacky Races but substitute the generic Hanna Barbera characters for Mario Bros (and later other Nintendo) characters.

    Mario Kart on SNES has way more a sense of speed than any of the iterations after that. I didn't "miss" anything. They just dumbed the game down big time and it's only gotten dumber. I have played the Wii U version 2x and both times I was beating most people who I was playing the game with, and they own the game. The game just isn't challenging and I don't like games that aren't challenging. If I'm playing a competitive game I want it to be a game that can be easy to get into but tough to master.

    I remember buying MK64 and having the full game completed and mastered within like a week. It was such a disappointment. It was way too easy, as are all of the newer ones.

    That said, they are still fun playing with 4 people in the same room as you. And it can't be played seriously, it's just a party game like Wii Play or Nintendoland.

    If you happen to somehow find mk8d for cheaper ( yes i know...its going to be like finding a unicorn for the first year or so if that) then please race with us and I hope one of us can change your mind on you finding it not challenging.

    LOL @ playing a Nintendo console online. I don't plan on taking my Switch online ever, and not a chance in hell I'm going to pay for their service when I have to use an app on my cell phone to communicate with other people.

    And I don't just mean challenging against the CPU, I mean against other people. Getting lightning in SMK was a treat to get, but now they hand that shit out like it's cookies. And instead of just 1 red shell, they give you 3 of them? They just completely dumbed the game down to make a it a party game, which is all that it is.
  • NeoBloodNeoBlood kara bank account Joined: Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    DD actually let you dodge red shells (and blue but it's way hard) if you get gud-ed enough.
  • purbeastpurbeast Joined: Posts: 4,557
    You could dodge red shells in SMK as well if you were good. I completely forgot about the blue shell ... what a stupid fucking weapon.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 21,588
    purbeast wrote: »
    You could dodge red shells in SMK as well if you were good. I completely forgot about the blue shell ... what a stupid fucking weapon.

    Blue Shell isn't a issue if you are good.
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • SonichumanSonichuman You're too sloooww!! Joined: Posts: 18,251
    purbeast wrote: »
    Sonichuman wrote: »
    purbeast wrote: »
    Darksakul wrote: »
    purbeast wrote: »
    Prime has had the 20% off for amazon prime members for like over a year now. It's not exclusive to these Switch games, it's any new release.
    Thank you Sir Buzz Killington.
    And the last good Mario Kart game was the SNES one. It's been complete trash since then. The game has had 0 sense of speed since back then and takes no skill to be good at.
    I doubt you ever played any of the Mario Kart games, except for maybe Toad's Pikeway on the N64, fuck that track.

    You also missed the point of Mario Kart, it was never about the sense of speed. Its more Hanna Barbera's Wacky Races than the actual show Hanna Barbera's Wacky Races but substitute the generic Hanna Barbera characters for Mario Bros (and later other Nintendo) characters.

    Mario Kart on SNES has way more a sense of speed than any of the iterations after that. I didn't "miss" anything. They just dumbed the game down big time and it's only gotten dumber. I have played the Wii U version 2x and both times I was beating most people who I was playing the game with, and they own the game. The game just isn't challenging and I don't like games that aren't challenging. If I'm playing a competitive game I want it to be a game that can be easy to get into but tough to master.

    I remember buying MK64 and having the full game completed and mastered within like a week. It was such a disappointment. It was way too easy, as are all of the newer ones.

    That said, they are still fun playing with 4 people in the same room as you. And it can't be played seriously, it's just a party game like Wii Play or Nintendoland.

    If you happen to somehow find mk8d for cheaper ( yes i know...its going to be like finding a unicorn for the first year or so if that) then please race with us and I hope one of us can change your mind on you finding it not challenging.

    LOL @ playing a Nintendo console online. I don't plan on taking my Switch online ever, and not a chance in hell I'm going to pay for their service when I have to use an app on my cell phone to communicate with other people.

    And I don't just mean challenging against the CPU, I mean against other people. Getting lightning in SMK was a treat to get, but now they hand that shit out like it's cookies. And instead of just 1 red shell, they give you 3 of them? They just completely dumbed the game down to make a it a party game, which is all that it is.

    That's a shame....and I knew what you meant in 'challenging' wasn't about the CPU. The paid online stuff won't be in effect until after E3 but it's fine I suppose.
  • SonichumanSonichuman You're too sloooww!! Joined: Posts: 18,251
    edited April 11
    Darksakul wrote: »
    purbeast wrote: »
    You could dodge red shells in SMK as well if you were good. I completely forgot about the blue shell ... what a stupid fucking weapon.

    Blue Shell isn't a issue if you are good.

    Only time Blue Shell can really seriously hinder you in a heated race is if it's on the last stretch and you get hit with it right near the finish line with people on your ass. Otherwise now there are ways to combat and or lessen the damage it does to your place especially if you're consistent.

    Now that I think about it...having 2 item boxes in MK8D is probably going to make this easier as you can probably more easily hoard a mushroom for first place.

  • NeoBloodNeoBlood kara bank account Joined: Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    You've got two items in the new version? That's cool but my main gripe with the items in 8 is there's too many and the rng on them is not tweaked correctly. All too often you get something that isn't very useful, and it ends up just being 2nd and 3rd fighting it out with each other.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 21,588
    Sonichuman wrote: »
    Darksakul wrote: »
    purbeast wrote: »
    You could dodge red shells in SMK as well if you were good. I completely forgot about the blue shell ... what a stupid fucking weapon.

    Blue Shell isn't a issue if you are good.

    Only time Blue Shell can really seriously hinder you in a heated race is if it's on the last stretch and you get hit with it right near the finish line with people on your ass. Otherwise now there are ways to combat and or lessen the damage it does to your place especially if you're consistent.

    Now that I think about it...having 2 item boxes in MK8D is probably going to make this easier as you can probably more easily hoard a mushroom for first place.

    If there people on my ass with a blue shell, I sometime slow down so they also get hit by the impact
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 20,560
    Hahahaha SMK isn't hard either what a laugh.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • SonichumanSonichuman You're too sloooww!! Joined: Posts: 18,251
    Darksakul wrote: »
    Sonichuman wrote: »
    Darksakul wrote: »
    purbeast wrote: »
    You could dodge red shells in SMK as well if you were good. I completely forgot about the blue shell ... what a stupid fucking weapon.

    Blue Shell isn't a issue if you are good.

    Only time Blue Shell can really seriously hinder you in a heated race is if it's on the last stretch and you get hit with it right near the finish line with people on your ass. Otherwise now there are ways to combat and or lessen the damage it does to your place especially if you're consistent.

    Now that I think about it...having 2 item boxes in MK8D is probably going to make this easier as you can probably more easily hoard a mushroom for first place.

    If there people on my ass with a blue shell, I sometime slow down so they also get hit by the impact

    Depends upon the situation really. If you have a pretty sizeable lead then it's better to take the blue shell if you don't have a way to avoid it and just try to right yourself before 2nd place takes advantage. Most of the time I don't even bother trying to slow down unless I feel for certain that I can get the blue shell to hit 2nd place since there's been times I've attempted that and it's backfired and I still ate it. Especially if it's against people who are aware of the situation and immediately notice that 1st place is slowing down for what seems to be no reason.


  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 23,972
    Hahahaha SMK isn't hard either what a laugh.

    The only challenge in SMK is the computer straight up cheating and learning that heavyweights run the show on 200cc.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • purbeastpurbeast Joined: Posts: 4,557
    Sonichuman wrote: »
    purbeast wrote: »
    Sonichuman wrote: »
    purbeast wrote: »
    Darksakul wrote: »
    purbeast wrote: »
    Prime has had the 20% off for amazon prime members for like over a year now. It's not exclusive to these Switch games, it's any new release.
    Thank you Sir Buzz Killington.
    And the last good Mario Kart game was the SNES one. It's been complete trash since then. The game has had 0 sense of speed since back then and takes no skill to be good at.
    I doubt you ever played any of the Mario Kart games, except for maybe Toad's Pikeway on the N64, fuck that track.

    You also missed the point of Mario Kart, it was never about the sense of speed. Its more Hanna Barbera's Wacky Races than the actual show Hanna Barbera's Wacky Races but substitute the generic Hanna Barbera characters for Mario Bros (and later other Nintendo) characters.

    Mario Kart on SNES has way more a sense of speed than any of the iterations after that. I didn't "miss" anything. They just dumbed the game down big time and it's only gotten dumber. I have played the Wii U version 2x and both times I was beating most people who I was playing the game with, and they own the game. The game just isn't challenging and I don't like games that aren't challenging. If I'm playing a competitive game I want it to be a game that can be easy to get into but tough to master.

    I remember buying MK64 and having the full game completed and mastered within like a week. It was such a disappointment. It was way too easy, as are all of the newer ones.

    That said, they are still fun playing with 4 people in the same room as you. And it can't be played seriously, it's just a party game like Wii Play or Nintendoland.

    If you happen to somehow find mk8d for cheaper ( yes i know...its going to be like finding a unicorn for the first year or so if that) then please race with us and I hope one of us can change your mind on you finding it not challenging.

    LOL @ playing a Nintendo console online. I don't plan on taking my Switch online ever, and not a chance in hell I'm going to pay for their service when I have to use an app on my cell phone to communicate with other people.

    And I don't just mean challenging against the CPU, I mean against other people. Getting lightning in SMK was a treat to get, but now they hand that shit out like it's cookies. And instead of just 1 red shell, they give you 3 of them? They just completely dumbed the game down to make a it a party game, which is all that it is.

    That's a shame....and I knew what you meant in 'challenging' wasn't about the CPU. The paid online stuff won't be in effect until after E3 but it's fine I suppose.

    Wouldn't matter because I'm not buying Mario Kart anyways on Switch. Again, I'm not interested in playing Wii U games on my Switch, other than Zelda. If I wanted to play Wii U games I would have bought a Wii U.
  • King9999King9999 Joined: Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Switch Friend Code: SW-2722-8799-3295
    PSN/Steam ID/NNID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
  • GespenstRitterGespenstRitter Soldier Without Purpose Joined: Posts: 3,063
    It's unfortunate that All-Stars Racing Transformed didn't become the new standard for kart racers, since it blows Mario Kart out of the water in every possible way.

    Faster speed. Better drifting and the ability to snake. Items that are significant but not dominating. Sky/Sea/Land transformations that actually change how the game plays. Characters that aren't Pink Gold Peach.
    Prove your justice to society.
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 23,972
    OK, Ges, we get it, you don't like Nintendo. So why are you in a Nintendo thread?

    At least purbeast actually owns the Nintendo products he criticizes...
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • GespenstRitterGespenstRitter Soldier Without Purpose Joined: Posts: 3,063
    Why are you in the Videogame General thread when you hate videogames? :coffee:
    Prove your justice to society.
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 23,972
    Why are you in the Videogame General thread when you hate videogames? :coffee:

    You know that's not true.



    I hate most games(since they're mostly remakes, or made by Ubisoft), not all of them.



    Ironically, outside of that Ninja Storm collection, this year has been fantastic for gaming.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • Mood4food77Mood4food77 Joined: Posts: 9,366
    po pimpus wrote: »
    Why are you in the Videogame General thread when you hate videogames? :coffee:

    I hate most games(since they're mostly remakes, or made by Ubisoft), not all of them.

    Coughplaydarksoulscough
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 21,588
    edited April 11
    It's unfortunate that All-Stars Racing Transformed didn't become the new standard for kart racers, since it blows Mario Kart out of the water in every possible way.

    Faster speed. Better drifting and the ability to snake. Items that are significant but not dominating. Sky/Sea/Land transformations that actually change how the game plays. Characters that aren't Pink Gold Peach.
    All-Stars Racing is garbage

    Speed and the ability to snake has nothing to do with it. All transformations are a gimmick anyways.
    It boils down to one thing, is the game is fun and compelling and you would want to play it again.

    Both serious hardcore and casuals players both tell you the game sucks if it gets boring.
    I have set down pro gamers, small children and non gamer adults to the same race in Mario Kart games and they all had fun.

    I can't speak the same for All-Stars Racing Trashformed

    po pimpus wrote: »
    Why are you in the Videogame General thread when you hate videogames? :coffee:

    I hate most games(since they're mostly remakes, or made by Ubisoft), not all of them.

    Coughplaydarksoulscough

    Make that your signature.
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • purbeastpurbeast Joined: Posts: 4,557
    edited April 11
    Pretty much ANY racing game that is multiplayer can be fun if you sit down in a room with 4 people and all play together. I just prefer my games to be challenging and as non-random as possible, which is one of the big draws to me about fighting games. When you lose, it's because the other person outplayed you and nothing other than that. It's not because of the AI, it's not because of random spawn points, it's not because of the random weapon you got, etc. It's just a preference I have with gaming.

    I can have fun with party games like every other MK game after SMK, but they just don't have any kind of lasting appeal because they are nothing more than party games and are only fun when played with other people in the same room.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 21,588
    purbeast wrote: »
    Pretty much ANY racing game that is multiplayer can be fun if you sit down in a room with 4 people and all play together. I just prefer my games to be challenging and as non-random as possible, which is one of the big draws to me about fighting games. When you lose, it's because the other person outplayed you and nothing other than that. It's not because of the AI, it's not because of random spawn points, it's not because of the random weapon you got, etc. It's just a preference I have with gaming.

    I can have fun with party games like every other MK game after SMK, but they just don't have any kind of lasting appeal because they are nothing more than party games and are only fun when played with other people in the same room.

    Then the whole go-kart sub genera and any racer with a combat mode or combat function is not for you.
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • GespenstRitterGespenstRitter Soldier Without Purpose Joined: Posts: 3,063
    edited April 11
    Darksakul wrote: »
    It's unfortunate that All-Stars Racing Transformed didn't become the new standard for kart racers, since it blows Mario Kart out of the water in every possible way.

    Faster speed. Better drifting and the ability to snake. Items that are significant but not dominating. Sky/Sea/Land transformations that actually change how the game plays. Characters that aren't Pink Gold Peach.
    All-Stars Racing is garbage

    Speed and the ability to snake has nothing to do with it. All transformations are a gimmick anyways.
    It boils down to one thing, is the game is fun and compelling and you would want to play it again.

    Both serious hardcore and casuals players both tell you the game sucks if it gets boring.
    I have set down pro gamers, small children and non gamer adults to the same race in Mario Kart games and they all had fun.

    I can't speak the same for All-Stars Racing Trashformed

    If you wanna talk about transforming being nothing more than a gimmick, look no further than Mario Kart, where gliding lasts all of five seconds per use and water sections are literally just like driving on land, but even slower than the game already is. You can take those out of Mario Kart entirely and almost nothing would change.

    Meanwhile, boats in ASRT evoke strong memories of Hydro Thunder with how they handle, and planes change the racing dynamic completely, shifting from an emphasis on drifting to one of last-second dodges for extra speed boosts. The different types of vehicles are built into the core of the experience, instead of just being a nice feature to put on screenshots.

    Whenever I sat down to play MK8, it just made me wish I was playing All-Stars Racing Transformed.
    Prove your justice to society.
  • Mood4food77Mood4food77 Joined: Posts: 9,366
    Darksakul wrote: »
    It's unfortunate that All-Stars Racing Transformed didn't become the new standard for kart racers, since it blows Mario Kart out of the water in every possible way.

    Faster speed. Better drifting and the ability to snake. Items that are significant but not dominating. Sky/Sea/Land transformations that actually change how the game plays. Characters that aren't Pink Gold Peach.
    All-Stars Racing is garbage

    Speed and the ability to snake has nothing to do with it. All transformations are a gimmick anyways.
    It boils down to one thing, is the game is fun and compelling and you would want to play it again.

    Both serious hardcore and casuals players both tell you the game sucks if it gets boring.
    I have set down pro gamers, small children and non gamer adults to the same race in Mario Kart games and they all had fun.

    I can't speak the same for All-Stars Racing Trashformed

    If you wanna talk about transforming being nothing more than a gimmick, look no further than Mario Kart, where gliding lasts all of five seconds per use and water seconds are literally just like driving on land, but even slower than the game already is. You can take those out of Mario Kart entirely and almost nothing would change.

    Meanwhile, boats in ASRT evoke strong memories of Hydro Thunder with how they handle, and planes change the racing dynamic completely, shifting from an emphasis on drifting to one of last-second dodges for extra speed boosts. The different types of vehicles are built into the core of the experience, instead of just being a nice feature to put on screenshots.

    Whenever I sat down to play MK8, it just made me wish I was playing All-Stars Racing Transformed.

    You hate nintendo so no wonder :coffee:
  • FemtoFemto Joined: Posts: 4,397
    All-Star Racing Transformed is better than the Mario Karts, but that doesn't mean I can't have fun with it. I wish ASRT on consoles was as solid as awesome as the PC version, though....
    "Racism died in the 80's and 90's. Period." - ParryAll 11/10/2016
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/146396/the-current-state-of-the-world-and-us-updated-first-post/p237

    "I was walking home and decided to not get shot at by a Muslim by not interfering and if people want to keep enriching the US with diversity then that's their decision. Also, she was already getting raped. Me interfering would have most likely resulted in the Muslim dude getting killed and then the media picking it up as a hate crime. I just kept walking and I think I made the right choice." - ElderGod http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/208447/the-american-government-thread-youre-fired-no-really-gtfo/p424
  • GespenstRitterGespenstRitter Soldier Without Purpose Joined: Posts: 3,063
    edited April 11
    You hate nintendo so no wonder :coffee:

    I respect their second-party studios.
    Prove your justice to society.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 21,588
    Darksakul wrote: »
    It's unfortunate that All-Stars Racing Transformed didn't become the new standard for kart racers, since it blows Mario Kart out of the water in every possible way.

    Faster speed. Better drifting and the ability to snake. Items that are significant but not dominating. Sky/Sea/Land transformations that actually change how the game plays. Characters that aren't Pink Gold Peach.
    All-Stars Racing is garbage

    Speed and the ability to snake has nothing to do with it. All transformations are a gimmick anyways.
    It boils down to one thing, is the game is fun and compelling and you would want to play it again.

    Both serious hardcore and casuals players both tell you the game sucks if it gets boring.
    I have set down pro gamers, small children and non gamer adults to the same race in Mario Kart games and they all had fun.

    I can't speak the same for All-Stars Racing Trashformed

    If you wanna talk about transforming being nothing more than a gimmick, look no further than Mario Kart, where gliding lasts all of five seconds per use and water seconds are literally just like driving on land, but even slower than the game already is. You can take those out of Mario Kart entirely and almost nothing would change.

    Meanwhile, boats in ASRT evoke strong memories of Hydro Thunder with how they handle, and planes change the racing dynamic completely, shifting from an emphasis on drifting to one of last-second dodges for extra speed boosts. The different types of vehicles are built into the core of the experience, instead of just being a nice feature to put on screenshots.

    Whenever I sat down to play MK8, it just made me wish I was playing All-Stars Racing Transformed.

    Cool story bro :coffee:
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • AbbachioAbbachio NOBLEST BRAIN Joined: Posts: 1,722
    SASRT beats MK in content, such as the career mode which is awesome, but MK8 feels better to me when it comes to the actual racing.

    Both are great games, though.
    {]UNiEL: Gordeau/Eltnum/Yuzuhira[}
    {]JoJo's: Jotaro/Hol/PolPol[} - {]KI: Jagi[}

    XBL: Mortum Kujo - PSN: Mortum_Kujo - NID: Mortum - Steam: http://tinyurl.com/jzdeks7

    Currently Playing: Nioh, Lost Odyssey, Yakuza 3, Rare Replay
  • purbeastpurbeast Joined: Posts: 4,557
    Darksakul wrote: »
    purbeast wrote: »
    Pretty much ANY racing game that is multiplayer can be fun if you sit down in a room with 4 people and all play together. I just prefer my games to be challenging and as non-random as possible, which is one of the big draws to me about fighting games. When you lose, it's because the other person outplayed you and nothing other than that. It's not because of the AI, it's not because of random spawn points, it's not because of the random weapon you got, etc. It's just a preference I have with gaming.

    I can have fun with party games like every other MK game after SMK, but they just don't have any kind of lasting appeal because they are nothing more than party games and are only fun when played with other people in the same room.

    Then the whole go-kart sub genera and any racer with a combat mode or combat function is not for you.

    Thanks Dad.
  • SonichumanSonichuman You're too sloooww!! Joined: Posts: 18,251
    Mr Shifty seems as interesting as I thought it would be. GameXplain put up some gameplay footage
  • spudlyff8fanspudlyff8fan is love. Joined: Posts: 7,074
    purbeast wrote: »
    Pretty much ANY racing game that is multiplayer can be fun if you sit down in a room with 4 people and all play together. I just prefer my games to be challenging and as non-random as possible, which is one of the big draws to me about fighting games. When you lose, it's because the other person outplayed you and nothing other than that. It's not because of the AI, it's not because of random spawn points, it's not because of the random weapon you got, etc. It's just a preference I have with gaming.

    I can have fun with party games like every other MK game after SMK, but they just don't have any kind of lasting appeal because they are nothing more than party games and are only fun when played with other people in the same room.

    1) I don't really like Mario Kart
    2) What's so bad about random?
  • Captain RyuCaptain Ryu Scoot Magee Joined: Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Pro controller doesn't work with Snipperclips :(
    CFN ScootMagee
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 23,972
    OK SRK fam, who's with me to enter this Splatoon tournament and win a trip to E3?

    Battlefy.net
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • Geese PantsGeese Pants Working on it.......... Joined: Posts: 20,664 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Payday 2 coming to Switch.........that's random to me.
    Gotta see how it play on that system.
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

    "Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske
  • Kinniku BusterKinniku Buster FLY Joined: Posts: 8,613

    Peace to the Mountain
    Amiibo Aficionado

    Negro Install

    The sky's fallin', baby, drop that ass 'fore it crash.



  • purbeastpurbeast Joined: Posts: 4,557
    That SHMUP looks pretty damn awesome. Other than that, the next game I still plan on getting is the new Mario game.
  • NeoBloodNeoBlood kara bank account Joined: Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    po pimpus wrote: »
    OK SRK fam, who's with me to enter this Splatoon tournament and win a trip to E3?

    Battlefy.net

    I'm down.
  • Kinniku BusterKinniku Buster FLY Joined: Posts: 8,613
    splatoon 2 amiibos are up for preorder at bestbuy.
    Peace to the Mountain
    Amiibo Aficionado

    Negro Install

    The sky's fallin', baby, drop that ass 'fore it crash.



  • MaryokutaiMaryokutai Joined: Posts: 913
    I
    purbeast wrote: »
    That SHMUP looks pretty damn awesome. Other than that, the next game I still plan on getting is the new Mario game.

    'That shmup'? Sine Mora has been out for various platforms for ages, surprised someone interested in these games could have missed it.

    In any case you're in for a treat, it's an excellent game that somehow manages to be a great entry point for newcomers in story mode, totally hardcore in arcade mode and it even tells an intelligent and depressingly dark and mature story in between chapters. And that's before I get to mention the fantastic art-direction and the brilliant score from Yamaoka (Silent Hill, Shadows of the Damned).

    It's actually so good I bought it three times already (360, Vita, PC) and I'm considering getting it for Switch as well.
  • purbeastpurbeast Joined: Posts: 4,557
    Maryokutai wrote: »
    I
    purbeast wrote: »
    That SHMUP looks pretty damn awesome. Other than that, the next game I still plan on getting is the new Mario game.

    'That shmup'? Sine Mora has been out for various platforms for ages, surprised someone interested in these games could have missed it.

    In any case you're in for a treat, it's an excellent game that somehow manages to be a great entry point for newcomers in story mode, totally hardcore in arcade mode and it even tells an intelligent and depressingly dark and mature story in between chapters. And that's before I get to mention the fantastic art-direction and the brilliant score from Yamaoka (Silent Hill, Shadows of the Damned).

    It's actually so good I bought it three times already (360, Vita, PC) and I'm considering getting it for Switch as well.

    Well I don't game on PC and sold the Vita I won from Taco Bell before ever opening it and never heard of it on 360. Considering there is nothing else on Switch coming out that I care about it's nice to see some random indie/arcade games that look interesting.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 21,588
    New accessories for the Switch
    Neon Yellow Joycons and Joycon Wrist Straps
    Joycon Battery pack from Nintendo (not like they really need them).

    And the Switch dock is going to be sold as a standalone accessory

    https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/12/nintendo-reveals-joy-con-battery-grips-and-new-color-standalone-switch-dock/
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • MillionMillion King of Creeps Joined: Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Y'know, depending on the design I'd go for extra joycons... sheeeeit, if there was an "Original NES" design version or a "SNES style" set of joycons that looked good enough, I'd be all over that immediately. Why not go wild and throw out several color/style variants?

    *Ooooh and a "Original Gamecube Style" version---yeah I'd go for that too.

    Sadly, I got the plain-jane grey ones.

    Meanwhile, in ZELDA-- finally, I am done with the Vah Ruta divine beast segment...there's a cool boss fight at the end of that.
  • JGreenJGreen Joined: Posts: 1,648
    Any recommendations on a good case?
  • purbeastpurbeast Joined: Posts: 4,557
    JGreen wrote: »
    Any recommendations on a good case?

    I got this one and took it with me when I went to Aruba and it handled the trip just fine. I only used it on the plane but it was packed in my bookbag with a buncha other shit. It's pretty sturdy.

    https://www.amazon.com/Tough-Pouch-Nintendo-Switch-Officially-Licensed/dp/B01MR63I6F/ref=sr_1_11?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1492130514&sr=1-11&keywords=switch+case

    It was $17 when I got it, directly from amazon. Think they may just be sold out right now.
  • King9999King9999 Joined: Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited April 14
    I have the store-brand EB Games case: https://www.ebgames.ca/Switch/Games/727245/biogenik-travel-case-for-nintendo-switch

    It's decent. It's got pockets for carrying game cards and a mesh pocket for carrying accessories. The screen is protected while the case is closed so that anything resting inside the mesh pocket doesn't come in direct contact with the screen. The case has straps to prevent the Switch from moving around while inside.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-2722-8799-3295
    PSN/Steam ID/NNID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 21,588
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."