The Nintendo Switch Thread! - Welcome to New Donk City!

Comments

• DavidstarDavidstar KILLA KUEEN! Joined: Posts: 5,038
    edited April 14
    anyone try hd rumble yet?
    i'm dying to try it out but i don't feel like buying a game just to test it.
    also tried the puyo tetris demo with a friend super fun might grab that day one.
    Post edited by Davidstar on
    Did you see that Zack? Clear as a crisp spring morning... FK....in the signature. I knew i could count on it. It never fails
  • MaryokutaiMaryokutai Joined: Posts: 942
    I'm counting on PuyoxTetris to be fun in multiplayer because I can't beat the CPU for the life of me.
  • JGreenJGreen Joined: Posts: 1,656
    Thanks for the case recs guys. Going to pick one up this weekend.
  • MillionMillion King of Creeps Joined: Posts: 10,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I got some cheap ass case from Gamestop... only because it was the only one available at the time and I had to get *something*...

hahah there it is... observe the ugliness http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-switch/accessories/nintendo-switch-premium-console-case-mario-edition/140260

It does the job of at least being a step up from the grocery store bags I was using previously.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,434
    Davidstar wrote: »
    also tried the puyo tetris demo with a friend super fun might grab that day one.
    Wait, Davidstar admitting to liking something Japanese?

Who the fuck you are, and what did you do to our Davidstar?
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • Rhio2kRhio2k Senior Member Joined: Posts: 11,459 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Darksakul wrote: »

...looks like the Pod People are making their move...
    Roger: Well, Anita's pregnant, and-
    Cruella: Well, what can I say? Accidents will happen.
    Roger: We're having puppies, too.
    Cruella: *Gasp* Puppies!? *Leer* My, you have been a busy boy!
    edited April 15

where you been? pretty much 95% of what i play is japanese.
    you should be more surprised when i play some american games.

loved puyo puyo since mean bean machine on sega
    Did you see that Zack? Clear as a crisp spring morning... FK....in the signature. I knew i could count on it. It never fails
  • LiangHuBBBLiangHuBBB Joined: Posts: 2,107
    actually hyped for MK8, I guess I will beat Zelda until then
    www.youtube.com/user/LiangHuBBB
  • SonichumanSonichuman You're too sloooww!! Joined: Posts: 18,600
    GameXplain put up some vids for MK8

Renegade Roundup

This game seems to be in the renegade's favor but i'm sure if one person stuck around the cage it'd probably be a bit easier.

Shine Thief
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

Menu options

I thought they had removed MKTV but it's there on the main menu screen which is great!
    Firehopping may have gotten nerfed in Deluxe
  • T20thoughtsT20thoughts Shurororororo! Joined: Posts: 1,587
    Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap is pretty wonderful. Gorgeous graphics and music over still-solid gameplay. The ability to switch back and forth between old and new graphics is great, and the additions they put into the script are neat.

It IS still a game from 1989, though. Warts and all. Go the wrong way or fail at a boss, you will get mauled and you will be out of lives and those lives don't come free and you're all the way back at the village with no lives (but thankfully with all the coin you picked up, and equipment intact).
    I feel many games from 1989 are often better designed than those today.
  • chadouken!chadouken! less < more Joined: Posts: 4,947
    I feel many games from 1989 are often better designed than those today.

I mean, SMB3.
    I'm a grown fucking man, if I wanna smoke a crack pipe on a friend's birthday, I wanna smoke a crack pipe.
    -ArtVandelay, 2017
    Listening to the Q&A for MK8D from GameXplain and right now there's no way to share videos through Mario Kart TV You can still save videos but you can't share them

disappointment. I'm guessing we're waiting for the video functionality to get put into the firmware.
  • Kinniku BusterKinniku Buster KIMO! KIMO! KIMO! Joined: Posts: 8,934
    has there been any word on netplay for ARMS? That's pretty much the deciding factor on me getting it.
    Peace to the Mountain
    Amiibo Aficionado

Negro Install

The sky's fallin', baby, drop that ass 'fore it crash.

Currently Playing - Splatoon 2 (Switch), Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection (PS4)
    Currently Reading - Rick and Morty (Onipress), Usagi Yojimbo (Dark Horse)
    Currently Watching (Animated) - Star vs. The Forces of Evil, We Bare Bears
    Currently Watching (Live Action) - GLOW

edited April 20
    has there been any word on netplay for ARMS? That's pretty much the deciding factor on me getting it.

Judging by my searches it seems that Arms will have online multiplayer
    http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/arms-switch

It's mentioned on the Arms page online play will be free until fall

They supposedly mentioned it during the Switch presentation...looking into that now.

Edit:
    yeah they did mention it as sort of an aside. Didn't go into detail for what modes or anything

mentioned at about 2:38
  • Kinniku BusterKinniku Buster KIMO! KIMO! KIMO! Joined: Posts: 8,934
    Nice. I'll probably pick it up then. Arms looks super fun
    Peace to the Mountain
    Amiibo Aficionado

Negro Install

The sky's fallin', baby, drop that ass 'fore it crash.

Currently Playing - Splatoon 2 (Switch), Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection (PS4)
    Currently Reading - Rick and Morty (Onipress), Usagi Yojimbo (Dark Horse)
    Currently Watching (Animated) - Star vs. The Forces of Evil, We Bare Bears
    Currently Watching (Live Action) - GLOW

I've been looking into this whole warping/bending fiasko of the main unit and unfortunately had to find out that my Switch is very, very slightly warped. I've used it almost exclusively as a handheld (maybe two hours in dock mode) so it's definitely not limited to the extra heat produced when docked. Not really sure what to do know. I'm going to take a few pictures for starters and maybe compare in a month or so but after that I'm not sure. Won't be playing Zelda anytime soon though with the risk of losing my saves in case the console has to be replaced.
    edited April 20
    Maryokutai wrote: »
    I've been looking into this whole warping/bending fiasko of the main unit and unfortunately had to find out that my Switch is very, very slightly warped. I've used it almost exclusively as a handheld (maybe two hours in dock mode) so it's definitely not limited to the extra heat produced when docked. Not really sure what to do know. I'm going to take a few pictures for starters and maybe compare in a month or so but after that I'm not sure. Won't be playing Zelda anytime soon though with the risk of losing my saves in case the console has to be replaced.

Supposedlt if you have to send your system in for repairs nintendo somehow has access to cloud saves that we dont have access too. There was a neogaf thread about it. Ill see if i can find it.

Edit:

Here is one
    http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1356426

Not the one im looking for but it seems they can move your stuff somehow. Perhaps ita something that they are working on thats part of an update?
    Sonichuman wrote: »

Supposedlt if you have to send your system in for repairs nintendo somehow has access to cloud saves that we dont have access too. There was a neogaf thread about it. Ill see if i can find it.

Edit:

Here is one

Not the one im looking for but it seems they can move your stuff somehow. Perhaps ita something that they are working on thats part of an update?

Thanks, that's really good to know. If it stays like this I doubt I'll do anything but if it gets worse I'm definitely going to contact support.
    chadouken! wrote: »
    So there's going to be a mini Switch coming out in 2019 that's supposedly a smaller, dedicated portable-only version? What does THAT mean for the 3DS?

Well technically Switch is both the successor to 3DS and WiiU. Nintendo only labels it as their next home console because 3DS is still doing fine and they don't want to forcefully sent it into retirement earlier than they have to. I doubt we'll see any first party release for 3DS in 2018 though, it's all going to be Switch and the occasional mobile title from next year onward.
    Holy shit! The feather is back in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe! That's reason enough right there to grab a Switch. We haven't had the feather since the original Super Mario Kart.
    I'm a grown fucking man, if I wanna smoke a crack pipe on a friend's birthday, I wanna smoke a crack pipe.
    -ArtVandelay, 2017
    edited April 20
    Holy shit! The feather is back in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe! That's reason enough right there to grab a Switch. We haven't had the feather since the original Super Mario Kart.

Feather is only usable in battle mode. Would be nice if you could use it as a means to dodge red shells like in the original. Set it up so that you jump and it goes past you and goes after the next place maybe?

Edit: Just had a flashback memory of launching a redshell at one of the cpu karters in SMK and the asshole jumped it 3 times before the red shell finally killed itself. SMH

Feather is only usable in battle mode.
    That's fucking stupid ;(
    -ArtVandelay, 2017
    So there's going to be a mini Switch coming out in 2019 that's supposedly a smaller, dedicated portable-only version? What does THAT mean for the 3DS?

Not an attack on you but the idea of a Mini Switch sounds so stupid it hurts my head.
    I feel many of the games are intended for the TV, so on the tablet screen it's big enough to see but I have problems seeing finer details.
    I know I am "Old" but I am not that old, my vision is still perfect. Making that screen "Smaller" is just going to get eye strain.

Not an attack on you but the idea of a Mini Switch sounds so stupid it hurts my head.
    I feel many of the games are intended for the TV, so on the tablet screen it's big enough to see but I have problems seeing finer details.
    I know I am "Old" but I am not that old, my vision is still perfect. Making that screen "Smaller" is just going to get eye strain.

I read that the target customer is children who have a difficult time with the large size of the Switch. But I'm with you, when I get a Switch it's going to be primarily played as a console sitting on my couch. I have a N3DS and I hardly touch it because I just don't have time to fuck with video games outside of my home. (But when I'm home, I play the fuck out them!)
    -ArtVandelay, 2017
    Mini-Switch makes sense if they want to target a younger demographic with it. Make one sturdy unit with built-in joycons that can't be removed, slim it down a bit and make the screen smaller so that you're more or less in Vita territory and maybe they can sell it for 199. Meaning you just have a futuristic GBA.

It'd still work with everything as you could pair 'normal' Joycons via Bluetooth and such. Not saying I'd buy it but I could see something like that have success.

Edit:

Here is one

Thanks, that's really good to know. If it stays like this I doubt I'll do anything but if it gets worse I'm definitely going to contact support.

Well technically Switch is both the successor to 3DS and WiiU. Nintendo only labels it as their next home console because 3DS is still doing fine and they don't want to forcefully sent it into retirement earlier than they have to. I doubt we'll see any first party release for 3DS in 2018 though, it's all going to be Switch and the occasional mobile title from next year onward.

They still have a few 3rd party games that really need to get localized IMO (One Piece fighter, One Piece vs DBZ EB, Monster Hunter XX)...I doubt those companies will pass on that extra money even if N declared the 3ds dead right now.
    Yeah, I'd also love to see the Radiant Historia port/remake see a translation since that game got criminally overlooked on DS and is one of the finest JRPGs in years. Still, 3DS came out six years ago, at some point consumers are going to lose interest. Nintendo needs to find the sweet spot between supporting a fan favourite machine and making the move to the new platform. I'm okay with it either way.
    Yeah, I'd also love to see the Radiant Historia port/remake see a translation since that game got criminally overlooked on DS and is one of the finest JRPGs in years. Still, 3DS came out six years ago, at some point consumers are going to lose interest. Nintendo needs to find the sweet spot between supporting a fan favourite machine and making the move to the new platform. I'm okay with it either way.

Honestly, Nintendo needs to stop building on gimmicks, moving on too soon. Just make a solid device (with durable, heat resistant plastic) that can run your games, get that 3rd party support, and ride that shit out for 10 or so years before upgrading and moving on like the other companies. Nintendo is artificially accelerating the obsolescence of the 3ds cuz the 3rd parties are always going to immediately shift software development to a new console, cuz that's where the bigger money is.
  • Swedish ChefSwedish Chef Cream of the Crop! Joined: Posts: 8,540
    Rhio2k wrote: »

Honestly, Nintendo needs to stop building on gimmicks, moving on too soon. Just make a solid device (with durable, heat resistant plastic) that can run your games, get that 3rd party support, and ride that shit out for 10 or so years before upgrading and moving on like the other companies. Nintendo is artificially accelerating the obsolescence of the 3ds cuz the 3rd parties are always going to immediately shift software development to a new console, cuz that's where the bigger money is.
    Thing is in their minds that means they have to directly compete with other platforms and their previous forays in competing with conventional consoles were unsuccessful in comparison (GameCube vs PS2/Xbox, N64 vs PS1).

In addition with the exception of the Virtual Boy and to a lesser extent the Wii-U all of their systems marketed around gimmicks have been wildly successful (the DS, Wii and 3DS sold gangbusters and the Switch's launch numbers have been breaking Nintendo's old records). You also have to consider the culture of the Japanese video game industry, (which Nintendo is deeply rooted in) where having a "gimmick" isn't considered a bad thing and is in fact something companies actually push for their titles.

TLDR: As long as they continue to pump out cash and the ideals of people higher up in the company stay the same, Nintendo isn't changing any time soon.
    TAKING YOU PUNKS DOWN!!!
    ^Bubbleberry_VII you are so godlike for making this.
    So far the only demographic Nintendo been aiming at with it's marketing is the Millennial crowd.
    Kinda sad as I am slightly past that age group, I am also the age group that grew up with the NES.

I think the whole reason Nintendo haven't aimed marketing at children yet is because teens and preteens don't want their own Kiddie device,
    they want to use the device the Adults are using.

I was originally adamantly apposed to a Switch Mini, looking at it now I can see how a Switch Mini can work (like the 2DS did for the 3DS line).

They cut down on the size, make the controls non-removable, and find a way to cut back on the heat output.
    Maybe give it a real d-pad since the "joycons" are non-removable. I would also make a smaller dock

CMuJD1q.jpg
    Concept for a Mini Dock based on a mod for the existing Switch dock.

switchmini_2.jpg
    Fan-made Concept for the Switch Mini compared to a Vita
  • VynceVynce Hater. Joined: Posts: 14,655
    The millennial generation is so weird, @Darksakul. I got an NES when I was 5, but I'm lumped with people that don't remember life without the Internet, and live at home forever.
    "My name is Pertho and I like whoopi goldbergs tits."-Pertho
    Actually I did get one of those Mini Dock stands, there room to fit the dock electronics inside.
    Only problem is I need to get a Tri-wing screw driver. Blarg, a screw driver I am going only use a few times ever.

Till end I sand this thing out, as the 3D printing on this thing is rough.
  • purbeastpurbeast Joined: Posts: 4,677
    Finally got around to installing my dock sock.

hxUQBwc.jpg

Fit pretty snug and the Switch definitely slides snugger on it, but it's against a micro fiber fabric so it should be good. I didn't notice any extra heat or anything either.
    I dunno. I'm definitely more worried about overheating and warping than screen scratches. I stuck a glass screen protector on mine, and couldn't be happier.

I AM still very careful when I slide it into the dock, though.
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,664
    Axiom Verge will get a retail release on the Switch
    http://www.siliconera.com/2017/04/24/digital-physical-copies-axiom-verge/
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    kenuran wrote: »
    the retail versions for PS4, PS Vita, and the Wii U to shelves.[/url]
    A Wii U version? HA HA HA.
    Could be a nice collector's item.
    edited April 27
    Apparently I have the willpower of a 5-year-old as I bought Mario Kart yesterday. I guess it's cool to have it on the go, especially as it looks fantastic on the small screen. There's a nice little manual built in the game that explains driving techniques, items and the battle mode but everything else seems just like I remember it from WiiU.

Steering assist is turned on by default by the way, so make sure to turn that off right away.

Edit: Sorry for the double, didn't pay attention.
    played a bit of puyo puyo tetris. reaaally fun game.
    online seems really smooth on the switch.
    anyone else get it?
  • King9999King9999 Joined: Posts: 10,871 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I got Puyo Puyo Tetris but I haven't played much. Fell asleep. Looking forward to playing it more.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-2722-8799-3295
    PSN/Steam ID/NNID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
    Since I beat Zelda I haven't played Switch much at all. I thought I'd play GEM more than I have. It's fun but I dunno I didn't get sucked into it like I thought I would like I did with Geometry Wars or Resogun. It has the same feeling but something feels missing. It's also a lot harder than I expected lol.
  • NecrotrophicNecrotrophic Isn't a communist. Joined: Posts: 5,874
    purbeast wrote: »
    Since I beat Zelda I haven't played Switch much at all. I thought I'd play GEM more than I have. It's fun but I dunno I didn't get sucked into it like I thought I would like I did with Geometry Wars or Resogun. It has the same feeling but something feels missing. It's also a lot harder than I expected lol.

same. I never play gem. it got kinda repetitive very quickly.
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
    purbeast wrote: »

same. I never play gem. it got kinda repetitive very quickly.

So do those other games but they were still fun to the point that I would keep coming back to them.
    I got a little warp scare when I pulled my Switch up from a long darn Zelda session (I swear it had me for like five-six hours). But, well, the device itself doesn't seem affected... I'm just noticing something that looks like the glue's starting to come off the very top edge of the (glass) screen protector. I'm thinking the heat started loosening the thing.

It's still far from the actual screen area, so not something I'm too concerned about. But the Switch definitely has some challenges to overcome with the amount of heat it produces in the dock.
    Sooo it looks like the the Squid Sisters have grown apart since Splatoon 1
    http://splatoon.nintendo.com/squid-sisters-stories/#introduction
  • NecrotrophicNecrotrophic Isn't a communist. Joined: Posts: 5,874
    hows the online with mario kart
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro