The Nintendo Switch Thread! - Welcome to New Donk City!

Comments

• MaryokutaiMaryokutai Joined: Posts: 942
    edited June 22
    I mean this:

Also I just realized by googling this video that it affects the games, too, not only the system menu. Last time I've seen this was on GBC.

I have to try Thumper like this.
  • Swedish ChefSwedish Chef Cream of the Crop! Joined: Posts: 8,482
    edited June 22
    I wonder how successful this game will go. And what new characters would you all want to see if in DLC or sequel?
    I think it'll do okay enough. I don't see it being a huge, breakout new IP success for Nintendo like Splatoon was though.
    Welp looks like it's time for me to eat shit.

ARMS is selling far better than I expected in Japan. Over 122k copies sold so far in it's first few days (via Famitsu stats which includes download cards).
    To put this into perspective that's more than SFV's and Tekken 7's first week sales combined. And the best opening week sales for a fighter since Tekken 6 and Vanilla SF4, which were on two consoles at launch.

It's not quite the blowup success that Splatoon was (~150k on first week) but it ain't far off. It should also be noted that Nintendo has a stranglehold in Japan right now, dominating the charts in both software and hardware sales.

Still waiting to see how it does in the west however.
    TAKING YOU PUNKS DOWN!!!
    ^Bubbleberry_VII you are so godlike for making this.
  • chadouken!chadouken! less < more Joined: Posts: 4,850
    Maryokutai wrote: »
    I mean this:

Also I just realized by googling this video that it affects the games, too, not only the system menu. Last time I've seen this was on GBC.

That's crazy! It's got to be pretty confusing to tell what type of shell you get, lol.
    I'm a grown fucking man, if I wanna smoke a crack pipe on a friend's birthday, I wanna smoke a crack pipe.
    -ArtVandelay, 2017
    edited June 23
    I mean this:

[INSERT OBLIGATORY MARIO MUSHROOM JOKE HERE]
    TAKING YOU PUNKS DOWN!!!
  • JGreenJGreen Joined: Posts: 1,654
    Any of you pick up Shantae Half Genie? Is it any good? I was looking for a new game to pick up for the Switch and I remember hearing about it. Okay, well, I was actually looking for a Metroid style 2d game, but I don't think any are out on the Switch.
    Shantae is a Metroid style 2D game. Shantae herself handles more like a Castlevania character but in the end it's based on Metroid design.

It's also pretty good but they'll be releasing a bunch of DLC during the coming months so it might be a good idea to wait until the physical release is out as that might have them included. You could always play the game that came before (Pirate's Curse) in the meantime which is the best in the series so far in my opinion.
  • ReggieHadokenReggieHadoken Power Up Joined: Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    You know that super happy, catchy song from Super Mario Odyssey "Jump Up, Super Star!"? Bulby did an 8-bit version of it.

• crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 20,817
    JGreen wrote: »
    Any of you pick up Shantae Half Genie? Is it any good? I was looking for a new game to pick up for the Switch and I remember hearing about it. Okay, well, I was actually looking for a Metroid style 2d game, but I don't think any are out on the Switch.
    I have this for my Vita. It's great. Lot of fun, has good maps to explore, controls well, music is great, and graphics are very charming. Hope the DLC comes to Vita, might have to rebuy the game for PS4 lol.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • Plaid_UnicornPlaid_Unicorn Camron should have won an Oscar for Paid in Full Joined: Posts: 9,820
    Really interested in shantae... but think I'll wait for a physical copy
    Just because I lost... doesn't mean I was defeated
    "Say it loud... I main Rog and I'm proud!!!!" - Plaid Unicorn
    "I'll be honest, I don't know why you hang out in Nintendo threads. You seem to hate everything they do." - Po Pimpus
  • Plaid_UnicornPlaid_Unicorn Camron should have won an Oscar for Paid in Full Joined: Posts: 9,820
    edited June 27
    Really interested in shantae... but think I'll wait for a physical copy

wrong thread
    "I'll be honest, I don't know why you hang out in Nintendo threads. You seem to hate everything they do." - Po Pimpus
    Hm? The physical copy is already available for other platforms, so you might be in the right thread after all. Switch will get the physical release sometime during fall/winter.
    Hm? The physical copy is already available for other platforms, so you might be in the right thread after all. Switch will get the physical release sometime during fall/winter.

Naw I replied with a basketball post. Shantae looks dope though. I know it got great reviews.
  • WellmanWellman Joined: Posts: 3,883

Naw I replied with a basketball post. Shantae looks dope though. I know it got great reviews.

Yeah, all the Shantae games are very good, if you like platform games and Metriodvania style exploration (but to a lesser degree then the 2D post SotN Castlevania games or most indies in that genre) then it is perfect.

You have been weighed.
    You have been measured.
    And you have absolutely...
    Been found wanting.
    Welcome to the New World. God save you, if it is right that he should do so.
    - A Knight's Tale
  • InfernomanInfernoman Bro as Hell Joined: Posts: 9,147
    bought and play ARMS now...I like the game but needs so much more for it so I look forward to the updates. My only issue is I really wish they let you change the controls for the buttons. A small thing but I wish the dash and jump were on the ZL and ZR buttons.
    Who else in a movie wrestled an evil lesbian and by forcefully kissing her, turned her not only heterosexual but good as well? Exactly. That, my friend, is the power of Sean motherfucking Connery - Valaris
  • IdunoIduno ...what to put here Joined: Posts: 5,015
    Nice what setup are you running atm arms and character wise?
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
    -Stephen Fry

"I know crackheads that could sneak into a house better than an 8th century shinobi."
    -Jimmy1200
    Iduno wrote: »
    Nice what setup are you running atm arms and character wise?

I just started last night. Still figuring out what I like. Haven't picked a specific
    Who else in a movie wrestled an evil lesbian and by forcefully kissing her, turned her not only heterosexual but good as well? Exactly. That, my friend, is the power of Sean motherfucking Connery - Valaris
  • jopamojopamo Stuck in Silly-con Valley Joined: Posts: 907
    edited July 3
    http://kotaku.com/a-good-way-to-play-the-nintendo-switch-1796500620
    Watching that joystick in action made me cringe. Someone get that guy some decent parts.
    Post edited by jopamo on
  • Kinniku BusterKinniku Buster KIMO! KIMO! KIMO! Joined: Posts: 8,794
    edited July 3
    Linking kotaku. Gross.

Anyways.

nintendo is having a splatoon 2 direct the morning of the 6th. 7am PST, 10am EST.

DD0M1IXWAAATwh0.jpg:large
    Post edited by Kinniku Buster on
    Peace to the Mountain
    Amiibo Aficionado

Negro Install

The sky's fallin', baby, drop that ass 'fore it crash.

Currently Playing - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch), Splatoon 2 (Switch)
    Currently Reading - Rick and Morty (Onipress)
    Currently Watching (Animated) - Star vs. The Forces of Evil, We Bare Bears
    Currently Watching (Live Action) - GLOW

• Captain RyuCaptain Ryu Scoot Magee Joined: Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    jopamo wrote: »
    http://kotaku.com/a-good-way-to-play-the-nintendo-switch-1796500620
    Watching that joystick in action made me cringe. Someone get that guy some decent parts.

Seriously. People always have these cool projects but then put some absurd button layout or use terrible quality parts.
    CFN ScootMagee
  • SonichumanSonichuman You're too sloooww!! Joined: Posts: 18,419
    edited July 4
    Dunno if its been mentioned but since the switch now works with wired controllers. You supposedly can buy that pokken gamepad to use for some games. May make a decent cheaper substitute for playing any neo geo fighting games or ultra sf 2.
    Post edited by Sonichuman on
    Was messing with my news feed on the Switch and realized that there's a Developer Diary for Super Mario Odyssey from E3 that NoA neglected to put up on youtube

• spudlyff8fanspudlyff8fan is love. Joined: Posts: 7,082
    Sonichuman wrote: »
    Dunno if its been mentioned but since the switch now works with wired controllers. You supposedly can buy that pokken gamepad to use for some games. May make a decent cheaper substitute for playing any neo geo fighting games or ultra sf 2.

What controllers are you referencing?

What controllers are you referencing?
    http://m.gamestop.com/product/wii-u/accessories/wii-u-pokken-tournament-pro-pad/127725
    New fire Emblem Warriors trailer
    Peace to the Mountain
    Amiibo Aficionado

Negro Install

• po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 24,483
    edited July 6
    UGH...

Frederick? Fucking LISSA?!? Not just Lissa, but LISSA WITH A FUCKING AXE! HECTOR IS RIGHT THERE!

I WANT SIGURD, DAMMIT! LYN! HECTOR! GODDAMN JAFAR! FUCK ALL THESE NEW EMBLEM WEEABOO WAIFU MOTHERFUCKERS.

Awakening was the best and worst thing to happen to Fire Emblem...
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,060
    Should I get the Pokken Controller now or Wait for the Wired Hori Switch game pad?
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • Geese PantsGeese Pants Working on it.......... Joined: Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

Stop teasing me Platinum..............and give me Wonderful 101.
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

"Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 24,483
    Platinum been trolling their asses off recently.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
    edited July 6
    Platinum is like that fine bitch at the club that you try to hit up and she doesn't seem down but gives mixed signals.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,060
    Fuck Platinum, if they want to Troll I just go elsewhere with my Money
    Wait I have to spend money on a Platinum game first, LOL.

But seriously, unless they are trying to hint at something stop trolling everyone.
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 20,817
    Stop getting baited like a cry baby bitch instead. God damn you have to be weak as fuck to get triggered by this. Fucking pussy, christ.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
    edited July 6
    Peace to the Mountain
    Amiibo Aficionado

Negro Install

• FemtoFemto Joined: Posts: 4,471
    edited July 7
    m101ral67.gif

Post edited by Femto on
    "Racism died in the 80's and 90's. Period." - ParryAll 11/10/2016
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/146396/the-current-state-of-the-world-and-us-updated-first-post/p237

"I was walking home and decided to not get shot at by a Muslim by not interfering and if people want to keep enriching the US with diversity then that's their decision. Also, she was already getting raped. Me interfering would have most likely resulted in the Muslim dude getting killed and then the media picking it up as a hate crime. I just kept walking and I think I made the right choice." - ElderGod http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/208447/the-american-government-thread-youre-fired-no-really-gtfo/p424
  • purbeastpurbeast Joined: Posts: 4,626
    Anyone get that Gunvolt game? I am debating picking that up and possibly Thumper to have something new to play on the flights for my vacation in a week. I was also contemplating a Metal Slug game since they are just fun.
    edited July 8
    Very interested in Thumper. Still need to get Mr. Shifty. Too many games to play. Fuckin Splatoon 2 is gonna kill me. I need to finish Horizon asap.
    Post edited by Sonichuman on
    Splatoon 2 is going to be excellent.
    I still hate the smart device voice that thing though. Like a lot.
    Peace to the Mountain
    Amiibo Aficionado

Negro Install

• ReggieHadokenReggieHadoken Power Up Joined: Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    purbeast wrote: »
    Anyone get that Gunvolt game? I am debating picking that up and possibly Thumper to have something new to play on the flights for my vacation in a week. I was also contemplating a Metal Slug game since they are just fun.

I picked up Mighty Gunvolt on the 3DS and it is pretty dang god. Has a Mega Man feel to it but the weapon customization system makes it feel like it's own game.
  • WellmanWellman Joined: Posts: 3,883
    Amazon for Prime members just got another shipment in stock. It was there earlier this hour, not sure if they are all gone yet or what.
    You have been weighed.
    You have been measured.
    And you have absolutely...
    Been found wanting.
    Welcome to the New World. God save you, if it is right that he should do so.
    - A Knight's Tale
  • MillionMillion King of Creeps Joined: Posts: 10,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited July 9
    sheeeit, I didn't even know this was in the works but it looks cool to me.. like a mixture of Warframe and Diablo?!
  • King9999King9999 Joined: Posts: 10,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Looks good, thanks for the heads up Million.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-2722-8799-3295
    PSN/Steam ID/NNID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
    Man I need Pearl and Marina amiibo now plz
    Peace to the Mountain
    Amiibo Aficionado

Negro Install

edited July 11
    Good news, finally buying my own Switch and some games since I have enough time and money now. Anyone got some game recommendations outside of the obvious stuff?
    TAKING YOU PUNKS DOWN!!!
    Good news, finally buying my own Switch and some games since I have enough time and money now. Anyone got some game recommendations outside of the obvious stuff?

what are you planning to pick up? Obvious stuff is going to be Zelda and MK8D (if you've already played it on wii u then its possible to skip but regardless it's still a great addition). Splatoon 2 comes out at the end of this month which I'm pretty hype for. I've been hearing Arms is pretty fun but it's a shame you missed out on the demo for it to try it to see if it was your cup of tea. USFII is still a bit high in price. if you want strat rpg's on the go you can get Disgaea 5 complete. There's a good number of indie and Neo Geo games you can also purchase for the system as well.

Also in regards to Splatoon there's a demo for that game you can play on the 15th so if you're interested in the title dl it from the eshop so you can try it out.

what are you planning to pick up? Obvious stuff is going to be Zelda and MK8D (if you've already played it on wii u then its possible to skip but regardless it's still a great addition). Splatoon 2 comes out at the end of this month which I'm pretty hype for. I've been hearing Arms is pretty fun but it's a shame you missed out on the demo for it to try it to see if it was your cup of tea. USFII is still a bit high in price. if you want strat rpg's on the go you can get Disgaea 5 complete. There's a good number of indie and Neo Geo games you can also purchase for the system as well.

Also in regards to Splatoon there's a demo for that game you can play on the 15th so if you're interested in the title dl it from the eshop so you can try it out.
    Thanks for the hefty response.
    Yeah Zelda and MK8D are the obvious ones, (will probably skip MK8D though) and I'll probably get Puyo Puyo Tetris as a good short burst game, also downloading Fast RMX because that's my kind of shit.
    I'll probably be picking up Splatoon 2 when that comes out soon along with the Mario/Rabbids XCOM game (if it turns out to be as suprisingly good as it looks).
    Skipping USF2, it seems kind of like a lazy cash grab to be honest, especially at that price point. I like strategy RPGS well enough but there's just something about Disgaea that turns me off trying it, it just doesn't appeal to me at all.
    Gonna look through the indie selection, I probably already own most of the Neo Geo titles on pc but maybe I'll double dip if they're good/better ports.
    TAKING YOU PUNKS DOWN!!!
  • FemtoFemto Joined: Posts: 4,471
    Nabbed a Switch yesterday off Amazon Prime day/week sale. Starting Christmas shopping early for family this year. I've read about some people opening theirs and finding that the unit itself isn't there. Opened it up and....everything was there. Nintendo isn't putting a "security" sticker on the boxes so that made it easy.

Granted its not for me but I will be picking one up for myself this year....maybe? Size of the buttons really threw me off, like almost hype-level killer stuff. Talk about a curveball. Are the buttons the same size on the Pro controller?
    "Racism died in the 80's and 90's. Period." - ParryAll 11/10/2016
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/146396/the-current-state-of-the-world-and-us-updated-first-post/p237

"I was walking home and decided to not get shot at by a Muslim by not interfering and if people want to keep enriching the US with diversity then that's their decision. Also, she was already getting raped. Me interfering would have most likely resulted in the Muslim dude getting killed and then the media picking it up as a hate crime. I just kept walking and I think I made the right choice." - ElderGod http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/208447/the-american-government-thread-youre-fired-no-really-gtfo/p424
    Femto wrote: »
    Nabbed a Switch yesterday off Amazon Prime day/week sale. Starting Christmas shopping early for family this year. I've read about some people opening theirs and finding that the unit itself isn't there. Opened it up and....everything was there. Nintendo isn't putting a "security" sticker on the boxes so that made it easy.

Granted its not for me but I will be picking one up for myself this year....maybe? Size of the buttons really threw me off, like almost hype-level killer stuff. Talk about a curveball. Are the buttons the same size on the Pro controller?
    If it's anything like the Wii-U's pro controller the buttons on the Switch's pro controller should be regular sized.
    TAKING YOU PUNKS DOWN!!!
    There's some rips of some of Splatoon 2's music for those interested to hear it.

Off the Hook

Color Pulse (Off the Hook)

Ebb & Flow (Off the Hook)

Don't Slip (Wet Floor)

Undertow (Wet Floor)

Rip Entry (Wet Floor)

Endolphin Surge (Wet Floor)

Inkoming! (Wet Floor)

Off the Hook is so good. I need Pearl and Marina amiibo like yesterday.

Pearl is super adorable and Marina is thicc af.
    Peace to the Mountain
    Amiibo Aficionado

Negro Install

• MillionMillion King of Creeps Joined: Posts: 10,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Ok I have that game Implosion now...yep, good stuff here. You're in a "Warframe"-looking mech and slice/shoot your way through isometric areas like a sci-fi Diablo....but also with a combo counter...oohhh yes this is delicious. I'm barely paying attention to the story; I'm just here for the slash-slash-combo-shootemup action. There's some leveling up too, and special abilities.