The Nintendo Switch Thread! - Welcome to New Donk City! - Mario Odyssey Out Now!!!

Comments

• purbeastpurbeast Joined: Posts: 4,883
    edited May 20
    Holy shit the 200cc in MK8 is remniscent of SNES MK to me. You actually have to jump way early before the actual turn! I just played the first track of mushroom cup on 200cc for my 2nd time ever playing this game and it was awesome having to jump mad early to turn!

EDIT:

Okay wow, this is actually challenging. That is what MK64 and DD did not have - a challenge. I'm glad this isn't easy peasy. I do kind of wish you had to unlock shit and it wasn't open at the start but whatever.

Do the characters make any difference or is it just the equipment?
  • SonichumanSonichuman You're too sloooww!! Joined: Posts: 19,092
    purbeast wrote: »
    As much shit as I talked about Mario Kart being port city, I just picked it up so that I have something new to play on my flight tomorrow and the return flight Tuesday.

Time for you to race us sir.
    High Enough

If you haven't seen this before you may have questions...

Sonichuman wrote: »
    purbeast wrote: »
    As much shit as I talked about Mario Kart being port city, I just picked it up so that I have something new to play on my flight tomorrow and the return flight Tuesday.

Time for you to race us sir.

I'll get on next week at some point, not gonna be playing online while in the air, and not gonna be playing at all while in the Keys.
  • King9999King9999 Joined: Posts: 10,911 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Using the same kart with different characters will give different results.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-2722-8799-3295
    PSN/Steam ID/NNID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
  • FemtoFemto Joined: Posts: 4,763
    Guess I should practice 200cc on the Wii U so I'll be ready when I get a Switch...until then

"Racism died in the 80's and 90's. Period." - ParryAll 11/10/2016
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/146396/the-current-state-of-the-world-and-us-updated-first-post/p237

"I was walking home and decided to not get shot at by a Muslim by not interfering and if people want to keep enriching the US with diversity then that's their decision. Also, she was already getting raped. Me interfering would have most likely resulted in the Muslim dude getting killed and then the media picking it up as a hate crime. I just kept walking and I think I made the right choice." - ElderGod http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/208447/the-american-government-thread-youre-fired-no-really-gtfo/p424
  • MaryokutaiMaryokutai Joined: Posts: 942
    Characters have different weight classes which impact acceleration and top speed. You can usually tell by how they look into what weight class they belong, like Babies being the lightest, Mario being around the middle and Bowser being the heaviest. As mentioned earlier, the only weird one is Rosalina who's as heavy as DK (bot not Bowser).
    Has anyone played Thumper? Been seeing good reviews and good impressions about it and it interests me.
    High Enough

It's hard to explain really and if you have seen videos you already know how it works. Overall the rhythm part of it can be quite hard to grasp as you also need to know which obstacle you'll have to avoid, so it's only partially a rhythm game but also a reaction test with a heavy dose of trial & error (at least of you're only human). It gets hard pretty early on and ramps up the difficulty further after that but it's just a very cool 'experience'. I know that sounds like random PR-generator wording but putting on headphones and losing yourself in that weird and creepy world while dodging and grinding has a very unique feel to it. It's also really cool to notice how you're improving the further you go.

I like it and I'd recommend it but it's certainly not for everyone.
  • eviljevilj Joined: Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited May 23
    Lurking through this thread as I'm contemplating a switch purchase...

I bought Resident Evil 4 either 3 or 4 times...

Gamecube-system seller...never beat it, thought the game wasn't that good.
    PS2-borrowed or might have purchased a used copy, didn't beat it.
    WII-bought it, enjoyed the wii controls and found much easier and enjoyable, beat it. Discovered this game is addicting as hell.
    PS3-HD version, bought it, beat the game a few times.

Nearly bought it again on PS4 or PC.

Green Karin.
  • eviljevilj Joined: Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    my bad. Looks, like I'm 12 days behind and joining the discussion from 2 pages ago...carry on.
    Green Karin.
    There's nothing wrong with talking about RE4 though. Probably the last really great singleplayer game Capcom has made.
  • LiangHuBBBLiangHuBBB Joined: Posts: 2,180
    my switch is like 2 weeks old and I got the Error Code 2153-0321 once only today, I pressed the power button and my switch worked fine again. how big is the chance that this error code is gonna happen again? I mean my switch is only 2 weeks old :(

also does MK8 switch getting disconnects from the online server quite often? Like every 2-3 hours Im getting 1-2 DCs. Ive been playing online games on PS4 since 3 years and only got disconnected like 5 times or so from a game server.
    www.youtube.com/user/LiangHuBBB
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,849
    LiangHuBBB wrote: »
    my switch is like 2 weeks old and I got the Error Code 2153-0321 once only today, I pressed the power button and my switch worked fine again. how big is the chance that this error code is gonna happen again? I mean my switch is only 2 weeks old :(

also does MK8 switch getting disconnects from the online server quite often? Like every 2-3 hours Im getting 1-2 DCs. Ive been playing online games on PS4 since 3 years and only got disconnected like 5 times or so from a game server.

I found theses

https://redd.it/5zrsgo
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=NopoojzDxZA

I suggest contacting Nintendo's customer support and get the thing sent for repairs or replacement
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
    So on my vacation and flights I finished all 50cc races in MK8D and did a 100, 150, and 200 cc race. I definitely enjoy the 150/200 the most so I'll get into those next. Overall though I like the game more than I thought I would. There are a few things about it that I am not a big fan of though, but overall I enjoy the total package.

I played the cups in order for the most part, and it's clear there is a difference in quality of GBA and N64 port courses, and playing those after the original ones for MK8 in the top row of cups was a big disappointing. I wish the quality of the courses was the same for all cups but it makes sense why older ones aren't quite as up to par. I didn't realize it had so many ports of tracks though.

The other thing I'm not a huge fan of are the weapons. The blue shell is the dumbest thing ever in this game. Just really stupid. Then I hate how the red shells track you over jumps and around the whole track. I believe that started happening in MK64, at least the tracking but not sure about over jumps. It was better in SNES how you had to make sure you had a line of sight and made sure there were no jumps or else it wouldn't hit them. Overall I think it's just dumb how 1st player just gets completely whooped up on. It almost seems like a better strategy than trying to be first is to be in 2nd and make a move at the end, but I only really played 50cc where I was lapping people.

The other dumb thing is the steer assist that is on by default. I didn't realize this for a while and I was like "why is it not letting me drift out so far and pulling me back on course?" then I saw the option in the pause menu and turned it off. Thankfully it's an option.

Overall though the game is a lot funner than I expected. I'm still figuring out some of the tricks to the game, like how if you press R as you go off a jump you get a little speed burst and stuff.
  • Plaid_UnicornPlaid_Unicorn Camron should have won an Oscar for Paid in Full Joined: Posts: 10,298
    Maryokutai wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with talking about RE4 though. Probably the last really great singleplayer game Capcom has made.

Not sure about that. RE7 and dragons dogma are pretty tight.
    Just because I lost... doesn't mean I was defeated
    "Say it loud... I main Rog and I'm proud!!!!" - Plaid Unicorn
    "I'll be honest, I don't know why you hang out in Nintendo threads. You seem to hate everything they do." - Po Pimpus
  • NecrotrophicNecrotrophic Isn't a communist. Joined: Posts: 5,927
    in mk64 you could dodge red shells iirc. you had to be drifting or something like that
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
    in mk64 you could dodge red shells iirc. you had to be drifting or something like that

If you know what you are doing you can evade red shells in any Mario kart game.
    MK64 redshells had to be line of sight unless you were super far behind. Also im not really are of red shell dodges in 64 because not only did the need to be line of sight usually but its the only mk where if someone was to your side and naybe slightly ahead of you then you can fire the shell and the shell would more forward a bit then make a sharp angle. Im talking red shell will go past, stop for a millisecond and double back to smack the person. All other redshells in the other game manuvered in a circular path to get to its target
    High Enough

Well timed back throw of a green shell, banana, use of feather, ghost, Star man, can evade a red shell. Also sharp enough of a turn outside mk 64 works.
    Darksakul wrote: »
    Well timed back throw of a green shell, banana, use of feather, ghost, Star man, can evade a red shell. Also sharp enough of a turn outside mk 64 works.

IIRC I think DD was the inly MK where you could didge a red shell using a mini turbo froma power slide. Its been a minute so i could be wrong on that. The other games you are generally getting hit unless you block with an item, use an item to evade, or it happena to hit something on the way to you.

Especially in smk. There have been times that I've had the redshell in my cheeks just barely out running the thinf for what has probably been half a lap but it wasnt going anywhere.
    High Enough

• NeoBloodNeoBlood kara bank account Joined: Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Yes in DD you could dodge with a boost from a drift. I think someone mentioned the GBA game being able to do that as well but I've never played that one. Certain ramps in DD would let a blue shell go right by you also.

I love DD for it's tight controls, it's skill curve (snaking, dodging red shells, which shortcuts to take, etc), and it's design choices like having two characters each with their own special items. The item selection and balance is also spot on which besides not having more interesting techniques to learn (snaking, etc) is my biggest gripe with MK8.
    edited May 24
    SNES had tons of ways to get away from red shells - dropping items behind you, stars, drifting very sharply, feather, mushroom, bumping into someone right when it was near you, intentionally rubbing up against walls or objects as it war approaching, going off a jump, and probably others. Also in SNES, the red shell speeds were greatly affected by the speed you are going when you shot out the shell. If you have your own red shell then got hit by a red shell, then shot your shell at the guy who hit you as he passes you, while you are still at a stand still, the shell is going to be moving at very slow speed and the opponent will easily outrun it and make it hit a wall since the tracking in SNES was a straight line.

In the new one the red shells track like from the center of the track and follow the center of the track, and even go over jumps and gaps.
    Maryokutai wrote: »

Not sure about that. RE7 and dragons dogma are pretty tight.

RE7 I haven't played yet, but Dragon's Dogma was good, yes, but nothing people will remember from the last generation as a true classic. RE4 had Nintendo-levels of polish and was pretty much flawless from start to finish. I wasn't even saying that to provoke or something, it's just that RE4 was phenomenal and a really tough act to follow.

Anyway, not the right place for this.
  • NeoBloodNeoBlood kara bank account Joined: Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I think when we're taking about getting away from red shells we should just automatically assume that everyone knows using certain items will do it. That's MK 101.
    edited May 24
    Mario kart 8 deluxe dark souls mode: Get first place online without using items to defend your cheeks.

I don't know about you but I'm in the mood to spend another $70 for a new controller!
    High Enough

NeoBlood wrote: »
    I think when we're taking about getting away from red shells we should just automatically assume that everyone knows using certain items will do it. That's MK 101.

Yeah so was I until @Darksakul started stating the obvious lol, which is why I did too.
  • InfernomanInfernoman Bro as Hell Joined: Posts: 9,555
    MK:SC had an evil twist for red shells. You can drop them behind you and they would be stationary until a racer got close and then hit you. A timed mine no matter what and nearly unavoidable.
    Who else in a movie wrestled an evil lesbian and by forcefully kissing her, turned her not only heterosexual but good as well? Exactly. That, my friend, is the power of Sean motherfucking Connery - Valaris
  • MillionMillion King of Creeps Joined: Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    yeah the blue shell is bullshit.... I think the only countermeasure is a star....but i you're in 1st, it's unlikely that you have a star anyway....so you're going to take that hit no matter what, it seems.

*ah, actually that red box sound-barrier thing that "drops the beat" like Lucio from Overwatch! I *think* that has defeated the blue shell before... I remember using that and apparently knocking it out.
  • T20thoughtsT20thoughts Shurororororo! Joined: Posts: 1,612
    The red soundbox is made specifically as a way to defeat a blue shell. The blue shell even hovers over you for a moment to give you time to activate the soundbarrier.
    Million wrote: »
    yeah the blue shell is bullshit.... I think the only countermeasure is a star....but i you're in 1st, it's unlikely that you have a star anyway....so you're going to take that hit no matter what, it seems.

*ah, actually that red box sound-barrier thing that "drops the beat" like Lucio from Overwatch! I *think* that has defeated the blue shell before... I remember using that and apparently knocking it out.

Super Horn will wreck a Blue Shell and you do have a chance of getting that in 1st. If you happen to have a mushroom in first you can also use that to dodge the blue shell. You have to wait until right when the blue shell stops circling around you and then use it.
    High Enough

• chadouken!chadouken! less < more Joined: Posts: 5,163
    I swear I used a Boo and it ate the blue shell. Only happened once, but I'm pretty sure it happened.
    po pimpus wrote: »
    Yes, I'm still pissed. Yes, go fuck yourself Darkfaggotasshole.
  • GespenstRitterGespenstRitter The Deadliest SOB In Space Joined: Posts: 3,247
    While it's true that first place needs to be threatened, the Blue Shell takes it way too far. The ways to dodge them are too situational, and all but one method requires an item, several of which are rare or impossible to get in first place. It comes off less as making sure that the first place player is still being checked and more that the first place player is being punished for being first.

The Swarm item from ASRT is a far better alternative, in my opinion. It spawns in front of the leader instead of approaching from behind, giving more time to react to its appearance; getting hit slows you down but doesn't completely cripple you; while it positions itself to threaten first place, it doesn't exclusively target it, and other players not in the immediate vicinity can still get hit; and most importantly, it can be dodged with skillful driving alone, no items required. On that last point, it's even easier to dodge if the opponent uses Swarm with poor timing, that makes the spawned bees position themselves in a way that leaves a lot of gaps to avoid them. So you also have to be smarter about when to use it.
    Prove your justice to society.
  • NecrotrophicNecrotrophic Isn't a communist. Joined: Posts: 5,927
    edited May 25
    i feel like at 200cc items become too much in general. at least against the cpu. there are times where ill be in first place, then its a blue shell, then like 5 or 6 red shells in a row. i suspect there's some kind of programming to have the CPU target you

200cc is fun when its about control, but items are just ridiculous in it. makes it feel random
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
    Will attempt to be online on friday evening for those who want to kart. Ill give a heads up when I'm on.
    High Enough

I notice the SNK Neo Geo ports graphics gets blurry when you use any of the filter options.

I want crisp pixels and scan lines damn it.
    edited May 27
    Picked up ultra 2. Havent messed with it though.

Hopping on mario kart now. Wife also wants to play so she will be playing with me.
    High Enough

• ReggieHadokenReggieHadoken Power Up Joined: Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    To those playing the ARMS global testpunch, how is it? What is Thicktelle Twintelle like?
  • IdunoIduno ...what to put here Joined: Posts: 5,367
    Fuck, missed the first hour because I've somehow spent all my lift not knowing what the fuck BST was, figured UK time was always GMT and was still called GMT even when the clocks go forward or back, turns out it isn't the case.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
    -Stephen Fry

"I know crackheads that could sneak into a house better than an 8th century shinobi."
    -Jimmy1200
    Darksakul wrote: »
    I notice the SNK Neo Geo ports graphics gets blurry when you use any of the filter options.

I want crisp pixels and scan lines damn it.

And yes I going to be comparing the Neo Geo ports to the real hardware. And yes I did repurchase games I already own.