The Nintendo Switch Thread! - Welcome to New Donk City! - Mario Odyssey Out Now!!!

Comments

• NeoBloodNeoBlood kara bank account Joined: Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Fuck forgot about today's test punch but luckily I've got tomorrow off and already have alarms set.
  • SonichumanSonichuman You're too sloooww!! Joined: Posts: 19,083
    edited May 27
    I may or may not be regretting my purchase of ultra 2 right now. I thought I knew what I was getting but it seems it isnt reaching that mark at the moment. I want to check something first before I start saying whats really bugging me.

Edit: ok had to make sure of something and realize its just a st quirk that im not used to.
    Post edited by Sonichuman on
    High Enough

If you haven't seen this before you may have questions...

• po pimpuspo pimpus Beyond Anger... Ultra Rage Joined: Posts: 25,990
    Sonichuman wrote: »
    I may or may not be regretting my purchase of ultra 2 right now. I thought I knew what I was getting but it seems it isnt reaching that mark at the moment. I want to check something first before I start saying whats really bugging me.

You bought a Capcpom game without waiting for reviews and personal accounts?

It's a damn shame this company can't even be trusted to do a port right anymore...

If it ain't got Monster Hunter or Resident Evil on the box, be wary... and even then, still be wary.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • FemtoFemto Joined: Posts: 4,754
    Most of these were obvious but some weren't (going off the edge at the right time for instance)

"Racism died in the 80's and 90's. Period." - ParryAll 11/10/2016
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/146396/the-current-state-of-the-world-and-us-updated-first-post/p237

"I was walking home and decided to not get shot at by a Muslim by not interfering and if people want to keep enriching the US with diversity then that's their decision. Also, she was already getting raped. Me interfering would have most likely resulted in the Muslim dude getting killed and then the media picking it up as a hate crime. I just kept walking and I think I made the right choice." - ElderGod http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/208447/the-american-government-thread-youre-fired-no-really-gtfo/p424
    po pimpus wrote: »
    Sonichuman wrote: »

You bought a Capcpom game without waiting for reviews and personal accounts?

It's a damn shame this company can't even be trusted to do a port right anymore...

If it ain't got Monster Hunter or Resident Evil on the box, be wary... and even then, still be wary.

I saw the reviews. Most reviews arent gonna do shit for a game like this since im just looking for a decent street fighter game on the switch. I was annoyed at something and then after doing some research realized that this was also in st.
    High Enough

• crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,881
    What was it?
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
    What was it?

Ken close fierce>strong DP, fierce DP whiffing on the last hit. Thought that always comboed and immediately thought that was dumb how it dropped and thought it was a change in the game but no researched it and that's in ST (still think it's dumb). Also the push back for moves being way more than I remember them being. So stuff like jump in fierce or RH>close fierce>strong DP/Fierce DP doesn't combo with ryu.

High Enough

• crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 21,881
    edited May 27
    Ah, yea those are ST properties. Feirce DP wasn't really a big combo tool in SFII. Use the Light and Strong DPs for combos.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • Ki ShimaKi Shima This tiger isn't dead.... Joined: Posts: 8,352
    I feel like the only one in the world that thinks Resi 4 is overrated
    "The telephone is virtual reality in that you can meet with someone as if you are together, at least in the auditory sense."

Ray Kurzweil
  • Mood4food77Mood4food77 Joined: Posts: 9,778
    Ki Shima wrote: »

Resi 4 changed the way 3rd person shooters play
  • Swedish ChefSwedish Chef Cream of the Crop! Joined: Posts: 8,796
    edited May 27
    Ki Shima wrote: »
    It's not flawless but considering it pretty much gave birth to the modern third person shooter I'd say it's rated pretty fairly.
    Plus, even with 12 years worth of innovation later it still does a lot of fundamental stuff better than said modern third person shooters, when you shoot stuff in that game it just feels really fucking good.
    TAKING YOU PUNKS DOWN!!!
    ^Bubbleberry_VII you are so godlike for making this.
    Ah, yea those are ST properties. Feirce DP wasn't really a big combo tool in SFII. Use the Light and Strong DPs for combos.

strong DP doesn't work either in those situations. Ken's will hit once and then the second hit will whiff.
    High Enough

Iduno wrote: »
    Wow just tried the global test punch and.

It's pure fucking garbage, complete toss, a waste of goddamn time and I'm cancelling my pre-order.

Whoever the fuck thought that having your movement tied to motion controls as well as your punchs in thumbs up mode is straight up, dropped on their head as a baby retarded.

It just doesn't work, like at all, yes I could use other control methods but the whole point was wanting to punch things with the motions, all it would have took is one thing, just one, letting us use the fucking analogue to move since your thumb is right on top of it anyway and the game would have been sick as fuck but NOPE, gotta do weird tilty shit which doesn't work to get around the arena.

Fuck I'm trying to do more shit to take a few steps in game than I do in sodding Tekken, and at least there what you have to do to move around makes some fucking sense.

So pissed right now, was really looking forward to ARMs and I can't believe Nintendo fucked it up that bad and nobody in fucking development noticed.

Been reading a few impressions around and it seems sometimes the motion controls just aren't clicking for some so they switch to using regular controls and it seems to work out. Seems thought they admit that its not as fun as doing the motion though. Have you atleast attempted to use normal controls yet?
    High Enough

• IdunoIduno ...what to put here Joined: Posts: 5,357
    Nah but I have given motion another bash after learning the thumbs up grip actually has you holding the controllers sideways, movement is functional now but still doesn't feel as precise as using an analogue.

After getting functional movement the game got a lot better and I sent another message cancelling my pre-order cancellation.

I can stick with it like this but I do still think this game needs a mode where you grip the joycons normally, move with the stick and punch with motions, it feels like such a no brainer I don't get why it hasn't been done.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
    -Stephen Fry

"I know crackheads that could sneak into a house better than an 8th century shinobi."
    -Jimmy1200
  • WellmanWellman Joined: Posts: 3,995
    The game seems like Virtual On in practice but using motion to move was a choice I personally wouldn't have made. In a game like Punch Out where movement is limited to dodges you could get away with that but they made movement a thing here and probably should had done something different then just tilt. I am still interested but as fun as motion controls looked and people talked about it, I figured for higher level stuff you would NEED to use more traditional input.
    You have been weighed.
    You have been measured.
    And you have absolutely...
    Been found wanting.
    Welcome to the New World. God save you, if it is right that he should do so.
    - A Knight's Tale
  • MillionMillion King of Creeps Joined: Posts: 10,756 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited May 27
    cheh, the problem with holding on to items for defensive measures against blue shell--- the cpu will just decide to take your shit via the damn Boo item..or the lightning...so that's shaky ground there as well. Usually I won't hold on to an item for too long, especially if I'm playing against the AI since I know it is inevitable the game just decides to take it from you so you are stuck with nothing while the stupid blue shell is launched later, followed by 40 red shells and 9 banana peels placed perfectly to fuck you up all around the track until you go from 1st to 10th.

...and at this point I no longer have real hope of beating all the 200cc races. There's entirely too much bullshit going on in there, and some tracks seem to be straight up impossible to get any kind of speed going while maintaining control (meanwhile the cpu cars can of course take the sharpest turns in the world without having to slow down or even pretend like they are bound by the same physics rules.)

This game keeps reminding me of the incredibly frustrating failure of the Modnation Racers franchise. There's basically no hope of that game continuing on, but I really wish Sony would give it another chance. It still holds that undisputed championship belt for racing games, imo. All the little details...the nuances of strategy that happen on the fly..(*like one item being a wormhole so you skip ahead in space-time to get ahead..and if another racer is fast enough they can follow you through that wormhole; the shit is awesome, man) .on top of there being the greatest customization options I've ever seen... it was SO damn good, man. Speaking of customization--- perhaps the next Mario Kart could compete with it in that regard if it was "Mario Kart Maker", which allowed you to at least have some control over course design, item placement/odds, characters, etc....actually even that would not be as satisfying to me since Modnation had literally no limitation (e.g.--you're racing as Batman against the Colonel from KFC, Homer Simpson, Barack Obama driving the Mystery machine van, Raphael in the Party-Wagon etc.), while a "Mario Kart Maker" would still be confined to things from the Mario/Nintendo universe.

*note--if you guys ever want to go try Modnation... I would NOT recommend the Vita version... it's the PS3 version that is so legendary.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,793
    my problem with the Arm Demo is I could never connect to their Sever to even play

Oh Well
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • purbeastpurbeast Joined: Posts: 4,864
    Arms just looked awful from the very time they showed it. I'm still surprised Nintendo hasn't learned after all this time that making a game focus on motion controls simply does not work with current technology. It's not even close to being ready for that.
    purbeast wrote: »
    Arms just looked awful from the very time they showed it. I'm still surprised Nintendo hasn't learned after all this time that making a game focus on motion controls simply does not work with current technology. It's not even close to being ready for that.

The motion controls (gyro specifically) works so wonderfully in Splatoon. I'll wait until I get in the next test punch in a couple hours before I'll form an opinion.
    edited May 27

I don't think its a technology thing, problem is that motion controls require lots of precision and you aren't going to make a one-size-fit-all for the general public.
    Part of the Reason I hated the Wii so much is the motion control never worked without alot of re-calibration. It's like your own personal ergonomics makes an impact in Motion Controls.

I would like to play the Arms Demo, but for some fuck-all reason the demo is buggy to me.
    It would not connect to the play server. ARMS? Would not buy.
    Post edited by Darksakul on
  • chadouken!chadouken! less < more Joined: Posts: 5,156
    I always thought Wii Sports was the best use of motion control, lol.
    Yes, I'm still pissed. Yes, go fuck yourself Darkfaggotasshole.
    Darksakul wrote: »

I don't think its a technology thing, problem is that motion controls require lots of precision and you aren't going to make a one-size-fit-all for the general public.
    Part of the Reason I hated the Wii so much is the motion control never worked without alot of re-calibration.

You just said exactly why the technology is there.
    edited May 27
    chadouken! wrote: »
    I always thought Wii Sports was the best use of motion control, lol.

Man that shit was so buggy to me, I can't even play the golf game without alot of re-calibrations.
    Best use of Motion controls to me on the Wii has been the Light Gun style games.

Part of the Reason I hated the Wii so much is the motion control never worked without alot of re-calibration.

You just said exactly why the technology is there.

And its crap. Motion controls were crap in the 80s and its just as crap now.
    Whats the point of Motion controls if I have to spend time re-calibrating every time.
    I just want to grab a controller and play, not spend 5 minuets with a setting screen.
  • chadouken!chadouken! less < more Joined: Posts: 5,156
    Actually, I did enjoy Metroid Prime 3 with the motion controls. Didn't like them as much in the Zelda games though. Would have rather had traditional controls for Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword.
    Yes, I'm still pissed. Yes, go fuck yourself Darkfaggotasshole.
    Gaf has countdown clocks in this thread for when the test punches will be up.

Cant find the image at the moment that just has the times
    http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1380408
    High Enough

• Killer_JigglypuffKiller_Jigglypuff Trying really hard Joined: Posts: 7,817
    It's funny comparing SRK's reactions to ARMS to literally everywhere else on the internet, apparently everyone else loves it.
    CFN: SpitefulBanette
    It's funny comparing SRK's reactions to ARMS to literally everywhere else on the internet, apparently everyone else loves it.

I can only base the game off my experiences, but when the Global Test punch does not even work on my machine.
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Beyond Anger... Ultra Rage Joined: Posts: 25,990

Nintendo. Motion controls. Recipe for complaints right there.

I won't say much else, since I can't try it myself right now, but I've never had a problem with motion controls.

I imagine it's "waggle" all over again.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10

I can only base the game off my experiences, but when the Global Test punch does not even work on my machine.

Okay Deleting and reloading the game helps
    edited May 27
    I'm playing it now and having no movement issues. I'm just getting used to the idea of the controls (button for dash and jump) but as far as directions go I've got no problems.

The responsiveness​ alone reassures my faith in the gyro controls, and makes me want to say that yes, even in Splatoon it took like a week or two to get used to them but eventually it created the true 1:1 movement that Nintendo was going for with the Wii. So keep trying and keep an open mind when approaching the controls, they may click for you eventually.

Now as for the game itself, holy shit I'm in love. Mechanica is current bae, the details are amazing like the crowd at the arena being made up of the current characters' fan boys, and getting a win is satisfying ESPECIALLY off of a clever punch combo. And VOLLEYBALL MODE!
    I played a few matches last night online of MK8D and was surprised how streamlined the whole process was with finding random games, and how quick it is between races. There was like no lag at all or if there was, they hide it very well. Online is a bit hectic though lol. It was still fun.
    Okay Arms isn't bad. Controls take some time getting used to.
    No idea how the lobby works.
  • King9999King9999 Joined: Posts: 10,911 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    FYI, ARMS doesn't require motion controls, so there's no reason to complain about it.

So far, I'm feeling Ribbon Girl. And volleyball mode is fun as hell. As a fan of Tekken Ball, I'm going to be playing this mode a lot.

Slapamander is the shit. You can't hide from it.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-2722-8799-3295
    PSN/Steam ID/NNID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
    King9999 wrote: »
    FYI, ARMS doesn't require motion controls, so there's no reason to complain about it.

So far, I'm feeling Ribbon Girl. And volleyball mode is fun as hell. As a fan of Tekken Ball, I'm going to be playing this mode a lot.

Yeah I think pro controller play will still be the "standard" simply because hitting a button to punch vs actually throwing a punch is more responsive.
  • IdunoIduno ...what to put here Joined: Posts: 5,357
    edited May 27

Unless you want to curve punches or for it to not land squarely in "a 3d brawler, I wish I was playing Anarchy Reigns instead" territory.

Eh as I said previously I've got used to them now except for the forward speed drop when you get too close to somebody, would still prefer a motion setup with movement on the analogue though.

Btw I didn't run into you last test did I?
    I was the Ribbon Girl player running left normal fist yellow party popper and I remember seeing the same guy repeatedly with normal fist and slappamander setup.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
    -Stephen Fry

"I know crackheads that could sneak into a house better than an 8th century shinobi."
    -Jimmy1200
  • King9999King9999 Joined: Posts: 10,911 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Iduno wrote: »

Unless you want to curve punches or for it to not land squarely in "a 3d brawler, I wish I was playing Anarchy Reigns instead" territory.

Eh as I said previously I've got used to them now except for the forward speed drop when you get too close to somebody, would still prefer a motion setup with movement on the analogue though.

Btw I didn't run into you last test did I?
    I was the Ribbon Girl player running left normal fist yellow party popper and I remember seeing the same guy repeatedly with normal fist and slappamander setup.

That sounds like me. I use the default arm on the left and slapamander on the right. My name was King. Was it you I was fighting just before the game shut down?

I don't care for the default controls. In the full game I'll probably use Y and X to attack, and one of the shoulder buttons to block.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-2722-8799-3295
    PSN/Steam ID/NNID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
    MK8D was hell for me last night. Made some decisions that I immediately regretted along with just screwing up in general. Few games I couls have easily won if I had my shit tight or hadn't over extended. Could not get out of the abyss no matter how hard i tried. Still averged to be in the upper half for most races.

Really felt like somebody was watching me and just waiting for me to go slightly agro so they could push my shit in. Felt like the moment I attempted to throw a shell karma immediately came and got me.
    High Enough

edited May 27
    Double post
    High Enough

• GespenstRitterGespenstRitter The Deadliest SOB In Space Joined: Posts: 3,247
    Certain techniques are straight up impossible to do without motion controls in this game, though.
    I don't care for the default controls. In the full game I'll probably use Y and X to attack, and one of the shoulder buttons to block.
    That's assuming that you can remap the controls. If you couldn't do it in the beta, I have my doubts that you can do it in the full game. This team didn't let you remap controls in their last game either. Have fun with clicking the stick to block.
    Prove your justice to society.