The Nintendo Switch Thread! - Welcome to New Donk City!

Comments

• Rhio2kRhio2k Senior Member Joined: Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited August 5
    Rhio2k wrote: »
    Darksakul wrote: »
    So i wandered into Walmart like a stray dog and got a switch, cuz, you know...MH XX next month. Anywho, I love me some fighters (not badly enough to pay more than 10 bucks for janky-ass HD Remix with 2 mugen characters) and was looking for something to tide me over until then....and is anyone else irked by SNK putting out VANILLA Kof98 instead of UM?, or Samurai Shodown 1 and 4 instead of 2 and 4? Should I bite the bullet on 98 and hope UM doesn't get released for the same price a week or 2 later?

Garou Mark of the Wolves is on the Switch eShop.

I know...but it's not one of my favorite games. I like Samsho 4, Kof 98 UM, Kof 2k1 and 2k2UM. Not too sure about World Heroes Perfect. Didn't seem to have much in the way of a combo system, but I was playing on Mame a couple months after the rom was first dumped.

I too with they had the UM version of 98 and 2k2. :(
    Do the Neogeo games (especially the fighters) even have net play? If not they aren't even worth it.

There's not even console mode so you can get used to the controls or map your buttons from what I see.

So garbage ports. Gotcha

Not quite. Just no netplay or practice modes. After dicking around a bit instead of just jumping into gameplay, I find that there are option modes in these games. By hitting plus or minus, you open a menu. Let's use kof98 as an example. The menu has, in this order

Create Interrupt Save Data
    Display Settings
    Game Settings (timer, difficulty, blood, etc)
    Button Settings (thank god, they can't all perfect be by default like kof98 and samsho4)
    Manual
    Online Ranking
    Restore All To Default
    Game Reset
    Back To Title
    Return To Game

I wonder if it's possible for SNK to quietly switch these aca mvs versions out with neogeo console ports on the sly (with practice mode, of course. I don't expect miracles like netplay), and have people upgrade via a mandatory title update.

I could really use a Switch release of Breakers Revenge...
    Post edited by Rhio2k on
    Roger: Well, Anita's pregnant, and-
    Cruella: Well, what can I say? Accidents will happen.
    Roger: We're having puppies, too.
    Cruella: *Gasp* Puppies!? *Leer* My, you have been a busy boy!
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,471
    I wonder if it's possible for SNK to quietly switch these aca mvs versions out with neogeo console ports on the sly (with practice mode, of course. I don't expect miracles like netplay), and have people upgrade via a mandatory title update.

What? you rather have the AES version over the MVS?
    The MVS is superior. But I digress.

AES just happens to have a user menu driven difficulty options and a set limited number of continues.
    MVS you have to go into the board menu via service buttons or use the Dip switches and your continues are limited do how many quarters you have.

Most of the Neo Geo games are identical between their AES and MVS versions, it's just the bios on the system that is forces the differences.

Now the Switch ports of Neo geo games are much, much, much so very much better than earlier PC/Steam Ports which are lazily done using the Rom and a lazy clone of Mame.
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • DrellyFishDrellyFish Joined: Posts: 4,331
    Still waiting to cop the Switch, tbh I could've got it last week because my gamestop had some in stock. But right now I feel I got enough on my plate to keep me entertained without having to invest in another console.

If I can clear off some backlog. I def wanna get it holiday or early 2018 for Xenoblade 2, Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Mario and Rabbids. I wanted FE Warriors as well but that roster is fuckin garbage and killed all my hype for it so idk.
  • NeesaNeesa Melt in your mouth kind of lovin'. Joined: Posts: 7,114
    All I know is that the way they handle this Splatfest to team up with people is absolutely atrocious.

If you wanna run duos with your friends? Nope, sorry. Gotta have a full party of 4.

Got a full party? They better be in the same region or else fuck you.

Can't even queue up to play against friends of the opposing faction either.

Such a headache.
    "At the very least, Ana means that that one guy who runs Widowmaker and only Widowmaker can now play support." - d3v
    3DS FC: 0559-8183-6908
  • Plaid_UnicornPlaid_Unicorn Camron should have won an Oscar for Paid in Full Joined: Posts: 9,860
    Nintendo still hasn't figured out netplay in 2017. Sad really
    Just because I lost... doesn't mean I was defeated
    "Say it loud... I main Rog and I'm proud!!!!" - Plaid Unicorn
    "I'll be honest, I don't know why you hang out in Nintendo threads. You seem to hate everything they do." - Po Pimpus
    Nintendo still hasn't figured out netplay in 2017. Sad really

They have to figure out the internet first
  • SonichumanSonichuman You're too sloooww!! Joined: Posts: 18,612
    Well...thing is they were getting better with the wii u to be honest aaaaand then someone at the round table discussion came up with the brilliant idea that we have going on right now and IT FUCKING PASSED. I really want to know who looked at the idea that was presented and was like
    'MAGNIFICENT! GENIUS! BRAVO SIR! BRAVO!:'
    '....uh..are you sure sir? This looks really convoluted and I can't see hAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH! *chair drops back and hes dropped into pit of cobras and then the floor closes back up*'
    '*takes his hand off the red button* We will be moving forward with this....There is no please...You WILL understand'

AES just happens to have a user menu driven difficulty options and a set limited number of continues.
    MVS you have to go into the board menu via service buttons or use the Dip switches and your continues are limited do how many quarters you have.

Most of the Neo Geo games are identical between their AES and MVS versions, it's just the bios on the system that is forces the differences.

Now the Switch ports of Neo geo games are much, much, much so very much better than earlier PC/Steam Ports which are lazily done using the Rom and a lazy clone of Mame.

Oh...So the whole "practice mode" thing started with ports for other consoles?
  • NecrotrophicNecrotrophic Isn't a communist. Joined: Posts: 5,878
    edited August 6
    Japanese business culture makes the American work place look like a democracy.

people don't like to question their "superiors" and the result of that is a lot of dumb ideas being treated as something worth selling
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
    edited August 6

Oh...So the whole "practice mode" thing started with ports for other consoles?

Depending in the title Neo Geo AES and CD game could have a practice mode. It depends when the game is developed.

• NeesaNeesa Melt in your mouth kind of lovin'. Joined: Posts: 7,114
    MxQTBq0_QW_UN8Mxjg1K7A.png

The superior condiment won. B)
    "At the very least, Ana means that that one guy who runs Widowmaker and only Widowmaker can now play support." - d3v
    3DS FC: 0559-8183-6908
  • FemtoFemto Joined: Posts: 4,508
    So when do amiibo work in BotW? I'm on the Great Plateau with only the magnesis rune thus far, Switch version. I'm guessing its after the Great Plateau? I have Wolf Link and Archer Link. Thanks in advance.
    "Racism died in the 80's and 90's. Period." - ParryAll 11/10/2016
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/146396/the-current-state-of-the-world-and-us-updated-first-post/p237

"I was walking home and decided to not get shot at by a Muslim by not interfering and if people want to keep enriching the US with diversity then that's their decision. Also, she was already getting raped. Me interfering would have most likely resulted in the Muslim dude getting killed and then the media picking it up as a hate crime. I just kept walking and I think I made the right choice." - ElderGod http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/208447/the-american-government-thread-youre-fired-no-really-gtfo/p424
  • InfernomanInfernoman Bro as Hell Joined: Posts: 9,222
    Fuck mayo. Ketchup for life still
    Who else in a movie wrestled an evil lesbian and by forcefully kissing her, turned her not only heterosexual but good as well? Exactly. That, my friend, is the power of Sean motherfucking Connery - Valaris
  • SadQuotesSadQuotes Begging for Thread Joined: Posts: 4,526
    I was mad surprised I found a Switch (a Neon one) at Target at 7 PM that shit is out of stock by like Noon lol.
    This is what it feels like.
    Boooooo at mayo winning!
    Femto wrote: »
    So when do amiibo work in BotW? I'm on the Great Plateau with only the magnesis rune thus far, Switch version. I'm guessing its after the Great Plateau? I have Wolf Link and Archer Link. Thanks in advance.

I believe the amiibos make a drop in front of you iirc.
    edited August 6
    I'm looking for a hard clamshell-style case, not necessarily a Switch product...maybe a GPS case, that I can use for the tablet portion when I go to work that will fit in a cargo pocket like my vita and 3ds travel cases. Anybody got any recommendations?

Edit: think I found what I want: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CP0L0GU/ref=psdc_764466_t3_B01D1GBME2
    Post edited by Rhio2k on
    Sonichuman wrote: »
    Boooooo at mayo winning!

Hmmm, I had the right icon for dropping but they weren't dropping....hope it's not faulty joycons...... :o
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/146396/the-current-state-of-the-world-and-us-updated-first-post/p237

"I was walking home and decided to not get shot at by a Muslim by not interfering and if people want to keep enriching the US with diversity then that's their decision. Also, she was already getting raped. Me interfering would have most likely resulted in the Muslim dude getting killed and then the media picking it up as a hate crime. I just kept walking and I think I made the right choice." - ElderGod http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/208447/the-american-government-thread-youre-fired-no-really-gtfo/p424
  • NeoBloodNeoBlood kara bank account Joined: Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Neesa wrote: »
    MxQTBq0_QW_UN8Mxjg1K7A.png

The superior condiment won. B)

Sweet, good to know I'll have a big pile of sea snails waiting for me later.
    Boooooo at mayo winning!

Hmmm, I had the right icon for dropping but they weren't dropping....hope it's not faulty joycons...... :o

Got it working. Not sure how, but it did. Messed around with the wolf which was cool, but not needed. Definitely a "cool extra" that didn't feel like it should be part of the main Game.

Splatoon question....

Do the walls count for territory covered? I'm playing the first one and just now able to go online, slIm not sure if it just counts ground for territory?

• IdunoIduno ...what to put here Joined: Posts: 5,128
    Fuck yeah, Mayo won in Europe too.
    Splatoon question....

Do the walls count for territory covered? I'm playing the first one and just now able to go online, slIm not sure if it just counts ground for territory?

Nope.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
    -Stephen Fry

"I know crackheads that could sneak into a house better than an 8th century shinobi."
    -Jimmy1200
    Splatoon question....

Anywhere the light touches counts if the light was to come straight down on the arena. Slants count but any thing that is a straight up wall does not.
  • InfernomanInfernoman Bro as Hell Joined: Posts: 9,222
    GF got lucky and got a Switch and Splatoon 2. We love playing together...when we're on the same team. I feel the pain of partying up.

Thanks Nintendo
    Who else in a movie wrestled an evil lesbian and by forcefully kissing her, turned her not only heterosexual but good as well? Exactly. That, my friend, is the power of Sean motherfucking Connery - Valaris
    Thanks for the replies. I'll focus that much more on the ground. Made it to level 10 just now so maybe I'll try rank sometime this week.

Everybody got your Monster Hunter XX demo?
    Everybody got your Monster Hunter XX demo?

I got it downloaded, I just havent fired it up yet
    This game is friggin beautiful on a tv.
    Arms got updated

Too bad I don't know a lick of Japanese or experienced with Monster Hunter games
    otherwise I would enjoy it more.

I got no clue what I am doing.Do the Attacks have a cool down or something?
    edited August 10

Too bad I don't know a lick of Japanese or experienced with Monster Hunter games
    otherwise I would enjoy it more.

I got no clue what I am doing.Do the Attacks have a cool down or something?

No cooldowns (you DO have to build meter to use Hunter Arts, though). You have 2 attack buttons per melee weapon. X (weak) and A (hard). Y is to use item, and B is to roll/evade. R1 is sprint, L2 is to lock on to the main monster once you find it and L1 is to center your camera on it. And don't forget Arekkz:

• MillionMillion King of Creeps Joined: Posts: 10,442 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited August 10
    Well, today is the day apparently for Phantom Trigger-- I'm definitely getting this later today...

I'm still on Fate/Extella and Implosion though...

*one nitpick about Fate though--- the amount of story scenes gets to be quite annoying... I want to know what's going on in terms of story for just about any game, but here I'm tempted to just start skipping scenes so I can get back to the action. Sheeeeit, when you only have 15 minutes on a break at work, or 1 hour for lunch time.... time is of the essence, man.
    @Million thats why you get the free mission grinfing you need for the side story characters done in your lunch break and do all the story stuff at home.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
    -Stephen Fry

"I know crackheads that could sneak into a house better than an 8th century shinobi."
    -Jimmy1200
    yep, I starting going straight to the Battle Mode side story stuff each time now....

..and speaking of--- holy shit, man... Gawain is slicing these dudes up like a Champion™, man... I was just doing a mission where Elizabeth Bathory showed up... I don't think she even got a hit... she didn't even get to do anything because my moves and pure offense in her face were too raw. This keeps getting better the further I dig into it... I finished things off with one of those super moves you can do when you get all 3 pieces of that microchip-looking icon... the regular "Extella" move isn't all that since it seems like everyone has it---this other special is apparently a unique thing to each character, and so far it's always some awesome, "Ultimate Bankai from Bleach" looking shit going on. Then there's some other technique where the characters use some kind of temporary super boost like a Kaio-Ken type of thing... it's pure action-anime "powering up" shit and I shamelessly love every bit of it. It looks like there's quite a few characters to unlock here.

*oh hell yeah it's on... Phantom Trigger just finished downloading :woot:
    So Splatbrella dropped today, damage sucks dick but the umbrella itself is pretty fun, both as a shield and as a decoy since your opponent can't see what is actually behind it when it's on the move allowing for shenanigans.
    -Stephen Fry

-Jimmy1200
    edited August 12
    Iduno wrote: »
    So Splatbrella dropped today, damage sucks dick but the umbrella itself is pretty fun, both as a shield and as a decoy since your opponent can't see what is actually behind it when it's on the move allowing for shenanigans.

I like what I've played of the Splatbrella in singleplayer and its pretty much like a riotshield shotgun combo. I kind of dig it. Probably going to try to get good with it along with the splat dualies.
  • Kinniku BusterKinniku Buster KIMO! KIMO! KIMO! Joined: Posts: 8,958
    Splat duelies seem really good.
    I'm just a noob with my Roller who sorely misses kraken
    Peace to the Mountain
    Amiibo Aficionado

Negro Install

The sky's fallin', baby, drop that ass 'fore it crash.

Currently Playing - Splatoon 2 (Switch), Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection (PS4)
    Currently Reading - Rick and Morty (Onipress), Usagi Yojimbo (Dark Horse)
    Currently Watching (Animated) - Star vs. The Forces of Evil, We Bare Bears
    Currently Watching (Live Action) - GLOW

• affinityaffinity Joined: Posts: 2,543
    So i wandered into Walmart like a stray dog and got a switch, cuz, you know...MH XX next month. Anywho, I love me some fighters (not badly enough to pay more than 10 bucks for janky-ass HD Remix with 2 mugen characters) and was looking for something to tide me over until then....and is anyone else irked by SNK putting out VANILLA Kof98 instead of UM?, or Samurai Shodown 1 and 4 instead of 2 and 4? Should I bite the bullet on 98 and hope UM doesn't get released for the same price a week or 2 later?

Garou Mark of the Wolves is on the Switch eShop.

I know...but it's not one of my favorite games. I like Samsho 4, Kof 98 UM, Kof 2k1 and 2k2UM. Not too sure about World Heroes Perfect. Didn't seem to have much in the way of a combo system, but I was playing on Mame a couple months after the rom was first dumped.

I too with they had the UM version of 98 and 2k2. :(
    Do the Neogeo games (especially the fighters) even have net play? If not they aren't even worth it.

There's not even console mode so you can get used to the controls or map your buttons from what I see.

So garbage ports. Gotcha

Not quite. Just no netplay or practice modes. After dicking around a bit instead of just jumping into gameplay, I find that there are option modes in these games. By hitting plus or minus, you open a menu. Let's use kof98 as an example. The menu has, in this order

Create Interrupt Save Data
    Display Settings
    Game Settings (timer, difficulty, blood, etc)
    Button Settings (thank god, they can't all perfect be by default like kof98 and samsho4)
    Manual
    Online Ranking
    Restore All To Default
    Game Reset
    Back To Title
    Return To Game

I could really use a Switch release of Breakers Revenge...

NUUUUUUUU, PS4 is more worthy for Breakers Revenge!! PS4 has over 60,000,000 players that can appreciate Breakers Revenge, such a ultra rare fighting game! if Switch gets it, so should PS4!

Breakers Revenge is so epic, it even has explosive background effects for Special Finishers!! How epic is that?! brutal hard hitting effects and overall great presentation. It is so epic that it really deserves to be on the #1 console this generation.
    Samurai Shodown V Special uncensored + online crossplay PS4 and Vita
    https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/07/13/arcade-legend-samurai-shodown-v-special-coming-to-ps4-vita/
  • NeoBloodNeoBlood kara bank account Joined: Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited August 17
    Iduno wrote: »

I like what I've played of the Splatbrella in singleplayer and its pretty much like a riotshield shotgun combo. I kind of dig it. Probably going to try to get good with it along with the splat dualies.

Splash down is probably the best replacement for kraken in this game (because you typically activate it when you're right on someone) followed by maybe the ball. All the specials feel weak compared to the old ones though, but I'm sure people are still figuring them out.
    Post edited by NeoBlood on
    Demo for Rayman Legends: Definitive edition is on the eshop currently for those interested...

*stares at eshop*
    edited August 15
    Rayman Legends is one of the very best platformers out there. If you want a big-screen portable version of it and the port turns out to not have issues, it's amazingly recommended.

It's also a game you can get for the price of a fast-food meal on basically every other console from PS3/360 and onwards. Just saying.

'Cause, well. If you haven't played Rayman Legends and you like platform games AT ALL, you really need to get it in some form or other.

Nice.
    Wait...is Legends the one with lots of characters you can choose that all play exactly the same?

Liking Sonic. As a teen, I was burned out on Sonic when 3 hit, and S&K was likewise boring to me...but this is actually FUN, and adding 3's powerups was a nice touch.
    Fate/Extella--- too much fun, man...well...if you're like me and still like that kind of game, of course... I finally finished 1 main story (Nero Claudius), though apparently there's at least 2 more....such a great finale there--- when *Final Boss* was finally weakened to the point of laying down with a certain weak point exposed... I just happened to have my "Noble Phantasm" at the ready... jumped over there and activated That Jutsu™...the blue aura appeared as my Phantasm was in full effect... direct hit.... that bitch was so FINISHED, man. Good stuff :clap: I still have a lot more characters to unlock though.

*Sonic-- yeah, I also wasn't much a fan of Sonic 3... it was alright, but the real pinnacle of the 16-bit Sonic games was part 2 for me...still one of my favorite games of all time. The more I see of this Sonic Mania, the more tempting it is to get it...sheeeeit, I may as well get that.
    ok Fate/Extella----Cu Chulainn is the shit, man... check out how awesome his "Noble Phantasm" is

I'm having more fun with this character than the others so far...all his attacks look so badass, man... his default costume is silly though, as you can see in that vid...looks like some 3rd rate superhero outfit possibly designed by Liefeld in the 90s. I'm using some other outfit that makes him look a bit more like an ancient warrior.

On another note--I had not heard of this mythic character until now--this is where Chulainn is from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cú_Chulainn (*holy shit dude is badass)
    edited August 17
    ...does he have the real Cuchullainn's legendary Salmon Leap? Also, I learned about Cuchullainn the same way most americans did: Jakers!: The Adventures Of Piggly Winks.
    edited August 19
    Capcom's really sitting on their ass on this one. There's tons of previously-released digital games they can easily port in the next 2 months, and it's been shown that sales on portables are almost always higher than console sales (probably due to 3rd party software scarcity)

Ducktales Remastered (it's on cell phones now)
    Okami
    SF3 3rd Strike (assuming Iron Galaxy would be cool with that)
    Umvc3 (it's nearly everywhere else now)
    Disney Afternoon Collection (nearly 60% of all comments online about this game are asking for a Switch release)
    Post edited by Rhio2k on
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 24,882
    Why do you still have faith in Capcpom to do anything even remotely intelligent?
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
    Damn, good to have the Classic Squiffer back, loadout sucks dick now but this somewhat washes the shit taste the Brella left away.
    -Stephen Fry

-Jimmy1200