Cooperation Cup and Tokyo thoughts

IglooBobIglooBob Bob the builderJoined: Posts: 4,039
Just returned from a trip to Tokyo to participate in Cooperation Cup. Here's some thoughts I've had floating around since I got back.

America had a team almost get to top 8 in Coop, and won a Japan vs America East vs West. In addition, I watched several Americans put together solid streaks in casuals vs various Tokyo competition often. My takeaway from this is that the top handful of American players can hold their own against the majority of Japanese players. The big boys of course continue to be a problem, and that's the next mountain to climb. I look forward to everyone improving over the next year and performing even better next time around. Can we possibly see an American Dream Team for 2018?

My experience arcade hopping suggested that these days, 3s is far more active than any other part of the series in Tokyo arcades. I saw ST cabs seldom, never really saw CVS2/A2/A3 cabs, and the SF4 cabs generally sat empty. Meanwhile I could usually go to a lot of different arcades (just random arcades, not the 3s hotspots) and find 7-15 players playing on 1-2 cabs on any given night. I'm sure this is not the whole picture, and there are likely ST-specific spots and nights where they gather - just saying that based on my experience, I could easily find 3s games anywhere I went and not as much with other games.

NESICA 3s is like playing underwater and it takes about 15 seconds to realize why no one in Tokyo touches it or considers it a viable CPS3 replacement.

I found the hate from random guys from the FGC super weird and annoying. I read various twitters, articles, etc where people talked about "this is the time of the year where everyone gathers to pretend they like 3s" or "they just keep playing their dead game" or to remind people that American OGs didn't like the game that much. When you watch a bunch of players gather to play their favorite game and take it to new heights each year, and decide that the best use of your time is to shit on it, you've really missed the boat IMO. Either enjoy it or don't watch right? No one cares that you or some old guy from 1999 don't like 3s lol.

Great love to all the English commentators. I really hope to see the English stream continue into the future. The core of the commentary team this year was great and I look forward to even better things next year.

Thanks to everyone who keeps playing this game, shows up to tourneys in America and Europe, flies to Tokyo, streams the game, and creates content for the game. The game continues to thrive because of passionate people who go the extra mile for it. See everyone at Coop Cup 2018.
«1

Comments

  • handa711handa711 Joined: Posts: 159
    The passion of the players really impressed me. I started with USF4 but I'm gonna give 3S a try.
  • Ryu24Ryu24 Retired 3S Titan Joined: Posts: 1,426
    What would be an ideal American dream team?
  • DuralathDuralath 3S Gatekeeper Joined: Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    IglooBob wrote: »
    snip

    Hey man, it's great to see how strong you've gotten ever since that first time we faced off at EVO! I'm definitely proud of your progress, and thank you for the kind words!

    I can echo these sentiments; Cooperation Cup was so dope, and I plan on coming back for next year!

    CFN: Duralath/ServantArcher FightCade: ServantArcher/Kyros Valchion
    3rd Strike: Alex/Makoto/Yun
    Street Fighter V:: Karin/Alex
    twitch.tv/Duralath
    Shoot to thrill.
  • Ryu24Ryu24 Retired 3S Titan Joined: Posts: 1,426
    Knowing my luck, if I went, the first team I'd have to face would be KO Family. ggs
  • R_V_NR_V_N Joined: Posts: 28
    edited January 25
    Nice write up but personally I don’t really like your suggestion of ‘an American dream team’. Just my personal opinion as an outsider though.

    Mainly because 'dream team' means splitting players from their friends. For example, the New York crew, I think it’s great that they have their local scene, play together, bond together and grow stronger together. They should keep doing that and enter the tournament as friends/comrades.

    For 365 days who do they play and talk about 3s with? Each other. That’s a kind of friendship and that is more important than trying to reach far in the tournament. I remember back when SBO was still on and there's one spot for an Australian team. The Melbourne scene and Sydney scene played against each other to decide who enters. A combined ‘dream team’ from the 2 cities would have been stronger, but it was more important to go together as friends as with your crew.
    And secondly, I’m sure trying to determine on some kind of dream team would start so much debate and disagreement and make people feel so left out/disappointed. Btw Tebbo I don’t think Cruise belongs in that list… maybe put venom7 or nhk there instead.

    Post edited by R_V_N on
  • Hanzo_HasashiHanzo_Hasashi Primal Rage rules Joined: Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Where can I read the full results and who were in the US team?
  • jblairjblair Joined: Posts: 1,450
    I'm here for the dream team. I'll be holding a tournament to decide the 3 best Americans in the galaxy who will join Manny and myself. I think the japanese will probably quit the game after we show up.
  • DevdanDevdan Joined: Posts: 538
    IglooBob wrote: »

    My experience arcade hopping suggested that these days, 3s is far more active than any other part of the series in Tokyo arcades. I saw ST cabs seldom, never really saw CVS2/A2/A3 cabs, and the SF4 cabs generally sat empty. Meanwhile I could usually go to a lot of different arcades (just random arcades, not the 3s hotspots) and find 7-15 players playing on 1-2 cabs on any given night. I'm sure this is not the whole picture, and there are likely ST-specific spots and nights where they gather - just saying that based on my experience, I could easily find 3s games anywhere I went and not as much with other games.
    .

    Definitely can't agree with 7-15 players on a random night as a random arcade. A few maybe, but not that many. Unless you're talking about over the course of the entire night, and some of them only played one game and left. Maybe every arcade you went to just happened to be a hot spot, haha. Definitely still alive though.

    It's cool that people are going to Japan though. Rad place, def recommend.
  • TebboTebbo Play. Joined: Posts: 5,711
    edited January 25
    Oh yeah don't get me wrong Denjizz actually plays, Cruise I know has turned out to play, so has Dyne I think right?
    Just a joke. We're all old people now, drama is for kids. I'm basically jizz's #1 fan.

    Also, there are a number of people who are still out there who were/are competitive in Japan.
    There's no surprise the strong players from the states can compete in Japan.
    The best of the best are Japanese but under those couple guys there are plenty of US players who can and have competed with success.

    I could tell you about it but we'd really need to go to Olive Garden.
    Play more.
  • darkhiryuudarkhiryuu Hello Hella Joined: Posts: 202
    edited January 26
    Where can I read the full results and who were in the US team?

    Pre coop results: http://www.cooperationcup.com/coope_result/2017precoope_result/
    Coop results: http://www.cooperationcup.com/15thcoope_result/

    There were four US teams to my knowledge in Coop:

    Milky Boys
    Mami(MA) Ben(YU) Lance(CH) JP(GO) Nasty Nate(YU)

    This is 3rd Strike?
    Nica K.O(YA) Mutant XP(NE) Frankie3s(KE) Gavin(CH) Hold Dat(AL)

    PURORESU G
    Jonas(KE) PartyBrian5000(YU) D5(EL) Arlieth(MA) Duralath(AL)

    And the Texas team who's name I can't remember.
    Post edited by darkhiryuu on
  • TebboTebbo Play. Joined: Posts: 5,711
    Dicks Out! was like a foreign combo team then? Face = FaceNC the chun i assume? I don't know the others, Dusty maybe Knuckleduster? I think a Makoto player from the same area as Face? Someone help.
    Play more.
  • IbokiIboki Joined: Posts: 209
    Dicks Out I think was foreigners living in Japan. Dusty is Koh on here
  • WTF-AKUMA-HAXWTF-AKUMA-HAX BLACK-GOKU-HAX Joined: Posts: 18,024
    jblair wrote: »
    I'm here for the dream team. I'll be holding a tournament to decide the 3 best Americans in the galaxy who will join Manny and myself. I think the japanese will probably quit the game after we show up.
    Mopreme
    Tupac

    ^
    Certified locks.

    Battle Royale
    ----
    E40
    Mistah FAB
    Mr Bob Dopalina
    Del the FUNKYHUMANBEING

    AZNTeeny"Bopper in front of the movie theater in the XXXL Tall tee spraypainted R.I.P. MAC DRE with DubZeros on"
    1999 = "A Game with Parries isn't Street Fighter"
    2016 = "Releasing a Complete Game isn't Street Fighter"
    You wouldn't even understand if I told you.
    People will forget what you said.
    People will forget what you did.
    But, people will never forget how you made them feel.

  • R_V_NR_V_N Joined: Posts: 28
    There was another foreigner team made up of Ryan, Marko, Gunfight and I forgot who else.
    BTW how about an American Alex team for precoop cup?

    Team name: The School of Alex

    Duralath (Deputy Headmaster)
    Diaperbomb (Secretary)
    Hold Dat (Disciplinary Action Coordinator)
    Renic (Janitor)
    2Nasty (Headmaster)
  • RichterRichter ~~~00~~~ Joined: Posts: 1,881
    Austin team (had Shima Remy from Japan)

    Texas UFO
    しん(YU) Luke(GO) シーマ(RE) 流石トレバー(KE) 信(KE)
    coffee.gifapplaud.gifkarate.gifthumbsup.gifwtf.gifpray.gifsmokin.gifparty.gifcool2.gifchinasmile.gifnunchuck.gifsad.gifeek.pngmad.pngcybot.gif
  • TebboTebbo Play. Joined: Posts: 5,711
    edited January 26
    Iboki wrote: »
    Dicks Out I think was foreigners living in Japan. Dusty is Koh on here

    oh cool. my bad koh!
    ya i was also gonna say the arcade ufo team.
    Play more.
  • -=KOH=--=KOH=- In Japan Joined: Posts: 1,572
    Yeah, team Dicks Out! was Me, Fern , Jamboree(Phil), Face and Aaron.
    Aaron Phil and I all live in Japan.

    Aaron and Ryan are the definitely the two best american players living in japan.
    All the way in the back of the food stamp line.
  • pheraipherai LIVE FOREVER Joined: Posts: 11,885 mod
    Devdan wrote: »
    IglooBob wrote: »

    My experience arcade hopping suggested that these days, 3s is far more active than any other part of the series in Tokyo arcades. I saw ST cabs seldom, never really saw CVS2/A2/A3 cabs, and the SF4 cabs generally sat empty. Meanwhile I could usually go to a lot of different arcades (just random arcades, not the 3s hotspots) and find 7-15 players playing on 1-2 cabs on any given night. I'm sure this is not the whole picture, and there are likely ST-specific spots and nights where they gather - just saying that based on my experience, I could easily find 3s games anywhere I went and not as much with other games.
    .

    Definitely can't agree with 7-15 players on a random night as a random arcade. A few maybe, but not that many. Unless you're talking about over the course of the entire night, and some of them only played one game and left. Maybe every arcade you went to just happened to be a hot spot, haha. Definitely still alive though.

    It's cool that people are going to Japan though. Rad place, def recommend.

    theres definitely some places I wouldnt consider hotspots that still get consistent traffic. naturally its going to be a bit more active during coop season but you dont need to travel to newton or versus or mikado to get a good 3rd fix

    i suppose it depends on how you define hotspot.
    pherai gouki dated gwen stefani in HighSchool. Thats why today she likes all things Japan. smokin.gif
  • QuarkQuark Joined: Posts: 4,113
    edited January 27
    while I'm not personally a fan of 3s, I think it's amazing that yall have kept your community alive for so long. with all the stress and disappointment that can come along with having one's FG 'replaced' by a new iteration, the 3s scene serves as a reassuring reminder that old games are not dead games. as long as you have a community of passionate players, your game ain't never gonna die.

    great job repping the US and good luck at coop cup next year!
    Post edited by Quark on
    "Please understand, I never had a secret chart
    To get me to the heart of this or any other matter"
  • TizTozBriBruTizTozBriBru Joined: Posts: 253
    edited January 27
    Shit I'll have to go next year. Hopefully to play. I might need to set the Dreamcast back up to get my skills back up to par./

    Shame on you quark, 3S is the best.
  • darkhiryuudarkhiryuu Hello Hella Joined: Posts: 202
    edited January 27
    Shit I'll have to go next year. Hopefully to play. I might need to set the Dreamcast back up to get my skills back up to par./

    Shame on you quark, 3S is the best.

    If you really plan to do that you're better off not using the Dreamcast version, that's the worst version to practice on.
  • TebboTebbo Play. Joined: Posts: 5,711
    edited January 28
    Quark wrote: »
    while I'm not personally a fan of 3s, I think it's amazing that yall have kept your community alive for so long. with all the stress and disappointment that can come along with having one's FG 'replaced' by a new iteration, the 3s scene serves as a reassuring reminder that old games are not dead games. as long as you have a community of passionate players, your game ain't never gonna die.

    great job repping the US and good luck at coop cup next year!

    Every game is the same.
    This whole dump and move on thing is only something that started relatively recently.

    I think it's the result of matchmaking and the mentality that has created.

    That for some reason you need a huge number of every level of skill player or it isn't worth your time.
    I mean how the hell did anyone improve before matchmaking???? Oh yeah they just played the game. 'getting good' is an effect of playing and you don't need many people to play a fighting game.
    Play more.
  • ReNiCReNiC Ty Joined: Posts: 651
    Fitting titles.
  • VildiilVildiil Joined: Posts: 202 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited February 2
    Tebbo wrote: »
    I mean how the hell did anyone improve before matchmaking???? Oh yeah they just played the game. 'getting good' is an effect of playing and you don't need many people to play a fighting game.

    Yeah, hell back when the 3S anniversary collection came out on OG Xbox and I was just learning the game I came across Shinshay and Exodus and they would play me in long ass sets and then Id talk with them on AIM about the game. (lol does this even still exist?) I leveled up quite a bit but also took an enormous amount of L's in the process but it was worth it.
    SFV: Cammy
    Tekken 7: Kazumi, Katarina
  • blackninja2004blackninja2004 Ibuki is Bae Joined: Posts: 5
    Im just glad theres still a 3s tournament somewhere and i was fortunate enough to catch it on twitch. No disrespect to usf4 but 3S will always be the superior game IMO.
    "Red Cyclone"
  • PVL_93_RUPVL_93_RU When's Dragon Ball? Joined: Posts: 10,997
    SRK's Story Thread Crew:
    • bakfromon, Miðgarðsorm, & Lord Vega - Translations and Lore info
    • just5moreminutes - Story Mode v2.0
    • Doctrine Dark - Character Bios and Endings
    • Shockdingo - The paragraph writer
    • YagamiFire & Darc Requiem - The thread MVPs
    • Cestus - the Dolls endorser
    • The Shakunetsu - The character concept machine
    • Caio_Lins - The CFN profile cropper
    • Daemos - The thread dictator, also a Bison fanboy
    • DarthEnder - The bullshit caller

    Also starring (but not limited to):
    Mykka, Scotia, Hawkingbird, TrueBackLash, Chun-Li_Forever, Kecka, ruthless_nash, mikros, ...
  • Spinning BeatSpinning Beat Mr. creampie your girl Joined: Posts: 3,973
    Reading this made me happy.

    3s is the game that got me into competitive fighting games and is the reason I love fighting games. I signed up on SRK back in 2007 just so I could get help with running CPS3 on MAME. Then I got hooked on playing 3s on 2DF. I really miss that game.
    The most beautiful rose is cultivated in the blood of those who fall before me.
    SFV: Vega.
    3S:Ibuki, Yang, Ryu
    KOF 98:Kyo/Iori/O.Chris
    I play to learn, because you can't win if you don't know shit.
    July, 16 1991: That's when the beat dropped.
    CFN:weedandwater
    R.I.P Bankroll Fresh
  • miomio You have no dignity. Joined: Posts: 552
    edited February 9
    I'm happy to see the hype generated from this year's Co-Op Cup and impressed by the work that active US players are still putting in. This is still the hypest fighting game of all time where amazing happens on a regular basis... Nitto's parry comeback made ppl lose their shit online, but that was something that any regular --- that plays the game at a decent level --- is used to. To me, it was more impressive seeing Genki Alex dominate the last match of the tournament. Where are the grumpyass CH/YU/KE/MA hecklers now?

    I'd say the dream team is probably Justin Wong, Pyro, 5 Star, the original Frankie3s, and Nica KO or ROM
  • TonyRo12TonyRo12 Joined: Posts: 17
    Buggin' ass twerp.

    That would've been a dream team back in 2005. Half those n1gga$ don't even play today. Get up to date fool.

    Even my BOI JR RODRIGUEZ would blow those asses up JWONG, ROM AND OGFRANKIE.
  • let blood runlet blood run RYAN Joined: Posts: 1,474
    mio wrote: »
    Nitto's parry comeback made ppl lose their shit online, but that was something that any regular --- that plays the game at a decent level --- is used to.

    Have you ever played at the level of a Coop or Sbo? It's a little different than playing with your friends drinking Mt. Dew. Lol
    mio wrote: »
    I'd say the dream team is probably Justin Wong, Pyro, 5 Star, the original Frankie3s, and Nica KO or ROM

    Get with the times lol.

    S for sigarette
  • miomio You have no dignity. Joined: Posts: 552
    edited February 9
    mio wrote: »
    Nitto's parry comeback made ppl lose their shit online, but that was something that any regular --- that plays the game at a decent level --- is used to.

    Have you ever played at the level of a Coop or Sbo? It's a little different than playing with your friends drinking Mt. Dew. Lol

    I'm not saying it wasn't great, of course it was. I'm also not suggesting that I play anywhere close to that level. Just saying it's not nearly as crazy as other things we have see from top level japanese tourneys and you know what I'm saying as I'm sure you've seen it yourself.

    Get with the times lol.

    Enlighten me! Who is your US dream team ryan? I wasn't sure if i could put you on the list since you are basically a japanese player at this point, nobody else in the us has the competitive experience that you do so its kind of unfair.

    TonyRo12 wrote: »
    Buggin' ass twerp.

    That would've been a dream team back in 2005. Half those n1gga$ don't even play today. Get up to date fool.

    Even my BOI JR RODRIGUEZ would blow those asses up JWONG, ROM AND OGFRANKIE.

    Twerp? Who the fuck are you? Go back to high school with your bullshit. And no, JR doesn't come close to comparing to them, all due respect. He can't even beat me consistently and I'm not good at all.
    Post edited by mio on
  • IglooBobIglooBob Bob the builder Joined: Posts: 4,039
    edited February 9
    the dream team is

    Lance
    Tom Hanks
    Sandybags
    T.O.P
    Leffen

    Tom Hanks is anchor
  • TebboTebbo Play. Joined: Posts: 5,711
    bob that's the dreamboat team. ;)
    Play more.
  • TonyRo12TonyRo12 Joined: Posts: 17
    Dream team is Gee-O, Alex Valle, Mike Watson, Simon Yoo, and Flash G

    Oh wait my n1gga, it ain't 2002. My bad dawg.
  • miomio You have no dignity. Joined: Posts: 552
    TonyRo12 wrote: »
    Dream team is Gee-O, Alex Valle, Mike Watson, Simon Yoo, and Flash G

    Oh wait my n1gga, it ain't 2002. My bad dawg.

    Instead of continuing to talk shit let's throw down some money and you can prove your knowledge of the game that way

  • jblairjblair Joined: Posts: 1,450
    dream team is me, manny, mommy, kinetix, and hax
  • itsdatruthitsdatruth don't believe anymore Joined: Posts: 33
    Wow, louis farrakhan is truly radical, and a heretic to any orthodox street fighter player.
  • WTF-AKUMA-HAXWTF-AKUMA-HAX BLACK-GOKU-HAX Joined: Posts: 18,024
    THEY DID NOT HAVE THE POWER
    TO STOP LEWIS FARRAKHAN

    S.T.F.U. DENJIZZ LEBRON
    1999 = "A Game with Parries isn't Street Fighter"
    2016 = "Releasing a Complete Game isn't Street Fighter"
    You wouldn't even understand if I told you.
    People will forget what you said.
    People will forget what you did.
    But, people will never forget how you made them feel.

«1
Sign In or Register to comment.