Kolin Matchup Thread

mykkamykka Joined: Posts: 2,524
Discuss strategies against specific characters here.
SF5: R Mika, Urien, Kolin, Xiayu

Comments

• RakiosRakios Joined: Posts: 21
    Guys, I'll start it off with a matchup I just can't seem to overcome.

It's big, it's hairy, it grabs you!
    Z A N G I E F

I lost all my matches against this character. I'm afraid I'll see his CA startup animation in my dreams.

How the freak can you beat this guy?

Aside from standard anti-Gief stuff like throwing him on wakeup, my approach has been:
    - Hailstorm as much as possible (watch out for V-Trigger that sucks you in from pretty far away)
    - cr.MK and b.HK
    - sometimes standing counter because they always press jabs, knees and HK
    - V-Skill through the charged HP

It hasn't been enough for me. Any of you guys have some tips?
  • ensaneensane Garbage Joined: Posts: 76
    light dash to p followup occasionally. EX light dash to p followup to blow up pretty much any meaty attempt. Gief should basically not be able to jump at all because of v skill
    edited March 5
    Thanks.

Are there any ways to make Kolin immediately throw invincible? Backdash and jumping are okay, but when Gief or Akuma super grab you, you gotta be more than just "a bit unthrowable". ^^
  • FrozteyFroztey Break the Cuffs Joined: Posts: 10,046 mod
    Feels good -
    Necalli
    Bison

I don't know -
    Chun-Li
    Cammy
    Vega
    Nash
    Karin
    Rashid
    F.A.N.G.
    Juri
    Alex
    Akuma
    Ken
    Dhalsim
    R.Mika

Feels tough -
    Urien
    Ryu
    Guile
    Birdie
    Balrog
    Ibuki
    Laura
  • Mr. XMr. X Non Stop ∞ Climax Joined: Posts: 20,239
    Froztey wrote: »
    Feels good -
    Necalli
    Bison

I don't know -
    Chun-Li
    Cammy
    Vega
    Nash
    Karin
    Rashid
    F.A.N.G.
    Juri
    Alex
    Akuma
    Ken
    Dhalsim
    R.Mika

Feels tough -
    Urien
    Ryu
    Guile
    Birdie
    Balrog
    Ibuki
    Laura

Zangief?
    You did not go back in time, this is how the forums look.
    "You are all just as bad as the people you hate. You're only interested in characters based on tears." - Since1717
    NO STREAM = DEAD GAME
    PSN: X_the_Genius | GGPO: Mr X | Skype: MisterEcks
  • PoisonKissPoisonKiss Beautiful Disaster Joined: Posts: 962
    I am having a LOT of trouble with Guile and Shotos. Not sure what to do about fireball pressure.
    SFV: Kolin, Laura, Menat. | IJ2: Black Canary, Cheetah. | MvCI: Morrigan/Gamora. | PSN: eleusiswalks
    Mr. X wrote: »
    Feels good -
    Necalli
    Bison

I don't know -
    Chun-Li
    Cammy
    Vega
    Nash
    Karin
    Rashid
    F.A.N.G.
    Juri
    Alex
    Akuma
    Ken
    Dhalsim
    R.Mika

Feels tough -
    Urien
    Ryu
    Guile
    Birdie
    Balrog
    Ibuki
    Laura

Zangief?

In the I don't know slot like most the cast, I just haven't run into a very diverse amount of characters online so I can't comment. 80% of my matches are against Balrog/Urien at the moment. I just know she has a hard time against characters with fireballs.
    I also feel like you have to outmaneuver fireballs the old-fashioned way. Closing the distance towards a Guile has been a mix of neutral jumping and LK command dash into punch followup through the booms.
  • ReanRean Freebuki Joined: Posts: 844
    edited March 6
    ensane wrote: »
    light dash to p followup occasionally. EX light dash to p followup to blow up pretty much any meaty attempt. Gief should basically not be able to jump at all because of v skill
    do light dash into silver edge, get blocked, lose the game in SPD roulette

solid advice
    There is no such thing as innocence,only degrees of guilt.
    Rean wrote: »

solid advice

Dude, no need to pick on him like that. Any advice is useful and a place to start, at least.

You did however mention my biggest problem with this matchup: getting SPD'd all over the place because any "get in quick" options we have leave us in range and negative enough for the piledriver. Also, even EX Vanity Step is no safe escape option, since it can still be thrown.

AFAIK, there is no way to make Kolin immediately throw invincible except CA, right? The struggle is real.
  • DimeDime Wasting time Joined: Posts: 11,094
    Rakios wrote: »
    Rean wrote: »

solid advice

Dude, no need to pick on him like that. Any advice is useful and a place to start, at least.

You did however mention my biggest problem with this matchup: getting SPD'd all over the place because any "get in quick" options we have leave us in range and negative enough for the piledriver. Also, even EX Vanity Step is no safe escape option, since it can still be thrown.

AFAIK, there is no way to make Kolin immediately throw invincible except CA, right? The struggle is real.

Backdash is throw invincible. The basic mixup is to backdash or ex vanity out. One is throw invincible, one is strike invincible.

Versus gief though it's also wise to try a few neutral jumps as well. If he st.hks you then you get juggle reset. If he sods then you get a combo.

The primary way for him to beat this is with his headbutt. But your ex vanity goes through that and through the st.hk as well.
    Gettin' my derp on.
    You can force Gief where you want him with Hailstorm if you play midrange. He's going to have to back up and give you more screen space or dash/jump forward into your range unwillingly. Hailstorm > buffer cr.mp > be ready to AA if jump is a thing I like doing.

Hailstorm is really fucking good at controlling neutral against slower characters with bad long range punish options. Never do it against a Urien or Rog if you know they have charge though, free knockdown for them.
  • RadimarzioRadimarzio Joined: Posts: 9
    Feels good -
    Necalli
    Bison

I don't know -
    Chun-Li
    Cammy
    Vega
    Nash
    Karin
    Rashid
    F.A.N.G.
    Juri
    Alex
    Akuma
    Ken
    Dhalsim
    R.Mika

Feels tough -
    Urien
    Ryu
    Guile
    Birdie
    Balrog
    Ibuki
    Laura

I'm still trying to figure it out the best "behavior" on some matchs. Laura and Cammy are matchs I feel good only when I get myself turtling and waiting to punish/counter whenever is necessary, although I struggle to get away when cornered. Fang, Ryu and Guile I just had success when acting like a crazy on the back dash mix. I had a hard time against birdie, but just saw on a video that we can counter his chains, it may be a game changer. Ken is also a match I didn't have trouble yet, since his neutral game is based on loaded and signed moves (very easy to counter).

Bison is full pressure and I can't handle his close game =\
  • Deimos002Deimos002 Metro Citizen Joined: Posts: 310
    I haven't fought many good Vegas yet, but I can see Kolin out-turtling him.
    Her counter range is pretty far, it registers at about the same range as her st.MP(?), which means she can counter his whiffed pokes.
    That's a big deal, forcing Vega to be the aggressor.

Kolin can melt Bison if he's too predictable, and she has good options to deal with his mix-up devil's reverse.
    Not sure about his ground pressure, she might need to go in w/ VS or make some hard reads.

Every grappler is a chore so far. Alex seems 5-5 at best.

Guile is a difficult match-up, VS isn't very good against booms, he can keep her out pretty easily since she doesn't have the best framedata.
  • yuyinw3sk3ryuyinw3sk3r Joined: Posts: 51
    Cammy is a pretty good matchup IMO your b.hk counters her c.mk and s.mk, after frustrating her in footsies and turtling, They Will surely starts to divekick You, which You can counter on reaction, The constant pokes with b.hk and c.mk plus The few punishes You May get per round and The subsequent Oki, paired with The 240dmg and 300 stun of The ex counter makes her a pretty Solid pick against cammy, if she does her st.lk meaty pressure You need to know a few things, c.lp wins against 3f and has almost no pushback so beware of tick throws, but if she uses her c.lk you can trade with a 3f and she has to microwalk to throw you.
    This was against a ultra platinum cammy so it may work for the majority of cammys.

TL:DR

Use b. Hk and c. Mk to encourage her to divekick, which you should counter, huge dmg against cammy low health = pretty solid MU
    And i feel like crap against urien, laura and rog, its impossible to react with a counter to ex tackle and rog lp dash in footsies, add to the fact that you need to react if he goes low or mid and its just a waste of time to try and counter dashpunch, havent played thatmuch against rig as i hace against urien tho so i feel like urien is the worst of the two.
  • mykkamykka Joined: Posts: 2,524
    Urien and Laura, god. Tough matchups
    SF5: R Mika, Urien, Kolin, Xiayu
  • MaryokutaiMaryokutai Joined: Posts: 942
    And i feel like crap against urien, laura and rog, its impossible to react with a counter to ex tackle and rog lp dash in footsies, add to the fact that you need to react if he goes low or mid and its just a waste of time to try and counter dashpunch, havent played thatmuch against rig as i hace against urien tho so i feel like urien is the worst of the two.

It's possible (but still pretty hard) to react to the second hit of EX tackle with a counter. For some weird reason I haven't played many Uriens lately but that's something I'm trying to practice in that matchup since it's a total game changer.

As for matchups in general, I think Balrog and Guile are both a nightmare. Rashid could turn out to be awful as well.

Out of the top tiers I think she does best against Cammy thanks to big damage counters and the combination of Cammy's low stun + Kolin's V-Trigger.
    Maryokutai wrote: »

It's possible (but still pretty hard) to react to the second hit of EX tackle with a counter. For some weird reason I haven't played many Uriens lately but that's something I'm trying to practice in that matchup since it's a total game changer.

As for matchups in general, I think Balrog and Guile are both a nightmare. Rashid could turn out to be awful as well.

Out of the top tiers I think she does best against Cammy thanks to big damage counters and the combination of Cammy's low stun + Kolin's V-Trigger.

Thanks! Thats a real life-saver, i didnt knew you could do that, with that you could potentially shut down urien's full screen unreactable 0-on-block gap closer, 150 or 240 dmg every time you use that is no joke
    But i have to investigate what happens when he VTC his ex tackle, maybe it will work as a pseudo OS that will only activate if there is no superflash, or you will give him a free ch into aegis combo
    I'm not sure regular counters work on the EX Tackle thing, you need the EX version
  • Maria CroftMaria Croft Joined: Posts: 928
    No you don't. Regular counter works.

Characters that have a strong fireball game really trouble Kolin right now.

I think you need to turtle a little more and reply on your normals to get in.
    But I'm really lost on which normals to count on.

What are her best buttons to get things started in neutral?
    I think I've seen normal counter, too, yeah. Can't reproduce it in training mode though so the timing seems to be really strict. EX is definitely a lot easier to pull off.
  • DimeDime Wasting time Joined: Posts: 11,094
    There's supposed to be a 9 frame gap in the ex tackle.

But the thing is, the gap closes the further away urien is. So at point blank the gap is 9 frames, at near max range the gap is much smaller, at absolute max range uriens ex tackle only hits once.
    Gettin' my derp on.
  • DevilJin 01DevilJin 01 Get some shill in yo system Joined: Posts: 57,962 mod
    EX tackle becomes a loose block string at close ranges.

Ain't nothin, Capcom's ruthless still producin.  Cut em a check or find yoself toothless.  Keep it shill with no confusin.  Niggas say I'm shill...they ain't hard I can prove it YEEEAH

Dhalsim seems to be a really good match up for Kolin. Her vskill really shines against him.

On the other hand, Kolin really struggles against characters like Laura and R.Mika.
    Mika isn't half bad. You can both counter and V-Skill her Drop Kick and lots of Mika players rely on that to get in. Fireball, b.HK and cr.MK can keep her at bay. And if she gets you cornered you can kinda get out with your V-Reversal if they aren't looking for it.

Laura on the other hand can be devastating. I've been playing her for months and know her tricks but I still haven't found a reliable way to beat her as Kolin. Something I've tried with some success is countering low after getting hit with LP Bolt which in turn means they will go for the command grab more often which in turn means you can punish her hard if you see it coming. But that's all mindgames and hardly a reliable strategy.
  • CrayRavenCrayRaven Joined: Posts: 181
    Dhalsim seems to be a really good match up for Kolin. Her vskill really shines against him.

On the other hand, Kolin really struggles against characters like Laura and R.Mika.

I haven't ran into a Sim yet with Kolin. How does the match up go?

CrayRaven wrote: »

I haven't ran into a Sim yet with Kolin. How does the match up go?

V-skill, V-skill, V-skill.

Dead Sim
    Want some insanely good Urien MU tech?

Meaty cr.mk low profiles his EX Headbutt.
  • Intuitive2011Intuitive2011 Cr.Mk XX Hadoken Joined: Posts: 3,693
    Want some insanely good Urien MU tech?

Meaty cr.mk low profiles his EX Headbutt.

I need to lab up against that EX Headbutt. I'm sure we could implement some kind of OS against Urien.
    "Often times, a loss will strengthen and benefit the player more than a win, so I would say don't be afraid of losing and keeping competing." ~Infiltration
    Having some major trouble against Akuma.

My tiny brain can't keep up with all of his options, even if Kolin has some great escape/counter options.
    Wake-up EX Vanity Step/V-reversal should shut down his pressure, but it still feels like an uphill battle.
    I'm spending all my meter and his neutral/escape options are still better.

Not saying it's not 5-5, but it definitely isn't 5-5.
  • GenistarGenistar Master Drayden Joined: Posts: 5,183
    edited March 13
    I feel like it is a 5-5 battle but it feels a little odd to play against akuma. I believe a once in a blue moon ex counter and using skill on some of his slower pokes should keep him honest. About urien...I think this needs to be tested more but if you do a meaty cr.mk so if he decides to do a reversal, it is possible to react to a reversal.
    USF4:Mains Rose/Poison/Akuma/Sakura
    Street fighter V Sakura/Kolin/Menat
    GGrev2 Millia
    DBFZ 16/17/Hit

The thing I hate most about Akuma is air fireball. I like to catch him on the way down with light EX Vanity Step into follow-up since it does massive damage to him, but I hate having to rely on meter for it. If anyone has a better way to deal with that stuff I'm all ears.

Anything else I just try to be patient on defense and hope I can punish a mistake sooner or later. Because one combo into V-Trigger usually leaves him at a spot where your next hit stuns him and after that it's usually Game Over.

I'd say it's slightly in his favor but his low health and stun means a comeback is never far off for Kolin.
    ...speaking of fireballs, I can't beat good Ryus or Guiles. It's like Russia has an aversion against projectiles or something but then again I feel like even Gief has better anti-fireball tools than Kolin. Even with meter you can't really punish them on reaction.
  • Tophe414Tophe414 Joined: Posts: 26
    Guile is the bane of my existence. A good Guile keeps me locked down so much that I spend literally 3/4 of the game inching forward slowly and blocking.

I find that even EX Vanity Step struggles due to guile's v-skill fireball tagging you on the back after I go through it. I have had some success using Hailstorm to cancel the boom and buy some time, but that only works if Guile is hanging back. At that point it's literally "get in c.mk range" and then go for an tag into VT, but I'm not even sure if c.mk low-profiles booms (I don't think it does)
  • PrideAndFuryPrideAndFury Joined: Posts: 91
    The Zangief matchup is impossible. She has extremely stubby normals and Zangief can easily just rush her down and stop everything with lariat.
    edited March 16
    Hailstorm, back HK, cr.HP, cr.MK.
    Vanity Step and double jump for ambiguity and escapes.

Nah, she's good.

Kind of reminds me of the Cody - Gief matchup.
    What to do against Akuma?
    Can't seem to do much against him.

He seems to get in for free with his air-fireball and he's hard to anti-air because he can alter his jump arc.
    back jump mk works pretty well, or just respect his jump-ins