Ps2 connecting it to component /ypbpr ?

guyvin_juyvin_83guyvin_juyvin_83 Joined: Posts: 21
Hi guys,
Sorry if this seems like a dumbarse question but I've hounded the net and cannot find an answer i feel like I'm going out of my friggin mind :sweat:

Ok, so I got my old ps2 out as I just bought a may flash universal arcade stick (it's not bad actually) and i realise I only had a ps2 to composite leads (red yellow white) and a scart adapter. So either way I can can connect the 3 composite leads directly to my HDTV or I can put them into a small scart adapter and into the scart port on my tv. This is working but my ps2 quality had that blurred look.

Here's the confusing and annoying part. I am aware that COMPONENT (red green blue) is better than composite and that component for a ps2 is pretty much the same as hdmi. Correct? However my tv does not have a component input (red green blue.... white red, these 2 being audio i beleive). However I am aware that the component is YPBPR and my tv does have a single port for this ypbpr but no other component inputs .

I've added pics. Very confused. I could just buy a ps2 to hdmi converter for about £12 but I've got component cables on the way.

Comments

• guyvin_juyvin_83guyvin_juyvin_83 Joined: Posts: 21
    Going to add pics shortly so it's easier to understand
  • jopamojopamo Stuck in Silly-con Valley Joined: Posts: 355
    edited March 10
    Welcome to SRK Tech Talk. Please ask all questions in THIS thread going forward. Thanks!

Voila. Let me guess...got a Samsung? Best option for good video quality out of a PS2 is component (YPbPr), so looks like you are in luck. Just make sure to set that output in the PS2 system config.

What's the audio situation look like? Got red/white rca inputs on that TV, or a 3.5mm headphone input? If it's the latter you'll need another adapter. Like THIS.

Or perhaps the two 3.5mm inputs are neighbors:
    THIS

Oh...make sure to have THIS first.
    Post edited by jopamo on
  • AlphaCharlieAlphaCharlie Joined: Posts: 888
    edited March 10
    Hi guys,
    Sorry if this seems like a dumbarse question but I've hounded the net and cannot find an answer i feel like I'm going out of my friggin mind :sweat:

Ok, so I got my old ps2 out as I just bought a may flash universal arcade stick (it's not bad actually) and i realise I only had a ps2 to composite leads (red yellow white) and a scart adapter. So either way I can can connect the 3 composite leads directly to my HDTV or I can put them into a small scart adapter and into the scart port on my tv. This is working but my ps2 quality had that blurred look.

Here's the confusing and annoying part. I am aware that COMPONENT (red green blue) is better than composite and that component for a ps2 is pretty much the same as hdmi. Correct? However my tv does not have a component input (red green blue.... white red, these 2 being audio i beleive). However I am aware that the component is YPBPR and my tv does have a single port for this ypbpr but no other component inputs .

I've added pics. Very confused. I could just buy a ps2 to hdmi converter for about £12 but I've got component cables on the way.

You could get a component-to-HDMI converter. Plug PS2 component cables in and output to HDMI. Plenty of adapters for this out there. Just don't be a fool and blow $85 or more, when much cheaper adapters for the same output quality exist.

Like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Portta-PETRHP-Component-Converter-support/dp/B003VJ9RP6
    or
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FX9D57W?psc=1

Just make sure you change the video output in the PS2's video menu to output in component first.

edited March 10
    The quality of the video output using one of those Component-to-HDMI converters is solely reliant on the quality of the processing chip inside those boxes. For $20, you ain't getting state-of-the art, like a Framemeister. :wink:
    I did that with my Wii and the result wasn't great. Switched to component cables and it was better. I say let the TV (or even AVR) do the Analog-to-Digital processing...chances are the processing will be loads better than those lil' mystery boxes
    edited March 10
    Guys, the detail yous are going into is great and I totally respect it. Yet I'm still a bit confused.

Its a bush tv btw. Here's the pics from imgur so we don't get crossed wires (shameless pun). Fml.

http://imgur.com/eUCH3Nh

http://imgur.com/NG6igJF

http://imgur.com/FQJ7GQ5

http://imgur.com/Qp1TFd5

If what the other members are saying is my solution then I'lI read the above posts again and work it out rather than confusing the situation more.

And yes the ps2 to component is on its way
    :
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142299368256

Thanks again.
    edited March 10
    dbl5ya.jpg

2meznk4.jpg
  • MonkeyGovernorMonkeyGovernor Joined: Posts: 146
    edited March 10
    Looking at the model of TV you have it does have component. But you need a 3.5mm to Component adapter. A lot of TVs that still have component inputs use these adapters nowadays:

hama-adapter-lead-3.5mm-to-3-x-rca-component-yuv-for-samsung-led-tv-s-1259-p.jpg

I have a newer LG OLED and it has a 3.5mm component input.
    edited March 10
    Hey Jopamo thanks.

So this little green fella goes into the single input of the ypbpr:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SAMSUNG-COMPONENT-ADAPTOR-CABLE-BN39-01154C/dp/B005LC74EC

Then I connect the male component leads into those females above. And the other red/white component leads into the red/white composite ? Is that possible because there's no other coloured input other than the composite red white yellow.

There is a little audio port next to the ypbpr port. So would i need that adapter too?

If so, for the price of component cables, and 2 adapters plus p&p; wouldn't it be easier and cheaper buying a ps2 to hdmi converter? I only paid a couple of £ for the component leads so don't mind cutting my losses.

Update :

Other posts came through as i was typing. Thanks Jopamo for pics it's cleared a lot of things up.

Is the component audio ok to plug into the composite on back of my tv?
    edited March 10
    The 3.5mm port next to the component is for headphones, hence audio out. You don't want that.
    Check your TV's manual if video and audio inputs can be toggled/mixed. The red and white rca might be the easiest bet, but might be tied to the yellow rca-in. Also, PC Audio might be only tied to another input (like the VGA).

If both or either of the audio inputs are not linked to a specificvideo input and can be linked to the component video input in the TV's menu system, then you are golden.

Thanks, I don't have the manual as i bought it a few yrs ago but I found it online and looking at the section it looks like the video and audio can be separated. I think.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/970523/Bush-Bmkdvd40.html?page=12#manual

I might just buy the adapter below as it's cheap enough and hopefully I can connect the audio to the section you outlined.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231822760868

Hopefully it's all I need thanks
    edited March 10
    Yup. From the looks of it (TV manual), PC Audio is tied to VGA. However, the Red and White audio input can be tied to either component or composite video inputs. All you need is the component adapter that I linked to earlier (or another like it from another retailer).

Now remember to set video output to component instead of rgb in the PS2 sys config menu. If you have no video when everything is connected...then just follow the steps in THIS link.

Good luck!
    Post edited by jopamo on

Thanks man, that link may come in handy. I've seen the ps2 component setup before but didn't realise there could be manual steps like that to troubleshoot.

The ebay link I posted on here for the adapter you'll notice on their ebay pic they've put 'ycbcr' :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231822760868

Yet the one underneath states both ypbpr and ycbcr :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171776686313

Should i just go for the cheaper of the cables although googling there is a difference between between the two types. Or is the first ebay link misleading etc...
    edited March 10
    YCbCr= digital component
    YPbPr= analog component
    In the end, either adapter should work. The PS2-to-TV feed will be analog (based on the cables you purchased), but the PS2 doesn't discriminate. Take a look:
    DSC05156.JPG

• Feargus001100Feargus001100 Joined: Posts: 974
    Why not just run RGB SCART? Have you tried that route yet? What did you mean when you said in the OP that you had a SCART adapter?

I'm sure @Darksakul could drop his $0.02 on this too.

Here're a few high quality RGB SCART cable sources:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/161889110228

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sony-playstation-1-2-ps1-ps2-rgb-scart-cable-lead
    #MAS_Preservation_Society
    edited March 10
    For PS2, YPbPr>RGB SCART (for progressive output games),
    though RGB SCART>YPbPr (for interlaced output games)
    http://m.imgur.com/Qp1TFd5

Feargus, This ^ is the scart adapter thing I was talking about. Its basically my ps2 composite wires but go into a scart plug. I've actually got a scart input AND a red white yellow on the back of my tv. I could've plugged the ps2 wire into either one. I just know (ive read) that component or a ps2-to-hdmi converter would be a better choice.
    See? This is why I only mess with the Sega Dreamcast. 480p via VGA for most games (and all of the ones I own)!

Then we get this awesome shit like THIS from Turkey!
  • Feargus001100Feargus001100 Joined: Posts: 974
    http://m.imgur.com/Qp1TFd5

Feargus, This ^ is the scart adapter thing I was talking about. Its basically my ps2 composite wires but go into a scart plug. I've actually got a scart input AND a red white yellow on the back of my tv. I could've plugged the ps2 wire into either one. I just know (ive read) that component or a ps2-to-hdmi converter would be a better choice.

Yep that will give you a terrible image quality. :disappointed:

I think you will be very impressed with the picture quality if you run the PS2 to your TV's SCART input port via a true RGB SCART cable, like the ones I linked to you.
    #MAS_Preservation_Society
    edited March 11
    jopamo wrote: »
    The quality of the video output using one of those Component-to-HDMI converters is solely reliant on the quality of the processing chip inside those boxes. For $20, you ain't getting state-of-the art, like a Framemeister. :wink:

Converting signals like this properly doesn't require expensive, state-of-the-art tech. Thats why there are so many inexpensive boxes out there with excellent reviews.

I know it's not the same as component but, i have an SVideo-to-HDMI converter i use for my Sega Saturn for example. Only cost about $20 as well. Works great in converting the S-Video signal to output through HDMI. Which looks great and much better than my Saturn did with normal composite.

I did that with my Wii and the result wasn't great. Switched to component cables and it was better. I say let the TV (or even AVR) do the Analog-to-Digital processing...chances are the processing will be loads better than those lil' mystery boxes

You were probably using a composite-to-HDMI converter for Wii then. Ofcourse composite won't look as good as component on an HDTV.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 19,767
    edited March 11

Converting signals like this properly doesn't require expensive, state-of-the-art tech. Thats why there are so many inexpensive boxes out there with excellent reviews.

I know it's not the same as component but, i have an SVideo-to-HDMI converter i use for my Sega Saturn for example. Only cost about $20 as well. Works great in converting the S-Video signal to output through HDMI. Which looks great and much better than my Saturn did with normal composite.

That $20 converter you are talking about is complete garbage. I tried adapters like those, they do the job of image signal conversion but the quality of the image would be horrendous.
    You may as well use composite video (Yellow RCA plug) to a HD TV. Not to mention cheap converters will add a minimum of 2 frames of lag.
    Converting signals like this properly doesn't require expensive, state-of-the-art tech.
    You really get what you pay for with Video Equipment. And yes converting a video signal properly, without noise or visual artifacts and without lag is not cheap.
    I say let the TV (or even AVR) do the Analog-to-Digital processing...chances are the processing will be loads better than those lil' mystery boxes
    It really depends on the TV it self. The older HT TVs with Analog Pass though do a better Job than those who lack analog pass though, as the TV Set was intended to handle Analog signals.

What seems to be much more promising than Framemeister is the OSSC, which lacks the 2 frames of lag and has no frame buffer to cause lag. The OSSC works on scan line by scan line and not frame by frame.
    The OSSC works by Line doubling, trippling video. The OSSC accepts RGBs as well as RGsB so that the PS2 can output 480p via Scart and the device will accept the signals. The OSSC also does not lose signal when their is a resolution change, which plagues a number of PS2 and Saturn games with the Framemeister. Anyone who tried to play Cronocross on the PS2 with the Framemister will tell you (game play is in 240p but the pause menu is 480i). The one flaw of the OSSC is that how interlace looks, as interlace has a weird side effect when it's line doubled giving the image a comb effect. To be fair Interlace video has the same sidee ffect on most HDTVs.

Example of combing effect of Interlace video on a progressive display
    Interlace.jpg

The Framemister avoids the issue by processing both frames of Interlace for a perfect progressive image at the cost of 2 frames of lag.
    Never pay double the retail price
    More examples of the different video scanning

InterlaceProgressive10hz.gif
    Here is a simulation of each scan type, slowed down so the human eye can see what going on.
    The Progressive image is flickering as with Interlace, a video image is drawn from top to bottom, a fast enough camera can catch the progressive video scan being drawn in.
    This draw or fill time is what a Leo bodnar video lag tester actually looks for to measure input lag.
    Interlace draws each frame skipping every odd line, and the next frame skips every even line.

Interlacingani3.gif
    Here is another simulation of each scan type.
    Whats not been seen on the last frame Deinterlace via interpolation) needs 2 frames of video (both the even and odd number Scan lines to create a single frame of Progressive video.
    Hence a major source for input lag. Great for Movie/TV show watching, terrible for any gaming.
    edited March 11
    Darksakul wrote: »
    It really depends on the TV it self. The older HT TVs with Analog Pass though do a better Job than those who lack analog pass though, as the TV Set was intended to handle Analog signals.

My TV is a Samsung KS8000, so analog pass-thru is probably a no go. I have everything shot to my Marantz AVR. Here's to hoping the "Game Mode" video output setting on this receiver isn't just BS.
    What seems to be much more promising than Framemeister is the OSSC

Agreed. I've been eyeing that thing for quite a while. I was wondering how it (with line doubling) would look like when connected to the Akura box I linked earlier. Then... I realized that I wasn't rich. ha!
    I'll wait for someone with loot to post a review of that setup on Youtube.
    edited March 12
    That $20 converter you are talking about is complete garbage. I tried adapters like those, they do the job of image signal conversion but the quality of the image would be horrendous.
    You may as well use composite video (Yellow RCA plug) to a HD TV. Not to mention cheap converters will add a minimum of 2 frames of lag.

As usual, you take this way too seriously.

Not everybody is looking for "Tournament-worthy-frameperfect- OMG" Quality. We're just looking to connect our retro systems to modern TVs with the best quality picture, without getting too crazy about it.

After gaming on my saturn for months using composite, my S-Video-to-HDMI converter was a pretty nice step up in quality and has no lag that i can see.
    edited March 12
    Or maybe people have different tolerance levels for shit-quality video output (esp. when spending a bit more coin removes that from the equation). My tolerance level is quite low, yours may be higher.

When it comes down to it, it's all a matter of preference. If it doesn't bother someone at $20, then.. awesome!
    Many of those $20 budget converters makes many games unplayable. If it isn't the crap quality the input lag makes the game littearly unplayable.
    edited March 13
    Or maybe people have different tolerance levels for shit-quality video output (esp. when spending a bit more coin removes that from the equation). My tolerance level is quite low, yours may be higher.

When it comes down to it, it's all a matter of preference. If it doesn't bother someone at $20, then.. awesome!

Like i said, i gamed on composite for a good bit. So when i finally got a SVideo-to-HDMI converter to use with my Saturn, i saw the quality improvement right away. I would have noticed if picture quality was inferior to composite or glitchy.

For the record, i'm sure there is probably a way to get even better quality out of the Saturn, using Scart adapters/RGB/Etc. For the price and ease of use(Saturn supports S-Video output out of the box), this was a nice and simple solution to upgrade from composite.

Many of those $20 budget converters makes many games unplayable. If it isn't the crap quality the input lag makes the game littearly unplayable.

Unplayable? lol. Again, you're taking this waaaaay too seriously. I can play games like fighters and shooters on my Saturn with no problems.

Now is it 100%, tournament-worthy, lag-free down to the .0001 nanosecond? I don't know.

I'm sure if i analyzed every frame with a magnifying glass, i could probably detect some millisecond delay or whatever. But it's just not that big of a deal.
    Just because it's "good enough" for you does not mean it is or should be acceptable for anyone else.
  • MoonchildeMoonchilde Resident tech talk double poster Joined: Posts: 4,824
    Oh man, not touching this poop...
    Lol there's some deep tech talk goin on. Thanks for the extra input guys.

AlphaCharlie I have a saturn too which I need to set up soon. The svideo to hdmi is this not just a connection ? As in you only get svideo quality but get to connect it through a hdmi port (for use of modern input)... I just never knew the saturn could stretch past a certain quality.

Thats why for the ps2 people advised me on ypbpr rgb component cable instead of a 'ps2 to hdmi converter' as it would be the same quality.

Thought this would be the same for saturn?

Darksakul , whats your recommendation for connecting a saturn to my tv? I mean no crazy prices I'm willing to accept a slight loss in image if it's gonna be £££££ .

AlphaCharlie I have a saturn too which I need to set up soon. The svideo to hdmi is this not just a connection ? As in you only get svideo quality but get to connect it through a hdmi port (for use of modern input)... I just never knew the saturn could stretch past a certain quality.

Thats why for the ps2 people advised me on ypbpr rgb component cable instead of a 'ps2 to hdmi converter' as it would be the same quality.

Darksakul , whats your recommendation for connecting a saturn to my tv? I mean no crazy prices I'm willing to accept a slight loss in image if it's gonna be £££££ .

I don't mean to scare you or mean you have to spend big bucks. I just don't want to have peoples expectations to be let down with cheaper devices.

Component pbpr or RGB cables are the best you can get out of your PS2. Unless you can get a device that can do sync on Green stick to PbPr to HDMI.
    If the device can do Sync on green RGB Scart cables aren't bad as for some reason 480p on the PS2 via Scart only works with Sync on Green.
    The Component PbPr cable sidesteps the issue.
    edited March 13

This is what i have:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FEO58G8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019T0WFA4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Simple plug & play set-up. Outputs S-Video signal through an HDMI connection and looks a lot better than connecting with composite. You could probably do nicely with a cheaper box but, that's what i have. I don't know if higher quality can be achieved but, Saturn can do S-Video out of the box. You just need a Saturn S-Video cable like what i linked too.
    So ignoring the debate with Capt stupid I going to leave this link to an article I found just for F.Y.I. reasons

Written by Retro Gaming Cables, but brought to my attention my Stoneage Gamer.

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/SCART-TO-HDMI-CONVERTERS-TO-AVOID

I feel this would apply to other video HDMI converters as well.
  • Evolution169Evolution169 Wake up DP is unbeatable Joined: Posts: 986
    edited March 16
    The OP ordered a £2 component cable. He probably doesn't care too much about how good it looks.
    The OP ordered a £2 component cable. He probably doesn't care too much about how good it looks.

LOL. Good point ;-)

Well hopefully other people who read the thread would get some good advice and what to avoid.
    The reason i ordered a £2 ps2 to component cable is because I had read elsewhere that the component cable would deliver the max image quality from a ps2 as it was an old machine.

And reading Jopamo 's replies, i gathered this was the best way.
    edited 1:12AM
    Component cable IS the best way for good picture quality from a PS2.
    However, as with all analog video cables, it usually pays (pun very much intended) to get a good quality cable.
    A good quality analog video cable usually costs more than what you paid. Is your cable shit? No clue.

The thinking here was that the low cost of your purchased cable denoted a lack of that "quality."
    Post edited by jopamo at
    My experiences lead me to believe you get what you paid for.
    Those stupid cheap made cables aren't worth the purchase.

And a £2 video cable is going to be cheaply made, poor construction, only a few strands in each wire, ect.

Also RGB is a superior format to YPbPr as YPbPr does have some compression going on. RGB it self is a lossless format.
    The only flaw is with the PS2 is that RGB at 480p only comes as Sync on green.