Noodalls input lag testing (unique method - games/controllers/etc) (MVCI X1/PS4 demo added)

2»

Comments

  • noodallsnoodalls Joined: Posts: 408
    Put simply, I have posted the results for the controller plus game put together.


    In all of my tests for different controllers (except for the WiiU/Wii and in the future possibly the switch) I used Blazblue (normally Blazblue CPE, but BBCS for x360 as that is the title that I own). Assuming that the game doesn't respond differently to different controllers, then the only difference between different tests should be due to the controller.

  • LagmanLagman Joined: Posts: 4
    Thank you for reply, man.

    By the way, I also watched a vid on network & input delay, recently. It seemed to me modern games are maybe purposefully introducing native game lag so as to make offline and online play feel about the same.

    This was the vid:


    If this is true, do you think older era fighting games (SNES to ps2) had much lower native lag? Do you plan on ever testing these older fighting games to compare, if the additional time and money investment is not a problem for you?
  • comoesacomoesa not too bad.. Joined: Posts: 1,168
    Quick question, Noodalls when doing your testing do you have the 'sharp' setting on your monitors set to 0/off?
    FOREVER NEVERMORE
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,406
    comoesa wrote: »
    Quick question, Noodalls when doing your testing do you have the 'sharp' setting on your monitors set to 0/off?

    Most people have any kind of post processing off, or at least as much as possible.
    I think its best to leave the sharp setting off.
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • comoesacomoesa not too bad.. Joined: Posts: 1,168
    Darksakul wrote: »
    comoesa wrote: »
    Quick question, Noodalls when doing your testing do you have the 'sharp' setting on your monitors set to 0/off?

    Most people have any kind of post processing off, or at least as much as possible.
    I think its best to leave the sharp setting off.

    Yeah, Noodalls probably has it off when doing his testing but a lot of people think the sharp setting is the same as the sharp setting on a CRT without realizing it's just more post processing.
    FOREVER NEVERMORE
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,406
    comoesa wrote: »
    Darksakul wrote: »
    comoesa wrote: »
    Quick question, Noodalls when doing your testing do you have the 'sharp' setting on your monitors set to 0/off?

    Most people have any kind of post processing off, or at least as much as possible.
    I think its best to leave the sharp setting off.

    Yeah, Noodalls probably has it off when doing his testing but a lot of people think the sharp setting is the same as the sharp setting on a CRT without realizing it's just more post processing.

    CRT is a different beast as it's all analog. And there is very little to no delay in analog signals. Many fans of Retro gaming still rely on CRTs for this reason.
    Like their is a way to intentionally delay a signal in analog circuitry, its used in live broadcasts to allow time to put in censorship beeps to cover up fowl language.
    But nothing like that in a CRT Display.

    In Digital, signals need time to process. And the more tasks you put on the longer that signal is going to get processed.
    Its why for the longest time Modern Console players used Ether Cheaper HD TVs or PC monitors for game play. The newer wave of HDTVs finally have the processing time to negate some of that lag time.
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • noodallsnoodalls Joined: Posts: 408
    comoesa wrote: »
    Quick question, Noodalls when doing your testing do you have the 'sharp' setting on your monitors set to 0/off?

    The way my setup is the monitor settings should have no effect on the results.
    Lagman wrote: »

    If this is true, do you think older era fighting games (SNES to ps2) had much lower native lag? Do you plan on ever testing these older fighting games to compare, if the additional time and money investment is not a problem for you?

    So, the way my system works is to interrupt one or both of the blue and red components of component cable. This doesn't work in the same way for composite signals when I've tried it, so I can't simply test on old systems. It would be easy enough to apply my technique to the audio lines, however every time I've tried this there is poor sync between the audio and video with various capture devices, so I've given up on that for now.
  • RufusRufus An unexpected database error has occurred. Joined: Posts: 1,966
    edited August 4
    Lagman wrote: »
    ...
    This was the vid:...
    If this is true, do you think older era fighting games (SNES to ps2) had much lower native lag? Do you plan on ever testing these older fighting games to compare, if the additional time and money investment is not a problem for you?

    I tested several versions of SF2 Super Turbo. A generation after the PS2.

    http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/81717/comparison-of-hdr-versions-ps3-360-dc-cps2/p4

    NKI tested Capcom Classics collection on the PS2 as a frame slower than the Dreamcast.

    Hitboxes http://www.pedantic.org/~nate/HDR/
    "You don't know what you're talking about as much as I do." -- Unknown
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,406
    Rufus wrote: »
    Lagman wrote: »
    ...
    This was the vid:...
    If this is true, do you think older era fighting games (SNES to ps2) had much lower native lag? Do you plan on ever testing these older fighting games to compare, if the additional time and money investment is not a problem for you?

    I tested several versions of SF2 Super Turbo. A generation after the PS2.

    http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/81717/comparison-of-hdr-versions-ps3-360-dc-cps2/p4

    NKI tested Capcom Classics collection on the PS2 as a frame slower than the Dreamcast.

    The Dreamcast is closer to the native arcade hardware, PS2 uses oddly exotic hardware.

    Also did you use a Phat or Slim PS2, as they have some major serious hardware revisions?

    The older Phat PS2 consoles did more in hardware and has dedicated hardware for rendering and effects.
    PS2 Slim has a more powerful CPU and more Ram but did alot of the same rendering and effects in software that been written to a chip on the main logic board.
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • RufusRufus An unexpected database error has occurred. Joined: Posts: 1,966
    noodalls wrote: »
    ...
    So, the way my system works is to interrupt one or both of the blue and red components of component cable. This doesn't work in the same way for composite signals when I've tried it, so I can't simply test on old systems. It would be easy enough to apply my technique to the audio lines, however every time I've tried this there is poor sync between the audio and video with various capture devices, so I've given up on that for now.

    If you want to go down that rabbit hole, NTSC overlay stuff should be reasonably easy to get or build. Alternatively you can try a low pass filter (2-2.5Mhz) to strip the color out of the signal.
    Also did you use a Phat or Slim PS2, as they have some major serious hardware revisions?

    I don't recall doing PS2 testing. That was NKI.
    Hitboxes http://www.pedantic.org/~nate/HDR/
    "You don't know what you're talking about as much as I do." -- Unknown
  • LagmanLagman Joined: Posts: 4
    Sadly the forum link in NKI's youtube vid is broken and not working anymore. Would be nice to know what stick PCB he used in his tests.

    And thank you for the links, Rufus. Awesome stuff.
  • Shin_KazShin_Kaz Joined: Posts: 206
    Very interesting stuff!
    So on the UFB the mode you're recommanding for PC is 360 ? just wondering.
    thanks for your hard work :)
  • noodallsnoodalls Joined: Posts: 408
    Shin_Kaz wrote: »
    Very interesting stuff!
    So on the UFB the mode you're recommanding for PC is 360 ? just wondering.
    thanks for your hard work :)

    I used X360 mode of UFB on PC only because it is the default mode, so I assumed most people plugging in controllers would be using that.
  • ShinMagusShinMagus Joined: Posts: 396 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Hmmm. In my experience the mode that's auto-detected on the PC is the XboxOne mode, not the Xbox360...
    Magus
    12000 B.C. - Dark Ages
    "The black wind begins to blow..."
    "Can you hear that? It's the sound of the Reaper."
  • noodallsnoodalls Joined: Posts: 408
    You are probably right. I'll go back and double check when I redo the PC tests.
  • jopamojopamo Stuck in Silly-con Valley Joined: Posts: 988
    ShinMagus wrote: »
    Hmmm. In my experience the mode that's auto-detected on the PC is the XboxOne mode, not the Xbox360...

    Yup. Just confirmed.
2»
Sign In or Register to comment.