Disgusting local foods

KeckaKecka Psycho Crushing that bootyJoined: Posts: 1,556
Inspired by the various food-related arguments we've been having lately, I decided to go the opposite direction and race you to the bottom.

1429282-vt_surstromming.jpg

This is surströmming. Translated it would be sour herring. It is fermented herring that is kept just on the edge of being rotten for at least six months, and usually about a year. The Japanese have studied it and come to the conclusion that opening a can of this shit is among the most pungent food odors in the world. A German food critic supposedly said that the trick to eating it is to vomit after the last bite, rather than the first. The fermentation process is sometimes so extreme the cans just spontaneously explode, which has caused certain airlines to ban travelers from having cans of surströmming in their luggage. A German landlord kicked a tenant out for opening a can indoors, and won in court when he opened a can in the courtroom to prove how horrible the smell was and that he was not just culturally insensitive. For some reason, there are people who go nuts for this shit, despite the fact it smells like someone died of something related to explosive diarrhea and then stewed in it for a year or so.

This is a challenge, SRK. Show me your local cuisine can produce anything worse.
SFV: Gief, Bison
Xrd: Fucking nobody and everybody, but I like Elphelt, Sin, Raven and Ramlethal a little more than others
Garou: Grant, Butt
KI: Riptor, Aganos

Comments

• KeckaKecka Psycho Crushing that booty Joined: Posts: 1,556
    edited March 15
    Blindknagg wrote: »
    Turn in your Swede card and migrate to Denmark :mad:

Dude, we have scientific data that proves it smells worse than actual shit! I have no idea what compelled ancient Swedes to eat that shit (though I would guess fungi or copious amounts of alcohol would be involved) but when you have scientists go "the readings indicate this smells like rancid butthole" you probably shouldn't be putting it in your mouth.

At least Denmark just has disgusting sausages, chocolate on sandwiches and over-hyped beer.
    Xrd: Fucking nobody and everybody, but I like Elphelt, Sin, Raven and Ramlethal a little more than others
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 21,581
    Looking though this article of the most disgusting food in America by State, we got nothing

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/worst-foods-to-eat-states

My home of Maryland got Ham stuffed with Greens, it's not even that offensive.
    I think the 2 nastiest on the list is Geoduck and St. Louis style Pizza (Fuck Missouri).
    People from Vermont just want to die, Hello Vermont its called Pasteurization, learn what the fuck it means.
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • NickRocksNickRocks SATSUI NO SABU Joined: Posts: 22,516
    Darksakul wrote: »
    (Fuck Missouri)..

youre a good man. you have replaced joshkaz on my list
    King of the Post-09ers
    Last of the Prembers, R.I.P. my nibbas
    Maximilian is a racist thief
    https://clips.twitch.tv/maximilian_dood/DifferentBeeHeyGuys
    NickRocks wrote: »
    (Fuck Missouri)..

youre a good man. you have replaced joshkaz on my list

Is this complement or insult?

And I say Fuck Missouri as I been there, I though that the deep south had rednecks, No go Midwest.
    There are legit businesses when I been their last that was located off dirt roads Dukes of Hazard style, so backwatter that they read the obituaries on FM radio.
  • NickRocksNickRocks SATSUI NO SABU Joined: Posts: 22,516
    bro im going to one of those towns tomorrow to try and see my oldest daughter from her CLiNT of a mother. i know all about that shitty state unfortunately, lived there for 3 years.

not to derail this thread
    King of the Post-09ers
    Last of the Prembers, R.I.P. my nibbas
    Maximilian is a racist thief
    https://clips.twitch.tv/maximilian_dood/DifferentBeeHeyGuys
  • regulateregulate Bruv of bruvs Joined: Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Damn Epi beat me to the punch
    Never forget:
    Boel wrote: »
    phantom angel the kinda guy that eats a roll of dental floss so that he can slowly come to a shuddering climax as he pulls it out his ass

• ExposedDExposedD Persona 5 Joined: Posts: 6,229
    Persona 5
    edited March 16
    The hell you talking about Zoo, did you read the theme of this thread? Did you read the OP?
    This stuff actually looks good.
  • GreenwoodGreenwood Earth, the only true God Joined: Posts: 881
    Here is a list of awful food from around the world. There is only one American entry; "Stink head" from Alaska, which is essentially fermented salmon heads.

http://www.culinaryschools.org/cuisine/10-disgusting-delicacies/

I think #3 is the winner.
    SFV: CamCam Inj2: CawCaw
    Casu Marzu is the worst and the only one outlawed on that list.
  • CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 1,990
    Greenwood wrote: »
    Here is a list of awful food from around the world. There is only one American entry; "Stink head" from Alaska, which is essentially fermented salmon heads.

Here in Argentina some people eat pork heads, and their feet are used in soups. Roasted cow small intestines (chinchulines) are extremely popular, most asados have them. Seasoned tongues, stomachs (mondongo), brains, udders, hearts, we waste nothing. Carnivorous country, this one.
  • Tekno VirusTekno Virus small man big strength Joined: Posts: 8,565
    Disgusting local food? White people food (excluding Texas BBQ or Cajun), #racist
    The Gates of Creation are manifold. I vow to enter them all.
    Dellusions are inexhaustible.
    I vow to end them all.
    Sentient beings are numberless.
    I vow to save them all.

The Kree Way is SUPREME.
  • J-rideJ-ride OG Member Joined: Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited March 17
    I've heard Surstromming is one of the most disgusting things you can eat, I was never interested in trying it.

I had Durian, it's not that bad. You just have to get over the fact that you are eating a fruit with an odd texture that tastes like onions and old cheese.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian

I tried A-ping(fried tarantula) in Cambodia, it wasn't that bad if you didn't think about what you were eating. I didn't eat the abdomen, just the head and body. It was kind of bland. The abdomen has intestines, fecal matter and spider eggs. I didn't want to try it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fried_spider

Woman was created for our destruction, and it is from her we inherit all of our miseries.

Aramis from The Three Musketeers
  • ManxManx Do yo feet stink? Joined: Posts: 22,025 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Kecka wrote: »
    A German food critic supposedly said that the trick to eating it is to vomit after the last bite, rather than the first.

He's right. That way you will have something to eat that will overpower the inevitably awful taste of that canned slop. :rofl:

:tup:
    ... and I'm out like I stole somethin'
    SRK thieves lasted about 5 mins until "tha man" locked me up. Even on SRK a thief's gotta hit the underground!
    "So I just realized the crip walk is just black people's version of the riverdance." - Havatchu
    "Brittany Spears gave me a leg job in an Alabama gas station bathroom" - Shaft Agent

My blog, where I write like it means something or some shit: http://manxbladesake.wordpress.com/
    Official 'Kevin Witness'
    Achievement unlocked! Offered drugs to a SRKer in real life
    edited March 17
    Cronopio wrote: »

Here in Argentina some people eat pork heads, and their feet are used in soups. Roasted cow small intestines (chinchulines) are extremely popular, most asados have them. Seasoned tongues, stomachs (mondongo), brains, udders, hearts, we waste nothing. Carnivorous country, this one.

All the foods you're talking about are delicious.

SRK thieves lasted about 5 mins until "tha man" locked me up. Even on SRK a thief's gotta hit the underground!
    "So I just realized the crip walk is just black people's version of the riverdance." - Havatchu
    "Brittany Spears gave me a leg job in an Alabama gas station bathroom" - Shaft Agent

My blog, where I write like it means something or some shit: http://manxbladesake.wordpress.com/
    Official 'Kevin Witness'
  • BullDancerBullDancer Mentos, The Freshmaker Joined: Posts: 9,366
    Manx wrote: »
    Cronopio wrote: »

All the foods you're talking about are delicious.

I'm nonhispanic and ate all of those things. I stay away from pork these days because my body doesn't handle pork eating well.
    My discord didn't work out, quick say something funny so I can add you in the sig!
    Disgusting local food? White people food (excluding Texas BBQ or Cajun), #racist
    Did you just call cajun food, white people food? Ethnicities from around the world contributed to Cajun culture and is not all French.
    J-ride wrote: »
    I've heard Surstromming is one of the most disgusting things you can eat, I was never interested in trying it

To be honest, the taste isn't horrible. Then again, I'm Scandinavian and have been raised on pickled herring (which is fucking amazing). The issue is that the smell is so goddamn overpowering it is impossible to taste anything. Sealing that smell for so long means the fish is nose-fucking you to death whether you want to or not.
  • odinodin is october coming? Joined: Posts: 15,208 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Yea being polish, we love herring. Have entire grocery aisles dedicated to it.
    But only pickled... Not that moldy mush the Stockholmers are eating.
    edited March 17
    Naeras wrote: »
    Surströmming is banned from certain airlines and is illegal in every country in the EU except for Sweden.
    Now you are just making up stuff. No actual country bans Surströmming from sale. Airliners baning the fish from being on board is not the law of the land.

I am sure maggot filled "Cheese" that can kill you literally is far worst from smelly fermented fish.

I can buy Surströmming in the United States off Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/Oskars-Surströmming-300g-surstromming-challenge/dp/B01N9TDOXL
  • FrostyAUFrostyAU Lynx in your sinks Joined: Posts: 7,594
    edited March 17
    Most of our local stuff is pretty delicious. Had some Americans go what the hell but it's nothing like the OP.

Few examples,

Beef pie. I know you had pot pies and stuff but it's like, we'll put bacon bits and onion in it and potato with melted cheese on top and all sorts of things. It's basically our hotdog.

Beef sausage with onion in a slice of bread with ketchup. Sometimes people will put coleslaw on it.

We sometimes put egg on pizza.

Crumbed chicken shallow fried with pizza sauce and melted cheese grilled over it, sometimes ham pieces or bacon.

Various different ways of doing a lamb chop, like a lamb steak basically barbecued with salt, garlic, pepper and onion commonly.

You know other less common local stuff like barramundi, roos, rock lobster, abalone... nothing too extreme. I guess there is bush food like witchetty grubs but no one seriously sits down and eats a meal out of that, even natives don't it's just for tourists.

Did you just call cajun food, white people food? Ethnicities from around the world contributed to Cajun culture and is not all French.

23e5ff9f2e6d9280317700b49b6a2fad9cab31a7_hq.gif

GOMEN NA SAI!
    I vow to end them all.
    I vow to save them all.

The Kree Way is SUPREME.
  • NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,177
    Surströmming is banned from certain airlines and is illegal in every country in the EU except for Sweden.
    Now you are just making up stuff. No actual country bans Surströmming from sale. Airliners baning the fish from being on board is not the law of the land.

I am sure maggot filled "Cheese" that can kill you literally is far worst from smelly fermented fish.

https://www.amazon.com/Oskars-Surströmming-300g-surstromming-challenge/dp/B01N9TDOXL

No, I'm serious.
    Granted, the official reason is that the fish is in violation of EU food safety regulation, but let's not kid ourselves; this shit cannot be imported to the EU because it is fucking disgusting, not because of the dioxin/PCB-levels.

The deadly maggot cheese being even worse is one thing, I was just addressing your claim that Casu Marzu was the only one that wasn't legal =V

No, I'm serious.
    Granted, the official reason is that the fish is in violation of EU food safety regulation, but let's not kid ourselves; this shit cannot be imported to the EU because it is fucking disgusting, not because of the dioxin/PCB-levels.

The deadly maggot cheese being even worse is one thing, I was just addressing your claim that Casu Marzu was the only one that wasn't legal =V

None of what you posted showed a EU food ban on the Fish.
  • NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,177
    edited March 17
    I never claimed it was banned. I claimed it was in violation with EU regulations on PCB- and dioxin-concentrations in food, and thus isn't legal to import to (or make in) other EU-countries than Sweden.

No, I'm serious.

None of what you posted showed a EU food ban on the Fish.

It's not actually a ban on it, per se. It's that due to the preparation process, it ends up having a higher concentration of certain substances than is permitted by EU law, so it became illegal by default. Sweden were given an exception after some rather heavy lobbying, so it's only illegal to sell and manufacture in any other EU country. But due to the open market this ends up being rather inconsequential since they can't legally prevent the export of it out of Sweden. It's actually relatively common for traditional cuisine that technically breaks EU safety regulations. Sweden also got a similar deal for snus, which is tobacco you put under your lip, though that's actually more harshly regulated due to being nicotine (and also because some nations have a hard time distinguishing it from drugs or some kind of super-nicotine, as my friend could attest after he got caught with a few boxes at the Indian border).

I could probably post some citations, but unfortunately all the sources I have on hand are in Swedish because we're the only ones who give a fuck.
  • Captain RyuCaptain Ryu Scoot Magee Joined: Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited March 17
    Kecka wrote: »
    Inspired by the various food-related arguments we've been having lately, I decided to go the opposite direction and race you to the bottom.

1429282-vt_surstromming.jpg

This is surströmming. Translated it would be sour herring. It is fermented herring that is kept just on the edge of being rotten for at least six months, and usually about a year. The Japanese have studied it and come to the conclusion that opening a can of this shit is among the most pungent food odors in the world. A German food critic supposedly said that the trick to eating it is to vomit after the last bite, rather than the first. The fermentation process is sometimes so extreme the cans just spontaneously explode, which has caused certain airlines to ban travelers from having cans of surströmming in their luggage. A German landlord kicked a tenant out for opening a can indoors, and won in court when he opened a can in the courtroom to prove how horrible the smell was and that he was not just culturally insensitive. For some reason, there are people who go nuts for this shit, despite the fact it smells like someone died of something related to explosive diarrhea and then stewed in it for a year or so.

This is a challenge, SRK. Show me your local cuisine can produce anything worse.

Snakes mom likes to dip short tailed game birds like Quails and other fowl in surstromming.
    CFN ScootMagee
    VASaga wrote: »
    Its 2017, black people need to stop eating chitlins... Leave that slave food back in the 1800's.

Got the nerve to look at me like im crazy when im like ima pass give me a steak or some bacon or anything other than musty pig intestines. I dont care how long ya momma been cooking them

Cultures have been eating intestines the world over for as long as we have had pigs and cows to harvest them from. What do you think those nice expensive sausages are cased in? Also, tripe is fucking delicious. What blacks should do is branch out and eat other types of intestines besides the pig's, like sheep and goat.

Official 'Kevin Witness'
    I tried black sausages when I was in Bavaria, Germany. Eeeewwww Blood Sausages, no thanks. They put blood blocks in Bun Rieu but that stuff tastes alright. If you didn't know what it was, you would think it would be tofu or something.
    I vow to end them all.
    I vow to save them all.

The Kree Way is SUPREME.
  • VASagaVASaga Not Yet Strange! Let Them Wait Joined: Posts: 1,603
    Manx wrote: »
    VASaga wrote: »
    Its 2017, black people need to stop eating chitlins... Leave that slave food back in the 1800's.

Got the nerve to look at me like im crazy when im like ima pass give me a steak or some bacon or anything other than musty pig intestines. I dont care how long ya momma been cooking them

Cultures have been eating intestines the world over for as long as we have had pigs and cows to harvest them from. What do you think those nice expensive sausages are cased in? Also, tripe is fucking delicious. What blacks should do is branch out and eat other types of intestines besides the pig's, like sheep and goat.

Its not my culture to eat the worst cut of meat if there are better things at the table. LOL

Its like me deciding to eat a vienna sausage or potted meat when I can just get a pack of hotdog beef franks instead.lol

"I must have ascended to a higher plane of thinking than most because I play Dr Strange"
  • CronopioCronopio ST Joined: Posts: 1,990
    That's like saying that you should'n eat liver because you could eat steak instead. They have different tastes, you can eat both.
  • VASagaVASaga Not Yet Strange! Let Them Wait Joined: Posts: 1,603
    shitlins is slave food and taste like snot gelatin.

Well if you had a choice between pig anus and a ham sammich, its different tastes but I guess you can eat both! lol
    me, personally give me the honey glazed ham everytime.

I'm always going to choose the better option.

Who the fuck wakes up this day and age and be like damn I sure could go for some pig intestines and hot sauce.

"I must have ascended to a higher plane of thinking than most because I play Dr Strange"