The Wrestling Thread: Say his name. - Clash of Champions 12/17 - Royal Rumble 1/27

Comments

• AYO?!AYO?! Strong Style Hips. Joined: Posts: 19,032
    I've checked out NOAH, Dragongate, and AAA in the past. Usually when they have good periods but lately it has just been NJPW, WWE stuff, and Lucha Underground mixed with old Memphis and Midwest shows I can find.

Sakura Genesis should be cool, will check it out.
    PSN tag: AYO_Merc, XBOne: AYO Merc, Steam: AYO_Merc.
    Lover of all things Jojo's, WRRRRY!
    New AV: Savaii64. Former AV's: Streak, LBC, Csp4here, Tuna Fish Riot, goodm0urning, and Aria.
  • PsychobluePsychoblue the Conductor of the Hype Train Joined: Posts: 2,929

Nakamura seems so toned down though, which annoys me. If anyone has seen his feud with Hirooki Goto over the IC you'll know he can put on a variety of good matches with strong storytelling.
    They had Nakamura go full steam and he caved Austin Aries' face in.

• _Hamsworth__Hamsworth_ Stand-User Joined: Posts: 105
    edited April 6

Haha, does it count when it's unintentional? I was more meaning that a lot of his NXT matches have seemed quite similar in structure. I've still enjoyed them but he should have been having classic matches with Samoa Joe and it never quite reached that level.
    AYO?! wrote: »
    I've checked out NOAH, Dragongate, and AAA in the past. Usually when they have good periods but lately it has just been NJPW, WWE stuff, and Lucha Underground mixed with old Memphis and Midwest shows I can find.

Noah is on the up lately after their rebranding as Noah the Reborn, Nakajima is an awesome champion who carries himself really well. If you can, check out the championship match between him and Takashi Sugiura from January, it's one of the stiffest matches I've ever seen.

Dragongate is great right now too. I've been watching solidly since Kobe World last year. All the Twin Gate title bouts have been amazing since with Jimmy Kagetora and Jimmy Susumu being my favourite tag team from last year. Jimmy Susumu has a title match lined up against Yamato that I can't wait for!

• Geese PantsGeese Pants Certified Geese.... Joined: Posts: 21,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

Naomi's plates in the belt actually GLOOWWW.............

giphy.gif
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

"Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske
  • Mangy_CatMangy_Cat Joined: Posts: 602
    I gotta say, Maryse looked super hot dressed as Nikki Bella.
    "Having big tits because you're fat is like having a fast car because it's falling off a cliff." - Showerthoughts
  • spudlyff8fanspudlyff8fan is love. Joined: Posts: 7,082
    Spoilers from the NXT tapings today:
    Itami seems to be the first post-Shinsuke feud for Bobby Roode and probably will main event the next Takeover. Love it!
  • AYO?!AYO?! Strong Style Hips. Joined: Posts: 19,032
    maxx wrote: »
    I love that he does Rings of Saturn purely to deny the crowds the Red Arrow. He only busts that move out when he absolutely needs to.

Neville gets being a Heel. Great run by him.

flips=face lmfao

Exactly my point Maxxy baby.

How can you tell Randy Orton or HHH are a Face/Heel? The Commentary will tell you.
    PSN tag: AYO_Merc, XBOne: AYO Merc, Steam: AYO_Merc.
    Lover of all things Jojo's, WRRRRY!
    New AV: Savaii64. Former AV's: Streak, LBC, Csp4here, Tuna Fish Riot, goodm0urning, and Aria.
  • dab00gdab00g Joined: Posts: 21,186

Haha, does it count when it's unintentional? I was more meaning that a lot of his NXT matches have seemed quite similar in structure. I've still enjoyed them but he should have been having classic matches with Samoa Joe and it never quite reached that level.

Noah is on the up lately after their rebranding as Noah the Reborn, Nakajima is an awesome champion who carries himself really well. If you can, check out the championship match between him and Takashi Sugiura from January, it's one of the stiffest matches I've ever seen.

Dragongate is great right now too. I've been watching solidly since Kobe World last year. All the Twin Gate title bouts have been amazing since with Jimmy Kagetora and Jimmy Susumu being my favourite tag team from last year. Jimmy Susumu has a title match lined up against Yamato that I can't wait for!

Dragon Gate been fire since the build up to tozawa's farewell

The saddest part of noah getting swooped was the death of noah vs njpw, specifically Nakajima/Shibata

Nakajima is an awesome ace, but i think he would be better served in new japan. Especially with how basically kensuke adopted him. NJPW loves legacy wrestlers.

I want Nakajima to sign with new japan and have a run there.

It is similar to how i feel about Lashley in tna.

Hey we could get Lashley/Nakajima

Or even Nakajima/Johnny Mundo
  • makmak!!!makmak!!! Going Bananas! Joined: Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Still in first page? Subscribed!
    It has to start somewhere
    It has to start sometime
    What better place than here
    What better time than now.....
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,856
    Nakamura seems so toned down though, which annoys me. If anyone has seen his feud with Hirooki Goto over the IC you'll know he can put on a variety of good matches with strong storytelling.

Nakamura strikes me as the kind of guy that will phone it in unless he's on the top of the card.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    He phoned it in with roode. But he was working a roode boring match and not the style he works.

I honestly think the matches with Cena, Orton, Reigns, Rollins, and especially ambrose will be excellent

Ambrose and Nakamura seem like kindred spirits
  • StarhammerStarhammer The Laughing Man of SRK. Joined: Posts: 20,756 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Pertho wrote: »
    As the commisioner of GD, I would like to formaly announce that Kinniku Buster is now in a tag team with hornswoggle and they have Eva Marie as their manager so she can cut all their promos.

#BestBeleiveInFutureEndevoursBecauseYoureInOne

You.........................MONSTER!!!

-Starhammer-
    Always think it's strange when black dudes accuse other black dudes of not being hood enough. Like isn't that a good thing?

AV by Rick Ross.
    Actually having eva marie as a valet would give him heel heat like white heat

They should have Eva manage Roman Reigns
    edited April 6

I actually like Nakamura's first match with Roode better than his matches with Joe or even Zayn, because it was the kind of opponent Nakamura had never faced before. To me, that match showed that Nakamura was ready for the Sports Entertainment way of doing things which is ultimately what is going to make him do well in WWE. I feel the same way about Owens/Steen and Zayn/Generico: they were stellar workers on the Indies, but when they came to WWE they unveiled a side of themselves they hadn't shown before (well, Generico way more so than Steen. "My name is Kevin Steen...AND FUCK RING OF HONOR!"). Generico was never known for his promos but Sami Zayn quickly established himself as one of the best promos in all of NXT during his stay there.

• odinodin holy bybel Joined: Posts: 15,737 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Gotch will end up in TNA.

And succeed wonderfully like

250px-304Aron.png

T-Rex.jpg
    edited April 6

Dragon Gate been fire since the build up to tozawa's farewell

The saddest part of noah getting swooped was the death of noah vs njpw, specifically Nakajima/Shibata

Nakajima is an awesome ace, but i think he would be better served in new japan. Especially with how basically kensuke adopted him. NJPW loves legacy wrestlers.

I want Nakajima to sign with new japan and have a run there.

It is similar to how i feel about Lashley in tna.

Hey we could get Lashley/Nakajima

Or even Nakajima/Johnny Mundo

I'm torn on NJPW vs Noah not working out. The buildup was awesome and I really thought Shibata would be fighting Nakajima or Shiozaki at the dome. When Shibata turned up on Noah and just beat Shiozaki clean I was just confused at the booking but I guess it makes sense now. The NJPW/Noah relationship ending allowed Noah to finally eject Suzuki-Gun and leave the booking hell they were trapped in. Sugiura turning face was a tremendously popular decision, Nakajima is a great champion, Kotoge moving to Heavyweight was super hot and the TNA talent they're borrowing are working well for them.

Nakajima and Marufuji should both jump ship, they would do really well in NJPW. Tbh, even though I said Noah is on the up they'd probs be better off in AJPW or DDT as well. Nakajima wouldn't go to All Japan though, him and Kento Miyahara hate each other's guts.

I also think the legacy wrestler with the most potential long term right now is Daichi Hashimoto. Great fire and very competent in-ring with lots of charisma. He's currently paying his dues in Big Japan Wrestling atm but a few years down the line and he could be massive.
    Post edited by _Hamsworth_ on
    edited April 6
    People are sleeping on big japan because they think it is death match

No the big strong title is dope. Daisuke Sekimoto vs Ishii needs to happen. Sekimoto for the g-1

But as far as tiers:

Njpw>ddt>dragon gate>>big japan>>>noah>>>>all japan

DDT is very successful because they play to their niche and to the main stream. They have a lot of tv presence and bring in entertainers.

Dragon Gate plays directly to the gays and women

New Japan is wwe. It works pretty well.

I have fell off on lucha, but cmll is pretty good again. While aaa is way too washed with old dudes.

I really do not want fenix and pentagon in tna with the crash connection.

Fuck that. Lucha Underground fell off for me when sexy star won the belt before pentagon

Hashimoto is being watched over by Chono telling him where to work and learn.

When dude gets signed by njpw he will be big thanks to being second gen. He has grown more from just doing his dad redux.

It's sort of the Dusty to Dustin kind of thing.

Nakajima needs to be the dude who retires Nagata
    edited April 6
    All Japan is bigger than Noah right now dude. Since crowning Kento as champ they've been doing really well for themselves. At this point he's gone over a year as champ and looks set to be a top ace throughout Japan. Their Champion Carnival tournament is about to start and the lineup is ridiculously good. Sekimoto, Shuji Ishikawa, Suwama, Kento, Zeus etc will all put on great matches and every day of the tournament will make tape this year.

They also have a superior junior division to Noah with young lads and veterans having consistently great matches. The recent push Koji Iwamoto got was amazing and shows how much faith they have in the next generation.

BJW's Strong Division is awesome. Love Sekimoto, Okabayashi, Ishikawa and Hideki Suzuki. Great rookies in the division too! I'm partial to the deathmatch stuff too as I'm a big fan of Isami Kodaka and Yuko Miyamoto.

If anyone likes deathmatch/hardcore stuff definitely check out the semi-final from DDT Judgement, Daisuke Sasaki challenging Jun Kasai for the Extreme Championship. One of the craziest spotfests I've ever seen. Kasai breaks his nose on a diving headbutt into a ladder halfway through the match and carries on like it's nothing. Worth noting that Kasai is one of the most ruined wrestlers I've ever seen with hideous scars all over but still manages to be very popular with the ladies. He also had the best name for a finisher ever (Pearl Harbour Splash). Sasaki is probably the most versatile wrestler on their roster having learned from Dick Togo who I've become a big fan of over time. Very creative match.
  • spudlyff8fanspudlyff8fan is love. Joined: Posts: 7,082
    dab00g wrote: »
    Actually having eva marie as a valet would give him heel heat like white heat

They should have Eva manage Roman Reigns

Eva is steadily being dialed back from any sort of acknowledgement in the WWE right now, which would suggest she's getting cut later this year.
  • PaolochunPaolochun so that I / can say I'm on your side Joined: Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    "The secret to strength is daily training."
    Chun-Li Street Fighter V training mode
    edited April 7

If anyone likes deathmatch/hardcore stuff definitely check out the semi-final from DDT Judgement, Daisuke Sasaki challenging Jun Kasai for the Extreme Championship. One of the craziest spotfests I've ever seen. Kasai breaks his nose on a diving headbutt into a ladder halfway through the match and carries on like it's nothing. Worth noting that Kasai is one of the most ruined wrestlers I've ever seen with hideous scars all over but still manages to be very popular with the ladies. He also had the best name for a finisher ever (Pearl Harbour Splash). Sasaki is probably the most versatile wrestler on their roster having learned from Dick Togo who I've become a big fan of over time. Very creative match.
    Jun Kasai has problems in the head to go through the shit that he does for minor league pay. At least guys like Drake Younger and Dean Ambrose now make major league money at the end of the wild nonsense they endured in CZW, but people like Kasai and Abdullah Kobayashi have been Indy nutters for many years now and they feel no closer to getting their big (positive) break than they were when they first rose to prominence. It's particularly sad on Kasai's part because he's an excellent technical wrestler and could probably make a decent living wrestling "normal" matches.

Kobayashi has become an Okada tribute wrestler
  • PerthoPertho The Runed One Joined: Posts: 22,412 mod
    d3v wrote: »
    Pertho wrote: »
    As the commisioner of GD, I would like to formaly announce that Kinniku Buster is now in a tag team with hornswoggle and they have Eva Marie as their manager so she can cut all their promos.

#BestBeleiveInFutureEndevoursBecauseYoureInOne

Since I future endeavoured the other thread, what does that make me?

Eh....what?!
    Ronin Chaos on Pertho:

"Oh, Pertho. You complete me."
    jimmy1200 wrote: »
    pertho attacked me first, saying i get all my life tips from 106th and park.
  • TheWholeFnShowTheWholeFnShow Been here too long. Joined: Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited April 7
    Man, these talks about Japanese death matches reminds me of the mid/late 90s when my friends traded tapes. I still have a death match compilation VHS somewhere. It was mostly FMW stuff with Onita, Mr. Pogo, Hayabusa, Mike Awesome, etc. Some of that was pretty brutal.
    SRK's Kristin Kreuk lover: 2000 - 2006
    SRK's Brenda Song lover: 2006 - 2011
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 26,856
    AJ Lee and Justin Roberts both released their books. Anyone read their books? I know Roberts book calls out JBL and Benoit for all the bullying they did.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    Benoit by all accounts was a sadistic masochist who enjoyed watching people get wrecked

Hell bob holly thought he would go too far, and bob admits to being a bastard
  • LantisLantis Can you fly, Bobby? Joined: Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

Seems like ADR has had one too many tequilas....
    There's no holding me back
    I'm not driven by fear
    I'm just driven by anger
    And you're under attack
  • WilWil Joined: Posts: 6,170
  • Swedish ChefSwedish Chef Cream of the Crop! Joined: Posts: 8,883
    edited April 8
    Korbidon wrote: »
    I'll be in Japan in May. I'm going to go to the best of the Super Juniors. Just need to pick a day.
    Whatever day has the obligatory Ospreay vs Riccochet rematch is probably a good bet.
    Man, these talks about Japanese death matches reminds me of the mid/late 90s when my friends traded tapes. I still have a death match compilation VHS somewhere. It was mostly FMW stuff with Onita, Mr. Pogo, Hayabusa, Mike Awesome, etc. Some of that was pretty brutal.
    Awesome/Gladiator vs Tanaka matches are the greatest car-crashes, they were a real special attraction matchup. How Tanaka is still wrestling to this day with the bumps he took is absolutely bonkers.
    Not too familiar with Mr. Pogo unfortunately but Talking about Onita might as well post him and Chono having two of the greatest back to back entrances ever at the Tokyo dome.

As for Hayabusa god damn he was the shit. The dude was doing the modern high flying style you see today over a decade before other wrestlers. Plus his name, theme and look were fucking awesome.

In other news bunch of shit going down in the JBL/Mauro situation, seems like Mauro's done with WWE and there's a shitstorm brewing around JBL, with past and recent accusations coming up against him. if it blows up in news/media enough they could very well have another Demott situation.
    TAKING YOU PUNKS DOWN!!!
    ^Bubbleberry_VII you are so godlike for making this.
    Korbidon wrote: »
    I'll be in Japan in May. I'm going to go to the best of the Super Juniors. Just need to pick a day.

Dragon Lee/Kushida if that match happens watch it

KUSHIDA came up in lucha, dragon lee is also the next big wwe signing
    I don't think Jun Kasai is looking to "make it" in wrestling. Dude is already super popular and can work pretty much anyone and high up the card. He was in the semi at Judgement and that's one of DDT's big 3 events. These deathmatch guys are mostly all older and just appear to enjoy whatever it is they get out of it. Isami Kodaka is a fine singles wrestler in the traditional sense and has main evented DDT PPVs in normal matches and still goes back to BJW to get superplexed off ladders onto piles of broken glass and steel chairs.

• ChachiChachi The Masterpiece Joined: Posts: 4,784
    I'm kinda disappointed that Mauro is gone from WWE so soon, but he was never going to move past the Smackdown desk because of political reasons. Curious if JBL is actually going to be fired for doing what he thought he was supposed to be doing (I'm not saying what he did is okay, but it's ingrained as part of the culture at this point), and if so, would WWE settle for a Tom Phillips/David Otunga team? (assuming Tom himself stays out of further trouble)
    "Now I can spend that flight money on gettin some titties in my face"- KC's Notorious

CFN ID: TKC_ChachiPC Fightcade: Chachi

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file